[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you design a good modern fantasy game? I really like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Urban fog alley dark.jpg (34KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
Urban fog alley dark.jpg
34KB, 620x372px
How do you design a good modern fantasy game?

I really like the whole 'magic is real but hidden from normies' stuff a lot of things do, but I feel as though some of these could be combined.

I also really like a few settings like The Secret World's setting and Unknown Armies, but it depends on what kind of campaign you're going for.
>>
>>51499909
Ask the World of Darkness people.
>>
>>51499909
I thoroughly despise the whole "Magic exists, but shhhh it's a secret" thing. Not only is it a cliche, but it's a badly done one that makes no sense whatsoever. There is no way in Hell that you could hide the existence of magic in the modern era unless your sthuper shecret organization is Mary Sue Incorporated and controls the entire internet.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.
>>
>>51500544
Depends on your magic I think.
Something like Dresden Files/World of Darkness/Nasuverse could never be hiden.
But something more lowkey like xxxHolic/Pact/Kult could maybe work as a masquerade type setting

*the villains being able to affect the physical world blatantly was very much a plot point and shoudn't be possible
>>
File: 1478953403556.gif (341KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1478953403556.gif
341KB, 400x225px
>>51500501
The World of Darkness people? You mean these people? >>51488411 >>51499051
>>
File: lineup_xcom.jpg (54KB, 624x246px) Image search: [Google]
lineup_xcom.jpg
54KB, 624x246px
>>51499909
I would love to see some X-com shit going on, I tend to find that most modern fantasy settings like world of darkness are power fantasy circle jerks. I just wanna be tacticool.
>>
File: 1477094918133.gif (1MB, 269x220px) Image search: [Google]
1477094918133.gif
1MB, 269x220px
>>51499909
I'm sure /pol/ would have ideas. They love theorizing about illuminati secrets and probably have plenty of ideas as to hidden magic and such. Take their Trump memes as an example for how you can incorporate a hidden level of magic, because it's on a scale most normal people can't access.
>>
>>51499909
Didn't FFXV go for something like this? Crystals, monsters and shit with Audi, American Express (what is america in their world anyways?) and Coleman
>>
>>51499909
>>51500544
>>51500713
I love the way Unknown Armies does it where the truth is out there, but the truth is fucking weird. Most spells and events in Unknown Armies can feel like strange coincidences to people who don't know, and even for people who do know they wind up being gullible to the point where they'll believe anything.
>>
>>51501609
And if you show a crowd of people that magic is real, odds are they will RIOT.
>>
>>51500544
my take is that if magic has to remain secret that quickly becomes 90% of the setting, so playing loose with how magic is hidden is important if you want a plot other than "keep the muggles ignorant"
>>
>>51502443
Yep, it's basically the Steel Chair Effect.
>>
>>51501427
Final Fantasy modern setting and the new XCOM is modern fantasy done right.
>>
>>51499909
Just watch some modern fantasy anime, of which there are plenty of, and make it edgier if you have faggots in your group.
There you go.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.