[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy is pure shit it's always >fantasy England as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 15

File: 1486677975220.jpg (1MB, 1554x1662px) Image search: [Google]
1486677975220.jpg
1MB, 1554x1662px
Fantasy is pure shit it's always
>fantasy England as the protagonist faction
>North is inhabited by barbarians likely a combination of Conan the Barbarian with a caricature of norse culture
>or fantasy Russia
>exotic culture is either fantasy Japan, Egypt, Aztecs or Arabs
>Orcs despite being a warlike culture always use stone age technology, even Tolkien ones had machines despite being pushovers
>muh elegant yet dying Elves
>muh harr harr I'm gonna hook ya in the gabber ya cunt Dwarves obsessed with axes, gold and being butthurt
>beast race is either cat or wolf like because no one would jack off to pigmen
>some evil demon no one gives a fuck about

you've seen one fantasy setting you've seen them all
>>
>>51650529
That pic triggers me
>>
>>51650529
just realized this is just Europe rotated 90 degrees. I've seen it maybe 10 times. Killing myself now.
>>
File: 1486272220467-tg.gif (87KB, 192x197px) Image search: [Google]
1486272220467-tg.gif
87KB, 192x197px
>>51650529
Welcome to another yelling thread. It's slightly better than the last one because it's not about Pathfinder.

Remember, you're always right because you can't possibly be wrong, especially if you keep replying until you have the last word.
>>
>>51650529
>tfw Kurds and Armenians are the Harradrim
>>
>>51650529
This pasta is stale. I'd like a burger instead.
>>
>>51650659

There's a touch more to it, Spain is smashed way the fuck into France so it's not quite as noticeable.

Although Britain is exactly as is, so I guess it depends where you live and what makes Europe recognizable ot you.
>>
File: 1441350798175.jpg (37KB, 478x317px) Image search: [Google]
1441350798175.jpg
37KB, 478x317px
>>51650668
Yeah, I will be back in twenty posts to see if something interesting might come out of this thread. Until then: hide and ignore.
>>
>>51650529

The funny thing about all this is that REH was the canon-settler for fantasy maps which JRRT never was.
>>
File: 1479427815757.jpg (58KB, 640x831px) Image search: [Google]
1479427815757.jpg
58KB, 640x831px
>>51650529
Thank you OP, I keked the first time I saw this picture but forgot to save it. Been looking for it ever since.
>>
>>51650725
REH?
>>
>>51650529

The Italy part is stupid tough: imperial Rome was everything but limited to Italy.
>>
File: Goat.jpg (123KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Goat.jpg
123KB, 450x300px
>>51650529
>you've seen one fantasy setting you've seen them all

what is The Black Company
what is The Malazan Book of the Fallen
what is The Way of the Kings

read more my friend
>>
/tg/ bait is pure shit it's always
>popular setting or game as the subject of derision
>less popular game or setting as the implied alternative
>or weird obscure game
>exotic topics of trolling is either politics or religion
>despite being a dead game, most of it still centers around 3.5, even 5e gets less trolling
>muh shit-twinkie 4th edition
>muh hurr durr pauldrons mehreens
>despite being largely hostile to furries, the subject somehow still stirs up shit on /tg/
>some angry troll no one gives a fuck about

you've seen one /tg/ bait thread you've seen them all
>>
File: hyboria_by_sapiento-d4bvej9.jpg (565KB, 1600x1111px) Image search: [Google]
hyboria_by_sapiento-d4bvej9.jpg
565KB, 1600x1111px
>>51650770

Conan isn't pleased, anon.
>>
>>51650789
>what is

exactly my thoughts because I never heard about any of that shit I bet it's target audience are 14 years old anime enthusiasts but I'm 22 too old to read copypasted LOTR rip offs about Sir Cuckedalot trying to defeat not Sauron I'd rather fucking watch the paint dry instead.
>>
>>51650770

Robert E. Howard.
>>
>>51650831
Oh, Robert E. Howard.

Yeah, it's weird because his map design isn't really much better. It's more or less on Golarion's level, only it's older so it gets a pass.
>>
>>51650529

>fantasy England as the protagonist faction
one is closer to Spain/Crusader kingdoms, and another one is Italian/Byzantine

>North is inhabited by barbarians likely a combination of Conan the Barbarian with a caricature of norse culture
>or fantasy Russia
ok you got me there

>exotic culture is either fantasy Japan, Egypt, Aztecs or Arabs
no fantasy Japan, the others exist but there is also fantasy India, Africa and lovecraftian tibet/antarctica for extra exoticness

>Orcs despite being a warlike culture always use stone age technology, even Tolkien ones had machines despite being pushovers
>muh elegant yet dying Elves
>muh harr harr I'm gonna hook ya in the gabber ya cunt Dwarves obsessed with axes, gold and being butthurt
>beast race is either cat or wolf like because no one would jack off to pigmen
all fairfolk races are re-imagined with the original mythology considered equally with tolkien and gygax

