[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 376
Thread images: 40

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51485926
>>
>>51492717
Artificer Tradition :^)
>>
Why is the Trident identical to the Spear aside from bieng martial and expensive?
>>
Need curse ideas for a ring stolen from a tomb
>>
So, how DO we fix the chainlock? And to a lesser extent, the bladelock?

Would adding an extra Invocation or two do anything to help?
>>
>>51492751
Is it worth going six levels into assassin rogue, six levels into deepstalker revised ranger? Or should I only go three into rogue?
I know that I want to get six ranger for sure.
>>
>Asked in last thread right before it died

Making a Wizard for the first time. How do folks feel about Treantmonk's guide as a base?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?450158-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-5e

Also: Favorite wizarding school?
>>
>>51492791
Familiar that scales with the caster ALA beastmaster
>>
File: 1454721564886.jpg (162KB, 730x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1454721564886.jpg
162KB, 730x1094px
>>51492755
Alright 5eg, hear me out.
I like to run a veeeeeeeeeery loose version of 5e and I think I found a way to unfuck strength based martials.
Would you play in a campaign that did this, if you knew from the outset that it was how things worked?

What if your strength modifier was multiplicative instead of additive?
So when you made a Dex based attack, you added the modifier to damage
But when you made a Str based attack it multiplied?
So, crossbow:
>1d6+DEXmod damage
Longsword
>(STRmod)*1d8

So this way even though STR isn't nearly as versatile, it allows for WAY higher damage. A barbarian with 20 STR and a greataxe would be dealing 5d12 damage per attack!
Thoughts?
>>
>>51492777

Good fucking question, and nice get.

Who uses a 2-handed weapon that does 1d8 damage, anyway?
>>
>>51492782
Main effect of the ring aside from being unable to be removed normally. "When in a market or situation similar to that, the ring will shout in different voices every time the wearer gets near something. Even though the voices are different, they all say the same thing. "THIEF! THIS MAN IS A THIEF!""
>>
Making a warlock/paladin. Undying Light Tomelock, for the first three levels to get to Shillelagh so I can beat people to death with my holy bat, then five levels of paladin to get extra attack. After that it's whatever. Is this a decent order or should I look at it another way?
>>
>>51492777
cause it looks cooler?
>>
>>51492831
No.
The monsters arent build for that.
>>
Thank god you've made this general. The other one fucking sucked.
>>
>>51492831
How would that even work for monsters? Would you just multiply the dice they already have by their STR mod? Or would it be just whatever die they have, they have (mod) number of damage dice now?
>>
>>51492777
For reference for any other kind of exotic special pronged snowflake weapon people might recommend (i.e. Military Forks, Ranseus, Spetums) so they don't come up with some stupid overpowered weapon when an exact analog isn't on the equipment list.

Same reason why the Glaive and Halberd are listed as two different weapons in spite of being functionally identical; because somebody will bring up his special snowflake Guan Dao or Naginata and suggest something outrageous if a similar weapon isn't on the list.
>>
>>51492767
Hex takes a bonus action and the third attack takes a bonus action, but at least it can be done at range.

The problem is... Compared to an eldritch blast with hex at level 5, which is 2d10+2d6+2xCHA or at level 11 3d10+3d6+3xCHA or level 17 4d10+4d6+4xCHA, each with 10ft pushback per blast..
Yeah, it's just not a thing.

Not to mention you need to multiclass for the ranged weapon.

>>51492764
Those are some of the worst portent rolls possible.
>>
>>51492782
Small creatures are infrequently possessed and attempt to attack the cursed. The creatures often deal little to no damage or at most might interrupt a spell or get in the way at a critical moment, but their main impact is that they will annoy the character to no end, particularly getting eaten by rats in the night.
If the character doesn't start doing something about it such as putting their sleeping position somewhere hard to reach, they might get exhaustion or a bit of damage sometimes overnight.
>>
>>51492831
I wanted to dislike this idea but it really seems viable at higher levels. Probably not so much before level 13 or so.
>>
>>51492801
God-style wizard is a surefire way to be very powerful and yet fly under the radar of the average DM. The other players might not even realize how useful you're being, but it's the most useful way to play a caster.
>>
>>51493015
I was allowed to take the crossbow as pact weapon (even Mearls approves it), and 1) the game is a short campaign maxing at lvl 10, anyway, so the latter disparity is meaningless.

And who says that you must max-gimp each of your characters? That's not fun. It's not like I'm actively trying to outshine the other players.
>>
>>51492791
More touch spells
Bladelock can use a bonus action for touch spells
>>
>>51492974
In that case it might as well be a Simple weapon, too. It seems like it's jut not worth the effort for them.
A Guan Dao seems blatantly functionally identical to a halberd/glaive to me, though, at least in tabletop.
>>51492854
Frankly if I ever DMd I'd make spears simple weapons and put them on any proficiency list that mentions spears.
>>51492837
Non-Kensei Monks I guess.
>>
>>51492791
De-emphasize the pacts and increase emphasis on patron powers. They have more room for expansion.
>>
>>51492777
In one of the dndnext rulesets they were d8/d10. They just fucked them in the release.
>>
>>51492831
You'd have to completely remove feats, completely discourage rolling for stats (rolling for stats is shit anyway)... Champions will become hot shit and all the dexterity people can suck it up.
It's a matter of +7, +6.5, +5.5 or +4.5 damage and +1 to hit per +2 strength compared to +1 damage +1 to hit per +2 dex.

Paladins mostly tend to use strength and they're already fine enough, but as above they tend to cling to PAM. A good barbarian or fighter also uses PAM or GWM or both.

It.. Needs some serious balancing, and it's pretty boring to just make it 'Strength is the stat of the damage dealer!'
>>
>>51493096
>In that case it might as well be a Simple weapon, too. It seems like it's jut not worth the effort for them.
B-but my special spear takes skill, Chinese monks trained for decades to use these weapons etc.
>A Guan Dao seems blatantly functionally identical to a halberd/glaive to me, though, at least in tabletop.
Yeah but if it there was only a halberd or only a glaive some fuck will go "But it's not technically a halberd/glaive it's more of a glaive/halberd so can I make up shit how about 2d8 that's fair right"
>>
>>51493085
The point isn't to optimize EVERY character, just the shit ones.
Shit like bladelocks, monks and all that should be optimized because they're already the runts of the litter and there's no shame in making them on par with everyone else.
>>
>>51492791
Warlock itself needs an overhaul to bring it back to something resembling its old 3.5 self, instead of attempting a piecemeal fix to each pact and patron.
>>
>>51492791
Stop familiars from using the help action.

Completely remove the blade pact. Make a new class to fill in the 'bladelock' style niche instead.
>>
>>51493086
But only when using their weapon huh?
>>
>>51493172
Congratulations, there is now ZERO reason to go chainlock.
>>
>>51493212
You must lack creativity if you can't find a use for familiars.

What is invisibility?
What is scouting?
What is trap-checking?
What is all the stealing utilities you can have by having an invisible imp go around town and taking things, with them having hardly any way to trace it back to you unless you're clearly a warlock and the familiar isn't disguised as an animal or something?
What is having a second opinion?
What is having someone with their own initiative to go pull the lever or shut a door for you mid-combat?

Certainly, they could use more interesting invocations, but it's not bad, and familiars using the 'help' action should never have been a thing with hidden invisible familiars not giving away their position from using the help action technically and wizards getting familiars for free.

Heck, maybe just take away wizard's free familiar so that pact of the chain gives you something more unique.
>>
>>51493250
Don't gimp an already weak archetype, you autistic fuck.
>>
Is Peace Monk any good?
>>
>>51493250
Also by taking away familiars from wizards, you'd take familiars away from tomelocks.

>>51493273
Most people find it a pretty okay archetype, if you can even call it an 'archetype'.

Tomelock's main benefit is honestly shillelagh at level 3 rather than level 6, which is great on certain characters. Otherwise it's just some nicely rounded utility. Kind of want to try magic stone with it, too, to give it to people with slings who have poor stats. That sounds like great support.

Anyway, I still despise that wizards get a familiar that's practically free that can use the help action. I'd be okay with leaving the help action in if non-chain familiars go or are nerfed and have the help action removed. If you remove the other familiars, pact of the chain is fucking brilliant.
>>
Best class to represent a master of healing and therapy through sensual tantric massage.
>>
>>51493338
Paladin, just lay on hands
>>
>>51493338
Life cleric 1/bard X
>>
>>51493338
Thief with healer's kit and healer feat.

Bonus action massage people.
>>
>>51493148
But why optimize bladelock as a turret, essentially making the whole pact pointless? At least my "optimization" uses a feat and little leeway to make a better character than a straight-up bladelock who goes in and tries to hit shit with a greatsword.

Unless you're suggesting I should've just taken PAM and go into town with a Glaive or smth with my puny 1d8 health.

At least my option keeps me alive, dammit.

And check out the numbers. With the current style, Hand Crossbow is actually better than EB w/ ASI. I just gotta change from my Heavy crossbow to that. Only things I'll lose are a little bit of range and the ability to push.

http://anydice.com/program/a93a

Remember, this game only lasts until 10th level.

So yes, basically there is a better build (at least on pure damage output) than Turretlock if your GM is a little flexible. Pushing is still the Turret's job, but hey, you can do both.

And if you go variant human, hell, you can do this even better.
>>
>>51492791

How broken would it be if a bladelock could gain a fighting style as an Invocation?
>>
I'm amazed /tg/ can endlessly rehash the blade warlock topic and keep saying the same shit about it over and over. It's a meme.
>>
>>51493413
Give it to them with their first invocation, say it counts as two.
>>
>>51493392
But all it really does is take the same mechanic and make it worse.
The mechanic of 'stand away and make attack rolls'.

You're requiring bonus actions to hex and move said hex around which directly conflicts with the bonus action hand crossbow attacks, which will drop the average to being worse. Granted, without hex and with decent stats, you should still do slightly more damage. You're losing out on the possibility of having an extremely strong invocation - the 10ft pushback - and not using force damage, though I suppose you might get a magic crossbow if you're really lucky.

I could understand if there was some special gimmick going on. Melee bladelock actually has a slightly different gimmick to eldritch blasting - they benefit from things such as enemies being prone, they can use PAM for reaction attacks and bonus attacks, they deal more damage than EB probably will and overall they have a different experience, even if they still have inherent flaws.

The problem with the handcrossbow is.. It's very much the same thing as EBing, but just worse.

If you're going to use bladepact properly, the best use is on some sort of PAM fighterwarlock or on a rogue-warlock multiclass

>>51493413
Not awfully broken, but you're not fixing anything. Pact of the blade really shouldn't be 'does nothing, but gives you some really boring combat buff invocations - the pact'.
>>
>>51492858
>>51492971
Probably just add a base die if they're large or bigger, and then multiply by their STR mod.

>>51493132
>You'd have to completely remove feats
Why? Are you thinking of some in particular?

>Champions will become hot shit
Why do you say that?

