[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 33

File: 1485997202005.jpg (71KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
1485997202005.jpg
71KB, 383x498px
"Roboute Guilliman appears in your game" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Tell us about your leaders. Inquisitors, IG commanding officers, Rogue Traders, whatever your Marines and heretics work with. What are they like?
>>
How many deaths do you average per Only War session, on the PC side?
at least one, right?
>>
>>51564922
The last OW game I was in had more PC deaths from player turnover than actual combat. Was pretty disappointing when I joined on the communicated expectation of lethal combat, then found PCs were bubble-wrapped and the GM was reducing NPC damage just in case.
>>
>>51565004
I had one of those go on for too long, too. I eventually quit after none of us had even taken a wound that I didn't intentionally neglect my save against... in ten sessions. As Guard with regular flak armor and no vehicle.
>>
Combat isn't that bad if you know how to use cover, suppressing fire, and grenades. And you know when to scramble.
>>
how do you deal with players all taking inescapable attack when you're majoritively sending them against monsterous beasts (they're on a deathworld) that don't use cover?
>>
>>51565193
Make the thing toughs enough to take the attacks? It is a deathworld, they should be pretty damn lethal.
>>
>>51564922
Six session 3 characters deaths.

They've gone through ALOT of comrades though.
>>
What's everybody's favourite enemies for Rogue Trader?
>>
>>51565412
I always make them fight Necrons.

But meme aside, I'm fond of the Yu'Vath and their weird shit for something out of left field, or orks if you want to be straightforward.
>>
>rest of the party in DH is getting murderfucked by genestealer cult and going full horror movie
>I'm telling stories over the campfire to local soldiers having a great time
>>
>>51566547
What do you even do against stealers? Every fight against them in multiple campaigns ends with near tpki
>>
File: Lords of Bone.jpg (61KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lords of Bone.jpg
61KB, 400x500px
>>51565412
My favorite are Chaos Space Marines, for the following reasons:

A. My Rogue Trader and his gang of noble outlaws despise Chaos in all of its forms, yet are extremely xenophilic when it comes to making allies (though they are still very much, "Humanity First" in making deals, agreements, and alliances). As such, they are almost certainly going to fight them rather than attempt to buy them off or deal with them indirectly.

B. Chaos Marines are very tough to kill even for higher-level PC's, because the stats I use for them are basically "Space Marines 2.0" and throw in corrupting weapons and Daemonic artifacts when applicable. Furthermore, I can use a small number of them as champions and leaders for a gang of mortal pirates or renegades, or I can scale them up and use them as a full-on Warband of Marines with hordes of lesser mortals acting in concert.

C. When I run these extremely skilled enemies, I play them as they canonically are - extremely intelligent warriors with centuries if not millennia of experience, and who work so seamless as a group that it's almost as if they're a single machine (except when I run Khornate Berserkers or one particular Slaaneshi reaver band, because of their personalities). As such, they use every tactic in the book with extremely high-quality weapons and gear: if the PC's are behind cover, they will flank or flush them out with grenades; if the PC's can greatly out-shoot them, they'll either get in as close as fast as possible to negate that advantage or they'll pull back to better positions; they will use their own body mass to literally punch through obstacles like walls and rockcrete cover, creating new openings and flanking the PC's from unexpected angles; they will arm themselves to the teeth with the best gear they get that is appropriate for their mission; and they have absolutely no compunctions about collateral damage or anything resembling morality.

In essence, I play them as Anti-PC's.
>>
>>51564494
My awesome explorator pretty much makes it a rule that she refuses anything but "best quality" implants.

Recently two questions have come up:

She has a best quality Bale Eye, which means that it is impossible to detect with causal observation and even if detected it just looks like and extremely high quality augmentic eye. So if she is making eye contact with someone and uses it shouldn't they just automatically take a full hellgun magizine's worth of autofire to the head? It isn't like they can dodge, It is a best quality hellgun fired at point blank range with no warning and it can do autofire, assuming the targewt is just talking to her face to face and she lets rip i can't see how a mortal opponent would survive.

Second issue: Best quality Mind Impulse unit. Simple question: Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?
>>
>>51567144
Baleful eyes are automatic?
>>
File: Master of Deception.jpg (187KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
Master of Deception.jpg
187KB, 660x660px
>>51567144
>So if she is making eye contact with someone and uses it shouldn't they just automatically take a full hellgun magizine's worth of autofire to the head?

Automatically? I would say no. However, she'd get a shitlload of modifiers in her favor.

There's still a chance that the opponent can detect something last-minute, or that something catches her eye RIGHT as she fires, causing her to miss.

Also,

>Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?

Theoretically yes, but she'd have to make the Titan like her first. All war machines of the Imperium have Machine Spirits, and the Spirits of some machines, such as Knights, proper Titans, and Starships, are very overwhelming and in some ways almost self-aware. This is especially true of Knights, which retain mental echoes of previous Knight Pilots swirling around in their Spirits, to the point where it is entirely possible, and canonically does happen, for a Knight or other large machine to straight-up overpower the Pilot and operate almost on its own, doing whatever it wants regardless of the Pilots wishes (and usually the Pilot themselves is also sucked into it, wanting to do what the Spirit wants to do).

MIU's by their very nature operate both ways - it's entirely possible for a Machine Spirit or other artificial intelligence to force its own mind down the MIU and end up controlling the person, and this risk increases exponentially as the machines get more complex and larger in size to the point where starships and Titans are almost sentient entities in their own right.
>>
>>51567040

Toss phosphex, turn 360 degrees, and walk away. Let the problem solve itself.
>>
>>51567288
>Toss phosphex, turn 360 degrees, and walk away.

...into the phosphex?

Also, where the fuck did you get Phosphex from? That shit hasn't been around since the Heresy because it was literally sentient napalm with a murderboner, and even Destroyer squads were like "Eh..." about deploying it.
>>
>>51567040
Ready actions with weapons no less powerful than heavy bolters.
>>
>>51567144
>Having used a MIU to pilot a cruiser, would could she pilot a knight titan?
Probably not. The fluff is pretty vague on it, but the augmentations that Knight Scions go through in their rituals to be able to pilot Knight Armours imply that it's much more than a simple MIU. And since it lengthens their lifespan to hundreds, possibly thousands of years it most certainly is a lot more esoteric and involved.

On top of that, it also seems to be some kind of gene-scanner is built into the Throne Mechanicum to prevent people of the wrong bloodline (i.e, those not of a Knight House) to be unable to pilot a Knight Armour. And as >>51567284 mentioned, theres the psychic imprints of a Knight Scions ancestors in the Throne Mechanicum that may very well have severe objections to someone that is not their descendent trying to pilot their Knight Armour, as well as the Knight Armours own machinespirit.

Tl;dr It's complicated and somewhat vague. But probably not.
>>
File: cathship.png (151KB, 642x481px) Image search: [Google]
cathship.png
151KB, 642x481px
Could I ask for general tips on running Deathwatch? I'm running a 30k game(I was the one asking for space chaos dwarves last thread) and I've decided the basis of the first mission( Boarding action) but I'd like general pointers on how to go about stuff, because I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>51567350
>That shit hasn't been around since the Heresy
The STC to make Phosphex was destroyed as late as 009.M40 and may still exist in small quantities in armoriums across the galaxy.

t. Codex Skitarii
>>
>>51567114
...Are you me? Because that is exactly my mindset with CSM. You stole the words right out of my mouth, you magnificent bastard.
>>
File: Legion Glaive Tank.png (2MB, 1078x705px) Image search: [Google]
Legion Glaive Tank.png
2MB, 1078x705px
>>51567481

-Use the errata.
-Lower all Ground Vehicle, Spacecraft, and Walker armor by 5-7 front, side and rear. These armor values were balanced around pre-errata weaponry, and become hard to pierce with post-errata weapons. Skimmers and Drop Pods are fine.
-Use the errata.
-Retrofit some of the more useful weapon qualities from other lines, like LVS, Maximal, Melta, etc. Remove the 1d10 extra melta damage if you do this.
-Use the errata.
-Know that some careers are better than others. Assault Legionaries struggle, for instance, unless you make special accommodations. Librarians, a consul type in the Great Crusade, are fucking nuts.
-Illustrate clearly when assets are available, and know to balance combats when assets are summonable.
-Relics always make for fun missions. Try to personalize them for your players rather than digging through the books, to make that personal connection. Legionary relics in particular are highly sought after. Look to Horus Heresy Book 4 for some ideas.
-Don't allow Alpha Legion infiltrators.
-Try to give your players options in the missions, putting them in the position of power to choose. They get more involved if they get a say in mission selection, asset deployment, etc.
-USE THE GODDAMN ERRATA.

You can also try some of the stuff in the Great Crusade Testing Ground zip file. It's got four new specializations (breacher, seeker, recon, and destroyer), as well as an advanced spec, the Consul, plus new weapons and vehicles, from volkites to Fellblades. Breacher is the only one I've gotten feedback on so far. Ignore Destroyer - it's garbage and needs a rework. The Consul has been tested out, and does what it's supposed to, mostly. Otherwise the weapons should all be good, but adjust the points as you deem fit - that's a WIP document and none of the req costs really make sense.
>>
>>51567160
It counts as a best quality Hellgun. She can look at a motherfucker and deliver line of sight Space Marine armor shredding autofire in a literal blink of an eye.
>>51567284
>Automatically? I would say no. However, she'd get a shitlload of modifiers in her favor.

There's still a chance that the opponent can detect something last-minute, or that something catches her eye RIGHT as she fires, causing her to miss.

So they might detect a facial expression, a weird double blink, a subtle glow, a weird social clue, SOMETHING that screams to them 'you really need to duck right fucking now'

That makes sense, 40K has so many people with superhuman senses, psy abilities and so on that someone would get a hunch or detect some clue that a normal human would miss. Also gives her a almost fool proof heretic/xenos detector: If she looks someone eye to eye and they somehow avoid getting their head blown off by a point blank hellgun shot to the eye they are obviously enemies of the Imperium.

If they die they were obviously lax in their vigilance and thus enemies of the Imperium.

>Theoretically yes, but she'd have to make the Titan like her first. All war machines of the Imperium have Machine Spirits, and the Spirits of some machines, such as Knights, proper Titans, and Starships, are very overwhelming and in some ways almost self-aware. This is especially true of Knights, which retain mental echoes of previous Knight Pilots swirling around in their Spirits, to the point where it is entirely possible, and canonically does happen, for a Knight or other large machine to straight-up overpower the Pilot and operate almost on its own, doing whatever it wants regardless of the Pilots wishes (and usually the Pilot themselves is also sucked into it, wanting to do what the Spirit wants to do)...(ect)

She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.

cont.
>>
File: Black Crusade PC's.jpg (70KB, 570x390px) Image search: [Google]
Black Crusade PC's.jpg
70KB, 570x390px
>>51567542
Good to hear I'm not the only person who runs CSM as more than Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains.

Some other things I like to do while running them:

>Chaos Lords are not only extremely intelligent, but also have incredible willpower and ruthless drive and often can be extremely charismatic. Dealing with one is an incredibly difficult task without either spammed Plasma weapons, heavy ordinance, or weight of numbers, and that's just if it's him by himself. He will always have the best gear and be one of, if not the, best fighters of his group, and combine that with his intellect makes him an absolute monster to deal with.

>One major flaw of Chaos Marines, however, is their arrogance and disdain for anybody not them. This means that, intellect aside, they may sometimes be reckless and careless when dealing with mortals because they simply believe they aren't a "real" threat to them. It's possible to draw them out into traps (though once the trap is sprung they'll immediately respond with maximum force and bring out the rape train) if a commander plays his cards right and conceals his strength when dealing with them. However, once the enemy has proven himself to be deadly, this recklessness will often disappear.

>Chaos Marines possess hate and spite beyond anything PC's could imagine, and their memories are LONG. They are willing to destroy entire worlds purely to satisfy some perceived slight, and will go out of their way to annihilate anybody who draws their anger.

That said, I still like to remind the PC's these dudes are straight-up evil. During a session where the group was fighting Chosen in a street full of terrified and fleeing civilians, one of the Chosen literally picked up a passing child and threw it full-force at the Arch-Militant and knocked her on her ass. While she was knocked down, the Chosen buried her in Bolter shots from 3m away, and she had to burn a Fate point to survive. The child, of course, died horribly
>>
File: 1478919506278.jpg (297KB, 1324x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1478919506278.jpg
297KB, 1324x1000px
>>51567683
>She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.
>Imperator
An Imperator *TITAN*? One of these fuckhueg city-killing God-Machines? Smart girl, that machine spirit would probably have killed her.
>>
>>51567519

Why are you helping the newfag
>>
>>51567284
She is thinking of acking for a newly made knight in exchange for the Titan, she would be the first to imprint on it's machine spirt.

>>51567404
The augments a Knight pilot has are pretty trivial and basic, nothing like the units used to control starships or larger titans. The implants a Knight pilot has are less complex than a Space Marine uses to control his armor or a dreadnought. I find it hard to imagine that someone who could pilot a cruiser could't handle the machine spirit of a Knight, especially if they were the first pilot.

>theres the psychic imprints of a Knight Scions ancestors in the Throne Mechanicum that may very well have severe objections to someone that is not their descendent trying to pilot their Knight Armour, as well as the Knight Armours own machinespirit.

