[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My group and I are pretty new to trpgs and we have been playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1482858650036-wg.jpg (342KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1482858650036-wg.jpg
342KB, 1920x1080px
My group and I are pretty new to trpgs and we have been playing 5e since it came out. However, I came to dislike 5e as time passed.

Can you guys recommend me some systems in which I can GM a grimdark, realistic, low-medium magic medieval games?
>>
Warhammer Fantasy Role-playing 2nd Edition (WFRP) fits your criteria perfectly.
>>
RuneQuest, Chronica Feudalis, Ars Magica if you're willing to ignore magi altogether and just play as grogs/companions - the setting is already historical Europe and despite having magic as a main system mechanic it certainly feels more low-mid magic via the execution of the system.

Or GURPS if you feel like doing some bookkeeping. Honestly you could (although not recommended) even remove all magic from Pathfinder and get what you want.
>>
>>51587762
Thank you, I will surely look into that. Do I need to be knowledgeable about the Warhammer world or can I use my own setting?
>>
>>51587731
bait thread

no one talks like this but chinese
>>
>>51587853
I am sorry if my English skills offended you but I am not a native speaker.

>>51587840

Thanks, Chronica Feudalis seems really interesting, I will look into it. I have played with RuneQuest before but the combat system feels clunky to me.

Do mind that I don't hate magic or completely erase it from my games. I just don't like the 5e way of spamming cantrips and spells like its candy.
>>
>>51587889
You might enjoy Ars Magica as is then. It's by far the most "realistically" handled magic system I've ever seen in a game. Word of warning: it is a nightmare to GM sometimes and expect to take lengthy pauses to make sure things are running as intended, not a rules lite system by any stretch.
>>
>>51587941
Hermetic Magic and Mythic Europe sounds really cool, I will look into it. And I am okay with rules heavy systems as long as it doesn't turn into cross referencing several rulebooks.
>>
>>51587842
Warhammer's main draw (to me) is the setting and the rules fitting the setting. I like 3e more than 2e but almost no one will agree with me.

If you really want to do low fantasy and build your own setting, you need yourself some GURPS my friend.
>>
>>51587842
A lot of the careers are fairly generic but a few are lore specific. None of the races are uncommon fantasy, you have humans, elves, dwarfs and halflings. The items are notably average, no big magical swords here! Spells would be a bit tricky, they're tied to 'the winds of magic', which has different colours and each wind has its own spells. Magic is also hilariously deadly, you roll however many die you have in your magic stat and if any of them are a 9, bad bad things happen.
>>
>>51587731
Hackmaster is probably what you're looking for.
Combat and wounds are realistic and done well, magic is balanced with significant downsides, and it doesn't drag on like some systems.

If you want something less realistic / more simple and maximum grimdark, Torchbearer.
>>
>>51587731
All in the same family are the games: The Riddle of Steel, Song of Swords and Blade of the Iron Throne. Of these, SoS has/had an active general.
>>
>>51587731
Runequest is excellent. I also like Elric/Stormbringer and Pendragon who are also based on BRPG. Used to play them a lot during the 1990s.

WHFRPG is also pretty good, but is more cartoonish - DM'd the first edition a few times, was mostly a player. I liked the character's progression system where you start with a shitty job and move to better jobs.

GURPS does sword & sorcery pretty well, too. Used it for a short Conan campaign. What is good is that you can personalize your character more than with BRP, the drawback is that the system has a tad more crunch.

Lastly, there's Fuzion, which I find ok - DM'd some good Records of Lodoss War and Sengoku campaigns. Having DM'd a lot of Cyberpunk 2020, it was for me a very simple system to master. On complexity level, it's pretty much between BRPG and GURPS.

I don't have experience with more modern games. Savage Worlds seems decent. Maybe I'd give it a try.
>>
Also went through Riddle of Steel, but the combat system was too technical and counterintuitive for me. I wouldn't feel comfortable DM'ing it.
>>
>>51587731
Symbaroum
>>
>>51587762
Came to the thread to say this.
Happy to see someone else did on the first post. Well played, /tg/.
>>
>>51597981
I second this! Symbaroum is great
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.