[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do we get the flavour of Rangers knowing a little magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0826.jpg (93KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0826.jpg
93KB, 736x736px
Where do we get the flavour of Rangers knowing a little magic from?

Obviously it makes sense for the hardy, independent bushmen that make up the Ranger class to be able to draw on a limited pool of spells for utility and self sufficiency, that in an of itself is flavourful, but does that facet of the Ranger trope have any origins in /tg/ media?

Also help me with my fluffy Skyrim ranger build I'm wanting to play to type very closely and was wondering what spells I could throw in, outside of the obvious mageflesh and muffle/invisibility, I have Apocalypse Magic installed so if you're familiar with that spell library I'm only just getting to use it so flavourful recommendations from it would be great.
>>
Giving rangers spells always struck me as fairly retarded. Giving them herb-lore is a far better alternative.
>>
In premodernity, there wasn't such a divide between 'mundane' and 'magical'.

Blacksmiths were magical.
The scientific method as we know today didn't exist, so everything was subject to a multitude of superstitions. The way humans understood nature was through the means of magic. The two are intertwined. Thus, being a master of nature was correlative with the supernatural.
>>
I bet it has something to do with Aragorn.
>>
File: 1470072934098.jpg (55KB, 657x539px) Image search: [Google]
1470072934098.jpg
55KB, 657x539px
>>51464347
He was the basis for it, or at least his people of Anor, the Kingdom of the North. The ragged bands of Rangers, who would wander the wild, curtailing the influence of Sauron.

They were not featured heavily in the books, but in the greater lore, after their kingdom fell, there were a powerful, albeit scattered and small force.
>>
>>51464254
I can imagine that in D&D and similar games it's better balanced to give them magic or spell-like abilities than just "more non-combat skill points" for things.

cause anyone who can role-play really good can take non-combat skills and bend the game over a table with them in the same way that a min-maxer does with combat shit...
>>
>>51464347
this.

it's generally presumed that, taking after their patron, Rangers deal with a wide variety of races and being the woodcrafty types they are more than likely picked up a thing or two from Elves.
>>
>>51464254
From wilderness being semi-"magical" places, and the fact that the survival skills rangers learn include old-fashioned bushcraft alongside ancient mystical secrets that they learned from elves and shit. Kinda like how in corny westerns the indians have supernatural tracking ability because of some magical connection with the land or somefuck.

Really, rangers as a separate class only exist because of all the Aragorn clones that mainstream fantasy always have to include, they should just be a type of fighter/rogue built towards their role, but I'm biased because I've played with too many ranger players.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.