[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 29

File: dwarf4.jpg (104KB, 736x998px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf4.jpg
104KB, 736x998px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51642994
>>
Does anyone have any advice on how to run a session(s) where players are tracking down a target?

Specifically my players are trying to track down some frost giants that had fled from an attack on Bryn Shander the day before. Like I'm not sure how to mechanically work it so it's interesting.

I get the impression that the players should encounter evidence that the giants had passed by an area, but I don't know how how to make it non-linear. In my mind, I'm thinking it would play out something like "the players encounter the camp of the giants, then they find some carcasses where the giants ate lunch, then they find a caravan which had been demolished, then they find the giants." But that seems way too linear and predetermined.
>>
>in court
>attack cop
>get disintegrated
>wahhhh

Get Gud
>>
>wizards obsessively study the nature of the Weave and have quantified magical fluctuations to a point where specific symbols, gestures, and vocalizations can produce a standardized, desired effect in a trained user every time
>but no one can know a greatsword is twice as damaging as a shortsword in the hands of the average person
>>
So for Detect Thoughts I need verbal, somatic and material of a copper. If I wave my hands around and mumble nonsense in front of someone I'm casting it on, that's obviously sketchy. Can I just flick a copper to the target and say "penny for your thoughts"? I'm super new to all this.
>>
>>51648082
>The rules are not the physics of the universe
Good to know that I don't have to be a Tabaxi Barbarian Monk to run as fast as an Olympic athlete, I just have to explain to the DM that humans are capable at running at speeds much greater than the >7mph allowable by the rules which is slower than jogging speed IRL
>>
>>51648175
The running speeds in the DMG aren't a sprint.
>>
File: mysticalgibberish.jpg (126KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
mysticalgibberish.jpg
126KB, 1680x1050px
>>51648172
That depends on your DM, but strictly speaking, no. Casting magic is obvious to anyone who knows what magic is; you are either fiddling with a material component (be it a discrete object or a bunch of nothing from your component pouch), handling an focus (like a religious symbol, crystal, rod), waving your arms around in a weird fashion, and saying magical gobbledegak. You can disguise maybe one or two of these with distance, positioning, sleight of hand, etc., but you're not going to do all three when you're standing three feet in front of a guy.
>>
>be in mines
>turns out mine is haunted by enough incorporeal undead to count as a grade 12 dungeon
>barely escape with life
>get fined for being in a level 12 dungeon without level 12 dungeon insurance
>guy behind me keeps hitting me in the back of the head with eldritch blasts and calling me a cuck
>judge doesn't disintegrate him because "you're a level 8 miner with ghostdelver class feature, you look like you have a constitution of 14, you'll be fine after a short rest, suck it up buttercup"
>can't pay fine
>get dropped into the vampire pits to be made into a mob so that I can repay my debt to society
>>
>>51648172
I guess that depends on the DM, I assume you can be sneaky about the way you cast but it would most likely require some sort of performance or deception roll to mask the incantation in the phrase "penny for your thoughts", sneakily touch your focus and do the appropriate gesturing without it being obvious that magic is happening
>>
>>51648216
>DASH-ing is slower than both sprinting and jogging
Uh,
>>
>>51648219
>>51648236
How are the incantations and gestures determined though? It just necessarily has to be sketchy and irregular? I'll be playing a bard for the record.
>>
>>51648298
Well, as a Bard, you are probably playing an instrument because it serves as your spellcasting focus and your somatic gestures can be performed by the holding hand(s).
>>
File: soon-sang-hong-1.jpg (203KB, 1370x2049px) Image search: [Google]
soon-sang-hong-1.jpg
203KB, 1370x2049px
WTF ranger
>>
>>51648095
Look at it this way. No matter what happens, they're going to be following some kind of trail to the giants. Maybe they ask around and see which direction they went, maybe they find their footprints or some blood. It's technically impossible to have a "Completely Non-Linear" tracking segment because you're always going to be following a trail.

Give them options- And then link those options to other things that allow them to track them down.
>>
>>51648172
Honestly, by any actual reading of the rules, no. You can't just say anything to cast a verbal component spell, you need to "chant mystic words" and produce a "particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance"

And spellcasting gestures are "forceful gesticulation or intricate set of gestures"

Both quotes from the PHB. The components exist for a reason, they're there as a game balance thing to make wizards a little less bullshit in social situations like that.
>>
>>51648298
>I walk up to him and look him right in the eye, holding a copper coin and cast the spell, motioning and speaking right at him as if addressing. Almost immediately, I play it off as having asked him in [obscure language] as it's a common saying where I'm from, and ask "Penny for your thoughts?"
Then I'd have you roll Deception vs Insight and/or Arcana. You've gotta have the setup to make the con work, though.
>>
>>51648351
Use the Ranger revised 2 UA; there's a reason it's AL legal.
>>
>>51648298
It's really up to your DM but it's not too crazy that you could appear to be absent-mindedly strummimg your lute and singing verses of a song in the middle of conversation, I know quite a few musicians and they tend to do that now and then
>>
>>51648224
This is honestly how D&D should be played. The mechanics are an abomination.
>>
>>51648385
Alright. I'll probably still try it, maybe try what >>51648421 said. Adjust in the future if specific parts cause problems.

The thing I'm confused about is why they specify "mystic words" then go on to say "The words themselves aren't the source of the spell's power; rather the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion."
>>
>>51648224
You're wasting an hour short resting, and that's time you could have spent making money in an appropriately-leveled dungeon. Not to mention that since you lack a short rest healing feature like Second Wind, you'll need to expend HD to get that health back.

The judge should fine that Warlock, plus battery, which should cover your fine for traipsing into an inappropriate dungeon. Contact the DCLU for representation.
>>
>>51648338
So how are bards supposed to cast anything with material components if you're playing anything that requires two hands?
>>
File: 1456645495796.jpg (209KB, 1012x750px) Image search: [Google]
1456645495796.jpg
209KB, 1012x750px
Tell me about your dry spell, 5eg.

Mine's approaching one year and I want to feel better by pitying those less fortunate than me.
>>
>>51648447
Wait, where does it say it's legal? I'd love to take one.
>>
>>51648116
>'Rocks fall, you die unless you succeed save'ing on your players, ever
>>
>>51648637
Your spellcasting focus is the material component. As for components with costs, you just whip that out before/during your mandolin solo and it magically vaporizes as you shred away.
>>
>>51648637
The music instrument is the spell focus.

>>51648664
I'm not sure it is yet, but the ranger revised pdf did mention they would make it so at some point if it was rated highly enough.
>>
>>51648041
I never saw this mentioned on here when it was released.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf

Anyone have an opinion on the relative balance of the races? Vampire seems a little boring unless you're constantly using the blood drain... which admittedly sounds a bit like saying "half-Fire elemental is a bit boring unless you're setting things on fire". Doesn't scale with level, either.

Also, I'm hoping there's a scan or a pdf of the art book they're mentioning, but I'm not finding it. I bet a Zendikar campaign would appeal to the chronic MtG addicts I know, but I don't personally know anything about the setting.
>>
File: IMG_0335.jpg (74KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.jpg
74KB, 411x412px
>>51648658
I just had sex a couple weeks ago actually, it wasn't very good though

mfw it autocorrected sex to dex
>>
>>51648658
I could literally be in a Pathfinder game every day of the week if I wanted to but absolutely no one I know wants to play 5e, so I've never played and have just followed the threads on and off since Next testing.
>>
>>51648658
I've had exactly one game not fall apart at session 0 over dumb interpersonal bullshit and it was nearly all the way back at release.

The last game I'd played before that was a campaign of 3.5 in 2012.
>>
File: IMG_0414.png (555KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0414.png
555KB, 540x539px
>fighting anything
>I attack his balls with my warhammer

>you see a large wooden chest with gold lining and a circle of light shines down on it from an ornate light fixture
>it's a trap, let's move on, I inspect all the walls in the room
>you detect a current of warm, humid tank smelling air flowing out from a slight crack in the wall
>I look for a switch or some other device
>you reach your fingers into the crack and feel many sharp blades
>I try to open it, carefully so that I don't cut myself
>the door lunges at you and bites into both of your arms
>told initiative
>>
>>51648721
>I could literally fuck a crack addict for $10 every day of the week if I wanted to but absolutely no one I know with standards or physical beauty wants to screw me
this isn't a diss on you, anon, but a comparison of PF with crack whores
>>
>>51648745
>fighting anything
>I attack its skull with my warhammer
>>
>>51648240
Dashing lets you make sharp turns and even reverse course on a dime with no loss of movement. It is clearly not running, jogging, or sprinting.
>>
>>51648714
Girlfriend and I waiting to get married before doing the deed. Don't really mind the dry spell.
>>
>>51648447
It is not AL legal. Get your damn eyes checked.
>>
So how do you roleplay a ranger?

