[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tiny Orcs Edition >What is /awg/? A thread to talk abou

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 52

File: 20161214_142909.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161214_142909.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Tiny Orcs Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
>>51481280

Further to last thread's chat about Urban War I dug out my collection and found:

6x Viridian Marine with Rifle
2x Viridian Marine with some kind of SAW
1x Viridian Sniper
1x Special Forces Officer (Trenchcoat woman)
2x Weapon Team crew (without the weapon teams)
2x Riot Shield Guy
1x Riot Shield Officer

PLUS, a shitload of VOID:

Old Icarus Trask(?) (Two Armblade guy)
1x Old Riot Shield Officer
1x Old Riot Shield Guy
1x Old Marine Officer
5x Old Marine with Rifle
2x Old Marine with chaingun
1x Old Sniper

PLUS Syntha

2x Cyber Bikini Babe
3x Big robot with minigun arm?
1x Huge robot thing with rocket launcher?
4x Android with shotgun and shield
4x Android with rifle

(I don't know what the fuck this stuff is)
>>
>>51544877
Update: I identified the Syntha on Scotia Grendel's website.

It's 3 Pointmen, 4 Grape Gun Androsynths, 1 Artemis, Neo-Pi, 4 Rifle Androsynths and 1 MLRS Teratosynth
>>
File: DAG6910_TitanMenial.jpg (103KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
DAG6910_TitanMenial.jpg
103KB, 600x600px
Look at this sexy muthafucka.
>>
Please don't forget the threadname and at least try to come up with a starter topic.
>>
>>51545810
Truly, OP does his family a great honor and living up the legacy that OP is a faggot.
>>
>>51546112
At least he linked it in the last thread.

>>51544970
Recently a group for Void 1.1 was made on Facebook and it includes the writers and designers of the original game and Urban War as well. This stuff has a really fascinating history...Target Games dies, UK branch starts Void 1.1, Kev White sculpts for them, so the Void minis could pass for Warzone minis - as far as I'm concerned some of them were made specifically for Warzone, but Target dies before that could happen. Really nice minis, overall, wish I could get the starter from Scotia Grendel as a bundle instead of separate items.
>>
Star Wars Xwing qualifies as a "light" wargame or not? any alternatives that are not fucking dead due a natualy incompetent company?
>>
>>51547030

More /hwg/ related really but TANKS by GF9 is pretty light and a similar manoeuvre game to X-wing.
>>
>>51547448
I see, well being honest I was still quite a bit salty overr the management Wizkids gave to D&D attack wing but from dragons to tanks I guess that's a good option too. personally I'm not much of a fan of SW. thanks
>>
>>51547694

I know that feel man, I was super hype for D&D Attack Wing when it was announced.

Should have known better, Wizkids are the laziest bunch of fucks on the planet.
>>
>>51547766
fuck them seriously. I kinda regret all the effort I put trying to bring people to know Dice masters now, the game now is in a healthy state but I can't bear anymore help to such an idotic company.
>>
>>51544877
Neat Viridian force. Sounds pretty brutal up close with the Heavy Gauss Rifles (the saw type weapons) and Shock Marines (riot shield guys).
Wonder what happened to the actual heavy weapons?
Which greatcoated female is it, the one just standing or the one leaping around with the stocked pistol? They're both cool minis whichever.

What's void 1.1 actually like? I read through the rules ages ago and from what I can remember it's basically Urban War. But I can't imagine the UW rules really working above skirmish level...
>>
>>51544877
What are those wee orcs? They're cute!
>>
File: DAG6908_L1ghtbr1nger.jpg (101KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
DAG6908_L1ghtbr1nger.jpg
101KB, 600x600px
>>
Not sure if this counts as "alternative," but Adeptus Titanicus coming back:

This is from Discord, from an Anon who watched the demo game they did Friday Evening

WARNING:: In coming stream of notes i gathered on Titanicus

Okay first off news that you already heard:
1 box set, enough titans for 2 players, ruleset, dice (including special dice for markers etc) and some terrain (possibly ofc)

Then they'll be booster packs released along side it. Simultaenously they plan and it will include the contents of the box.

I sense this will interlink with the force-org plan for how to play the game. The rule book (intended to accompany the set currently) has some preset force orgs, and they plan to add more in the future.

One example, which i just about manage to hear in passing conversation between FW employee and a fan was the "Myrmidon" (Myrm sometihng for sure) - from the brief glance it was 1 warlord, 2 reavers and 2 warhounds (likely as a minimum) - warhounds themselves can be in units of 1 - 3.

How this intergrates with knights I dont know. Knights are intended to either act as skirmish line/cannon fodder however they are very potent on the flank - if you let a band of Lancers hit your reavers flank you may very well be dead, similar story for Atrapos.

Handling units of Knights will likely be easier than handling Warhounds (if cohenercy is a factor) because Knights have no limitations on how they may maneuver with their arcs. Yes, moving includings rotating if you are a titan. The larger the Titan the slower the turn rate and other such.

I actually wish I brought a trio of knights instead because then I would be able to learn alot more about the game. I'll probably try to bring an aAtrapos and 2 styrix next time they do an event like this. Easier to carry for a start!
>>
>>51552948
Speaking of the Styrix - Titan scale Volkite is in! This certainly means the rule is in, no idea if it will be on the true Titans (will find out sunday) but given they wish to expand on the Titan types (No info just yet but its been stated previously) we can expect to find it then. In the past (eg, July iirc) Bligh has been open to adding Volkite weapons to the main stream warhammer titans - apaprently people have asked for Phosphex too but nothing yet.

ONTO THE GAME ITSELF.
Mechanically i was not able to directly play the game but I paid as much attention as I could whilst taking photos, and I think I have a pretty good perception of it. Conceptually its clear as crystal (sans knights but its easy to imagine the game with them)

Imagine titans as something of a giant battleship. Vehicle so vast they have armour differences for each location - Legs are actually quite strong on most titans. This is done because most things a titan fight will be attacking from below and you might imagine that titan vs titan combat, gettingyour leg blown out is badnews.

(The rules are for a certain FW. They even have a similar layout (but a blueish tint instead of red) to the book. The models themselves im not sure, will likely find out sunday)

However, not as bad as getting your fucking face shot up. Which happened on at least two occasions that game.

If your void shields are down, and your hit in the face, you can expect your moderatii to die and your MIU's severed.

A reaver titan may expect to survive about 3 bad hits to the face before being destroyed if memory serves me right (it had also been beaten up bad before)
You may be fearing "oh fuck alphastrike city" but you'd be very wrong (at least if your a titan, not sure on knights as none took part). Multiple reasons for this and I will explain the conceptual part first;

Ranges matter ALOT in this game. First turn only Apoc launchers and Volcano cannons were in range.
>>
>>51552963
(The titan weapons seen, turbo lasers, plasma blastgun, sunfury plasma annhiliator, laser blasters, melta cannons and inferno guns, all weapons that were not in range turn 1 (aside from one instance of for laser blaster/turbo laser i'll get to that in a moment)

Onto mechanically why: the game is done in phases like 40, however each "turn" each sides roll a D10 (yes the game uses d10s!) for initiative.

The side with the higher initiative activates a titan first.

For example (there weas a phase before this, which was not done in turn one, i;ll check my actual written notes soon) Team 1 moves a warlord titan. Team 2 moves a titan of their choice and so on.

Once all titans are moved, we enter the repair phase, where the tech priest on board will begin to repair any current damage. This can be stuff such as plasma reactors leaking etc. Then its damage control ; are these leaking system causing bad effects? what means are being used to dampen these?

I'll go back to more specifics once i've covered damage because its quite important.
We enter the combat phase after this. Naturally this where (most) the attacking happens.
Titans cannot split weapons without giving an order beforehand (more later). First you roll to hit as per usual however other factors are taken into account; dead moderatii, range (seemed to be for certain weapon types) and cover all adjust these values to hit.

Then, the enemy rolls a void save. This is dependent on how many void shields they currently have operating. Shields tend to become less effective as the game goes on due to systems being damaged and the shields being bombarded so less are operating at one time.
>>
>>51552978
Once the enemy has no shields (or they fail a save iirc) you will begin hitting them.
This is where things get interesting. the old familar D6+Strength, then a bonus if you flanked (there didnt seem to be side armour for each component. Probably for the best otherwise we might have 3 values for each damn piece and there are alot of pieces)

Then your total is compared against the various thresholds for that location. Normal, Critical, Devastating

Normal, obviously, just does damage. Critical and devastating you roll on tables.
These cause additional damage as well as special effects. Devastating ones tend to be permanent - such as a plasma reactor being blown open or a crew member being heavily wounded.

Thats the essence of the game. There are of course specific for deaths of a titan.
One such result is a rather understated "silenced" - crew is dead, perforated beyond function, but stands tall and remains on the board.

Another is "laid low" the titan scatters a short distance, then you roll for the direction it falls

Of course more dramatic explosions exist.
Before all this however (im not sure it applies first turn, it may of just been to help familiaries people with the game to skip it first turn) is Orders Phase.

Each titan has a number of orders. These include: Emergency repairs (bonuses to repairing but you either move, or shoot - you'll actually do alot of moving in this game. ALOT). Stride - immiedately move (iirc) but again, you must either move or fire.

There was one more orders but alas it was not used. OH WAIT. CHARGE.
Charge; move. make immiedate attack.. you may of course make another melee attack later.
>>
>>51552998
Melee combat, from what little i've seen is absolutely viable. A reaver punched another 4 times in the face, causing 2 criticals, forcing the enemy titan (which had a chainfist!) to back off like the Treasonous Legio Mortis pussycat it was
(Yeah repair was after move)

So how do you do orders?
Well if your the Princep Seniororous (no idea how to spell bullshit latin), you pass your order automatically everyone else makes d10 command checks.

Fail, and well, many guard players know what happens next; no more orders for that team.

We now also have something familar to Battletech players; heat! In this case its the plasma reactor.

You can boost certain actions by powering up your reactor.
For example movement can be exchanged for a better value that is listed in brackets, special rules of some weapons (for example laser blasters can be used to overpower a shield) can be activated ,some weapons require powering (Belicosa's for example)

Plasma weapons can be outright simply improved using reactor power, though the boosts do not work against void shields because of how these weapons work (so much like tabletop, void shields are countered by chaffire, though some strong weapon types can defeat them)

Another use is boostingyour shields. Declaring power to your void shields (it done per instance of weapon fired, so not like jinking) gives you the ability to reroll 1's.
So one believable tactic is to spook someone into keep overcharging their reactor, eventually they will overload it and bad things happen.