Which is exactly why she stayed the hell away from the Titans control throne.

While we are on the subject: Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way? It seems the less crew the harder a machine is to master. Is it because the crew form a psy gesalt so them more of them that accept the new commander the easier it is?
>>
>>51567683
>She was considering trying out the control throne of a Imperator but decided against it, it was kinda busted up and haunted.
Good move. Trying to control an Imperator solo would be like trying to catch a cannonball with your teeth, and would have about the same result.
>>51567786
>Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way?
They do. A cruiser's machine spirit is massively vast, and is fully capable of melting a person's brain out their tear ducts if it gets pissed. Most ships don't care enough to do that, some will, and most of the time you have over a dozen crew members helping share the strain.
>>
>>51567858

A Warlord is the smallest pattern of Titan that can be run by one dude, and even that is only for certain patterns of Warlord. Knights are the usual pattern, though, for one-dude operations.
>>
>>51567786
>The augments a Knight pilot has are pretty trivial and basic,
And you base that on what? Considering the implants that are surgically added to a Knight Scion in the Ritual of Becoming include neural imprinting that is not part of the MIU tech required to interface with a Voidship (I.E the MIU tech in the FFG books) and arguably does not seem to be there in the MIU tech Titan Princeps get implanted in them to be able to command Battle Titans. And on top of that, these same implants enhance the lifespan of a Knight Scion much like a rejuvenat treatment would. So no, they are not trivial or basic.

>Which is exactly why she stayed the hell away from the Titans control throne.
Are you talking about a Battle-Titan, a God-Machine of the Titan Legions? Or a Knight Armour? These things are very different in operation, size and scope.

>Why don't starships machine spirits reject people in the same way?
They do, but they're not really "sapient" in the same manner a Titans or Knight Armours machine spirit is so it's not really touched upon in the fluff IIRC.
>>
>>51567738
Actually i read the adventure book after the episode, it wouldn't have IF she didn't have such a good MUI. The Titan was so messed up it couldn't do a full mindlink.

Of course it was our DH party that found it and the RT group that picked it up. Well, secured it.

My reasoning was the Tech priest with the DH party couldn't achieve full communion with it but got messed up anyway, surviving without damage simply because he couldn't do a full link. Since my explorator has a best quality mind link unit she was terrified that she WOULD fully link with it fully and get her brain fried. Basically she is pretty sure he has the mental and physical hardware to pilot a titan but without experience, training and support personnel she would be fucked.

A newly manufactured Knight with no previous pilots, that she probably could handle hopefully.
>>
File: WHICH IS IT.jpg (293KB, 1377x917px) Image search: [Google]
WHICH IS IT.jpg
293KB, 1377x917px
>>51568031
>Actually i read the adventure book after the episode, it wouldn't have IF she didn't have such a good MUI. The Titan was so messed up it couldn't do a full mindlink.
Wat

>Basically she is pretty sure he has the mental and physical hardware to pilot a titan but without experience, training and support personnel she would be fucked.
>A newly manufactured Knight with no previous pilots, that she probably could handle hopefully.

Okay, seriously. Are you talking about someone trying to pilot an IMPERIAL KNIGHT aka KNIGHT TITAN aka KNIGHT ARMOUR aka KNIGHT ENGINE

*OR*

A BATTLE-TITAN aka A GOD-MACHINE OF THE COLLEGIA TITANICA aka A LIVING EMBODIMENT OF THE MACHINE GOD

Because you're using terms and names interchangably that make no sense and are confusing as fuck.

Tl;dr Nr1 or Nr2 what type of vehicle are you talking about?
>>
>>51567858
>They do. A cruiser's machine spirit is massively vast, and is fully capable of melting a person's brain out their tear ducts if it gets pissed. Most ships don't care enough to do that, some will, and most of the time you have over a dozen crew members helping share the strain.

So the strain is spread over many people. Which my Explorator would know.

>>51567899
Where is there a example of a warlord being run by one Dude? The only example i can think of is that Talarin short story, it was a chick and the Iron Warrior helped.

>>51567980
From all the HH stuff about Knights the Knights implants are very basic, primitive and barely understood by the medieval era people who use them. They can't even maintain a heavy stubber without outside help, they are a poor judge of technological ability.

>Are you talking about a Battle-Titan, a God-Machine of the Titan Legions? Or a Knight Armour? These things are very different in operation, size and scope.

She had a opportunity to sit in the throne of a God Machine motherfucking Emperor class Titan, she declined the opportunity. She is considering attempting to acquire a Knight Armor and wondering if she could handle it..
>>
>>51567040

It was just human cultists this time trying to get the party mind controlled by their genestealy psyker dude. Hilariously including the party Blank. Both sides were extremely confused when he looked into their "holy well" and just saw a sewer. "What am I supposed to be looking at? You people worship poo? Is this a Nurgle cult or something? You freaks are worshipping poo!"
>>
File: Kornheiser Psychic.jpg (43KB, 254x270px) Image search: [Google]
Kornheiser Psychic.jpg
43KB, 254x270px
>>51568195
>Where is there a example of a warlord being run by one Dude?

Warlord-Sinister Psi Titan, crewed by one Preceptor Intendant. The Psykers within are just batteries.
>>
>>51568172
Reading comprehension, you obviously don't have it.

Character had an opportunity to try out Emperor Class battle titan, decided not to as she isn't qualified.

Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.
>>
>>51568279
>Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.

That depends. If they trade it to the Mechanicum, that specific forge may force a House tied to that forge world to maybe allow for a Knight Trial. But then you'd become a part of that House. Unless you join them and then declare yourself a Freeblade, which might be okay. It all depends on how far you can push the Sidon Protocols in this case.
>>
>>51568195
>From all the HH stuff about Knights the Knights implants are very basic, primitive and barely understood by the medieval era people who use them. They can't even maintain a heavy stubber without outside help, they are a poor judge of technological ability.
Source that shit, because I recall fuckall of the HH books even mentioning that much detail about how to Knight and that much of a big contradiction with the fluff of the two 40k codexes (the only contradiction I can really recall is that GW says only dudes can be Imperial Knights, whereas FW has both male and female Imperial Knights).

>She had a opportunity to sit in the throne of a God Machine motherfucking Emperor class Titan, she declined the opportunity.
>>51568279
>Reading comprehension, you obviously don't have it.
It's five in the morning, I might be more retarded than usual. But you didn't exactly make it clear they were separate cases.

>She is considering attempting to acquire a Knight Armor and wondering if she could handle it..
Two questions: How? And from "whom"? Knight Houses seem very disinclined to part ways with pretty much the only thing that justifies their existence and is the foundation of their entire culture as a warrior society to an outsider. I could see it happening if she finds an suit and salvages it, but I highly doubt it would make her popular.

>Character is wondering if she could instead pilot a Knight Armor suit since her RT group owns the Emperator and can trade it for anything the hell they want, including a Knight suit and a fuckton of other stuff.
I mean, returning an Imperator to the fold of the Adeptus Mechanicus could net you a lot of snazzy shit. But a Knight Armour? Don't know to be fair. I'd be disinclined to it because of the massive gameplay imbalance in ground excursions, but thats about it. I'd say follow the rule of cool.

>>51568252
>Warlord-Sinister Psi Titan,
That's hardly a regular fucking Warlord, Shas.
>>
>>51568252
There must be tech priests, Astropathica personnel and attendants, otherwise the IoM just hijacked a Eldar Titan and disguised it. But we don't really know much about elite specialized Titan legions, some just boggle the mond. Forget Psy Titans, the warp runners are insane.

Warp Runners, full Imperial Titan Legion that specializes in deep strike teleport attacks
>Warp Runners
>Full titan Legion
>deep strike teleport attacks
>teleport attacks
>teleport
>Titans
>>
File: Gary Spivey, Psychic.jpg (35KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Gary Spivey, Psychic.jpg
35KB, 600x450px
>>51568369
>That's hardly a regular fucking Warlord, Shas.

It still counts as a Warlord. Sort of.

>>51568391
>There must be tech priests, Astropathica personnel and attendants
No. The psykers are bled as batteries for maintenance and repair (Necrotechnica), weapon systems, everything.

>otherwise the IoM just hijacked a Eldar Titan and disguised it.
They hijacked a Mars titan and stuck it in the Emperor's personal household. Slight difference.
>>
>>51568336
Logically the RT group would say:

"Fuck you we have a warrant of trade, Inquisitorial sanction, a partially functional Emperor Class Titan under our control protected by the Storm Wardens Chapter of Adeptus Astartes and it is ours. We want ( insert LENGTHY list of demands and trade agreements here ) and by the way, we want a newly manufactured Knight armor or you don't the Emperor Class Titan back.

>>51568369
>Knight Houses seem very disinclined to part ways with pretty much the only thing that justifies their existence and is the foundation of their entire culture as a warrior society to an outsider. I could see it happening if she finds an suit and salvages it, but I highly doubt it would make her popular.

Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does. She would avoid the houses entirely and just ask for one of the newly made suits. This is how new knight houses are made.

You did just make a bulb go on in my head though. Way for her to work that noble background: "Hey i just helped saved a Emperor Class Titan and if you want it back give me a Knight Suit and recognition as the head of a Knight household, just staple it as an addendum onto our Warrant of Trade."
>>
>>51568511
>Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does

Some do. Some don't.
>>
>>51568511

No one likes a bully, anon. That's a fast track to getting a warfleet on you.
>>
>>51568478
>No. The psykers are bled as batteries for maintenance and repair (Necrotechnica), weapon systems, everything.

Gonna need source for that. It is believable what with half the HH Iron Hands being literal undead but still need source.
>>
>>51565412

I like the Rak'Gol. Pure, destructive evil. They're great for when you just want a fight, and no matter how good the groups fellowship, or profit factor, or anything is, the Rak'Gol are gonna try and eat you.
>>
File: Psi Titan page 3 of 3.jpg (362KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Psi Titan page 3 of 3.jpg
362KB, 768x1024px
>>51568603

Literally came out yesterday.
>>
>finally inspired to run
>2 jobs and college, no time to run let alone prep

Feels bad. Tell me what happened in your last session guys.
>>
>>51568534
Well we wouldn't phrase it like that. Also we would make sure everyone got enough out of the deal so they wouldn't get angry. For instance:

The Rt Group has dealt with the Storm Wardens a few times in passing, once we helped them shoot up some Ork raiders. When the DH group just left the FUCKING EMPEROR CLASS Titan just standing on some random planet we secured it then called the nearest Marine chapter that we knew of to help with security.

We aren't bullying anyone, it is completely logical to call our local friendly space marine chapter who like us wants to secure this valuable god machine for the servants of mankind. The servants of mankind we can trust this God engine too.

We have a Rogue Trade fleet, a Marine Chapter, The Inquisition and a God Engine and all we want is to know who we should responsibly hand this thing over to. All we want is to see it in the right hands. Some of those hands have more money, power and toys than others. Honestly a single Knight Suit is minuscule compared to the Titan.
>>
>>51568634
Jesus fucking christ. What a monstrosity.

I like it.
>>
>>51568634
The psykers replace the moderatii, not the entire crew.

Also holy fuck that thing is horrifying.
>>
>>51568634
At least they didn't call it a Psi-tan.
>>
>>51569068
>>51568831
>>51568816
What is really scary is the implied use of the psy network to channel their energy into pariahs imprisoned inside the left hand ultimate fuck off gun.
>>
File: Legion Falchion art.jpg (399KB, 1648x656px) Image search: [Google]
Legion Falchion art.jpg
399KB, 1648x656px
>>51569272

As a Legionary, you have more ability to act as a human, since the training was shittier, you have more chances for individual personality and valor. The Stoic Personality-less Warrior Knight hasn't been established yet. There is no Inquisition, but there are the Knights Errant and Malcador. There are multi-legion operations. There is no ATSKNF - Spess Mareens can feel fear, and the full range of human emotions. That is why 30k is better for Deathwatch.
>>
>>51567481
>>51567662
Shas can provide you with alot of crunchy shit, none of it will help at all with the actual major issues with DW, so I'll provide you with some advice on the more esoteric.

Your entire party is essentially a group of sexless nigh uncorruptible paladins. This presents a host of issues that will come up depending on your group. Since you're setting it in 30k you avoid a major pitfall that most DW run into. Marines are treated with the utmost respect and deference but they are not viewed as the ordained children of god. They also fall into some sort of chain of command (correct me if I'm wrong) and don't have carte blanche to to whatever the fuck they want in a theatre of operation. One of my groups went full "Imperius Vult" on any Imperial that tried to impede the killteam, it was a goddamn nightmare.

Depending on the party they may get really bored of bug hunts really fast. Or it might be what they're used too and they're fine with it.

For every well thought out well planned mission they are going to be sent into:
>Orks have taken this space station. Assault via boarding torpedoes. Find primary computer core. Determine if core has been breached. Copy core. Scorch primary. Find and kill Mekboss if core has been breached. There is a Lord Magos and Navy High Captain, retrieve and/or liquidate them both.
There's going to be missions where the parameters are minimal:
>We think an Inquisitor's ship crashed on this planet. Planetary survey mentioned something about full on nuclear winter and some sort of radioactive signal that was moving under the frozen oceans but then the survey team vanished without a trace and we're not scheduled to send another one for three decades. Anyways find out if there was an inquisitor on that ship and bring them back.