I've never played a class with an inbuilt connection before (ranger, cleric, warlock).
>>
>>51648714
>mfw it autocorrected sex to dex
top sides m8
>>
>>51648240
>>51648877
Don't forget you can do all of this in combat while avoiding enemies and doing whatever other actions you have while also in whatever armour you're wearing without getting tired, etc etc

Rogues don't get a 50% speed boost the moment they get cunning action. They get a 50% speed boost in combat, but not sprinting.
>>
>>51648658
I am in a Play by Post right now and got laid in late August.
>>
>>51649061
Why would anyone Play by Post D&D instead of using just about literally any other system
>>
>>51648898
DEUS VULT
>>
File: 1456470468213.jpg (65KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1456470468213.jpg
65KB, 736x1040px
>>51648041
Why don't martial characters get a resource mechanic like spellcasters do? Sure, monks have Ki, but that's more like the Sorcerer's Sorcery Pool rather than Spell Slots. Casters gain access to more, and better, spells every time they level up. Their options in and out of combat expand continuously, and those options quickly start to go above and beyond what martial characters can accomplish. Martial characters get useful, solid abilities for offence and defence, I'm not denying that at all. But outside of being a Battlemaster or picking up spellcasting, your tactical options are very limited. Options like grappling and disarming exist, but they don't really get any better as you level up, they don't expand in scope or achieve more useful results.

I quite like 5E but I can't stand to play it for more than three sessions. It's frustrating to play, say, a Fighter and not being able to do much other than attack or ask the GM to improvise an ability check. The Battlemaster is good in that it codifies martial maneuvers, but there aren't many and spellcasters still have you beat in versatility by a million miles. Outside of combat magic is so useful as a problem-solving tool that skills just can't keep up. Martial characters need options and resources on the same level as spells, maybe not as powerful or as plentiful, but certainly as useful for solving problems and granting new tactical options in battle.
>>
>>51649099
Are her arms different lengths?
>>
>>51649099
Can you give a few examples of martial abilities that would useful for solving problems?
>>
>>51649076
My reason were
>bad connection
>sure to get bored rolling dices for more than 20 minutes.
>couldn't something appealing on Roll20
not saying I made the right choice notice.
>>
>>51649099

The better question is why is the character in your pic-related clearly wearing heels when she obviously intends on going into a combat situation?
>>
>>51649076
If it's forum posts, I kind of like the idea, because there's no real delay between sessions providing you can get people to post.
You don't have to worry about organising play times and all that.

One of D&D's biggest issues is getting people together consistently over and over.

.. Still not saying it's great.
>>
>>51649159
Maybe she just got off a horse.
>>
>>51649099
Monks are actually exactly what you're describing. Full of out of combat utility powers.

Unfortunately, DnD simultaneously wants to have high power casters but not anime swordsmen, so for pure martials it's largely intractable.
>>
>>51648688
>do dumb shit
>get the hammer dropped
>waaah
>>51649099
Because it makes the 3e grogs angry.
>>
File: 1435961182478.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1435961182478.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51649099
Scroll to the Martial Options page
>>
>>51649208
>Do dumb shit
>Okay I'm taking all control over your character away and killing them instantly, it's not like D&D is supposed to be interactive and develop situations but instead just shut everything down with 'you die'
>>
>>51649179
Play by post can be a lot of fun if you find the right sorts of people for it. But you kinda need to pick your system carefully. D&D is a terrible pick for play by post because of the huge prevalence of combat and the slowness of it. A single fight could take weeks if people partaking in it can't login every day, you might have to wait days between turns.

There are some actual systems that have been designed with play by post in mind, and in those, combat and other conflicts are almost always resolved by a single die roll not to bog things down.
>>
>>51648041
>4e was here, our dwarves are thiccer than yours AND look less pissed off
>>
>>51649234
Some people don't understand the difference between "doing what my character would do, within the confines of reasonable meta assumptions, such as party coherence" and "doing what is smart and optimal from a purely meta perspective"
>>
How often do you play marital classes?
>>
>>51649300
Never. Bachelors forever.
>>
File: 1473745925507.jpg (103KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1473745925507.jpg
103KB, 700x700px
>>51648041
im trying to think of a way to use 5e rules for a dungeon crawl, but where the DM is playing to kill the players. like every encounter he gets X amount of XP and every like 5 encounters the players get a long rest or something, in an attempt to make the game like a strategical dungeon crawl for the players (with no RP) and a strategical dungeon defense for the DM.
anyone know of something like this?
>>
>>51649313
Isn't that just Dungeon World or whatever?
>>
>>51649234
>in a lawful abiding court
>judge has already proven to be a capable spellcaster
>attack with intent to kill someone in his court
>attacked by legal authority with the same intent
Disintegrate doesn't take control of your character away from you, anon.
It just kills you unless you save.
>>51649313
Are you... serious?
>>
>>51649328
>>51649327
i mean i want the DM to be able to go full out trying to kill our characters, is that how dungeon world does it?
>>
File: 1424018681523.jpg (230KB, 487x540px) Image search: [Google]
1424018681523.jpg
230KB, 487x540px
>>51649269
Have you got any examples. You're not coming across as a very appealing GM so far.

I let my players do literally anything they can come up with just with impossible modifiers. They get the satisfaction of rolling and their descriptive roleplaying is rewarded (even if it is with a fake reward) which encourages the others and raises the mood of the table.

Surely if they were in court they were disarmed and the cops could just easily restrain any manhandling behaviour with batons.

That said I'm a very improvisational GM so each their own.
>>
Yo, Meganon, if you're here, can we get the Planeshift Races and Inquisitor background added to 5etools? They are a WotC digital product, after all.
>>
>>51648898
Good man.
>>
File: 1327979790268.jpg (46KB, 233x350px) Image search: [Google]
1327979790268.jpg
46KB, 233x350px
>>51648714
Truly one of us.
>>
>>51649434
>the cops could just easily restrain any manhandling behaviour with batons
This is assuming the cops would respond to lethal force with lesser force.
Why?
Even then, a warlock doesn't need weapons in order to use eldritch blast by rote.
I see no reason to bend a situation that the players make for themselves to something easier because character death is a possibility. Maybe the player should not have done something so massively stupid and forgotten they are not the biggest cock on the walk?
>>
>>51649031
Personally? I play him like a farmboy that played a few too many times running about the woods and watching owls that gave him fantastical and unrealistic expectations of Elves.

For the first couple of levels, he was pretending to be an elf, to NPCs and the party (with the DM's permission), but once they ran across actual elves, the guise fell apart.

I played most of his ranger-ness off as common sense things he'd picked up from being in the forest a lot, and tracking deer and the like; little signs that would be overlooked by somebody less practiced, like a broken branch with slightly yellowing leaves implying something relatively heavy came through here probably a day or so, stuff like that.
>>
>>51649328
>It doesn't take away control of your character
>It just gives you a % chance that you will never see your character again without true ressurection or something

It isn't entirely clear the guy would pull a fucking disintegration beam out of nowhere rather than what has already been proven to be a much better case - 'hold person'. Hold person would temporarily take power away, but leaves the player with the option of trying to escape the several people grappling them after they eventually save and once they get thrown in jail they still have options, and it all makes more sense since the point of court is to trial people without sending them to instant unmoderated death.

It's very unlikely they'd escape jail or escape being detained, but the options are still there and the character isn't gone for good, even if the player won't see that character for a long time. Either way, a 'roll this save or you die and if you save he'll just launch more attacks to kill you anyway' is a lot less fun for everyone.
>>
Hey I reformatted that homebrew Oath I made. I'd appreciate feedback, if you have the time!
>>
>>51649506
well I'll answer that at face value just because but that same warlock or certainly many other spellcasters could have similar spells to corrupt or influence minds that courts in magic realms would be protected against.

Whatever works for you bro. If your players keep coming back then you must be doing fine.
>>
Why the hell aren't these courts equipped with antimagic fields?

Has no one ever tried to kill anyone else in a courtroom in this setting? Are these adventurers the first time the court has ever tried magical people, and if so, why aren't they more tightly restrained?
>>
>>51649036
>>51649480
>tfw I'm also the DM
>get to fuck my players every week with devious traps and fuckhuge monsters
>>
>>51649665
Don't forget that DnD is meant to be a power fantasy for the DM not those idiot players who keep showing up and going off track!
>>
>>51649099
I think that's a bit more to do with how much the system was simplified from 3.path to 5e. 3.path had a metric fuck ton of different fight moves you could do, trips, bulrushes, grabs, ect,ect. They were just confusing in 3rd and sucked ass if you didn't feat build for them in path. And in both most of the time you were just better off getting your big fighter damage anyway. That's one of the 'down sides' of trying to streamline a system. I would love if 5e had a CMB/CMD thing like path, but it kinda goes against how extremely fast and loose wizards wants 5e to be.
>>
>>51648041
>Player REALLY wants to make a custom class
>I REALLY don't want to allow a custom class

I can't find any guides on how to make custom content so how do I let him down nicely? Or are there resources for making custom classes that won't be imbalanced as fuck?
>>
>>51650188
What I did when my player tried it with me is I went the "I'm still trying to get my bearing with the game and balance, and I'm not sure what is or isn't massively OP"
>>
>>51650188
No, tell him to deal with it
>>
>>51649434
>cops
This Perry Mason at renfaire conjecture is incredibly silly. There are no cops, the city watch is about 100 guys who only deal with the most flagrant shit and even then not that much.