>all the dexterity people can suck it up.
While I was writing this, I actually just had a second, even greater idea. So STR is the way I just said it is, but DEX is like, finding the weakpoints in someone's defenses? So you could represent that by adding the DEX modifier to the damage dealt for each point that you beat the target's AC by. So if you're fighting someone with AC 17 and you have a 1d8+3 rapier or whatever, when you roll a 17 you deal 1d8, if you roll an 18 you deal 1d8+3, 19 1d8+6, all the way up to a max of roll of say, a 29, which would be a crit, and thus dealing 2d8+36 damage.
>>
>>51493470
yeah desu i've not yet been in a dnd related thread that didn't have at least a few posts about bladelock recently. It's quite surprising how desperately we're trying to make it work. It's not even that cool thematically.
>>
>>51492777
only thing I can think of is that you can use a trident underwater without a penalty right?
>>
What would be some neat options or builds that would synergize with the Horizon Walker? I'm thinking about playing an "undead hunter" sort of ranger, and liked the theme of Horizon Walker, considering it allows me to ignore resistances. What kind of feats would make this archetype shine a bit more?
>>
>>51492791
Bring back the quirks for Warlocks from the playtest.
>>
>>51493480
Sounds like more damage rolling and calculations with extra dice and calculating difference between your attack and AC. But, hey, if you do the calculation that's not so big a problem.

Champions crit a lot. When they crit, they could do as much as 20d6 damage with an ordinary greatsword, or 10d12 with an ordinary greataxe. After all, by expanding the number of dice rolled you make critical hits more valuable.

PAM would definitely have to go, as if grants you two extra attacks, and those two extra attacks...
A fighter at level 11 would make 5 attacks, each dealing a possible 5d10+5 except for their bonus action which is 5d4+5. They can also apply GWF to reroll all 1s and 2s and thus their average d10 damage goes from 5.5 to 6.3.

GWM has a chance of giving you a bonus action attack, which is powerful when it can do crazy damage. The +10 damage is useless though considering the crazy damage outputs.

But, yeah, you could give dex more damage. You could just give all martials more damage, but then also paladins will get more damage, sorcerer-paladins would get more damage..
And then wizards will do nothing but use non-attack spells, and you'll have to buff everyone's health to survive monsters longer, and you'll have to buff spell damage so wizards sometimes use their spell attacks as well, and then-

And then you realize you've just inflated all the numbers like some 3e/4e powercreep.

Martials don't need more damage. They need more utility.
>>
>>51493194
Sure, so at the very least you could run up, summon your weapon then some damage touch spell if you weren't changing summoning weapon to be not a full action.
>>
File: glwGLAf.jpg (64KB, 822x458px) Image search: [Google]
glwGLAf.jpg
64KB, 822x458px
>>51493507
Nope.
>>
>>51492831
STR is a good stat if you actually pay attention to carrying and jumping rules. Most DMs just don't care.
>>
>>51493472
Well true, but to me, the thing is more about the aesthetic anyway.

Because if I actually take something like Ascendant Step and jump into air, put hunter's mark and surprise snipe someone, doing it with a crossbow has a definitely different feel than EB (at least to me), even though mechanically it's basically the same.

The players around me haven't optimized their characters. Hell, I helped half of them to make their characters because most of them are new to 5e, so trying to be the most viable is not really a problem to me. Especially so when our party has a Halfling Barbarian (Not using shortswords) and a turnip farmer from Barovia (a Champion Fighter, stats rolled in order), among others. Trying to make the most viable character isn't really a thing with our game. If I was playing with hard powergamers then yes, I would probably make something more optimized. But then again, I wouldn't play with hard powergamers.
>>
File: UnderwaterCombat.jpg (193KB, 515x541px) Image search: [Google]
UnderwaterCombat.jpg
193KB, 515x541px
>>51493679
>>51493507

Please.
>>
>>51493096
Surely a trident should do 3 times a spear damage because it stabs people 3 times instead of once
>>
>>51493698
If you're trying to be the most viable thing, you'd be a wizard or something. It's not about being great, it's about having something you excel at and excelling at it. So it seems kinda lame to take something and then not excel at it. You could make a paranoid rogue with high wisdom whose focus is crazy perception checks, for example.

You can also try to become a good support with new players. Do things like prone and grapple enemies over hurting them a lot, and then the other players can get advantage for hitting them or the like. The alchemist artificer seems pretty neat for this.

But.. It feels such a shame to take warlock's gimmick and waste potential for the sake of fluff.
>>
Anybody have that homebrewed universal weapon chart made by some anon?
>>
>>51493747
But it's stabbing 1/3rds as hard though.
>>
>>51493747
Three, really small people, stood directly next to each other. Like, hugging each other. Yeah that makes sense.
>>
Making characters, rolled pretty well.

What do? I kinda want to make a bard for the support abilities, maybe even go for Lore, and then grab a rapier and hand crossbow and go van helsing on people when I am not singing like a faggot.

How does that sound? Most of the other players rolled like shit, so I definitely dont need to worry about bring optimised, I just want to be a supportive bitch who still kicks ass when I dont need to assist the others.
>>
>>51493577
Points taken, but you actually wouldn't add the modifier, It would just be multiplied. So 5d4, 5d10, etc.

And it has less to do with balancing martials, and more because it annoys me how long fights take.
>>
>>51493685
That's because the encumbrance rules are garbage and item weights are a mess. A mining pick is 10 pounds but a great axe is 7? Suure. A pike is 18 pounds and a halberd is 6? How tiny is the halberd? And a barrel isn't 70 pounds unless it's got something in it or it's made of lead.

All that mess aside, I think item weights are a bit of a red herring anyway. Slot-based equipment is the way to go, the problem is how to do it intuitively, fairly, and in a way that actually matters to the game.
>>
>>51493739
Well, my bad, I didn't look at that.
>>51493796
Holy fuck
>>
>>51493800
If you want to shorten fights, I'd do it by way of not making every single fucking monster fight to the death like they're trying to go to valhalla or something.

I don't get why so many DMs do this.
>>
>>51493679
Add Finesse to the glaive and 5e is saved
>>
File: crossbowofretardlj3.png (9KB, 185x90px) Image search: [Google]
crossbowofretardlj3.png
9KB, 185x90px
>>51493747
How much damage should this do?
>>
>>51493796
>rolled pretty well.
Pretty well? Two 18 plus a pair of 16's is insane. So insane that if you didn't roll this mess in front of a live human being I'd just say forget about it because no one will believe you. You can literally make whatever the fuck you want with those scores.
>>
Players want to rebuild a manor in phandelver.

Ok, how do I go about making a nice 2nd floor map that looks similar to the 1st? Or should I try to find a map somewhere and say the bottom floor was rebuilt?
>>
>>51493796
It would almost be a shame not to play one of the MAD classes like Monk or Paladin.
>>
>>51493838
2d12 psychic
>>
File: Inventory.png (127KB, 926x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Inventory.png
127KB, 926x1310px
>>51493804
I use this
At first my players were butthurt about not being able to carry as much, but I like it because it makes them actually think about what they're carrying with them
I can upload the rules that came with it if you like
>>
>>51493839
Rolled them with the rest of the group, GM included. Now we just have free reign to make our level 1 characters with those stats.

How would a build focusing on the whip look like? I kinda feel like going for a Belmont kind of character.
>>
>>51493796
Play a bard, but roleplay like your are Hercules, offspring of somekind of god, half god, trying to attain your godhood.

Maybe play Aasimar

OR!

Pick a Variant Human, bump your Cha to 19 with a +1 and then take Actor for another +1, starting at level one with 20 Cha.
And instead of actually being the offspring of a god, pick the Charlatan background and just be trying to trick people into thinking you are the son of a god, perhaps someone from the mythology of your DM's setting, with advantage on deception checks.
>>
>>51493841
My players are doing the same thing. I told them that the east and west walls are mostly intact, but the north and south walls are shot. The ground floor interior walls are basically gone, the entire second floor and half the roof have fallen in.

They're pretty much building everything but the cellar from scratch.
>>
>>51493903
>I can upload the rules that came with it if you like
Sure, looks neat. Looks like a more complicated version of the anti-hammerspace sheet I saw. I liked that one except that it really punished heavy armor builds. Hoping to find a happy medium somewhere.
>>
>>51493861
I would really prefer not just going full cheese monkey and outshine them completely. Much rather go for a more supportive style that allows me to still be able to fight, but in a much more subdued fashion.

I kinda like the idea of someone who acts like a sissy little faggot in the backline, but turns out to be a complete monster in close combat anyway. And I actually have the stats to make something like that vaiable, so why not.
>>
>>51493755
Well, I guess. But I would probably enjoy playing less if I did that, myself. I am a huge crossbow buff (I didn't even really think about optimization when I asked my GM about it), and finally being able to make a character who uses a crossbow is a godsend, in addition to the fact that it's a Warlock with all the neat Warlock spells.

In short, this character is a dream come true, so I love it.

You see, I have always wanted to make a crossbow-using character, and sadly, I have been a forever GM for my entire RPG career of 5 years or so, this being the first classic fantasy campaign I've been in. Getting the chance to make a Warlock simultaneously? Heck yes! Especially considering that I will probably not get to play D&D or fantasy RPG:s in general for a long time, due to the impeding release of my own game, which I still need to playtest immensely before that.
>>
>>51493956
>Pick a Variant Human, bump your Cha to 19 with a +1 and then take Actor for another +1, starting at level one with 20 Cha.
>And instead of actually being the offspring of a god, pick the Charlatan background and just be trying to trick people into thinking you are the son of a god, perhaps someone from the mythology of your DM's setting, with advantage on deception checks.
Okay that actually sounds dope.
>>
>>51493966
Be an old lady life cleric
>>
>>51493966
Play a shitty race/class combo, like rock gnome monk or orc wizard. Basically any race/class combo where your racial bonuses go to the stats you care the least about
>>
File: Explanatory.png (1MB, 655x6482px) Image search: [Google]
Explanatory.png
1MB, 655x6482px
>>51493965
Not sure how the ruleset you mention handles it, but armor weight is halved if you're wearing it in this.
The rules are bit complicated to set up, but in play they run fantastic I've found.
If I made one change, it would be to how the encumbrance score is calculated. I'd probably just have it be straight STR, the average of STR and CON, or the higher of the two, because the current method is a bit unforgiving
>>
>>51493966

What >>51494018 said. You could be the most amazing Half-orc Artificer or Bard. Hell, with your stats, you could ask to be a full orc, but so civilized that you actually live with the other normal races. Ask your GM for silly things like that.

>Now you're thinking of an orc talking in a posh british accent
>>
>>51493966
>>51494018
You could play a Tiefling Monk or Ranger, like one of my players did
>>
>>51493923
>How would a build focusing on the whip look like?
Pretty much whatever you feel like with those stats.

Shit you could go Halfling Barbarian and dual wield whips. With 16+2 Dex and 18 CON (other 18 going to STR) you'd have 18 AC right out the gate, bouncing around like goddamn Yoda.

Or play a whip wielding Paladin.

Make a fucking Half Orc Wizard or a Tiefling Druid if you want. There's literally no way to make a bad character with those scores.
>>
File: Example.png (533KB, 924x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Example.png
533KB, 924x1310px
>>51494052
And here's an example
>>
>>51493796
Play something that can get magic stone, like druid or warlock, use magic stone and hand them over to a rogue or someone with really bad stats. The rogue only has to use a sling, which is like using a shortbow with -1 damage, so it's worth it.

