[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could I ask for you input on parts of setting I'm trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9

Could I ask for you input on parts of setting I'm trying to build? I've been trying to lay the groundwork for several major continents in the setting where the PCs will eventually find themselves, one of which is the asian kitchen sink in the vain of L5R and Khans where many of the asian cultures coexist on a massive mainland.

As far as details I've nailed down the following:

A mountain range with a particular mountain that is bigger than everest seperates the !Asian continent from the !Europe one. The shared religious belief of the land has the creation mythology where 5 gods decended to earth and each one had earthly decendents who make up the various royal families that rule a particular land as well as having formed the rivers that cut across the land. The Emperor and the 4 other families are distantly related and ever so often a a member from each family is sent to wed the emperial heir. And finally the overall technological level of the setting is basically a magitek industrial age so 20's 30's sort of look but with magitech.
>>
File: IMG_5962 ¸±±¾.jpg (158KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5962 ¸±±¾.jpg
158KB, 1600x1066px
>>51518196

A bit more detail of the setting:

The history of humanity and other races I havn't decided on yet spans about 5000 years as human were not originally from the world they currently inhabit.

The super everest moutain is significant because it's also the spot where the humans essentially landed and then spread out in the rest of the world.

In the unified religious belief of the !Asian continent they believe in the Onyx Court of Heaven which is where all the gods and spirits reside and presided over by the Emperor of the Onyx Court and Infinite Heavens (his full title).

After some great battle his 5 sons were rewarded for their loyalty by being given dominion over the land above and they descended down the mountain. One of the brothers decided to stay at the base of the mountain where he built a shrine to his father. The other 4 walked the land and went their seperate ways where they founded their own kingdoms along the path they walked which formed into the 4 sacred rivers which flows from the base of the mountain.

So far I've pegged the Eastern most nation which is a blended version of Japanese/Korean.

The Southern area is has more of a Southeastern Asian flavor I havn't decided on yet but the Royal family essentially lives on a massive island with a city acting as bridges that connect the mainland to the palace island.

The Western area where the moutain is and the northern area I havn't quit figured out what I wanted to do yet since I havn't nailed down what geography is prominent yet.
>>
>>51518196
If they aren't native, who are the native races?
Where are they and how are their relationships with each kingdom?
What are their unique specialty in martial arts, seeing that you are trying to make a kungfu setting?
>>
>>51518606

Kung fu stuff is only part of it as it's one of the many nations in the setting.

The only native race on the planet are the amphibious merfolk who were essentially in their stone age before humans arrived and know the most about humanities origins having met the original humans.
>>
>>51518695
List out the major factions in each of the kingdoms and what roles they play in the setting.
Are there any powerful merchant groups? Do they play fair? Do they cheat and use mercenaries to destroy their competitors?
Are there religious warrior orders? What is their main tenet and religion? Are they inquisitors? Are they folk heroes? Are they just preachers and missionaries?
Are there any druids or shamans factions? What is their goals and aims? Who support them and who hate them? What is their activities?
Are there powerful mercenaries factions? Do they sell their service to everyone? What kind of services do they do? Do they have a secret or open base? What is their focus in warfare? Are there any notable NPCs in those factions?
Are there any criminal groups? What crimes or illegal industry they are focusing on? Where are their area of operation located? Do they have supporters within the ruling class and who support them? Do they have any special styles?
>>
>>51518795

A lot of tough questions.

While each kingdom has their own particular cultures and traditions they all tend to adhere to the same legalistic manner of governence that mirrors the way the Onyx Court is ran. The only nobility are the royal families so power is defined by one's wealth and station, particularly within the government which mainly tasks itself with the collection of taxes and the defense of the land by maintaining an army otherwise commerence is left to the merchant clans their villages where the bulk of most industries take place.

Merchant clans consist of several families that work together under one banner in their respective fields and depending upon their size their village can be as big as major cities in some cases with particular prestige going to villages who are host to government facilities which means the royal goverment particularly favors that clan.
>>
>>51518966

Outside of the clan there are a number of various religious and scholarly institutions that exist for all manner of professions.

The School of the Black Cauldron, for instance, is known for it's doctors and their speciaization in medicine, medical technology and internal kung-fu producing scholarly doctors who can make use of various drugs and poisons to augment their bodies and debilitate their enemies. Another group are the Empty Disciples who practice a nearly forbidden form of magic and kungfu centered on the study of death and enlightenment many believing the abbots to be liches who found ways to live beyond death to obtain enlightenment in the mortal world.

Outside of these are various criminal elements as well through the kingdoms who participate in all manner of crimes such as smuggling goods and people into and out of the country as well as important exotic drugs and magic components deemed forbidden and dangerous by scholars. A notable Gang call themselves the Deadly Vally who's stated aim is to topple the 5 Kings and rule the land themselves.
>>
>>51518795

Let's expand on this.