Bad things include the machine spirit trying to throw you off like a pissed off horse, forcing your princep to engage in a Machine-Spirit rodeo via a command check

As I mentioned earlier; titans manuervarability is limited. This includes arcs of rotation - you can charge and rotate btw
I believe thats everything besides some loose change intricasies.
>>
>>51553010
This includes no premeasuring.
Yes, currently premeasuring is not allowed. No weapon uses fantasy cannonball rules currently
If you failed to hit witha blast weapon, you scatter d10 (no direct hit)

Orders that failed - unit carries on as normal.

Voiods do not work in melee - this might be expected.
Overcharging will not (at least as movement goes) cancel your action. Unless of coures your dead.

One order I forgot, that made the game very interesting; First Fire. You fire a single weapon in the order phase, you may not move.

Points cost as per usual are the basis of the game balance (in addition too force org) weapons them selves have specifiic casts
Shields can regen, just like table top.

>End of Transcript
>>
File: aog concord 757181_md-.jpg (43KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
aog concord 757181_md-.jpg
43KB, 800x533px
Is it just me or do AoG minis look better with non-official paint schemes and different bases?
>>
>>51553968
Honestly, anything is better than Warlord's promotional pics.
>>
>>51549699
I am fairly sure the heavy weapons got lost in a move somewhere. I might just go on Scotia Grendel and buy new ones. It's the action pose officer, too.

I never played Void - I think someone gave me the minis as a gift.

>>51550181
They're from Pendraken 10mm. The Giant is an Age of Sigmar model.
>>
>>51554026
Fair point.
I really like the beveled bases on the minis though.
>>
>>51552911
Not sure how I feel about the crystals on the larger CORE models.
>>
What happened to all the games that were supposed to become big and then disappeared suddenly? Avatars of War, Wrath of Kings, Relic Knights, Dark Age and Warpath. They have sweet, sweet minis and from what I've heard not too bad rules, so why did they die?
>>
>>51555188
From what I understand, CMON is a huge pain in the ass for shops to stock. A colossal pain in the ass. Plus, it can take several weeks for the CMON shop to check and refresh stock for certain games, so if someone wants to get into a new game, and they find their essentials perpetually sold out, they probably go away with the impression that the game is dead, dying, or lacks support.

Most importantly, though, yeah the games look great, and seem to play well, but having a large userbase really does help the bigger games stay at the top. Why spend $100-200+ on a new game only to find that no one plays it near you? Why would someone with several hundred in another system want to take a risk and drop a few more hundred on a whole new system, when everyone else already plays 40k, WarmaHordes, or Malifaux? New players will want to go where the action is.
>>
>>51555188
>so why did they die?
None of the games you mentioned are dead.
Not being discussed on 4chan is something entirely different. 4chan is by no means representative.

Avatars of War is a deathmatch game. There is really nothing much to discuss.
They also started making minis for their Warthrone line which is kind of an alternative GW thing and they also have a cooperation with mantic where some of the Minis are being used for Kings of War.
Wrath of Kings and Dark Age are both CoolMini or not games. That's the only place to get them.
At least Dark Age is replacing all the old sculpts with new sculpts and they recently introduced a new faction. A dead game would hardly get that kind of attention.
Warpath is still waiting to have it's latest Kickstarter goals fullfilled afaik.

Relic Knights is owned by Soda Pop and they managed to let Hell Dorado die. So that is the only game that might be in trouble, because Soda Pop doesn't seem... invested in longterm sustainability?
>>
I am a bit disheartened by the big company games, without going in detail about that, and am looking for some recommendations. I would like to play a non-historical, 28-32mm wargame with medium-high model count (so no skirmishes) that isn't 40K or WMH but can still find games for in bigger lgs's. Medium-high would be about 25 models per player with variations depending on the list/faction.
>>
>>51555397
Do you count Warlord as big company?
If not you could give Gates of Antares a try.
If you're in britain you should be able to find some games, and possibly also in Germany.
There is a gamefinder thingy too. You could check that out first, before making any other decisions.
>>
>>51555511
I've already checked them out and the aesthetic just can't get to me. Also I live in a big city in the UK and never seen it played ones in any of the five game stores around.
>>
>>51553026
GET FUCKING HYPED.

I am unreasonably excited for this game. Is there any word on when it's being released?
>>
>>51555188
Warpath is far from dead. It had a very successful kickstarter, which I was to poor to take advantage of. It is coming out to retail proper March/April and I'll hazard a guess they are going to push it hard to catch the ever more ex-40k players and attract those who don't like Gates of Antares!
>>
>>51553026
>This includes no premeasuring.
>Yes, currently premeasuring is not allowed.
I wasn't expecting good game design, but I was still hoping they wouldn't be lazy fucks. At least it won't have TLOS cover, right...?
>>
>>51555397
Saga but with fantasy. Either the official zombies, or just use the rules for orcs and shit.
>>
What were the most recent books released for Kings of War and Warpath?
>>
>>51555967
Same issue as with gates of andares. The sculpts are ugly and nobody plays it in the biggest game store this side of england.
>>
>>51556015
>saga
>ugly

Get out. Gripping Beast does great plastics and metals.
>>
>>51556015
>The sculpts are ugly
but.

you don't have to use any particular sculpts? even the "official zombies" you can substitute for your favourite undead

jesus, dude, try not thinking of GAME + OFFICIAL MINIATURES as an inseparable whole
>>
>>51556015
>The sculpts are ugly
Yeah, you can any minis you like.
Just pic miniatures you like and go with that.

Though to be hones if you don't like the GW stuff (which i totally get btw), but you also don't want any historical games you don't have many choices left, cause most smaller companies do not push a lot of minis with their games since that would put them into direct competition with GW. Which is not a sound business decision for most of those companies.

Anyway, I assumed it would fall under 'big companies' like GW and Warlord, but what about Kings of War or Warpath and Deadzone?
>>
>>51556454
I prefer round bases and bigger model count so Warpath seems quite fitting. I am just afraid that it will burn out within a few months of release like it happened to all the other hyped up kickstarter wargames. I guess I will just stick to WMH even though mk3 suck big time.
>>
>>51555967
Why are the Revenants not on the Gripping Beast website? The category comes up as empty.
>>
>>51556015
>The sculpts are ugly
break your conditioning, use whatever you want
>>
>>51556578
>I am just afraid that it will burn out within a few months of release like it happened to all the other hyped up kickstarter wargames.
Well, I can't predict the future, but the worst case scenario is that you can still play Deadzone or another game with the minis.
Though honestly every game that isn't GW or Warlord could - in theory - die in the next few months.
I mean if everybody was so afraid of that happening that they won't get into something new the game wouldn't even have made it's kickstarter goals.
>>
>>51556579
Revenants were a limited edition thing. They're not really a part of SAGA proper and are gone now.
>>
>>51555188
Warpath is just in the midst of its restart, and I've still seen more games of it played with 40k minis than I have seen actual games of 40k. The First Wave shipment of minis are out now, with Vehicles due out in a month or two.

Especially with the Sigmarification of 40k looming now, people are pretty quick to do exactly what a majority of the Fantasy community has done, and jump ship to Mantic's offering.

>>51555397
You might want to check out Warpath: Firefight. It's the smaller scale version of the game that works right about that level. The rules are already out even if all of the miniatures aren't yet.
>>
File: Viridian SNipers.jpg (29KB, 500x195px) Image search: [Google]
Viridian SNipers.jpg
29KB, 500x195px
>>51544877
Got any picsof your Urban Wars stuff?

IMAGE board.
44 posts.
20 unique posters.
3 images.
Page 7.
>>
File: GoA starterset.jpg (207KB, 800x751px) Image search: [Google]
GoA starterset.jpg
207KB, 800x751px
I've got an opportunity to get the Gates of Antares starter for a third of the regular price.
That is I'd pay 10 bucks less for the rulesbook, two armies, templates and dice than if I was only buying the rulebook.

This is a pretty good deal, but not exactly a planned purchase. Wat do?
>>
File: 2017-02-04 16.09.42.jpg (308KB, 827x537px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-04 16.09.42.jpg
308KB, 827x537px
>>51557884
Welcome to my painting circa 2008, when primer was "I've got some black paint I guess", thinning paints was for fags and Vallejo smoke wash was detail in a pot*

*it isn't

All of it is getting stripped and redone.
>>
>>51557996
26 minis for a little over 30$ ? Go for it. At least you will get some plastic minis for conversions. You could always use them for Rogue Stars or other games even if Antares won't work out.
>>
For Anons that have played Dragon Rampant.

I'm wanting to use it for my 6mm element based gaming. I'm wondering about cohesian. The rules have a reference to multi-based units when you have several stands making up a single unit... But what if you have two or more separate units? So if I have 3 stands of 6mm orcs, all of which are separate heavy foot units, do I bunch them together, or do they follow the "Stay 3 inches away from each other" rule?
>>
hi guys, may i ask for a favour could you list all skirmish games you know?Everything goes, i am not looking for suggestions in particual, just a list of many games to check out when i hae nothing to do. Thank you very much.
fantasy
sci fi
other
>>
>>51560782
No, because that's a fucking million of 'em. To go TMP or BGG or somewhere and browse.

>>51560480
You're mixing terms - try separating units from bases/models.

A unit is 6 or 12 toy soldiers. Each unit has to be 3" apart from each other unit.

Each toy soldier may be a single toy soldier on a base or a base with a bunch of smaller-scale toy soldiers or something.

If you like movement trays, you might use a tray that has, say, four toy soldiers on it. That would be four of the toy soldiers in a unit, which would require an additional 2 or 8.

However, the number of toy soldiers doesn't really matter, because they're really just wound markers.

er.

look, if each stand is a separate unit, they stay apart. If you're using multiple stands to represent one unit, they bunch up and have to stay apart from other units.

units are basically, um. blobs of 1-12 bases, depending on how you multibase. Each base has to maintain coherency, each unit has to maintain separation. It's a lot easier to demonstrate and grok than it is to type out.
>>
File: confused-pug-main.jpg (37KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
confused-pug-main.jpg
37KB, 540x360px
>>51561100

>Look, if each stand is a separate unit, they stay apart. If you're using multiple stands to represent one unit, they bunch up and have to stay apart from other units.

>It's a lot easier to demonstrate and grok

"Stand = unit" vs "Many stands = unit". I think I grok.

So I will go stand = unit. So my 3 stands of dudes are 3 units, and they have to stay apart.
>>
>>51561337
Yes.

Basically.

