[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long is one turn in nethack? I'm trying to convert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: nethack.png (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nethack.png
127KB, 1024x768px
How long is one turn in nethack?

I'm trying to convert the prayer timeout mechanic for tabletop and just got done with most of the math but noticed I don't know what the turn corresponds to in LL time units.
>>
File: Brave New World.jpg (40KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
Brave New World.jpg
40KB, 640x469px
>>51674837
I don't know what nethack is, but 'Prayer Timeout' is a really evocative phrase. Thank you.
>>
>>51674899
Glad to be of service. Nethack is a neat little solitaire DnD vidya. Prayer timeout here refers to the time until it's "safe" to pray for help (and not anger your deity for being a bother too often).

I've understood the source code enough to be able to mimic it with dice and coins, but the result is in nethack turns. I suppose I could just handwave it as 10 seconds like AD&D did.
>>
>>51675010
Very interesting.

To me, a prayer timeout sounds like a really terrifying theological event for a fantasy priest.
>>
>>51674837
Nethack has actions that all take varying times, measured in seconds. There is no 'turn', really.
>>
You should probably not try to directly convert from nethack since that's highly abstracted and probably tweaked for balance reasons rather than logic. Just think of something that seems reasonable.
>>
File: Let's Do Math.jpg (103KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
Let's Do Math.jpg
103KB, 728x546px
>>51674837
These types of things tend to be abstract or inconsistent timescales. I tried to use hunger to get a feel for the scale, but it's impractical when you consider that other actions have to happen in the same frame (math below). Might be smarter just to call prayer timeout a few weeks or so, assuming Nethack-style bugging-your-deity-to-save-your-life praying.

Just hopped to the wiki, starvation occurs at (-200 - 20*Con). I have no clue what you're playing, so I'm going to assume the equivalent of 12 Nethack Con. Therefore starvation is at -440 nutrition. Players are known to start with 900. At a rate of 1 per turn (base rate as per the wiki), a player goes from satiated to dead by starvation after 1340 turns without anything to eat.

Now we know Nethack's timescale, let's compare to reality, it's the closest yardstick I have. Wikipedia says starvation occurs at 8-12 weeks, I'm picking 8 to keep the time scale saner. 1340/8 = 167.5 turns/week. Round to 168.

Scale down to check it still makes sense given it takes 1 turn to attack: 168/7 = 24turns/day = 1 turn/hour.

This means that Vlad takes an entire hour to kill. My rusty can opener Vladsbane disagrees.

If we go with DnD-style 1 combat turn is ~6 seconds, we can try to scale from the bottom-up. At 6 seconds per turn, death by starvation occurs at 8040s or...about 2.25 hours.

Grandma, what a fast metabolism you have!
In a nutshell, listen to >>51675624 and >>51675669 . Direct conversion isn't going to work.
>>
File: 1339219660865.gif (32KB, 250x292px) Image search: [Google]
1339219660865.gif
32KB, 250x292px
>>51675624
>>51675669
>>51675687
Thank you for the exhaustive writeup, I was going to balance it eventually, once it's playtested, but now at least I know I don't have to bother with the math too hard.

I'll keep working on this thing.
>>
>>51675769
Oh yeah, you could also go ask the autists on >>>/vg/rlg/ for some information as well if you need it
>>
>>51675301
You pray for forgiveness, and lo, the Almighty sayth:
"Stop bugging me, it's only 4 am".
>>
Yeah, that's a problem with all roguelikes, the timescale is all kinds of fucked up along with the fact that everything takes place on one square meaning the massive dragon takes the same space up as the church mouse.
>>
>>51676182

Not all of them. Cataclysm: DDA is pretty careful with its timescale, for one. (They're working on multitile creatures, too.)
>>
tldr - it works completely different. I'd rule 1 prayer per day, that's what it feels like when playing.
Nethack is a lot like AD&D, why not use that?

Nethack uses speed pools. Quick explanation, in case you're curious:
Each 'game instant', all creatures in the map get +1 to their Speed pool. If they have more than 10, they can take an action, otherwise they are skipped. When taking action, the creature (usually) loses 10 speed points.
When you can take action, the game freezes while you input your command.
If you have LOTS of speed points you can keep taking actions until you are under 10 - like your pet moving twice for each time you move. This also allows knights killing dragons without taking a single hit.
After all creatures had their 'turn' (whether they took action or not), the process starts again.

Some actions drain lots of speed points, like baing paralyzed or digging. They put your speed in negative numbers and that takes a lot of time to recover - meanwhile all the monsters do their bussiness at max frames per second.

Hope that makes sense
>>
>>51679707
>get +1 to their Speed pool
Sorry, they get their speed stat. I think humans start at speed 10 (so you take action once per game-instant), other critters have different values, and of course this stat changes as you play.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.