[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 112

File: Magic Primer (+0).png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer (+0).png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Colorless matters edition!

To make cards download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
or register for free here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>51594922
>>
File: Clockwork Moon.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Clockwork Moon.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Balanced? Yes, no, maybe?
>>
File: Jeskai Grandmaster.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jeskai Grandmaster.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>51656911
And another one. Just pretend Wizards didn't decided to completely fuck Tarkir, and instead the dragons integrated into the clans. Wait, why weren't there any Eastern Dragons in Tarkir?
>>
>>51657043
Whoops, forgot to include an ability to say it's colorless. But should I use the Ghostfire wording, or Devoid?
>>
>>51657062
Ghostfire, in my opinion. Devoid was a set-specific thing. Kinda like how you could have a card with a Morbid trigger outside Innistrad and you wouldn't put Morbid on it because it's not Innistrad.

>>51656911
>eggs
>>
>>51656782
>implying the choice between Felicia and MJ wouldn't cause madness
>>
File: Dedicated Ranger.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dedicated Ranger.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>51656911
Sure is Tolarian Academy.

>card
He's got a Favored Enemy. +2 to his attack and damage rolls against his favored enemy.
>>
File: Grand Discovery.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grand Discovery.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
A colorless draw X spell, to help out certain decks that don't have enough draw power. Conditional Flash might be too much.

>>51657144
>>51657186
So, that's two no's to Clockwork? Fair enough. I'll probably turn it into an enchantment or something.

>>51657186
>card
Could be interesting. Probably best in a tribal set.

>>51657144
>Ghostfire
True. And I did like the idea that it could work with Morph and Manifest.
>>
File: Talent Seeker.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Talent Seeker.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>51657349
Well, any color can theoretically run artifacts that allow them to draw, but at a steep-ish price for the luxury. I suppose this isn't that much different. The instant speed for 2 more is probably fine, since you have to dump 6 mana into it for a single instant-speed card and that's really not very good at all.

Have a new twist on an old idea I had way back when. This would probably have to go in a set that had a higher than normal complexity to be okay, and wouldn't be alright for actual MtG. Think of it like spellshaping for triggered abilities.
>>
>>51657845
crap, I keep forgetting to credit the artist. Old habits die especially hard. It's Jee-Hyung Lee.
>>
>>51657845
The problem is that triggered abilities often need to know something about the triggering object, which leads to lots of shenanigans. Yes, undefined information has defaults, but the scope of this is pretty narrow.

Also, we're not /r/custommagic. We rarely stand on artist credit here.
>>
>>51657922
I know, but I wanted to get into the habit of crediting so people could find it themselves without me having to source and it's just sort of a nice-ish gesture.

I have to apologize; I'm tired and am not quite following the issue with forcibly triggering a triggered ability. What sorts of triggers do you think could/would cause a problem?
>>
>>51658013
Consider something like
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards a card.
If I trigger its ability with a Mote, there's no "that player" to reference. Technically the rules handle this and nothing happens.

Or Metallurgic Summonings
>Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, create an X/X colorless Construct artifact creature token, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
Which will make a 0/0, because unverifiable information defaults to 0. Technically it works.

The problem is that these are technically working things that I think make for awkward design. Yes, there are lots of abilities that never reference some facet of their trigger, but many do. They either need the triggering entity to direct that effect, say
>Whenever a creature you control attacks, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Or need part of the triggering event to qualify or quantify it
>Whenever a creature deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
>>
>>51658098
Ahh okay, derp. I get what you mean now.

I guess my main issue is that since you can choose to sac a Mote to trigger an ability, you'd probably not want to do it on something that doesn't work or make sense. Player agency kinda moderates the issue, or at least one would hope. Though in the last two cases, I can see how it might cause issues anyway, especially with new players who wouldn't get how that works exactly. I guess I would just have to either change it to copy triggered abilities, which is what the original concept did, or fiddle with it more. I just have the same issue now as I did then; copying triggered abilities shows up on rares only. In fact, most references to them show up on rares. That kinda limits the Mote mechanic on a whole if I had to go with copying.
>>
File: Gwynma Academy Outcast.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gwynma Academy Outcast.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Anything glaringly broken with her? Criticism/comments for her design?
>>
>>51658366
I'd prefer if it didn't have hexproof it costed 1 mana, and was a 1/1, the mana cost for the ability is really enough to balance it on its own
>>
File: L11 The God Emperor.jpg (57KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
L11 The God Emperor.jpg
57KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51658155
You could make the Motes trigger a specific subset of abilities, like only ETB abilities, since those won't need additional information to function, but that's obviously going to make things wordier.

Definitely isn't a great idea as-is 'cause of all the rules complications.
>>
File: Cosmic Tuning Tower.jpg (57KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic Tuning Tower.jpg
57KB, 375x523px
Does this seem like it could be useful, or at least somewhat interesting?

>>51657845
>card
Screams rare. I know what you said about complexity, but still. Yeah, what the other guys said, it doesn't work very well like this. I'd make it like Strionic Resonator and say
>Discard a card and sacrifice this enchantment: Copy target triggered ability from a creature source you control. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Also, it's odd to me that the token is a colorless enchantment. Kinda wondering why it isn't an artifact.
>>
>>51660566
I guess it's "copy target triggered ability yada yada" after all. Course if I wanted to make it trigger etbs exclusively I'd just make it flicker stuff.
>>
File: Wanda the Scarlet Witch3.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wanda the Scarlet Witch3.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
This card is supposed to inspire chaos, as the character does. Not sure I get the idea across well though.
>>
File: Gar Logan Beast Boy4.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gar Logan Beast Boy4.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Bump. I hope this is good enough to effectively cheat out creatures, but not so good it's OP. Oh, and I did check, the first ability will return the card to its owner's hand even after Beast Boy transforms into a copy of a creature, and therefore loses that ability. Hmm, actually, should I have him also gain the activated ability again so he can transform multiple times?
>>
File: Macha the Temptress.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Macha the Temptress.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Another .hack// Avatar. There may or may not be a theme of "verbing nouns this way doesn't cause abilities of ~ to trigger."
>>
>>51667169
That one doesn't recurse, you can leave off the does not trigger clause.
>>
>>51667186
I think it needs to be there because a "control gaining" event occurs even if you already control that creature. Control changes continue to stack and simply apply top down, so I think it does actually recurse.
>>
>>51667277
The gaining control effect happens, yeah, but it won't recurse because you're gaining control of a permanent you control unless they're idiots and steal it back before the trigger resolves. Trigger condition is only gaining control of something an opponent controls.
>>
>>51667508
>Trigger condition is only gaining control of something an opponent controls.
Hurr durr, you're right. Brain fart on my part.
>>
>>51667169
Does this work with anything other than Treason effects?
>>
File: Innis the Mirage of Deceit.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Innis the Mirage of Deceit.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>51667884
Turns all control-changing effects permanent, but otherwise no.

I posted the First Phase, Skeith, last thread. So I guess I'll post the Second Phase, Innis. Cost and body up for debate, because some of these effects are so incredibly weird.
>>
File: Magus the Propagation.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Magus the Propagation.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>51668087
Phase 3. Originally Propagated when you placed counters and Proliferated when you made tokens, but that put him in Bant (and I later switched them to color pairs and not shards/wedges) and took too much space from my idea for Innis, so he got toned down.

Probably the weakest and/or most boring of the eight, because he's just a fancy Doubling Season that lets you redistribute the counters as opposed to them going directly on the original.
>>
>>51668868
What is the flavor of these things? All I see is the Xzbit meme. "Yo dawg, I heard you like to get counters. So I made a card so you can get counters while you get counters!"
>>
File: Tears In My Heart.png (294KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tears In My Heart.png
294KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Reprints.jpg (882KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Reprints.jpg
882KB, 1875x1046px
Haven't really worked on any cards other than Beast Boy and Scarlet Witch, so have some reprints.

>>51671025
Eh, not sure about this, mostly because damage turning into draw is more of a GU concept to me. Actually, maybe just throw some Blue in there. No idea on balance though, sorry.
>>
File: Fidchell the Prophet.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fidchell the Prophet.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
>>51669816
So in .hack//, the flavor is like nested three levels deep. .hack// is a game about a fictional game based vaguely off a (fictional) incomplete epic poem about the forces of light and darkness uniting to fight off a terrible foe known as the Cursed Wave. The Wave has eight phases, as described in the poem:

>Unknown where the Cursed Wave was born…
>After the stars doth cross the heavens,
>The sky in the East doth darken and air doth fill with mourning.
>From the chosen land beyond the forest, a sign of the wave comes.
>Riding the wake is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands.
>Mirage of Deceit, Innis, Betray all with the flawed image, and did aid the Wave.
>And by the Power of Magus, a drop from the Wave doth reach the heavens, and creates a new Wave.
>With the Wave, Fidchell, the power to tell the dark future, hope darkens, sadness and despair rule.
>Gorre schemes when swallowed by the Cursed Wave.
>Macha seduces with the sweet trap.
>Wave reaches the Pinnacle, and escape none can. Tarvos still remains with more cruelty to punish and destroy.
>And with the turbulent destruction after the Wave. Only a void remains. From deep within the void arrives Corbenik.
>Perhaps then the Wave is just a beginning as well.

So the original .hack// quadrilogy (IMOQ) is based around an MMO called The World. The World was created by an insane genius to (secretly) create the ultimate AI (Aura), as overseen by a less ultimate AI called Morganna. Realizing that she would be purposeless if Aura was ever born, she goes slightly insane and creates eight fragments (based off the phases of the Cursed Wave) to stall Aura's birth, which end up being eight big bosses that punctuate the four games. Each one gets introduced with a fancy title,

>Skeith, the Terror of Death
>Innis, the Mirage of Deceit
>Magus, the Propagation
>Fidchell, the Prophet
>Gorre, the Machinator
>Macha, the Temptress
>Tarvos, the Avenger
>Corbenik, the Rebirth
>>
>>51671365
>>51671025
Also this is Knollspine Dragon, Sorcery Edition, so its actually solidly red. Might be too strong at 2R, as hyper aggressive decks can easily put out 5 or 6 damage turn three and then refill with that.
>>
>>51671434
First, it's functionally different. Second, one card does not prove precedence.
>>
File: Gorre the Machinator.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gorre the Machinator.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>51671485
Its a conditional wheel, and wheeling type effects are red even if they're not symmetrical. Discarding your hand to fuel draw effects is often enough to push otherwise blue or green draw effects into red, on both spells (Dangerous Wager) and creatures (Bedlam Reveler), and on continuous effects.

