[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historically, were there any Black or female knights? (Other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0262.jpg (277KB, 850x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0262.jpg
277KB, 850x1632px
I'm curious if there were such figures in the Middle Age Christian Europe. Joan of Arc would be obvious one, but any others?
>>
>>51608077

Historically or in myths and legends? Joan wasn't really a knight in pure historical terms, as she was never knighted. She was a military commander, however.
>>
>>51608077
You can find a few scattered myths about warrior women or ladies who were badass in general, but for the most part the answer is 'no'

Also enjoy your 100+ replies of autisic shitposting because you referenced Joan of Arc as a real knight, now people have to come out of the woodwork and debate whether she was just a lucky charm/cheerleader or an actual military figure. -4 STR will follow.
>>
Non comprehensive list of names for you to google, OP.

Rani Lakshmibai
Mai Bhago
Matilda of Canossa
Nzinga Mbande
Princess Pingyang
Queen Tamar
Tomyris
Trieu Thi Trinh
Mochizuki Chiyome
Ana Lezama de Urinza
Hervor
Khutulun
Jeanne Hachette
Jeanne de Clisson
Zenobia
Julie D'Aubigny

Absolutely NONE of these fit your criteria of the middle ages, Europe, and Christian except maybe Matilda of Canossa who was one of the Pope's body guards. But they're the only warrior women I could find.
>>
Ok, how about Black... or Moor knights then? Think I saw one in Kingdom of Heaven, but not sure if that is fictional or historically accurate. I mean the Black knight, not the movie itself.
>>
>>51608077

Yer talking history? Real European History?

First of all, females could be part of the miles class (miles, soldier in latin,the proper historical way of callin' 'em knights) as wives or widows. Females could command the loyalty of men and even organize military units or lances, even if of course we don't have a ton of them in the sources: regarding fighting they did not fight, of course. The only females that went on the battlefield were camp followers or rarely hardass women that got in the lower ranks (where no one truly cared about who did the dying). Peasant rebellions or revolts had their fair share of female combatants, as usual. The concept of a fully fledged female knight in armour would have been weird as the concept of a fully fledged female priest.

I'd presume that with "Black" you refer to non-Western European. Well, the literary and cultural concept of "knighthood" is typically Western European\Latin, so it all depends on the period we're talking about as even "white" populations like the Scottish or the Irish had to wait for some centuries before being recognized as civilized. You can get Slavic miles without problems, as their cultural model was quite comparable, likewise for Eastern Romans after the 11th century. About muslims, they are described as miles in Christian sources, and they had a comparable role, but they were not miles in the exact sense: but of course, the frankish realms in the Near East and in the Mediterranean often gave us muddled situations and conflicting titles and loyalties. So it may have happened that we got a Syrian miles or something.

But remember that even what is a miles changes: from merely "murderhobo with a horse and a sword" to "member of a recognized social category that has to follow cultural norms".

All this yadda yadda to say: no, we don't have female fighting knights, and yes, we could had non-Western knights in border areas. It's merely common sense.
>>
>>51608397

Aethefled of Mercia
Matilda of Tuscany
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Jeannne of Monfort
Christine de Pisan

All of them women who took up arms and armor to fight, but none of them of course was a "knight" proper. Really, the question is how narrowly OP defines "knight".
>>
File: black knight.jpg (134KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
black knight.jpg
134KB, 630x1200px
??
>>
>>51608435
>>51608170

Now, to expand this to myths and legends, the idea of the woman or "foreign" warrior was actually quite popular throughout the end of the Roman period all the way up to the Reneissance. All the way from Scatach in the celtic traditions of Britain to Bradamante in the Roland epics there were the idea that some women would take up arms and fight, which wasn't entirely unfounded in reality. The Arthurian sagas also had a couple of saracen (moor) knights added in the medieval period, the most famous of which was sir Palamedes or Palomides.
>>
>>51608408
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriaen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palamedes_(Arthurian_legend)
Doubtful that they actually existed, but they are enshrined in myth.
>>
Of course, don't you know most knights were actually black, as well as most Europeans? Are you a racist?
>>
Order of the Hatchet.

A knightly order of women that formed when there were no men left to take up the mantle and defend themselves. They only lasted until they fulfilled their purpose (one generation iirc), but the precedent is there.

I don't know if they can be considered officially knighted though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.