[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /tg/, I'm brand new to this board so please forgive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1124.jpg (124KB, 765x983px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1124.jpg
124KB, 765x983px
Hello /tg/, I'm brand new to this board so please forgive me if I lack etiquette that is common here.

I have gotten into the wonderful game known as D&D, and recently I have taken up DMing. I take great joy in creating dungeons and writing stories even before I knew about D&D, and when I discovered it I immediately knew that this is my cup of tea. Now as a new DM, I have realized that this game is infinitely more versatile than any other I've ever encountered before, and a railroad plot would rarely work. My problem is, one of my player is out to get me, to render my campaign a joke and to sail through everything with ease. Although I am very positive that I would be able to outsmart him every time he attempts to throw me a curve ball, I thought getting advice from experts would be enlightening. A few guidelines I will stand by:
1. I will not kill him off, that's equivalent to surrendering.
2. The fun of the players are my priority, including this idiot who's trying to fuck with me.
3. To ensure that the game remains challenging, rewarding, and fun.

Any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you.
>>
How is he trying to fuck with you?
>>
>>51673053
Welcome to /tg/, enjoy your stay.
I'm not sure whether or not this will change a lot, but can you tell us what edition you're playing? My guess is you're playing 5e/Next, but 3.5e and 4e still enjoy a strong following so it could be one of those two as well.
>>
>>51673067
Mage hand and mind control, it's just idle threats currently while we are not playing, but I'd like to be prepared.

>>51673068
5e, and thank you.
>>
>>51673053
In which way is he trying to get at you?
>>
>My problem is, one of my player is out to get me, to render my campaign a joke and to sail through everything with ease. Although I am very positive that I would be able to outsmart him every time he attempts to throw me a curve ball, I thought getting advice from experts would be enlightening.

Either after or before a session, pull him aside and tell him what he's doing wrong and why you don't like it. If he completely disregards that discussion or throws a fit, kick him out.
>>
>>51673087
To find unconventional shortcuts to completing quests and kill bosses. I don't want to discourage creativity, but I don't want him to ruin the fun and challenge for other players.
>>
>>51673094
Here's the issue with that, he's a fucker and I hate him, but I also love him because he's a very loyal friend. A dumbass of a fucking friend who is precious to me.
>>
>>51673115
So I want to make him happy and play along with his shenanigans and make him feel clever for as far as I can go without ruining the experience for the other players.
>>
>>51673103
How is he going to kill bosses with mage hand? It can only carry 10 pounds and can't attack. It can pour out vials, but vials can be broken by a simple arrow or thrown stone before it can be poured.

And mind control isn't unconventional...
>>
>>51673159
So far those are the only tools available to him, so I'm not too worried, but his knowledge of the game vastly surpasses mine so with that edge I fear he may become a problem down the road. He has somewhat of an inferiority complex towards me and he's been waiting for many years for an opportunity to show me up.
>>
>>51673053
>one of my player is out to get me
You are an impartial arbiter of a game played for fun.
You cannot be “got”.

>to render my campaign a joke
If this prevents you and the other players from having fun, then this is unacceptable.
Communicate with him clearly so that he knows that breaking the game so that nobody has fun will not be tolerated.

>sail through everything with ease.
Scale challenges and even if he hits the “easy” button every game, then he will get bored.
>Yay. You win everything ever. How exciting. Wanna play again? Oh look you already won. Yay.

>>51673079
>Mage hand and mind control
Sounds like he heard of some fancy tricks.
Learn the game. Follow the rules. Do not handwave and let him do what he cannot.
Remember that you create the world and remember Rule 0.

>it's just idle threats currently while we are not playing, but I'd like to be prepared.
Sounds like trash talk.

>>51673103
>To find unconventional shortcuts to completing quests and kill bosses.
Nothing wrong with this at all.
I don't want him to ruin the fun and challenge for other players.
His character has limitations, don’t let him ignore them.