This effect could be UR, or maybe even BR, since it counts self-damage (or more so if it counted life loss instead of damage), but I don't think its anywhere near UG.
>>
>>51671626
Didn't say it was GU. I was just saying how turning damage into draw reminds me of GU, which is why I recommended changing it to UR, since I realize GU is a bad fit, and I felt that UR works better than RG.

>Gorre
Honestly, I don't even know how to judge any of these cards. They're all so situational and reliant on other effects to do anything. You would have to make a commander deck out of these things for them to actually see a lot of use, I think. Honestly, kinda thinking it would be better to go back to the drawing board on this one. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
>>
File: Tarvos the Avenger.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tarvos the Avenger.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>51671706
>You would have to make a commander deck out of these things for them to actually see a lot of use, I think.
Well, "wacky commander legendary" drives a lot of my designs, actually. As does "how far can I push a terrible mechanical theme". This happens to be a terrible intersection of the two, with the mechanical theme being "recursive triggered abilities." Since the flavor on the actual phases is suuuuper loose, it became more an exercise in uniquely fitting color pairs than anything.

Like Tarvos, who really is UR, but UR was taken by Fidchell (>>51671412), and who I thought was far too neat to rework. And I was struggling to come up with a vengeance-evoking recursion, so it got a sort of red punisher mechanic, and black for more... edgy punishment. A discard doubler was also considered, but discard got taken by Gorre, who I guess could have ended up as just a bounce doubler, but then I had a lot of just straight effect doublers (and Gorre was in itself competing with Skeith).

There's one more, who probably has the most rules text in a single ability of any of the eight. And that's saying something, since none of them are simple.

Also depending on the bodies and costs, I think I would play the shit out of most of these in EDH. Except Macha, maybe. But I love janky mechanical tribal, like Yasova Dragonclaw Threatens and Sakashima the Imposter Clones.
>>
File: Pheomne Bane of Heroes.png (280KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pheomne Bane of Heroes.png
280KB, 375x523px
>>51661623
So it's Hive Mind for abilities? Well, sans the "may", which is honestly part of the fun. At that cost it's probably fine.

>>51662385
I had to read this a few times to get the gist of it, but essentially it's a spellcast triggered Browbeat effect that each player can use? Could be fun in EDH I suppose. I feel like the effect is begging for her to have Prowess, even though Wanda doesn't really get any better when there's magic around, unless she got some upgrade that I am not aware of.

>>51664873
It depends; does he display the ability to shapechange on the fly? Because if so, then maybe he should be able to? I'd imagine his cost would go up at that rate.

>>51667169
>>51668087
These are just so goddamn narrow and strange that I don't even know how to judge them.

>>51668868
This one is actually more approachable. I wish you had at least attempted to cost him though, because I'm not sure what you're looking for regarding board presence. His ability alone is worth 4 or so mana, most likely.

>>51671365
I chuckled at Incremental Growth.

>>51671412
Again, not sure how to rate this, but I feel like there is little in the way of red here.

So compared to recent posts, this card is pretty boring. Not 100% sure on costs but it seems passable compared to Visara. Open to tweaks to make it play better. I know ditching the legendary clause would make it stronger but it's a flavor thing, I'll admit.
>>
File: Corbenik the Rebirth.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Corbenik the Rebirth.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>51671879
>Again, not sure how to rate this, but I feel like there is little in the way of red here.
Scry is primarily in U, then secondarily in red, and I wanted to avoid mono-color ones, so he ended up being UR.

Body-wise, they were originally about 4/4s and then those got shuffled around, but I think putting them all as 3/4s is a decent place for where I'd want their board presence to be. Being boltable six-mana plus creatures just feels awful.

As to their narrowness, I know full well they'd never see the light of day outside of an incredibly strange Commander deck. But I figured they would be an interesting if unusual design attempt. I've been feeling a bit dry on ideas lately, so doing something incredibly wacky has helped drive some of that creativity.

>card
Last one. It recurses your recursion, for that double Xzbit memery. Ignore the giant cannon in the art, wasn't even going to attempt capturing that bit of flavor from GU. It took about 45 hours of gameplay to get to the point where it makes sense, so yeah, not touching that with a 20 foot pole.

>Pheomne
She can target herself to be a 3/5 first strike deathtoucher on demand, but that does take 2R, so it might not be too crazy. I like it, though.
>>
>>51671992
This one is more approachable too. I think of all of them I like him the best. Cost and body seem fair to me, mainly because at 6 mana in two colors, you are about at that threshold where you can go nuts and do almost anything. The body is still relevant though, so that's nice. Could possibly be 4/4.
>>
>>51671992
>>51672131
Oh, and glad you like Pheomne. Admittedly the self-targeting trick was something I didn't even notice myself till after I finalized the design.
>>
>>51671879
>Pheomne
I don't get the vampiric untapping ability.
>>
>>51671879
>Cosmic Tuning Tower
I'll drop "may" then.

>Beast Boy
I think so? I'll probably add rapid changing regardless of whether or not he does it in lore.

>I chuckled at Incremental Growth
So did I.

>Pheomne
Already mentioned how strange I find the untapping. The rest seems fine, though being able to target herself is something I'm still not sure on.
>>
>>51671879
>>51674305
>Wanda
Honestly not happy with the design. I'll try something else. God I hate vague powers. She went from Black Cat to reality warping, who knows what her actual powers are, they change with the writer.
>>
File: Controlled Dismorphism.png (946KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Controlled Dismorphism.png
946KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Replant.png (1MB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Replant.png
1MB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Illusory Sanctum.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Illusory Sanctum.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Youve Unveiled My Trap Card.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Youve Unveiled My Trap Card.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
File: 1.png (491KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
491KB, 750x523px
>>
File: Plague.png (1MB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Plague.png
1MB, 1875x523px
>>
>>51676884
Meh, seems OK.

>>51676901
Unsure, kinda begs for a way to get them onto the field.

>>51677357
Drawback seems very harsh. Maybe bounce instead? At least make it sac only for spells and abilities opponents control, so you could save your stuff through thing like Hexproof spells.

>>51677404
>Unveiled
Come on, you're not even trying.
>>
>>51677496
Rats is nonsensical, given that it gives you creatures then asks if you have any creatures.
Watchful flat out doesn't work, given that you cast it on your turn, then sacrifice it because no opponent attacked you on your turn.
Weakening is overpowered as fuck.

All in all, they are shit.
>>
>>51676901
This is neat.

>>51677357
This is hard to cost, given that Asceticism is 3GG.

>>51677483
Lunar Glyphs is alright. Fiend's Market is awkward, and I don't care much for black casting anything out of its yard.
>>
>>51677496
Tons of wording issues, but I'm not on my conp so I can't go through them. I can say a few things though. First, you capitalize subtypes like Plague. The R one seems very weak due to being self-defeating, and the G one seems like an absolute nightmare to deal with if playing multiples. They would cripple any deck that isn't running colorless, or mana rocks/dorks.
>>
>>51677483
Lunar needs wording help. I'd make a replacement ability, so if it fulfilled the conditions, you'd just gain control of the spell.

Fiend's is... weird, really not liking it.
>>
File: Persistent Mimic.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Persistent Mimic.png
259KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Floras Pilgrim.png (297KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Floras Pilgrim.png
297KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51677947
So a worse self-mill?
That should be a fair bit cheaper, or out of bolt range at the least.
>>
I'm not sure what this breaks or not, but I have a concept for a hatebear.

Keeper of the Ineffable WW
Creature- Cat Cleric
Cards in libraries and graveyards have no types, colors, or names.
2/2

If someone drops a Gifts, can they pick any four cards, or can they pick no cards, because no names aren't different names? Would it be better to split it up somehow, (no names on one, no types on another, etc.) and if so, how?

Also, weird experiment.

Scornful Heir 4WW
Creature- Advisor
~ costs 1 less to cast for each tapped creature on the battlefield.
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
0/3
>>
>>51679694
>If someone drops a Gifts, can they pick any four cards, or can they pick no cards, because no names aren't different names? Would it be better to split it up somehow, (no names on one, no types on another, etc.) and if so, how?
>201.2a Two objects have the same name if their names are identical.
>201.2b If an object has more than one name, it has the same name as another object if there are one or more names that both objects have in common.
>201.2c Two or more objects have different names if there are no names that both objects have in common.

Nameless objects by definition share no names with anything else, so they can pick any four cards.

Heir seems like it wants to be an enchantment.
>>
>>51681033
Thanks.
The original erased CMCs and hit hands as well, then I realised that that made cascade absolutely insane and let you force people to discard lands.
>you were supposed to fuck with dredge and combo, not enable them.jpg
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter9.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter9.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
I think I'm starting to stray from my original idea for this.
>>
File: Revoke Flesh.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Revoke Flesh.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
>>51677971
>Worse self-mill
No, it's worse card draw. The idea is you play him when you have open mana and essentially draw cards then play them.

>>51677947
Needs to cost 2RR. Almost draw 2 with a 3/2 ontop is way too strong at 3 mana.
>>
>>51682193
The problem is that you rarely control when that creature leaves the battlefield, so its super easy for your opponent to ruin those draws. If it gets Shocked otherwise killed on your end step or on your opponents turned, its just mill 2, unless you're lucky and pull an Instant from the top.
>>
File: Future Guy8.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Future Guy8.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
Kinda wondering if I should make the ability some sort of protection/removal instead of tutor.
>>
File: 2353.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
2353.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>51683259
I think its fine, although the first and second abilities might be too similar. Hard to tell.

>card
Old Ajani.
>>
>>51684761
I like it.
>>
>>51684761
Yeah, I think I will change the second ability to protection or removal. Still need to come up with a name for him too.

>Ajani
Mirrodin Elspeth is 3WW and has the same first ability as a +2. Maybe upgrade to 2 life for each creature, or keep the lifegain as-is and make it +2. 0 is interesting. Not entirely sure on how to balance it though, but I think if the first ability were just +1 it would be fine. Emblem is cool. This might be a nitpick, but I think you should find art that at least hasn't bee used in a card. There's some good fanart out there too.
>>
File: Oneiromancer.png (283KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oneiromancer.png
283KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Riders of Ruin.png (273KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Riders of Ruin.png
273KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51686770
Significantly too powerful, because it shares the issues that instant-speed discard has.
>>
>>51674160
It's an odd attempt to find design space in red, mostly. I'd toyed with "red vigilance" before and hit upon it while at work. I thought I might test the waters. It struck me as potential keyword material as well.