Units have to stay apart, units have either 6 or 12 hit points typically represented by a single model per hit point but which are basically done however you like as long as it's clear and not dickish.
>>
>>51555252
>They also started making minis for their Warthrone line which is kind of an alternative GW thing and they also have a cooperation with mantic where some of the Minis are being used for Kings of War.
Close. They scrapped Warthrone officially and are making figures for 9th Age rather than for Kings of War. Their Arena game is still supported.

>Wrath of Kings and Dark Age are both CoolMini or not games. That's the only place to get them.
They are sold at stores (Including the one near me), but you are right in that they are awful with retailers due to the Kickstarters cleaning the market early on.

>Relic Knights is owned by Soda Pop and they managed to let Hell Dorado die. So that is the only game that might be in trouble, because Soda Pop doesn't seem... invested in longterm sustainability?
Relic Knights is getting a new two player starter set, so it certainly isn't dead. And the figures and rules are less awful than they were at launch, which is a plus. Hell Dorado died of its own volition and had the range bought out by Soda Pop as far as I know.
>>
>>51561663

My only exposure to Soda pop was ordering one of their minis pre-relic knights, and getting the runaround for 6 months before I finally got the mini poorly packaged and broken-in-blister.

Have they gotten over that?
>>
>>51561100
thank you anyway, didn't think of looking at tmp,but what is BGG, boardgamegeek?
>>
>>51544877

Maybe OP can help me.

I'm looking for 10mm or small bolt-throwers for a project. Can you recommend me any?
>>
>>51563104
To an extent. They are less bad, but I can't call them good yet. Maybe the Relic Knights 2nd Edition Kickstarter at the end of this month will change that.
>>
>>51566094
I think Pendraken have them in their fantasy ranges.
>>
Are there SAGA hacks, for fantasy or just custom armies?
>>
>>51568587

www<doot>a-fantastic-saga<doot>com/
>>
>>51568692
yo that's bretty cool
Poor undead cannot activate for shit
>>
>>51566094
http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Search.aspx?Search=ballista&AllWords=False

Here are some options.
>>
File: base sizes chart.png (2MB, 2478x936px) Image search: [Google]
base sizes chart.png
2MB, 2478x936px
>Page 10 bump

Do you guys play games with round, square or hex bases?
I think hex bases are kind of underused because games that have firing arcs or where model orientation is important the 30° angles come in handy. In any case I think it's better than marking the bases.
The only games that use them that I can think of are 1650 by tercio creativo, The Black Eye and battletech, which is played on a hexgrid.

In terms of aesthetics it also strikes a nice balance between round and square I think.
>>
>>51575061
honestly I think that round bases are the best, and I'm thinking of re-basing all my old whfb miniatures to round (even though I play with regiments)

the miniatures look better on their own, and you can still fit them in a movement tray, so it's pretty much a win-win situation
>>
>>51575313
Yeah round bases definitely look best, but I mean from a gaming perspective.
1650 has rules for attacking people from behind for example (at least from what I understand) and since the base can be used to be an indicator for the front and back 180° arc they help gameplay along.
Infinity has to rely on marking the arcs by hand or adding brass etch for example.
>>
>>51575982
warzone has round bases which come with a marking which makes a middle line, so you can have facing with rounds too. I do agree that hexas look pretty good, but i feel like they make too much of a statement,they aren't normal enough and would strike me as something strange.
>>
>"Coming at the end of summer from Ganesha Games, d20 based, highly detailed skirmish/GM-less RPG hybrid game for friendly games (based on the Rogue Stars engine but with less book-keeping. 4-16 figures per player, new magic system, hit location). 128 pages, 8,5x 8,5" full-color paperback."

Pretty interesting, looking forward to it
>>
>>51576637
Less book-keeping, RS engine, 4-16 figures? I wonder if he's dunking the Stress system as it is at the moment, or making some combination of "multi figure" units (for like mobs of zombies) that act together, or what.

I'll read it, I guess.
>>
Does anyone have (or know where I can get my paws on) a copy of early (anything from 1st to 3rd) editions of Starfire?

I got Ultra Starfire, but that shit's such an autism central, it makes Aurora4x look casual by comparison.

Thnx!
>>
File: 1342749211105.png (522KB, 505x656px) Image search: [Google]
1342749211105.png
522KB, 505x656px
>>51576637
>tfw currently writing something similar to this
>>
>>51555188
>Avatars of War
They are a company, not a game, and they switched to promoting 9th Age instead of their own game. Warpath Kickstarters just got shipped, and official production will take some time.

Also, I start a game because I like it. Noone plays it? I don't give a shit, if you aren't resourceful enough to find another guy or gal to play with, then shit man, get yourself together.
>>
>>51557996
Do it, faggot.
>>
File: 20170205_142523.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170205_142523.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Coming soon: an actual battle report on /awg/
>>
File: Bootiful.jpg (24KB, 216x282px) Image search: [Google]
Bootiful.jpg
24KB, 216x282px
>>51577778
Hnng
>>
>>51576679
He recently threw some 'redshirt' rules out for Rogue Stars.
If it's a GM-less RPG hybrid as he puts it, it stands to reason that you have a few detailed dudes and some expendable mooks.
If each of your 16 dudes is it's own character it would probably entail more bookkeeping than Rogue Stars.
>>
>>51577081

I thought about writing a game system of my own but gave up cos there is just way too much competition. Theres like a hundred different skirmish systems and dozens of wargame/rpg -hybrids... Just feels like you'd really have to have something unique to stand out.
>>
>>51578205
Well yeah. You either need the mathematical abilities, plus know a lot of shit about games, plus have exceptional writing skills and a little luck or you need to create a new model range and support it with your own game system.

That's why I'm not that excited for Rogue Stars. As an rpg player I've seen homebrew systems and subsystems that were executed much better than it is.
>>
Alright lads I've been wanting to get into Warhammer (both 40k and aos) but I have no fucking clue on how to paint the minis, I bought a set of orruk bonesplitters do you guys recommend trying to copy the design s on the box or try doing it myself?
>>
>>51578567
I'd recommend not getting into Warhammer.
>>
>>51561663

Wrath of Kings also has a pretty small model range that can be mostly covered by getting the starter box and a few small addons, which makes for a tight game but doesn't really make stocking them worthwhile.

I really like the game and got three armies for cheap on ebay due to people dumping their pledges, but if you want to get a scene going you have to do it pretty much entirely without store help.

On the bright side I think it makes a great sort of "board game" wargame where one player has a couple of armies and you just run a pickup games.
>>
>>51578419
>That's why I'm not that excited for Rogue Stars. As an rpg player I've seen homebrew systems and subsystems that were executed much better than it is.
I gotta admit that I was more excited about the game before I read the rules.
Part of that was how it was written though. It's very dry. Loads of tables and sometimes confusing, because you don't get an overview before you get into specifics.
>>
>>51578581
Why not? I'd like to learn how to pain the minis anyway since I wanna make a collection for a dnd campaign I'm planning, is it a terrible decision?
>>
>>51578567
This is the thread for people who are sick of warhammer, more or less. Might wanna go as in /40k/ or /aos/
>>
>>51578628
For the price of those models you could have gotten like a couple dozen minis more suitable for DnD from Reaper.

For painting, take a look at /hwg/'s painting and modeling trove.
>>
>>51578628

They're not terrible choices, but if you're just looking for D&D minis GW's lines are usually pretty expensive. If you have the cash and find minis of theirs you like then go for it.

As for your previous question, feel free to go with whatever sort of design you want. I would head over to /wip/ and check out some of the beginner tips there thin your paints which should help you avoid some early pitfalls. Worse case you can always strip paint from minis, so don't feel like if you fuck up they're ruined unless you do something really funky like soak plastic minis in acetone.
>>
>>51578567
There's both a 40k and AoS general for opinions on official schemes vs homebrew discussion. I think you'll get more useful answers there, because sometimes GW likes to retcon the lore of their setting and that means changes to the character of the army you are playing.
There are upsides to using an official scheme too. Since the studio churns out new material it'll keep things interesting for you even if you don't have time to do any gaming yourself.

If you just want to talk about painting in general I recommend swinging by /wip/.
There used to be a pretty comprehensive mega folder in the op with the GW painting guides and how to paint books. The older ones are a really good place to start reading, the newer ones are aimed specifically at GW's new range of paints. I mention this because the paints are formulated for specific tasks.
Things you were just doing via methods of application are now substituted in the GW way of painting by using a different paint pot.

Anyway, if you like what is on the box paint that. If you got another idea you like better go with that. It's what 'the hobby' is all about after all.
>>
>>51578593
Frankly you could probably condense all the information in the Rogue Stars book into half as much pages with decent formatting and rearrangement of rule parts.

More than half if the text will be targeted only at RPG players and wargamers.
>>
>>51578657
Which is why I asked here, because I'll get differing and valid opinions other than muh gw is shit that happens in most threads.>>51578661
I spent roughly 70 euros for all the stuff required to make them except the stuff that you need to make them like the glue and the mouldline remover. Although it would have been cheaper to get them off reaper cheape but I'd like to learn to paint minis>>51578711
I mean I can't just buy models left and right but I enjoy the orcs they have and I don't like To make like an army of them
>>
>>51578809
Fucking hell iPads are terrible, meant to say I'd like to make an army of ork boys
>>
>>51578809
For learning how to paint it would have been better to by something with more models and cheaper.

Say like this
http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=46
>>
>>51555670
Boxed resin game soonTM, possibly plastic if it does well, maybe infantry after that.
>>
>>51578925
I really, really hope they add infantry in.

As much as I'll enjoy Titan v Titan games, the possibility of recreating truly massive battles at a more sensible scale is too good to be ignored.

Imagine being able to play the Dropsite Massacre or something in 8mm, it would be absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>51579032
...you could just play Epic and be done with it.
>>
>>51579126
Can't be fucked trying to get a decent source for the models. I'm not going to go to some closed grognard private forum and beg and scrape for the opportunity to buy some ancient recasts. Also this way it will be supported and the techs come along a ways from when Epic was released so they'll have better detail.
>>
>>51579435
Old plastics are really fucking inexpensive, also tons of alternative manufacturers - Trolls Under the Bridge, Vanguard minis, Onslaught minis, half the IG regiments can be made from 6mm historicals...

Don't be a daft cunt, m8. Epic is well supported, but not by GW who couldn't give half a shit when it comes to their good games.
>>
>>51577778
For a moment, I thought they were Zaku's.
>>
File: IMG_0596.jpg (7MB, 5184x3888px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0596.jpg
7MB, 5184x3888px
>>51580153
It's Heavy Gear, close enough I guess.