>>51673115
>Here's the issue with that, he's a fucker and I hate him, but I also love him because he's a very loyal friend. A dumbass of a fucking friend who is precious to me.
You still don’t have to play with him if he ruins the game and refuses to stop.
But, that sounds like a long way off yet.
>>
File: 6.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51673053
>please forgive me
§34 clearly states that in order to ask for forgiveness in advance
you have to sign protocol 92b and notify the authorities 3 weeks in advance.
Due to the powers granted to me by the Azorius Guild I speak justice and declare the following:
Forgiveness not granted the punishment is two weeks in a holding cell.
>>
>>51673103
>To find unconventional shortcuts to completing quests and kill bosses.
That's called good role playing dude.
>>
>>51673214
Thank you very much for the detailed response, I will keep all of that in mind.
Regarding the fact that I cannot be "got", if I were to be a D&D character, my flaw would be that my pride would be my undoing. I simply cannot resist the urge to accept his challenges on equal footing. I'd like to avoid "you cannot do that" unless it would truly fuck the game.
>>
>>51673228
Fuck
>>51673237
I definitely agree with what you are saying, but the result of this "good role playing" may come at the expense of the fun of the other players and I'd like some countermeasures if it gets severe. Like I've previously stated, my knowledge of the game is but a joke compared to his. Don't you worry though, I've been studying D&D like a course I'm taking in school.
>>
File: Fishy Chan.jpg (50KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
Fishy Chan.jpg
50KB, 680x510px
Can't tell if OP is baiting or if he's a twat. Ignoring for the moment how that line about "surrendering" to him makes you sound like someone with a superiority complex, the fact that you take issue with a player trying to complete quests and kill bosses in unconventional ways pretty much solidifies that you're a passive aggressive bitch. Lateral thinking and creativity are beautiful qualities to possess. If you're the type of person who puts hours and hours of prep work into the campaign and is worried that the work will get thrown out the window by an unexpected solution you need to get your player(s) to agree to work with you when that happens and take the path you had planned for, as long as you aren't asking them to do so more than once every five or six sessions. If it does happen more than once in a handful of sessions you need to stop prepping so much and learn how to improvise. And if you can't do that you need to find a different player or a different group, because you are the glitch in the code.
>>
>>51673284
Sorry but I'm going to ignore this, it would take too long to explain again.
>>
>>51673294
Posted it before refreshing so I didn't see your elaborations, but the problem still rests with you. If that guy does succeed at just blendering through every challenge you throw at the group and the other players are bored because they don't have enough to do you have to explain the problem to this guy and acquire his compliance. If you cannot get it you either need to abruptly become capable of designing challenges he can't curb stomp or you need to kick him out of the game. >>51673214 makes a good point when he says that all characters have some limitations and to use that, and there isn't really all that much more advice that can be given. You can design challenges so that monetary, roleplay, and experience rewards are greater if beaten in a certain fashion. You can give in-game motivation for characters to fight and behave in certain ways. That's kind of it, though.
>>
>>51673367
Thank you very much for taking the time to read through the elaborations, I will definitely keep your advices in mind.
>>
>>51673251
>I simply cannot resist the urge to accept his challenges on equal footing. I'd like to avoid "you cannot do that" unless it would truly fuck the game.
It's not about exerting your GM fiat power.
The idea is that the "win scenario" for the GM is a good game for everyone.
Him crushing your challenges is not a loss if everyone is enjoying the game.
He cannot "get" you.
The GM literally cannot be defeated because it is not a PC vs. GM game.

All he can do is ruin the game for everyone, which should not ever be tolerated.
>>
>>51673053
Remember Subjective Morality is Best Morality
>>
>>51673053
>I'm brand new to this board so please forgive me if I lack etiquette that is common here.
Btw, depending on how new you are to our board culture, there is something I'd like to point out:
>>51673284
>Can't tell if OP is baiting or if he's a twat. Ignoring for the moment how that line about "surrendering" to him makes you sound like someone with a superiority complex, the fact that you take issue with a player trying to complete quests and kill bosses in unconventional ways pretty much solidifies that you're a passive aggressive bitch
This anon was being relatively polite.

Welcome to /tg/!
Your waifu is shit.
Your favorite edition sucks.
Your opinions are objectively wrong.
Enjoy your stay!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.