I don't know if you're going to stick with the Ordos Xenos thing (because if it's 30k this will likely be on of the first Deathwatches EVER) or if you're going to just make them a specialized kill team.
>>
So, I'm considering starting up a Dark Heresy campaign, but I think I've got my starting point down. A "relatively easy" mission to an agri-world to apprehend a suspected heretic with a small library of daemonic tomes. The issue here for our dear acolytes is that the planet is set up as *huge* plantations, antebellum South-style, and the heretic in question is one of the major landowners, and they don't know *which* one it is. Might even make him the governor. I'm going to give them the opportunity to meet the guy at a yearly celebration (harvest festival of some sort?) held at the planetary governor's palace, a social route to run parallel to their investigation and, if needed, combat.

So here's where I need you guys. I'm a historian and I've got a fair bit to draw on from the antebellum South for setting... well, setting, and I've been around 40k for the better part of a decade, but characters and writing aren't things I'm best at. Anyone have some suggestions for the sort of personalities that might show up, whether in the enclaves of high society or out in the servitor-tended fields?
>>
>>51569319
Now the primary issue you're going to run into is, oddly enough, the level of competence that the Imperium actually has. In my mind part of the fun of all 40k RPGs is how 10,000 years of ritual and decay have been heaped ontop of everything. "Why do we do it like that? Because that's how we've always done it" is the mantra of almost every single Imperial organ (though in 30k it's the mantra of the AdMech). So you lose that aspect but gain alot more interaction between various factions.

Make sure, make sure, make sure, make sure your players understand their demeanor, the demeanor of their chapter, and how the chapters interact with each other. If one of the dour ass fucking Iron Hands is going to stay behind and sacrifice himself so the team can escape the Emperor's Child is going to be right their beside him because it would definitely get Fulgrim's nod of approval and you're going to be damned if some one handed dick gets called a hero for saving the mission before you do.

If you can (and it will be easier to do because of the nature of 30k joint operations) give the players different secret secondary objectives. (There's a webway portal on a planet, go destroy it, but Magnus realllllly wants one of those crystals, so try to get one for him.) Don't overdo it and don't give everyone one every single mission, but they're fun especially if they are contrary to each other.
>>
>>51569556
Should also look at Hawaii plantation times if there is anything regarding the personalities of owners on the internet.
>>
>>51569556
Feast of the Emperor's Ascension. It happens to coincide with the first major harvest of the year. Big big party.

>personalities
Local labor leader. Campaigning for workers rights since unemployment is through the roof since all those servitors took over the harvesting. Professes non-violent opposition and campaigning, decries the rebel elements of his movement (essentially Luddites) who attack AdMech servitor reclamation facilities and repair depots but is secretly their leader.
>>
>>51569639
>Feast of the Emperor's Ascension
Good call. Also like the labor leader.

>>51569595
There might be, but not a ton, honestly, from what I'm seeing.
>>
>>51569568
>in 30k it's the mantra of the AdMech

In 30k the Mechanicum do like to innovate and fuck around with things. That's where we get Photon weaponry, Battle Automata, that sort of thing.

>make sure your players understand their demeanor, the demeanor of their chapter, and how the chapters interact with each other

Remember, even though each Legion had a rough outline, the Chapters within each legion could really be different.
>>
Why can space marines spit acid?

Why are Grey Knight Librarians considered so great when their disciplines are worse than the Primaris Psyker ones?
>>
Just finished Ultramarines. Who the fuck was flying the ship and why the fuck was it just the three of them killing the demon captain.
>>
Well. Tomorrow my players reach Mars and holy Terra to inform the emperor that his webway engines work. Should be fun.
>>
>>51570293
During the creation of a space marine, a special organ called a Betcher's Gland is implanted, which allows the space marine to spit acid and bite through metal. The Emperor thought this would be funny or something.
>>
Is it just me, or does someone else also think that new fluff now comes in a little TOO FAST?
I'm lagging behind trying to comprehend everything with all this retarded shit like Cadian fall and xeno-resurrected primarchs.
>>
>>51572388
Well technically the xeno-resurrected Primarch fluff doesn't get released until March, and we haven;t even had book two of three in that series yet. Leakers are just too good for GW.
>>
>>51571719
>The Emperor thought this would be funny or something.

So there is no reason besides spitting acid being baller as fuck
>>
>>51568511
>Houses don't make the suits, the AdMech does.
Like Shas said, some do some don't. And you're forgetting the feudal political nature of the Imperium. People REALLY don't like sharing their toys and making a Knight Armour for someone not of a Knight House is a surefire way of causing some very severe political consequenses for whoever does it.

Like seriously, the Knight Houses are not some primitive assholes with their heads up their own butts. They're clever political players with a high tech base (thanks to their Sacristans) who use the fact that they're continuous societies from the DAoT and generally has access to a shitload of archaeotech to their own advantage in the relationships they have with other factions in the Imperium. These people are valuable as shit and a Forgeworld would be very wary of jeopordizing their relationship with whatever Knight Houses they trade with, even if it's something as "no brainer" as trading a Knight Armour for a Imperator titan.

So keep that in mind if they want to trade a Knight Armour for an Imperator.

>This is how new knight houses are made.
AFAIK Knight houses aren't made or founded, they're rediscovered and integrated.
>>
File: 1473389351525.png (754KB, 1127x444px) Image search: [Google]
1473389351525.png
754KB, 1127x444px
I'm thinking of running a 30k DeathWatch campaign starting right after the Massacre of Istvann V. The players will choose from the loyalosts there and evade patrols and eventually escapr while picking up what loyalists they think they can trust. Gonna be pretty deadly I think and as more NPCs are encountered they'll be able to pick new legions to play from. Is this a realistic approach to 30k and sound like it would be fun to play in?
>>
>>51575045
Sounds interesting
>>
I've never seen a black named character in 40k

Is the Imperium racist?
>>
File: Jonah Orion.png (3MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Orion.png
3MB, 1440x900px
>>51575467
>Is the Imperium racist?
Yes. Xenophobia is one of the Imperium staple traits and mankind is officially the god-chosen race, destined to rule the galaxy by divine right, while abominable xenos must all be eradicated.
>>
>>51575603
That's speciesist or xenophobic

I meant racist in the Ku Klux Klan sort of way
>>
>>51575615
Not typically, unless you count abhumans or mutants
>>
>>51575467
Codex Catachan has them on the cover. Nocturnans are black even more Salamander Geneseed turns them hexadecimal code #000000 black
>>
>>51575615
In this way, only witches and heretics are burned.
Otherwise - no. They've allow abhumans like ratlings and ogryns. Catfolk felinids and so on.
Nobody cares about niggers in those dark times. Not that there are many niggers anyway, vast majority of people are portraited as whiteish, so you might as well rule out major black extermination in the days prior to the imperium.
As of note, FFG RT books show that there are chinks in the Imperium and even withing rich ranks of rogue traders.
>>
>>51575660
Oh, named characters. Outside of salamanders there's Inquisitor Toth and Librarian Orion. OR your character, since this is RPG general
>>
>>51575467
Celestial Lions are probably African considering their Chapter Master is Ekene Dubaku
>>
>>51575749
What's up with the name?
>>
>>51572749
Seems like a pretty good idea in close quarters really. Imagine if someone has pinned you down, disarmed you or is bearhugging you. Or just watch Alien.
>>
>>51575693
>Not that there are many niggers anyway, vast majority of people are portraited as whiteish,
Well, yeah. It's a setting made by white British nerds, of course they defaulted to "everyone is white". Plus, most people live in completely sunless environments: Hive cities, mining colonies, voidships, etc. 5-20k years of that is plenty to flush now-unecessary melanin out of the local gene pool just by natural evolution. Only populations baked under intense natural sunlight and heat for thousands of years develop/need black skin, and those populations are in a distinct minority in the Imperium.
>>
>>51576188
>Plus, most people live in completely sunless environments
Well, nah.
There are plenty of agri-wordls, temperate worlds, shrine, paradise and various moderately sunny death worlds, along with a feral and feodal worlds.
Besides that, white people do not suddely evolve into niggers with jet-black sin and flappy lips when exposed to the sun. Even some generations of those living in the sunny areas.
>>
>>51576314
>There are plenty of agri-wordls, temperate worlds, shrine, paradise and various moderately sunny death worlds, along with a feral and feodal worlds
And hive worlders and voidborn muscle them out by numbers, because hive populations are absolutely fucking bananas.
>Besides that, white people do not suddely evolve into niggers with jet-black sin and flappy lips when exposed to the sun. Even some generations of those living in the sunny areas.
Of course not, jackass. It takes literally thousands of years for ethnic drift to kick in that hard. Many, many, many of those worlds you mentioned were originally settled in the Dark Age of Technology, and that is over 20k years in which that can happen.
>>
>>51571074
>fixed the webway
Emperor, how
>>
>>51564494
>"Roboute Guilliman appears in your game"
Considering that our game takes place in the pimply, blackened ass-end of the Eastern Fringe not that far from the Ultramar region, and our stellar region is such a hive of heresy, minor empires, weird fucking xenos, heresy, ragged frontiers, naked empire-building among loyalist factions, and heresy that it probably drives Calgar to drink...Guilliman returning would be either hilariously good or horrifically bad for the entire region.
>>
>>51569313
Hey, Shas'o, I just want to let you know, that your campaigns are being translated to russian. People was much impressed when I shared them, so some guy desided to translate them for linguistically impared comrades.

Enjoy your international acclaim.
>>
>>51569313
>>51578250
http://pikabu.ru/profile/JusticeZZ
and the link
>>
>>51568675
The GM claims to prefer 70% investigation but in this, the first session, there was nothing to investigate, only a series of combats linked together by tenuous story of an "Inquisitorial" Black Ship (claimed to be the same type of ship which collects psykers, they're not the same) being attacked and boarded by teleporting Tzeentch sorcerers and their cultist buddies. We were given no incentive to take prisoners.

They had a Spawn. It took a long time for it to die. Long enough by damage rolls high enough that i suspect its actual Regeneration trait to have been fudged.

The door wasn't big enough for two people to fit. The party tank therefore shoved the TB2, lightly armored Desperado into the room to face down two autogun turrets with what seemed to be amusingly high BS for automated weapons. There was nothing to take cover behind from which to put up an effective fight against them.

Our GM's techpriest NPC is not communicative, so it only became evident he knew a way to shut down all the turrets after he did so (before which two characters had burnt fate). We have seven goddamned PCs, one of whom is the GM's girl, playing a rogue Psyker, and, I suspect, our healer character, which we were sorely missing this encounter.

His hints about future sessions brought Rak'gol to mind.

Various costly rules mistakes (automatic fire hit the same area six times instead of some hitting areas with higher armor).

How can I, a player, try to influence this game towards investigation without coming across as overbearing?
>>
>>51578721
>We have seven goddamned PCs

>one of whom is the GM's girl

Get out, especially if you mean there's "just" seven psykers instead of the party having seven members.
>>
>>51575467
The Imperium isn't, but GW has dealt with less and less if the non-white parts of the setting and characters over time.
>>
>>51568675
We finally united all the slaves with the promise that those who die for the True Gods will rise again, and now we're on our way to a full-scale slave revolt.

>Do you hear the people sing?

Desperately hoping we don't end up where they did.
>>
File: 500px-Vulkan_sketch[1].jpg (62KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Vulkan_sketch[1].jpg
62KB, 500x443px
>>51579988
Black characters are a bitch to paint, too.
Same with the b&w pictures that make up a good chunk of 40k's art. Vulkan is supposed to be charcoal black, yet it's not obvious when you look at the sketch.

Dunno if a lot of characters have canonically fair skin either; it usually doesn"t come up in battle stories.
>>
Hey so last night i just finished running the mission that comes with deathwatch, extraction, it went pretty good and my players said overall it was a fun session.
But I felt like my devastator marine is really strong, he totally just decimated my Tyranid shrikes, in 1 round he pretty much sent it to critical damage.
Is there something I'm forgetting to account for in damage, or are the devastators really supposed to be that op?
In that case, what can I do to make the party more balanced?
>>
So I'm a newbie in all respects to game mastering, and my soon-to-be players have a hard on for using miniatures for Only War, but I feel 28mm wont let me capture the scale of the game properly

Has anyone tried playing using 6mm miniatures? (the same scale as Warhammer epic)
>>
In a dark heresy-like roleplay. The everyone prefered lulz to immerson so I choosed a Joakero named Wingston as helper.

Only lasted one plasma shoot. I named the next one Harambe.
>>
>>51581090
pure

undiluted

cancer
>>
>>51579936
Party of seven, GM's girl is rogue Psyker (I think, GM hasn't given a party breakdown), she skipped first session.

But sounds that bad, huh?
>>
>>51564494
Has anyone ever homebrewed the base system into something else or taken the setting and done it in a different game? I got some players who hate percentile and am trying to cater.
>>
>>51582164
Did they only play D&D and/or pathfinder?
>>
>>51582314
Yeah, a fair bit in the past. They tend to go on about needing to min-max in FF 40k in order to pass even simple checks and how the system is built on continues failure and i just really don't wanna deal with it. But i need players.
>>
>>51575467
>Is the Imperium racist?
As an organization, no, not as we understand it. As long as you are genetically human or an approved Abhuman (which deviate pretty far from base humanity, because there are a lot of features that "normal" 40K humans can have that we today would consider freak mutations, like elongated canines, night-vision, webbed hands and feet, etc.) they don't care what you look like, as long as you fight, fuck, fabricate, and die for the emperor.