Does the government employ emergency services workers? Are they simply police or are there medics and firefighters/hazmat workers as well? What governs them and how susceptible to corruption is it? Do they service all of the people in every town or is there a limit to their charges and/or range?
What does the military look like? How many different types of troops are there? Do they have a unified ranking system or something labyrinthian in nature? What's their history like?
Are the commoners oppressed or treated relatively fairly? Do they have any protection from other organizations or are they more or less at their mercy? Do they get spoon fed piecemeal information as needed or is it all publicly available?

and not group based, but what's the food situation like? Plenty to go around or is famine and rationing the standard fair? What are your staple grains and how easily is it to get? What kinds of common, regional, rare and restricted dishes are there? Any poisonous foods that people aren't recommended/allowed to eat?
>>
File: 1474717270069.png (7MB, 3040x3816px) Image search: [Google]
1474717270069.png
7MB, 3040x3816px
>>51519240
>Does the government employ emergency services workers? Are they simply police or are there medics and firefighters/hazmat workers as well?
There are no dedicated services provided by the government itself. Most villages/towns typically govern themselves and during times of trouble will go and ask for assitance from the government officals stationed in the city or in the next one if in a more remote village. They tend to provide their own such services where the sophistication can range from a few guys with buckets to a firetruck as a number of various technologies and ideas have spilled over from the west beyond the mountain.

Usually these services are done by lesser families and volunteers as a number of carriers are, as mentioned, family oriented so it's not unusual to have a few families who specialize in it that live in the village or even expand their services out to smaller villages alinged with them and each one has their own way or method of doing things and corruption can range from being purposefully incompetant unless paid to actually allowing disasters to happen so they can do something about it but generally it is considered a great dishonor to be found out and another group could come in to usurp your job if people trust them more than you.

The military is a professional standing military maintained by each kingdom and much like the various government positions people can come and apply to join where they will be tested for physical fitness, fighting ability, intelligence, and the like. If they pass then they become full members of the military and can advance their way up the ranks or leave after their mandatory 5 years of service. Traditions varies among the individual armies but generally military commanders have free reign to command their men beholden only to government officals who can call upon them as needed otherwise the military commanders control how their men are equiped and trained.
>>
>>51519359
continuing.

It is not unsual for commanders to seek help outside of their ranks often calling upon friends and peers to help with situations their men may not be able to handle themselves or for other matters which leads to a semi lucrative industry of warriors who make themselves available to the military for various tasks they can't or don't want to do.

For the most part the people in general are not oppressed but how ruthless or overbearing the ruling elders of a city and village are tend to vary although it's a common belief among the government officals that their role is to serve the people as prosperous people will help make the royal families prosperous.

When the government proper needs to get information out they do so through the various local officals and through public notices, Ordained criers who go out and spread the word through various means such as billboards and public radio where available when important information needs to be spread.

The staple food is rice and certain areas of the country are particularly fertile especially the southern kingdom where the bulk of most rice is produced with various other fruits and vegetables coming from other areas so no general fear of famine unless something comes along to disrupt trade or cause a natural disaster.
>>
>>51519413
>>51519359

While those are nice answer and all, you might want to give each kingdom military their unique element and unique powerful units. Think like Civilization V or IV.

Don't worry too much about realism and think more about how to make the setting seems more fun and to explore in.
>>
File: 1474717537988.jpg (273KB, 1209x853px) Image search: [Google]
1474717537988.jpg
273KB, 1209x853px
>>51519476

Yeah I'm not concerned with realism. I mean, while the military is standard in that they have rifles their rifles also have bayonets and they train to use them mainly like spears while the commanders themselves generally bring their own skills and techniques such as their swordsmanship, magic or marksmanship.

Also, to give an idea of the general appearance of the world a lot of the big city/villages tend to be nearly modern in some areas or poorer such as having dirt streets and pull carts or trucks since they are generally left to plan and expand their cities as they see fit unless the government intervines which rarely happens.

Also, people from all walks can apply to join the army or the government but passing the tests arn't easy so many skills and martial arts instructors are in abundance are around to help prepare would be applicants.
>>
File: ehfuckit.jpg (114KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ehfuckit.jpg
114KB, 400x400px
>>51518196
>Could I ask for your input on parts of a setting

>>51519544
>I'm not concerned with realism

...kay
>>
>>51519667

That doesn't mean I don't want consistancy, I'm just not concerned with trying to replicate real life as this world has nothing to do with our modern world.

If it isn't obvious I'm cribbing ideas from all over the place, mainly xenogears and this idea will have to be filtered to work for DnD as it's kinda my sort ideal homebrew that I want to run one of these days.
>>
>>51519544
I am not certain you want to bring gunpowder and its weapons into play in your setting depending on where and who are you are playing with.
If you play it with friends and have no interest in doing an online campaign, then it is doable and not a problem.

Those often triggers gun autists like fedora katana faggots who demand their weapon to be end all and the equivalent power of a nuke, despite the setting is obviously a fictional one.
I blame those faggots putting thousands of their welfare check or pensions into buying guns despite no targets whatsoever instead of better things.
>>
File: 1480564596579.jpg (61KB, 900x454px) Image search: [Google]
1480564596579.jpg
61KB, 900x454px
>>51519911

I know although I tend to fiind people in real life not nearly as autistic as /tg/ though granted it's strange to imagine that you can be pelted with a million arrows and shrug them off but one gun and suddenly you have to die on the first hit. I guess getting hit with a fucking 100lbs sword is like getting a paper cut as well.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.