They'll use your attribute modifier for their attack rolls and damage rolls.

Alchemist artificer is definitely heavily support focused. A charisma paladin has support but would probably just be overpowered.

Monks are pretty supportey if you go open hand or something, though you might end up doing a bit much damage if nobody else optimizes at all.

The best solution is to punch your DM in the nuts for having rolled stats, but bard or wizard isn't bad either.
>>
>>51493923
Paladin with a whip.

Plate, Shield and Whip, or you can go dex and have Studded, Shield and Whip.

Protect allies with your shield and spells while throwing out whip smites at reach range, while also buffing your allies with your high charisma.
>>
>>51494052
Thanks I'll take a look at it.

And the anti-hammerspace ruleset is literally just 6 of those 3 slot boxes, but you lose one full box for each tier of armor you're wearing (eg: -1 for light, -3 for heavy, etc) so a plate wearing paladin was basically carrying around their weapon, a bow, and maybe some food. Pretty punishing.
>>
File: 1485814591321.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485814591321.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>51493172
What if we had a patron that focused on melee instead?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psh6ccbkrvwpp9e/The%20Warlock.docx?dl=0
>>
Speaking of equipment and encumbrance... thoughts on giving players a stash? Like a literal video game stash where you can access the exact same box of stuff no matter what town you're in, as long as they have a magic bank there.

?
>>
File: paladin of near perfection.png (72KB, 512x387px) Image search: [Google]
paladin of near perfection.png
72KB, 512x387px
>>51493839
>tfw
>>
>>51494096
>Monks are pretty supportey if you go open hand or something

Play a Way of Tranquility (UA Monk) pacifist who doesn't like to hurt other living creatures
>>
File: necromancer_by_jasontn-d99pajp.jpg (2MB, 1707x1231px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer_by_jasontn-d99pajp.jpg
2MB, 1707x1231px
So I'm gonna be playing a Death Domain cleric soon, and I noticed that their 1st level feature Reaper is a bit hazy. Does it use my spellcasting modifier or the class I picked it from? Likewise, there's literally only two necromancy cantrips. Anyone have any ideas for necromancy cantrips to homebrew to toss at my DM?
>>
>>51494234
The super lay-on-hands is pretty neat.

>>51492751
It's better, but ideally it should be neither a patron or pact choice but rather something else, like either class or some sort of 'eldritch blast or melee' type thing.

>>51494195
Logically the party can easily cart their stash between towns, no need for magic bank stuff. Just assume the players auto-cart their stuff everywhere.
>>
>>51493903
Meh. I use an everybody's got 6 + Str mod slots rule. Each item takes up a slot, but has essentially infinite uses (torches, rations, healer kit, etc).
>>
>>51494207
>thinking anyone will trust an online, outdated dice-roller program

lmao @ ur life
>>
>>51494279
I actually kinda like that.

Only one person needs to keep hold of each supply, like camping equipment, but they don't have to worry about keeping track of the numbers.

I like the efficiency, at least. It's like equiping something on a loadout, 'do you want food or not food?' rather than 'how much food do you want? That'll take up.. This much of your backpack.'
>>
Why is it that, when giving an example of "roleplaying in combat", people ALWAYS list "swinging from a chandelier"?

What is it about swinging from chandeliers that makes it the first thing to come to mind?

Most people probably don't even see or think about chandeliers on a regular basis.
>>
Anons? I could really use a hand.

As an aspiring homebrewer, one of the races on my radar recently was the Saurian Shifter. Introduced in Dragon Magazine #328, these were basically watered-down were-dinosaurs. Now, call me immature if you must, but I think that this is actually a pretty awesome idea, especially after reading about the Ka-Tainted (sorcerously created dino-men) of Mystara's Hollow World in Dragon Magazine #315. Now, here's the thing... back in 3.5, Saurian Shifters could pick two "Shifting Aspects" and put them together in order to make their Shifter. In 5e, the vanilla Shifter only gets 1 "Shifter Aspect" at all, treating them as subraces.

Thing is, the Eberron Update races are... well, frankly rather bland and underpowered. The 3.5 Saurian Shifter traits have some ideas, but are mostly retreads of the Shifter. Heck, even the Ka-Tainted at least had some variable abilities depending on whether you used a Pleisiosaur, Tyrannosaur, Raptor or Triceratops in the ritual.

So, I'm really torn between which way to do things. Just straight up adapt the 3.5 version the same way that the Eberron Update did? Or get more creative?

Ultimately, I decided to give both versions a shot and see what people thought was the better version. So... yeah, feedback, please? I desperately need a hand.

Due to sheer size, follow the link below - this'd never be postable here on /tg/.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
Off topic, but anybody been having trouble with Mega lately? My downloads start at full speed and then drop to a few kb/s.
>>
>>51494476
Chandeliers have a bunch of things you can do.
You can swing from them.
You can drop them.
You can light them, you can put them out.
You can use them as a vantage point.
You can hide up on one if you're very careful.
They also set the scene for a grant chapel or place, which many important people may be in.

To be honest, when I think of 'improvized actions' I think mostly of climbing things, shutting doors and spilling kegs of booze.
>>
>>51493577
>And then wizards will do nothing but use non-attack spells
I'd be fine with that. The main point of magic shouldn't be to deal damage. That's what swords are for.
>>
>fat weabo girl
>about as annoying as my phones auto correct
>she is playing an elf Druid
>I'm a firbolg cleric
>she has "frog" features
>DM lets her wild shape into a giant frog while sleeping...
>she keeps using swallow on me while my character sleeps
>it has healing juices inside
>remarks about how I feel safe in her belly
>entire party and DM are like "ooooo"
>trying to set me up with her or something
>be a fit human male, no thanks
>ghost
>she now has my number and is texting me

Try dnd they said it will be fun
>>
>>51493577
Just to chime in, PAM and GWF are stupid in vanilla too.
>>
>>51494266
When a class feature grants you a bonus spell, it becomes a spell for the class that granted the feature. Cleric spellcasting is Wisdom-based.
>>
File: 053n.jpg (300KB, 1280x1135px) Image search: [Google]
053n.jpg
300KB, 1280x1135px
>>51494598
Prepare for fairy tales.
>>
>>51494600
They make martials actually do decent damage and give a reason to use strength instead of dexterity.

Without it, you say 'fuck you' to pure barbarians, fighters and paladins
Paladins still manage to be good though
>>
>>51494648
Thanks for the answer.
>>
Ok, what can 20 strength do?

With that much strength, should I not be able to lift and throw things that are heavy?

A hill giant has 21 strength. My character has 20. If a giant can throw a boulder, my character should be able to throw a similar one.

Punch through wood, bend bars, etc
>>
>>51494598
well I can guarantee they would've tried that shit irl as well. But now you have an escape. You can fight back, through a medium, in a way you couldn't do ordinarily. What domain is your cleric? What level? We're gonna help you fight this bro.
>>
>>51493278
It's a damn good healer and gets only broken at later levels where it forces peace and gets to nova for one turn per long rest with a +monk level bonus to hit/damage with unarmed strikes if they see someone killed.

Yes the Monk UA was crap and they didn't even bother reading the PHB monk class to understand how it should work.
>>
>>51494717
Yeah pretty much. A normal human NPC can get up to about 18 Strength, so imagine the strongest human in the world. Your character is two levels stronger.
>>
>>51494717
Well, large creatures have doubled capacity of medium creatures, and huge creatures have double capacity of large creatures.
>>
>>51494717
You can lift a weight equal to 30x your strength. You can lift a 600 boulder, but probably not throw it (let's see how far you can throw the most weight you can possibly deadlift)
>>
>>51494717
At 20 strength you can reliably kill average humans with a single punch, but you're still tied to your frame really. You're a 20 strength humanoid, not a 20 strength giant.
>>
>>>51494796
My punch does 1+str mod, so 6.
>>
>>51493278
Overall pretty good, would recommend.

>>51494740
Compare +20 damage to potential instant kill from open hand technique. They have different conditions such as ki usages, reaction when someone dies, etc.. But I wouldn't say it's crazy or broken, especially once allies get level 9 spells.
>>
>>51494808
You could kill a woman with a 6 damage punch.
>>
>>51494808
A commoner has 1d8 HP and a noble has 2d8 HP, it's feasible.
>>
>>51494831
>>51494832
You would take down 6/8 of people in one punch, and outright kill 3/8 people in one
>>
>>51494285
What do the pro DnD players use?

(Not the anon you replied to, just some one who uses that program)
>>
How balanced is Artificer?
>>
Does anyone else have experience being a DM with aphantasia?

I only recently learned that all you people are being literal when you talk about seeing things in your head, and a lot of the complaints I've gotten from players about my DMing suddenly make sense.

Anyone else in a similar position have tips for giving your players the information they need to visualize? It's hard to use trial and error when you just don't posses the sense you're trying to appeal to.
>>
>>51494995
timestamped photographs of real dice resting on the day's newspaper
>>
>>51495072
From experience: it's actually bit on the lower side, power-wise. It has some really good exploits later on but those don't come online for a long time because they're a 1/3rd-caster.
>>
>>51495072
It's not overpowered if that's what you're asking, and I wouldn't say the damage output or utility is particularly lacking. It's good overall.
>>
>>51495075
We're being figuratively literal, not literally literal.
>>
>>51495072
>DMs heming and hawing over whether or not UA like Artificer is busted when they let Rogues, Paladins, and Wizards in their game no questions asked
>>
>>51495072
Some minor issues like thieves' tools expertise kinda almost trumping rogue if they didn't have +dex, healing draught being too good compared to other options...

Biggest issue is likely the level 6 feature is strong but doesn't scale and just feels... Wrong. It's like getting 'You get a powerful warhorse' as a class feature - it just shouldn't happen.

Gunsmith is also definitely weaker than alchemist unless you can get really creative with guns and your DM allows it.

However, in the end with maybe tweaks to make it run better I'd call it not as great as full casters or paladin for sure but still on par with the other classes and great fun. I especially like that it gives at-will abilities for those tired of all the spell slot management and such.

A lot of great potential utility, tends to fill a rogue's role.
>>
>>51495080
More like rolling the dice on cam, with someone else proving that it's the first time they roll.

You can roll dice with a timestamp ad infinitum until you get a perfect match. Unless the GM defines a certain timestamp, such as having to roll the dice in 7.55pm-8.00pm
>>
File: 1459881930509.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1459881930509.webm
3MB, 800x450px
Hi folks

I've been invited to a 5ed game; this will be my first encounter with the system (although I've played second, third and fourth edition). I am to create first level character using only PHB, we're going to run Curse of Strahd.

This obviously lead to me thinking about Castlevania. Say, is building a Vengeance Paladin that dual-wielding whips viable? I initially wanted to go for polearms (I love having reach), but this means that I'd have to boost strength and wear heavy armor, something I'm not comfortable with, as that particular DM can be a real pain in the ass about armors. The average damage drops by about three points, but this way I can attack from the offhand as well, potentially gaining another opportunity to smite if I really want to nova something.

