[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does your setting have any eldritch horrors? What are they like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: cthulhu-rise.jpg (192KB, 1300x975px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu-rise.jpg
192KB, 1300x975px
Does your setting have any eldritch horrors?
What are they like?
Are they part of the main plot or just setting lore?
>>
Mine was supposed to...4th edition D&D had this concept that the stars themselves were evil and wanted the world gone, so I built a whole setting around that in which there was a colossal war with them some 3000-1000 years in the past (I haven't nailed down an exact time, makes things more convenient).

I say SUPPOSED to, because when it came time to actually start introducing them to players their leader's characterization rapidly changed from "soft spoken eerie star father" to "Megatron".

Because Megatron was way more fun to roleplay.
>>
>>51500400
No, I am tired of them.
>>
>>51500400
always wanted to run a campaign centered around the majority of the world being corrupted by/entirely made out of the dreams and nightmares of mad gods slumbering beneath the earth.

And then you go around solving their mad dreams so they can sleep soundly. Kinda psychonauts.
>>
>>51500484
That's awesome anon. How'd you roleplay him?
>>
Kinda, but sort of not. Its more an eldritch state of existence, with no being as anything mortal would understand it.

People might anthropomorphize the Taint or the Chaos, but it acts basically like a disease that infects the fabric of reality, without any apparent conscious aim. It is a sort of cosmic, metaphysical entropy that wears down what reality is, and so far there seems to be no way of halting or reversing its spread, only barely slowing it down. Its rumored to be linked to the nighttime stars, or to mystical realms of slumbering nightmare, or other places.

It is part of the main plot, with the monsters facing my characters being a divided by a schism - one tainted and horrifically evil, the other untainted and persecuting the heretics yet still evil vis-à-vis the main characters. The taint and everything it represents is also a driver of the setting, in that it rendered magic incredibly dangerous and unreliable.
>>
>>51500400
I guess the dragons count? They are giant beasts that spend their time sleeping on leylines, absorbing magic and radiating an aura that warps their surrounds. Direct exposure causes violent mutations into dragon-like creatures.

The gods don't know what they are and tend to try and ignore them.
>>
File: Nyarlthotep.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlthotep.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>51500484
Anon, this thread is about eldritch horrors not generic bad guy gods.

If your eldritch horror is introducing himself to your players at all, let alone using language in a way that they can parse, you're doing it wrong.

Unless your eldritch horror is Nyarlathotep.
>>
>>51500664

Mostly by bellowing at the top of my lungs in a crowded college ballroom. He was still fairly passive and soft spoken when first introduced, but then when he appeared in person and started ripping player characters in half I guess I got caught up in the moment and had him start bellowing about slaying dawn itself and burning worlds and a whole lot of other morbid shit. It was a fucking blast to roleplay. And hey, it worked out for the best because he ended up being way more memorable as an 80's cartoon villain than anything close to Lovecraft.
>>
File: Flesh1.gif (3KB, 92x108px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh1.gif
3KB, 92x108px
>>51500400
The players had a run in with them for a one shot 4e game. The players fought a crazy cult trying to summon a piece of some nameless thing. PCs put a stop to it, but something broke through anyways. Didn't do any damage to anything though. Just took off into the night sky. Sure had an affect on the PCs though. They went mad as the thing flew off having unwittingly made contact with the thing by being the only living creatures in range at the time to 'hear' it.

I did while we were waiting for the next guy in line to DM come up with some stuff. It was interesting, but nothing to write home about. I really should come up with a full fledged campaign idea here soon for it now that you mention it though... Bringing back that nameless whatever that they let slip through the cracks would be perfect. Maybe I should bring back the one shot PCs they used for it as major enemies too.
>>
File: SMTIVFinal_Merkabah.png (500KB, 494x719px) Image search: [Google]
SMTIVFinal_Merkabah.png
500KB, 494x719px
Just the one: the First, Ido, whose figurative and literal blood gave birth to the first lifeforms after they crash landed on a budding planet in space. There they slept for eons, giving birth to two other planes from their dreams and nightmares. The Dreamlands (what was the Feywild) are where the other, more traditional gods came in, arriving one by one mostly by circumstance.

Ido is described as dragon-like, since its creations ended up being the dragonborn/dragons, but they have a lizard shape closer to cosmic angels than eldritch horror.

Right now they are tertiary to the plot: Ido woke up after countless ages, killed the first god who showed up in Dreamlands, and peaced the fuck out. Right now this is just to combine my personal cosmology from playing tabletop over the years, in the end it means that the dragon-kin will find it increasingly difficult to reincarnate, the elves are turning into abominations since their creator got annihilated, and so to fix this Vecna is pulling the not!Feywild and not!Shadowfell from the abstract planes to being actual planets in the solar system.
Because, y'know.
Reasons.
>>
>>51500596
You could also do the opposite: everyone lives inside the planet because the surface has monstrosities wandering around fucking everything up.

>>51501093
I love doing that. In my current 5e campaign, we did a two-shot beforehand with the quick rules to see if we would like it. I took the antagonist of that story and then brought them back as a companion NPC down the road. Maybe the one shot PCs are either converted or trying to hunt down the thing.
>>
>>51500400
There's things out there, along the edge of the world-sphere, things that the celestial servants regret creating, but will not (or cannot?) un-create.

Are those things bad? Probably, but they generally don't come into the sphere.
>>
>>51500400
Was thinking about one.

Though it would be very non-standard due to the fact that is very kid-friendly.

He even gives them bizarre powers and abilities.
>>
Yes. They're not the great ones of the Cthulhu Mythos but they're much, much older than mankind, and no sane man could claim to understand them.
They travel on the winds of volcanic ash storms that are slowly choking the new world, claiming the lives of any sailors that are foolish or unlucky enough to get lose in the black clouds.
A powerful enough God can keep the storms at bay but none brave trying to attack them head on. Most profess ignorance of their nature, but the new Gods aren't known to be trustworthy.

A lot of this game's lore is being written on the fly as a collaborative effort from the whole group. It's resulted in an awesome setting but a lot of stuff is left deliberately mysterious so we can pick it up later.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.