[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should the reincarnation spell always put the subject back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: LwhzHkT.jpg (141KB, 490x710px) Image search: [Google]
LwhzHkT.jpg
141KB, 490x710px
Why should the reincarnation spell always put the subject back into a body that's young adult age?

isn't that cheating? If you start aging, you commit suicide and get brought back into a younger body, and you could luck out and becoming an elf with a 750 year lifespan.

Why can't reincarnate bring you back into something older or younger than young adult?
>>
>>51695154
Do it too many times and psychopomps or inevitables get pissed at you.
>>
>>51695154
>Why can't reincarnate bring you back into something older or younger than young adult?
because magic is about being able to cheat
>>
what if reincarnation spell makes you forget about your earlier ego?
>>
File: sensible chuckle.jpg (65KB, 533x700px) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.jpg
65KB, 533x700px
>>51695154
>[magic]
>isn't that cheating?
>>
>>51695154
Okay, that is a damn qt.

Also, and keep in mind this is complete bullshit I'm making up now, it would far easier to subvert an existing will that has not been strengthened with time. Nearly nonexistent minds are easier to overpower than those of fully grown thinking adults.
>>
File: Tanya-Degurechaff-27195.jpg (456KB, 750x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Tanya-Degurechaff-27195.jpg
456KB, 750x1067px
>>51695311

You might as well be rolling up a new character, unless you can become some enlightened being in the future and gain back all your memories.

>>51695322

To be fair, Reincarnation is only available to hippy druids who are supposed to be against breaking the cycles of nature.

>>51695353

But the spell says you get to keep your mind, feats, etc.

No guide is going to tell you have "Orcish instincts" force your character to fall into rage and smack people in the face.
>>
>>51695389
>reincarnation makes you lose ego
it seems like a fun drawback though. Like, if you aren't powerful enough you will only have snippets of your earlier life
>>
>>51695311
As long as super ego and id are maintained, I would say it's no big deal.
>>
>>51695553
oh sorry, i meant your entire consciousness. Like reincarnation spell that makes you reincarnate the Buddhist way
>>
D&D is a game about going in to dungeons, killing monsters, and taking their stuff. "Dying peacefully of old age" is so down on the list of this relevant to that setup that no dev bothered thinking about the ramifications.

Alternatively, bodies don't die of old age; the soul is what ages and eventually can't hold on to a living shell anymore. Killing gramma and having her come back as a young adult just means that she'll leave a younger and prettier corpse when she dies of old a few years later in a 22-year-old body.
>>
>>51695609
Then there is no real point to using it vs. rolling a new character.
>>
>>51695609
That wouldn't work in most D&D settings as they have established afterlives. If anything, it would be seen as total destruction of the soul and stealing the victim away from their eternal rest, a horrible fate that only a soul damned to the lower planes would even consider.

Also there's the issue that Reincarnation makes a (young) adult; losing all existing personality and memories works if your soul's new vessel is a baby but not when you're supposed to be fully grown.
>>
>>51695748
>Reincarnation is actually the foulest necromancy.
>>
>>51695705
Yeah, at best it's an in-universe justification for why Bob can jump right back in with his new character in the middle of a dungeon.
>>
>>51695748
>>51695705
read this >>51695480

As you can see i don't know shit about DnD though. I still don't think it's good idea for PCs, but might be pretty fun for BBEG
>>
>>51695748

>Also there's the issue that Reincarnation makes a (young) adult

Uh, what?
>>
>>51695821
Did you read the OP post? Or the text description of the spell we're talking about?

D&D 3.PF has the spell create "an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit," and 5e's version says "the spell forms a new adult body for it and then calls the soul to enter that body."
>>
>>51695389
>But the spell says you get to keep your mind, feats, etc.
I know, what I said is that your mind replaces the infant one. It would be harder if the other mind was an equal to your own.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.