[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's played this game? I have a friend who loves it even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: epic_box.jpg (89KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
epic_box.jpg
89KB, 250x333px
Who's played this game? I have a friend who loves it even though he's burnt out on M:tG. I've played a few rounds myself, but only the "preconstructed" format where you grab 30 cards of one color and use them as a deck.

Anybody able to share their experiences?
>>
I love Epic Card Game.

It does exactly what it says on the box. A condensed, simplified but still highly enjoyable emulation of the MtG experience, accelerated to focus on the big moments.

It is nowhere as deep as MtG. The lack of any resource scaling and incredibly swingy nature of it makes it a bad competitive game and I'm sure there are super OP decks that just trounce anything else.

But I was always a casual Magic player. When the people in the LGS were doing drafts or tournaments, I was with the group sitting on comfortable seats off to the side playing silly multiplayer formats like Emperor or Pentagram.

Epic gives me that same experience of casual MtG with significantly less investment of time or money.
>>
>>51524783
I'll admit, even in the preconstructed format, games get very swingy. Red/Evil in particular has a lot of board-clearing cards, and when I played that faction I was constantly spoiling my opponents' build-ups of creatures.

>It does exactly what it says on the box
I love the game, but I hate the name because of how generic it is and how awkward it is to say things like, "Oh, I played Epic earlier" to people.
>>
>>51524943

I don't know, I can see it both ways on the name. It is super generic but it's also very evocative of what the game is and does.

They're actually kickstarting a digital version at the moment, although I'm not so sure about it. I enjoy the game most as a social, casual experience so the online format doesn't exactly seem the best fit.
>>
>>51524943
>actually falling for it...
>>
>>51526366

Huh?
>>
>>51524737
I bought it, as a casual MTG player I really like it. The big downside is what other Anons have mentioned; it's incredibly swingy and sometimes things happen that you feel you have no power against.On the flip side, you get hands that are incredibly powerful and it feels great to play them. Like all the best MTG decks that are super strong without the investment.
>>
File: Time to Duel.jpg (49KB, 720x458px) Image search: [Google]
Time to Duel.jpg
49KB, 720x458px
I've played many games of Epic, and I can highly recommend it to anyone who played/plays M:tG in a casual manner. Look up the tournament rules for drafting decks, and you'll be able to have some very fun best 2-out-of-3 matches with a friend.

Most game modes work well, but I'd steer clear of full constructed formats in a competitive setting. It's fine casually against people you know, but a sufficiently neck-bearded deck is just not fun to play against.

Also, the "preconstructed" format out of the base box is lame. Sage wins. That's just how it goes. Haven't tried to do that format using the expansion cards from the Tyranny set, but drafting a deck is too much fun, so I probably won't.

Anyway, there are far worse ways to spend a handful of hours and $15. I'd rate the game a solid 8/10.
>>
what to buy for epic to have a set for two players?
>>
>>51529515

One box. That's it.

I've played four player games with one box, too. I ended up getting three for the full drafting cube, but one box is all you really need.
>>
>>51529559
no boosters???
>>
>>51529604

One single box, like the one pictured in the OP? Enough cards for the game to be fully fun and playable.

More boxes gives you more variety for drafting and constructed, and there are expansions available, but none of them are necessary. One box, about twenty bucks and you've got a functional game.
>>
>>51529604
>>51529515
One copy of the core box will support up to four players in several formats. That's a total of 120 cards.

There's an expansion already out, Tyrants, which adds another 60 cards, and a second expansion currently in the works that should be another 60 cards.
>>
>>51529791
How a game of 120 cards can support 4 players???
>>
>>51530084

30 cards per deck.

Since you completely strip out land as a concept, each deck is purely spells and creatures, and since basically every single card is significant you end up with more fun and powerful cards in a 30 card Epic deck than a 60 card Magic deck.

>>51529791

This reminds me of something I wasn't sure about. If I have three of the core boxes for the draft cube, do I just need one copy of the expansion or do I need three to keep it complete?
>>
>>51530112
why are they selling bundles of 3 games and 3 boosters?
>>
>>51530142

Three boxes is a complete set for eight player drafts, not sure on the booster front. Although the 'boosters' are all entirely non-random, it's worth remembering.
>>
>>51530142
>>51530279
Three copies is for 8 players, *or* constructed format. Except if you combine three sets you actually have to strip a few of the cards out (there's a rarity system that only comes into play if you're combining multiple sets)
>>
>>51530112
I made a mistake here: Tyrants, and the new set, each introduce 48 new cards, not 60.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.