That said, local hatreds and prejudices are absolutely a thing, and quite common given the natural disparity of the different human races in 40K. Catachans view anybody who isn't a Catachan as a weak-willed idiot who can't wipe his own ass with both hands, Cadians view themselves as being "the elite" of mortal infantry - and by extension other human races, Mordians view anybody who isn't as draconian as they are to be undisciplined dogs little better than cannon fodder and not much else - and that's only at the interplanetary level.
>>
Is there Horus Heresy stuff for DW yet? The OP says it has stuff for Rogue Trader
>>
>>51581506
Yes.
>>
>>51568634
We be demon-titans, now!
>>
>>51583492

Look for the Great Crusade Testing Ground zipfile. It's got some good stuff, but the req costs are all fucked up.
>>
>>51569313
>That is why 30k is better for Deathwatch
Except, y'know, every marine is basically THE SAME DUDE since they have not had 10,000 years to develop their unique chapter personalities...
Seriously, that was dumb. There is FAR more room to maneuver in 40k - I mean, that's the whole point of the 40k setting..........
>>
File: 175804_1294291748_large.jpg (473KB, 1600x708px) Image search: [Google]
175804_1294291748_large.jpg
473KB, 1600x708px
Anyone have some resources for how to start a colony? Looking to do so in a rogue trader session and I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
>>
>>51584359
Mechanically or thematically? Stars of Inequity has stuff for it.
>>
>>51584450
I just don't know where to start at all apart from "hey lets start a colony somewhere!"

I'll check out that book though
>>
>>51580673
Are you using the errata?

If not, that's your problem.
>>
I've noticed in the leaked hh book that geedubs is retconning again: the 10,000 warriors who teleported up to Horus' bb have been misinterpreted as being all custodes. This was not the case originally - but now, it seems, the custodes number 10,000. And they're all immortal giants, I guess; but that's not as troubling.
>>
>>51584312

There are more differences between legionaries within the same legion than there are differences between marines of different chapters.
>>
>>51585973
Why? Because geedubs said so? But does that make actual sense?? No. No it doesn't.
>>
>>51586036
Why not? There's less indoctrination so there's far less standardization in mentality within a particular unit. I feel the bigger issue is the way marine culture is portrayed by GW vs FW. A chapter in 40k is portrayed as 1,000 guys with the same mindset fitting a fairly tight stereotype. It's wrong, but it's how readers get introduced to them. FW makes the effort to explain that every personality type and specialist exists in (almost) every legion and they can be mixed and matched to make a huge variety of characters.
>>
How do you like to start off a new campaign in your game of choice?
>>
>>51586226

Well I don't feel it works that way, so it doesn't. Your status: BTFO.
>>
>>51584513
Well, if I recall correctly, it's a collection of random tables list for potential habbenings to the colony.
Basically, you shoop da whoop a starting module into a world Randomnamus and start expanding on it.
Even without this book, it's not that hard to imagine what it would take to establish.
Also fuck you. Why people like you have games and I don't?
>>
>>51586226
The general personality of the mehreens are also affected by gene-seed in a manner similar to the skin and hair pigmentation. Extreme examples are the Blood Angels' gene flaw.
Also I believe that "no standartization" to be extreme kind of bullshit, since it's a fucking army, everyone must fit as close as possible.
Differences would be more pronounced withing units trained in different worlds.
>>
File: 1481251036279.jpg (43KB, 479x422px) Image search: [Google]
1481251036279.jpg
43KB, 479x422px
I really want to start a game of Dark Heresy (1st edition since it's what I own). Is the adventure at the end of the first edition book even fun to run?
Keep in mind I'm new to the game and my players are new to 40k in general.
>>
>>51588859
It's a pretty solid introductory adventure. Some of the "read this to the players" parts are a bit wordy, but it's enjoyable, and a good introduction to how a typical DH adventure should run.
>>
File: BFG.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BFG.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
So me and my Rogue Trader crew were spelunking in a space hulk when we came across some dead space marines; and the bodies were preserved well enough that the gene-seed's probably still good. I want to give the bodies back to their chapter (hopefully recieving a hefty reward), but they're Dark Angels. How can I do this without being killed for potentially knowing too much?
>>
>>51589093
Sounds like it's time to sell that shit to heretics and run for the border
>>
>>51588859
It's very fun although the end boss can be impossible to beat if your players simply attempt to keep hitting it to death. If your players are not the type to think, then be careful.

I honestly would recommend the free adventure, Edge of Darkness as a starter for new players. It's an intro adventure that happens to be one of the best written in my opinion that really sells the everyday grimness that low level Dark Heresy characters wade through. It's not chaos fucking shit up, or anything like that: you're just picking through a dying part of Hive Sibellus trying to find out exactly what the vulture picking at it's corpse is, and it conveys exactly why I enjoy low level Dark Heresy.
>>
>>51589093
yeah, no, they're gonna fuck you up for sure. you could try taking them to a slightly less psychotic chapter (good luck with that) and letting them sort it out inter fratres.

or just recover the wargear and forget the gene seed. there'd be plenty of takers for power armour and weapons
>>
Fluffwise, what happens to a sister in 2e when they hit 100 insanity?
>>
>>51590725
Same thing that happens to everyone else.

>The higher these scores, the more tainted, damaged, and debilitated a character becomes, and should either of these scores ever reach 100, the character is either slain by his Inquisitor or fellow Acolytes for his own good, or falls from grace and becomes an enemy of Mankind.
>>
>>51584803
So Sanguinius teleported without his blood angels?
>>
>>51589539
>worried about giving marine corpses to dark angels being enough to piss them off
>advocates selling their armor to the highest bidder

Expect a knock on your door from a friendly chap in green with a bolter.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (10KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
10KB, 214x235px
So I'm about to play my first game of Dark Heresy 2nd edition with a group of 4. So far we have one player who wants to be the ace driver and get in tanks, another player who wants to dual wield and shoot guns from an attack bike and the third player doesn't know what they want. Well I was thinking I would play am adeptus sororitas with the seeker role so we have some utility investigating ability. So I what to asked how you guys would recommend making my character to help the party and any advice in general. I would prefer to go with a more formal sister idea and go with flamer/bolter/melta weapons or even a melee sister with a eviscerator and cleave people in have, but this is everyone's first game and I'm the only one with knowledge of the 40K world. So either sister of battle building advice or general advice would be nice
>>
>>51570293
>Why can space marines spit acid?
So they can chew on metal bars/handcuffs/walls/enemies faces. Isn't it beatiful?
>>
>>51565193
What are these monstrous beasts, and more important what are your players equipped with, that it is such a problem?
You are the same faggot posting about the same "problem" again that is resolved each time with "No, the pcs being not shit at combat isn't a problem".
>>
>>51589093
How do your characters know shit about shit like chapters and geneseeds?
>>
>>51568634
This makes my cock swell with thoughts of rapine and plunder.
>>
>>51591692
Sounds like your group is just below loudly announcing that you're inquisition.
>>
>>51570293
>Why can space marines spit acid?
Betcher's Gland.
>Why are Grey Knight Librarians considered so great when their disciplines are worse than the Primaris Psyker ones?
Because they exercise more control over them, can use them with more reliability, and TT is not the measure of a units effectiveness.
>>
What do your PCs do when they're between big stuff to do? What do your players have the PCs do to pass time between plot events when they really have nothing to do and the party is just sitting around roleplaying without much purpose.

For my group it's some combination of trying out guns on the range, chatting with NPCs, character development and working on relationships, planning future moves and dirty dirty sex.
>>
>>51582426
You need players, anon.
Not those players.
Further, they have drank the kool-aid about 40k rpgs.
If you aren't giving them bonuses for things that are not actually a problem, and they are not doing what they can to get those bonuses (likely if they are coming from a 3.PF background), they are playing the game wrong, because they don't know how to play anything except 3.PF.
>>51581506
Dude, run.
>>
>>51584803
I wouldn't trust the leak unless it's an ENTIRE book.
Too easy to shop a few pages.
>>51590725
They are retired to the Repentia, anon.
It makes sense if you know the nature of the Sororitas.
>>
>>51591692
You aren't a battle sister until you reach 50 influence and buy the advance.
Remember that Sororitas are more than kill/maim/burn heretics. Hospitaler, Famulous and Dialogus are both options for a typecast to follow.
The ace player is going to be mightily disappointed when his idea doesn't work out, so simply pity him. The second dude can do that and still do some social/perceptive work.
I always work on an idea that I will have primary/secondary/tertiary skills.
Such as Primary=Face/Secondary=Shooty/Tertiary=Intelligence. Have Fellowship and Social aptitudes for good face work, Ballistic for my shooty, Intelligence for the many brainy skills and talents.
>>
>>51565462
One of the better ideas for the Yu'Vath (wish I'd saved it) I've read is that they're not a race in the conventional sense. The other person did a much better job of laying out the idea, I sadly do not do it justice, and it's been at least a few years since I read it (can't even remember if it was here or the FFG forums).

They're the Halo Devices, in that their 'soul' lives inside them or simply that the corrupted monsters that they turn people into are what the Yu'Vath were back during the Angevin Crusade. So numerous that they established their own empire.

I wish my GM would throw the Rak'Gol at us, we've never had them show up in any of the games we've played. I suppose partly because we never go near their area of space and he usually has bigger threats than them show up anyway (necrons, daemons, Alpha psykers, and genestealers being a few). But I'd still like to show those big lizards the might of the Imperial guns. My next RT is a former Naval Captain flying a Cruiser, so he'd certainly be happy to do it.
>>
>>51592738
My last character spent the whole month drunk as hell, hitting on the giantess sororitas and attempting grab ass on the noble outcast.
It was fun, I made a bet with the sororitas that I could pick up more chicks in a bar than she could.
Never had a chance to find out, tho, makes me sorta sad.
>>
>>51565151
Exactly, stay the hell down.

Unless you do the thing where you intentionally make a more primitive regiment of axe wielding killers doing forward recon, with only an axe, shield, Laspistol, and demo charges.

Im running that right now. Yeah some people die, especially when they get caught, but they've been clever and lucky enough to usually catch small groups unaware and blow up some targets of opportunity as well as their objectives
>>
>>51568391
>teleporting Titans
Daily reminder that the Dark Age of Technology crapped out things that make the Eldar and Necrons look retarded.

HFY
>>
>>51588253
>Differences would be more pronounced withing units trained in different worlds

Which was exactly what was happening to 30k legionaries. They all came from different worlds, even within the same legion. Not every blood angel was from baal, not every iron warrior from olympia. Combine this with a lack of standardization between chapters within a legion, and you have a wide opening for individuality.
>>
>>51565412
I had a blast getting bumfucked by Eldar, believe it or not.

Did a campaign where early on I had "allied" with them through the Warpstorm Trilogy premades. It was fun, really tense at all times, then complete it and they leave me be. Eventually at the end of a game spanning almost a year, I gave Karrad Vall again, and I ask the Eldar to help me fight him and his even bigger fleet. They responded by coming in right as my ship and my Auxiliary frigates were getting boarded, and blasting all the ships, including mine.

In the end as my ship got blasted to shit with their xeno weapons, it was sort of a "I definitely had this coming" it was awesome
>>
>>51593070
My party is pretty comfortable with explicit material, so they often play out intimate relationships on the side. We're all counting down until the yuri begins between a cute bridge officer girl and the statuesque captain lady, and the ork is trying to understand this human thing called love.

Less risque relationships is the sickeningly adorable relationship between the guardswoman and the softhearted ogryn, like a protective big sister and her dopey little brother.

The 40k campaign we're in has a lot less explicit material than the group usually does, though that's mostly just because of how the characters played out and how they fit together. There's a lot more talking and interacting and just kinda hanging out than boning.
>>
How the fuck is a starting Only War party supposed to take down a single Ork, let alone enough Orks to be a threat that warrants regiment demployment?
>>
>>51592567
>TT is not the measure of a units effectiveness.
Then what is? The fluffity fluff? Which can range from guardsmeats fucking Abaddno in the pooper to the same Abaddno single handedly conquering entire sectors.
If I ever get back from play, I'm thinking, for example, to change all plasma into more or less the same profile, according to TT. And taking as a "default", say, like Legion Plasma Rifle. That shit could very well oneshot some unfortunate mehreen.
As it should be.
>>
>>51593262

Felling weapons. Long-las works well for starting teams.
>>
>>51592783
>They are retired to the Repentia, anon.
Nope. By that point, the Sister is already terminally insane and by the way, the DH1 also have Repentia career for a Sister.
100 Insanity or 100 Corruption character is removed from play as a nutter. He's either killed, escaped to serve the dork gawds or just nutting around rotting to death.
>>
>>51593290
Longlas is a weapon working at any point of the game. Especially if you lube it up with customizations and talents.
>>
>>51592738
Raised what the GM called "essentially a space cow" from young to full grown, filling it with so much cybernetics and mechanical components you'd need a HGV licence to ride it
>>
>>51593264
>The fluffity fluff?
Yes.

Also the RPG's are a good guideline on proper power discrepancy, as well as the old Inquisitor game.
>>
>>51593262
A single Ork is easy. Lasguns are individually underwhelming, but volley fire makes up for it. More importantly, your weapon specialist (with a melta/plasma gun, hopefully) or heavy gunner (any heavy weapon will work, but my group used a plasma cannon) will be able to take them down much more easily.

