[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm drawing maps for DND, and I can't decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: aRQEnP5_700b.jpg (52KB, 493x610px) Image search: [Google]
aRQEnP5_700b.jpg
52KB, 493x610px
Hey guys, I'm drawing maps for DND, and I can't decide what a good distance (in days on foot) would be reasonable for travel between towns, and how much faster should I make a couple horses pulling a cart or wagon, in 3.5e the book says a cart or wagon is slower than a walking character, but if I plan on spacing more than a few days between towns, making the cart slower seems like kind of a bad move since they'd more than likely require one for supplies.
>>
>>51599280
Depends. Are they in civilized lands or not? In civilized lands, usually goes something like this.

City-Village-Town-Village-Town-Village-City

With each stage being a day's travel or even half a day in heavily populated areas like the heart of an empire. Usually these are set along rivers or coastlines, but with advanced roadways you get more areas in land.

In uncivilized areas, having to go a week between settlements is not unreasonable. I usually like to have most human villages 4-7(1d4+3) days between each other until you leave human lands and start to get into inhuman lands (Orcs, Goblins and the like). Now that being the case, you usually won't have more then 2 frontier settlements before you hit uncivilized lands. Often 1 will do. So civilized pattern, then 1d4+3 days and hit a frontier village, then inhuman lands. If the 1d4 comes up a 1, I will consider another village if the second 1d4 doesn't come up 3 or 4. Sometimes I'll even allow it on the 3, never the 4.

The Pathfinder scale of 1 hex equals 12 miles usually works for me. I have a 320 x 145 hex map at that scale that defines the major human realm on my world. Lots of different cultures in that area and lots of settlements for various types of play. Got a couple of good forests and mountains in there for stuff inside the grand realm. Then I have 5 satellite realms with wilderness between each of the realm for frontier play. Dwarf realms and Elf realms in various hidden areas of uncivilized land exist. So I have plenty of different stuff to explore and that is less then 20 percent of the planned world.

At that scale of world building, I could kick it up to 24 miles per hex, but then I lose some of the granularity of map that disturbs me. I would prefer a 1 mile per hex map, but that is way too much work. But I will do those maps for select areas, like when a player settles down and tries to build a realm, keep, or dungeon.
>>
>>51599280
Characters can't walk 12+ hours per day like horses. There are rules for forced march. If players try to make long journeys on foot, they'll soon be fatigued and, after a while, take nonlethal damage from extended march. That's the whole point of the Endurance feat, something people usually only get as a prereq.

Wagons exist so you're not constantly making stops to rest and don't travel fatigued/exhausted. I know it's DnD, but for once try to think of your character as a person instead of an automata.
>>
>>51599280
People can march 30 to 40 kilometers per day on regular, not particularly challenging ground. Beyond that, you are approaching forced march exertion, which isn't sustainable for long.
On horse you can consistently get double that, assuming the horse is in good health and you have good gear and plenty of good resting spots for the horse. A wagon isn't faster and, depending on the load, maybe even slower than a rider because the horses need to pull a shitload of weight and continuous exertion and horses don't go well together.

Towns usually are spaced less than a casual day's travel away from each other.

>>51599553
Walking ten to twelve hours isn't unreasonable if you are actually travelling on foot. If you want to get somewhere it's not like you have anything else to do, except for eat, sleep and maybe take a short rest here and there. People do that even today.
>>
>>51599280
>making the cart slower seems like kind of a bad move since they'd more than likely require one for supplies.
It's not. Slow wagons and carts are a thing.

Although it just occured to me that I've been assuming that carriages, stage coaches, and horse drawn vehicles designed for passenger transport would go faster, but only on well maintained roads.
This is one of those things that I think I know until I stop to ask myself where I learned it.
Are there faster transports, still slower than just horse travel, or are they just more comfortable?
>>
>>51599881
They are faster than on foot and vastly more comfortable and less hassle than on horseback.
You can't take a whole lot of shit with you when riding, which makes carriages and coaches the only option for anyone that wants to travel any distance with any amount of luggage or wares.
>>
>>51600048
Okay good.
Thank you.

I have a bad habit of just working out what makes sense and later taking it as fact.
As evidenced in this lovely exchange between my roommate and I:

>Is that true? Or did you pluck that from your ass and call it knowledge?
>No... but it *sounds* true!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWWtqfwacQ

here you go anon
>>
>>51601438
Not the anon you linked it to, but that video was great

Thanks!
>>
>>51599280
What is this comic? I can't ever find anything that references the name
>>
File: 1365026426065.jpg (93KB, 636x731px) Image search: [Google]
1365026426065.jpg
93KB, 636x731px
>>51602287
It's not a comic. It's FKT Andersson's fetish art. If you're curious, his site's defunct. Keep circulating the tapes.
>>
>>51602547
THICC
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.