[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system would you use to run a dieselpunk campaign in a low-magic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: robot_dick.jpg (125KB, 257x651px) Image search: [Google]
robot_dick.jpg
125KB, 257x651px
What system would you use to run a dieselpunk campaign in a low-magic, high-tech setting inspired by early 20th century America? Sapient robots, humans, and elves are playable races.
>>
>>51578350
Savage Worlds probably, but that's what I, personally would use. Strike-anon would suggest Strike!, and someone else would suggest GURPS.
>>
>>51578350
D&D
>>
Personally I'd roll with something rules-light, like D&D Basic, which would allow me to basically add anything I need and take anything I don't need away so that I wouldn't have much of an issue with overcomplication. If you prefer crunch though, I guess you could go with shadowrun reskinned or something.

I hear Savage Worlds is good for such things too, but I haven't played it before.
>>
>>51578350
Find the appropriate GURPS books and steal ideas from them and check the suggested media blurb if the book has it. I personally would suggest Savage Worlds, but I would warn you it seems to rub players the wrong way. The few I asked disliked the exploding dice factor, the deck of cards inlcuded for some mechanics, and leveling up doesn't add to much to character. I personally liked those bits myself though.
>>
>>51578350
G U R P S
U
R
P
S
>>
>>51578350
Wolsung?
>>
>>51578393
Savage Worlds sounds interesting, never met someone who's played it. My experience is pretty much limited to DnD and Pathfinder.

>>51579020
Thing about that is I'd have to homebrew almost an entirely new set of skills, spells, and classes. I've done some homebrew for 5e races and subclasses before, but that'd be by far the biggest thing I've ever attempted.

I kind of want to do it.

>>51579053
Do you mean the basic rules for 5e like described here http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules or do you mean like old school First Edition?

>>51579283
What are exploding dice? I'd make a joke about hoping it's not literal but that would just be cliche.

>>51579511
GURPS is suggested so often I just might need to see what this meme is all about.
>>
File: literally.gif (7MB, 1000x417px) Image search: [Google]
literally.gif
7MB, 1000x417px
>>51580094
Victorian ≠ Early 20th Century
Steampunk ≠ Dieselpunk
>>
>>51580356
Incorrect image selected.
>>
>>51580303

>Savage Worlds sounds interesting, never met someone who's played it.

Pros:
>clearly-defined and easy to follow crunch
>built around fast-paced cinematic gameplay, perfect for a "movie" game
>decent marriage of roleplay and rollplay: character generation and progression are designed around mechanical improvements presented in thematic ways
>plethora of official and third party supplements so a creative GM can run basically any game
>easy to houserule out things you don't like

Cons:
>combat is unpredictable
>not everyone likes the Benny system
>not nearly as comprehensive as GURPs

>>51580303
>What are exploding dice? I'd make a joke about hoping it's not literal but that would just be cliche.

In SW, when you roll your die, you get to reroll it if it lands on its max value and add the subsequent number to your roll. Dice can explode infinitely per RAW. This is why I said combat is unpredictable: theoretically a single damage roll could lead to infinite damage regardless of character progression.
>>
>>51580435
And I thought DnD's critical hits could get ridiculous, I can see why people don't like that, but it also seems easy to houserule away.

I think I'm leaning toward highly modified DnD or Savage Worlds at this point. Tell me, what are the vehicle rules like in that?
>>
>>51580830
Here, have a thing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEn12_m3y6uOW1zLVluYjJfTGs/view?usp=drivesdk
>>
>>51580878
Thanks, this seems pretty detailed. I'm accustomed to the rules about vehicles being very nebulous and ill-defined, so this could work out very well for a setting more focused on characters who use vehicles fairly frequently and often in combat.
>>
Wasn't Spirit of the Century invented for this? Or FATE Core with Kerberos Club.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.