There's a reason there had to be laws against stabbing profs over exam questions at Oxford. People are going to show up at the courtroom either armed or in chains.
>>
>>51650188
tell him no and offer maybe to change a few features in an existing class/subclass that fits what he wants to play more. he either wants to munchkin with an OP class or what he wants to play is only slightly or superficially different than something wizards has currently published.
>>
>>51649099
Cunning actions, rages, superiority die, ki, spell slots for the partial casters.
>>
>>51648116
Reminds me of one of my sessions

>Joke with players that this building in the city has a Magic-Free Zone sign out front
>Sorcerer: "See if that stops me!"
>Walks into central lobby packed with citizens
>Casts Chromatic Orb at a vase to prove who is boss around here
>Crowd panics, people trampling over each other trying to escape, alarms blaring, mass chaos
>City Guards confront with crossbows
>GET ON THE GROUND FUCKER
>Sorcerer claims he dindu nuffin
>Gets shot in the arm, guards tackle to subdue and restrain
>Other 2 players don't want to murder a couple guards, they stay out of it
>Sorcerer gets arrested for Casting without a License, Endangering the Public, and Vandalism
>Has expedited court hearing that afternoon with the magistrate
>Players in the audience
>"Son, do you understand why you've been arrested?"
>Sorcerer: "Not really your Honor, all I did was cast this-"
>Guards freak out when he raises his hands
>MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC!
>Gets shot again, dogpiled, gagged and restrained
>Currently in prison for attempted murder on a judge

I figure next session the other players will try to bail him out, play lawyers, or break him out of prison. I never expected this to happen, but I'm having fun and the other players are. Sorcerer says I'm an asshole, I overruled his opinion.
>>
>>51650300
In my experience, the players that want to play a custom class do so because they want to tinker with the system, any perceived flaw or gap is just an excuse to do so
>>
>>51650336
>city doesn't allow casting
>casts
>gets mad when he's punished

Your overrule is justified
>>
>>51650336
You ARE an asshole if you didn't make it clear to the players out of character* that magic doesn't fly in this location / setting. Otherwise, carry on.

* Many, many, many DMs fail to realize that players will gleefully interprate any and every in-character warning as a sign that thing is exactly what you want them to do
>>
>>51650336
>Sorcerer: "Not really your Honor, all I did was cast this-"
>Guards freak out when he raises his hands

This is the part where your story transitioned from implausible into "shit that never happened". There's no version of that actually playing out around a table that works as a rational series of events involving people.
>>
>>51650403
>Many, many, many DMs fail to realize
I think by that point it's about players not realizing.
>>
>>51650336
>tfw DMs run their medieval cities like the city guard is telepathic gestapo
>>
>>51650336
See, THIS is how you do it. No disintegrate bullshit.
>>
>>51650403
>* Many, many, many DMs fail to realize that players will gleefully interprate any and every in-character warning as a sign that thing is exactly what you want them to do

That's why you break your players of this habit.
>>
File: 1468843145362.gif (957KB, 340x275px) Image search: [Google]
1468843145362.gif
957KB, 340x275px
>>51648041
Is innate telepathy as a racial feature too much? Or is it the kind of thing reserved for class features/spells?
>>
>>51650253
>>51650259
Thanks. Yeah I have experience with other games, but totally new to 5e so I really wouldn't be able to gauge whether it's OP or total shit. I think I will have to tell him that I just want a straightforward game and if he wants his dream character he'll have to do it in another game.

>>51650300
That really helps. It seems like a decent compromise to make a couple minor changes if it would make him happy. He doesn't want to munchkin and just wants a more even blend between magic and martial and none are really an even split that he's happy with. I'm comfortable with tweaking, but trying to invent a new class wholesale is a bit much.
>>
>>51650433
It's really not. The problem is, a lot of the time DMs they're being subtle, when in reality they're sending mixed messages. This is when you get stuff like people giving the advice that, in order to tell players that a monster is too strong for them, they should describe all the danger and dead adventurers and so on so forth. But players get told that stuff to some degree about EVERY monster they encounter, because a large chunk of the game is making something sound scary so the players feel accomplished when they kill it.

A simple out of character warning, insures everyone gets the message, and costs nothing. And it can just as easily accompany all that flavor text, if you're really into that stuff.
>>
>>51650492
It's fine, if it balances out with other things.

It's a level 1 warlock thing anyway.
>>
>>51650496
that's odd. between paladin, cleric, bladesinger, bladelock, eldrich knight, ranger, and stone sorcerer, he can't find something that's a good blend of magic and martial? have you suggested multiclassing to him?
>>
>>51650575
Yeah, I don't know what exactly he's looking for so he's thinking about multiclassing now. I think he more wants to make a class for fun, but I wanted /tg/'s advice in case he's really serious about it.
>>
>>51650496
Paladin6/sorcererX
Paladin
Eldritch Knight
Arcane Trickster
Fighter1/Pact of the Blade WarlockX
Bladelock5/RogueX
Stone Sorcerer
Valor Bard

Those are most of the possibilities off of the top of my head I'd recommend. Of course bladelock for example isn't the best thing ever but it's not unservicable with a level of fighter.
>>
>>51650496
What's wrong with the extant ones?

Have you considered some of the less bullshit UA archetypes?
>>
>>51650403
>Not!Chicago is known for extreme magic laws
>Sign that says Magic-Free Zone
>Didn't make it clear to players that using magic would mean some sort of consequence
k

>>51650406
You're right, full version would've taken up precious lines on 4chan that could be simplified but I'll cater to your autism and "no fun allowed" approach
>Sorcerer Player: "Not really your Honor, I did not attack anybody nor at any area where people were close by. All I did was cast *this*" and I cast Chromatic Orb on the desk in front of me.
>Me DM: Okay, I won't make you roll for attack, but you do want to hit the desk?
>"Yep"
>Okay, as you begin speaking the incantation and raise your shackled hands, the judge screams OH SHIT and dives to the floor, people begin screaming, and before you can finish the spell, you feel a sudden jolt and searing pain in your other arm as the guards surround you screaming with their crossbows pointed at you. You take 3 piercing damage, now roll a Strength check at disadvantage to see if you can overpower the three guards dogpiling to restrain you.
>Sorcerer Player: MAN WHAT THE FUCK I WAS JUST DEMONSTRATING THE SPELL WASN'T THAT DANGEROUS
>Other players laughing their asses off
>Me: Is it not frowned upon to bring a gun to court?

Sorcerer was more pissed that I didn't give him a chance to fight back. If he explicitly said he wanted to cast another spell at the guards, I would've let him (other players wouldn't have been happy though). Maybe I didn't do it the mechanically-correct way, but it was fun. Sorcerer ended up laughing about it too in the end.
>>
>>51650538
There's nothing subtle about a sign literally saying "Magic-free zone" dude.

You're saying that the problem is in the message, when in itself it has barely any subtext and is as straightforward as it can be without actually saying "casting magic will get you in jail". It is obviously possible to misinterpret it, but doing so is clearly the player's fault.

This whole situation that you're talking about (players assuming warnings are just world building) comes entirely from the underlying variables in communication that a gaming group creates, since it escapes what is built with explicit text. It is possible that a DM constantly gives mixed messages because he's simply accustomed to telling a story that way, or god forbid, actually speaking that way normally, so people around him are forced to look underneath of everything he says. It's also possible that the players come from a background of, I don't know, being familiar with tropes and cliches and assuming the DM is talking in that same code, for instance. This would lead them to misconstruing what the DM says too.

Either way, I try not to understand problems as being the fault of a single issue, because I was taught not to do so in a professional environment. And indeed, this is not a case of just the DM being a fuckwit or just the players being players. But if one guy doesn't have the minimal hindsight of simply asking the DM (or an NPC) "what's that sign about", I believe he deserves whatever he's got coming.
>>
what would you call a head paladin of a guild or group?

im not sure if there is a title like archmage or high priest.
>>
>>51650830
Grand master comes to mind. Captain general is another option.
>>
>>51650785
You can prepare an action to shoot at somebody and potentially stop casting, however usually the caster has to be casting a concentration spell OR ready an action to cast a spell which thus means they concentrate on the spell.

However, I think it's logical enough that you're effectively sort-of-concentrating on a spell while casting it, which takes a couple or a few seconds, which means guards having readied actions to shoot at the guy could throw their spellcasting off.

So I wouldn't say it's wrong.
>>
>>51650894
>>51650785
Oh, also, I'd say it's good that you're showing people reacting quite heavily to it. It shows the player that while magic is feared, that also means it's respected in a way - even the judge isn't some sort of superhero and has to take cover when he sees magic being cast.