Update: Battle report mostly written (all the crunchy in-game stuff is done), just the story to go with it to do.

In the meantime, a photo from the other game played today.
>>
File: image017.jpg (919KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
image017.jpg
919KB, 1296x972px
My battle report is now up. It was literally won by a combination of one lucky laser shot in the final activation, and the closest contesting enemy unit being half an inch too far away to make it a draw...

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/heavy-gear-blitz-battle-report-150tv-cncs-vs-ast/
>>
File: HGBB01-2.jpg (629KB, 1499x1081px) Image search: [Google]
HGBB01-2.jpg
629KB, 1499x1081px
Convince me not to buy this.
>>
>>51581941

Spartan games. Don't get it unless you want no support later as the game slowly dies.
>>
>>51581941
Two person game, can't play with yourself. Can you convince me you can convince someone else to play with you?
>>
>>51581941
Two words: Spartan Games

It won't get support or new models, like all their stuff
>>
Any relatively popular games with fishmen factions /awg/?
>>
>>51582013
>>>51579435
Kings of War just released a bunch of new kits for their fishman range.

See also Wrath of Kings and Deepwars.
>>
I've been playing a lot of ESO lately and fancy converting/sculpting some mini's for the setting. What sort of wargames could I play once I have? I'm sort of using the incentive of gaming with them as the reward.
>>
>>51582013

If you can wait a year, The Other Side has an aquatic faction.
>>
>>51582055
I dunno how the fuck that second quote happened.
>>
>>51581941
Just buy it. It's Halo, and 15mm. I am going to.
>>
>>51581964
>>51581994

That bad huh?

>>51581985

This would just be for shits and giggles. I don't have any friends.

>>51582425

Stop enabling me, senpai.

The minis sure look nice though.
>>
>>51582623
>This would just be for shits and giggles. I don't have any friends.

So you don't have any wargaming organizations nearby?
>>
>>51582688
There are a couple, but I don't really like other people all that much.
>>
>>51577778

> tfw I posted 2 video batreps on the last thread and no one even watched them
>>
>>51582746
I like pretty pictures, not poorly shot videos.
>>
>>51582746
I'll watch them. Post again.
>>
>>51582746
I am bad at spotting links, repost them please?
>>
>>51582854
>>51582888

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6jl0agJFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOx9x12XslQ

And an intro to the rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGiZh3QpEdA
>>
>>51582623
It's okay, fampai. Just let the sci fi goodness into your life. Incidentally, I won't have anyone to play this with either, because it's not 40k/infinity/warmahordes/fow. Gonna be sweet to have tho.

>>51583156
If it means anything, I did last thread, but didn't say nuffin.
>>
>>51583156
That looks a fun game.

Most of my 6mm stuff is on 40x20 or 50x25 bases, would that work for the ruleset?
>>
What's the thread general consensus on wrath of kings?
>>
>>51584186

I think it's a cool game but I've yet to actually play it in person despite owning a couple of armies (Teknes, Nasier, and Goritsi). The chart mechanic for damage is neat for making things quick, and I like how in a couple of respects it's like a weird combo of Warmahordes and Malifaux in terms of scale and how turns break down.

Only real downside I can see is that I really dislike the bases that come with the models since they have this weird concave center. Sure they're nice if you feel like putting in the effort to corkboard/spackle/greenstuff the hollow for some swanky bases, but for line infantry this gets pretty tedious.
>>
>>51584186

Good game that's pretty much already dead because CMoN are basically as bad as Spartan.
>>
>>51584186
I wish there were less special rules in like every unit, but it's cool
>>
>>51585057

That's enough to keep me away.

Looks like I'm movin on then.
>>
>>51566773
>>51571345

Much appreciated.
>>
>>51581526
Really nice.
>>
>>51578205
Just write the game you, yourself wish to play, for yourself. Not everything has to be mass-market.

I mean, you won't sell it, but that's not necessary really.
>>
>>51578661
>For the price of those models
I hate doing this, because do not give money to games workshop, but some of their stuff is reasonable, especially if discounted. I really don't mind paying £2-2.50 for a squad-style figure - for massed regiments I prefer £1-1.50, but I'll pay a little more for skirmish-based stuff, and you can get a lot of mileage out of some of their infantry. It's not all terribly overpriced.

It helps if you're playing non-GW games and don't need to follow their army structures.
>>
>>51585057
Aside from their Spartan-like issues, CMoN are apparently toxic as fuck to deal with as a retailer, which naturally limits their accessibility and spread.
>>
>>51582144
There's Scrollhammer. You'd need to get people to play with you, though.

Otherwise you could proxy them in for any fantasy wargame, probably best to go with 28mm.
>>
>>51583416

I imagine if everything is on same sized bases, then the actual size doesn't matter that much.
>>
I have a job again! Steady income stream! No more sleepless nights! Time to think of what to buy in a few weeks after I save up a few pay packets!

I'm thinking of expanding one of my warzone armies, my Bauhausers specifically, either getting another 2 squads of Blitzers or 2 Artillery Korp guns and another Vulkan. What about you fellas? What are you expanding your forces with in the very near future?
>>
>>51588212
>It's not all terribly overpriced.
Nigga, what. 30 britbux for a box of rank and file dorfs where half of the kit will end up in your bitsbox because apparently you can build two different kind of units from it. Also, 15+ GBP for a single fucking plastic character.
>>
>>51588854
Well, in February and March, I'll reinforce my Capitol and Imperial forces because found some old minis in a trade group - 1st ed Baseball cap and Football helmet troopers, Timothy McGuire, Major Kowalski, Free Marines (fuck yeah Free Marines), another box of Orcas (need to mould them because fucking christ, big metal eggs), purple sharks, and some this 'n that. As for other forces, nothing is planned, or at least nothing /awg/ related. I'm getting close to finishing my Enforcers for Firefight, and I don't want to add another couple dozen minis just to keep them unfinished.
>>
>>51588964
>Free Marines
Fuck Yeah!

I got a bunch of those little guys, enough to do an army based on them. I might even pick up some Capitol characters to lead my old 2nd ed. metals into battle.
>>
>>51588854
It's not exactly /awg/, but at the moment I'm working on finishing up some crusaders for SAGA. After that, I've a bunch of Rogue Stars crews to paint up and then maybe I'll finally finish my cowboys.
>>
File: oitw_sharkeswyvern_3_1000pix.jpg (205KB, 1000x762px) Image search: [Google]
oitw_sharkeswyvern_3_1000pix.jpg
205KB, 1000x762px
>>51588854
>What are you expanding your forces with in the very near future?

Probably going to grab the box for Sharkey's Chosen.
>>
>>51588854
>What about you fellas? What are you expanding your forces with in the very near future?

I've just ordered an army of motherfucking landsknechts and ECW cavalry for making a 10mm Empire army to go with the tiny orcs I posted in the OP.

Greatswords, Halberdiers, Handgunners, Knights and Cannons. Led by the King himself (depicted as Charles I), a Merlin-esque wizard and his great general (depicted as Prince Rupert of the Rhine).

I am considering painting them in quartered blue and white with yellow trim, in the vein of the House of Vasa.

Yes this is probably more /hwg/ territory but they'll be fighting orcs.
>>
>>51589651
>quartered blue and white with yellow trim, in the vein of the House of Vasa.
Also works as Nordland army for WHFB.
>>
>>51589651
>>51589961
Sorry I read that as yellow/blue with white trim.
If it's blue/white with yellow trim it works better as Middenheim.
>>
>>51590012
Either is possible.

I mostly just wanted to make it clear to opponents this is ahistorical by having a mix of German and English troops in Swedish livery...
>>
>>51589008
Did they make 2nd ed Free Marines as well? I've seen only the first ed ones.
>>
>>51576637

Is the Rogue Stars system good? Been looking for a small skirmish game. Not sure if I'll wait for this one or try Advanced SoB&H.

I like core SoB&H, but sometimes is a little bit bland
>>
>>51591888
It works. It is not a great system but at least it doesn't have any really glaring issues hard baked into the core system itself.

I don't like the overuse of counters and seeming problems with running mob teams with leader and many low skill minions.
>>
>>51588854
Thinking of getting some 10mm weird war 2 going on, with some konflict 47 light mechs as nazi/soviet gundams. Still have no idea what ruleset to use yet, although I enjoyed Ash's videos on Horizon Wars and they seemed easy to adapt.
>>
File: IMG_1237.jpg (514KB, 1320x990px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1237.jpg
514KB, 1320x990px
>>51593342
I've been looking for the Clockwork Goblins 15mm stuff and I think they might have stopped making them for now annoyingly; I can't find any of the products on their store page...

Speaking of K47 though, picked up some of these bad boys over the weekend! Really wanted to get some of the MMG Automatons too but the bank account wouldn't have coped. The quality of these guys is great, especially after having my standards lowered by how poor a lot of metal ww2 stuff is.
>>
File: ludus-magnus-logo.jpg (68KB, 430x409px) Image search: [Google]
ludus-magnus-logo.jpg
68KB, 430x409px
Anybody here tried Arena Rex? I had a pretty sweet demo game at a local con this past weekend, and in the aftermath my friends and I all bought in.

For those unfamiliar it's an alt-history gladiator skirmish game based on courting the favor of the crowd and pushing people into spiked pits. In the game's timeline the Roman Republic never fell, Caesar's nephew Octavian founded his own empire by conquering Gaul and Brittany, Antony and Cleopatra are the deathless god-rulers of Aegyptus, and the Vikings decided Europe was getting a little full and went West to make friends with the Algonquin tribes. Since all four nations are warlike nutters but are at relative peace, gladiator games have become the major form of international relations. There are also beasts and mythical creatures involved, either goaded into the arena as neutral hazards or controlled by one team or the other. There's a default arena size and format, but players are meant to experiment and try weird arenas and spectacle scenarios for kicks. I wouldn't call it a finely-tuned game, but it's easy to learn and appealingly cinematic.
>>
>>51588937
Not *all*.

£30 for 10 is overpriced and shit - that's £3 each - and the amount of things I can consider reasonably priced is dwindling, but some of the bigger boxes do get sensibly priced.

I don't factor the extra bits in to my maths, though. I don't give a fuck if it's £30 for 10 dwarves with seventeen full-sized sprues of alternate beard options, I'm still counting that as £3 per figure and not buying it.

