[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any medieval post-apocalypse fantasy settings? Something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 385940287.jpg (56KB, 600x369px) Image search: [Google]
385940287.jpg
56KB, 600x369px
Are there any medieval post-apocalypse fantasy settings? Something like the Prince Of Thorns trilogy or the Shannara Chronicles.
>>
>>51448155
Earthdawn
Dark Sun (once you read the deepest lore and discover that the setting is post-post-apocalypse.)
>>
Scarred Lands?
>>
>>51448155

Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Mystara. It was a common theme in early D&D.
>>
>>51448155
Degenesis, if you squint your eyes and tilt your head.

It could be neo-medieval, civilization rebuilding with the leftovers from what was.
>>
>>51448155
Do you mean like, a medieval society wet through an apocalypse?
Because that's kind of unrealistic, even with magic.
Or do you mean like, a modern apocalypse, and the survivors were medieval?
Cause that's unlikely too, as it's most likely survivors would be trying to rebuild, rather than playing renaissance fair.
>>
>>51448155

ASOIAF.
>>
>>51450685
>Do you mean like, a medieval society wet through an apocalypse?
>Because that's kind of unrealistic, even with magic.

What are you on about?
>>
>>51448155
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>51450685
honestly i'd rather play ren fair than rebuild what we have
>>
>>51450981
What kind of society OP means went through an apocalypse, that led to the post apocalyptic medieval nonsense.
>>
>>51450966
go to bed PJ
>>
>>51450995
>hey guise, can we fight with swords
>no *shoots you with gun*
>>
>>51450998

That made even less sense.
>>
>>51451030
Ok, so you you know how apocalypses cause the end of society?
OP is talking about the society after an apocalypse.
I'm talking about the society before an apocalypse, the society that collapsed, and how that would affect OP's after-the-apocalypse society.
>>
>>51451054

No, my question is why do you think a medieval society having an apocalypse is unrealistic ("even with magic", which makes no sense since magic is inherently unrealistic)?
>>
>>51451085
Because, the only way to do it would be with magic, since, y'know, what else are you gonna do?
Arrow everything to death?
Plagues are only so effective, especially with people as spread out as they are in a medieval setting.
Meaning the only possible thing would be magic.
And even that's pretty damn near unlikely, since most settings don't have magic that powerful, and if there was, it'd have to be pretty OP.
>>
>>51448155
Wheel of Time kinda counts, with both the Breaking of the World, and depending on how you stretch it the Trolloc Wars
>>
>>51450685
Did you even see OP's picture?
People are jumping on you because your other questions were pretty stupid, too - societal collapse can happen at any stage of development.
>>
>>51448155
Literally adventure time. Look at the mushroom war.
>>
>>51451150
A different species popped up, yeah it's gonna be different.
But humans would still be the same after an apocalypse, barring anything too shonky.

Nah, not really, atleast not apocalypse scale.
>>
>>51450685
>what is the bronze age collapse
>>
>>51451133
Wheel of Time's Second Age (before the Breaking) is set after the First Age, our time, ended in a game of global thermonuclear war. Merk and Mosk and lances of fire. It's the little details.
>>
>>51451195
>regional collapses
>apocalyptic
So I guess we had an apocalypse December 25, 1991, what with the Soviet Union dissolving.
>>
>>51451234
According to the almighty Putin, yes
>>
File: wellfug.jpg (29KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
wellfug.jpg
29KB, 500x279px
>>51451259
>>
>>51450685
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Maya_collapse
>>
>>51451292
see
>>51451234
>>
>>51451234
If you want to be pedantic about it, there are no post apocalypses because everyone's dead. We all use the word wrong.
>>
>>51450685

>Kind of unrealistic

What is the Western Roman Empire Larry for 300 points?
>>
>>51451129

>Because, the only way to do it would be with magic, since, y'know, what else are you gonna do?

Volcanic eruptions almost killed off all of humanity in the Stone Age.
The sudden rise and fall of huge algal blooms has created massive ice ages.
Meteors can wipe out almost all life.
Plagues spread by animals like birds and rats override the issue of population density.
A massive solar flare can cook the Earth suddenly.
The magnetic field could weaken or disappear and result in our atmosphere burning off.
A massive swarm of insects could kill off plant-life and result in both food scarcity and oxygen decline.

Basically, your lack of both imagination and historical environmental disasters is letting you down.
>>
>>51451228
neat, I guess. hadn't even thought about that but certainly caught hints of past technology lost
regardless, though, like anon says, apocalypse/recovery is a fairly constant overall theme
>>
>>51451308
don't bother, they're a shithead
>how magical apocalypse? is impossible
>apocalypse is biblical end times with demons
>>
File: 1481068514310.jpg (28KB, 486x309px) Image search: [Google]
1481068514310.jpg
28KB, 486x309px
>>51448155
>Shannara Chronicles
>good
>>
>>51451302
well calling a region's collapse an "apocalypse" is a little bit of exaggeration, no?
>>51451308
see
>>51451234

>>51451319
well, you see you're the smartest person so far, most have just pointed at one region's collapse and gone "apocalypse".
Though one minor issue is that most natural disasters either wouldn't be enough to be "apocalyptic", or would wipe everyone the fuck out.

>>51451345
>biblical
>not so overpowered as to be stupid
>allowing for humanity to rebuild
>let alone rebuild into late medieval capabilities.
>>
>>51451413
>dem goalposts
>god op pls nrf
>>
>>51451413

>Though one minor issue is that most natural disasters either wouldn't be enough to be "apocalyptic", or would wipe everyone the fuck out

Right, you need to give us your definition of an apocalypse. I've just given you multiple that have occurred in Earth's own history and were labeled as "extinction events" (a pretty good match for an apocalypse), where life hasn't been completely wiped out, but you insist they don't count.

So what's an apocalypse to you?
>>
>>51451478
All of the world's civilization collapsing.
Why?
I dunno.
But something that could affect the entire world is also likely to, like I said, wipe everyone the fuck out.
>>51451470
>god
>all-powerful, all-knowing, always present
>not OP
>not impossible to combat
>>
>>51451385
>reading comprehension
>>
>>51451129
Economic collapse, such as the Mayan collapse, the Bronze Age collapse, and the Trumpocalypse.
>>
>>51451584
Original, but still unlikely.
How could an economic collapse affect the entire world?
Maybe it could cause a large region to collapse, but still not enough to be "apocalyptic".
>>
>>51451520

>All of the world's civilization collapsing.

Well I gave you a list of possibilities. Environmental disasters have massive effects world wide.

>But something that could affect the entire world is also likely to, like I said, wipe everyone the fuck out.

No, you're adding your own requirements there to try to prop up your initial claim. As has already been explained, there are many events which can have a massively detrimental affect worldwide, but they do not necessarily result in everyone being wiped out.
>>
>>51451595
Because the entire world is extremely integrated. If China, the US, or the EU ever shit the bed we're looking at another Great Depression. Now imagine a solar flare wipes out all of Eurasia's electronics, or another Krakatoa goes off and half the world's pop starves.
>>
>>51451595
Both America and China's economies collapse at the same time for some reason.

Domino effect fucks everyone.
>>
>>51451622
Alright, tell me something that could wipe most people out, but not everyone, while also collapsing all society.
>>51451635
Nigga we're talking about medieval apocalypses.
>>51451636
See the above.
>>
>>51451666

Already did here >>51451319
>>
>>51451666
Mongols wiped out Central Asia to the point that the population only recovered in the XX century. Just make your setting have Hyper Mongols.
>>
>>51451520
>possible to combat
>apocalypse

get it together
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.