I want to be a double Belmont
>>
>>51494873
>A max level barbarian could reliably kill 6/8 people in one punch, but only if he's angry
>A max level monk has the potential to kill 7/8 commoners in one punch, but needs to roll well on his d10, otherwise he's doing worse than the barb
>a max level paladin can smite 5/8 commoners dead with their weakest punch, at best they can even outright kill nobles with a max damage of 46
>>
>>51495075
Specific measurements help. So does describing what materials things are made of. Common go-to sensory details are what things smell like, what the weather's like, and what the ceiling is like.

You can really have fun when describing monster deaths. Deaths are sometimes slow, sometimes fast, and always messy. Fluids get on people's clothes. Skeletons don't just fall over; they xylophone to pieces.
>>
>>51495152
>>51495080
>>51494995
That's terrible.
I'm part of a serious DnD community that only accepts rolls generated by the LIGO Hanford Observatory, a random number between 1 and 20 generated by the exact length of the Observatory at any one given time.
An on-site scientist mediates the rolls to ensure that each person only rolls as many as is needed and faxes them back to us over a secure line.

Problem is, when those two black holes merged a while back, we started rolling 40s.
>>
>>51495158
You'd need to take Dual Wielder because whips aren't light, and if you're taking that feat you probably want to use the biggest weapons you can get.

If I recall, paladins don't get access to the two-weapon fighting style, either. Two-weapon fighting doesn't work super well with them for that reason and because a lot of a paladin's damage comes from smiting stuff.
>>
>>51495232
Or you could just roll the dice in a way that the GM sees it. Like, it's not that difficult. Get into Roll20, make a game, and roll away six times. You can even make a separate room for making characters.

Shit's not difficult.
>>
File: one punch man.jpg (358KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
one punch man.jpg
358KB, 3840x2160px
>>51494873
there's a good question.

How to? Is there any series of buffs you could stack that would feasibly allow you to use unarmed abilities to kill in one punch?
>>
>>51495291
What are you, an idiot?
Anyone could easily hack into that and fudge the rolls.
I hear roll20 even has 'pay for better rolls' or 'roll trading' going on. You wouldn't believe how expensive 1s actually are.
>>
>>51495291
nah that's stupid. now roll to break gravity
>>
>>51495356
You mean playing a monk and then asking your DM if you can be 10 levels higher than the party?
>>
>>51495387
No I meant legally. Hence the expansion upon the question right next to it.
>>
>>51495258

Crap, you're right. From what I understand I also can't AoO against opponents that move within my range, so the reach is not all that useful here.

Any other ideas for fun/ useful characters for CoS?
>>
File: smiling sheev.jpg (180KB, 1529x1200px) Image search: [Google]
smiling sheev.jpg
180KB, 1529x1200px
>>51495421
>>51495356
>Is there any series of buffs you could stack that would feasibly allow you to use unarmed abilities to kill in one punch?
Not from a martial.
>>
>>51495470
Hence why I did not specify a martial, come on man. If muscle wizard does the job, then tell me how to muscle wizard.
>>
>>51495158
>>51495461
>by 3 points
It's not that simple.
Polearms are overwhelmingly the best paladin weapons. You pick up PAM and fuck things over.
If you want to not use strength with it, you take three levels of warlock for shillelagh or six levels of bard for shillelagh.

Honestly though, you can do whatever with paladin and you'll still be viable as long as you're not too stupid.

There's no reason a DM should punish people for wearing heavy armour. There's an argument against most points used to limit heavy armour users, and heavy armour is literally just +1 AC over medium armour when it's harder to get proficiency in, always gives stealth disadvantage, requires 15 strength (A worse stat than dexterity) Rather than 14 dex, cannot be used by barbarians, et cetera et cetera and doesn't even protect you from things like fireballs.
>>
>>51495152
>You can roll dice with a timestamp ad infinitum until you get a perfect match
the joke was you can put the die down with whatever faces you desire; there's no proof you rolled shit with a timestamp photo
>>
File: Muscle Wizard.jpg (511KB, 1654x3443px) Image search: [Google]
Muscle Wizard.jpg
511KB, 1654x3443px
>>51495504
Not a bad way to incarnate Saitama, I must admit.
>>
>>51492791
allowing the bladelock to use cha for their melee hit rolls seems like a start.
>>
>>51493085
Just curious, how did your DM let you handle ammo? Did the crossbow already have a bolt loaded or did you have to load it right after summoning it?
>>
>>51495258
>>51495461
I will say though, two-weapon-fighting isn't so bad on a paladin if you focus on charisma, considering paladins get at level 11 +1d8 to every attack and they have a chance of critting with each attack which allows them to crit smite. They also have bonus actions most of the time.
However, as said, the only reason you'd ever take it is if you wanted to play a race other than variant human for paladin that also increases dexterity or something and if you don't care much about damage.
A two shortsword paladin compared to a greatsword paladin really doesn't lose much.

Taking dual-wielder and you might as well take PAM instead, bite the bullet, suit up in heavy armour and take the polearms out.
>>
>>51495421

Sure

Play Tabaxi Bard, get Contagion at level 10, sellect Slimy Doom, your melee spell attack deals 1d4 damage because of Claws, and the creature becomes stunned
>>
>>51495470
>Not from a martial.
>Pic related

Oh god, you got me
>>
>>51495356
Open hand technique monk.
Become level 17.
Use your ability to instantly kill shit. Get a portent wizard or take two levels of portent yourself to gaurantee enemies fail the save throw. Spam stuns on enemies that have legendary resistance until they use them all / don't use them and get stunned.
>>
>>51493796
How does your group roll ?
>>
>>51495659
>>51495546

Thanks.

I guess I'll go for polearms then, and hope that DM won't be an asshole about clunky armor. Or die horribly, which is always fun.
>>
So my party met venomfang...

>5 character party, all level 5
>they explore, a lot.
>go into the dragons lair
>dragon says welcome ominously and climbs along the walls chatting to the party
>asks the party why it is in such a remote location
>he convinces the party that the Druid wants his treasure, but he does not wish to harm the misguided mortal
>tons of contradicting lies
>they kill the Druid and come back for their reward
>Dragon shows them some of his treasure, asks them to each pick out one thing
>venomfang is laying next to his hoard with the party right in front of him
>you hear the dragon inhale deeply
>TPK
>>
>>51495072

Im playing one now in a lv12 campaign

The compairsons to Rogues they have gotten are pretty apt. Your a skill monkey not a full caster like a Bard or a Sneaky stabby Rogue. The base class abilities are only marginally tilted towards a support role with a few low level buffs that can be tossed around as infusions and the rest s focused on you.Extra attunment is nice if you get enough items to attune too but its a fairly passive easy to forget benefit. The mechanical servant doesnt scale but just choose something with a great effect like flying or pouncing and its like a spell thats always on

Alchemist is the go too archetype. Firebombs are a better AOE option than Gunsmith gets until level 17 and you get better damage the whole time available from level 1. Your acid bombs are only a D6 and a secondary stat behind Thundermonger. Top it off with a few solid control and support effects and your going to be a nice utility guy for the party.

The biggest thing I always want people to remember is the artificer has a fair number of ritual spells without the ability to use rituals. Spending a feat to get ritual casting is totally worth it especially considering your limited number of spells known
>>
>>51495738
Sounds good to me

Never trust a dragon, that was your first mistake
>>
i'm about to try out gunsmith artificer in less than a week from now. wanted some feedback on my build so far. standard point buy, variant human, starting lvl 3

STR 10 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 10
feat: sharpshooter
background: urban bounty hunter
skills: arcana, investigation, sleight of hand, stealth, deception, persuasion

spells: alarm, expeditious retreat, disguise self

Been thinking about multiclassing fighter for a one or two level dip in order to get archery+action surge but i don't wanna delay my progression way too much. i was thinking after level 6 maybe?
>>
Here's a challenge.

You have a friend who rolled these >>51493796
bullshit stats because their DM asked them to
>Roll for stats

Your friend is a hardcore powergamer and will powergame whatever they're given to the utmost extremes. However, you get to make the character itself.

The character must be single-classed, and as shit as possible no matter how hard the player tries to make use of it.

Go.
>>
>>51495461
>for CoS?

In order?

Cleric Or Paladin, preferably Cleric.
Curse of Strahd begs at least one of those.

Arcana Cleric with Ritual Spell Caster Wizard.
The Amber tample will be a blast

Bard. Lore Bard is always a correct answer.

If your DM is big on rewarding intrigue, Mastermind rogue might get something out of it, though Thief rogue might get something better overwall

There's a reason why wizards are known as the USEFUL class.

You might get something out of a druid or possibly a revised ranger. Can't recommend it personally tho.

Warlocks will find a lot of positive story niches for them, especially the Undying ones, but we're getting into average to mediocre choices here

Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight... Because you didn't pick Paladin

Barbarian. Because you were too dumb to pick Battlemaster, but too smart to pick Champion or Purple Dragon Knight

Sorcerer, Draconic or Storm. Because you didn't pick Wizard.

Monk. Because you didn't pick rogue?
With Searing Soul, Shadow or Long Death you may actually still qualify as CoS appropriate but...jeez
>>
>>51495738
My party isn't at that point yet, but what are some interesting ways to play venomfang?
>>
>>51495794

I know, Monk of the 4 elements

Wait, no, I got it, Beastmaster Ranger
oh

Yeah thats perfect

Bladelock
>>
>>51495794
Fiend Warlock, of any class.
Your DM never gives the party an opportunity for a short rest. Wait till warlock dies, then switch up the tactics to a friendlier pace.
>>
>>51495794
Orc Moon Druid, With 13 wisdom.

I would play the shit of that.
>>
did they just decide not to post any UA this week?
>>
>>51495794
Starting level? You should combine the 1/3rd and half casting classes (i.e. 3 PHB beastmaster Ranger, 2 Paladin) to keep him from getting decent spells while constraining his spell slot availability. Throw in exactly 3 levels of Wot4e monk to gimp his ability to actually cast with ki.
>>
>>51495908
Oh god that one, that one's perfect.
>>
>>51495851
Well I'm a new DM. I read up on green dragons and you gotta be really into it. It's got 16 Int 13 wis and 15 cha and is proficient with deception

Green dragons are known for corrupting the good and being deceitful.

I played a fiercely intelligent, almost noble like dragon who lied and feigned honor and manipulated the party by pretending to be a patron of the party.

I had him kind of slink around lazily and kind of monologue unthreatening.
>>
>>51495788
>sharpshooter
I get you want to be a sniper, but...
This is unlikely to come up very often that you'll ever make attacks at that distance you get from it. As such, optimization-wise, that sucks.

However, I can see you're probably doing it for fun and that's probably okay.

>bounty hunter
The typical edge background.