>>51674312
>vague powers
This is why I don't port stuff into MtG. Too much undefined shit or too many square pegs and round holes.

>>51676901
Super cool. I am actually mad I didn't think of this for a set I was making way back when. Would have been perfect.

>>51677357
I agree that bounce is a better drawback.

>>51677483
Lunar Glyphs is cool, assuming it gets the wording tightened up. Maybe
>Counter target noncreature spell. If it's your turn, gain control of that spell instead.
Or something similar?

>>51677935
Neat/10. I love Clone variants.

>>51677947
So.. one less card than Act on Impulse but you get a 3/2 as well? Way to efficient. Maybe one card.

>>51682193
I like cards like this and Soul Bleed and stuff, but they can't seem to find a good spot for them cost-wise. This one is alright. I also like opponent's choice cards too, so it covers all the bases for me.

>>51683259
Well, sad you didn't include any of my feedback on this but hey, it's your card after all. I'm not a fan of the hard tutor, since I find it bland, but it's probably balanced overall. I dunno if you want removal since you already have that in the ult; it increases the chance that nobody will ever ult with it if the removal is any good.

>>51684761
I think the 0 is a bit much, but overall I like the feel and simplicity of it. Kudos.

>>51686770
This is super-oppressive. I think it needs to be toned down a lot. I like the first ability a lot, but the second one either needs its own card or to be neutered, I feel.

>>51686789
This doesn't come off as a RW card to me. More like BR. It's also very very strong.
>>
File: Celestial Wanderer.png (230KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Celestial Wanderer.png
230KB, 375x523px
Weird Angel idea I just had. Not even sure about the costing, because it's relatively easy to give it a pretty high toughness. I like the flavor of it though.
>>
>>51688228
A changeling gives it 235 toughness.
>>
>>51688268
Whew, well that's a glaring problem. I didn't even consider that. Suggestions for keeping the flavor? Just count creatures? Count different CMCs? Something else?
>>
>>51688297
Honestly, it's not really an issue. 235 toughness is a lot worse than indestructible, and a 2-3 power flyer at cmc 5 is already pretty mediocre.
If somebody wants to combo off it, they'd need three cards and lots of mana.
>>
>>51688331
I thought it might be too good at 3W since, even if you don't do the Changeling trick, you can pretty easily get a lot of toughness out of it since many creatures have two creature types, and there are plenty with three even. Figure it's good where it's at or should I push it?

Also, you can imagine my amusement that a 235 toughness creature is "not really an issue". I get why you say that, but it's still sort of funny.
>>
>>51688379
Magical christmasland would be hitting a different basic land each turn, and getting out a two typed creature each turn on curve with zero type overlap.
Even then, when everything went perfect, all you got was a 5/9 flyer that's prone to sudden death when something else bites it. Honestly, I'd rather have a Serra Angel.

High toughness is also a LOT less meaningful than high power.
>>
>>51687273
>This is super-oppressive. I think it needs to be toned down a lot. I like the first ability a lot, but the second one either needs its own card or to be neutered, I feel.
>>51687059
Imo it looks fine, powerful, but really only worth the cost when combined with milling.
>instant speed discard
Instant speed discard is a one card soft lock, this card isn't.
>>
>>51688228
Why those different values? Why not make both Domain, or both Changeling.
>>
File: Korro Tribal Hunter3.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Korro Tribal Hunter3.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>51687273
>This is why I don't port stuff into MtG. Too much undefined shit or too many square pegs and round holes.
At this point, I think it's more a test of my own design abilities, I just have to come up with a good design that incorporates the idea of randomness/chaos.

>Well, sad you didn't include any of my feedback on this but hey
Were you the one who said that the tutor should go to the top of the library, and that the ult would leave some permanents behind, right? Well, I am thinking of just changing the second ability altogether. Not entirely sure what to though. And I'll probably make some adjustments to the ult. But as for the tutor, I originally wanted it to go to hand rather than the top of the library since the original Lili puts it on top of the library.
>>
>>51689613
>but really only worth the cost when combined with milling.
you're a casual, aren't you?

>Instant speed discard-like effect
>Control what card is on top of opponent's library
>Lantern control
>Full knowledge of opponent's hand
>Also it is a Sensei's Divining Top
>Also it is an unblockable creature

>Instant speed discard is a one card soft lock, this card isn't.
You're right, it's TWO cards!
>>
>>51671365
>incremental growth
I am amused.
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (210KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
210KB, 1125x523px
Gettin' back into this for a bit maybe probably. Anyways, uncommon stuff.
>>
File: Future Guy9.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Future Guy9.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
New mid and ult abilities.

>>51692432
W making B tokens strikes me as odd, especially when they could easily be W. I guess I'm missing some flavor. Speaking of, why all they all journeys "in"? Why not "to"? Nitpicky, I know. Mechanically, I think the cards are pretty good, though the W one may be too efficient at that cost. Oh yeah, and they should all say
>When ~ has three or more travel counter on it, sacrifice it. If you do, [effect].
For the odd situations where it leaves the battlefield on the trigger, or the trigger gets copied or something.

You made the Citrus-Eye lady, right? How long have you been working on this set anyway? It just seems like you started it quite a while ago. It's primarily a focus on wedges, right?
>>
>>51692546
>You made the Citrus-Eye lady, right?
Ye she's dead right now because mechanics changed but yes that was me.

>How long have you been working on this set anyway?
It's been a hobby of mine for a while, nothing I'm really heavily focused on. Just some fun. I work on it sporadically, off and on.

>It's primarily a focus on wedges, right?
Yes.
>>
File: Fire Sculpting.png (281KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Sculpting.png
281KB, 375x523px
Hmm...

Uncommon, maybe?
>>
>>51692751
Yes, but I like it.
>>
File: Think Fast.png (293KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Think Fast.png
293KB, 375x523px
>>51692751
>>51692944
Moved to uncommon. Replacement for the common keyword slot.
>>
>>51692751
>>51692998
So an easier to trigger storm? What could possibly go wrong.
>>
>>51693216
>What could possibly go wrong.
>Ha ha! It's finally time to trigger my win condition! The NEW AND IMPROVED Grapeshot! I have it at FULL POWER!
>Casts spell
>6 damage to face
>Opponent ramps into Dragonstorm
oh wow such power.
>>
>>51693267
Show him the cards you have Insight on to convince him you have no intention on making it as OP as Storm.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (231KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
231KB, 1125x523px
>>51693323
I'm concerned with the power levels of a few of them. Painting the Sky, in particular, I'm watching closely. The rest of them are generally tame. I'm intentionally avoiding Mind's Desire-type effects and trying to pull in downsides where possible, to make it more of a risk/reward type thing than a raw power thing.

>>51692751
is a good example of what I'm going for.
>>
>>51693267
I guess I'll be more clear, but this keyword is going to be an awful strain from a design stand point.
You'll need to have the set be saturated with multicolor spells, or everything is going to be at best a "cast it twice" keyword. If you try to make enough multicolor support for the keyword to shine it'll strain creativity and most likely result in some color pie bleeding. Wizards struggled to do the later halves of Khan's block because of how much multi color they needed to ship out, and resulted in what many considered a terrible draft and standard environment.

My point is, the keyword isn't going to just strain the ability to balance for the cards with it only, but the whole set shared with the cards. Too many 3+ colored cards in the set? They keyword is bonkers value. Too little? Practically useless outside of the niche broken few.

>>51693371
Assuming that multi color won't be super saturated in the set, all of these are fine. An over costed divination that is sometimes a draw 3 isn't going to be insane. Forgery feels a little under costed for what is usally 2 clones for 6, but clones are getting stronger with time so It's fine. It only gets above standard when you get 3+.

In the world of, the average hit is 3+, the draw and clone get a little unfair. Creative can be a blow out sometimes during combat, but that's what you expect out of decent battle tricks.
>>
>>51692202
No, it's one card. Just trigger it in their draw step and put all their lands/usuable nonlands/not shit stuff on the library. Doesn't last forever, but can easily land screw somebody for a good two or three turns on its own.
>>
>>51693371
>>51693518
Hmm. I think multicolor love is just as hard to make as monocolor love. Each already has intrinsic advantages and disadvantages, it's hard to make something else that isn't just tacked on. I think Devotion was pretty cool though, for monocolor. I don't know about Sunburst, but Converge didn't go very well, though that might just be because of the cards were bad, not the mechanic.
>>
File: Sulgeod Haze.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sulgeod Haze.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>51695485
Multicolor love doesn't work well for the reasons I listed before. Things like COnverge and Sunburst aren't so bad, sense you can just cheese it by running a few basics in the other colors and usually be fine. But ye, a lot of the cards were just under powered.
Devotion is a great color based mechanic, though it is just a more specific version of Chroma from Eveningtide.
Devotion can work as a multicolor mechanic as well as mono, as the god's well showed.
>>
>>51696207
I think you should roll the first strike into the first ability. You can already get global haste for 3 mana, so there should be something extra for your additional mana expenditure.
>>
>>51695485
You can also play with the graveyard resources angle.

Elan Harvest 3GG
Sorcery
Insight
Return target card from your graveyard to your hand. Exile ~.

Gallery of Horrors 4BB
Sorcery
Insight
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If it's multicolored, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

>>51697238
Drivemaster 2RR
Creature- Ogre Warrior
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, ~ deals 1 damage to it and it gains haste until end of turn.
3/3

>>51692432
I like these, and love that last one. I had one from a while back...

Limnwood Scrollcase 2
Artifact
T: Exile the top card of your library facedown.
3: Choose a card exiled with ~. You may play that card until end of turn.
RR, Sacrifice ~: You may play cards exiled with ~ until end of turn.
>>
>>51697470
>3: Choose a card exiled with ~. You may play that card until end of turn.
>RR, Sacrifice ~: You may play cards exiled with ~ until end of turn.
You don't know if you can actually play that card if its facedown. Either you need to be able to look at it (face down exiles are not necessarily revealed to the player that owns them), or these effects need to turn that card face up.
>>
>>51686789
>If a creature with a counter on it would die, exile it instead.
>>
File: Rupture Mage.png (275KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rupture Mage.png
275KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Timeweaver Mage.jpg (32KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Timeweaver Mage.jpg
32KB, 375x523px
>>51697867
A riff on this, although yours is more clever.
>>
>>51692202
>you're a casual, aren't you?
>he thinks lantern control would play a fucking 3 mana 2/2
>he thinks unblockable significantly changes the card evaluation if it would be played in a lock deck.
wew lad.
>>51694192
Land screwing an opponent really isn't that big of a deal on turn 4
>>
>>51697867
>>51699151
What's the most elegant way to word "Your second main phase is now a combat phase"?
Thinking a big smashy red legend.
>>
>>51699305
>wew lad.
Every deck in U/B would play it. Every single one.
>>
>>51699305
>significantly
>also
>as in: afterthought
also learn to read :^)
>>
>>51699333
Probably something like
>Each player skips each postcombat main phase each turn.
>After the first combat phase each turn, there's an additional combat phase. At the beginning of that combat, untap all creatures that attacked this turn.
To borrow generously from World at War.
>>
>>51699333
I think I'd make it something like
>At the beginning of combat on you turn, if it's the first combat phase of the turn, skip your next main phase. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
>>
File: Peter Parker Spider-Man3.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Peter Parker Spider-Man3.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
New Spidey since the last time I posted it, someone said it was too weak compared to Otto. Changed so you get to Arrest a creature whenever Spidey hits that creature's controller, and the effect no longer ends when Spidey leaves the battlefield, or you lose control of it. Honestly, I kinda wish I could still make that restriction work since it makes him a good foil to Spock, but oh well.