Large groups? You need those heavy weapons, and you need other squads' support.
>>
>>51593396
You wot? You realize there are dozens of plasma weapon profiles, most of which fail to even would a single mariner?
Human bolters hail to even would almost all the time without talants. And so on.
>>
>>51593449
>dozens of patterns of plasma gun
And?

Also bolters capable of being fired by humans are weaker than Astartes ones.
>>
>>51568675
The warband attended a Salaam, a peaceful gathering of the noble families on the world of Drega III, in order to keep watch for suspicious activities.
My cover was a retainer to one of the noblewomen there, a Lady Augustbarrd who spent the entire time trying to get in some guy's pants (and I plan on slapping his shit for putting hands on her anyway).
Via careful observation (baller as fuck rolls), we managed to catch a man who was spiking the drinks at the party. I pursued him as our resident noble went to find and inform officials. The bastard attempted to escape via a hidden door in the ballroom, and as the techpriest came to my position to pop the lock, a number of nobles fell prey to the virulent neurotoxin (that shit you find on poison dart frogs) in the drinks, and THEN the party was interrupted by a valkyrie landing, and a group of ne'er do wells assaulted the local pontiff. Only our sororitas was there to counterattack, but was overwhelmed by the might of their leader (srsly, the bolter bitch is a MONSTER in CC, and this guy handed her her ass on a plate, not even I would stand a chance), and they managed to kidnap the pontiff and escape before an organized strikeforce was put together by our people. The only good thing was that the sororitas was not chucked off the side of the balcony before our manchild assassin intervened to save her.
Meanwhile, the techpriest and I (think Old Man Logan) are at the secret door, and the techpriest manages to pop the logic with some impressive Logic'ing. We move in, and find a discarded servants uniform on the floor. However, our quarry still has the shoes the servants were wearing, and a combination of light source from the techpriest, dust tracks on the ground from his shoes, and listening for footfalls on the floor, we track the path he took, and raced after him at top speed.
>cont
>>
>>51593425
>weapon specialist (with a melta/plasma gun, hopefully)
Can they really start with that shit?
>>
>>51593481
Plasma guns are supposed to be OP. While they are frankly shitty.
Even meltaguns can quite easily fail to even incapacitate a marine, while in the fluff and tabletop, marines evaporate by just looking at it.
Psychic powers are also shit in the late editions for the sake of BALANCE.
No, RPGs doing a shitty job at representing the fluff. And they don't have squats either. Fucking lame.
>>
>>51593449
>You realize there are dozens of plasma weapon profiles, most of which fail to even would a single mariner?
A plasmagun on maximal mode will indeed wound, and likely severely injure, a marine. Someone in the last thread mathhammered it out, to the point where it was determined that a marine had a 20% chance of being brought to 0 wounds, iirc.
I mean, 2d10+8 Pen 8, S/2/- is gonna put the hurt on a marine, period.
As for bolters, even Astartes bolters are not anti-marine weapons. They were not designed to punch heavy armor, but to cripple and kill creatures like orks, and it shows in the lore.
Even then >>51593396 is entirely correct that the Inquisitor game is the basis of the rpgs, where it was far more granular than TT, and a marine or high powered psyker as a nearly insurmountable foe without heavy arms.
>>
>>51593564
>And they don't have squats either.

One of the writers made some squats on his off time. I've found they work pretty well.
>>
TT?
>>
>>51593564
>Plasma guns are supposed to be OP. While they are frankly shitty.
Expressly false, they, like melta weapons, are not fire and forget weapons that trivialize battles. You are bitching about the rpgs when the numbers were originally set down by GW themselves in Inquisitor and OG Dark Heresy (a Black Library product).
>Psychic powers are also shit in the late editions for the sake of BALANCE
This is how everyone knows you are a shitter, because you are fronting this D&D idea that MAGIC must be better than everything else because MAGIC, when FFG learned their lesson about making psykers powerful, then eliminating their downsides via talents and shit like fettering.
Even pushing before wasn't a real threat if you went by the numbers. I had a psyker that after a point pushed on every single focus power test and never got anything worse than Phenomenon over the course of 30 rolls.
Go smoke your 3.PF cock somewhere else.
>>
>>51593691
Tabletop. Referencing the tabletop wargame for stats and what things should do, instead of Inquisitor.
Shit, Shas is at the forefront of this, but has enough sense to realize that "lore" isn't a reason to make bullshit that doesn't work in pnp gaming.
>>
>>51593741
You are pathetically retarded imbecile.
The disparity shown not just between TT and RPGs, but between different FFG books.
Which barely have any correlation with the fluff or tabletop. Some a little better than lasers, some just might punch out on fucking Maximal.
>This is how everyone knows you are a shitter, because you are fronting this D&D idea that MAGIC
Now you're just shown everyone how much of an imbecile you are with your "knowledge" of the setting.
Similarly in both TT and fluff psykers are highly random, but OP. The initial books made them what they should be, then it made them MORE OP and they are just nerfed into dust with no explanation whatsoever.
And this have absolutely nothing to do with DnD, from which you contacted retardation, apparently.
Now shut your retarded mouth and don't you dare to ever talk about something you know jackshit about again.
>>
>>51593557
Sure. Regimental favored special weapon. You'll have a hell of a time getting more ammo, but you can do it. I'd recommend plasma over melta if you do.
>>
>>51593521
I was flabbergasted that the techpriest, despite me running 12mps, was able to keep pace with me until the saboteur came into view, which he then paused, whipped out his autogun, and sent rounds downrange over my should, striking him several times from 50m+ in dim lighting.
After vaulting over a dropped grenade, I got hands on the bastard, locking him into a grapple, and with the techpriest's aid, beat him into submission.
After reconnoitering with the rest of the warband, we took off with our prisoner to drag information from him. Time is ticking.
>>
>>51593971
>The disparity shown not just between TT and RPGs, but between different FFG books.
The only book with a different power base than the others is Deathwatch, and even that was reined in with Black Crusade.
>Some a little better than lasers, some just might punch out on fucking Maximal
See the above. You seem happy to lump together purposely different designs of weapons together for your strawman.
>Similarly in both TT and fluff psykers are highly random, but OP
No, they aren't. Most psykers are pathetically weak unless they are primaris psykers who would have psy rating 4+, not the innumerable py rating 1-2 witches most pcs would logically encounter. You are using the TT wargame to inform on a far lower scale, tighter focused rpg, like some people who have come into this thread asking is there are any peaceful worlds in the whole of the Imperium because the TT game makes it seem like every world in the galaxy is under siege.
Your blathering is not a whit different from people with a D&D background who expect magic to be powerful because it is magic and all sense can be tossed out of the window simply because it is "supposed to overpowered and not in line with how the rest of the game works".
That is purely a D&D mentality, and didn't even feature in 40k TT outside daemons, who had excellent witchfire, Eldar with their exception buffs/debiffs and 6/7e, where SM librarians have access to more powerful and versatile powers than anyone else. It is not nearly as much a part of the game as you say, because psykers were rarely if ever typecast as heroes or lynchpin warriors.
>>
>>51594282
>The only book with a different power base than the others is Deathwatch, and even that was reined in with Black Crusade.
They tinkered with it up from the Rogue Trader, and eventually just got back where they began, the DH2 stats are identical to the original DH1
There's barely any logic in there.
>You seem happy to lump together purposely different designs of weapons
Different designs of fuck-killy plasma weapons, some of which didn't even had maximal proper until RT.
>No, they aren't.
Yes they are. Innumerable PR 1-2 witches might be lame at a glance, but they are still better than any average human without PR. Examples are "lucky" powers and shit like Fear and Inflict pain.
And then primaris psykers are quite able to incinerate squads of meqs, something that they will struggle to do in OW.
And then there are techinically achievable Alpha-grade PR10 psykers, who by the fluff should be able to quite easily roflstomp titans. And their OP is entirely dependent on access to powers which they tweak without bothering to comform to anything. Like, say, DH1 where were only Holocaust, and RT where only Telekines may be able to do something on Push.
Psykers are meant to be OP, but limited by constant exposure the warp similarly to what was in 2e WHRP.
>You are using the TT wargame to inform on a far lower scale, tighter focused rpg
I am using TT and common where it is applicable. For example there is OW which is almost the same as TT, but with more detail.
Because it's RPG, it doesn't mean it's scaled much differently.
Whatever you are trying to confer, you are failing at it. RPGs are doing a poor job at representing the setting with numbers and the Inquisitor is all but dead by the way.
>>
>>51569313
Plus a kill team assembled of Marines from different legions sounds like it has a lot more potential for social fun. The Legions were not only huge, but were on non-stop campaigns, teaming up with other legions. There is a far better chance of a random kill team knowing each other through 6 degrees of space kevin bacon. You'd also have tons of great banter between iron warriors getting ragged on by everyone else as trench diggers, and White Scars being bros with everyone.
>>
>>51569556
Wow, this sounds fantastic. I love the idea.

Now there a bunch of things to consider.

Why is the suspect gathering daemonic tomes? Is it because he/she is simply a rich landowner noble who is bored and trying to spice up life and thus have taken an interest in the occult? Or perhaps they bought them at the behest of one of their advisors for flashy antiques to waste their money on so they can impress their peers, unaware of the true dangers the tomes present. Or maybe they want to use the tomes to find knowledge/secrets that can be used to enrich their plantation. Or maybe they are simply using the tomes for outright nefarious deeds.

Another thing I love to do for my games is build the local government of the world. We all know that the Planetary governor is responsible for the world and getting the tithes ready for the administratum, but remember that underneath that there is extreme latitude for how the world works. Perhaps this world is ruled by a "gentleman's council" All the elites work in agreement in a rather informal system of ensuring their tithes are met, and that law and order is enforced in accordance with the scriptures. I.E. the government is very loosely organized and heavily heavily influenced by the great "southern" faith that compels all of the elites to work together. OOOORRRR perhaps the local government is run democratically with landowners being the only ones eligible to vote and run for positions. Every new election results in the new officials having to completely redesign and set up the planetary law enforcement.

Also how many cities are there? Are there a number of small cities where plantations flank the outsides of, or it there a few major cities and the rest are towns dominated by the massive plantations. What is the values of the planet. Do they believe hardwork will grant success, or that the emperor picks the blessed to succeed and that faith is most important.
>>
>>51575615
The imperium itself isn't. Perhaps there are some planets that may have such primitive views, most likely feral or feudal worlds, but even then most planets with a good eccelesiarchy presence will be beyond that type of thing because they are taught that the form of man is divine and blessed as the Emperor intended.

However what is far more likely is planetist, different planets within a sub-sector may hold prejudice against other planets based on slights or whatever.
>>
>>51575861
Spoilers: Talos Valcoran of the Night Lords used his acid spit to get an advantage on a Callidus assassin M'Shen and melt her eyes out, plus part of her face. Yeah thats right, Soul Hunter used acid spit to blind that chick who killed his primarch
>>
>>51591692
Talk with your GM and party and all of you should come to a consensus on at what level are you guys starting. I don't mean actual player level, but fluff level. In my experience I always prefer to start from the ground up, i.e. brand new inquisition recruits who are far more cautious and subtle. If you guys want to start off as established ][ acolytes what you've said is fine, but it will automatically draw attention. You and your group need to come to an understanding on how you all will start. There's nothing wrong with going for a gung ho ][ group, but make sure the GM is on the same page otherwise it will be very difficult to mesh both ideas at first. And remember that a Sororitas is more than a stereotype. While you can and are entitled to wear power armor (if you start off with that massive advancement) not all sisters are dedicated fighters or angry zealots. While all are fiercely devout, there are dozens of orders and many have different interepretations towards their faith. So I'd recommend starting as a sororitas but not as a Bolter Bitch cause thats really strong. Start as a simple sister decide if you are Famulosas, dialogos or medicae or some other type. Or you can even go with a military oriented sister but hold off on the full out elite advancement until after the first session. It's important to leave room for your characters to grow, especially in the opening sessions. Don't treat any minor slight as heresy and don't treat every poor foolish soul as a cretin deserving of the flame. Make your character real and ready to have their view and outlook challenged.

Maybe you could be a bolter-bitch lite, i.e. Sororitas fluff background, no elite advancement yet, but maybe allow yourself to be challenged to hold back your fierce devotion during the mission to better help the group. So if you see someone dishonor the emperor, make sure party is ok with you blamming them before you do it.
>>
That's my initial impression, too. Surely, tho, geedubs will continue to change things and just say that MORE THAN 10,000 teleported with the Emprah, or that He left a few custodes in the palace, or god-knows-what-horseshit.
Meh, it just continues to bust my nuts that the 'loremasters' of geedubs don't fucking care about the lore that came before.....Everything - EVERYTHING - that those assclowns shit out is utterly meaningless if they, the company, completely disregard it themselves............
>>
>>51589539
Don't touch the shit: tell someone to tell someone to get somebody else to send them a roundabout message giving them the location of their dead marines. Then leave for deep space and never, ever return. Ever.
>>
File: kek.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>51588205
>Also fuck you. Why people like you have games and I don't?
They're young: they'll play anything.
>>
>>51597738
Meant for you right there>>51591000
>>
Should we make a tier list for skills in 2e?
>>
>>51595449
Sorry for the delay, I was at work.