>some evil demon no one gives a fuck about
the "evil demon" is in fact evil itself, the opposite of the natural order of the world, and is a black void that consumes reality; its offspring are worshiped by dark cults around the world, while its avatar is always a mortal who tried to become a god and succeeded, thus becoming a paradoxical avatar of original sin

How cliche'd is my setting?
>>
>>51650659
If italy didn't tip you off the first time you saw it, then yeah, you probably should.
>>
>>51650831
>Asgard
>Turan
>Iranistan

so fucking creative that Robert E Howard was
>>
>>51650859
Cliched enough that you felt insecurity sufficient to try and get us to validate it.
>>
>>51650865
To be fair to the man, he was a hack in the most accurate sense of the term. His whole reason for writing was to make money by the word, and he made no excuses for it beyond needing the money.
>>
>>51650859
Just because you switched England for moorblood countries doesn't make it any less cliche you fucking spaghetti.
>>
>>51650871

(^:
>>
>>51650881
>he was a hack

so was Lovecraft and Tolkien for that matter in fact all old fantasy is pure garbage
>>
File: My Sides.jpg (28KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
My Sides.jpg
28KB, 720x540px
>>51650841
You are either trolling or retarded

In any case go watch paint dry somewhere where there is no internet access
>>
>>51650859

Unreadamable/10

>>51650865

Oh, no, he was, make no mistake.

He was the first to "rebuild" Eurasia/Africa in this fashion, to actually give a fuck about a... hrm, pseduo-ethnological angle.

The problem is that you can' really take the most iconic periods of european nations and make that shit original more than once.

>>51650881

Bullshit.
>>
>>51650831
>What if Europe
>Was North Africa

/pol/ - the early years
>>
>>51650891
Just saying man. If you think it's cliched (and you would have to on some level to even bother asking), it probably is and you shouldn't be trying to get us to justify it for you.
>>
>>51650859
>no fantasy japan

Why live?

>one is closer to Spain/Crusader kingdoms, and another one is Italian/Byzantine

"My protagonist factions are the sum of all Europeans"
>>
>>51650831
I always thought of it as a "pre-deluge" Europe.
>>
>>51650859
>the "evil demon" is in fact evil itself, the opposite of the natural order of the world, and is a black void that consumes reality; its offspring are worshiped by dark cults around the world, while its avatar is always a mortal who tried to become a god and succeeded, thus becoming a paradoxical avatar of original sin

Isn't that, like, 3 final fantasy final bosses?
>>
>>51650865
Iranistan is bad.
But most of the others make sense. It's pre-history, they're places that are supposed to fade into myth and legend.
>>
>>51650912

Actually the "dry mediterreanean" was a thing in geology in the thirties.

>it's pretty sad how less catastrophic geology is nowdays for us fantasy nerds, you can' really go on and come up with an half-plausibile deluge or something and use it to justify weird ancient history
>>
Conan stories suck it's always
>damsel in distress
>Conan saves her

or
>Conan encounters a monster
>flips his shit
>oneshots him anyway

I kek'd at the moment where he exchanged racial slurs with one black guy though.
>>
>>51650901
No, I don't mean hack in the sense of being untalented, I mean hack in the sense of producing art not for artistic merit but for money.

Not sure about Howard, but Tolkien doesn't really fit this definition.

>>51650904
>Bullshit.

In his own words:

>Literature is a business to me - a business at which I was making an ample living when the Depression knocked the guts out of the markets. My sole desire in writing is to make a reasonable living. I may cling to many illusions, but I am not ridden by the illusion that I have anything wonderful or magical to say, or that it would amount to anything particularly if I did say it. I have no quarrel with art-for-art's sakers. On the contrary, I admire their work. But my pet delusions tend in other directions.

Source: the Complete Chronicles of Conan.

He didn't consider himself an artist, and produced primarily themeless pulp that was meant first and foremost to make money. He was a hack, and I don't mean it as an insult.
>>
>>51651021

And yet the Hyborian Age is one of the definitive fantasy settings
>>
>>51651045
That's not saying much since fantasy is to literature what metal is to music - garbage for children.
>>
>>51650981
Is it supposed to be dry-med? It looks to me like Algeria (Cimmeria) butts right up against the generically nordic countries. I might just be overstating the size of not-Africa but the shape of the curves seems right.

I mean, Pictish Wilderness and Aquilonia translate fairly obviously to real world Europe but the geography (If not climate) seems to match the overall shape of the African continent.
>>
>>51651045
That's fine. There's nothing wrong with pulp produced for profit's sake. Howard's stories were quite entertaining, they just had little artistic merit on their own outside of being highly influential.
>>
>>51650902
You say that like those are different.
>>
>>51650998

Execpt:

Tower of the Elephant
Black Colossus
Rogues in the House
Queen of the Black Coast
A Witch Shall be Born
Beyond the Black River
Red Nails
Hour of the Dragon

Why do crave being so ignorant, anon?