>>51693216
>>51693267
>>51693371
>>51693518
Thank you both for calming down and actually having a productive conversation instead of just going at each others' throats. I realize this is a bit odd for me to say since Insight anon and I have gone at each others' throats before, but I'm trying to better.
>>
>>51701120
>>51699706
Might as well make it as weird as possible.

Asura of Bloody Rivers 4RR
Legendary Creature- Demon God
Double Strike
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may play a creature card from your hand tapped and attacking.
Skip your main phases.
After the first combat phase on your turn, there's an additional combat phase. At the beginning of that combat, untap all creatures that attacked this turn.
4/5

I mean, you weren't packing sorceries anyway, right?
>>
>>51701571
>you may play a creature card from your hand tapped and attacking.
Do you want the player to get the creature for free, or do that still have to pay for it?
>>
>>51701571
This is incredibly silly but I like it.
>>
>>51701632
It doesn't have "Without paying its mana cost", so no, they'd still have to pay for it. It also allows you to cast creatures at all, which is the point.
>>
>>51701656
In that case, I think I'd make it something like
>you may cast a creature card from your hand. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped and attacking.
or
>you may reveal a creature card in your hand and pay its mana cost. If you do, put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
>>
>>51701645
I've always liked "This fucks up the normal function of the game, but gets you other bonuses".
Only secondary to "This fucks up everyone, but you've got stuff built around it", like Uba Mask and Citadel of Pain and the like.
>>
>>51689493
>High toughness is also a LOT less meaningful than high power.
Oh of course; that's why we're seeing CMC1 1/2s more frequently. And that strange trend of 2/3s.

I'll put it back to 3W and post it again some other time. Thanks for all the feedback.

>>51690299
I was trying to convey a flavor revolving around "personal growth by exposure" sort of deal. Meeting a lot of different people and seeing a lot of different places. That sort of thing.

>>51690439
The -2 here has two keywords at odds with each other; trample wants minimal blockers, menace requires two or more, running a higher chance of negating the creature's damage, or it not needing trample at all because it didn't get blocked due to menace.

>>51692546
Hm. Still not 100% with the "time" theme on this dude, but his abilities are a bit more interesting to me now. I suppose that's what happens as concepts evolve.

>>51696207
Agree with that other anon on this card.
>>
>>51701837
>Korro
Well, that explains why those two keywords aren't really seen together. Thanks. OK, instead of Menace, maybe Indie?

>Future Guy
Can you specify what you mean? What would you change about it?
>>
>>51701901
>Korro
I'd do "trample and can't be blocked by more than one creature" myself.

>Future Guy
I still don't care for the + ability but it's not my card. I'm just hung up on the theme you told me it had from before.
>>
File: Harley Quinn2.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Harley Quinn2.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
Unfortunately, I don't believe I've gotten feedback for this yet. If people are avoiding it for some obvious error, please let me know what it is. Anyway, idea is to try and incorporate some of Harley's past as a psychiatrist, so she messes with people's heads.

>>51702143
>Korro
Good idea, thanks. As bad as I am at planeswalkers, I seem to be making quite a few of them.

>Future Guy (I will make a real name for this guy later)
What's wrong with the +? For that, the flavor is a bit like foresight, seeing two futures and choosing one. If you're talking about Scry, Investigator Jace kinda has that covered, and I always feel kinda awkward for just reusing abilities from other walkers. Small changes, fine, but just taking an entire ability wholesale is something that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm just too hung up on not repeating WotC's mistake with Swamp Lili, basically having a character step on the toes of another (which they later did with Koth and Nissa anyway...)
>>
>>51702263
I like the effect here but it doesn't feel like Harley to me. Course I only know her from BtAS so I'm no real judge of it compared to her total character.

>Future Guy
You're too hung up on me not caring for one ability on the card. As far as I can tell it's properly costed and everything, so it should be reasonably balanced.
>>
File: The Joker4.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Joker4.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>51702389
Ugh, I guess I don't know how to properly capture "crazy" on a card.

>Future Guy
Probably true. I'll sleep on it.
>>
File: Witchblade Knight.png (278KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Witchblade Knight.png
278KB, 375x523px
>>51702496
Not sure that'll be an easy task. Capturing crazy I mean.

Survival bump with an overbuilt card.
>>
File: Flame Shield.png (284KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flame Shield.png
284KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51699369
>Every deck in U/B would play it. Every single one.
You have never played any format but standard/EDH and even then it wouldn't see play in every blue/black deck.
>>
>>51704455
Yeah, not sure about this. Though from my short experience with an Aura deck, it's pretty much expected that you're going to do loads of math.
>>
File: custom card challenge.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
custom card challenge.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
Rolled 8, 2, 5, 9, 7 = 31 (5d10)

Survival bump. And I'm going to do a few of these.
>>
Rolled 10, 8, 1, 4 = 23 (4d10)

>>51710618
Color, type, mechanic, CMC
>>
File: 8 2 5 9 7 Boros Beatdown.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
8 2 5 9 7 Boros Beatdown.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Rolled 3, 4, 3, 1, 2 = 13 (5d10)

>>51710618
>Multicolor (WR), instant, voltron/buff, CMC 6+, uncommon
Hope this is OK. I realized I could just use whatever name I could want for these, so they may get a bit silly.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 2, 4 = 13 (4d10)

>>51710732
UW, artifact, card advantage, CMC 3.

Something Something Balls Joke
Artifact
If you would draw a card, you may instead pay UW. If you do, scry 2 then draw a card.

Color, type, mechanic, CMC
>>
File: 3 4 3 1 2.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
3 4 3 1 2.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Rolled 1, 5, 8, 1, 8 = 23 (5d10)

>>51710792
>Black, sorcery, removal/burn, CMC 1, common
Hmm, how about this? Does this count as Black due to the counters, or should it have you gain life or something?
>>
>>51710838
White, creature, card advantage, CMC 3

Blessed Swanherd
2W
Creature - Human Cleric
When ~ dies, create X 0/1 white bird creature tokens with flying, where X is ~'s toughness.
1/3

>>51710883
It's basically a modal spell with "Put two -1/-1 counters on target creature" and "Put two poison counters on target player" as options. That's black, yeah. That's also likely a bit above CMC 1.
>>
File: 1 5 8 1 8.jpg (27KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1 5 8 1 8.jpg
27KB, 375x523px
>>51710883
>White, creature, tax/control, CMC 1, rare
Oh fuck, I have to make something that's actually good and efficient. If this isn't good, I'm not even going to bother trying again.

>>51710989
1 damage? I feel like that's kinda weak.
>>
>>51711156
Damnit, forgot I was supposed to be making something for tax/control. I'm just going to delete it.
>>
>>51697238
So it gives first strike to a creature when it enters, and sac to give it haste? So it's an extremely garbage battle trick?
I feel like, if a 1/3 for 3 can give all your artifacts haste _AND_ make a 1/1 thopter with flying, this effect that offers you 0 board tempo, and requires you to put in more mana to get the haste isn't going to be insane.
>>
>>51713054
I think the intent was
>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay R. If you do, it gains haste and first strike until end of turn.
And rework the sac effect entirely.
>>
>>51713107
Oh, mb. I guess that would be fine, I just thought that might be too much power.
>>
So, I finished my set, and now I'm converting it into a custom set for cockatrice...

Holy fuck, it's long
>>
>>51714213
Yeah, it's a total pain. So, who are you and what set were you working on?
>>
>>51714382
I was working on an allied-color tribal set for a couple of years, between job, school, girlfriend and lack of inspiration, it took me a while, but I got there, 260 card large set, and will start getting on the final stretch of the enemy-colored small set.
>>
>>51714424
Could you post some cards? How were you making this set anyway? Like, how did you get feedback? Or did you post here and I don't recall any of this?
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1875x1046px
>>51714442
I've been posting here quite often, but I slowed down a bunch in recent months. and when I say I'm done, I probably still have a bunch of work for developments.

But sure, here are a few cards.
>>
These are all unfinished and still in the idea phase but I thought I'd get some feedback here. I think everything is correctly worded but if they aren't let me know. Also I don't think this breaks any rules here but if it does I'll do up real cards for them first
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2PmYoFA2DW3zUdMvaiWtlbUc4_Oh3_P7bArcx0oYDo/edit
>>
>>51714915
Fuck me, Quell agitation reminder text wasn't fixed.
>>
>>51714943
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K2PmYoFA2DW3zUdMvaiWtlbUc4_Oh3_P7bArcx0oYDo/edit?usp=sharing fuck me here's the share link
>>
Need advice on cost.

Summary Verdict
2WWUU or something fuck I dunno
Instant
Counter target spell, activated ability, or triggered ability. Exile that spell or that ability's source.
>>
>>51715109
That's pretty fucking expensive.

It's hard to cost since it can act as conditional removal, but I would suggest WWUU or 1WWUU
>>
>>51715109
>Counter target spell, activated ability, or triggered ability. If a spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard. If a permanent's ability is countered this way, exile its that permanent.

From Dissipate and Teferi's Response.
>>
How do I get the new symbols, like {C}, to work in MSE? I've got the most recent version.
>>
>>51717648
You probably need an add-on. Should be available through the link the OP has for MSE, just go to the additional downloads button on the left.
>>
>>51717738
All I see there are fonts and card templates, nothing about mana symbols.
>>
>>51717796
Just try installing the most recent templates package and then try using C again.
>>
>>51718022
Nope. The most recent one is september 2015, anyways.