So while you're deliberating the player, you're also giving them a sense of power.

Unlike 'Oh, but everybody else is a better spellcaster than you and will just vaporize you' sorts of approaches.

Though you should probably make sure people know as per the setting that most people are deathly afraid of magic before they even see signs saying 'magic free area'.
>>
>>51650830
Marshall seems like a solid choice.
>>
Hey if a monk is in a town where magic is illegal, I does that include and kicking based attack? What about the sun monk's sun balls?
>>
>>51650830
According to 'order of chivalry' on wikipedia, probably a commander.

Depends on order size.
>>
If I had to choose between Confusion or Hypnotic Pattern, which should I forget?
>>
>>51650919
>Though you should probably make sure people know as per the setting that most people are deathly afraid of magic before they even see signs saying 'magic free area'.

True, I alluded to that but didn't specifically say it. The players were entering a new town in a new country they weren't familiar with, but they had heard rumor that magic was outlawed here. Security was pretty heavy throughout the city and there were no magic weapons or spell components anywhere in the merchant quarter. I threw in the "Magic-Free Zone" sign as a joke while describing a merchant guild office they were passing by. I think the Sorcerer originally cast the spell as a joke and a "nah fuck you" to me. It just spiraled into a way bigger encounter than I or they anticipated. I'm excited to continue the campaign with them to see what they do next, unfortunately it's been over a month because of school and work.
>>
>>51650943
As the DM, you answer it yourself.

Do they know what a monk is? If they do, they might outlaw use of ki to enhance performance, or they might not.
Sun balls are inevitably going to be seen as 'magic' unless there is some very strict ruling you can say to the judge 'but it's using my inner body strength!'

Ki is sort of magical anyway.
>>
>>51650948
I'd say forget confusion, more flexible this way.
>>
File: antimage_vert.jpg (22KB, 235x272px) Image search: [Google]
antimage_vert.jpg
22KB, 235x272px
>>51651017
>ki is sort of magical anyway

At least when I ran a setting where a dude wanted to be a wrestler monk, can just fluff that ki shit as purity of will
>>
>>51651081
>Wrestler monk
You mean barbarogue?
>>
>>51650830
Commander, Archpaladin, Marshall
>>
>>51651081
What would you even call the weapons am carries around. No way they could be considered monk weapons, they're fucking huge in terms of real world blades.
>>
File: 1481578442651.jpg (461KB, 577x866px) Image search: [Google]
1481578442651.jpg
461KB, 577x866px
>>51650817
>It's also possible that the players come from a background of, I don't know, being familiar with tropes and cliches and assuming the DM is talking in that same code, for instance.
I had this exact issue come up.
I had a brutal dungeoncrawl set up for my players, and multiple times, from multiple npcs in a position to know, they were told that this bandit nest was rife with deadly threats, that others sent rarely if ever came back, and never whole, if in body, than not in mind, that this was not a trifling matter.
Out of the 6 pcs who went in, 1 came out. A player was complaining about how hard it was, and I asked them why they didn't go in prepared, with more tools, every single npc who knew about the place told them straight up it is a death trap. OOC, I told them straight up I was putting them in the grinder.
His response? "But DMs lie!"
No, Ben, I don't need to fucking lie, the truth is so much more fun and awful.
Then he quit my campaign, and I don't miss him.
>>
>>51649300
I'd love to play one. DnD is fantasy after all
;.;
>>
>>51650188
Never let anyone make a new class.

Subclass is all they'll ever need and its a whole lot easier to parse.
>>
>>51648041
Is ranged fighter viable?
>>
>>51651406
Yes
>>
>>51651406
If you like Hand Crossbows, very
>>
Is there no other weapon for the Swashbuckler but the Rapier?
>>
Is this guy being autistic or does he have good points?

I compared the 5e Revised Ranger to the PF Ranger. Perhaps Hunter would have been closer as 5e ranger has more magic.

5e
Ch: Race+Subrace (No real difference from more races)
Ch: Class
Ch: 3 Skills
Ch: Background
Ch: Favored Enemy
Ch: Greater Favored Enemy
Natural Explorer
Ch: Fighting Style: of 4
Ch: Conclave (from 5) (Lets choose beast for the example)
Ch: 5 Spells Known
Ch: 7 Spells Per Day
Ch: 2x Feats OR ASIs
Primeval Awareness
Fleet of Foot
Conclave: Animal Companion
Conclave: Coordinated Attack
Conclave: Beast's Defense

Total Choices: 3 skills, Race/Subrace, Class, Background 2x FE, Combat Style, 1x Archetype, 5 Spells Known, 7 Spells Per Day, 2 Feat or ASI, Animal Companion, 1 Bonus Language

Ability Count: 5 Skills, Basic Combat, Natural Explorer, Beast Companion, 5 Spells Known / 7 Spells per Day, Detect FE, Talk to Beasts, Travel Unhindered w Party, Fleet of Foot, Improved Tracking

PF
Ch: Race
Ch: Class
0-~4 Archetypes (From 36)
Ch: 6-8 Skills at Full, or 12-16 at Half, or any combination in between.
Ch: 2x Traits
Ch: 2x Favored Enemy (one of which scales up)
Track
Wild Empathy
Ch: Combat Style: (of 7) (Scaling)
Endurance
Ch: 2x Favored Terrain (one of which scales up)
Ch: Hunter's Bond (Share FE w Allies, OR Animal Companion)
Woodland Stride
Swift Tracker
2 Spells Per day, changeable each day.
4 Feats, 2 ASIs.

Every class feature has archetypes that you can take which will alter or replace it, meaning every class feature can be replaced, even if they can't all be replaced 1 by 1.

Total Choices: 6-16 Skills between Full & Half Progression, 2 Traits, 2x FE, Combat Style, X Spells Per Day (Full List), 4 Feats, 2 ASIs, 2x Favored Terrain, Beast Companion, 0-4ish Archetypes Which act as a sort of multiplier to choice count.

Ability Count: 6-16 Skills, Basic Combat, Charm Animals, Improved Tracking, Travel Unhindered (Alone), Beast Companion, 2 Spells per Day (Exchangeable)
>>
>>51651533
Two shortswords.
>SWASHBUCKLERS AND TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING
>The Swashbuckler relies on a good understanding of the D&D rules to realize its potential, specifically when it comes to fighting with two weapons. Other characters must use an action to Disengage if they want to escape a melee, but the Fancy Footwork feature of the Swashbuckler bundles a more limited version of Disengage with in your attack. This allows you to use your bonus action to fight with two weapons, and then safely evade each foe you attacked.
>>
>>51651625
He says this is proof PF allows more choice and that 5e classes are rigid and restrictive in scope and what they allow.
>>
>>51651654
>PF allows more choice

technically true, but when most of your "choices" and abilities are garbage, does the technicality really matter?
>>
>>51651626
Problem with two-weapon-fighting is it uses a bonus action which means you can't use a bonus action to dash after an attack to get out of an enemy's move-then-melee range.
Sure, you get to disengage from two different targets, but you don't get to move far enough to benefit from it.

>>51651533
Two-weapon-fighting is still better unless
A) you multiclassed
B) you have BB/
C) You can reliably hit enemies anyway
>>
Are you unquestionably a bad DM if you make your players start the campaign at first level?
>>
>>51651785
That depends on whether or not there are other frontliners or stage hazards. But all things being equal? Yeah, twf using your bonus action kinda cripples it.
>>
>>51651717
Yes, because these people will continue to harp on about how PF still offers the breadth of choice and still argue that 5e is overly restrictive and rigid in the way how all of its classes are designed.
>>
>>51651878
Not if you let them know before chargen.

It's one thing to start a character who's meant to be a grizzled veteran warrior/accomplished mage/sneaky ninja/holy warrior blessed by the gods starting at level 7 or so and another to make up a backstory for a hardass motherfucker who's got a bit of local recognition... but they're level 1 and can get punked by a single goblin.
>>
>>51651878
1st

People are missing out part of the game if they start high level, especially if it's your first time.

2nd

Way more satisfying to be 10th level if you work your way up.

So I guess if its some peoples first time it's better to start at the first level, otherwise we could start a few levels up.
>>
>>51651960
I know plenty of local hardasses that would get punked by a theoretical goblin
>>
>>51651654
A: More choices =! better. Especially when your choices are more often trap options.
B: Restricting things =! bad. A class based system that admits it's a class based system is better than one that tries to have the distinctiveness of classes and the flexibility of point buy by using skill systems and feats. Additionally, not everyone frequents char-ops or wants to, so a simple class can be of great benefit to these people.
>>
>>51651878
Hell no, 1st level is great and I've grown so weary of games starting high that it's become a welcome retreat as a player and a dm.