>Why is the suspect gathering daemonic tomes?
Well, I'm "starting" the game with Edge of Darkness. (Spoilers spoilered for those who have not played it.) I'm toying with the planter being the source of funding for the Chiurgeon's "artistry", along with other routes of sabotage; the man's driven by greed and has plotted the downfall of the other planters for decades. When your plans start having plans, a certain bird-god takes notice, and with a little "push", maybe a book falls into someone's hands. What's inside is innocuous enough, but Marenus on the outskirts of the block just failed to make his share of the tithe on time, and after the Administratum took its cut the rest fell to you. So you seek out more, find every edge you can get... Now you're looking for a workforce you own, not the Mechanicus. And one of those stable experiments might just be the prototype you're looking for. The guy's probably not an active worshipper of Chaos, but he's definitely playing to Tzeentch's strings. And of course, *everyone* is plotting against each other, so that doesn't likely stand out.

Government, the informal system seems better, and it allows for more "outcasts" and "local heroes". There'll have to be someone who takes the title, of course, though. Seems a bit more authentic too.

Cities: I'm aiming more toward the "massive plantations around a few major cities" setup. My mental image is somewhat like Halo's Harvest, 40k-ized, right now. As far as values? Well, honestly, both of those are super common in the Imperium already. The elites likely have no pretense that blessings make a difference (except certain ruinous powers), the limited middle class is a little jaded on success in the first place, and servitors don't exactly care about success outside of their programming. But pretenses up front? Jesu- I mean, God-Emperor and country, as far as the eye can see. Ministorum presence high.
>>
So I plan on making anew adeptus sororitas, and I'm thinking I might go with one of 3 roles, those being seeker, sage and chirugeon. Seeker and sage seems like it would lend itself well to the investigating portion since my party doesn't seem to have much interest in that coming off of a long dnd game so they're in the murder hobo mindset, and chirugeon because no one else is interested in taking medicae. Basically I'm aiming for more utility with my adeptus sororitas to help support the party. What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>51599991
Healer as a path can kind of Peter out at a low point, assuming you get the right advances. I'd make either a Sage or Seeker, take the Yanth Deathworld homeworld for bonuses crafting medicine and shit, get to Medicae 4 and Superior Chirurgeon, then branch into other skills your Role can do.
>>
There's a talent that lets psykers eplace any psychic phenomena with a "signature" effect of their choice

Is there any reason not to take this, and is there any reason not to pick creepy echo that has no mechanical impact?
>>
>>51600468
Hoarfrost is cooler, like you're sucking thermal energy out of the air and making it kinetic or using it to burn people or whatever
>>
>>51599990
That main antagonist sounds great. I'm always very partial to having some villains early on who aren't chaos cultists, but rather people who are using bad things. Theres nothing wrong with always having some big bad chaos worshipper but it gets stale too quick. The planter sounds like a far more intriguing and unpredictable suspect for a a new party to tackle.

Also if you really want to go with the Antebellum South theme you can also have notSlaves in it. Perhaps there is a large population of "indentured citizens" who due to history or something are now "bound" to the estate of a Patron (Planter) who allows them to find redemption in the eyes of the God Emperor through honest hard work. Perhaps this notslave class are people who descended from earlier civil wars and uprisings and now some planters use their status as a cheaper alternative to acquiring and maintaining servitors. Equally a local population bound to an estate would provide the suspect Planter a pool of willing participants for his "business endeavors".

Onto the values, thats fine too. Perhaps the elite make a big spectacle of their faith to please the Ministorum and give encouragement to the lower classes.

Other things you may want to consider are law enforcement, climate, crops grown, and planetary traditions. Is the whole planet of similar climate to the deep south, or are the plantations all huddled around an Emperor blessed zone of the world that is downright conducive to growing while the rest of the world is less bountiful.

Who enforces the laws and traditions on this world? Do the scions of Planting houses cut their teeth on the local law enforcement as prep for when the take over the house and enter into real politics. Or are the enforcers made up of hard workers who tilled small farms and and decided to put an end to theiving and farm sabotage.
>>
>>51599991
>>51600428 here, given it some more thought, I'd go Seeker. You could double up on Social to get Willpower, which will allow you to quickly level up Interrogate as well, and later if you take Battle Sister, you get a free aptitude (because you'll get Willpower a second time). Sage gets Willpower, but I'd only pick it if your group really needs those Lore checks.
>>
>>51600983
Additionally how settled is the planet? Does it have a rich history going back thousands of years to when it was first rediscovered or is it relatively young. How many continents are there and is there human settlements across all of them or is only the bountiful heartland settled for it's agricultural value while the dusty tumblelands are left to whisper in the winds, unsettled and unwanted.

When the players attend a planetary festival, how is it celebrated? Do the Planters set up a faux town in the middle of the capital's mustering fields where the biggest estates try to outdo each other by erecting and designing elaborate exhibits, stands, and stages to proclaim the great prosperity of their fields- ala a Worlds Fair. Or is a massive Gala thrown where everyone puts on their finest clothes and dance in a baroque hall. Or do the planters celebrate the harvest with an annual field burning, necessary to properly harvest the crops and refertilize the soil and as such they have their gala around a massive bonfire.

Also what crops do they grow? Do they grow wheat, or other normal agricultural stuff or do they grow more exotic stuff like special fungus. Do they raise grox and uses horses for ranching, or do they have any important native fauna?
>>
>>51601184
>>51600983
A lot of good material to think about. Thanks, man. I'm not entirely sure where to take everything yet, I still need to settle if there even *are* players. As far as notSlaves go, I was planning on using straight-up servitors of varying capability rather than individuals, but for the on-the-ground work that isn't handled by them (or certain patrons) regular people could certainly work. I'm aiming for the gala-style ballroom festival, yeah; I *know* it'll put my players off their normal "everything is a shithole" attitude toward 40k environments, and I'm trying to get the same effect for their characters. Coming straight out of a run down hive, it'll be a hell of a culture shock.

I'll have to look into 40k's agriculture a little deeper before I dig into climate/crops/et cetera, though.
>>
>>51601119
So it would be something like
Shrine world
Adeptus sororitas
Seeker
Then battle sister?
This is my first time making a dark heresy character so I'm still learning the process of character creation
>>
Okay, /40krpg/.

You're running a game of Deathwatch.

And two of your players want to play specific marines.

Player 1 wishes to play a battle brother from the Marines Malevolent. Player 2 wants to be a Minotaut.

Do you let them?
>>
>>51602019
I know minotaurs have an official entry, but do the marines malevolent have one?
>>
>>51602129
No, but it's easy enough to build them as a Codex chapter from... whichever book Minotaurs are in. The name escapes me.
>>
>>51602153
Well, besides the inevitable fuckton amounts of in-fighting, it "should" be okay.
>>
>>51602178
Infighting? Why would their be infighting?
>>
>>51602019
I'd assume they're planning to be massive assholes and question them as people, but I'd let them play it.
>>
>>51601817
Battle sister once you have the prerequisite stats. There's an Influence prereq you won't be able to fill to start, you'll have to play some. But the rest is right at creation, yeah.
>>
>>51602210
Because Minotaurs and Malevolents are awesome And faggot Chapters get mad jelly.
>>
>>51601817
Sure. Be advised, you can pick any home world. And Sage would work fine too. Keep Aptitudes in mind, take a look at the page delineating costs vs, how many Aptitudes for what you have.
>>
File: 1360894284786.jpg (136KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
1360894284786.jpg
136KB, 400x640px
So do all psykers go to Terra or is that just the Astropaths and the rest are trained all over the Imperium or in the Black Ships? Could a psyker conceivably be from the same planet as the regiment he's attached to?

I'm wanting to do a quick intro type prologue of "This is how you got here". Easy enough for the Schola guys but I'm fuzzy on the psyker bit.
>>
>>51604089
All of them on the black ships go to terra unless if something intervenes.

On its own, it would be ludicrously unlikely given how huge the imperium is.
>>
>>51604089
>So do all psykers go to Terra
The fluff implies it, given the nature of the creation of Astropaths, but it seems impractical. Not that that has ever stopped 40k.
>>
>>51604089
Sure, though it is statistically unlikely in the extreme and due to the rigors of sanctioning he might not even remember his home planet.
>>
>>51604191
>>51604306
>>51604406
Okay, I figured the odds were very unlikely.

What sort of training would a battle pysker receive? I'm assuming basic tactics and marksmanship due to receiving a weapons proficiency, but most of it is focused on not exploding into daemons trying to move a feather with their mind.
>>
>>51604089

Dark Heresy 1 core book strongly implies that most psykers get trained outside Terra. I've never seen it talked about anywhere outside of that book. Astropaths do have to go to Terra to be soul-bound, but it sounds like the rest don't.

At the very least, it says there are different branches that measure psychic power differently and have their own traditions. Has a chart listing titles for different psy ratings in the "Scholastica Psykana Calixis."

>Much like the Imperial Creed, the exact
teachings of the Scholastica Psykana may vary from sector to sector (or even planet to planet) yet the intent remains the same—training dutiful psykers to serve the Imperium.
>>
>>51604592
The vast majority of the training a psyker would get would be to control their abilities. Any weapon training from the astra telepathica is lip service in comparison.
>>
File: angrycry.jpg (149KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
angrycry.jpg
149KB, 700x700px
fucking ebay scalpers
what am i made of money?
>>
File: 1475639832013.jpg (23KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1475639832013.jpg
23KB, 601x508px
>>51604836
tfw I got nearly all the books except the Dark Heresies and Rites of Battle
>>
File: 1471391648285.jpg (72KB, 736x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1471391648285.jpg
72KB, 736x1026px
>>51604869
>mfw I don't have a group that needs me to legit buy the books, and have no qualms over digital
>>
File: lel.gif (498KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
498KB, 400x225px
>>51604955

>tfw scalping my books on the internet a bit at a time and getting my money back plus a car payment
>>
How many skulls are plainly visible on your character's person at any one time?
>>
>>51600751
Yeah but Tech-Priests get quite annoyed when you freeze their annointing oils and they can't massage the jeep's machine spirit
>>
>>51604609
Grey Knights use gene seed direct from the emperor, right?

In an emergency could a GL Librarian soul-bind astropaths on the emperor's behalf
>>
>>51606295
Face mask (has an invisible =][= which he can make glow when necessary), one on the left shoulder, and one on his ass so that he remembers to always kneel instead of sit - a practical reminder that service to the emperor is 24/7 or whatever clock system 40k uses)
>>
>>51606461
That's a rumor. Unknown if it's true.
>>
How well do Psykers do in DH2e? I thought ours was solid in Only War, but I've heard they got nerfed hard.
>>
>>51606721
Powers were nerfed due to being unbalanced against other characters, but perils of the warp are still the same they they have all that risk with none of the reward..

The stats the powers test against were spread out so you now need more than just Toughness and Willpower, making them more expensive and leaving you less XP to actually buy powers.

Pushing now makes it harder to manifest your powers, and you can't manifest them fettered anymore.

They're playable, and if you love psykers you'll live with it. But play a Tech-Priest instead otherwise
>>
>>51594628
All the shit you say doesn't matter because you are using TT and BL books as a standard, instead of Inquisitor which is directly the standard the game is based on.
Your problem is that you are choosing to do it as wrong as you can, and complaining the game isn't supporting you as you do it wrong.
You can literally fuck right off, because until you accept that the game is not in any fashion what you erroneously believe it to be, you will still be a fuck up spouting bullshit.
>>
>>51606789
Or better yet, since Psyker is an elite advance now, play a warrior or something that wasn't nerfed, and then just learn the odd psychic power to boost your shooting
>>
>>51602210
Minotaurs are considered the High Lords' personal attack dogs, and most chapters look and treat them like scum unworthy of the title Astartes.
Marines Malevolent are a hair's breath away from being outright censured for their violence and aberrant rituals, with other chapters literally refusing to deal with them in any capacity.
Add a Carcharodon to the mix and you have the perfect brew of fucktarded pcs.
>>
>>51606721
The people who say they are nerfed are the people who wanted psykers to simply be "better" than others with less effort.
It's the reason why the various healing powers had hard limits applied to them, why psychic barrage and such was brought down.
You think FFG didn't know about the kill everything in 1 round psyker build, or the various other exploits that made any psyker after PR4 basically a god? Those issues were directly addressed, and now people are butthurt that being a good psyker requires more than getting 60 WP and cherrypicking the best powers.
>>
>>51607027
Whereas being a good Warrior just requires high BS and picking the best weapon, without the risk of shooting someting turning you into a daemon
>>
>>51607039
And also has a fraction of the versatility, requires scaling quality equipment in order to be relevant (did you ever play with a GM that actually keeps track of ammo and weight?), you need to actually acquire that equipment, is not actually always applicable to the situation at hand (if you are playing the game right, it will rarely ever be).
Psykers do far more than shoot mind bullets, and it seems that is the only metric that matters to you. Why else us a purely combative aspect as an "example"? Let's ignore the entirety of Divination/Telepathy/Telekinesis disciplines.
>>
File: IMG_3990.jpg (124KB, 709x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3990.jpg
124KB, 709x1200px
Alright, so due to reasons my DH2E group is assaulting an enemy base.

Stop reading if that sounds familiar, and SSSS means anything to you.