>>51651021

He didn't exactly mean "I don't give a fuck about what I write", anon. He meant he wanted the stories to be successful.
>>
>>51650696
Maybe that's because it's the mark 2 after Gibraltar was dismissed as too unrealistic and "oh this entire fucking Inland sea has this tiny fucking choke point, like that makes any sense".
At least that's what I like to think.
>>
>>51650864
oh well, for me it was the great penis of the north that made me realize it was europe...
>>
>>51651118
>He didn't exactly mean "I don't give a fuck about what I write", anon. He meant he wanted the stories to be successful.

He was pretty explicit in that he didn't consider himself an artist. I'm sure he was fond of the characters, but his aim was still profit and first and foremost.
>>
>>51650981
There will always be astronomy for that, though.
>>51651118
>He didn't exactly mean "I don't give a fuck about what I write", anon
Have you ever read Tarzan?
>>
>>51650914

Just tooling around by posting in this thread for the laughs m8, I know my setting has plenty of derivative elements.

The only real way to write good non-cliched fantasy is to return to the cultural soul that produced fantasy, making things exotic for their own sake won't solve much.
>>
>>51651062

Generic tellurci cataclism did ensue a tthe end the Hyborian Age, but yeah, dry med is canon.

>>51651146

True: he did think of himself as an artisan. Quite correctly, I guess.
>>
>>51650998
Almost none of the stories are like that.
Conan spends a good amount of time fleeing for his life.
>>
>>51651157
>Have you ever read Tarzan?

That was Burroughs wasn't it?
>>
See, this shit is why people go apeshit for things like Dark Souls lore, because it *isn't* the Euro-American fantasy autofellatio that we all know by now. Feels better when someone else (e.g. a Japanese studio) is doing the figurative dick-sucking of the source material i.e. Western fantasy "canon".
>>
>>51651182
>That was Burroughs wasn't it?
Oh, you are right. I think I suffered a brain fart and confused the two.
>>
>>51650529
>all the same
>in the things he listed there are 16 possible different combinations
>>
>>51651202

>Feels better when someone else (e.g. a Japanese studio) is doing the figurative dick-sucking of the source material i.e. Western fantasy "canon".

Which Japanese studio is doing this? If you look at, say, Berserk, you'll find contemporary Western fantasy done arguably better by non-westerners, who are looking at all of western folklore as the source material and not just dungeons and dragons.
>>
>>51651202
>almost all enemies and NPCs are knights
>t-this isn't like generic european fantasy!

fucking lol
>>
>>51651255
Dark Souls by Fromsoft is "Totally Not Berserk: A Video Game". The director is a huge Berserk nerd and jerks off to old European architecture.
>>
>>51651262
I'm not sure you could miss the point more if you tried.
>>
>>51651059
I'd like to say something snide about how capital L Literature has become nothing but an irrelevant, navel gazing, atavistic circle jerk, but R. Scott Bakker's blog (Three Pound Brain) has already done a better takedown than I ever could.

Alot of the most influential art was delivered as mass entertainment. See: Shakespeare's fart jokes and sex puns
>>
>>51650529
>beast race is either cat or wolf like
That's because far more people have affection for cats and dogs than any other animals for an obvious reason.
>>
>>51650748
I didn't expect tumblr "artists" to steal jokes from Titus Lucretius Carus of all people.
>>
>>51651454
Bakker is 1000% shit writing though. "Literature" has it's head up its own ass, but Bakker is literally just mad his edgy bible fanfics where every woman is a whore and every man is a sad dude who has INNER DARKNESS aren't taken seriously by lit critics. "Literature" is mostly shit with a handful of redeeming examples, but so is genre lit.
>>
>>51651516
is it really stealing if nobody knows who came up with the concept in the first place
>>
>>51651262
DS2 is not canon, and should not be considered a Dark Souls game
>>
>>51651588
Then DS3 shouldn't be considered a game at all, because it's pure suckage compared to DS2.
>>
>>51651670
At least you could say Dark Souls 2 doesn't count because it wasn't directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki while Dark Souls 3, for all its faults, was.
>>
File: 852_03226.jpg (255KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
852_03226.jpg
255KB, 1200x1800px
>>51651670
>There are people who still think DS2 is better than 3
How can such shit taste exist? Is /v/ leaking again?
>>
>>51651588
>Aldia mentioned, with his signature spell "Soul Stream" found in the Archives
>giants with hole-faces in Irithyll
>giant tree in Firelink Shrine that drops a Giant Tree Seed
>Yhorm's chainmail hood itself is a reference to the hole-face and his boss fight a callback to both the Giant Lord and the manta ray demon thing from Demon's Souls
>lands of Mirrah and Forossa explicitly mentioned and represented by armor sets
>Drang Knights in Irithyll and Lothric Castle
>Vendrick's Shield of Want
>Nashandra's portrait in Irithyll next to Gwynevere's
>Laddersmith Gilligan from Earthen Peak found dead in the Profaned Capital next to a bunch of his ladders
>Highlord Wolnir's crown states he got the idea of collecting crowns after hearing about Vendrick
>Alva, Seeker of the Spurned returns