Unless I really need a lot of badly-CADsculpted beards?
>>
File: Ywain01_1024x1024.jpg (103KB, 1000x655px) Image search: [Google]
Ywain01_1024x1024.jpg
103KB, 1000x655px
>>51593801
Also the sculpts are gorgeous.
>>
>>51593801
I backed the Kickstarter, couldn't afford two full forces, and now you can't fucking buy it in Europe so I can't get any more
>>
>>51583156
game seems nice, just a couple of thoughts, is there some kind of heavy artillery/bombardment thing?(excpet for the dogma of corse)During the video you are suggesting some changes which seem a little hasty to be made just out of this game's result, i hope you are more responsible than it seems when rebalancing the game.Lastly i feel like beating the defender, but not by double should have a bigger impact on him, but that's only out of wathcing these videos, so not that important an opinion.
>>
Spartan actually managed to get the rules for a new model out in advance. Sounds like they've actually hired someone new to manage DW
>>
File: shocked sybilla.jpg (153KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shocked sybilla.jpg
153KB, 1000x1000px
>>51594668
Fucking what?
>>
I figured here would be the right place to ask.

I want to get back into Epic after a very long time, and I vaguely remember a thread a while back where people were arguing about which ruleset is best to use. I was leaning towards NetEA but I was wondering if any of you fine gents knew of a better ruleset?
>>
File: DSCN0038.jpg (3MB, 3864x1755px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0038.jpg
3MB, 3864x1755px
>>51594974
Don't know any others as my Epic career consists of 4 games with NetEA, but it was fun enough.
>>
>>51591888
>>51592368
>I don't like the overuse of counters and seeming problems with running mob teams with leader and many low skill minions.
you are kinda supposed to use dice on your unit's stat sheets.
Not sure what you mean with the problems concerning mob team?

I'm not saying the game is perfect, just wondering what you mean by that. In my book have a leader and a few mooks is perfectly acceptable and in the spirit of the game.
Some of the example squads in the book are written that way.
>>
>Rogue Stars
Sans any special rules (like his red shirt rules or whatever), hordes of shitty units are highly dis-incentivized because those are just good ways to accumulate counters so the enemy can consistently steal initiative from you. 4 stress spread among 4 30pt mooks is the same as 4 Stress on your big 70 point guy for that purpose, yet your mooks might be able to do far less with their activations, and that's not talking about pins/wounds/deaths of your mooks also having the same effects as others.

That's all I can think of with problems of leader + many low skill minions.
>>
>>51595156
There is a good reason why SoBaH uses a multiplicative formula for point costs. Said formula can be simplified as Attack x Defense. Rogue Stars uses an almost linear formula instead. Which means that the more unit costs the more effective it is.

There is some corner cases but you almost always will be better off having 4-5 models than someone trying to do 1 boss plus 8-10 mooks.
>>
>>51594974
Both NEA and NetEpic are good. Just have a look at them and pick what suits your taste of writing and army lists more.
>>
>>51595312
Your wording is kind of weird (you're seemingly saying that in SoBaH you can't apply "the more a unit costs the more effective it is") but I think you're trying to say that RS doesn't offer diminishing returns on points put into a unit, while RS does?
>>
>>51595462
I think anon is saying that SoBaH does have diminishing returns whereas RS does not.
>>
>>51595462
", while SoBaH does"* at the end there
Whoops

>>51595495
Yeah, that's what he seems to be saying. I can't agree/disagree cause I dunno how the hell SoBaH point-costs things, but I do know it just has Quality and Combat as stats (and not att/def, but whatever)
>>
>>51595462
Sorry. I'll try to phrase it another way. I think the basic price tag for SoBaH comes actually from military theory.

But basically yes. While in SoBaH price is more "fair" to what unit brings to the field in RS you get more bang for your buck the more your unit costs.

Something like Cost / Effectiveness ratio. In SoBaH more or less Cost = Effectiveness. In RS Cost<Effectiveness after you go beyond certain threshold. And before that threshold Cost>Effectiveness. Which means that very cheap units actually detrimental to your group.

As I said there is some corner cases where this difference plays in favour of mooks but overall they are not good.
>>
>>51595592
How much of this problem is related to the "Seize the Initiative" mechanic being the way it is?

What do you think the advantage lays between 2x 30pt models versus 1x 60pt model?
>>
West Wind has a KS going on for some 28mm Weird War mechs, just FYI.

Not really my thing but thought it'd be worth mentioning in here.

4chan hates KS links so just search for 'Panzer Mech Weird WWII'
>>
>>51561663
>Hell Dorado died of its own volition and had the range bought out by Soda Pop as far as I know.
No, Asmodee decided to pull the plug and focus on board games (they even made a board game located in the same setting) and the licence/game (don't know the technical details) was sold to Soda pop. Which was as well, because the game was somewhat mismanaged under the old system (no proper english rulebook until Sodapop took over). They even made a kickstarter, which I think delivered the goods, and some new models with varying level of success. But I guess they messed real good the marketing, because you'd never see the game anywhere or know how to get them(unlike Relic Knights), I spotted new releases from the painters blog and pretty much nowhere else. So after some year they too pulled a plug and Helldorado died second time. Which is a shame because it had really cool setting and some of the best models I know. The game itself had some balance issues and other pretty common flaws of skirmish games.
>>
>>51595677
Hard to say just like this. Seize initiative is a part of this yes. Because mooks not only less likely to get an action but also have harder time getting initiative.

>What do you think the advantage lays between 2x 30pt models versus 1x 60pt model?
That also depends on how they are built and how they are utilised. But probably around 20-30 percent.

Try to build them with the same theme - say all three of them shooting specialist and see what you can get.
>>
>>51595831
Yeah, it's hard to say. IMO, the Seize Initiative mechanic is a problem for mooks. Their actions are inherently lesser (due to less skill), and yet are worth the same as non-mooks for initiative purposes.
I slapped together 3 shooters (who are Mercs or something I guess) and it looks like

Vet [60 exp]
-Assault Rifle (8 XP)
-Fixed Vibrobayonet (4 XP)
-Force Shield (14 XP)
-Veteran (6XP)
-Marksman L2 (12 XP)
-Weapon Master L1 (3 XP)
-Jump Pack (6 XP)
-Alert (2 XP)
-Reactive (5 XP)

Mooks, x2 [30x2 xp]
-Assault Rifle (8 XP)
-Fixed bayonet (2 XP)
-Force Shield (14 XP)
-Marksman L1 (6 XP)

Of course it's hard to look at this and know just how well each one will do. The Vet is obviously very mobile, a better shot, able to defend himself in melee better (and escape it), and is adept at seizing Reactions (Veteran's +1 to activations and reactions, and then Reactives +1). What happens here is that the Vet will out-maneuever the 2 mooks (to keep in cover or pin them down in melee) and will steal more reactions that the mooks generate, leading to their demise quicker.

I mean I'd take the Vet over the other two, but that's because I've always been a fan of elite units. It's hard for me to say like this that 1x Vet will definitely be advantaged versus 2x Mooks. They will put a lot of lead downrange and honestly they just need to get 1 solid hit to cripple an arm and that Vet is floundering.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832150598/panzer-mech-weird-wwii

Oh great, another WW2 mech game.
>>
>>51596237
It also allows him to take advantageous positions or get to objectives faster.

More scary thing is someone with multiple arms and ambidexterity. On 60 points it is not hard to pull off.
>>
>>51596652
You mean Secrets of the Third Reich, which came WAY before the others?
>>
>>51596707
Aye.
You know of any better-balanced campaign/warband systems with such "free" unit creation (ie, "you have 60 exp, make a unit")? Not SoBaH.

A lot of other systems (well, really, the few I know of) I see have rosters you more or less have to select from which defines much of a unit, and you get to edit them only a bit skill-wise (maybe), and then you buy some gear for em. I really like the more free creation of RS but I have noted these problems.
>>
>>51596652
>>51596759

As far as I can tell this is just for minis, not a rules set too. Probably to capitalise on people wanting K47 proxies.

Besides, of the Weird War 2 stuff I can think of, SotTR sucks and its 2nd edition died, I've never known anyone who actually plays Dust (or even someone on /tg/ to mention playing Dust), along with it getting shafted by that kickstarter hullabaloo, and Konflikt 47.
That's 3 games I can think of, only one of which is actually going anywhere.
>>
>>51596969
>As far as I can tell this is just for minis, not a rules set too.
Because it's made by the same guys who does SotR.

Might I ask why do you think it sucks? Seems like a solid rule system that can be played as a straight up WW2 game.
>>
>>51597026
>Because it's made by the same guys who does SotR

I know that, but search the page- SotTR as a rules set isn't mentioned at all. There's no mention of rules for them in SotTR, or even using them with the SotTR mech creation rules. Especially seeing as they're adding all the SotTR minis (but neither of the rulebooks) as add-ons for the Kickstarter, you think they'd make some mention of "Oh hey, we also have a rules set for playing with these mechs."
Look at the descriptions they use themselves- "We want to produce a range of 28mm (1/56th scale) WWII Mech walker kits for gamers and collectors"; "A little alternative WWII history. The Jotun is a new type of Mech walker built by the Germans in an alternative SciFi WWII". You'd have thought if they wanted to draw attention to using PanzerMech models in SotTR they'd have done so. But they haven't.

>why do you think it sucks?

Admittedly it's been about 3 years since I last played it, so I can't remember specifics. But my abiding memory of it is there being lots of omissions, hindered even further by the most atrociously laid out rule book I've ever encountered.
>>
>>51595312
>4-5 models than someone trying to do 1 boss plus 8-10 mooks
With the rules as written you are only allowed 4-6 guys with a maximum of 70 XP.
So while that criticism would be justified if you could have any given number of guys for your 200XP it does not really apply to the rules as they are written.
>>
Alright guys

1d12 or 2d6
>>
>>51597594
2d6, they are far more common, and tend to a less luck based games.
>>
>>51597352
Yeah. Author seems to know about that problem. We'll see what he will do with redshirts.

But it does limit available team combinations a lot. Which is a shame. Quadratic progression of trait/weapon cost probably could have somewhat lessened this problem.
>>
>>51597616
Do you really not have many 1d12? It seems like they're in plenty of dice sets, if only because DnD uses them
>>
>>51597619
>But it does limit available team combinations a lot. Which is a shame. Quadratic progression of trait/weapon cost probably could have somewhat lessened this problem.
Arguably this is not a problem. Cause the game was designed with the number of ~5 models in mind.
If he just wanted to do a carbon copy of SoBH he could have done that.