Considering the numbers of both enemies and friendlies, (18 friendlies, 5 of which are PCs, 20 enemies) I find myself in a weird middle ground where I don't want to do narrative mass combat, nor do I want to slog out EVERYONE'S actions. Would it be insane to group some of the enemies and friendlies into Hordes to have them plink away at each other, or am I asking for problems with that setup?
>>
>>51607306
Don't use Hordes, you don't have enough dudes.
Use the Only War squad based set up to divide them up. Basically, it makes them far less killy, and makes morale breaking an actual thing.
My own GM did the same thing, while allowing the pcs to make their own actions.
>>
>>51602019
They basically wanna play the Asshole marines.
>>
>>51606295
Skulls for backpack things, skulls on the weapon hilt, skulls on the trophy rack, and flaming mechanoid skull when he takes off the power helmet.
Yeah, I once played a terminator. Almost.
>>
>>51607490
Black Crusade?
>>
>>51607027
The retard strikes again?
There is only one ever healing power in DH2 and that's extremely lame import from OW. No regeneration, no seal wounds, not even staunch bloodloss.
As for kill everything in 1 round there's Sanctic Daemonology full of OP shit, complete with Holocaust on top.
Being a good psyker now is a struggle with pathetic selection of powers.
Must be heavily homeruled to be of any proper use.
>>
>>51607507
More like Shady Grey Crusade.
>>
>>51607520
>There is only one ever healing power in DH2 and that's extremely lame import from OW. No regeneration, no seal wounds, not even staunch bloodloss
Yes, and in earlier games, not only were they there, they also had no limits. Only the minor power Heal had a limit, but if you had Seal Wounds, the party literally had nothing to worry about in between combat.
>Holocaust
Yes, because the power most likely to kill you in exchange for it's power, is the the benchmark. Add to that Holocaust is exactly the same in power as it used to be, Santic has mostly buffs and expressly anti-daemon abilities with 2 direct combat powers
Like I said, you are REEEE'ing that being a psyker doesn't allow you to inherently break the game in half.
>>
>>51589093

Just say you're returning the bodies so that they can be treated to proper honors, the chapter's records can get updated, and so their wargear can be recycled.
>>
>>51607542
50 Shades of Grey Crusade?
>>
>>51607579
>Yes, and in earlier games, not only were they there, they also had no limits. Only the minor power Heal had a limit, but if you had Seal Wounds, the party literally had nothing to worry about in between combat.
They could have been tweaked and limited like shit. Literally dozens of ways could be imagined.
>Yes, because the power most likely to kill you in exchange for it's power, is the the benchmark. Add to that Holocaust is exactly the same in power as it used to be, Santic has mostly buffs and expressly anti-daemon abilities with 2 direct combat powers
1d10XPR Blast(PR), Sanctified, Flame, Warp Weapon for a meager 1d10+PR damage per round is well worth it.
Problem with Sanctic is that it's absolutely OP, compared to the more ordinary powers, and what's more blasphemous, it's basically a collection of stolen powers from other disciplines, flavoured as Empra's anti-daemon
spray.
>Like I said, you are REEEE'ing that being a psyker doesn't allow you to inherently break the game in half.
Yes, because it's psyker's divine right to do so.

But honestly the problem is that psykers aren't balanced now, they are lame and barely as variable as they could've been.
>>
>>51607645
Something alike, but thankfully it was before me, so I missed most of the debauchery.
It was good tho. One PC was a flesh shaper before that was even a thing in the books and so on.
>>
>>51606461
Isn't the existence of the GK a major imperium secret?
>>
>>51607339
Some of those allies are a squad of (PDF) guardsmen. Excellent idea, thank you.
>>
>>51567040
We had to deal with a Genestealer cult once. I fixed it with a melta bomb and my character's life.
>>
>>51580525
>Black characters are a bitch to paint
You what? I did a Deathworld Vets army all negro as that was easier to paint, at least to a tabletop standard.
>prime black
>drybrush the whole thing brown
>drierbrush the skin a slightly whiter brown
>clothing is a nice brown, ready for tan colours and stuff
>>
>>51588859
>1st edition since it's what I own
Please no, those rules feel ancient and it's such a restrictive system. Just download the 2e books.
>>
>>51589093
>>51591919
Probably mixing player knowledge into character knowledge I'm guessing...
>>
>>51567350
>not understanding the ancient meme
>>
>>51609512
It was stupid /v/ trash then, it remains trash now.
>>
>>51606461

Why would the Emperor evendors have geneseed?
>>
>>51610048
Geneseed is just mutagenic genome material.
He managed to make versions based on each primarches geneprint, I wager it would be trivial for him to do it to himself to impart some of his resistance to the corruptive force of the Warp.
>>
>>51610079

Making geneseed from the primarchs makes sense because they are primarchs.

the Emperor is human.
>>
>>51610117
>the Emperor is human
>Emperor
>human
Not only is that Extremis heresy, anon, but there is little to suggest that he is simply "human".
>>
Anons, I have started writing an Only War campaign. I have played DH before, but never been a GM. I was wondering if you all had some general GM campaign creation advice. I have the rules down very solid and I am very well versed in 40k lore for all the faction.

We are currently playing a DH game that has been going on a for a while so it is likely I will have plenty of time to continue writing this. (there is a concern about setting fatigue, but its not like my preparation will have disappear if we play something else in between)

Right now I have:

Written the complete outline of the campaign, what it should essentially look like from point A to B and several C options as well. I have IDed the major themes I want to use. The idea here being as with the military I want to give the illusion that the PCs are just a small part of the whole. Their actions will effect the overall arc, but they aren't free to just roam free without set goals. I put in a system of war progress where if they fail main arcs or session it would effect the overall ending while only certain areas would cause a complete different story arc to happen. Makes it a little easier to manage, in that I can plan richer set pieces and cheat a bit by making more stuff in advance. Some of it may never get used, but I have the time and the writing part is fun.

I have a star system with a background created via the Rogue Trader generator and several overall villains and their goals and motivations as well as the motivation for the Imperium.
>>
>>51610228
Whats left to be done now looks like: (In order)

1. Flesh out further each planet in the system including the cities and key locations
2. Add specific key characters to each faction involved and fill out their back stories
3. Take each "session" in the outline and add in all the details, what should happen, fill out some background on the areas the players might see, so I would have to pull less out of my butt in the heat of the moment
4. Create session tools, like hand outs, maps, minis, terrain to utilize for easy of gaming and immersion
5. Create a bunch of smaller one shot side quests to help scale the PC power level while add in some break up to the main campaign, stuff that would be easy to plug and play.

So the question is there anything I should plan for that I have not already? I understand a lot of leeway is needed when the PCs go off course. However, I would rather over plan than under plan because I could always recycle stuff and put it in somewhere else. Any general tips or pit falls I should avoid?
>>
How often do you all make kustom talents and gear?
>>51610228
I'm alright with your jib until...
>>51610237
>Take each "session" in the outline and add in all the details, what should happen, fill out some background on the areas the players might see, so I would have to pull less out of my butt in the heat of the moment
Stop, yo. You gotta get used to coming up with shit, anon, because players can and will shit all over your plans. If you have to micromanage every game session, you have either gone too far, or are not prepared to deal with the riot that is pcs.
Also, set up character arcs for the players, and make sure that you have things set aside for the players to interact with on the small scale.
>>
/koronusscriv on File Dropper.

Most of the Koronus Expanse in proto-database. Needs meta-data, after which point the entire Expanse will be open for exploration and vibrant reaction.
>>
>>51610264
This. My advice is always to be rolling dice. Even if it's for nothing at all. Make it look important. Use those extra seconds to come up with what you need on the fly. It takes practice but it's a really invaluable skill as a GM.
>>
Just gonna.... leave this here

>https://youtu.be/iFRa0KZsGhc
>>
>>51610237
>>51610336
My tactic (since I always have a laptop) is to kinda point my hand vaguely at the screen and pretend to skim read something. The trick though yeah is to start talking again in a matter of seconds so as to not lose the flow of the game.
>>
>>51567662
Where is the Great Crusade Testing Ground at? Didn't see it in the mega.
>>
>>51610486
>>51610264
>>51610336
>>51610264

Tracking what you are saying here. When I say add in details, the plan is to just gives character the basics and provide structure. So if the session is to start at base X to travel through forest Y to go to fort Z. The session write up would look like:

Base X has 4 tents with several vehicles, tents would be a quartermaster, command center, barracks, medical tent. Set up with our terrain to give a visual.

Paragraph of writing on area description to lead into the area.

Characters to key characters to interact with:
Commander: gives intel
Tech priest: red herring this session
Doc: Extra medical supplies
Quartermaster: Based on current war status offer A,B, or C special offer for test D set

Forest has G,H,I land marks with similar basic info written out.

If they take too long, insert generic enemy patrol. If they get lost, roll a dice on how far out they are from the area.

Fort Z has layout on the table which would be set up after a break. Has similar key info prepared, any key characters, total enemy personnel at the location. Info like can they summon help, are there treasures to find, how NPCs might act etc etc.
>>
>>51611205

Besides, adding in the basic background story, most of this would be done to help scale the game appropriately to fit the theme of standard soldiers in the IG, which was what the other players requested. That means having players die, run out of food, or get lost while facing difficult situation as standard humans. I want to maintain a certain level of adversity and suffering while not overwhelming the PCs. They might never make it to Fort Z and tool around in the base and then go off randomly, however the overall war effort must suffer for their failure to complete their mission. Also because an only war campaign seems to be fighting heavy, I wanted to outline stuff this way to ensure I am allowing the players to use all the skill options to benefit and not just min max their characters.

That said, I understand what you are saying. I am not afraid of pulling things out of my butt. I just want to mitigate some of it to help make sure the session is run smoother, while taking into account all these things we just aren't doing in the DH session.

And I like the character arcs, I didn't really think about that at all. One of the basic plans was to have each PC make 5 basic characters. One to represent their main, the comrade, then three others. This is so when someone dies, we can source a newer character quickly to keep the players in the game, the idea being they come from another platoon. Also to create kind of a living company idea with a dead PC wall so people get attached to characters, but can still let go. As the campaign progresses, people die and the company becomes an overall character as well.

The character arcs will be a nice way of making PCs have more important so they will have more weight when they inevitably die.
>>
>>51610264
>Stop, yo. You gotta get used to coming up with shit, anon, because players can and will shit all over your plans.
How does preparing stuff in advance stop him from improvising?
>>
>>51611529
People tend to stick to plans when in a pinch.
The primary concern is that he will try to "make his plan work" over the players, rather than make the plan work FOR the players.
>>
>>51611568
If you can't improvise with a plan, you obviously can't improvise without a plan. Preparing your game as much as you can in advance is always a good idea. There is no correlation whatsoever between having stuff prepared and being able to improvise. Please don't confuse new GMs with that shit advice.
>>
>>51611604
I never said "have no plan", you mook.
I said do not try to micromanage by the individual game session, because you don't know in advance how far the game will have proceeded or where the pcs will be at, and since passing time revolves around the players (a battle that takes an entire session is 1-100 minutes in narrative time), it's a losing proposition to hold to such "planning".
>>
>>51611648
What does "micromanage a game session" even mean?
>>
>>51611663
>Take each "session" in the outline and add in all the details, what should happen
>what should happen
This is the key clincher that he is going a little too far. What happens should be based on how the campaign would be going due to the pc party's success or failure, not pre-planned regardless of their actions.
>>
Quick question out there, google's not helping me today. Running a DH campaign and in need of an image for a DMNPC I put together for the PC's to work with, does anybody have a picture of a Catachan female that's not waifu/pinup?
>>
>>51611727
You can't find that picture of not!Vasquez from the one OW book?
Female holding a flamer?
>>
>>51611715
The key clincher is that he's preparing stuff in advance?
>>
>>51611770
No, that he is pre-deciding what should be happening in a campaign that he said the actions of the pcs influences the wider war effort.
Were I in his position, I wouldn't make those kind of decisions until 1 or 2 weeks before that session so the full range of the players' actions are taken into account.
Talking about what the players' "should" see and what "should" happen is a warning sign that you are prescribing to the players their actions and focus, which is something that rests with the players, not the gm.
>>
>>51611800
>Talking about what the players' "should" see and what "should" happen is a warning sign that you are prescribing to the players their actions and focus, which is something that rests with the players, not the gm.
Where the fuck are you getting all of that from?

And even if that's true, what's wrong with it? You can't predict all of the PC's actions, but you can still think about the potential courses of action in a given scenario and what might happen as a result. There is literally nothing wrong with that kind of preparation, so don't advise him to not prepare the game in advance, advise him to improvise if necessary.
>>
>>51611893
>Where the fuck are you getting all of that from?
>>51610237
>Take each "session" in the outline and add in all the details, what should happen
>>
>>51610159
He used psychic warp magic to keep himself alive for over 30,000 years before the Horus Heresy

If he was ever human, he stopped being it a looooooooooooong fucking time ago
>>
>>51611915
That's how people prepare sessions, yes. You set a scene, maybe more than one, and add details to them and what's going to happen in them. Where does the assumption of him not giving the players any choice come from?
>>
>>51611752
Doesn't fit what I had in mind.
Npc in question is an oddball sniper/ medic mix.
I know it's not realistic, but it's 40k and I want to have fun with things.
>>
>>51611988
>oddball sniper/ medic mix.
There is one of those in my current game, and she is batshit crazy.
She pulled a gun on our critically wounded sororitas in order to keep her from getting back up.
>is accosted in an alley by 2 local toughs
>calmly and demurely puts her autoquill away, pulls her laspistol and shoots both of them in the head
>we need another medic to do some work for us
>she goes into a hospital, walks up to the front desk, brandishes her pistol and demands to see a doctor
Irl she is one of the shyest, nicest girls I know. Hell, IC, she is quiet and unassuming.
Until she decides to not fuck around.
>>
>>51589407
This guy speaks true. Edge of Darkness also introduces the concept of Interrogators better than the core book one does.