It's the most lethal level, resource management is clean, and a lot of spells shine particularly brightly in the limits of the tier that are worthless later. It's great. You're a bad DM if you DON'T let your players see level 1 at least on occasion.
>>
>>51651878
All but one of the games I've been a player in, I started at level 1. Never really had a problem with it unless the DM deliberately made it a problem (ie throwing a CR3 encounter at three 1st level players who aren't even at full power).

As a DM I believe in starting the campaigns at 1st level, but I believe campaigns should be about heroes' journeys to greatness.
>>
>>51652044
Please see >>51651941
>>
>>51649212
That's awesome, thank you.
>>
>>51651625
And what exactly is the point of this autism?
>>
>>51652044
>=!
Triggered
>>
>>51652227
Proving that PF offers so much choice and that 5e's class design pigeonholes you into a narrowly-defined path.
>>
>wanna play
>cant get into any games,
>can't even DM at my local LGS because timeslots
>spend a good $400 on books, mat, etc before hand
>no minis though
>might be able to do it Sat an hour away at a different store

Kind of irritated
>>
>>51652308
>PF offers so much choice
>90% of the choices offered are traps or don't even work as intended
yes, so many choices
>>
Those familiar with LMoP

In tresrndar manor, there is a small ravine that has a necromantic aura that keeps meat fresh

How might this develop or what is the source? My players decided to keep it.
>>
Sun Soul can fire a sunbolt using its extra attack right?
>>
>>51652310
>Needing rulebooks
>Not remembering everything by heart and being the rulebook
>>
>>51652308
That's such a black and white way of looking at things. Less choice doesn't automatically mean pigeonholing. And more choice doesn't automatically mean fun. If it did, doing your taxes would be more exciting than getting a blowjob.

A more important question: what does he win if he's even right?
>>
>>51651301
They're glaives, pretty sure they were popularized by illidan in warcraft 3.
>>
Making a Lore Bard. Magic Initiate SOR/WLK for an offensive cantrip, y/n?
>>
>>51652478
What's wrong with vicious mockery?

>low damage
You give disadvantage on every hit.
>>
>>51652366
>>51652403
Well, I also asked him how the PF ranger archetypes played out in an actual game and he said most of them were just okay. Which is disappointing.

He wanted to prove a point through numbers alone, which is autistic in itself, but is willing to give 5e another shot. I'd convinced him that much.
I said wadding through shit to find the polished gems is a laborious task in itself but he was fine with that, and wanted more of the same.
>>
man I really hate making maps

world maps, town maps, dungeon maps

all of it
>>
>>51652478
Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are melee cantrips. You shouldn't be in melee unless you want to get yourself killed. Just use a crossbow or something until the later levels when you have spells you can use all the time.
>>
>>51652531
To be fair, outside of UA, BM is "just okay" while Hunter is good so it's not that much of an improvement (it's kind of the worst class to judge from, though; the 3.0 Ranger (and Bard) was complete garbage)
>>
>>51652564
I was thinking more of a ranged simple one like Firebolt/EB since itll do more damage than an xbow at higher levels and it means I can be SAD.
>>
>>51652505
Only one disadvantage. But dead thing can't attack.
>>
File: Why am I in this party anyway.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Why am I in this party anyway.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>51652626
>Doing it for firebolt/EB
>>
>>51652593
Yeah, he made the comparison using the UA ranger; which made the ranger actually decent.
5e made the bard to be one of the strongest classes there is, didn't it?
>>
>>51652478
Not really. Between Vicious mockery and a longbow you are set. Even with 14 dex a longbow breaks even wih EB and you're likely to habe 16 Dex.

Choose what 1 level spell you want rather.
>>
>>51652658
Well and to take a non-bard spell obviously.

If I just wanted a single cantrip id steal spell sniper since it could be handy on a bard.
>>
>>51652626
Get a fucking crossbow and raise your dex so you won't die the instant something looks at you funny instead of being a chucklefuck with firebolt.
>>
>>51652417
A proper glaive is a polearm, a fantasy glaive is... whatever the hell those double-bladed sword things are.
>>
>>51652668
Ileant shortbow
>>
>>51650538
>in the Underdark
>encounter Demogorgon
>DMs introduction leaves me with the impression that our 3rd level party could handle it with some luck
>look up the stats later
>WEW
>>
>>51652680
A single non-bard spell isn't really going to help a lot because you already have a diverse range of casting and you can't even use the spell you steal with bard spell slots.
I guess 'shield' once a day isn't absolutely terrible, but...

You're better off taking two levels of warlock, grabbing agonizing blast + repelling blast and then putting all the rest of your levels in bard. That's 2 levels of delay, but it gives you a solid cantrip to use forevermore and some warlock spells if you ever wanted armor of agathys I guess.
>>
File: gaston.jpg (146KB, 1119x626px) Image search: [Google]
gaston.jpg
146KB, 1119x626px
Tomorrow I'm getting together with some friends and we roughly have about 6 hours for me to DM a 5E scenario for them. Now, most of these folks come from AD&D and are used to dangerous dungeon crawling, so I was thinking of running Curse of Strahd's Death House for them.
Anything in advance I should be aware of? What should I expect?
>>
>>51650830
FĂĽhrer
>>
How difficult would it be to run a modern fantasy game with 5ed?
>>
>>51652715
Son, that's the Prince of Demons
>>
>>51652697
You have Guan Yu to thank for that nonsense.
>>
>>51652727
>2 level dip
Completely different thing

>once per day
That's pretty RAW, find familiar/mage armor anyway.
>>
>>51652697
>a fantasy glaive is...
A completely non-viable weeb weapon that would lead to the wielder getting fucked by something as simple as a dagger. It would actually be better to go into battle unarmed.
>>
>>51652790
It was a 23 man party
>>
>>51652739
What level are they going to be? God help them if they're level 1s. Even if they're level 3 the shambling mound in the basement can 1-shot motherfuckers.
>>
>>51652774
Monitoring this post.

Have you checked out Ultramodern5? It's in the trove.
>>
>>51652715
I would suggest not fighting a lesser deity at level 3.
>>
>>51652825

>23 man party

jesus christ dude for real

I had to duck out of an 8 man party because it was a clusterfuck and I felt like nothing I did or said mattered
>>
>>51652825
Not sure if this one is a joke or a reference or just plain insanity.
>>
>>51648130
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51652827
Not that anon, but thanks. My group is "getting bored with fantasy" but new to and enjoying 5e, so this could be just the ticket.
>>
>>51652808
Oh, mage armour isn't so bad, especially if it's following what I remember RAW being that you gain +1 from magical armour on top of the armour.
And find familiar is never awfully bad, I guess, but only wizard will get that if you're going for something warlock/sorcerer.

Even so, +2 charisma still seems the better option overall, but if you really insist on having a different cantrip it's not the worst option in the world.

Disadvantage to one attack isn't bad. Many monsters could deal a lot of damage with that one attack, more than the +3 damage per die you'd gain going from 1d4 to 1d10. If you're 5 players against 2 big monsters, making sure that one monster has problems missing at least one of its attacks isn't bad when you're using your worst attack.

And the two level dip does disrupt class flow a lot but it very strongly acheives the goal of having a strong cantrip without making 'too' big a sacrifice.
>>
>>51652825
If you were level 5s you could've beaten it for sure.

As level 3s, you had a chance but I wouldn't call it too reliable because 23 level 3s is still pretty broken.
>>
>>51652827
I'll give it a look,

I was thinking of running either a modern fantasy game where

A) They're fugitives on the run because they discovered a conspiracy

B) Zombie apocalypse campaign
>>
Is it unfair to have a medium iron golem attack one PC every week and beat him within an inch of his life, only to leave, promising to see him again in a week?
>>
>>51652946

I need context
>>
>>51652946
Uh... context?
>>
How difficult would it be to play a mute character with no telepathy?
>>
>>51652946
What narrative purpose should it serve?
>>
File: 6229882.jpg (307KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
6229882.jpg
307KB, 1200x1400px
>>51652946
>>
>>51652946
I need context too. This is important.
>>
>>51652972
It's really easy. Back in my Star Wars days, I've played a mute jedi who communicated exclusively through facial expressions and violence.
>>
If a Berserker Barbarian rage without using frenzy... Do they still suffer exhaustion?
>>
>>51653016
No
>>
>>51652972
Depends if it's via text or in real life or over voice.

If you're playing online using text, it's doable.
Otherwise, fuck no unless you set the table up so everyone can see you fucking about at all times, and even then you'd break immersion if you talk out of character much at all.
>>
>>51652825
Do you separate into several smaller party, each with it own DM?
>>
File: thankong.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thankong.png
7KB, 112x112px
Considering their breath weapon fucking up the CR calculators, what level would you say a 5 man party should be before trying to engage a Young Green Dragon?

What levels would absolutely kill them? The CR says 5 level 6's should have an alright time with it, but that breath weapon can instantly knock out even the high HP members (besides barbs).
>>
>>51653061
Depends on party composition, how they approach and magical items and all that.

Assuming no magical items, a very mediocre selection, average dumb players and no magical items a bunch of level 6s might well be fine, maybe.