It only becomes a problem if you want to use more models.
In that case all the special rules and exceptions would be a bit to cumbersome for me personally anyway.
>>
Apparently Confrontation is back.
>>51591977
>>
>>51594668
>give her the D
>>
File: Sturmkonig.jpg (68KB, 798x387px) Image search: [Google]
Sturmkonig.jpg
68KB, 798x387px
I've got a question for anyone familiar with Gruntz.

Should pic related be a heavy or assault mech? And yes, I know it's 28mm, but my gaming group is just now trying out the rule set (with slight adjustments to movement and attack ranges) before we all jump to buy 15mm minis.
>>
>>51598355
>(with slight adjustments to movement and attack ranges)
I cannot answer your question (because I have not played Gruntz) but I am wondering about this (what are you adjusting), why you're doing it, and why you're doing it before apparently playing it, if you can.
>>
>>51597652
I have three, but then not everyone than plays wargames plays rpgs, or the other way.
>>
>>51598425
The ruleset is designed for 15mm miniatures, but understandably the vast majority of our collections are 28/30mm. Looking online, others have already done conversions for this, and the rulebook itself states that scaling the game up or down is fine.
>>
>>51598492
That's fair

>>51598498
Ah, adjusting for miniature sizes. Of course.

Also thinking about it more (again, I still haven't played it) I'd classify it as a heavy mech simply because "assault" makes me think highly mobile spearhead close quarter "shock" troops. That thing, with its HUGE guns and all of its legs in the back make me think it digs into a spot and shells an area. Not at all fitting my definition of assault.
>>
>>51591188
Nah, It was just those 1st ed. ones, there was a very limited run of another free marine character by excelsior when they were doing ultimate warzone. But then they went belly up and a lot of cool shit they cooked up never came to fruition.
>>
>>51598615
Shame - tho the Void marines could be used as well IMHO.
>>
File: Clansmen.jpg (12KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
Clansmen.jpg
12KB, 275x184px
>>51558254
>All of it is getting stripped and redone.
>All of it
Noooononono, son, that's not the way.
You save one from each epoch so you can look at them each time you fuck up a new paintjob.
"Hey, this looks like dogshit compared to the guys I turned out last weekend, but at least it's not Ol' Accidentally African Assault Trooper from 1994."

At my parents' yard in the loft I have a couple of these boys that look like it was watercolours on bare plastic.
I've probably got one of every generation of Clansmen between then and 2012, thinking about it.
I'm not that good now, but I'm a shit of a lot better, and it's reassuring to track the progress every now and then.

AAAnyway, how does Urban War actually play?
I've never seen it in the real world, and I can't find a watchable vid on the toob.
>>
>>51579435
Breh, there are plenty of "totally not epic 40k" mini makers out there. Simply Google for 6mm or 1:285 scale sci Fi minis and you will find them.
>>
>>51598912

AAAnyway, how does Urban War actually play?
I've never seen it in the real world, and I can't find a watchable vid on the toob

From what I remember you assign tokens in.secret to each of your guys, determining when in the turn they activate. If you activate in the first phase, you are less accurate, slower etc (it's snap shots, unready actions etc) but you act before guys doing second phase actions (aimed shots, sprinting etc). Or you can choose to overwatch.

Your guys also have Calibre, which is a ranking determining how many actions they get when they activate as I recall. A troop might be 10pts at Calibre 0 (no bonus actions) but 25pts at Calibre 3.

Stuff rarely has armour saves better than 9+ on a d10, but guns aren't that accurate. If you get shot at and survive you have to make a morale check or miss your next action.

There's shitloads of weird guns and equipment plus cool weapon rules - snipers inflict an extra wound for every 2 they beat their to hit score by, for example.
>>
>>51544877

Oh hey I posted this in the PDF share thread, but I should probably share it with you guys, too.

Two Hour Wargames:
https://mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ
>>
Ignoring the obvious answer of just rescaling a game what are some decent games you can play on a 2x2 board?

Just wondering if it's possible to repurpose my Deadzone stuff.
>>
>>51600500
I think Bushido uses 2x2?
>>
>>51600500
Force on Force can be played on such board - so I guess you can play Tomorrow's War as well.
>>
>>51598912
PDF, away!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0RVXAB_sPaKbzhZNjByMm9FRnc

I always find Urban War super fun to play, on the rare occasions I can find opponents.

>>51600007
>From what I remember you assign tokens in.secret to each of your guys, determining when in the turn they activate. If you activate in the first phase, you are less accurate, slower etc (it's snap shots, unready actions etc) but you act before guys doing second phase actions (aimed shots, sprinting etc). Or you can choose to overwatch.

This is kinda right aside from the first phase second phase thing which I've never encountered.
Before rolling for initiative, both players assign in secret either a snap-fire or overwatch order to all of their troops. Initiative roll then happens, the winner then reveals one of their snap-fire orders, resolves the order (fire, move+fire or double move [called rush]) then their opponent reveals a snap-fire, and activations alternate from there. Overwatch units can either shoot or intercept charge but need to take a morale check first, so putting lots of stuff on overwatch can be risky.

Cal gives a couple of bonuses- when rushing & charging you add the cal as inches to the units move, and you add your cal to your melee initiative (first strike) and to morale checks.

Stuff rarely has an armour save full stop, but anon's right. Most of the time you're rolling one die for a weapon so your chances of hitting aren't great, but if something does hit it's probably killing someone.
>>
>>51596652

>>51595758

O-ok...
>>
File: Resurrection.png (2MB, 1496x871px) Image search: [Google]
Resurrection.png
2MB, 1496x871px
>>51597822
Please, please switch back to metal. No one thinks that the plastics were any good.
>>
>>51601132
>Please, please switch back to metal
NO
>>
>>51601132
Why would you not want to switch to the obviously superior material, resin?
>>
>>51593801
I have it, but I can not find anyone to play with.
>>
>>51601175
Do you really think that pre-painted made in China figures are better than the original Rackham figures?
>>
>>51600699
It's very possible as that's a 2e rulebook I was playing an older edition?

I could have sworn there were two types of action.
>>
>>51601341
That would work as well. The few resin figures they did like the Aarklash dragon came out pretty well. The plastics on the other hand were what killed the game in the first place.
>>
>>51601885
Yeah, snap-fire & overwatch; there's no tiers of snap-fire.
I read through the Void 1.1 rules which are basically the same and I don't remember anything about tiers of snap-fire in their either.
>>
>>51594668
>give her the d6
>>
>>51591888
I like it but it feels like the book was rushed.
I was thinking about a lot of mistakes and stuff that is getting added post printing while working today. It feels like the game has been getting played for a few years by a handful of guys who enjoyed it very well. However, they started house ruling everything and they balanced it out terrifically. They then got a buddy who works in publishing who loves it too. He asks if they will let him print it. They agree. He rushes it through without ever knowing that all their house rules were not in the old documents.

I think this book is more of a guide for ideas where you are almost required to house rule things for them to make sense and encouraged to make each campaign more personal.

Learn the basics with your buddies -> Get drunk -> Have vaguely memorable games with stories on sci-fi adventure.
>>
>>51601341
My issue that resin can't do a lot of very small and fiddly parts. They could do hybrid bits I guess, but it is downsides like that which make Infinity figures 100% metal. Otherwise resin is fine. I feel like its reputation was hurt by GW's incompetence.
>>
>>51600093

Thanx m8!
And good work - it's nice to see THW get some love around here.
>>
Hey guys kinda new to the whole tabletop war gaming thing. Anyone know some relatively popular fantasy and sci-fi skirmish games? Looking for something with a non standard turn order (no I go u go), relatively bloody, and good amount of painting and modelling available.
>>
>>51605644
Does alternating activation count? Try Infinity, Malifaux, or Guild Ball.
>>
>>51605682

Yeah something with a very active for of play would be great. I'll check those out.
>>
>>51605385

Yeah, someone turned me on to them a while back and I've been liking it so far. I dug around and gathered up like three different people's THW collections from across the net and merged 'em all together.
I'm thinking I might run a Chain Reaction fecht once I'm confident I have the rules down a little better. Fecht threads are one of my favorite things from old /tg/ that don't seem to be around anymore. Hope I don't get banned for running a "quest"
>>
>>51600500
Pulp Alley prefers 3x3, but it's a great game and works fine on 2x2.
>>
>>51594185

New batrep has super heavy tanks which fit that role. I just didn't have them painted for those first couple videos.

As far as rebalancing, we're really just balancing at this point. These are literally our first couple of games. We're just getting to see how things work in practice as opposed to in theory.

Failing a shaken test can be devastating, you'll see that in our next report. It leaves you a sitting duck for the next turn.

Thanks for taking the time to watch. Check back on the channel in a couple of days, we have a new batrep that will be up soon.
>>
>>51605644
I'd recommend Deadzone - takes 2'x2' of space, approx. 10 minis a side, quick and bloody, has a good number of unit and factions, the starter is relatively cheap and has everything you need (including terrain, tho you might want to add some more to it), but I'd ask around your FLGS first if there's any interest. If not...well, solo gaming is fun as well, but it's up to you.
>>
>>51605851
Not the same Anon but a fecht would be great to see. I'm really tempted to buy that fantasy gladiator ruleset that 2hw made, specifically for some song of swords style fechting.
>>
>>51607483
>>51607483
It's a great game with nice terrain and figures, so I'll second that.

You can also use the figures as a base for Warpath and Firefight too!
>>
dumb question but smaller minis means also cheaper minis?

what are some easy access wargames? I mean I know brickwars but I don't really think my friends would be up to play with legos in replacement of miniatures or something like that...
>>
>>51610221
Do you mean ease of access as in cost or in terms of ease to learn?
>>
>>51610442
cost
money. I don't mind rules and my friends are not complete retards luckly, so I think they can learn a few rule sets of two.
>>
File: 6mm army.jpg (232KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
6mm army.jpg
232KB, 760x570px
>>51610479
Smaller miniatures do tend to be cheaper, allowing for larger battles.

However, if you really want cheap miniatures I'd suggest checking out /hwg/ and its miniature list.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

Historical miniatures tend to be cheaper as competition drives down the price, can't copyright a t34 or Panther you see.
>>
>>51610534
Looks cute
also you've got my interest. should I got there and ask for some advise?
>>
>>51610585
oh yeah PD:
those are historical games, what about some Scifi-fantasy or anything outside the realism sphere?
>>
>>51610585
I would definitely recommend it, /hwg/ are a friendly bunch.
>>
I have a question regarding Warpath with attack/damage allocation and shields.