I had my players combing through it for the better part of 3 sessions before they accidentally stumbled onto the end conflict by beating the hotel owner half to death and sending him into the alms house after the night cycle began.
>>
>>51612070
Nice. Truth be told, my players set themselves up for a tpk. I'm tolling around with things to give them slightly more of a chance, but I'm also writing up their Inquisitor's retinue.
This was supposed to be a one shot, but the group is living the game, so I figured if they die, their daddy and his personal retinue are on their way. Let the dead players sub in as the rescue team, that way they can still finish the game and get a chance to tool around with high level characters.
>>
>>51611988
Will that do?
>>
>>51612208
Sorry, writing on a phone is bad and i feel bad.

>>51612213
This might work, thanks!
>>
>>51612213
option 2
>>
>>51611800
I am that anon. I fully expect lots of stuff to change. Like I was saying before, I don't mind writing up details I am not going to end up using. And filling out key locations still seems fine. Like regiment X is still going to be fighting enemy Y regardless of what the players do.

Let's say day one the players decide fuck the IG let's leave and then the game morphs into an MP hunting down deserters thing that is fine. Maybe they escape or maybe I capture them and they become penal legion. Since I already fleshed out some locations I can make those up as I go.

Regardless, their home regiment will have fought session 1 and 4 session 3 no longer fits their new found penal legion status so it is dropped session 2 is then retooled to fit the new data. Now the war effort is harmed but maybe the story continues into just fuck the imperium we just want to survive, future events still unfold but the story becomes more dirty dozen.

They could go further off the rails, but they were asking to make a more military oriented campaign. This is where some of the idea of linearness comes from, you are still told where to go and what to do. I figure it would make things a little easier for me in that regard.
>>
>>51612274
option 3
technically, it's necromunda, but with fortunate son as background music the players won't notice anything
>>
>>51612291
Ooops.
>>
>>51612274
This is awesome.
>>
I like how FFG 40k is not Grimdark 24/7
>>
Psyker Ace Pilot sounds nice.

using biomancy to mitigate fatigue cause by Aerial Manuevers
>>
>>51613424
This. Being a dedicated psyker in 2e is a mug's game
>>
May have already been covered in the thread, Not sure I just scrolled to the bottom.
I know Fantasy Flight no longer has the license, but I hear rumours that there are rumours of them getting relicensed to someone else. Is there anything concrete? Any idea to who?
I can't afford the books as they are now, I want to get Dark Heresy and WFRP in physical books.
>>
>>51613406
I appreciate the absurd things that aren't really bad, but are distinctly 40k. Like that city on Scintilla that's just a roaming mining rig, I think people swing around on the bottom with ropes
>>
>>51612291
>>51612352
Oddly enough, I had this saved because as I said, this is a one-shot. Nobody but me has experience with the game and only limited knowledge of 40k (which has been great and bad at times), so I made pregens, and this was what I had for if the guardsman in the group decided to play a female.
>>
I was the adopted daughter and assistant to a Magos. He dissapeared and shortly the Inquisitor who was his old friend picked me up. I'm pretty much pure for a 40k character. No cybernetics, diseases or drug addictions.
>>
What's the deal with the wax seals and litanies hanging from everyone?

Do they actually do anything?

Does the paper getting shredded or torn in battle considered a bad omen? Or a good thing?

Can they be replaced?
>>
>>51613841
They're called purity seals, use this information together with your google-fu to acquire knowledge
>>
what would be the best way to run traps and puzzles? Should I ask for awareness, scrutiny, or some other skill for detecting traps? Should all puzzle solving default to logic? How much damage should be given for failure?
>>
>>51571010
You mean space marine?
>>
>>51614263
I dunno, the movie with John Pertwee
>>
>>51606574
>That's a rumor. Unknown if it's true.
The new codex and a couple black library books say it is. It's a legend in old fluff, when 40k was good.
>>
>>51613424

I just hope you got a good GM that includes vehicle encounters and usage. I've been trying to find usage for my ace character but i get pretty much the feedback of "it's too crowded easier to walk" or "you take the vehicle and arrive that's it"
>>
Anyone know how many Marines can fit in a boarding torpedo?
>>
>>51615258
Ten seems like a standard number for Space Marine transportation.
>>
>>51615258
8, plus Sergeant and a "special" slot (apothecary, captain, libraian, a half dozen scout marines on each other's shoulders, etc.)

Though it depends how creative your thech-priests are
>>
>>51615277
>>51615288
>>51615258
You'd think with the size of a ship torpedo in 40k, you'd be able to fit a company in one.
>>
>>51615351
This sounds dangerously close to tech-heresy anon
>>
>>51611205
Thing is they might avoid that base, then that writeup is pretty useless. I myself would think about half that stuff beforehand (but generally won't write it down), then make up the other half of that stuff on the spot. Also make sure not to railroad them into going to places just because you did do a writeup on them.
>>
Is there a quick guide on how to handle space combat in Rogue Trader (or perhaps make it simpler)? Our group tried doing what seemed to be a simple 3 vs. 1 engagement and it ended up taking us two sessions to fully resolve.
>>
>>51617265
>Rogue Trader
>easy

Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Astartes
>>
>>51617265
>3 vs. 1
There's your problem. Before you get used to space combat, especially if you carry more complex weaponry like small craft or torpedoes, it's tricky. I recommend you try a 1v1 fight just to get to know the system (it doesn't even have to be a difficult fight), and then add more ships. It gets even more difficult if you let the players control several ships, since they'll take ages to make a turn. It's easier for the GM, especially if using something more primal like Orks, Rak'Gol or Tyranids, since it basically boils down to "Ram them and loot/kill/eat them".

I also recommend the GM uses the simplified NPC ship rules in BFK for less important mook ships, but also that they (roughly) stat the command crew of important opposing vessels, like rivals, villains and whichever else matters.
>>
Is a single Chaos veteran Marine an insurmountable threat for four fairly experienced Acolytes? No psyker in either side, assume a cornered Alpha Legion marine that is required to stay in the broader engagement zone.
>>
>>51618633

Define fairly experienced.
>>
>>51618695
Well, I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out what point it's a significant but not impossible fight at, so I don't exactly have numbers. If I did, I could run the math myself.
>>
File: Keanu in Thought.jpg (205KB, 1372x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Keanu in Thought.jpg
205KB, 1372x1000px
>>51618633

It depends on too many factors for a single answer. Unknown variables include acolyte skills and armament, availability of cover, skill, rank, and armament of the Legionary, backup the Legionary possesses, backup the acolytes possess, engagement distance, and environmental hazards to name a few.

Without knowing more, all you will get is a vague "maybe."
>>
>>51617863
Are there Tyranid "ships" statted up for RT?
>>
>>51612355
Prior to DH2 yeah, but I have to ramp down the grim darkness in the 2E stuff just to reach a workable level without everyone seeming to go full retard.
>>
>>51619039
I'll toss out some ballpark figures as a guess, but I'm still working on that particular point in the campaign.

It's looking like we'll have a Desperado (Outcast), a Warrior (IG), a Hierophant (blanking on the bureaucrats' name), and a Sage (Mechanicus). I'd expect mid to high 40s in the relevant skills, Carapace armor for those who want it, and probably one plasma or melta weapon in the team. Otherwise they're geared for combat in this case, and have a meatshield squad to get them to the Legionnaire. Assume they know what they're facing in broad terms.

The Alpha Legionnaire is a surviving sergeant from one of my 30k campaigns. Roughly 300 years of subjective time experienced since the Heresy, with the according skills. Standard power armor, bolt pistol, power sword. If they catch him in disguise in the field somehow, best he'll have is a bolt pistol and some light chest armor. He does have backup in the form of Body Snatchers, but they'll likely be dead before any engagement. The encounter is on the Legionnaire's ground, in a subsurface bunker. No security systems in the hall he's in, but the ones beforehand will wear them down a bit. He'll stand and fight in the bunker, but he'd cut and run if he was losing outside of it for the sake of reengaging on his terms later.
>>
>>51619514
>Melta and plasma gun
They'll win, but probably take a lot of damage unless if the melta and plasma dudes go first.
>>
>>51619773
So is the melta/plasma option the main force multiplier they need to have a chance? Four dudes with non Legion bolters/even a heavy bolter is probably a no-go, of course.
>>
>>51619833
A regular bolter can rarely hurt a CSM. A heavy bolter fares better. Plasma(on maximal) and melta are hard counters. A sniper rifle with manstopper rounds could do good damage if you roll well for extra dice.
>>
Is it easier to run Comrades in Only War as they're written or as normal NPC guardsmen in their own right? Does running them as a normal guardsman make them too much to plan around, or are they pretty tame if you just keep them to lasgun only?

I'm looking to slightly bolster a party of three people, an operator, medic, and psyker with a chimera.
>>
>>51620133
>Operator, medic, and psyker
Why
>>
>>51620202
It's what they wanted to play, despite a mention or two from me about a little more weapons diversity. I've got the bodybags ready, it's up to them if they want to jump in. I think it's expected the chimera will be a weapons platform.

And I thought we'd have one more player, but nope.
>>
>>51620133
Comrades are literally walking, killable bonuses. They don't do any damage, and take limited independent action. Having them as 'actual' characters is of course more 'fun' (especially since they need that extra bit of meat between them and the enemy), but in your case, I'd recommend :

Using the comrades as they are in the book ; although I don't really like the concept, the rules offer interesting options for the pcs
Adding a single or two fully-fledged NPCs, for example a stormtrooper or weapon specialist to bring some firepower.
>>
>>51613470
>Being a dedicated psyker in 2e is a mug's game
How so?
>>
>>51620400
That's not a bad idea, sits in that middle ground.
>>
>>51618633
Any single Chaos space marine vet have one notable advantage over any other humie git - tons of exp. Not mentioning being superhuman and stuff.
>>51619514
You've been given some advices already. Without powerful ranged(Lascannon, Plasma, Melta) or melee(Powerfist, Eviscerator) it's gonna be a tough fight.
However, if we are talking about veteran Legionary, and Alpha Legion no less, than it's imperative that you fight them the dirtiest way possible.
Spess mehreen sarge with fucking 300 years of exp must be an eggspert in fighting. Use him to ambush them even if they corner him, use grenades, smoke grenades, snares and all the possible shit to deprive them of any reasonable advantage.
Also give him some more weapons. What the fuck, he couldn't even got himself a bolter for zoggin 300 years? Doesn't matter if he's in the stealth gear, it's a folly not to take at least his power sword and "light" armour is still astartes scout gear, i.e. carapace.

Tho, seeing as you even have ask this, he's probably gonna die as ignominiously as possible.
>>
>>51621031
>Also give him some more weapons. What the fuck, he couldn't even get himself a bolter for zoggin 300 years?

Well, that's where I was trying to make it a little fairer on the players. Legion bolt guns of all types are still pretty heavy-duty against a regular acolyte, even just a pistol. And the "stealth gear" is literally "in disguise in a hive city", hiding an Astartes-sized power sword and carapace armor under a robe isn't easy even if you're Alpha Legion.
I've run Deathwatch before, so I'm not super concerned about not playing the guy smart, and I'm going to try not to make it too ignominious a death. I just don't have a point of reference except "Astartes versus Astartes" and they're way above any acolyte's level.
>>
>>51621205
Try building him in Black Crusade with an extra 5k exp or so. Alpha Legion is available in Tomb of Fate.
>>
>>51621282
Got it. Probably the best way to do it. I'll post back next thread once I've got a decent idea.
>>
>>51621205
>Well, that's where I was trying to make it a little fairer on the players.
The fuck are you gonna do that for? Fairer means honest, and depriving him of his most basic guns to make some shithumans last longer is anything but fair.
Giving him, say, Stalker Boltgun would actually be very thematic and absolutely rapetastic to those pesky acolytes.
>hiding an Astartes-sized power sword and carapace armor under a robe isn't easy
But it is fairly easy, especially if you mean literally. Moreover, Alpha marines are said to be of smaller statue and in a hive city will have little trouble pretending to be some bounty hunters, enforcers or other dumb, totally-imperial-swear-it brutes.

You ain't gonna be able to sit on both chairs, so it's either you portray him fairly and thoroughly fuck them or you portray him like another mob and he gets eaten for shits and giggles.
You choose.
>>
>>51621339
All right. Fair it is, and definitely keeping him in the background for the time being. Too early for them now.
>>
>>51621376
That said, if you players do decide to play smart and equally carefully, they might be able to outsmart him. After all, even a CSM of Alpha can fall to a mere hubris.

Also Black Crusade-built Alpha is quite suited for background fuckery, since his abilities all revolve around being resourseful as fuck.
>>
New thread?
>>
>>51621674
Go on.
>>
MIGRATE

>>51621747
>>51621747
>>51621747
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.