>spells
Alarm is cute, but you can't cast it as a ritual and if there's anyone who can (tomelock, wizard) it's better they do it. The spells seem like fun use for sniping about but also expeditious retreat means you can't reload your gun as you move, so I guess it's only really for double-dashing. Having cure wounds in there somewhere or the +2 AC or longstrider.. Yes, longstrider might be a good idea - it uses no concentration, you can infuse it into an item or cast it in places. With 40ft speed, you can dash for 80ft speed, or just run and gun at 40ft speed.
Action surge would require you to have your weapon already loaded so you can load it after your action, but I suppose that could work. Would be better if you had piercing shot or something already by then. 1 level of fighter isn't bad but you're best off starting with it unless artificer doesn't give you +1 proficiency and tools for multiclassing into it.. Actually, yeah, just leave the fighter levels for later.
>>
>>51495908
Probably variable levels if they play it through a level 1 to 20 campaign except with you choosing the options, though obviously the lower level decisions matter the most.

If only there were low stats, you could make a monk that is forced to use their unarmoured AC which gives them negative AC.
>>
>>51495075
what's aphantasia
>>
>>51496013
Can't you imagine it?
>>
Just a fair reminder to those who are not in the know, as I just found this out:

You cannot gain the benefits of a long rest more than once every 24 hours. So if you are having trouble with caster utility in your game, be sure to keep that rule in mind. Casters don't get those spells and effects back until the next day.
>>
>>51496220
If your wizards were taking 8 hour rests after almost everything in the first place, I think forcing them to wait until the end of the day to sleep isn't going to help much.
>>
>still relatively new to DMing
>one of my players is a power gamer
>keeps mowing down every encounter with little input from other players
>completely ignores plot hooks, brute forces through all of my traps with athletics, ignores me when I say he can't do an impossible task and expects something to happen because he rolled a 20
>no one is really bothered, but I feel like my encounters and plot progression aren't up to snuff to compensate
How do I get good at DMing?
>>
>>51496310
kill him
>>
>>51496310
How does a player just force their way through all the traps with athletics without somehow fucking something up?

Are these all 'giant grappling orc' traps that give in when they've been wrestled too hard or something?
>>
>>51496310
Make a character sheet and give the power gamer the title. Obviously if he isn't listening to you and still getting stuff done, then you aren't DMing, you are refereeing.

Seriously it's a lot of fucking work to DM and if they don't listen to you and ignore your shit then let them fucking do it.
>>
>>51496310
Oodles of ranged creatures and spellcasters using cantrips targeting his weak save in every encounter, attacking solely him because "he's the biggest threat".

Determine his shittiest skills and build encounters (exploratory and SOCIAL) around them. Have NPCs pay more attention to everyone else in the party over him.
>>
>>51496310

I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

>Think up a couple cool boss battles
>Party smashes it, it was a joke
>Make a throw-away battle with basic enemies, nothing special
>Party gets utterly demolished

Then again, it is a party of three, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
>>
>>51496310
>one of my players is a power gamer
>keeps mowing down every encounter with little input from other players

Make harder encounters?

>completely ignores plot hooks,

If he hasn't run out of things to kill there is some kind of plot happening.

>brute forces through all of my traps with athletics,

Design traps that can't be defeated by raw athletics, or raise the athletics DC? This is 5e, you can't power game to boost your athletics score as a matter of course. Either he gave some other option up to be good at athletics or your traps are severely too athletics-able.

> ignores me when I say he can't do an impossible task and expects something to happen because he rolled a 20

This is just him be a fucknugget. Don't give in or encourage him. Natural 20s mean nothing outside of critical hits. Don't EVER let him argue you away from that.

>no one is really bothered, but I feel like my encounters and plot progression aren't up to snuff to compensate

If nobody is bothered then who cares? But it doesn't sound like nobody's bothered, it sounds like YOU are bothered, so acknowledge that. The DM is supposed to be having fun too, you know.
>>
>>51496372
>make a cool boss battle
>party completely trivializing it
>HERE COME THE REINFORCEMENTS
Doesn't matter if it's a bandit captain, a fucking bugbear and his goblin minions, a dragon, or an ancient supercomputer, you can always bullshit up some new adds and spice the party's buttholes.
>>
Anyone heard if we are getting a Plane Shift: Kalidash book?
>>
>>51496310
Well, here's the solution. Long ago, on a distant planet, inhabited solely by ayy lmaos, there was a huge explosion, and part of the planet's crust tore away from it. This huge chunk then settled into a trajectory on course for the planet your players are on. As it speeds up upon entry into the atmosphere, the rock heats up, causing it to get smaller. Eventually it is the size of a football. Then, by some miracle of chance, it lands directly on top of your powergamer's head. His brain is pulverised into his shoes, and despite best efforts, he cannot be revived without irreversible brain damage. If he is revived, he takes an extreme hit to all stats. If he isn't revived, and rolls a new character, tell him to knock the powergaming shit off, and check through the fucker before waving it in.

You're welcome.
>>
>>51496408

I'm just taking it as a learning experience. I've got a boss battle planned for the end of the current arc in which they'll be fighting someone with blindsight in a completely dark room. Should make it a bit harder if they all have constant disadvantage.
>>
>>51496483
>make a knockdown attempt
>it's not an attack roll so it isn't made at disadvantage
>enemy now grants advantage
>this cancels out everyone's disadvantage
>someone grapples him
>this is also not made at disadvantage when blinded
>enemy sitting on the floor all round while people stick him with knives
>>
>>51496483
You could try disabling the powergamer in order to ascertain how good the party are without him. Like, use a glyph of warding and have it cast forcecage just on him.
>>
>>51496408
I think the best thing is to make sure players know that reinforcements might arrive.
This makes it feel less like you're just extending things for the heck of it and makes them think 'Well, if we can block off the doors mid-combat, we might be able to stall reinforcements' and it'll make the combat harder, for the reward of it not becoming super hard. That sort of thing. As much as you can make something harder on the fly, it's best that players get hints of all of the possible moves the opponents might pull on them so they've more to think about it.

... But yes, this isn't a bad exercise - don't just give the guy more HP, develop the situation by throwing in some more enemies. Better than doing nothing, even if you just made it up on the fly.
>>
>>51496543

Oh no, I'm a different newbie DM. I don't have any power games in any of my groups...well, maybe. A new guy joined one of the groups I'm a part of which I will start DMing for in about three weeks. I dunno anything about him, but he was kind of a cunt. I glanced at his sheet though and his stats were complete ass (and he rolled for HP too).
>>
>>51496408
Every once in awhile I'll have a boss get chumped.

Last time it was a death cleric who was killed in one turn, so he took off his robe and roshi'd into a monk
>>
>>51496592
Well. Bear glyph of warding in mind. It's basically the perfect trapmaking tool. You can use it to cast any spell of equal or lesser level than the level it's cast at. So it lets you make traps, and lets the players know that there's a magic user of at least that level somewhere around.
>>
>>51496529
>It isn't made at disadvantage
Why would someone just lie on the internet?!
>>
File: Hell No.gif (1MB, 158x129px) Image search: [Google]
Hell No.gif
1MB, 158x129px
>>51496529
>>it's not an attack roll so it isn't made at disadvantage
>>this is also not made at disadvantage when blinded

Sorry m8, they're attacks according to PHB
>>
File: grapplinginthedark.png (272KB, 1112x414px) Image search: [Google]
grapplinginthedark.png
272KB, 1112x414px
>>51496690
>>51496660
>disadvantage on ATTACK ROLLS
>shoving and grappling are ABILITY CHECKS
>>
>>51496690
It's a 'special melee attack' but it does not make an attack roll - it makes an ability check - athletics.
>>
File: marisa reimu.png (87KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
marisa reimu.png
87KB, 540x405px
>it's a "new player is a powergaming fuck who wants to make a bard" episode
>>
>>51496739
Not them but it's pretty clear what's intended here.
>>
>>51496761
>trying to hit someone and cause damage through their armor while unable to see shit
>vs making even the barest contact with someone and taking them to the floor
>>
>>51496755
>new player
If they're new to 5e, let them at it.

If they're not new to 5e, suggest they try and not metagame hard. I.e. take a suboptimal gimmick and optimize that instead.

>>51496761
The enemy doesn't get advantage on saves against fireballs and stuff. Also, if you're grappling someone, you don't need to see them - you're in close contact with their body and you pretty much know where all their limbs are.
>>
>>51496755
Tell him to make a bard, ignore his combat stats. Now he's just a dude with an instrument. Give him npc stats.
>>
>>51496800
Do you guys tell players they have advantage/disadvantage
>>
>>51496800
>tfw my Awakened Mystic has been twice the little shit any Bard could ever hope to be
>can't even cast Fireballs or anything, just abuses Occluded Mind
>>
>>51496850
>Your awakened mystic is now a fraudulent psychic.
>They lie to people at a carnival for money,
>>
File: 1485903287481.png (388KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485903287481.png
388KB, 1920x1080px
>>51496739
Shoving and grappling are special attacks, not ability checks. Attacks are never ability checks.

>>51496750
It's not an ability check, it's an attack, regardless of what mechanic it mimics.

>>51496795
>The enemy doesn't get advantage on saves against fireballs and stuff.
Because that's a save, not an attack
>Also, if you're grappling someone, you don't need to see them - you're in close contact with their body and you pretty much know where all their limbs are.
Grappling doesn't mean giving a creature a bear hug, it just means grabbing part of them so they can't run away as easily.
>>
>>51496877
>ask NPC a question they can't lie about
>occluded mind them into thinking you didn't just ask that question
>feed their own answer to them
>get them out of the building within 5 minutes
>>
>>51496898
>he thinks anyone wants to listen to a man who can't crop his images
your interpretation of rules and ability to read them as written is as sloppy as your image editing ability
>>
>>51496904
Even easier
>I'm your best friend and you owe me 10 gold.
>>
>>51496930
You've lost and now you're resorting to personal attacks like a petulant child.
>>
Njucto guy here; moving down the list of races for my setting. Any feedback on balance and fluff will be treasured.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJQz5q7nve
>>
>>51496898
Uh, that's there to stop people from saying "I want to sleight of hand my dagger into the guy's ribs" or "I acrobatically kick him in the face."
>>
>>51496898
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/08/shove-grapple-attacks/
It is an attack, but it is still an ability check, not an attack roll. You would never make an attack roll with a skill.
>>
>>51496967

Not that guy, and I don't care about the argument you guys are having, but seriously, editing images in MS paint is middle-school tier autism. Go download Photoshop.
>>
>>51496967
>>>/pol/
>>
File: don't result in a hit or miss.png (7KB, 412x83px) Image search: [Google]
don't result in a hit or miss.png
7KB, 412x83px
>>51496898
Well I can't find anything explicit, but pic related (from sage advice compendium) seems to strongly imply that you don't make a normal attack roll as part of grappling or shoving.
>>
>>51497004

Alright, this /pol/ boogeyman meme is getting out of hand. You can't just say everyone who says something you dislike is /pol/.
>>
>>51496995
Hey, I edit in Paint, too. I even installed the old Vista-and-earlier version on 10 just because I hate the newer version. I want something light and fast for my two second edits, can't be assed to load up GIMP or PS every time.

But I crop my shit.
>>
>>51497036
You don't understand.
When someone is a wrong-ass motherfucker and responds to people laughing at them as they deserve, "y-y-you don't have an argument, stop being mean" is the standard /pol/ response. I'm not saying he's a Nazi, he just got his posting style from a bunch of 'em.