It seems like Units (which consist of several teams) target other Units in their entirety, not merely Teams attacking Teams, and then damage deletes Teams as they beat intervals of the Units "Resilience"? (Looking at the examples on pages 43 and 45)

So how does this interact with Shields? If I have 1 Unit that consists of 3 teams of Marionettes, does the Unit only deflect the first 3 hits received in all, or the first 9? And then how would the shields be overloaded?

Also if I have to target Units like this (?), why wouldn't I just make 3 different Units of Marionettes with 1 Team each? I suppose Orders target a Unit so they'd be less efficient, but...
Also, what are the differences between Warpath and Firefight? Why would I choose one over the other? They seem very similar. Even their scales seem the same, with basic teams being made up of 5 models.
>>
>>51594974
NetEA is Epic Armageddon with some points adjustments and custom lists. Netepic is Space Marine 2e.

I think EA is a great ruleset and doesn't require all that many minis to play. But I don't know how to play Space Marine, so I can't really directly compare.
>>
>>51610221
>cheaper minis
>lego
aha

Get two boxes of 1/72 plastics and play some five men in normandy, or some of em4's space troopers and play some fivecore.
>>
>>51612022
also caesar do some pretty decent 1/72 boxes of ratmen, lizardmen and so on. one box'll get you a decent chunk of figures for a tenner.
>>
>>51610534
Every time I look at Perry Miniatures site I feel some kind of awe. The ratios between price, number of models in the box and their quality does not leave space for much else.
>>
>>51610221
it depends, if you keep the model count and just reduce the scale, then sure, you'll have massive savings.
if you go full grognard and try to make 1:1 6mm waterloo then you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>51612347
>if you go full grognard and try to make 1:1 6mm waterloo then you're gonna have a bad time.
I don't think that will happen. heh.
>>
File: Game.jpg (101KB, 797x419px) Image search: [Google]
Game.jpg
101KB, 797x419px
>>51612393
I'd say historical guys can beat in craziness even those who play epic 40k in 28mm.
>>
>>51612505
Eh, multiply the ranges by 4 and use a CD with 3-7 guys on it as an infantry base and you can play Epic with 28mm figures. A hell of a lot better than playing fucking 40K with them.
>>
>>51612505
Lovely pic. but even before thinking in getting into that I should first find a game for me and my friends to play.
>>
>>51612601
I mean, you'll be playing a small game... and probably playing down the length of a 10'x6' table or something rather than a full epic game, but still, fun times.

Or just use smaller multi-basing. 60mm round works for 28mm, it's what matakishi uses IIRC.
>>
>>51612615
...or just get some fucking 6mm armies for the price of a single Getting Started box.
>>
>>51612672
28mm has a style all its own, comrade.

but yeah 6mm is cool too.
>>
>>51612602
You can try wargames like Rogue Stars, 5150 (based on Chain Reaction) and Song of Blades and Heroes.

They work with any minis that are around 28mm in size. And you can scale them up or down for smaller or bigger minis without much trouble. Rogue Stars and Song also has rules for bigger creatures. Don't remember about 5150.

If you will spend some time to find cheaper minis that you like you probably can go at around 10$ per player at the start. (Not including paints)
>>
>>51612700
A style that doesn't fit Epic-scaled games.
>>
Alternative-BMP
>>
File: EotBS_Large.jpg (67KB, 580x341px) Image search: [Google]
EotBS_Large.jpg
67KB, 580x341px
Spartan finally has renders of all the KS models up.

No wonder they didn't show them all during the Kickstarter.
>>
Dear god, that's awful in my opinion.
>>
>>51614941
Looks like it's from a cheap boardgame.
>>
So with the new Adeptus Titanicus minatures, do you think the new Warhound will be about suitable size to use as a counts-as Reaver or Warlord in Epic Armageddon? While I like the oldschool doghead warhound (and own several), the larger titans don't do much for me.

Speaking of which, whats the consensus as using larger titans? Currently the most expensive unit in my Space Marine force is termies, and that seems awfully easy for the opponent to take out for their break their spirit objective.
>>
File: Peregrine_Web_580.jpg (25KB, 350x221px) Image search: [Google]
Peregrine_Web_580.jpg
25KB, 350x221px
>>51614941
There are some good looking models, but where's the fun in that?

Here's an overweight baby Doncaster bomber.
>>
>>51615206
They're going to be in 8mm, but then again the old FW Epic Titans were undersized for 6mm, so the scale is fucked to hell. I wonder why they'd do something like that.
>>
>>51615546
They probably wanted to have a proprietary scale. But even then, why not just do truescale 6mm? As you say, old Epic Titans are nearly 50% the size they should be.
>>
>>51615546
Every third party manufacturer does 6mm minis for Epic. They upped the scale, and the fanboys will buy it and despise those who have the 6mm stuff.

Pure and simply to make the competitors disappear.
>>
>>51615624
It isn't really a given that Epic is actually even coming back though. The only thing that's guaranteed is the new Titan game.
>>
>>51615649
Don't worry, if it's succesful, the rest of it will come back as well, I'm pretty sure about that.
>>
File: RC_Onega-1.jpg (59KB, 580x474px) Image search: [Google]
RC_Onega-1.jpg
59KB, 580x474px
>>51615512
And a Russian cruiser sculpted in the finest marshmallow.
>>
>>51615620
>>51615546
they say they chose that scale because that was the smallest they could go but you could still recognize different marks of power armor as different marks
>>
File: Dynasty_Web_580.jpg (80KB, 580x458px) Image search: [Google]
Dynasty_Web_580.jpg
80KB, 580x458px
>>51614941
Hey a lot of the designs are good designs. The KoB repair vessel and FSA Bombard especially.
>>
File: CoA_Submariine_Web_580.jpg (85KB, 580x342px) Image search: [Google]
CoA_Submariine_Web_580.jpg
85KB, 580x342px
>>51616339
Yeah, but that's no fun. I mean, none of the nations has shit across the board, but they all have something sub-par.
>>
File: FSA-Monitor_Web_580.jpg (49KB, 580x365px) Image search: [Google]
FSA-Monitor_Web_580.jpg
49KB, 580x365px
>>51616417
I'd much rather give praise for Spartan doing something right for a change.
Some cool looking models, Kickstarter seems to be running on track, finally releasing stats for the new BBs before model release.
>>
>>51615206
The scale of Epic has always been all over the places. Don't worry about it as long as it looks kinda right.
>>
File: CoA_Large_Web_580.jpg (58KB, 580x306px) Image search: [Google]
CoA_Large_Web_580.jpg
58KB, 580x306px
>>51616584
Seems the new guy they hired is actually doing some community interaction.
>>
Ok, I'm gonna be honest. I'll wait to reserve my judgement of the models if and when I see them in person. That Prussian battleship looked a lot better in person then I thought it would.
>>
>>51581964
>>51581994
actually the game has been getting quite a bit of support since it came out, it's been 6 months and the only month it didn't get new units was on January.
>>
File: CoA_Web_Duo_580.jpg (69KB, 580x313px) Image search: [Google]
CoA_Web_Duo_580.jpg
69KB, 580x313px
>>51617101
>>51616339
Incidentally, the new Coa fast battleship looks really sweet.
>>
File: DWCA54-2.jpg (183KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
DWCA54-2.jpg
183KB, 900x636px
>>51618583
>>
>Spartan games
I would gladly pay for their games but with all their issues in regard public attention, i think maybe not.
>>
File: CoA_Web_Duo_580_2.jpg (92KB, 580x328px) Image search: [Google]
CoA_Web_Duo_580_2.jpg
92KB, 580x328px
>>51618645
Call me a bleeding optimist, but I'm hoping the survey answer of 'sort your fucking shit out Spartan' knocked some sense into them.
>>
>>51611267
I was part of the rules committee whilst developing this game and let me tell you something about which one you should choose: neither.

The warpath rules took over 2 years to develop and are still barely finished, the main designer decided to keep going in one direction whilst everyone urged him not to. They didn't even want to make the firefight version and only after fans threatened to bail on the project they decided to rush development on another designer. That version wasn't ever checked by the rules committee before being released to the public.

Overall warpath just makes me kind of sad, they have now released a total of 4 different versions designed by 3 different people, and the game has just been getting worse.

Maybe on day mantic will actually put the money up to hire good designers and warpath will get the treatment it deserves...
>>
>>51618752
me too. I like werid settings and dystopian wars fits perfectly my needs of weird shit in general.
>>
>>51618851
Fucking Mantic.
Do you have a different preferred system that'd fill the same hole Warpath tries to fill? Company-scale (platoon? whatever scale it's at) infantry with light vehicle support sci-fi battles with decent (but not excessive) crunchiness and noticeable differences between armies?

I know there's stuff like Gruntz and Clash on the Fringe which I have (very) slight experience with, but I was hoping Warpath would work, because it'll be harder to convince my buddies to try a system where they have to build all their actual units piece by piece rather than selecting from army lists like Warpath. But if I run into these questions and oddities right away (seriously, how's that Shield thing work?) in Warpath, I dunno how well that bodes, especially when I add on your suggestion here.

The other alternative I know of (and I know of very little) is like WH40K and I don't feel like playing that. IGOUGO alone kills me inside, and then there's the rest of it.
>>
>>51612601
I think he was making a joke about 40kek's Apocalypse gameplay.
>>
>>51619004
Those titans that are the size of a man's torso are some of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen, and I mean that in the worst way possible.
>>
File: 1375070003219.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1375070003219.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>51619094
>"Let's turn the 28mm scale skirmish game into battalion sized game play guys"
>40kek spergs actually buy into it

Ugh, I know.
>>
What do you like in a wargame?
>Scale
>Narrativist vs Gamist
>Your Dudes vs Canon
>Campaign vs Independent games
>>
>>51619290
I like two sorts of games:

> Small scale, warband stuff
> Diverse models, every dude in the warband is distinct
> MAXIMUM your dudes

> Large scale, high-level warfare
> Small model scales, inevitable figure scaling (doesn't bother me)
> As close to a simulation of real command as possible whilst still being fun and playable.

Also I have the model in that picture, it was real fun to paint.
>>
>>51619290
Your dudes, I can't stand having to fit my army to someone else's canon. I'll write the story of my army through play.
I think you can have both strong narrative and strong tactical play, no reason to have to pick, but I guess I'll side with game.
Never actually played a long campaign so I won't comment on that.
>>
>>51619434
> I can't stand having to fit my army to someone else's canon.