Otherwise, if you improve conditions, maybe level 5s. LEvel 5s aren't too different from level 6s unless single level dips are involved. The real question is jumping from level 5 to level 4 as that's a major difference in power.
>>
File: Neopolitan.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Neopolitan.gif
2MB, 500x281px
How difficult would it be to make a character build around dodging enemies until they get tired and then beating them up easily?
>>
>>51652873
So what i think he meant is, in character no one would say a greatsword is twice as damaging as a shortsword because that's basically breaking the fourth wall. But on the other hand characters are perfectly aware of all the specific mechanics of spellcasting. Or something.
>>
>>51652972
Should be fine.
A PC in my current game isn't mute, but has said maybe two words in character the entire campaign. He also has telepathy... and used it once, that I can remember. Mostly he just skulks around (halfling monk) and nods or shakes his head at people when they address him directly (which isn't often). Being 100% mute wouldn't be much different, although even a piece of chalk for emergencies could come in handy.
>>
>>51652989
>>51652985
>>51652976
>>51652970
>>51652968
So Murder Joe the PC killed a guy and tortured a pregnant woman for fun, dig? Really got into it, even burned the house down with husband inside and made wife watch, after branding wife's chest while the broken, mutilated husband was forced to watch. He was very proud of himself (the character, that is.)

So formerly pregnant woman's grandfather, an eccentric elven archmagus, had an uncharacteristic moment of sentiment, and has decided to ruin this PC's life with his custom build magical murder robot to punish him for his presumption (how dare he torture the bloodkin of the great and powerful wizard and so forth.)
>>
>>51653091
Ahh, I see.

The players entered a tomb, is all. The tomb happens to be guarded by a Young Green Dragon, or so they've heard. It is there, though, and its really aggressive. They also plan on killing it.

Was just trying to project how this may go.
>>
>>51653099
Pretty difficult considering there aren't many mechanics that cause exhaustion, other than DM fiat.
>>
>>51653099
Most enemies don't have expendable resources.

Dodging isn't a bad tactic if you want to distract enemies while allies beat them up.

An alternative to dodging is playing something such as a monk or rogue and using either mobility or swashbuckler to auto-disengage and then run really far from the enemies.

Or just being a ranged fighter or pushback warlock and ensure enemies never even get close.

It's very hard to 'tire enemies out', however.
>>
>>51653099
Given bounded accuracy and no fatigue mechanics, pretty hard.
>>
>>51653130
>The people you tortured just so happened to be related to some overpowered wizard!
No. Too cliché.
Just have a paladin order come along and smack his ass up like any sensible person.

>>51653131
If they're at least level 5 I would hardly worry about it.
If they're under level 5, I'd show caution unless they skew things to their favour or have lots of fancy magical items or really know what they're doing.
>>
>>51653099
>>51653099
Impossible, since fatigue is not a thing.
>>
>>51653176
>The people you tortured just so happened to be related to some overpowered paladin!

Come on.
>>
>>51653176
Hmm, maybe I should lay out the situation a bit more.

5 level 6.

>Light Cleric
>5 Veng Pally/1 Warlock
>Sun Soul Monk
>Assassin Rogue
>Dragonborn Sorcerer

I'd assume they could handle themselves? It seems like a Young Green Dragon wouldn't be too bad, but a Red may be an issue with its breath.
>>
Hi, /5eg/, what do you guys think of the Kingdom/Faction/Warfare rules Legendary Games put out?

Are they worth buying? Are they worth using if I can find pirated copies? Am I better off homebrewing something? Better off converting something from another system?
>>
>>51653176
Oh, a paladin vigilante will also be stalking him and two others. They piss off a lot of people.
>>
>>51652882
No worries, be sure to give us a review of how it plays. Cheers.
>>
Are there any massive or megadungeons that you dorks can recommend? I'm too lazy to make something myself from scratch, but want something to tweak a little and plop down for players to discover.
>>
>>51653207
Why does the paladin have to be related?
If there's a paladin anywhere nearby and they find this woman, the paladin would likely help out.

>>51653210
Well, looking up young dragon, CR 8...

As long as the paladin and cleric play sensibly they'd manage it, easily. Otherwise there's a chance they could fuck up, but as long as you don't wear them out too much before the fight they should be perfectly fine, might even trounce it when you consider the paladin can go nova on it.
>>
>>51653227
Is there anything that ISN'T stalking them?
>>
Not that I expected any of the sorcerer problems to get sorted with the UA, but I'd still hoped for a little more.

I do like the quirks for phoenix sorcerers, especially the first one, though.
>>
>>51653283
Oddly enough, no dragons are involved. Though there is a grumpy Dragonborn thug that also wants to kill Murder McPC to prove that he's hardcore to all his merc homies.
>>
four elements monk should get the "manipulate X" cantrips baseline at level one
>>
File: Maduvu.jpg (19KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Maduvu.jpg
19KB, 640x427px
>>51652821
The demon hunter's glaives at least superficially resemble pic related. Those god damn bladed boomerang monstrosities come from Krull, and has since been perpetuated by a lot of fantasy.
>>
Is the best way to help a grappled ally is to shove him away?
>>
>>51653210
>>51653210
My level 6 party almost down an adult white dragon (it fly away with only ~3 hp left).

Take it as you will.
>>
File: More Neopolitan.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
More Neopolitan.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Are there any mechanics that allow for attacks to be redirected (that aren't high level and/or Bloody Path)?
>>
>>51653324
Depends on grappler's reach and your push distance, the direction you push them in and sometimes the DM might try to say 'lol no he keeps hold of the guy' but by RAW it is effective, especially if you're, say, a warlock.
>>
>>51653381
A wizard school (Might be enchantment?) has this at level 6.
>>
>>51653299
Same here. I'm curious though: In your opinion, what are the sorcerer's problems?
>>
>>51653381
I think one of the UA archetypes had a feature where they could redirect an attack that missed them, but I can't remember what class it was for.
>>
>>51653425
not that anon, but Sorc is essentially Diet Wizard, it's just not quite as good as the real thing.
>>
>>51649300
I like the dress.
The belt-y bit around the waistline works really well.

The cotton wool on the shield looks dumb, though.
>>
>>51651878
Unless you're doing something specific, campaigns shouldn't start above 3. Three is when characters come into their own and really define themselves, two is when they start learning about the world and how its works as well as developing as a team, one is just for establishing basics.
>>
>>51649212
Hmm. I definitely want to use this stuff but martial-caster disparity isn't as much as a problem and doesn't really come up until later levels. Any good levels for handing this stuff out? I wanna say 9 just because of monks running on water.
>>
What is the most basic character I could make? One that takes no thought.
>>
>>51653497
Champion Fighter
>>
>>51653497
Human fighter
>>
>>51653497

Probably a Warlock who's just an Eldritch Blast machine.
>>
>>51653039
There was no DM. No one wanted to.
>>
How does multiclassing work in 5e?

This guy seems to think:
"Its possible I misread my 5e Multiclassing section before making that post. Do I *Not* get a bunch of shitty low level spells in a single combined pool of slots?

Do I *NOT* need to take several levels in a specific martial class in order to get "extra attack?" If I "extra attack" in two sources, both of which could have gotten more than 2 attacks total, do I get a third attack?

Because unless I misunderstood something big:

>Shitty Low Level Spells
Yep.
>Lose Attacks
Yep."
>>
>>51653497
Champion archetype of Fighter is incredibly straightforward.
>>
>>51653445
Probably treachery, but fuck that shit.

>>51653497
Non-variant champion fighter that never takes any feats, just +2 str and +2 con as needed and maybe +dex otherwise.

Action - attack the fuck out of things. Action surge to use attack more. That's literally it.
You won't be playing well or effectively overall but you won't be completely ineffective.

For your fighting style, probably get the +1 AC one.
>>
Working on a homebrew where at least the first portion of the campaign takes place in an area of the world sealed off from the rest of the world. Since the party members are entirely newcomers how do I handle shit like History rolls and whatnot?

Should I let them try to recall information about the place and if they roll high enough they recall overhearing something while in town or during downtime they just happened to read a book that covered this? I don't just want to just tell them they know only what I directly tell them.
>>
>>51653497
Eldritch blast machine or champion fighter.
Both are roll to attack but champ fighter occasionally action surges.
>>
File: Qjjl_ch036_008-009-0.jpg (88KB, 572x574px) Image search: [Google]
Qjjl_ch036_008-009-0.jpg
88KB, 572x574px
>>51653369
No breath casualties? That is impressive.

were there revivifies?
>>
>>51653381
Monk's Deflect Missiles
>>
>>51653497
Non-variant Male Human Fighter, Longsword and a Shield, Dueling fighting style, Champion archetype at 3rd level, Soldier background.
>>
>>51653369
Hmm, I think I really need to step up the difficulty for my party now. They're level 2 now but it feels like they've barely been challenged.
>>
>>51653419
Yep.