>>51651670
it has more interesting and inspired level design though
>>
File: 8.png (17KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
8.png
17KB, 600x600px
>>51650529
>>
>>51651712
I dunno, I kinda liked the mellow, contemplative tone of DSII more than what DSIII attempted to do with the lore. II is like returning home from a long day of hard labor and feeling every muscle ache while you get comfy at the fireplace, letting your mind wander and reflecting on your life.

III is like getting mugged by Jehova's Witnesses in the streets after a hard day at work to me.
>>
>>51651723
>it has more interesting and inspired level design though
I think you mean "Has more retarded impossible space"
Seriously, The world space makes no sense, and most of the places like the wharf, jail, and depths are just boring.

The only interesting places in DS2 were the Aerie and Loyce
>>
Explain to me how the English are not the protagonists of history.
>>
>>51651775
>muh forever cycles reincarnation fanfiction.net tier lore
>good
DS2 had the WORST lore of the Souls games.
At least DS3 actually tried to build on the lore and give it closure. Further, it was in production long before DS2 was, and it was written specifically to be a continuation and finishing of the franchise.

DS2 just tried to slap names and references together in the most retarded and haphazard way just to go "hey look, we're referencing DS1! Are we cool yet hurrr!"
>>
>>51651790
I meant DS3 not DS2. DS2 is "a box with a path in it" and I'm not gonna defend it online, not even as a joke. It has some good levels (Lost Bastille, The Gutter but only in Scholar edition because that version doesn't shred your framerate, Shrine of Amana, Undead Crypt for aesthetics only, Dragon Aerie and all of the DLC areas) and you *can* argue that the impossible space is due to them scrapping the warp point world map halfway through development, but yeah. DS2's levels overall are not so good.

>>51651815
more like the villains amirite
>>
>>51651723
Not if we count the DLC's.
>>
>>51651815
England spawned the protagonists of history.
>>
>>51650529
>>muh harr harr I'm gonna hook ya in the gabber ya cunt Dwarves obsessed with axes, gold and being butthurt
and beards, don't forget beards
>>
>>51650529
>who designed this, an alien?
I still feel stupid for taking so long to get this joke
>>
File: 1413533894086.jpg (37KB, 314x316px) Image search: [Google]
1413533894086.jpg
37KB, 314x316px
>>51651826
Except DS2 was actually a good game, while 3 is a steaming pile of unplayable shit. Lore doesn't count for much when the GAMEPLAY is bad. You know, since it's...a game.
>>
>>51651723
>>Aldia mentioned, with his signature spell "Soul Stream" found in the Archives
Except that's wrong, since its been heavily implied in the lore that the Head Scholar of the archive, who trained Lothric, was actually Sullyvahn

Also, for the rest of those I'm fairly certain they were either originally written for DS3, but got ripped for DS2, or were just thrown in just to appease the need for a connection for DS2
>>
>>51651712
It should be obvious by this point that he was convinced to do the sequels by Namco. He didn't want any, he wanted to make Bloodborne. And now that he has Kadokawa's monies backing him, he made it clear he won't make more Souls games.
>>
>>51651928
all the little fiddly bits
>>
>>51651939
>Except DS2 was actually a good game
>The game were every enemy have a tracking device permanently locked on the player
>Good
>>
>>51650684
So what are the rohirrim turks mixed with swedes or something ?
>>
>>51650971
Also when he wrote that shit, there was no googles and wikipedias for every nerds to know every detail of every bullshit dead religion, so far less people probably even recognized those names.
>>
>>51651826
The DSI references are the weakest points of DSII, true, but they kinda have to be there to make casul players aware that yes, this is a Souls game in the Souls universe. Where I think II's lore shines is the things that aren't connected to the previous game.

>the question of what makes a King worthy of his title
>Vendrick trying (and failing!) to become like Gwyn (which is kind of a meta commentary on sequels if you squint hard enough)
>Nashandra using you to break down the safeguards Vendrick had installed to make sure she never reaches the Throne
>Vendrick and Nashandra's whole dynamic
>Aldia's "muh cycles" if you don't instinctively hate lore that isn't "muh Berserk"
>the little side quests like the dullahan NPC whose body you have to fight, or Lucatiel's whole story

And III is better for having Aldia beat you over the head with "IT'S A CYCLE THAT NEVER FUCKING ENDS IF WE DON'T BREAK IT OURSELVES OR SOMETHING GOES REALLY REALLY WRONG" because that way, III's main story has way more impact; something DID go really really wrong and now the cycle IS ending. This doesn't make sense if you don't introduce the concept of cycles in the first place.

