[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most important things for running an Operator Game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

What are the most important things for running an Operator Game? My players are clamouring for it but the pre-campaign talk that we had wasn't exactly helpful. We agreed that the campaign would be best done as a Mission-by-mission ordeal with a looser narrative tying it all together. We're going to be using Dark Heresy 2nd edition for our ruleset, though that's not too big a factor as I'm after more general tips, not necessarily setting-specific stuff.

So far what I've locked down on is:
>Combat focus
The missions will each be a set-piece with an emphasis on combat, breaching and clearing room by room. There'll be infrequent Stealth/Espionage oriented missions too, stealing data or assassinations and such.
>Detailed maps
We play on Roll20 and with dynamic lighting and such, I'll be able to artistically craft maps with tactical opportunities and the like. The players would be able to check these maps out (albeit with less detail) prior to each mission so that they can craft plans and such.
>Callsigns, gadgetry
This is where I break down a bit, are daft Callsigns a key part of Operating Operationally? Gadgets the players can sort out for themselves by acquiring them prior to each mission, I'm expecting neat use of sound-muting Stummers, radio hacking Vox-thieves and the like to listen in on enemy communications.

What else can you guys suggest? That looks like it's enough to me but I'm sure I've missed something out.
>>
I've played a couple of OPERATOR games, a mix of ground combat and planes&mercs. I've never considered callsigns to be that important - half the time, you'll all be referring to each other by your real names anyway.

As a matter of fact, my group's most recent DH game took a turn for the OPERATOR when the GM developed a fondness for having cunts in fortified positions lob grenades at us.
>>
>>51576745
Read up to the point where you're the most educated individual in the group regarding operators operating.

Otherwise, this is just going to be a circle-jerk of people correcting each other with "that's not what a real operator would do."
>>
>>51576812

In addition to this, you can brush off any attempted correction by saying "Well maybe that's how they do it today, but in the Imperium it's different".

Yes, it's a bit of a cop-out. It's also a totally valid point.
>>
If it's 80's, radio discipline. In certain parts, when they the need calls for it, any OOC talk will be interpreted as breaking radio silence and alert the enemy. Somebody did this for a game we were in during the operating phase and it really did set the mood.
>>
>>51576745
I'd say you need an operation, first.
>>
>>51576745

Houserules for Dark Heresy 2E that make acting in an Operator manner desirable.
>>
>>51576745
Don't sweat realism too much. Operating irl is boring as fuck
>>
>>51577700

There was a quote I read once in a Horrible Histories book that went along the lines of "If you want to experience what it's like to fight a war, go out into your back garden and dig a hole. Wait for the hole to fill up with rain. Then sit in the hole for 12 straight hours."
>>
>>51577732
This reminds of the 'The Viz's top tips. It had stuff like

>Soldiers, if you want to know what it's like to sit in a hole in your garden half full of water, simply stay in your trench for 12 hours.
>>
>>51576793
>>51576837
>>51577700
I'd say most of my games tend to be pretty removed from realism, I prefer to run things based on the rule of cool without things getting too outlandish.
>>51577100
I like this idea alot.
>>
>>51576745
In my opinion the most important thing is to make combat fluid, dynamic and lethal. Don't make the game too simulationistic, it will brake the pace and the ambient.

Next important thing is equipment. There should be enough equipment to make the players happy (guns, optics, NVGs, breaching charges, grenades, cameras, detectors...).
>>
And UAVs.
>>
>>51578740
I'm currently planning to use Dark Heresy 2e which has the potential to be pretty lethal, I suspect that ample use of breaching charges and smoke/flash grenades will impose enough positive modifiers to hit to keep combat pretty fast too.
>>
>>51577100
I dig this
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.