Sometimes you just gotta call faggots faggots and leave it at that.
>>
>>51496904
Nah, if your powers were removed and you were given npc stats.
>>
Man here I was thinking about Armor of Invulnerability and Oath of Ancients paladin being resistant to all damage ever. But everything changed when the magic weapons came into play.
>>
>>51497070

I'm not sure how you managed to get yourself this fucking confused, but I am impressed to be honest.

What next, /b/ is a hugbox too? Jesus Christ.
>>
File: crawford grappling.png (45KB, 633x473px) Image search: [Google]
crawford grappling.png
45KB, 633x473px
>>51497028
Even better, I found Crawford outright stating it.
>>
>>51496985
This pretty clearly states that the skill roll of a special melee attack is not "an attack roll", and normal instances of disadvantage or advantage do not apply.
>>
>>51497117
That doesn't mean you wouldn't have disadvantage though, just that it's up to the DM to decide and not written in a rule somewhere to prevent autistic children from fighting on the internet
>>
>>51497070
You're overloading the term. Claiming /pol/ for any instance of poor argumentation just dilutes its meaning.
>>
>>51497088
On that note how much force would a knight in armor of invulnerability do after falling for 10 minutes? Ignoring the limit on fall damage and thinking more about small meteor.
>>
>>51497170
RAW, it clearly does.
>>
ported over some subrace ideas that didn't survive to 5e: frost elves, polar halflings, and storm genasi, as well as a made up edge option for dragonborn. Thoughts? I feel like the first two need an extra minor trait to round them out, but I erred on the side of caution to keep them balanced.

If anyone has any requests, I'd be happy to stat those out, too. Kinda disappointed I didn't find more while scouring old AD&D books.
>>
>>51497194
>>>/pol/
>>
>>51497222
>>>/pol/
>>
>>51497205
RAW just says that a DM can choose to impose advantage or disadvantage on any ability check they choose. So being blinded doesn't actually give a grapple disadvantage, but that doesn't prevent the DM from saying "sorry you have disadvantage on this ability check because you can't see" anyway

I'm almost certain my DM would rule like that anyways, maybe you guys have different experiences though
>>
File: hecapturedmytrick.gif (87KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
hecapturedmytrick.gif
87KB, 300x100px
>>51497239
>>
>>51495075
I am unable to internally visualize and I've never had a problem DMing. Do you describe enough? You might like to show physical pictures of things as well
>>
Anyone out there run some homebrew feats? Were they balanced or were they shit?
>>
As a Druid of the Land, what the fuck can I do with my bonus action that isn't healing word?
>>
>>51496739
>>This level of rulesfuckery, still wrong, mad
D&D 3.P that away>>>
>>
>>51497117
>>cearly states ... inserts own incorrect interpretation...

Here I thought 5th ed would have scared shit heads off already
>>
>>51497427
>telling martialfaggots to go to a pfgen
>still wrong
>>
>>51497501
Don't you lump yourself with us! We martialfags are a proud and honorable people. Looking to exploit dumb RAW shenanigans like some common caster is beneath us.
>>
>>51497496
Nah man it invites more than ever
>>
>>51497561
You have been poisoned by the lies of the casterfag. They have you arguing against your own interests. RAW exploits--not that this is one--are all we have, but you would throw it all away because the casterfag treacherously attempts to paint themselves and you with the same brush. Do not be fooled.
>>
How might one best represent Half-Swording? I have a player who's interested in it and I want to throw him a bone.

Warhammer attacks fluffed up?
>>
Anybody got a link to that doggo race?
>>
>player makes a new character and its a wizard
>says he is worried about survivability as most other players have a magic item or blessing to increase ac
>hints to me that he wants magic items to start with

Not only does a wiz have 15/16 ac with mage armour and can get 20+ ac with shield the dude gave his wiz a TEN in con

If yall so worried then get some hp I aint giving you SHIT
>>
>>51497643
Bludgeoning damage at the cost of two damage steps (1d12 -> 1d8, 2d6 -> 2d4)
This is really only useful if you give a lot of vulnerabilities and resistances to creatures. You might want to do this and also give him a hidden AB bonus (+2) against heavily armored enemies, which was the whole point of the technique.
>>
File: fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg (137KB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
fire_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg
137KB, 827x1169px
So players and myself (DM) have been pitching ideas back and forth for a homebrew setting. Everyone likes the idea of a multiplanar world where planes are intertwined and it isn't uncommon for one plane to "cross" into another. The Spirit Realm and Elemental Planes especially are closely connected with the Material Plane.

One of my players has a cool idea, he wants his character to have a pact with a playable fire elemental/spirit. Backstory the character gave a portion of his strength and vitality to make the pact, making his body pretty frail. Similar to how in that old PS2 game Drakkengard, the characters sacrificed a piece of themselves to form a pact with the creature. The player supports gimping his PC for some balance.

I have no idea this would work in 5e though, as I'm fairly new to it myself.
Should I consider the fire spirit a familiar, but with beefier stats and the ability to attack? And it can level up with the PC.
Or is there another "pet" rule set that I don't know about?

I think it's a cool idea, but I don't want it to get unbalanced.
>>
Hey /tg/, how would you build a Treachery paladin?

I've recently been given a chance to test out a treachery paladin but I am not entirely sure what to build it as. Narrowed it down to most likely half orc and no PAM because I despise that feat.

Rolled stats because yolo, ended up with 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11.
Ideas?
Thoughts?

He's going to be LE, playing for his own recognition and wealth, aiming to gain power and the end justifying the means.
>>
>>51497782
>Or is there another "pet" rule set that I don't know about?
The only pet rulesets are beastmaster companions (PHB is quite weak, most people like the UA one - it levels up too) and familiars (warlock familiars are a special kind of familiar), so if you're looking for inspiration those would be the places to look.

What race/class/stats does this character have anyway? I'd be leery about giving a full on beastmaster style pet to like a rogue or something.
>>
File: 007.png (56KB, 615x375px) Image search: [Google]
007.png
56KB, 615x375px
>Arcane Trickster
>Uses CHA or WIS as casting stat and takes Cleric spells (plus Mage Hand)

Would this break anything?

Playing a sneeki breeki church agent spy movie character expy.
>>
>>51497804
Honestly, I would only take 3 lvls in it to get the channel divinity and then pump the rest into wild magic sorcerer to gain advantage whenever you want and a ton of spell slots to smite.
Plus, you can take utility spells to help with deceitfulness (invisibility, disguise self, etc).
>>
>>51492791
You could write it up like the old Hideous Blow 3e Invocation. That invocation for reference:

HIDEOUS BLOW
Least; 1st; Blast Shape
As a standard action, you can make
a single melee attack. If you hit, the
target is affected as if struck by your
eldritch blast (including any eldritch
essence applied to the blast). This
damage is in addition to any weapon
damage that you
deal with your attack, although you
need not deal damage with this attack
to trigger the eldritch blast effect.

Works pretty well with the existing 5e EB evocations. Just reword it for 5e, like "when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack" etc.

>>51495612
Why not make the Pact of the Blade just make your existing Eldritch Blast a melee attack? I'd write it like this:

You get the Eldritch Blast cantrip, or another Warlock cantrip "if" you already had it.

Your Eldritch Blast is now a melee range spell attack (no long range attacks, no disadvantage at short range).

If you are holding a weapon, you may apply its properties to the attack. (This needs a formal, rules-lawyer appeasing wording, but basically you can use a magic sword and get a +1 bonus to your attack, or you can use a heavy weapon and apply your GWM feat, but you still deal EB damage and make EB attacks a round.)

That last one's probably overpowered. I'm not sure I care that much, though. If it is overpowered, it could be made less powerful by insisting that you also use the attribute associated with the weapon, i.e. STR, DEX or CHA for that fucking shillellellagh.
>>
>>51497782
Would be best represented by having the player character not participate much in combat except for special moments (go pull a lever, interrupt when everybody's dying to potentially endanger themself to save others) and otherwise largely use the elemental. Essentially split the combat portion of the player's skills into the fire elemental and the utility portion into the player.

That's the easiest to balance, anyway. In 5e, action economy dictates that generally 2 creatures are more powerful than 1 because two creatures get two actions.

Also UA ranger with beastmaster except buffing the beast and nerfing the player slightly, or just an artificer without much need to nerf the character themself or even modify the level 6 construct much.
>>
>>51497643
The Longsword has rules for holding it one-handed and holding it two-handed, basically changing the damage die. I imagine it would work similarly, either changing the reach and damage die of a reach weapon or changing some other weapon's option, like making it Defensive weapon or whatever. The system really doesn't support such a specific choice in combat tactics - Using a longsword in roman, greek, or german styles doesn't change anything mechanically, just how you fluff things out. - But if you wanted to give it mechanics I'd start with that.
>>
>>51497850
Wis should be disallowed as it's way stronger than charisma or intellect.
Charisma isn't much stronger than intellect, as long as it's not abused for multiclassing purposes.
>>
File: dog race.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
dog race.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>51497685
here you go senpai, got it right here.
>>
>>51497886
Yeah I figured CHA would fit better as Bards are often party faces anyways and there's precedence in the Paladin for something similar.
>>
>>51497854
Wouldn't that miss out on extra attack aswell as their pretty nutso lvl 7 aura?
>>
File: Hypnotic Gate.jpg (26KB, 301x320px) Image search: [Google]
Hypnotic Gate.jpg
26KB, 301x320px
>>51497903
>Bards
what
I literally typed Rogues.

Am I going insane?
>>
>>51497918
i mean you're not technically wrong either way.
>>
>>51495158
BUGBEARMONT
>>
>>51497928
I think I need to just go to sleep instead of designing more characters I'll never get to play.
>>
>>51497910
Eh, if you want you could take the 4 more lvls in paladin to get those if you want, be paladin 7/sorcerer 13. Though take at least 1-3 lvls in sorcerer fairly early for the extra smites and sorcerer points/metamagic.

Though, as for the extra attack, gaining the ability to cast haste on yourself as a bonus action can cover for that.... (And if you take more paladin lvls later on, you basically have the fighter's 3 attacks when you want).
>>
>>51497897
Kouhai please.
>>
What is the most fun utility class, Bard, Arcane Trickster, or Artificer Alchemist?
>>
>>51498093
Mystic.
>>
>>51498093
Bard or cleric by far. Warlock if your ok with boring combat.
>>
>>51498043
>Though, as for the extra attack, gaining the ability to cast haste on yourself as a bonus action can cover for that
Sure, though my DM is notorious for going full-ham with encounters per day.
A Sorc dip is pretty easy to justify aswell I suppose as you can literally just go "he had powerful magic users in his lineage" or some shit.

Though, what'd you recommend, just go 3 in paladin and a few in sorc, or 5 in paladin and then go sorc as to avoid having to use slots to gain an extra attack?

We're starting out at level 3.
>>
>>51498093
Fighter.
>>
>>51498003
I know that feel. I have a list of characters, and they're in three categories. Can play, can't play, and might be able to play.