>>51651940
>Sulyvahn

I haven't heard that one before, but of all the candidates for "scholar who doubted the linking of the flame" (Kaathe, Aldia, Crystal Sage, Sulyvahn), only one of them looks like a deformed wax head, has the title of Scholar and is able to create artificial dragons (like the wyverns in Lothric Castle who have Pus of MAN infecting them, which only affects humans) which is something that would definitely have caught Oceiros attention, since he wanted to become one. I'm not saying it's definitely 100% Aldia, since there's also Kaathe statues in the Archives, but I think there's a lot of arguments in favor of Aldia being Lothric's tutor that aren't just Soul Stream being there. And Miyazaki doesn't place items randomly so Soul Stream being there is definitely on purpose.

>>51651939
This is b8
>>
>>51652063
Normans without water.
>>
>>51650971
This but you could even say iranistan could be an old name for the same place.
Iran isn't that new in name.
>>
>>51652063
No can't you read the map? Scandies are elves. Rohirrim are German or something roughly.
>>
>>51650998
How would that be bad though?
>>
>>51652036
>mechanics are Blood Souls simply smashed into a Dark Souls game
>magic builds are obsolete from release, still are
>dex affect cast speed (lol)
>millions of Estus chugging at light speed
>PvP nonexistent
>anything larger than a longsword is shit
>poise broken
>millions of bonfires everywhere
>stat inducing builds obsolete

Face it, the dev team DID NOT want to do DS3, and it shows. B Team at least put heart into the second installment, and it shows. DS2 was a way more solid installment than 3 could ever hope to be.
>>
>>51651939
>Except DS2 was actually a good game,
>Agility tax
>Agility existing, period
>too many boring humanoid enemies with the same moveset
>difficulty is just adding HP and Poise to enemies, looking at you Sunken Chodes.
>broken casting and 0cast speed havel mages being super common
>even laggier backstabs thanks to the headslap
>fucking hexes
>the most boring boss design in the entire series
>the DLC's "co-op" dungeons
>Santier Spear and RITB spam
>making people buy the game twice just to give us all the features they had promised in the beginning.
>the WORST and jankiest hitbox detection in the series, with the most retarded attack tracking
>healing being fucking trivial thanks to soulgems and estus together
>worst level design in the franchise
>worst implementation of boss adds and multi-enemy boss fights
>Shittier Ornestein for no reason
>Ancient Dragon being the worst Dragon Boss in the series
>invisible forest enemies

The only good things from DS2 were character respecs, Ivory King boss fight (even if the lore was retarded), and Ornifx
>>
>>51651939
>DS2
>the game where half the bosses can be beaten by running up to them, walking in a circle around them, and then occasionally attacking
>good
>>
>>51652134
>Shittier Ornstein for no reason

That's Dark Souls 3 though.
>>
>>51651939
Oh come on, a lot of the problem with DS3 is just that you don't have that mechanic from bloodborne where you get some health back if you immediately hit an enemy after taking damage. The game as a whole isn't a steaming pile of unplayable shit though, that is ridiculously hyperbolic.
>>
>>51651815

They're not chinese, I guess.
>>
>>51652134
if you don't think Velstadt and the Mirror Knight are the tightest shit you can get the fuck out right now

>>51652175
the game's problem is that it tries to be Bloodborne and Demon's Souls at the same time and manages neither.
>>
>>51652154
I'm talking about the "Old Dragonslayer" from DS2, aka one of the most retarded things about the game

Dragonslayer Armor both fights nothing like, nor has any lore connections, to Ornestein you illiterate fuckstick
>>
>>51652198
Then why does he have the Dragonslayer spear (but with a different blade u guise!! it's origonol!!!) and Ornstein's armor. Why is he even called "Dragonslayer Armor" if it's not an epick reference to Ornstein? Old Dragonslayer was half-assed boss fight, but no less out of place than Dragonslayer Armor.
>>
>>51650529
>or fantasy Russia

Fantasy Russia/Ukraine/central asia would be Rohan... white horsemen with spears.
>>
>>51652195
>Velstadt
any easy fight anyone who isn't brain damaged can beat on their first try, with a boring move set save for his bell casts

>Mirror Knight
You mean the boss who's original gimmick barely even works, and when you take away his buddy summoning he ends up being just as easy to fight as all the NPC knights from the same level?
>>
>>51652175
Maybe calling it unplayable was a bit too much, but it has nothing on DS2's sheer build variety and replayability. DS3 was the only game of the series where I was getting to the end and just wanting the fucking thing to be over. That's not a good sign.
>>
>>51652245
Because Russia is so fucking famous for their cavalry.
>>
>>51650831

The word used for the china facsimile is the russian word for china.
>>
>>51652268