This is why I like settings that have a lot of room to fit in your own stuff. 40k is excellent at this, its other flaws notwithstanding.
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
6-10mm for warmaster sized affairs. 15mm for most things. 25/28mm for skirmish.
>Narrativist vs Gamist
Both are fun.
>Your Dudes vs Canon
My dudes, usually.
Both, but independent is easier to get someone else to play.
>>
>>51618994
Tomorrow's War? I'm not quite sure how, but quite a few people say you can use 40k models in it with their own stats and the rules seem pretty fun at a glance.
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
No real preference, I adore 28mm skirmish and 10mm mass battle though.
>narrativist vs. gamist
I don't think these are mutually exclusive, but I think that narrative should take precedence over rules in casual games.
>Your Dudes vs. Canon
It's best if Your Dudes fit with the canon, but canon is up to your interpretation so I guess Your Dudes.
>Campaign vs. Independent
I enjoy a good campaign, but I hate when games don't give the option for independent games. I'm inclined to say independent for this one.
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
28mm mostly, though also whatever scales Firestorm Armada & Dystopian Wars are. Been looking at 15mm a lot lately as a cost saving measure though.
>Narrativist vs Gamist
I feel a good set of rules should be your base, because then you can apply a narrative over the top of that. I'd rather a really good set of balanced rules I can narrate over than a janky-ass rules set which attempts to weave narrative into gameplay. Ideally the game facilitates the narrative- Infinity & Urban War are good examples of this.
>Your Dudes vs Canon
This is an odd question to me. Surely you picked a faction which appealed to you because of their canon representation, and the canon of the faction is what you build your idea of your dudes around?
Never really played a campaign game properly, though I'd like to.
>>
File: The-Time-Traveller_01.jpg (244KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
The-Time-Traveller_01.jpg
244KB, 1600x960px
>>51619290
Campaign based narrative your dudes skirmish games.
It's what takes advantage of the benefits of the hobby the most. The other bits are better for video games.
>>51619333
Who makes it? I'd love a copy.
>>51619434
>warmachine and malifaux
I do not play these games for EXACTLY this reason.
>>51619434
Narrative and Competitive fairness come at odds with things like random events, warbands growing in power at different rates, that sort of thing.
>>
>>51621514

>pic

Is that Eddie? Oh man, I want one of those.
>>
File: ed008f.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ed008f.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>51621656
I've got a heroclick of him, because I couldn't not buy one of the iron maiden album cover model blind bags that were at my FLGS
>>
>>51621705
that paintjob tho, oh dear
>>
>>51621514
>Narrative and Competitive fairness come at odds with things like random events, warbands growing in power at different rates, that sort of thing.
For all its other problems, I liked Frostgrave's way of handling this for minions. Upgrades are expensive, and the d20 means even a +4 bonus is only 20%, so being more upgraded is nice, but not a guarantee.
Pity about the wizard balance, though.
>>
>>51618994
There is also Stargrunt 2. Never played it but reviews overall seem positive and it is free so you can check for yourself.
>>
>>51622663
It's a prepaint
>>
Why does house nasier minis for wrath kings have to look so cool yet have to be tied to a bad company? (so I hear)

Also you guys hear about confrontation resurrection? Anybody know anything about the confrontation universe and mind filling me in on why people think it's so cool?
>>
>>51622837
I know, but doesn't mean it's not fucking nasty.
>>
>>51618994
Warzone would be right up your alley, from the sounda of it.

Visually distinct armies, not a super high model count, alternating activations, non-shit their rules.
>>
File: MidNorDwarfClan_NMBC01.jpg (27KB, 539x264px) Image search: [Google]
MidNorDwarfClan_NMBC01.jpg
27KB, 539x264px
>>51622849
They had beautiful miniatures. And an awesome take on evil Dwarves, which had a starter set that was Chess themed.
>>
>>51622849
I wouldn't say CMON are a BAD company, per se. They make some really stupid decisions(like their idea that you should only be able to buy directly from them and that stocking retailers is secondary), but WoK is a solid and fairly dun game. A bit too symbol heavy at times, but still a good game at its core.
>>
>>51605644

Anybody have any other games they'd recommend?
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
28mm or something around that is the sweet spot for miniatures for me. Prefer skirmishes over big battles.
>Narrativist vs Gamist
Ideally the rules should be solid and have a bit of flavor. The reason I get into a game are the minis and the background, the reason to stay would be the rules.
>Your Dudes vs Canon
If the canon doesn't strike me as interesting I don't have the inspiration for your dudeisms either.
Rules that work for independent play.
Campaign rules are nice, but you can still play a narrative campaign without the rules if you want to do that.
>>
>>51623078
Still waaaay better than Monsterpocalypse in terms of symbols. I use that as the benchmark for how not to do a symbol system for a game.
>>
>>51623311
>>51623078

Symbols? What do you guys mean?
>>
>>51623367
Like instead of using words they just have symbols or icons.

My beef witb WoK and how it uses them is that more than half of them seem to do the exact same thing.
>>
File: Gorbal-Card-1.jpg (112KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
Gorbal-Card-1.jpg
112KB, 685x960px
>>51623367
This is a WoK's stat card. Each one of those symbols on the column on the right is a different result when you roll against it, like the lightning bolt is a strike, and the arrow is a dodge. There's 7 different ones on the defense chart. Honestly, though, the only one you have to worry about is magical defense causing a backlash against magical attacks. Everything else sums up to "lightning is a hit, skull means 2 hits, and everything else is a miss unless the attacker's card says otherwise". The attacks all say which ones they ignore, like an attack listing Sundering says it ignores the first armor result on the chart.

It used to be a little weird, since there was some results that didn't work against ranged attacks, but there was only one model in the game with an actual ranged attack, so he'd be the only one that had to know them. But they cleaned it up recently.
>>
>>51623500
yeah WoK didn't have enough ranged options for my liking. it's all MAGIC or FIGHT and so things kinda devolved into a scrum in every demo game they showed during the kickstarter
>>
File: 1486312509990.jpg (273KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
1486312509990.jpg
273KB, 1024x672px
>>51619290
>What do you like in a wargame?
>>Scale
>>Narrativist vs Gamist
>>Your Dudes vs Canon
>>Campaign vs Independent games

Well.. that's complicated. My favorite all-time games, though?
6mm, with strong campaign elements, Both YD and CN are supported; I tend to GM, so I play more with canon than YD. I design scenarios with very strong narrative elements, and frequently "adjust" the rules (sometimes with a sledgehammer) to accommodate that.
Battletech, motherfuckers.

Assorted goofy 28mm skirmish games. Again, I prefer campaigns with high diversity of characters and little canon to fuck with me. Blood and Plunder, TNT, Frostgrave, Mordheim, AK47R, Necromunda, Rogue Trader - shit's all good as long as my dudes can have a career and hilarious bad things happen to them to end it.

Naval wargaming with MAXIMUM CANON minis and highly simulationist rules. I'll do non-historical scenarios in a heartbeat, but I prefer "plausible" scenarios or complete whackadoo "let's take the French fleet of 1936 against the Japs" fucking about. Scale? Whatever will fit on the table and simulate reasonable engagement ranges for the era.

I do a bit of 28mm company-level, but it's not really my favorite these days. I tended to go Your Dudes and single-shot games, though. Armor is always a plus, because I like modeling it.

>>51623154
Frostgrave is fast, bloody and capped at 10 models/warband. It's basically "Reaper Bonez: the Wargame". Most games last less than an hour, and it's cheap as Hell to start if you have terrain. Grunts are literally disposable, and the only real character in your warband is the wizard (and maybe a Captain or Apprentice)

This is Not a Test is popular in my area, it's a post-apoc mashup that's geared towards "counts-as" gaming with whatever minis you happen to have. More character and mission-focused, and WAY more gonzo, but also really cheap to get into.
>>
>>51619290
>was into 28mm when I got into the hobby, now I'm getting into 6mm and maybe 3mm models
>gamist
>canon (probably a remnant of getting into wargaming with Dust Axis, I like to always paint my guys in a proper color scheme)
>campaign, although more often then not I end up playing independent games
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
28mm
>Narrativist vs Gamist
gamist, lets you set up and play vs. randos real easy like
>Your Dudes vs Canon
depends but I trend to your dudes
Campaigns, but most are booty
>>
File: Nuke investigation turn 2.jpg (340KB, 1528x604px) Image search: [Google]
Nuke investigation turn 2.jpg
340KB, 1528x604px
>>51624041
There's no way in Hell I'd be that grumpy with Emma Sheen sitting on my face.

To keep this vaguely on topic: Me playing Gundam 1/400 Minis Battles using simple hex conversion rules. Scenario is asymmetrical, with both forces investigating a meteor strike for possible WMD use. The Zeon forces need to retrieve a downed pilot and stolen Feddie gear (see the objective tokens) while keeping under acceptable losses; the Feds are trying to scan the crater with the hover trucks and neutralize the Zeke remnants. They only got to bring on the "reinforcements" - the Alice and the strike team of GMs - once the Hover Trucks made contact, but I screwed up on line of sight on turn 2 and exposed one of the Zakus. Things got really fucking hairy but we managed to pull out with the Feddie supplies and the pilot in exchange for a Dom and two of the Zakus. Dropped the GM command. Shitty trade but technically a victory.
>>
>>51619290
>Scale
28mm for skirmish, 10mm for big battles, tried to convert my skirmishing to 15mm, but the scale is still yet to impress me.

>Narrativist vs Gamist
I prefer simplistic and generic rules

>Your Dudes vs Canon
my dudes always

Independent games, don't have the time to do campaigns unfortunately.
>>
>>51618994
personally I like to play 1p40k
>>
>>51623500
the way I see it the way defense works in WoK is totally over complicated for what it actually does. they should change it to something like:

>units have an X+ defense
>rolls of 10 are always a crit
>units have 2 defense symbols
>some abilities give +X to your roll if used against specific defense symbols

would make the game simpler to understand, faster to play, and only slightly change its balance

for example the unit you posted would be
>defense 7+
>dodge/magic defense
>>
>>51616870
Looks like Spartan really are busy.

And a pretty sweet RoE armoured cruiser to boot.
>>
>>51619611
>>51622789
>>51623033
>>51626754
Thanks for the recs, my dudes.
>>
What's your favorite 15mm fantasy game? I wanna do something that is fun to do with a bunch of little stands, and maneuvering.
>>
>>51627186
Do you want mass battle or skirmish?
>>
oh boy, time for a new thread already?
>>
>>51626808
Thing is they tried not to do Confrontation rules when they should have just done Confrontation rules and nobody would have held it against them. In fact they would have been welcomed!
>>
>>51628735
I get them wanting to do their own thing, I just think it could have been executed a little smoother.

Still an overall fun game, though, and totally worth checking out if you like the models.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.