It's less because of campaign restraints and more because my DM is an SJW though. So the more insensitive characters are immediately thrown in the trash.
>>
>>51498233
Why would your DM not allow insensitive characters? You don't have to be a bright, shiney good guy when you play D&D
>>
>>51498093
>>51498149
Second for Mystic. Being proficient in every skills and tools is pretty balling. Super suggestion and super zone of truth is great too.
>>
>>51498233
What do you mean, insensitive? Like, blatantly a nazi paladin or just hitting on all the tavern wenches and flicking their tips into the gap between their titties?
>>
>>51498233
>So the more insensitive characters are immediately thrown in the trash.
You've gotta provide more info than that. I've stopped players playing stuff like !Trump before because it gets annoying really fucking fast.
>>
I have a feeling that my DM been fudging monster and NPC saving throw to rail road us. Should I kill my current character and unleash Lucky Halfling Diviner?
>>
>>51498347
Just ask to see the rolls.
Or, I dunno, try going along with his plot?
>>
>>51498347
It depends, are you running a pre-built adventure? because those don't really work properly unless you fudge the shit out of rolls.
>>
>>51498347
Are you okay with being railroaded? Do you have a mouth and can say to him, "Hey DM, I'm not sure that these things are adding up."?
>>
>>51498343
$50 says anon makes the edgiest characters and thinks "but it's in character for my fighter to hate half-elves!" makes him less of an asshole.
>>
>>51498332
>>51498324
>>51498270
I did have a blatant nazi paladin, but Oath of Conquest is fun, I wanted to be an extremely inspirational and fearsome leader of men.

Basically anything that offends his sensibilities he says "No." And if I push him he says "Fine" and then proceeds to anally rape my character 8 ways to sunday through fudging rolls and planning difficult encounters and causing mobs to target me to take out his anger on it. It sucks.
>>
>>51498407
Lucky Halfling Diviner.
Fuck his world up.
>>
>>51498407
>I did have a blatant nazi paladin
>>
>>51498425
I am keeping that back for if he fucks with my brother's character. I make shitty decisions, fine, I can deal with that, but my brother is inexperienced and may some day trip off his inscrutable asshole switch for some cause or another
>>
>>51498368
No, we're playing in his homebrew world.

>>51498361
I don't think he will give me the actual roll. This guy always roll behind the screen. And his plot involve showing how awesome his DMPC are, so screw that.
>>
>>51498437
Yes. I thought it'd be alright to have. It was the first time he said no, I thought i'd push the boundaries a bit, try something that'd have weaknesses, maybe character development during the course of the campaign. No. He doesn't even want to try.
>>
File: daniel-kamarudin-cowbro.jpg (298KB, 1000x1666px) Image search: [Google]
daniel-kamarudin-cowbro.jpg
298KB, 1000x1666px
I have never attempted to make an Eldritch Knight. What are some fun builds for an Eldritch Knight? What kind of shenanigans are they able to pull off?
>>
File: 1477325783162.jpg (274KB, 535x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1477325783162.jpg
274KB, 535x1320px
>>51498449
>And his plot involve showing how awesome his DMPC are
>>
>>51498467
Your roleplaying ideas don't mean shit if you're going to be insufferable for the first 10 sessions.

Like, I get where you're coming from but playing a character everyone hates is really not that fun for other people at the table.
>>
>>51498497
That's the thing. It was an neutral/evil characters campaign. But he meant comic evil not actual evil.
>>
Is Light Cleric fun? I heard that fire damage is pretty shit in 5e with all the immunity.
>>
How is Primeval Thule as a setting and a toolkit? I have an urge to play something of a cross between Conan and Warhammer Fantasy
>>
>>51498506
Well fuck, it's evil to make nazis funny, just look at The Producers.
>>
>>51498481
Eldritch Knight lends itself really when to SnB, where you don't lose too much damage for using the blade cantrips, but if you want to play an eldritch knight for slinging around damaging spells you'll be better off with a fighter 5/Sorcerer(or any spellcaster) x.
>>
>>51497804
Anyone else able to chime in on this?

Might go good ol' greataxe since half-orc and whatnot. Undecided if I should go dexpaladin or strength.
With strength I might aswell pick up the Heavy Armor feat for DR, though dex is inherently a bit better at avoiding area spells aswell.
>>
>>51498649
Yeah, I was willing as well, though it's a bit hard to make the Oath of Conquest humorous, what with all the fear and avatars of war and such.
>>
>>51498641
Ask your DM to play a Tempest Cleric with the Light Cleric's domain spells and every instance of "thunder" or "lightning" damage in your features replaced with "fire". It's strictly better from a damage perspective than Light, is a more fun playstyle, and isn't any more broken than Tempest.

That said, Fire being one of the most common resistances doesn't mean you will ever encounter a creature resistant to it.
>>
Every character could benefit from a 2 level dip in Divination Wizard. What don't you do it anon.
>>
>>51498649
*easy
dammit spelling
>>
>>51498467
>I thought i'd push the boundaries a bit
If you knew he would be uncomfortable with that, why would you do it? Just don't be an asshole and make characters with flaws that won't piss off people at the table. To me it just sounds like you're trying to be That Guy and your DM doesn't know how to handle it well.
>>
>>51498731
hmm.. I would rather just play normal tempest then. Maybe tempest 2 / storm sorcerer the rest or something.
>>
>>51498804
You don't know him like I do. He wasn't even "Genocide and gas chambers" nazi. He was "I hate other races" Because in the setting, humans had been beaten into a coastal nation by elves and dwarves fucking them over in the process of fighting their own wars, and he wanted to make humanity strong and fight back.
>>
>>51498506
>evil campaign
>DM still punches nazis
>>
>>51493796
Paladin, son
>>
>>51498821
But fire is way cooler
>>
>>51498875
Ask yourself, Anon: what are the wages of sin?
>>
>>51498896
Fire is cooler than Lightning? Maybe in terms of actual temperature.
>>
>>51498922
Nigga Fire > Lightning
>>
>>51498922
>fire has an elemental lord
>lightning and thunder doesn't
checkmate
talos and akadi are fags btw
>>
Hey y'all! I'm running Storm King's Thunder and I have a question. My players just got to Bryn Shander and explored around the town a little bit, meeting most of the major NPCs and doing a little buying and selling. I left the last session on a cliffhanger where the giants are outside the walls of the city.

I'm not really sure how to proceed with the combat for this section. I like them controlling NPCs, that's pretty cool. But the book makes it sound like I'm supposed to initiate combat and then have the giants attack the gate for 2-3 rounds. What are my players supposed to do during that period?

Basically I don't get how I'm supposed to engage the combat.
>>
File: 2mTxc6B.jpg (5KB, 142x142px) Image search: [Google]
2mTxc6B.jpg
5KB, 142x142px
>>51498943
I don't want to go to the Elemantal Plane of Nigga Fire
>>
>>51498968
it's said the elemental plane of nigga fire is filled with the vengeful spirits of those africans who get set on fire for various reasons.
>>
>>51498949
>Kossuth is so ballin' there's not even another true Fire deity except for Surtr
>the only other non-racial deity that even has it as a domain is Talos
>>
Very quick question, how do I export characters as .orcpub files on the resource Orcpub? I can only seem to export them as pdfs but I need to be able to import them too.
>>
File: NBA-Jam.png (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
NBA-Jam.png
18KB, 320x240px
>>51498996
Idiot, native Africans aren't niggas.
The Plane of Nigga Fire is inhabited solely by black b-ballers, and it's suicide to go there unless you have Protection from Dunks.
>>
>>51498943
bitch you ever watch Avatar the last airbender? Lightning is like Fire 2.0 way better.

>>51498949
>actually playing in WOTC settings
now whose the fag?
>>
>kenku
>can't come up with new ideas
>can't string together words into sentences
>can't formulate an original plan, or alter an existing one
>"have a tendency to seek out a companion to emulate and follow"
>a player race whose fluff forbids them to act autonomously
But why?
>>
>>51499054
i think they got crows and parrots mixed up.
>>
>>51499054
>sticking to fluff exactly as written
Be the Kenku that's trying to learn how to be a normal person.
>>
>>51499047
by that logic so is magma.
>>
>>51499067
Crows actually can mimic sounds and people though
>>
>>51499094
huh.
>>
>>51499054
>ignore all that shit
>play a sweet bird dude who talks like The Machine
>solve problems like a crow
Kenku literally invented manticores and all the dragons you never see because they're under the ocean.
>>
>>51498332
I'd like to put something else between them tiddies if you catch my drift
>>
>>51499090
Yea, magma is fucking cool. Way cooler than basic Fire. It is liquid rocks.

I mean, a volcano is way cooler than a forest fire or something.

Fire in 5e is kinda cool when you have things like Scorching Ray, which is a literal fucking lazer beam.
>>
how hard is it to run a setting in neverwinter? I mean, part of the campaign.

Just finished LMoP, the players obviously are going to want to go to neverwinter. How hard is it to RP it?
>>
>>51498645
Any thoughts?
>>
>>51499047
>Avatar the last airbender
Speaking of which I was trying to think of a mechanic to simulate what Iroh and Zuko could do with lightning, redirecting it somewhere else. Constitution check, maybe?
>>
>>51499234
I could see that working. Maybe with a feat, though not necessarily. Constitution check against the spell save DC.

It could also be Dexterity, since you are catching it with your fingers and all, but Dexterity does enough, I think.
>>
>>51499177
I'd look up some existing city adventures. I know that there was a 4e supplement that was specific to Neverwinter. That might be a good place to start.

As for how to run city adventures/campaigns, basically you'll need to realize that players will often have access to any resources they want, which even includes reporting the problem to the local town guard. Factions are a good thing to play up. Players need to feel like they can take sides or play factions against each other for personal benefit.
>>
DM or GM?
>>
>>51499177
I would assume as hard as any large city is to RP.

What i would do is randomly generate as many shops and taverns and other points of interest that are on that level of importance, like churches.
Then randomly generate a list of NPCs, like 20 or so, and then whenever they go to said point of interest, roll on the chart and they encounter that random NPC in the shop or w/e ontop of Shopkeepers, Temple Priest, Tavern Owner.
Obviously for the taverns you might want to have a list of "regulars" who are basically always there when the players visit.

I would also just generate a list of random Guards. Players want to feel like the world is real, all you gotta do is describe an appearance and give them a name, no need to give them unique flair, they are guards not adventurers. But the thing with this is that Guards will be around, guarding the doors to important things and players will talk to them over other NPCs, because they assume they have info. Kind of like how people will ask Retail Employees questions about a product over asking another customer, there is an assumption that there is a knowledge base there. Atleast in this instance, the guard probably would actually have been trained to know about this stuff.

When they get to the city, ask them "what do you wanna do?". Don't give them a list of places they can go, it is a huge city with lots of shit going on,

>>51499189
Never played in that setting, but the word Primeval always peaks my interest. I'll google it and maybe give an opinion.