Fucking Cossacks man. Right up until Napoleon, driving him out.
>>
File: help.png (849KB, 732x553px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
849KB, 732x553px
>>51652246
>barely even works
>mfw Haveljester and naked katana men in literally every attempt until no more human effigies
>>
>>51652255
People always praise DS 2 with stuff like "build variety" and "replayability".
But if game is shit at it's core in the first playthrough, what would replayability help?
>>
>>51652288
>cossacks
>Russia

as usual americans are retarded
>>
>>51652292
Because being the weakest Souls game doesn't make it a bad game. It's not Lords of the Fallen level bad, just "not as good" and most players seem to agree on that. Only /v/ and reddit actively hate Souls 2.
>>
>>51652332
You really have to fuck up if reddit hates a game, though.
>>
>>51652292
>shit at it's core
>it's

Opinion. Also, DS2's flaws could for the most part be overlooked or worked around in some way, unlike 3's. Unless you're one of those geography autists who sperg out over Lethal Lava Land being up in the sky.
>>
>>51652332
/v/ is counterculture, which means it has to figure out new ways to praise Souls 2, now that the popular opinion is against it.

Sure, it's not unplayable and compared to Lords of the Fallen it's outright pleasant, but it is the weakest souls game, easily.
>>
>>51652146
I'd like you to beat Fume Knight this way. Fume Knight is in general the toughest boss of all Souls games. I have a suspicion that the faggots who keep trashing DS 2 bosses never got past him.
>>
>>51652365
Reddit also hates every facet of Christianity in Western culture, while praising Islam's "contributions" to society. That tells you how reliable their opinion is.
>>
>>51652300
c-c-cossacks are ukrainian not russian at all s-stupid amerifat respect my nation's sovereignty

Sorry Andriy but they were as much russian as they were ukrainian. Overcome your petty nationalist butthurt. Your precious cossacks aren't going to come and save you from Putin.
>>
>>51652146
>bringing up gameplay in a lore discussion

why are you people doing this
>>
>>51652375
Core gameplay of 3 is solid.
Core gameplay of 2 is not.
Which one of these is the one with minor fixable flaws?

DS 3 feels so good that just the act of playing it, just doing stuff in it gives me an erection.
Meanwhile playing DS 2 just gives me annoying itch at the rim of my anus.
>>
>>51652300
No mate, you're the one who's retarded.
Posting this from Rostov, the capital of cossacks.
>>
>>51652124
>>mechanics are Blood Souls simply smashed into a Dark Souls game
Well yeah, of course a game would share mechanics with its predecessors, thats how videogames work

>>magic builds are obsolete from release, still are
They just require more investment, and its a lot better than how retardedly OP for little investment they were back in previous games

>>dex affect cast speed (lol)
Was the same as in DS1, and is honestly much more balanced that investing in attunement until your cast speed is half a milisecond

>>millions of Estus chugging at light speed
Soul Gems were infinitely more cancerous

>>PvP nonexistent
Fight clubs, invasions, and now the Arena beg to differ.
>inb4 Arena doesn't count!
If you can use DS2 DLC and the SotFS for your argument, then I can use the Arena. Plus at least Soul Memory isn't around to fuck over matchmaking, forcing my lvl 85 Str guy to have to fight a level 175 jesterhavel (true story)

>>anything larger than a longsword is shit
And anything that wasn't hexes, katanas, or RITB in DS2 was shit as well.

>>Poise broken
Was also broken in DS2 moron, or need I remind you of duel-weild longsword chainstunlock, or even just twinblade chainstunlock, Hell, Katanas were bad at it too.

>>millions of bonfires everywhere
Fucking lot less than DS2 fuckstick

>>stat inducing builds obsolete
They were also shit in DS2, and at least we now have Hollow Infusions to make it easier.

>>51652389
>Implying I wasn't able to beat "Roll to the right to dodge everything: the Boss"
Though I will admit, the hitpoint bloat did make it take much longer than it needed
>>
>>51652409
Literal retard

>>51652437
no one gives a fuck where are you posting from you dumb ruskie cunt mongoloid fucking faggot
>>
>>51652292
>"build variety"
You mean the choice between either a twinblade, a katana, or hexspam, all of them decked in near complete Havels and with the anti-backstab ring on?
>>
>>51652422
>DS3 feels good
>dodge-dodge-dodge-chug-dodge-R1-R1-R1-dodge-dodge-R1-chug-dodge
>stunlock literally every enemy with even the tiniest sword

DS3 feels good to you because it's casualized.

