[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone creating their own game? Whether pen & paper, card,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Anyone creating their own game? Whether pen & paper, card, board, or other.

Share thoughts and stories.
>>
There are two other threads about homebrewing, /gdg/ (game dev general) and someone else who missed that there's a /gdg/.

Not that I complain, I'd rather have 3 homebrew threads than 3 more D&D/WH40k/stat me threads.

I have like 3-4 projects in my mind. Since I have free time now, I'll probably start on one of them.
>Soulsborne/Soul Calibur inspired combat system using cards
>Picking up and coding a working version of a cardgame that is going defunct
>Homebrewing alternative rulesets for Strike! (4e-ified rituals, utility powers and skills, possibly Savage Worlds stats)
->d20heartbreaker I intend to upload to the 5e shop based on Legend and 4e
>>
I'm putting the finishing touches on a generic RPG right now, after about four years of work. Then I'll look into formatting and self-publishing or getting it to a publisher, though as an Austrian my options are pretty limited there.
>>
I'd rather starting making games, or playing those made by other people, than these big company games.
>>
>>51609052
>>51609098

What's your main reason for creating these? Something was missing that other people were doing, or something you felt you could do better?

Or maybe not better, but something that fits you?
>>
>>51612073
Me and my group weren't happy with any of the games offered, so I set out to write my own rules-medium gerneric RPG.
Rules-medium because that's the spot I like best for RPGs and generic because we play a shitton of different settings and games. I'm confident to say that it's gotten pretty good by now, after going a shitton of overhauls and rewrites and I learned a lot about writing games in the proces like the most important thing is being able to kill any part of the game, even if you like it
>>
I have a game from when I was a kid.

It was literally Risk, but instead of using dice for combat, you played Black Jack, sort of, except you'd be competing against someone else, kind of like War. I remember it being hilariously fun, and I bet it would be good with some rules pertaining to alcohol.
>>
I was making a D&D-lite, but then 5e came out and did everything I was trying to do, with the bonus that I don't have to convince people to play something obscure.

I tried morphing it even lighter into a randomized card game, but the Urealms Live guys made something similar enough that I gave up on that, too. But I still have most of it, and it's meant to be a pick up and play game that works even without a DM.

The basic idea was you'd draw a random spell card and ability card, and made up your "class" from that combo, as well as make up your abstract basic attack that you could always use. Abilities were just less powerful spells. So one person might draw a firebolt ability and a healing spell, while another draws a sneak attack ability and a fireball spell. Anyway, you'd then pick a char sheet card based on the race you wanted to be, and it would have your racial bonus printed on there, along with places to record stats and points.

The basic setup was you'd roll a 4d6 and assign each d6 to one of your stats (physical, mental, health, and luck) and that number was your bonus to that thing. That number was also how many points you got per day, except for HP which was 4 x health stat.

You had a deck of cards for enemies as well, who had HP based on how many players there were, as well as possibly number of underlings and such. Combat turns go back and forth between enemies and players, with all players going, then all enemies, then back. It was assumed everyone was in range for anything, sort of like playing an older rpg like final fantasy. You could use a basic attack, ability, spell, or run away on your turn. basic attack is the same for everyone, whether flavored as a sword or bow or arcane missile or whatever. Spending a PP let you add a die to the damage roll. Abilities can be used once/enc or reused by spending a PP. Spells can only be cast by spending MP. Rolls can be rerolled by spending a Luck Point. Running away let you be considered out of combat.
>>
>>51617270
I was working under the assumption that 3 fights would be a "day", after which you'd refresh your points and level up. Leveling up meant adding 1 to a single stat, then drawing a single spell or ability card and adding that to your repertoire of possible actions.

All rolls were based on only having 2d6, too, so it would be playable with just a couple dice to pass around.

I have the rules pdf and some example spell/ability cards if anyone's more interested
>>
>>51608824
I'm designing a tower defense, small skirmish and dungeon crawler games. And have designed a couple card games too.
It's somewhat easy for me because I'm a /gd/ and pro illustrator. It's somewhat hard because I don't live in America and getting quality components at fair prices is not an option.
It's also nice that there's a bi-montly game designers meet-up in my city and we get to play and test each other's games.
>>
There's a turn-based strategy game I've made and played with my friends a few times. I've decided to heavily alter it to make it so that instead of controlling your entire army on your turn you only control 2 or 4 pieces, but I'm holding off on it because of my other project.

I'm making a tabletop rpg where instead of rolling dice you play a poker card from your hand and combine it with a card from a deck (red 3 = -3, each face card has a special effect), if you run out of cards in your hand before you have a chance to their get a rest to refill or get an ace to refill you take 1 damage.
Classes are kinda based on industrial professions (miner, crewman, scholar, thief, hunter, guard, rider/beast master, monstrous-man) and races give ability and physical shape instead of stats (centaurs are tall and heavy and can be ridden, there's a predatorial species that can invest multiple cards into a single attempt and can eat raw or diseased meat, and a few more species).
Eating and sleeping once a day is the main way to get health back, and if neglected can cause health to be lost.
>>
>>51616098
You should consider trying cosmic encounters sometime.
A main mechanic to that game is that both player involved decide how many ships to commit, then other players decide who they want to side with and by how much, then the 2 main players reveal an encounter card at the same time, with the encounter card determining their combat strength bonus and whether or not theyre actually being hostile.

There's a bunch of optional expansions, different races with unique powers, and high potential for houserules.
>>
Homebrewing up a forum based Nation builder set in Warcraft 1 time line. Players are either on the nobility of stormwind or the orcish clans. Everyone has to juggle fighting the enemy while managing their provinces / settlements politicking to remain in their NPC faction leaders favor. Orders are turned in once a week, with results being posted in news story. The rest of the week is basically just players role playing with each other. There are mechanics in place for base building, economy as well as army management and hero creation.

Is this a fools errand /tg? I have about 4 players already picked out from both online and rl friends. Hoping to try and get another 4 but Im still in the process of finalizing then posting everything on the forum.
>>
Rough stages of a fantasy skirmish wargame. Mechanics best I can describe them is akin to infinity. Models generate "command" tokens that you can spend to move/attack with your minis. Warlords generate 2-3 command tokens. Wizards use command tokens as resources for spells. Reactions are pretty much ARO's are only available to units under attack, or archers doing reactionary fire.

Don't ask me about stats I'm not there yet. Hell I don't even know if people would wanna play this game. It's something I'd like to play though so I hope others would.
>>
>>51612073
I like tinkering and improving things to fit my own tastes better.

Also, these are all things I like with very little/no support.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.