Fukkit, I'll just use {S}.
>>
I'm having very minor trouble with watermarks. See, I added in a set of them for something and when I click on them, they show up just fine. But the first one while on the drop-down menus is just a square and not the correct watermark. How do I fix that?
>>
Quick bump. Eye of Ilval anon here. Got some exciting news from initial round of playtesting, will update either tonight or tomorrow morning! Keep on shining on until then, you crazy diamonds!
>>
>>51718258
It's [C], not {C}
>>
>>51719316
That gets me jackshit if I try to put it in a mana cost, and if I put it in main body I get the Chaos symbol.
>>
File: Natures Flame.png (291KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Natures Flame.png
291KB, 375x523px
Multicolor themes of set considered, what do you think of a cycle of these?

Or, a cycle of in-color auras with an off-color based on the color of the creature it enchants. You wouldn't normally get the effect in said off color, but because the creature it enchants fills that color requirement I feel it doesn't at all break the color pie. Sort of like an ally color booster kinda thing.

Pic is example. Suggestions for potential other color effects would be cool.
>>
File: Whispers From Aleph.png (237KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Whispers From Aleph.png
237KB, 375x523px
>>51719586
Another example/idea for it.
>>
File: Whispers From Aleph.png (237KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Whispers From Aleph.png
237KB, 375x523px
>>51719625
probably better/more interesting version

Thoughts?
>>
>>51719586
I don't like how it looks specifically at the color of the creature, feels too narrow to me. I'd say make it something like this cycle. Also a bit curious as to why you didn't have it care about two colors since your set is about wedges, IIRC, but that's a minor thing. And, to be fair, it would be more difficult to make something that worked in two different colors.
>>
>>51719586
>>51719625
>>51719659
You can use contractions here. "If it's ___..."

Very much a callback to the Demigods' armaments from Llorwyn. Those were fun cards, so I expect you can do a lot of fun things with these too. Most of those were static abilities, so I think there's a lot of room for triggered abilities.
>>
>>51719715
>Also a bit curious as to why you didn't have it care about two colors since your set is about wedges,
Considered it. Design space too restrictive/too wordy.
>>
Working on a pair of cycles of lands across a block.
First set cycle is
Land
1, T: Add WW to your mana pool.

I'm debating what to make the second set cycle. The block "story" is that somebody fucked up, punched a hole in the plane, and now all the colored mana is leaking out.
Current design is
Land
T: Add C to your mana pool.
1, T: Add CW to your mana pool. Put a depletion counter on ~. ~ loses this ability.

Anybody have any other ideas?
>>
>>51719747
You don't need an ability for each color, as I said, you could just make one ability for two colors. Like

>2B
>Enchant creature
>Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has menace
>Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, if you control a green or blue permanent, draw a card,
>>
>>51719787
Aye, but the design space is still too restrictive. I don't like feeling as though cards designed themselves out of how purely narrow the space is.

I did consider this, though.
>>
>>51719758
>Current design is
>Land
>T: Add C to your mana pool.
>1, T: Add CW to your mana pool. Put a depletion counter on ~. ~ loses this ability.
These seem incredibly bad. They don't really fix, and I feel like I'd rather run a basic than worry about depletion counters or something.
>>
>>51719883
It's going to be a "C in costs" set, for what it's worth. Generating C is, while not good per se, not quite as bad as normal.
>>
>>51719804
I still think it's really weird to look at the color of the creature exclusively. Maybe an off-color cost for an ability?
>>
File: Highland Challenger.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Highland Challenger.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>51714915
Can't say I recognize the set symbol, but good on your for sticking with your set. It's not an easy chore.

Some thoughts:

>C10
I've done something almost exactly like Ward a long time ago; I forget what I called it. The way you have yours though can get a bit confusing since it just says "Cast a copy of encoded spell" which can't work because exiled cards aren't spells, and it references any encoded card by being so non-specific, which could be a problem.

>C11
So the basic idea behind Bribe is that it's a thematic Kicker variant that will be on cards worded in such a way as to synergize with discard outlets like Madness and the like? I'd have to see more of it to decide how I feel about it.

>M3
This feels like it wants to be BR.

>C7
I've also done something like Hardened before as well, except it wasn't a keyword and worked a bit differently. I dunno about the name here; Hardened implies the creature is already a combat veteran, so the mechanic doesn't gel with the name. Maybe something like Eager or somesuch?

>U6
Unity seems streamlined enough. Creature might need to be rare though.

>R5
Odd flavor. I dunno about vial counters and +1/+1 counters in the same set; things could get confusing. You could probably rework this to run off of +1/+1 counters if you wanted to streamline things a bit.

>U9
Name doesn't really gel with the mechanics I think. I'd change the name to... hm actually I like that name too much; I think I'll make a card with it. But anyway, this is probably okay since 2U gets you a 2/2 that gets card draw on combat damage to a player at common. This will always draw you at least one card and trade for a creature though, so keep an eye on it in playtesting.

>U8
I think there might be too much utility here, but I could be wrong.

>R4
Again, utility for cost is a concern. Check Gatherer for similar effects.

>M1
At CMC6 this might be okay but you might want to make the last part "nontoken creatures" to be safe.
>>
File: Keepsake Killer.png (254KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Keepsake Killer.png
254KB, 375x523px
>>51721471
Said card that U9 inspired me to make.
>>
File: 1469685718429.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1469685718429.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>51721471
Seems odd for Red to get the Vamp ability, but both Green and Red have gotten it before, so I guess it's OK. Not sure on the untap bit though.

>>51721651
Seems cool. Combining the Vamp ability with draw is fun, wish Wizards would use it more. Far as I know, it's only on one card, Rot Wolf.
>>
File: RR Svot Goblin Genius.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RR Svot Goblin Genius.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>51721651

Right into the Greatest Hits of CCG folder it goes!

Alright, so I got some very valuable playtesting done on the Eye of Ilval set and I have more planned for the near future. First and foremost that I noticed was that Eureka as a mechanic was way too good because it would proc off of literally everything. I've started making adjustments by restricting what spells it will trigger off of and by asking for a payment to do something. Another that I've noticed is that unveil feels good to play with and it actually can turn a game around with a well-timed activation, but like with Eureka, there were instances of it being way too good like on Quicksting Anemone.

Some basic design problems I came across during playtesting were that there weren't enough 1 and 2 drops to make aggro a viable option in a limited environment. I've since tried to remedy this by lowering the cost on some creatures, while also creating three red one drop creatures whereas there were none before. The other issue was the problem with fliers. There weren't particularly many of them, but green only had a very few scant ways to deal with them. I've added reach in four or five places to hopefully make up for this.

I hope this information helps other budding set designers! To keep it on topic, I'll post a few cards I've designed out for the second set of the Ilval block.
>>
File: RB01 Strip Hope.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RB01 Strip Hope.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>51724576

Oh yeah, I also fixed the issue about adding art to the first set, so both Return of Isdial development and adding art to the first set are going swimmingly!
>>
>>51724576
I think this is all way too much for a single R. Might have to go up to CMC 3.

(This effect does reduce the colored mana costs in activated abilities)
How?

>Eye of Ilval
What set is this again?
>>
File: UW01 Ascend to Heaven.jpg (30KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UW01 Ascend to Heaven.jpg
30KB, 375x523px
>>51724899
>(This effect does reduce the colored mana costs in activated abilities)
>How?
I read the comprehensive rules wrong. Will change to R.

I also don't think it's too good at all. Being able to turn clues into a ping and a draw for one is awesome, but that's about literally the most degenerate it gets in a limited format. I'm going to leave him as is until an extremely good argument is presented or he proves to be a problem in playtesting.

>>Eye of Ilval
>What set is this again?
The set with the Eye looking symbol. I haven't posted in like two weeks though.
>>
>>51725114
>Better Path to Exile
>Better Swords to Plowshares
Huh.
>>
File: Creeping Fog.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Creeping Fog.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>51725114
I'm in agreement with >>51725250 I've never really found that first ability to be enough of a drawback. And with the exile bit too, it'll be really weird in cases where another player happens to exile his copy, making it harder for you to cast yours.
>>
>>51725250
>>Better Path to Exile
>>Better Swords to Plowshares

>Better
>Sorcery speed

Pick one bro. It's real good, but it's only Path/Swords 4-6. If you run into any more than 2 in a game, you're in trouble.
>>
>>51725306
>Pick one bro.

Okay.

I pick.
>Better
>>
>>51725306
>If you run into any more than 2 in a game, you're in trouble.
>If
Singleton and draft say hello.
>>
>>51725306
In other news, it would actually change deckbuilding so Path/Swords would become "Ascend to Heaven 2-5"
>>
>>51725114
Fun question for rulesfriends;

How does this interact with Snapcaster Mage?
>>
>>51725366
Pretty sure the Flashback cost would just look at the printed mana cost and ignore the first ability.
>>
How about an art challenge?
>>
>>51725429
Incorrect.
>>
>>51725470
Oh right, because it's still cast. I always get that mixed up.
>>
>>51725463

At least give people the artist credit to use.

時浦浜
>>
How'd I do on rules text?

How'd I do on costing?

Is this too strong for standard? Not necessarily current standard but in general.

Does Stardust need to be 3UW? It very specifically counters stuff that would destroy. W can destroy creatures that are threats. Is it a bend?
>>
File: Skeletal Drake.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Skeletal Drake.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>51725546
Why? I'm not on r/custommagic. Besides, most of my images I get from 4chan, so I usually don't know who made them anyway.
>>
>>51725621

I didn't say you had to give artist credit, but providing it for people who might want to use the art is thoughtful at least.
>>
>>51725665
OK, fine, I'll try to remember it for next time.

Anyway, how soon do you guys think it'll be until we see a Skeleton with Indie?
>>
>>51725705

Not soon enough. I imagine it will be a colorshifted darksteel myr though.
>>
File: BU1.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
BU1.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>51725760
Well, I would hope it would be an activated ability, to reflect how they used to have Regen. I still think it's kinda funny how I had the idea a while ago that Indie in Black could just be flavored as a stronger, more persistent type of Regen. Especially since I had the idea when designing a Mummy for an Egypt set (I didn't get very far), and now the next Magic set is an Egypt set.
>>
>>51725937

I am almost 100% convinced that someone on the actual WOTC design team for magic browses here and freely adapts ideas for the game.
>>
>>51725619
10/10
7/10
Yes.
No.
Yes.
>>
File: Stardust Dragon.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stardust Dragon.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
>>51725619
Not sure how I forgot pic, then I had to go do stuff. Oops.
>>
>>51726403
>Sacrifice Stardust Dragon: Counter target spell or ability that would destroy a permanent. If a permanent's ability is countered this way, destroy that permanent.
From Teferi's Response

>At the beginning of the next end step, if a spell or ability was countered this way and Stardust Dragon is in your graveyard, return it to the battlefield.
I think it would be like that. Also he should probably be legendary? And no he's fine on monoW with those abilities. Also he should be 4/4 or 3/4, he's not the greatest in combat in YGO, that could reflect it.
>>
>>51726101
I'd rather just chalk it up to convergent design, really. Though I think Maro, or someone else at Wizards, went on record and said they don't look at fan designs.