>>51652441
Lifegems did not heal as fast as 3's chugging and took longer to use. Also if you think Longsword-Falchion powerstance wasn't good in 2, we did not play the same game.
>>
>>51652465
you seem butthurt commrade
>>
>>51652407
There is a lot a subreddits that are dedicate to hating Islam or "redpilling" people, and r/4chan(yes, that is thing) thinks /pol/ is the hottest shit since the sliced bread. Hell, remember the whole clusterfuck when r/fatpeoplehate got deleted?
>>
>>51652485
That has nothing to do with what I said.
DS 3, feels good at it's core. It feels good before you hit a single enemy. You can walk around swinging in air in DS3 and it just feels good.
>>
File: SotFS_Velstadt.jpg (1MB, 1363x863px) Image search: [Google]
SotFS_Velstadt.jpg
1MB, 1363x863px
I don't care if his boss fight was mechanically trivial, this guy had the best intro, the best armor, the best role in the story, and the best weapon design.
>>
>>51652441
>Roll to the right to dodge everything: the Boss
Except when the attack suddenly comes from the right and you're quickly comboed to death. Yeah, you definitely didn't beat him.
>>
>>51652407
>t. redditfugee
>>
>>51652507
>muh feelings are facts

are you a republican
>>
>>51652441
>Poise broken in 2
Lie. I went up against poise fucks consistently. Poise in 3 was TURNED OFF because the devs didn't know wtf

>magic in 3 is more balanced than 2
I'm not falling for this bait.

>invasions in 3 beg to differ
There are no invasions in the third game. None. And this is coming from a dedicated redfag who lives to see blues and golds bleed. The third game killed the invasion community. I won't even go into how bad the pvp is in 3 because I have a dissertation over how atrociously broken it is.
>>
>>51652542
When it comes to any form of art, videogames included, my personal subjective opinion, is the most fucking important thing there is.
>>
>>51652535
>Except when the attack suddenly comes from the right
>>51652535
You're supposed to dodge into attacks, not away you fucking moron.
Raime is only difficult because of HP bloat, as well as if you miss the timing on dodging the big sweep.
>>
>>51652465
Delicious meltdown, thank you. Now go back to /pol/
>>
>>51652124
>millions of bonfires everywhere
Dude, every bonfire in DS2 is 5 minutes from each other, generally with a 4-6 strong trash mob between each of them.
>>
>>51652274

It's the older name for china in a bunch of European languages. It's kinda the point, you don't call it Etiophia, you call it Meroe.
>>
>>51652465
>>51652494
>>51652571

No infighting.
That's what the NATO Atlanticist Globalist Establishment want.
>>
>>51652562
You know people get nervous when they start using obvious slips as an argument.
>if you miss the timing on dodging the big sweep
That's probably the easiest thing to dodge and get a couple of hits on him. The more you talk the clearer it becomes that the only way you beat him was by watching a YouTube video of a guy beating him.
>>
>>51650694
>tfw made pasta tonight
:(
>>
>>51652557
>Lie
https://youtu.be/PaqOVfDyb_I
>>
>>51652600
I'm not a hohol.
>>
>>51652612
>That's probably the easiest thing to dodge
Not if you didn't pay the agility tax, because if not then the hitbox on it can be pretty jank if you dodge too early.

then again, I'm not sure whether they fixed it in the SotFS rerelease, I played the DLC day one on 360, and decided that even if they did fix some of the issues, there was no way in hell I'd let Fromsoft jew me out of another $60
>>
>>51652485
>>dodge-dodge-dodge-chug-dodge-R1-R1-R1-dodge-dodge-R1-chug-dodge
>>stunlock literally every enemy with even the tiniest sword
Except that was literally the same thing in DS2.

Hell, I used to get a good amount of invasions kills from stunlocking people with the Sun Straightsword and the Puzzling Stonesword.
>>
>>51652713
I'm not talking about invasions. I'm talking slapping Lothric Knights around like they're made of pudding with a fucking Longsword. Every enemy in 3 feels like they're a wet pool noodle that flops around if so much as breathe in its general direction. Stunlocking players is fine because of the poise system, since poise is a thing that should theoretically prevent that from happening. And fuck off if you think you could chug mid fight in 2 and not get all of your regenerated HP taken off during the 30 billion year long drinking animation that locks you in place.
>>
>>51652786
>Stunlocking players is fine because of the poise system
See>>51652634
Also
> And fuck off if you think you could chug mid fight in 2 and not get all of your regenerated HP taken off during the 30 billion year long drinking animation that locks you in place
Not they guy you are replying to, but unless you are fighting a fast enemy in a cramped environment, is pretty simple to do that.
>>
>>51652880
>Not they guy
*Not the guy
>>
>>51652880
It would be okay if you could stack poise to prevent it. But since based Miyazaki decided to break poise...