School of Enchantment: Instinctive Charm
Beginning at 6th level, when a creature you can see within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to divert the attack, provided that another creature is within the attack's range. The attacker must make a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker must target the creature that is closest to it, not including you or itself. If multiple creatures are closest, the attacker chooses which one to target. On a successful save, you can't use this feature on the attacker again until you finish a long rest.

You must choose to use this feature before knowing whether the attack hits or misses. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect.

Neo "we took a character based on a rule 63 cosplay and named her after an ice-cream, somehow made that concept into a fan favourite, then proceeded to ignore her for a solid season" politan is clearly more of an illusionist, but there it is as an option.
>>
>>51653526
You have the spells known or prepared according to your individual classes, so a Sorcerer 1/Wizard 1 knows 2 sorcerer 1st level spells and has a Wizard Spellbook containing 6 1st level Wizard spells, but they have the spell slots of a 2nd level multiclass character. There is actually a complete table in the multiclassing section that tells you this.

But Extra Attack does not stack from different classes. The only class that can get Extra Attack more than once is Fighter.
>>
>>51653542

>"Eldritch Blast Machine"

Holy fuck, that's a guy at one of my campaigns. Every turn is either immediate Eldritch Blast or moving to a new location to Eldritch Blast. I mean it works but I can't imagine how exciting that can be.
>>
>>51653536
>Probably treachery, but fuck that shit.
Yup, Treachery Paladin, that's the one.
>>
>>51653381
The sanctuary spell
>>
>>51652505
My biggest problem with it is it doesn't scale. Not the damage, but the disadvantage.

Before long you get to mooks with multi-attack, and it's still only disadvantage on the first attack all the way through.

>>51653425
Mostly based around spells known/available.
Playing a WM sorc there are a few tweaks I'd like to see such as more reliability for surges (We've home brewed it so it's 1d10, and every time the thing doesn't go off the chance gets more likely, anyway. eg. if it doesn't go off first spell it goes off on a 1 or a 2, instead of just 1. It goes a long way to fixing it, but I'd like something official).
>>
>>51653657
I've played warlock and the problem is that there is nothing else better to do unless you have frequent as shit short rests. All other cantrips are less effective and spell slots are gone like the wind. I'm going to homerule it that 3 hours of travel counts as a short rest so the warlock in the party can actually use his spells rather than just eldritch blast.

Honestly every warlock should be a halfling just so that you can justify the rests as meals.
>>
>>51649300
I've played two characters and they were a Sorcerer and Wizard respectively, so never I guess.

I didn't want to play the Wizard
>>
>>51653657
>using quotes to quote
What did he mean by this ?
>>
>>51653729
International fa/tg/uys aren't exactly well known for format literacy on this Taiwanese Puppet Drama website.
>>
>>51652821
I know 'immersion' is violated by visual things you never actually see beyond 'this is my character' but it's odd that people are such sticklers when it comes to weapons and armor in D&D of all things.
>>
>>51653642
Is he right in that you get shitty low level spells and lose attacks?
>>
>>51648688
If it is truly retarded I don't mind just killing the players. My campaign is meant to be somewhat serious. If you want to randomly go "LOL I fuck the queen" or "Ha I just stab the judge" than you can find another campaign.
>>
>>51653657
>>51653657
>I can't imagine how exciting that can be.

About as exciting as playing a martial...
>>
>>51653838
Read the post dude, the answer is there.
>>
>>51650785
He said that he joked with his players about the sign. He should have clearly mentioned that yes, this city has laws against using magic.
>>
>>51653873
At least barbarians and battlemasters have some mechanics to use, eldritch blast machine is as bland as champion.
>>
>>51653526
Essentially. Unless you are multiclassing completely into two or more highly related classes you shouldn't lose out on too much. Sure if you are a barbarian 5, paladin 5, fighter 5 you wasted three levels, but the bigger question is why you are multiclassing so much and why you keep stopping at level 5 instead of 4 or 6.
>>
>>51653838
>shitty low level spells
Yes, but if you've multiclassed into full caster classes you should have some higher level spell slots to uprank them with.

>and lose attacks?
Yeah, which is why dual martial multiclassing is usually just a 1-4 level dip
>>
>>51653695
Do your house rules change Tides of Chaos at all?
>>
>>51653874
>>51653931
>>51653944
So, he's kinda right but he's also talking out of his arse?
>>
Is anyone else's MEGA file for Princes of the Apocalypse seem to be corrupted? Mine can't stay open for more than a minute before shutting down the app.
>>
>>51653545
People were down but no one instantly die. So my Druid and the Bard can pick them back up with healing words.

On the unrelated note:
My Druid also survived Finger of Death in his human form (successful save and roll low on the DM part) with 2 HP left. He is one tough guy.
>>
>>51654018
Seems fine to me, what are you using to view the PDF? Are you on a damn phone?/spoiler]
>>
I have 30 minutes to make a level 3 character for a party of 3 consisting of a nature cleric and swashbuckler rogue, what should I play?
>>
>>51653976
No, but my GM is pretty good about activating it.
He'll usually do it that turn, if possible. He wont constantly give it back to me, though.
>>
>>51654131
A Paladin would be solid.
>>
>>51654131
Variant Human Sailor Background Polearm Master Paladin of the Ancients
>>
File: cc57e1046f38799d.jpg (53KB, 601x850px) Image search: [Google]
cc57e1046f38799d.jpg
53KB, 601x850px
>>51654131
Necromancer with the balls to start the skeleton war and make the great skeleton-based AI known as Deep Rot.

of course you would have to plan things/hire some NPC to tank damage or you'd get TPKd so...Fist barbarian?
>>
Has anyone had someone try the Artificer in a campaign? I am interested in playing the gunsmith but I am worried about balance issue.
>>
>>51654173
>>51654180
Paladin it is, thanks guys. I'm indecisive as fuck when it comes to picking a class so this helps.
>>
>>51654228
Paladin would be perfect; your dude or dudette would be the vanguard superwarrior badass, with two flexible, potent fuckers bringing up the flanks. Wouldn't be nothin' to fuck with.
>>
Has anyone ever gotten any of the Classic Modules Today conversion guides off DMsGuild?
I got two done by the same guy and they're shit, but I'm curious if other converters might present something worthwhile.
>>
I want to be JRPG hero. What is the best all-rounder build?

Paladin 2 / Stone Sorcerer X for heal and divine smite?
>>
>>51654180
Why sailor background?
>>
Speaking of modern-world fantasy, how would a solar fare in the modern world?
>>
>>51654297
A) I think the idea of this dude getting marooned or shipwrecked and winding up on some lush fucking island and becoming some kind of crazy nature guardian super warrior just sounds cool as fuck

B) Top shelf skills
>>
>>51654104
I'm using the MEGA app, and I'm on my tablet.
>>
>>51654318
Depends on a lot of things, but I'd imagine if it landed in a very religious part of the US, pretty well.

But more likely it'll create a lot of controversy and panic.
>>
>>51654332
1) Any background can do that. Anyone can ride a freaking boat and get ship wreck.

2) skill proficiency us customizable. It's in the core rule (as oppose to optional rule like feat). The only thing you should be looking for in background is its niche RP ability or it's really depend on the area you will be in (no sea? Sailor is bad. no town? Noble is bad.)
>>
>>51654190
>Fist Barbarian
?Âż?
>>
>>51653996
It's most notable for the spellcasters. They lose the most, IMO (But still less than they do in 3e/Pathfinder.

A Wizard 10/Cleric 10 has good spell slots, but his spell selection will be crappy, in that he'll just have a bunch of low level spells and no high level spells.

As for the attacks, only fighter gets 4 attacks (5 with action surge). Most Martials get 2. The 5th level in any martial class is a dead level if you have 5 or more levels in another martial class.

I can see the argument of wanting something else when you get a redundant class feature that doesn't stack. It sucks when that happens, it's not fun.

Multiclassing mostly sucks for mages though. They can continue to scale up their low level spells, but they never get the high level spells at all.
>>
File: carol and Jess.gif (266KB, 757x1000px) Image search: [Google]
carol and Jess.gif
266KB, 757x1000px
What was the toughest enemy your PC has killed while naked?
>>
>>51654418
Do druid wildshape form count as naked?
>>
So I'll be joining a campaign in a few months and apparently muskets and what not are allowed.

How can I make a LV5 character that could pass for a medieval operator using either a crossbow or a musket?
>>
Is it worth driving 50 mins to an hour on a weekend to a store?
>>
>>51654379
Heh, but it would need to gel with their sensibilities of what it represents, the public could even go to war over it.

Elsewhere, if it did go rogue, how would the people stop it? Since it's also not as hilariously op as it was in prior editions.
>>
>>51654418
Lizardman Barbarian killed (or rather helped kill) an Adult Dragon by clamping on its throat like an angry chihuahua and not letting go until it was dead.
>>
>>51654418
A Medusa. Long story short the entire party was buck naked and we blindly beat her to death with broken furniture in a narrow hallway.

