[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think there's a particular time period or setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 150206.jpg (730KB, 720x3227px) Image search: [Google]
150206.jpg
730KB, 720x3227px
Do you think there's a particular time period or setting that is 'correct' for D&D?
>>
>>51573262
Every official settings for DnD is shit. Fight me.
>>
>>51573262
DnD is good for monster slaying and dungeon exploring of any time period and setting with a few re fluffing here and there.
Only when you take it out of those two main activities will the cracks start to show.
>>
>>51573271
I used to think like this but actually they all have enough Good Stuff that each is completely fine.
>>
>>51573313
>this dumb lie

That hasn't been the case for decades. It's just a new meme that people are trying to spread to try to get people to stop playing D&D and to play their less popular games.

How about you stop lying about what D&D can or can't do, and spend more of your time figuring out how to promote your system without alienating the largest player base?
>>
>ywn get 5e versions of the HR setting primers
>>
File: 1430096569052.jpg (1MB, 1924x2599px) Image search: [Google]
1430096569052.jpg
1MB, 1924x2599px
>>51573262
>time period
Each edition has a "current date" for most major material planes.
>setting
Each edition has a primary setting.

As far as it matters, I like 5E's default the most. A combination of the greater Planescape with the prime material plane being Abeir-Toril, sprinkled with a few of the better 4E additions. It has pretty much everything I like.
>>
>>51573721

5e's Wheel has too many planes. Why do we need both a Positive Plane and a Feywild, and both a Negative Plane and a Shadowfell?

Too much separation of planes is what leads to "The Positive Energy Plane is nothing but radiance, people exploding due to overhealing, soul fonts, healing centers, and... nothing else."
>>
>>51573765
What should the Positive Energy Plane be like?
>>
>>51573765
The positive plane is not a place to live. It's a Zoroastrian field of resplendent, burning pureness. There are no cities, no permanent sentient inhabitants, only the occasional planar travelers stopping by for their own business, and alien energons drifting through the limitless light.
You can actually live in the feywild. There is a civilization there, of fey obviously.

The Negative plane does have a single city, in contrast, but it is inhabited exclusively by undead. The Shadowfell, however, is more like 2E's and 3E's Plane of Shadow, which already existed alongside the Negative (Energy) plane. It has much more inhabitants and civilization, features and locales.

The purpose of these transient, empty over-planes, then, is to be points of only cosmic and never personal relevance. The Great Wheel is shaped the way it is because those planes are in both a literal and metaphorical array with each other.
The reason the upper planes are heavenly and the lower planes are hellish is due to their metaphysical proximity with the Positive and Negative planes, forming a great Zoroastrian dynamic between the whole damn multiverse. All of life, the universe, and everything can be said to be the interplay of Positive and Negative.
>>
>>51574170
I thought the Positive and Negative Planes created an interaction force that provided the momentum to actually turn the Great Wheel.

If you come back to this post to say that's retarded and the Great Wheel doesn't actually turn you can just kill yourself and save the bother.
>>
>>51574170
Nah, man. You're right about most of this, but the positive and negative planes are inner planes, not outer ones, and, unlike the outer planes, they have no moral connotation. In fact, apart from some possible idiosyncratic portals, the the lower planes and the negative plane don't even connect, as outer planes lack ethereal connection and inner ones lack astral ones (an "ordinal plane" connecting the outer and inner planes and accessible only by gods and other such exotic things has been proposed, but I don't think the idea ever went anywhere). The energy planes are more like elemental planes than the various hells and whatnot. Just as the elemental planes embody the matter that comprises the cosmos the positive and negative planes provide the forces that drive it (thesis and antithesis, that sort of thing), particularly with regard to life.

The Great Wheel is "shaped" the way it is, to the extent that it is shaped like anything, because of the conceptual correlations and oppositions of good, evil, law, and chaos. It is, however, that the planes do not physically exist the way they are conceptualized in the Great Wheel model, though that model is indeed a good way to look at it and is reinforced by the structure of things like the Great Road and (to a lesser extent due to the inherent wonkiness of spatial relations in the Outlands) the gate-towns.

>>51575463
That's a pretty good way of looking at it.
>>
>>51575795
Yeah, to be fair, Positive and Negative have NEVER been treated as being anything like the Feywild and the Shadowfell.
(It's an interesting idea, though.)
Honestly, one of the great failings of Planescape was that there were so many places that they couldn't figure out anything interesting to do there...and yet, rather than table them until inspiration struck, they wrote them anyway.
Dozens of pages that boil down to 'this place will kill you, don't go there.'
>>
>>51573569
Let's run a little challenge then.

Run a D&D campaign that's about political intrigue.
>Hard Mode: Do so w/o giving martials additional skill points and proficiency in non-physical skills.
>Nightmare Mode: Do so w/o making the nobles immune to mind-altering magic or scrying.
>Dante Must Die Mode: Do so w/o banning magic classes like Cleric or Wizard.
If you can do all this then I'll concede that D&D can be used for anything under the sun.

However, I suspect that you'll fail and make an ass out of yourself.
>>
>>51573271
Eberron. 3.5 and 4e books Eberron, not the vidya.
>>
>>51579905
>Play with party of Rogues
>have limitless hijinks forging official documents, disguised agents committing false flag assassinations, using weak magic items to outflank enemies, and running from stand up fights
>characters still distinguished by skill selection, abilities, and class options

The experience wouldn't be substantially different from some other game where characters are mainly distinguished by point buy skills.
>>
>>51581442
The only problem that I can see with this type of campaign is that nobody would want to play in a party where everyone has the same class abilities as everyone else, especially when Rogues are already on the low-end of martial classes.

The other problem concerns mages, who have way more utility than a Rogue can offer while also having access to spells that outright render the bulk of skills useless.

Not to mention, if you banned mages so that they don't exist then you won't have easy access to magic items. Also, if they have magic items to "outflank enemies" then they'd theoretically have access to magic items that can detect lies or keep tabs on nobles, which ruins the bulk of a political intrigue campaign since half the fun is figuring out who did it and what for.

So all in all, you passed Hard Mode but you still failed to achieve Nightmare or Dante Must Die Mode.
>>
File: TheDreadful.jpg (583KB, 720x3253px) Image search: [Google]
TheDreadful.jpg
583KB, 720x3253px
>>51573262
Is there a time and a place that's correct for Tieflings in slutty nurse outfits?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.