[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Making an urban fantasy setting set in another dimension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Urban fog alley dark.jpg (34KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
Urban fog alley dark.jpg
34KB, 620x372px
>Making an urban fantasy setting set in another dimension with humans and aliens
>Can't decide on Magic or Psionics

Please help, /tg/.
>>
>>51591418
>>Can't decide on Magic or Psionics

How about neither.
>>
>>51591418
why not both
if you must have only one probably magic
>>
>>51591418
psionics
>>
>>51591436
>>51591439

>shitty non-answers
>dude lol look how creative I am! XD
>>
File: 1480550459347.gif (320KB, 294x266px) Image search: [Google]
1480550459347.gif
320KB, 294x266px
>>51591418
Flip a coin, fuckface
>>
>>51591418
What's even the difference? Isn't psionics just mind magic?
But if you've got aliens psionics is probably more reasonable to go with sincei t's basically just sci-fi magic
>>
>>51591418
Why not have both, but have one be brought by the aliens and one by the humans. One of the running initial conflicts between the two is both looking at that the others are doing and not understanding just how the hell they are pulling that shit off.

Lead to ill-founded attempts to imitate each other and steal the techniques of the other side for their own gain, either cold-war style or like corporate espionage.
>>
>>51591418
make it almost a combination of both

like meme magic but stronger
>>
>>51591418
Use the force
>>
>>51591418
Why can't you have both? Some people are born with natural talent, others seek to emulate it through science.
>>
>>51591418
Same thing. Only difference is how the culture perceives the phenomenon.
>>
>>51591418

Whats the difference? I mean honestly there really isn't one.
>>
>>51591418
Magic.
But make it apocryphal, not shit like street gangs screeching MAGIC MISSILE at each other.
>>
>>51591694
>expecting any other replies

Your new is showing
>>
I kind of expect this to be a troll thread.

That said, it depends on the feel you want.

Mind magic comes from within. Discipline and training. Practicing it is a lot like practicing a martial art. The two may even come in tandem.

So if you want instant effects and duels and shiz, Psionics is better.

Magic in modern settings is at its best when it's heavily ritualized and based on modern folklore. Look at magic in settings like Buffy or Supernatural.

So do you want battles of will in the streets, or elaborate rituals in warded apartments that require preparation and forethought?

There can be some overlap, of course. Ritual magic can do enchanted items or fetishes (not that kind, weirdo). Psionics can do trances and astral projection and the like.

But, in the end, it's all about what feel you're going for.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.