Didn't end up rolling through the combat, the DM just realized what was going to happen and skipped the fight.
>>
>>51648095
For as long as the players are tracking something, the game is going to be linear. After all, that's how tracks work. BUT, that doesn't mean the players have no options for unique approaches. In my opinion, tracking sequences go much better when the players are close to the quarry, because it gives them enough wiggle room to strategize. Do the players try to outpace the giants and drive them to exhaustion through pursuit? Do they track them at a distance and wait for a vulnerability, like maybe mealtime, or night? Do the players guess where the giants are heading, and get there first to cut them off?

And how do the giants try to shake the players, if at all? Do they cover their tracks? Do they lay a false trail to throw them off? Do they attempt to set up an ambush, maybe wait on top of a cliff with rocks to throw down? They could easily use their strength to set up a barrier, causing the players to either have to find a way around or cut through.
>>
Sam Riegel is a genius.
>>
Quick question about the Warlock's Mystic Arcanum, which has the following statement:

>You can cast your arcanum spell once without expending a spell slot. You must finish a Long Rest before you can do so again.

Let's assume I am a 17th level warlock. Does this mean I cast all of the mystic arcanum spells I have at their base levels, or can I "choose" what level they count at (for instance, can I make all four spells count as being 9th level)?

This is important.
>>
>>51654728
Since they're independent of spell slots, there's no way to uprank them. Sorry.
>>
>>51654418
Giant Squid.
>>
Would you let a player who's picking a Totem Barb that isn't from the wilds nor spiritual take something else to replace the ritual casting? What would be some good (balanced) trades? Ideally utility abilities.

Character is a city guard turned merc/private detective with a bad drinking habit and worse anger issues.

Maybe replace the level 3 rituals with knowing Thieves Cant?
>>
How come every warlock feature is just "you get to cast some spells?" Why not give them more slots and make the features different and interesting?
>>
>>51654444
Variant Human, Crossbow Master feat, Sharpshooter Fighter.
>>
>>51654761
Seems fair. Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>51654830
Because the warlock is often toeing the line of "Is this OP is it refreshes on short rest?" Many spells are, so they give them out with a catch, usually being 1/day.
>>
>>51648898
You're over emphasizing the importance of sex.
>>
>>51649099
Stop looking to your sheet to tell you how to do things in the game world.
>>
>>51654830
the class is balanced around short rests and at-will spellcasting abilities. The token big abilities are more expensive for that reason. Tons of raw spellcasting ability is the domain of wizards and sorcerers.

Unfortunately, at-will spellcasting is only so useful, so warlock ends up being better as a multiclass. The thing that would probably tip the scales is if upcasting spells functioned better, since at a higher level your precious slots are level 5 all the time.
>>
Running a 1st sess for a new group in 45mins, but I'm not feeling very inspired.

Think I'm gonna run LMoP for them, atleast for a bit before moving over into a whole custom campaign.

However I need a better hook. LMoP's hook is boring.

This group is all 1st timers save for me. What would you guys do?
>>
>>51649212
>Weapons and ammunition made of adamantine deal
double damage against objects not also made of
adamantine.

Yikes. I know my players would immediately interpret this as "This weapon does double damage".

But otherwise this is fantastic.

I don't know why Conan is always the go to for "what Martials should be like"

Fucking BATMAN is what martials should be like.
>>
>>51654812
If they're not spiritual/wild, how are they benefiting from spiritual animal totems in the first place?

I mean you can refluff the entire archetype, I guess, so Thieves' Cant seems like a fine replacement.
>>
File: Garfunkle.png (246KB, 655x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Garfunkle.png
246KB, 655x1167px
Have Thri-Kreen been added yet to 5th edition? Or do I have to use homebrew to play as them?
>>
>>51655232
Man, if you can't even come up with a hook for the most basic of premade adventures, you have no business being a DM.
>>
File: Druid_-_phb_3.5.jpg (125KB, 400x463px) Image search: [Google]
Druid_-_phb_3.5.jpg
125KB, 400x463px
Is it even worth it to play druid if you're not going to play Circle of the Moon? CotM is just so much stronger than CotL it's not even funny.
>>
>>51655280
You'll have to use homebrew.I have one if you want
Thri-Kreen Traits:

Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2.

Multiple Arms: You have an additional set of arms that while not as strong as your primary ones, are still useful. You may interact with simple objects or features twice, rather than once, before you must use an action to do so.

Torpor: Thri-Kreen don’t sleep. Instead, they enter a dreamless state of Torpor, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

MANTID THRI-KREEN

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

Standing Leap: Your long jump is up to 20 feet and your high jump is up to 10 feet, without a running start.

Agile Claws: You may add your dexterity modifier to attack rolls and damage done with your unarmed strikes instead of your strength modifier.
>>
>>51655307
Hey I've been GMing for years now, like I said not feeling very inspired

Gm fatigue I guess
>>
>>51654418
A red dragon.
As a Fighter.
>>
>>51655325
Man that art is fucking hideous.
>>
>>51655325
Moon is stronger early on but in later levels Land does just fine. They're basically Nature Wizards.
>>
>Started hiring two hookers for d&d sessions, one to suck off the DM and one for whoever's turn it is in combat.

Expensive, but we can't go back. Better than ordering pizza at least.
>>
Looking for a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes book; it doesn't seem to be up in the Mega. Anyone got one?
>>
>>51655586
What, just perpetually throughout the whole session? That sounds like it would be pretty awful after a while.
>>
>>51655625
It's pretty great desu. We're all still relatively young, so we only need to take a quick breather before continuing. The DM is the guy who originally suggested the idea, and I don't know how he just keeps going.

The only problems that arose were that early on it was hard to roleplay, but we've (almost) entirely gotten over that and the sessions go as usual.
>>
>>51655624
I have it, but how do I send it for the Mega?
>>
>>51655654
Oh god, I'm imagining this and the image in my head makes me want to drink bleach. I mean, even if everyone involved looks like a supermodel, it's still awkward as fuck.
>>
>>51655654
So do the hookers just wait around whenever you aren't in combat or what?
>>
File: sad.png (80KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
80KB, 500x421px
>>51655736
They just go from person to person

>>51655719
ouch :(
>>
>>51655232
If they're first timers, don't write off a typical D&D adventure as boring. It's new to them! I tried to reinvent the wheel when I DMed for the first time, and it was pointless because my players had no way to put my contrarian design decisions in context. Play some "vanilla" D&D and get a feel for what it is before trying to riff on it or deconstruct it.
>>
>>51655654
I don't understand. Why did your DM think that this would be the perfect time for a blowjob?
>>
>>51655586
If this were real, which it isn't, it would be pretty sad. Fuck, better to just pay them to play the game with you.
>>
>>51655774
>>51655774
>>51655774

FRESH BREAD
>>
>>51655662
I... don't really know. Any anons here what can help an anon out?
>>
>>51655662
Someone who has the login info for the MEGA needs to share it. You use it to log in, and then upload the files.
>>
>>51649099
Martial characters are precisely designed not to have a dependency on their resource mechanics so that they're consistently ready to fight. That's why most of them are designed to enhance their combat powers rather than replace them. In addition, they tend to have greater defensive capabilities, with only the clerics and moon druids being able to hold their own in dangerous situations (and let's face it, comparing anything to moon druid is a bit unfair). Of course it's fair to say this isn't enough to compare when one guy is stabbing really hard while the other is turning people into dinosaurs or tentacleing any available orifices, but it's a simple case of preference on the one hand and design on the other. If a campaign is adequately designed to catch casters with their pants down you'll find the fighter far more useful, although some people will consider this to be bad design since using ambushes for the sake of ambushes is just cruel and a sure sign of a salty dm.

Basically when it comes down to it, just pick whatever character you want. Some people don't want to manage spells and like the idea of smacking things dead. Nothing's stopping you from picking wizard, nor changing to a system that allows for weeaboo fightin' magic.
>>
>>51655325
Moon is wildly overrated, people who hate on the druid spell list are morons who think they're going to ever see a wish at the table happen uncorrupted, and land is basically a wizard who won't die from a fit of asthma.
>>
>>51655325
As somone who has played a Circle of land to level 16, and played in a party up to level 10 with a Circle of land druid.

They are crap, the extra spell or two a day you get is not worth it.

The extra spells prepared are often hyper situational.

The few new spells you get from your domain are nice, but minor. I got a lot of use of Misty-Step but that is about it.

It's not even the wildshape forms that are the kick in the teeth, it's the fact that Moon can wildshape as a Bonus action, that gives them so much flexibility it's insane, for a Non-Moon druid using wildshape is a huge risk to your action economy, since you need to shift and then hope your form survives the round to do something, let alone if you want to buff yourself or cast a concentration before hand. Moon can cast and shift immediately, or shift and attack right away. That is a huge boon, especially when they are pretty much exactly as potent at casting spells as a regular druid.

Land is okay because druids are okay, for their archtype investment they just don't get anything substantial.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.