[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any advice for starting an evil campaign? I've been playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1474859712180.jpg (32KB, 457x580px) Image search: [Google]
1474859712180.jpg
32KB, 457x580px
Any advice for starting an evil campaign?
I've been playing with the idea of flipping the script and running one, probably with a bit of video game influence with the party having to deal with a hero that grows depending on the minion they send at him. Maybe even have different heroes depending on where they are or what they do.

Already established the rule that they have to work together, but are there any more strong requirements?
>>
>>51626747
Don't
>>
>flipping the script
Depends how literal you mean that.

Do you want a more strategic game where the PCs are putting into motion dark plans as various heroes attempt to stop them?

Or do you just want the usual "get quest, do quest, murderhobo along the way" but with different fluff.
>>
>>51626803
Strategic. I've actually been working on how to streamline background work like minion managing, and making networks of NPCs, locations, etc.
Basically all the shit I story up for my BBEGs, but players get to do it. Though some murderhobo activity is inevitable to make the game not too dry.
>>
Ask them to create realistic caracter. Otherwise, you might end up with something absurd. The key is probably to make their goals differ from the "greater good".
They might pursu illegals goals, personal gain, etc. and be ready to take the actions necessary.

Evil minions can be included, but try to not make it caricatural.
>>
Be able to clearly get across what you are trying to do in this game because, rest assured, your idea of "evil" isn't the same as the players, and you will have without doubt end up with a crop of terrible pcs who are sociopathic, murderhobo/rapist, backstabbing cunts, rather than engaging villains, if only because engaging villains are hard to do when you are on the DM's side of the screen, much less a player.
>>
File: all for one and one for all.jpg (130KB, 726x408px) Image search: [Google]
all for one and one for all.jpg
130KB, 726x408px
>>51626747
I've done something in that vein before, where all the players decided they wanted to play a ruthless gang of thieves in a city. Evil in this case involves theft, burglary, protection, racketeering, bribery, smuggling, and a bit of assassination. They were still friends as characters and worked to save each other when it came up. It went surprisingly well before it was interrupted by real life issues.

Remember that in generic traditional storytelling, the antagonist is the proactive agent of change. They drive the story whether they are trying to take over the kingdom, summon demons, or what have you.

The heroes are agents of conservation. They are almost purely reactive, trying to stop the evil plots of the villain and maintain the status quo.

What this means is, an evil campaign requires lots of creativity and effort on the part of the players. They need to have very clear goals and the challenges they face are oftentimes ones of their choosing. They will need to put in more time and work. The possibility of boredom is also a concern since if they attempt any ambitious plans it will probably take a very long time to get there. They also will need very clear reasons to work together and trust each other.

It will also take more effort on the part of the GM since they will have to prepare more of a sandbox as opposed to just throwing adventures at them.
>>
>>51626747
run it like you're establishing an underfrpound network be it religious/political/criminal or a mix of all three: thugee cult with political aspirations or the fixers for a corrupt nobility either in or out of power/loyal to a deposed king/dictator/ hated cult (maybe hated because of the sacrifices or the forced temple prostitution, whatever), heretics/factions with an established theocracy? You'll have decide how blatant to be like cartel level 'blamming cops/city guards in the street or more like pedo networks where you're united together in being despised?
>>
>>51626747
Plenty of campaigns are at least slightly evil. After all your heroes are running around robbing and pillaging and occasionally genociding green people because they're green.
>>
>>51626747
option 1: common goal/enemy
>players are a group that just so happens to be evil all trying to accomplish the same goal like getting rich, killing a king who wants them dead, earn freedom from a beholder who enslaved them

option 2: bigger evil
>spooky monster killing lots of stuff, will kill players, their families, destroy their homes and stuff

give players a common goal and plenty of reasons to work together and not stab eatchother in the back
a blackgaurd wont kill a thief if he needs him to open doors and a wizard wont gib a ranger if he needs protection
>>
You have to define how evil your group is going to be and how comfortable players are with various evil acts

All the PCs need a common goal and a reason not to dick each other over. You as GM must strictly enforce the NO DICKING EACH OTHER OVER rule

99% of all evil campaigns end because players either aren't on the same page, one is a hammy supervillain and the other is a psychotic baby murderer, or they start screwing each other over constantly trying to out backstab everyone else
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.