>>51726403
Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone. For wording, pretty much what >>51726634 said. Though I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the last ability.
>>
>>51725937
>>51726101
I can't wait for amonkhet to drop to see how close time anon was with his take on a not!egypt plane.
>>
File: Blade of the Pharoh.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blade of the Pharoh.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
One of the few Egypt cards I made before realizing that making sets just isn't in me.

>>51727479
Me too. I keep checking for spoilers, but all I keep getting is the FNM cards. Which look pretty cool, except for Fortune's Favor. Does anyone ever use that thing?
>>
>>51726634
Maybe just a 4/4. 2500/2000 doesn't mean a 5/4 and 4 attacks to be lethal doesn't mean 4 in mtg too. Evasion doesn't exist in ygo and you have to kill their monsters first.

I made the last ability something that triggers at end step so you can stifle that trigger and I think I worded it so that if you don't counter something, you don't get to return it. I meant to at least.

I don't think it should be legendary. Stormbreath Dragon isn't a legend and this stardust feels about a similar power level. You can still block, target, tap, reduce toughness, etc. Grasp of Darkness, Languish and burn spells still kill it and it has no prevent damage effects. I know Languish rotated

>>51727137
The last ability is because it's a YGO card that does pretty much the same thing, sans flying. Like I said above, you can burn it, block it and grasp it with darkness.
>>
File: Archfiend Soldier.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Archfiend Soldier.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>51729482
>YGO card
How'd I do?
>>
>>51727518
Considering Phage is still one of the most powerful creatures in MTG, that card probably can't exist.
>>
>>51729792
I don't even know any decks offhand that run Phage.
>>
>>51729821
that's because she's balanced. People only run broken/mistake of design cards in constructed.
>>
>>51656753
OP A QUESTION IF THERE IS A WAY TO PLAY MAGIC WITH THE LETTER BUT LIKE A MAGIC LIBRARY AND FOLLOW Dungeons & Dragons STANDARD BUT TO THE WORLD OF MAGIC
>>
>>51729929
Are you looking for something like this?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27
>>
>>51729482
I suggested legendary because of the status of Stardust in the lore (signer dragon, pretty unique yadda yadda)
>>
File: Artificial Tempest.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artificial Tempest.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51732582
So a better Dynavolt Tower?
>>
Here, have an Un-Card!

(I can't be assed to think of a name and mana cost for it)
Target player draws -3 cards. (To draw a negative amount of cards, exile the positive number of cards from the bottom of your library facedown. If you would draw a card while you have cards exiled in this way, return one card from those cards to the bottom of your library.
>>
>>51732622
Here's another one with negative numbers:

Enchantment

Spells you cast cost negative amounts of mana. (To pay a negative mana cost, untap lands equal to its positive mana cost counterpart.)
>>
>>51732655
Wait no, that's broken.
Replace "spells" with "instant and sorcery spells"
>>
File: Sneak Retraction.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sneak Retraction.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
OP?
>>
>>51732782
>from the stack
As opposed to all those other places a spell can be.
>>
File: Stratowurm.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stratowurm.png
259KB, 375x523px
>>51725463
It just felt right.

>>51725621
Not bad. I can see this being an actual card.

>>51726101
I wonder about this sometimes too. They work so far ahead of actual set releases that they have all kinds of plausible deniability.

>>51727518
I love cards like this. I made one once that was the same thing but only worked if the opponent had 10 or less life, if I recall correctly. It was much cheaper though; might have been CMC1.

>>51732782
Would probably at least cost U. Would be a three-of in a lot of sideboards depending on metas most likely.
>>
>>51735028
Seems cool, nothing fancy. Drake Wurm is an odd combination, makes sense to tie it to the Simic.
>>
File: Copperhead5.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Copperhead5.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>51735028
>I love cards like this. I made one once that was the same thing but only worked if the opponent had 10 or less life, if I recall correctly. It was much cheaper though; might have been CMC1.
Your card idea sounds cool. Not sure about the cost though. Can you post it? And speaking of, I'm reminded of this card that I've been trying to balance for a while now. I'm actually thinking of just ditching the poison counters for something like a Quietus Spike style effect.
>>
>>51738140

The problem with this card is that it doesn't have evasion and it doesn't really do anything UNTIL you hit. But boy, oh boy, when you do hit, it's retarded.
>>
File: Tom Tresser Nemesis8.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Tresser Nemesis8.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>51739066
Well, should I give it something like Menace? I do just want to say that I'm perfectly fine with removing parts of the card too, like the discard bit. In fact, I am kinda worried I went too far with having the card reflect the flavor of the character. And speaking of cards that don't do anything until they hit, this.
>>
File: Marius King of Tides2.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Marius King of Tides2.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Because it's not like I already have a few planeswalkers that I still need to finish or anything, why not add another?
>>
File: abilitywalkers.jpg (401KB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
abilitywalkers.jpg
401KB, 1125x1046px
Testing a bad idea. Unexplored design space is sometimes left unexplored for good reason, and I'm wondering if "PWs with non-loyalty abilities" is one of those areas.

Balancing is probably really rough since it's not my strong suit nor do I know a lot about planeswalkers (outside of wishing Ugin was never printed). Hopefully these aren't -too- broken, though given that I tried to:

1. Make a cycle
2. Make a decent 2-mana walker
3. Do something with little prior precedent
4. Throw in an artifact last-minute so the image was even,

there's probably some very bad shit in here. Regardless, if anyone gets anything out of them- ideas, inspiration, whatever; it'll be well worth it.
>>
>>51740405
For my own post-post roundup:
>Venea
Probably would be fine with a normal token, but it's not like not doing it saves space. Her emblem might be a little busted since she defends herself, though- could maybe be -6 or -7.

>Alma
Her -2 could probably be a -1 or 0, actually. I kinda fucked up and combined "Meant for play later on where she can be paired with a cheap sorc or two" with "shouldn't be a dead draw early on" in the worst way- an ability that shouldn't kill her, but does. Then again, maybe it's balanced?

>Ruhk
Vraska meets Ophiomancer meets Night Soil, kind of. Debated a -3 Doom Blade, decided to make it a "survive unscathed for a turn, get Murder instead".

>Helinae
I went back and looked. There are fucking spaces in this card, but the auto-formatting fucked it sideways. If anyone even remotely cares for the "fixed" version (got it to unfuck itself by adding and removing spaces), I'll post it. She's supposed to be combat-oriented, and be boring enough to fit into most Boros EDH decks. Her +2 probably should just give the token haste, but I wanted to use preexisting tokens.

>Ceilun
Manifest not-mander. Might actually be a bit expensive, but then, cards that auto-manifest seemed to share that trend too. Might be a little too build-around to be that good, but sounds fun.

>Planar Hydromonica
Probably fuck-busted, and disgusting the more I look at it. I should have spent more than a minute making a filler card.
>>
>>51740405
Venea is absurd value. CMC4 is already around the pricepoint for a 2/2 indestructible creature with a minor ability, but you've got a planeswalker stapled to it.

Alma is useless as a two-drop. A CMC2 walker should be usable as a two-drop.

Rhuk is really questionable. The PW abilities are hot garbage. The static ability is really damn good though. Would overall be better as just an enchantment, since playing a PW for a static effect feels wrong.

Helinae is a fucking saber clone 0/10 apply your artistic direction. Art does make the textbox hard to read. Abilities should be fine, but see above for comment regarding static-ability PWs.

Ceilun is strange. The +2 is card DISadvantage, which seems like a negative trait. The ult is not particularly ulty. But again, the ability is bonkers.

Hydromonica is in that awful zone of "will be either fucking useless or fucking busted", as well as that awful zone of "useless in draft".

Overall I like the idea of non-loyalty abilities on PWs but not the focus on said abilities you included. Alma is the only one where I feel the !loyalty ability has the right level of focus instead of dwarfing the loyalty abilities.
>>
File: Korro Tribal Hunter4.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Korro Tribal Hunter4.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>51740405
>Venea
This is what I was talking about a few threads ago in regards to ETB walkers. Seems cool, though since it makes an Indie token, I also thinking maybe her starting loyalty should go down to 2. As for the other abilities, I'd probably remove DTouch from the +1 and add a pump, but I would definitely say how long the effect lasts. Ult is... eh, not really liking it. Maybe just drain the defending player. Oh, and I personally would've used the 4-ability template so it could function like a typical planeswalker after the ETB effect, and I'd do that for all of these.

>Ruhk,Helinae, Ceilun
And this is not what I was talking about. Their abilities here might as well just be 0 or +1 abilities. Seriously, think of Vraska, then just imagine if her pseudo-DTouch ability were just a triggered ability.
>>
>>51741320
>A CMC2 walker should be usable as a two-drop.
Which is why Wizards has given up on the concept.
>>
>>51741320
>>51741330

>Venea
Undergoing reworks- namely, her Ult is going up to at least -6 to -7, her +1 is going to be reduced in value, and the token may lose indestructibility in favor of something her +1 previously granted.

>Alma's -2 is now a -1. Because of her very low cost and unique, often repeatable way to gain loyalty counters, her abilities are underwhelming if a pace of "one instant/sorc per turn/round", to make up for the fact that all instants and sorcs you cast add a counter. Her usefulness at 2 in formats like Modern are minimal, but are fine in EDH and she now doesn't suicide if you try to use her as a 2-drop.

>Ceilun
A lot of his design is based around what a UG deck is likely to run. For instance:
>Doubling Season, Deepglow Skate:
Ult is narrow and build-around, making him a less appealing target for loyalty abuse outside of decks that don't want to run a ton of morph effects
>Card draw, topdeck manipulation
His abilities focus more on setting up Manifest with cards you want to flip later than they do improving what can already be very efficiently done.