>>51499234
Yea con save, uses reaction. Kind of like Absorb Elements, but ranged and instantly fires back instead of holding it in.
>>51499270
I wouldn't use a whole feat for it, considering you can use a feat to get 2 cantrips and Absorb Elements and it basically does the same thing, plus 2 cantrips. It could just be a first level spell. Reflect Elements.
>>
My dm is letting me start with an uncommon magic item.
Should I take bracers of archery, +1 bow, quiver of ehlonna, or a +1 arrow
>>
>>51499334
I mean, if it WAS a feat, it'd have to have other benefits.
>>
>>51498968
Only those whose B-ball skills are up to the task can enter.
>>
>>51499103
Crows also don't forget faces and have been found to hold grudges. Their memory is actually pretty great.
>>
>>51499329
if we're in a dungeon, dm. all other times, gm.
>>
>>51499388
maybe some kind of kenku rogue as a master criminal, posing as an innocent retarded bird man, is in order here.
>>
>>51499270
It'd be cooler if it were a feat, but honestly I was going to slap it on a Plate of Lightning Resistance, which would probably be used by the 8 Dex 20 Cha Paladin with Shield Master.

I think I'll make it something like "If you fail a Dexterity saving throw against lightning, you can use your reaction to make a Constitution check and attempt to redirect the energy out of your body. On a failure, this instance of damage ignores your resistance. On a success, you take no damage and you can target another creature or object within 30(?) feet."
>>
>>51499357
>or a +1 arrow
lel
>>
>>51499366
Yea, i'd throw in the thing from Shield Master where you can add another bonus to certain saves against spells atleast.

It would have to be unlimited uses per long rest if it was limited to Lightning Damage.

Something like this:

Static Field
-You can add your proficiency bonus ontop of any save from a spell that causes Lightning or Thunder Damage
-If you are hit by an effect that would cause lightning damage, you can make a Consition saving throw to redirect the damage using your reaction. You as the player re-roll the damage upon redirecting the damage.
-If you would take half damage from an effect that causes lightning or thunder damage based on failing a saving throw, you instead take no damage.
-You have resistance to Lightning and Thunder damage.

Probably OP, but w/e, Feats should be cool.
>>
>>51498645
>I have an urge to play something of a cross between Conan and Warhammer Fantasy
If thats what you want to play, i would say that Primeval Thule is probably what you're looking for.

Though honestly, i think it is alot of fun making your own setting.

The name Primeval Thule is cool, but i was expecting magical cavemen and dinosaur dragons, so i probably wouldnt use it and just make my own setting with magical cavemen and dinosaur dragons.
>>
>>51499054
Yeahhhh just ignore the "incapable of" part and have them be bird people who are creepy and really good at mimicking others.
>>
File: 1465175218516.png (598KB, 600x878px) Image search: [Google]
1465175218516.png
598KB, 600x878px
>>51499413
>description of kenku is by an unreliable narrator
>they were all just pretending to be retarded the whole time
>>
I need help dealing with a player. He's one of my good friends but just so fucking retarded. Like wont decided if he should follow the rules to a T or follow them loosely so we get his assbaggery every session.

Short synopsis of his history.
>plays rogue/monk = fuckboy
>plays wizard = metagaming fuckboy
>plays eldritch knight = tanky fuckyboy
>plays wizard again = same fuckboy
I can go on but its the same pattern

He tries to make his characters the same people over and over again and he metagames hard as fuck but still ends up dying by not knowing the rules.

Example: Old man getting mauled by giant rats, plays straight rogue. Runs straight into the fight and only draws his two shortswords. He has the dual weapon fighting feat.

I really don't know what to do with the fuck wit. He's going home for a month so we're free of him for now but I need a viable solution to deal with him.
>>
>>51499520
That's what im planning on doing, i'm just wondering if Primeval Thule is a good toolkit to make a setting like that, or is it too attached to it's own implied setting?
>>
>>51499828
>yfw you realize the aaeree were one of the five original creator races and their descendents, the aakocra and kenku (and tengu from them), were responsible for the creation of most of the biggest magical beasts and dragons when they used gene-splicing magic to breed creatures of war for use against the giants and batrachti
>kenku are ancient gene-wizards who invented dragons and only lost their wings because they pissed off a buncha demon lords
>>
Just took a look at Shadow Sorcerer.
>From 1st level, you have darkvision 60 ft. You can spend 1 sorcery point to cast Darkness.
>1st level
>spending sorcery points

Is there something I'm missing, or does this only matter starting at 2nd level?

Also, this is just permanent advantage as a class feature, isn't it?
>>
>>51500059
Unless there's something special about Shadow Sorcerer, having Darkvision (be it racial or from a spell) doesn't let you see in magical Darkness; only the Warlock's Witch Sight or whatever it's called does that. Shadow Monks are in a similar position; they can cast Darkness and Darkvision, but the latter doesn't do them any good in their own Darkness.
>>
>>51500059
It's a UA. I imagine that's the sort of thing that gets fixed in the final version.
>>
>>51500076
I did leave out something crucial, my mistake. When you spend a sorcery point to cast darkness in that way, you can see through. Unlike Devil's Sight, you can't see through other sources of magical darkness, but the point still stands.
>>
>>51500059
>Also, this is just permanent advantage as a class feature, isn't it?
It's 2/day at 2nd level assuming you don't use your sorcery points for anything else, what with them being the source of everything that makes the sorcerer stand out.
>>
>>51500059
Consider that no one else gets to see through it so you're fucking over the rest of the party for the benefit of a class that really doesn't make attack rolls all that often to begin with, outside of Searing Ray.
>>
>>51500269
Seems fine. Reminds me of PHB Wild Magic origin that (should) gets advantage on every attack roll without Sorcerer Point cost.
>>
File: jason-1.jpg (111KB, 1200x777px) Image search: [Google]
jason-1.jpg
111KB, 1200x777px
>Playing a Berserker 5//Scout 5 (Rogue)

I'm thinking of sticking with rogue until I get evasion . But after that, should I go 2 more levels in Barbarian or just stick with rogue.

>pic related
thats essentially my char
>>
> DMing for PCs whos only motivation is power
> players fight their way through the hordes of an evil deity
> they approach his throne
> instead of starting a fight, the LE dark lord names the PCs his champions, and offers them power if they will continue to kill in his name

Well they might say no, but what power could he give them if they said yes? I think as LE he has to give them something.
>>
>>51500826
Powerful magic items. Preferably designed to fizzle out if used against him. Like a magic sword with a great bonus but which shatters the instant it touches his armor.
>>
>>51499952
I don't see anything wrong with playing the same character on several campaign.
>>
>Common
>Uncommon
>Rare
>Very Rare
>Legendary
>Artifact
I understand how few the later two should be, only one/few in existence, but I don't know just how common the first two should be. Should every major town be selling bags of holding and potions of healing could be sold from carts or am I being too liberal. I want a lot more heroic, high fantasy so I think they should come up often but i'm not sure, especially since they don't come up in loot roll tables.
>>
>>51500943
Sure, definitely. If that's the vibe for which you're going.
>>
What do you think of this item I'm gonna have among the treasure of an infamous thief?

Tacticool Rod:
The Tacticool Rod is magical device designed with thieves in mind. Thus, a thief may use their fast hands to activate any part of this magical item. Only four were ever made, and they are a highly prized among thieves. If you have one, hold it tight.
The Tacticool Rod has three main functions: Immovable rod, grappling hook, acts as an improvised club in a pinch, and sports a magical toothpick holder.
Immovable rod: functions in the same manner as an immovable rod.
Grappling hook:
Extend – As an action point the rod at an object you can see within 100 ft that weighs no less than 50 lbs. The end of the rod will extend a long chord in that direction, and upon contacting it, that end of the chord becomes an anchor. The anchor is immovable until retracted as an action. Additionally, the cord will always remain taught but will not extend beyond 100 ft. IMPORTANT: The cord can be broken if attacked. A DC 25 strength check or a spell such as disintegrate will destroy this cord. If the cord is broken the immovable rod and grappling hook functionality will no longer operate as the magic of the item will dissipate.
Retract – As an action you recall the extended cord back into the Tacticool Rod. You may either detach the anchor, or cause the rod to pull you towards the anchor. Regardless of which option you choose, the anchor will ultimately detach either before recalling itself back into the rod, or after you pull yourself to the point where it was attached.
Improvised Club – Treat the rod as a club for the purposes of making a melee attack.
Toothpick Holder – This toothpick holder is found at the bottom of the rod and seemingly supplies an endless number of toothpicks. However, pulling out more than one toothpick will cause the previous one to crumble into dust. Incredibly convenient for when you want to make sure your teeth are clear of debris.
>>
>>51500943
literally read the next section in DMG?

> Unless you decide your campaign works otherwise, most magic items are so rare that they aren't available for purchase. Common items, such as a potion of healing, can be procured from an alchemist, herbalist,
or spellcaster. Doing so is rarely as simple as walking into a shop and selecting an item from a shelf. The seller might ask for a service, rather than coin.

Potion of Healing is available but not on carts (don't forget that it take a like a week to make one vial of potion).
>>
>>51500969
I ran out of room for the post but was going to add the caveat that the grappling hook will not be able to extend or retract if the rod (larger portion) is currently immovable.
>>
>>51501018
>week to make one vial of potion
Now thats a start
An artisan's work, specially made for a few individuals. Uncommon and rare makers can only stay afloat in big ass cities or apart of large trade groups while common items can always find use in the bigger towns since medicine is always good.
>>
> Tomelock with phantom steed
> I am now a moving turret that shoot at 600ft, push enemy back 20ft and move at 120ft speed

This is more fun than I expect.
>>
>>51501018
Not that guy but everyone home brew game I've ever played has had some sort of magic item store.

How often do you have them in your games? I know as per DMG they're supposed to be really hard to buy or come across.
>>
>>51501113
MC into sorcerer for shield and quickening spells.
You will be a rapid firing tank.
>>
>>51501117
My home brew has potions and some scrolls for sale, but non-consumable magic items are RARE.
>>
>>51501117
Purchasable magic item break 5e.

They intentionally leave magic item as "DM give out whatever they see fit" kind of deal because of 3.5 magic item shenanigan, where everyone is min-maxing their stat via magic item.
>>
>>51501117
I find it rather tacky to have that. You may get lucky with a wandering merchant that might have a magic item.
>>
>>51501183
>>51501187
Oh by that I mean players normally can expect to come across places that will have magic items for sale.
They never get to choose what exists there and min-max based on what they want.
It's also pretty common that if they decide not to buy the item, it won't be there upon returning.
>>
>>51501238
>Oh by that I mean players normally can expect to come across places that will have magic items for sale.

Even that is too much. They might get lucky for me.

If they go see the witch, which is a point of interest in the world, they can bargain for something like potions or a magical service, at a hefty or strange price.

Temples also have the ability of NPC magic, but they require hefty donations to the temple or even tasks to be done in exchange.
>>
>>51495723
Sit around a table and roll one person at a time, while everybody watches.

Literally how we have always done it. Makes sure people are nor cheating, and it is fun. We do it during our session 0 where we are discussing the adventures theme and background.
>>
>>51501611
>>51501611
>>51501611
>>
File: arc1348_art.jpg (79KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
arc1348_art.jpg
79KB, 620x450px
I'm going to run a 5th edition game set in the magic the gathering universe, with all the PCs having 1/day planeswalk, making them planewalkers.

Anyone have fun sets of an item, a plane and a plothook to lead PCs on adventures from one plane to the next? Anyone done a planes-hopping adventure before?
Thread posts: 376
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.