[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the opening and closing scenes of Stranger Things, how accurate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

In the opening and closing scenes of Stranger Things, how accurate a representation is this of how real 1st Edition DnD is played? There's no initiation rolls made, no move actions, you are killed by failed attack rolls (not even critically failed, like a 7), etc. I'm only familiar with 3.5 and above and I was curious if this is actually how it used to be played or if this is another example of TV bullshitting about something it doesn't know?

Also what do you find the most accurate depiction of table-top games in popular media like a movie/show/cartoon, etc
>>
>>51646544
Was there ever an accurate representation of tabletop in media?
>>
The show was adapted for people who have never EVER played a TG, let alone even know DnD was a thing.

I know this cause the girl I'm keen on had never even heard of a d20 and yet loved the show.
>>
>>51646544
Its tv bullshitting about things it doesn't know.

I have a copy of OD&D.
>>
>>51646544

The scenes begin with the characters in initiative, and both sides already damaged. They're not killed by a failed attack roll; rather, they fail to kill the enemy, and then the enemy kills them on its turn.

They don't waste a lot of showtime on mechanics most of the audience won't understand, but if you pay attention, they didn't get anything wrong.
>>
>>51646661

Exactly. They need to couture the show for regular plebs.

Which is a shame and yet not a shame at the same time.
>>
>>51646544

Honestly, when I played Basic as a kid in the early 80s, we were really fast and loose with the mechanics. Some of it was because the manuals belonged to our DM's older brother who kept it well away from our bunch of grubby little kid hands so our DM had to go by his memory of the contents, but mostly it was because we didn't really care whether we were doing it "right."
>>
>>51646544
My headcanon is that they aren't playing anything close to the actual rules because they're like 8 years old.
>>
>>51646661
Except for trying to hurt Demogorgon with a fireball, but that hardly counts.
>>
>>51647245
Don't you mean THE Demogorgon? :^)
>>
>>51647264
Triggered
>>
This show was offensively mediocre. I realize they wanted to go down well trodden paths but goddamn every fucking trope was so fucking tired and not investigated in a meaningful or exciting way at all
>>
>>51646544
It wasn't very accurate but who cares
the point of them playing DnD was to set up some plot points and some of the characters traits.
no series or movie will bother making a realistic representation of it because nobody cares how genuine the rules of some game the characters are playing,
>>
>>51647523
Also Will owning up to his character getting killed by the monster immediately establishes him as the sort of player you go to hell and back for.
>>
The thing with the original play culture of D&D is that there wasn't any sort of "standard." The game was very light on explanations of what an actual game would look like. A certain controversial figure in the RPG industry likened it to cargo cults: people would pick up these books, read through them, and piece together what a game was supposed to look like by guesswork and intuition, maybe they knew someone else who had played with other people who had done the same thing, but all in all it was a really slapdash sort of thing.

So in a sense, yes, it was accurate in that it is what a game of D&D played around that time could have looked like.
>>
>>51649471

Makes sense. an 80s D&D group and a 2000s D&D group would certainly have some differences.
>>
>>51646544
>...another example of TV bullshitting about something it doesn't know?

Even if the rules aren't exactly right, there's no way that opening scene was written by someone who didn't play some kind of roleplaying game as a kid. That dropped dice moment is all too familiar.

Also, when I was getting into this stuff (only like five years later than the show) we used to fuck around and make rules up all the time. It could easily have been some homebrew game or one of the many non-D&D-but-suspiciously-similar games that were out there (Tunnels and Trolls, for example, which is what I started on).
>>
>>51647245
Meh, they were probobly Roided up on their arsonal own magical itemsthat deal + 9 dmg vs ogres and the like.
>>
>>51646544
I honestly loved those scenes

It felt like a real shout out to when I was that age.
I remember finding AD&D books in a thrift store and playing it with friends. We didn't really understand the rules or really get making a good game. Played outside in the middle of a cul-de-sac
But we had fun. Stupid maps doodled on graph paper to make the dungeons. Got in shit in class once for not paying attention and just drawing my dungeon maps

I know it was stupid and probably didnt make much sense (and what did was a rip off of LotR or Star Wars or old conan comics) but there was a beauty that made me fall in love with table top gaming. Something that made it fun and pure. Something I've been chasing since my friends and I all moved on and out of that street.
I always wonder if it was childhood innocence or just nostalgia that keeps me believing it was the best
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.