Ruhk and Helinae aren't currently "under the knife" for revision, at least until I make a decision on the static abilities globally. If alterations are made to make them less "focused", many changes will be made to everyone.
>>
>>51741330
Vaguely surprised this doesn't use Fight or the one-way Fight. Feels like a draft/standard card imo. Very punchy.
>>
>>51741662
>Vaguely surprised this doesn't use Fight or the one-way Fight.
Tried, too close to Domri.

>Feels like a draft/standard card imo. Very punchy.
Is that good or...?
>>
>>51741709
In the good way. It's something you'd want to pull in a Draft, and it's not so limited that EDH wouldn't run it.
>>
>>51741759
Ah, OK, cool. Oh, and thanks for the feedback, forgot to say that in my first response.
>>
>>51738140
She could just be mono black if you wanted, I think. I guess she needs blue for the tokens to be illusions but I don't think anyone would complain; illusions aren't a keystone tribal in blue.

>can you post it?
I deleted it along with all my other old cards so I suppose it was kind of silly to mention it.
>>
>>51742162
I think I'll just cut the illusions entirely. Now I'm just wondering if the discard should scale with the poison counters. Thanks for the feedback.

>I suppose it was kind of silly to mention it.
I don't think so, I'll probably make a card out of it. Now I just need to find some art that could pass for a Zen Vamp.
>>
File: rekindling_mite.png (355KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
rekindling_mite.png
355KB, 375x523px
Good? Bad? Boring?

>Yeah yeah I know mtgcardsmith is poop but I ain't installing 40megs of pussy and ass for a single card
>>
>>51743883
I like it.
>>
>>51743883
Seems fine to me. Wizards has done this effect before, and on creatures too. I'd bump it to uncommon though.
>>
File: Bloodfire Monk.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodfire Monk.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Page 10 bump. This card was inspired by a card an anon posted.
>>
>>51748520
Feels sorta bad. At 3RR you get Wrecking Ogre, which has an additional toughness and unconditional double strike, plus a relevant ability from the hand.
>>
File: Ruthless Assassin.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ruthless Assassin.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Another one inspired by an anon. Having big power I think makes sense to combine with the ability.

>>51748567
Well, adding Prowess is the obvious option, so how about doing that?
>>
File: Hopecrusher Demon.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hopecrusher Demon.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>51748895
Then you're competing with Dragon-Style Twins.

Maybe shrink the body and give it Prowess? Dunno.

>card
Yours gave me an idea for this. Is caring about opponents being healthy out of character for black?
>>
File: Bloodrush Shaman.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodrush Shaman.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>51748980
Eh, maybe that anon's idea wasn't that great after all then.

>Hopecrusher Demon
Eh, I dunno. I feel like it's something that would pop up only very rarely. Anyway, I think I'd change this to have a greater effect, but it only works if an opponent's life total is greater than his starting life total. As-is, it seems too easy to trigger.
>>
>>51749152
>but it only works if an opponent's life total is greater than his starting life total
I feel like that'll never trigger at all, given how terribad lifegain strategies tend to be. How about
>Whenever ~ attacks, if defending player has greater than 10 life, ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Then its quite not so beast on the defensive, and tapers off as the hope is indeed crushed.
>>
>>51688228
this looks like it belongs in a Doran deck if it keeps the 235 toughness with changelings
>>
>>51749865
Had no idea people would find her so charming.
>>
File: 124353.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
124353.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
bamp
>>
File: Favor Broker.png (249KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Favor Broker.png
249KB, 375x523px
>>51751837
I was about to bump the thread myself.

Card seems fine to me. I'll admit I actually had to look up the 'commander creature' thing since I don't play much EDH these days.
>>
>>51751850

Why a blue mana?
>>
>>51751850
This could be mono-Black.
>>
>Pyrefiend 3RB

>Creature - Demon

>When Pyrefiend enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your graveyard and target opponent graveyard. Pyrefiend deals damage equal to the number of cards exiled from one graveyard to target player and deals damage equal to the number of cards exiled from the other to you.

>4/4

How do I word this card correctly? Also, as it is, is it too strong? Should I bother attaching it to a creature?
>>
File: Copperhead6.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Copperhead6.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
New version. Decided to keep the tokens for now. Please let me know which elements I should drop.

>>51754935
I want to give you better wording, but who gets hit with which graveyard? Like, does the opponent get hit equal to the number of cards exiled from your graveyard or from that opponent's graveyard?

As for the ability, I think it's mostly fine, it's basically just a boosted Harvest Pyre that hits players. Could be wrong though. But I have to admit, I don't like how it hits you in the face too.
>>
>>51755217
You pick who gets hit with which graveyard. So generally you'd pick to hit yourself with whatever graveyard is smaller, but you'll still have to take some damage. You take some damage to balance out the fact that it's gonna be a pretty fat burn spell. I also just like black/red's suicide style play.
>>
File: Colin Wilkes7.jpg (97KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Colin Wilkes7.jpg
97KB, 752x523px
New version of Colin/Abuse. Trying to simplify the concept, though I find it hard to balance properly. I think the speed bumps for the various triggers help though. Not sure if I should keep Indie on Colin, I guess I'm paranoid about people not bothering to sink mana into him if he can be easily removed.

>>51755364
Oh fuck, you want it to be a choice? Uh... let's try...
>When ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. Exile all cards from your graveyard and all cards from the chosen player's graveyard. ~ deals damage equal to the number of cards exiled from your graveyard this way to you or the chosen player, then deals damage equal to the number of cards exiled from the chosen player's graveyard to the other player.
Absolutely no idea if that's even close to being right. Sorry, it's very tricky wording.
>>
>>51753269
To make it harder to cast mostly.

>>51754458
Yeah it could.

Shame there isn't anything more interesting to say about it apparently.
>>
File: 1405627156472.png (24KB, 994x524px) Image search: [Google]
1405627156472.png
24KB, 994x524px
>>51755653
OK, I made the second comment. Should've said it seems pretty fine, balance-wise. I mean, it's basically just a new take on Maralen.
>>
>>51755695
Yeah fair enough. That chart is sadly very true.

New Copperhead looks pretty alright, by the way. I guess I should follow suit and simplify the vamp to mono black.
>>
File: Malicious Will.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Malicious Will.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Inspired by Insidious Will. I realize creature exile is more closely related to White, but it does show up in Black, and I felt like paying 5 mana just to kill one creature was kinda weak, especially when it's not even instant speed. So I decided to use exile to boost that ability a bit. I want the card to be good, but not too good, so of course it's more expensive than any of the abilities by themselves would be.

>>51755782
>Yeah fair enough. That chart is sadly very true.
Unfortunately, yes.

>New Copperhead looks pretty alright, by the way.
Ah, cool, thanks a bunch.

>I guess I should follow suit and simplify the vamp to mono black.
Yeah, I just don't really see a need for the other colors. Plus making it mono-Black would make it a lot more flexible for Commander. Actually, IIRC, Black is the most popular color for monocolor Commander decks.
>>
>>51755848
Maybe you should chance ''Exile'' with destroy with upside? like gaining life for that creature's toughness or maybe the opponent losing life equal to its power?
>>
File: Cole Cash Grifter2.jpg (57KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cole Cash Grifter2.jpg
57KB, 375x523px
Overall mana cost lowered by 1, each ability cost upped by 1, White ability no longer taps Grifter.

>>51757890
Well, sure, I guess I could, but why? Is it just because it's mono-Black exile?
>>
>>51755848
So you figure 1BB for the vamp?
>card
I'd give it... fuck what's the entwine version where you can pay for all the modes? That.
>>
>>51757890
Mono-black has exiling creatures as part of the colour pie, brah.
>>
File: 52.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
52.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
>>51759798
>So you figure 1BB for the vamp?
Yeah, seems fine to me. Maybe scale toughness down to 2.

>I'd give it... fuck what's the entwine version where you can pay for all the modes? That.
Escalate. Though technically, Entwine activates all modes on a spell, it's just never been printed on a card with more than two modes. But I don't really want to give my card Escalate because, as I said, it was inspired by Insidious Will.
>>
>>51757956
Mostly, because Mono-black rarely have Exile. especially non-conditional exile.

>>51759889
The problem I have is that all modes on Insidious Will are very closely related. Your card's mode seem very removed one from another.
>>
File: Agent Wax2.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Agent Wax2.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>51761579
>Mostly, because Mono-black rarely have Exile. especially non-conditional exile.
And? If you want to talk about how often something comes up, I can only find one other card, Redirect, that has the same ability as Insidious Will's second mode. Two if you're being generous and throw in Wild Ricochet, but that's Red.

>The problem I have is that all modes on Insidious Will are very closely related. Your card's mode seem very removed one from another.
Yeah, because Wizards decided to give almost all spell interaction over to Blue. Frankly, I don't think that there are three abilities in Black that are as closely related to each other as the Insidious Will modes that are actually distinct from another. Like, the only other thing I can think of right now for Black would be creature destruction, -N/-N for everyone, then kill all creatures, and I don't think the second and third are distinct enough from each other. The only thing that comes to mind right now would be Red, which would be
>Destroy target artifact.
>Gain control of target artifact until end of turn. Untap that artifact. It gains haste until end of turn.
>Create a token that's a copy of target artifact. It gains haste. Exile the token at the beginning of the next end step.
Oh god, I'm already hating how close the second and third abilities are, nevermind.
>>
File: Mad Butcher.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Butcher.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Bump. Ugh, hasn't been a very good day for /ccg/.
>>
>>51764158
Hmm, actually, should it be changed so you can chop up one of your own creatures to gain life, just on the off chance you want to?
>>
I normally don't textpost WIPs, but the thread needs content.

C CB 02 Siphon Existence
1CB
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put 2 -1/-1 counters on enchanted creature.
If enchanted creature would die, exile it instead.
Common
>>
>>51761726
>Frankly, I don't think that there are three abilities in Black that are as closely related to each other as the Insidious Will modes that are actually distinct from another
Murder, Unearth, Disentomb.
>>
>>51748895
Would likely work better as a trigger. Reference Vraska's tokens. Aside from that, seems fairly solid.

>>51751837
That effect, but without the commander clause and at -1/-1 costs 2B.
The only -2/-2 is on Massacre Wurm at 3BBB, which is admittedly carrying a bunch of other nice stuff with it.
I'd say that 2BB is significantly too cheap, I'd bump it up to at least 2BBB.

>>51751850
It feels like a real WoTC "shit man uh fuck how do we do tricolor fukket just make a monocolored card cost shardstuff" card.