>if you pick your battles wisely, you can afford to heal mid fight unpunished

Gee, I wonder if that could be on purpose.
>>
>>51652786
>Stunlocking players is fine because of the poise system, since poise is a thing that should theoretically prevent that from happening.
which it didn't at all in DS2

>. I'm talking slapping Lothric Knights around like they're made of pudding with a fucking Longsword. Every enemy in 3 feels like they're a wet pool noodle that flops around if so much as breathe in its general direction.
Enemies in DS# also attack faster, and said lothric knights, as well as the cathedral knights, that had the greatswords did possess hyper armor that would fuck you up if you mistimed an attack, as well as the Demon Sorcerers, the Silver Knights, the Black Knights, the Darkwraiths, the Puss of Man, and the Milwood Knights who had the Greataxe and the Hammer

Also, why would I chug an estus in DS2, when the soulgems were even faster than a DS1 estus? PLus with Soul Gems, if you were any good at the game, chances are you'd just keep stockpiling them, use the estus between fights, and save your around 50+ soul gems for actual dangerous combat. Plus its not like PVE wasn't made trivial in DS2 with a bonfire generally 5-10 minutres from eachother.
>>
>>51652916
>since poise SHOULD *THEORETICALLY* prevent it

LEARN
TO
READ

Also it's called a Lifegem you illiterate mong.
>>
>>51652903
>. But since based Miyazaki decided to break poise.
>he doesn't know its back.
>>
>>51652903
>if you pick your battles wisely, you can afford to heal mid fight unpunished
>Gee, I wonder if that could be on purpose.
It is not picking your fights wisely, it is literally either waiting for the enemy to ends its attack animations, or just disengaging and healing, and that was just with the Estus Flask.
>>
Am I correct in assuming this thread is now Dark Souls General?
>>
>>51653012
If it is, then I would like to talk about how hyped I am for Ringed City, as well as the Lore implications of this city being given to the Pygmies by Gwyn following the War with the Dragons, and how perhaps this could've been the source of his major distrust of humanity and the descendants of the Dark Soul
>>
File: 1409679049378.jpg (55KB, 499x497px) Image search: [Google]
1409679049378.jpg
55KB, 499x497px
>>51650859
>evil itself, the opposite of the natural order of the world
>>
>>51652088
Its actually a semi-popular theory that has been floating around
>Sully leaves the Painted World as a Young Sorcerer
>Comes across the Profaned Capital, and its Profaned Flame, gets inspired and takes the profaned flame for himself and binds it to a sword, and gains knowledge of Logan's sorceries from the Court Sorcerers of the Profaned Capital.
>Goes to Lothric and becomes a Scholar, trains the Young Prince and instills in him a disdain for the linking of the fire (which he would have, considering how the denizens of the Painted World feel about it), hence why there's a statue of Lothric with Sully's bracelet and sword on the High Wall, and how the Scholars got a hold of Logan's crystal sorceries.
>Goes to Irithyl, introduces sorcerous heresy and becomes the new Pontiff, usurping the Old Royalty, taking the Sword of Judgement as his symbol of office
>Feeds Gwyndolin to Aldritch, locks Yorshka away, and awaits for the Fire to die and for Aldritch's Age of Deep Sea to happen
>Sends both Vordt and the Dancer to defend Lothric and to keep the Unkindled from reaching him, as well as a convenient way of getting rid of them

PLus their the fact that in the phase 2 of his boss fight, he does start to grow those dark pilgrim wings
>>
>>51650529

Nah my setting's like this;
>no protagonist faction, but the biggest countries are a fantasy china/usa and fantasy aztec empire/victorian london/vatican city
>north is a cold as fuck mountain range
>Every culture's exotic in different ways
>Only humans and ancient aliens
>beast race is All Tomorrows-tier flesh-weapons invented by ancient empires
>Only demons are capitalist pigs
>>
>>51652124
>anything larger than a longsword is shit
I seem to do fine spamming left mouse with great hammers at 40 stamina, 50 strength, and the rest dumped into HP. Enemies have to close with me eventually and one hit knocks off a 20% to 30% of their health and staggers them, while hyperarmour allows me to just ignore their attacks while I'm attacking.

Maybe I'm just shit, but I cannot fucking use small swords, great hammers, greatswords, and ultra greatswords are all that work for me. Lack of hyperarmour makes fighting exhausting and risky.
>>
File: sex-elf[1].jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
sex-elf[1].jpg
19KB, 400x300px
>>51650529
>HERE BE ELVES

It's a joke image but it's not wholly wrong
>>
>>51650529
>it's always
Opinion discarded
>>
>>51655240
>fantasy usa

How does that work? They have no medieval history, so i'm always curious about which direction people go with the concept.
>>
File: ChineseFantasy-Medium.jpg (64KB, 696x768px) Image search: [Google]
ChineseFantasy-Medium.jpg
64KB, 696x768px
How do you successfully do Chinese fantasy?
>>
>>51651588
Oh boy are you in for a rude awakening with the coming DLC.
>>
>>51657791
Do you mean "Chinese" fantasy as in Chinese-themed fantasy or Chinese fantasy, as opposed to Western fantasy? You'd probably start by reading up on their history, myths, and legends as well as their culture and so on if it's the latter.
If the former well first off Kings and Queens need to go, there are no nobility in Imperial China.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.