>>51764158
Costing seems reasonable. I don't really see why the ability is opponent creature only.
>>
>>51764612
>vamp
Yeah yeah I'm gonna change it to mono black as I said. No sense in the shard bullshit since there is no thematic reason behind it as it's a one off. I also don't take the comparison to WotC design convention as a compliment but I doubt it was intended as one anyway.
>>
File: Midnighter.jpg (185KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
Midnighter.jpg
185KB, 1125x523px
I asked about the viability of these three ideas twice before, but I didn't get a response either time, so here they all are. So, because apparently Moon anon wants to torture me, I'm making members of the Authority. This guy's gimmick is just Cassandra Cain's gimmick, except he kills people. And he does it with a computer in his head. And he's superhuman. Despite supposedly being a Batman expy.

>>51764495
Unearth and Disentomb would be too similar for me. They're just different forms of recursion and the only reason you would ever use the latter is in the cases where you can't use the former. Hmm, but what about having creature removal, some sort of recursion, and something like Infinite Obliteration?

>>51764427
Mixing C and colored mana? Gross, just give it Devoid. Or you could make the card B (with Devoid) and use C as a cost to put -1/-1 counters on the creature. But as it's costed now it's probably fine.

>>51764612
>Would likely work better as a trigger. Reference Vraska's tokens. Aside from that, seems fairly solid.
Well, I wanted it to work so that the player would already have to be at 10 or less life before the creature hits, but I guess it's not a huge deal to change. Thanks for the feedback.

>It feels like a real WoTC
It's not that they can't do it, obviously, it's that they need filler cards for sets, and unfortunately, they needed a shitload of filler for Alara. This is exactly why I keep telling people they should avoid trying their own take on Alara.

>Costing seems reasonable. I don't really see why the ability is opponent creature only.
Well, I did change it, but it was worded that way because Wizards likes using that wording now. I assume it's because Wizards wants to avoid those awkward moments were you have the only creatures that your removal can target.

>>51764764
Pretty sure it wasn't close to being a compliment at all. Honestly, if "WoTC" were removed from his post, it could be interpreted as an insult to you instead of Wizards.
>>
>>51764850
>Well, I wanted it to work so that the player would already have to be at 10 or less life before the creature hits, but I guess it's not a huge deal to change. Thanks for the feedback.
If you use an intervening if, it'll check the condition at trigger time and resolution.
>>
>>51764902
>If you use an intervening if, it'll check the condition at trigger time and resolution.
That's the opposite of what I wanted. Like, the original idea would mean that if the opponent had 11 or more life, then the card dealt combat damage to that player, it wouldn't matter how much damage was done, the instant loss condition wouldn't activate. But as I stated, I'll just change it anyway, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>51764850
Well of course it was an insult. I mean where do you think we are? Thick skin is a must and all that.

Of these three cards, I think I like the left one the most. I think it might need to be WU though, since cards like Fog Bank say that blue damage prevention is two-way.
>>
File: Lonnie Machin Anarky3.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lonnie Machin Anarky3.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Idea is a dangerous tinkerer. Like, making Molotov cocktails and shit. Just look at his name, I think you can get an idea of what he's like.

>>51765168
OK, thanks, I wasn't having a very good time with this guy. And yeah, no idea why I made the left one mono-Blue, should be WU.
>>
>>51765272
I dunno if I like how he feeds himself. I feel like he's too self-contained. And if he's always inventing new ways to go kaboom, then wouldn't he want to tutor new things instead of revisiting the old?

Also, I am concerned that he could be degenerate with certain low-cost artifacts that sac for powerful effects, like Lotus Bloom, since it's CMC is 0 even if it can't be cast.
>>
File: Sylvan Wayfinder.png (257KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sylvan Wayfinder.png
257KB, 375x523px
>>51765475
Ooops, forgot my card. I should design more commons; I like making them. This might be peeking into uncommon territory a bit, but I think it should be okay.
>>
File: Jeroen the Doctor.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jeroen the Doctor.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Don't know how to cost this. I hate that this is basically just Reweave on a stick, but all I can tell this guy does is he spouts vague stuff then turns things into other things. Fuck me, why have power when you can have something hip and new, right? I'm sorry Moon anon, I want to say very badly that I've read worse comics than The Authority, but I'm drawing a blank. Well, I guess I should keep reading, see if any of the other runs improve, and what the other creative teams bring to the table.

>>51765475
Because recursion is the first thing I thought of, not tutor. It sounds like a good idea, just have to think of a version that isn't degenerate. I guess ETB and CMC 3 or less? Should I throw some Blue in there? And thanks for the feedback.

>>51765495
I'd personally make it
>Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, ~ gains landwalk of each of that land's types until end of turn.
Well, technically I guess I'd ditch Landwalk altogether, but I'm just trying to give you better wording. And yeah, I don't see this as common at all. And if you like making commons, why not try a set?
>>
>>51765872
I feel like this is pretty easily abused on your own permanents with Scry, especially in a deck that runs 0 cost artifacts that you can pitch to it.

>Anarky
Recurring 3 or less on ETB might be better if you want to stick with that.

>Wayfinder
That's probably a bit better on the wording, yeah. Mine is technically correct but yours is more familiar overall as far as triggers go. And it's meant as a one-off theme thing, not anything beyond that, hence Landwalk, which is as dead as most of MtG's competitors. Why not common? It's NWO compliant; it's binary. Either you swing with it because it swings safely, or you defend with it using Reach. I don't really see that as an issue, depending on the set.
>why not try a set?
Which brings me to this. I have to respectfully decline.
>>
>>51766029
Actually, ignore my feedback on your card. I read it in an incomplete way and knee-jerked a response. My fault.
>>
File: Hector Morales Powerhaus.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hector Morales Powerhaus.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
A guy from DV8. I don't know how to represent emotions in Magic, so here he just gets pumped when you cast spells. Hope it's not busted or anything.

>>51766029
>I feel like this is pretty easily abused on your own permanents with Scry, especially in a deck that runs 0 cost artifacts that you can pitch to it.
But you'd only get back 0-cost artifacts back out of it. Oh right, I probably should've detailed the CMC bit. I thought it would help prevent abuse.

>Recurring 3 or less on ETB might be better if you want to stick with that.
Might try that then.

>Mine is technically correct
I don't mean to be an ass, but I'm not sure it is, because yours doesn't take into account lands with multiple types, it just sorta assumes that any land you play will have at most one land type, which will then lead it to gain Landwalk of that type. It's not a huge thing, but still.

>Which brings me to this. I have to respectfully decline.
Why? I'm not going to mock you for using dead mechanics. Star anon is using Shadow instead of Flying. I don't really agree with it, but he's free to do it.

>>51766040
Ah, I see.
>>
>>51766112
>but I'm not sure it is, because yours doesn't take into account lands with multiple types
Ah, good point. I'm a bit tired; I mostly meant the "play a land" bit instead of the "enters the battlefield under your control" bit.
>set
It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with several prior attempts that had a 100% failure rate, even when they were done, so no, I have to decline. Sorry if you want to see more sets, but I am not your guy for that.
>>
When will CCG threads ever be good?
>>
>>51767814
Thanks to you, they've been saved.
>>
>>51767814
When every card gets good, accurate feedback. I absolutely hate these situations where people will post cards one after another, but not give feedback to each other.
>>
File: Extract Essence.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Extract Essence.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Mind Stutter.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mind Stutter.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
>>51732782
Inspired me. Probably too wordy. Not sure if I could get rid of the random discard and still have it be balanced.
>>
>>51770236
I'd rather stick with Devotion than go back to Chroma.

>>51770439
I think you should work it like the Traps and make the alt cost 0. I really don't get the last ability though, why random discard? And why doesn't the card have a normal mana cost?
>>
>>51770803
It's not really devotion.
>>
>>51771205
Duh. I was referencing this.
>>
>>51767814
When people actually try to create cards with the purpose of people actually playing with them
>>
Page 10 bump. And another art challenge, let's just pretend the last one was successful.
>>
Do you feel that flash and "when ~ ETBs, indestructible until EOT" is simple enough to go on a common?
>>
>>51774394
I say no due to Drownyard Behemoth. I realize it has Emerge as well, but there are ocommons with Emerge.
>>
File: Wild Omenreader.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Omenreader.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>51773565
>>
>>51775346
Not seeing why that's red.

>>51773565
Sigilscaper
2GU
Creature - Ape Shaman
Whenever ~ ETBs or attacks, you may have target land you control become a 3/3 Elemental creature.
Whenever a land you control becomes a creature, you may attach target aura you control to it.
>>
>>51775438
Oh yeah, 2/3
>>
>>51775438
>Not seeing why that's red.
Yeah, me neither, I'll just replace the R with G.

>Sigilscaper
Ape? Anyway, I'm not sure the last ability works, I'd just tie it to the first ability.
>>
>>51775790
Merging the triggers would mean you couldn't animate your lands unless you had an aura in play.
>>
File: Triumph of Civility.png (239KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Triumph of Civility.png
239KB, 375x523px
>>51688228
Caring about land types makes this seem kind of green.
>>
>>51775885
I know, I would've changed that too.
>>
>>51777120
Domain, my dude.
>>
>>51777120
Ugh, I really don't like seeing two conditions stacked on top of each other like that. Choose one or the other.
>>
>>51777120
If you want to throw all those extras onto Unsummon, it should at least cost more.
>>
>>51659551
what happens if you cast burning inquire on this?
>>
File: Molegar Tyrant.png (263KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Molegar Tyrant.png
263KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Artillery Commander.png (206KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artillery Commander.png
206KB, 375x523px
>>51783008
I enjoy this card. It's costed appropriately, and has a decent effect that red fully supports. It could also be BR if a set theme called for it, so it's flexible for fluff as well.

I wonder if anyone will object to this being in white. White usually taps things, but since it also likes artifacts to a degree, maybe it's okay since it's a combat trigger? If not I can work on another way to make this work, which admittedly is pretty top-down and based mostly on the art.
>>
>>51783207
I can see it in white, but I also don't see the need to put it in white.
>>
>>51783579
It'd probably be a set-specific thing. That's part of the issue with one-offs; doing stuff like this doesn't make as much sense without an accompanying reason in the form of a set or cycle theme or something.
>>
File: Mental Lapse.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mental Lapse.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>51770439
Maybe like this

>>51765495
Pretty cool card, even if I don't like landwalk, but why does it have reach?
>>
File: Mental Lapse.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mental Lapse.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>51784958
Actually that's pretty bad, it would be a free remand if it played like this, here's a fixed version.
>>
>>51784958
He basically said it has Reach to compensate for how swingy Landwalk is, especially when the card looks at your lands. So, you can choose not to attack and it's still useful.
>>
NT: >>51785467
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 112

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.