[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Latest News > New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 59

File: image.jpg (436KB, 2260x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
436KB, 2260x626px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread >>51421222

What do you think the new Sorcerous Origins will be on Monday?
>>
First for KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyF1G_gPg

Artificer pet replacement, it's a subtype / thinking of giving a player that at 6
>>
>>51428124
At first glance it seems to look how I'd hope it would, if you mean the archetype.

I haven't checked it for anything abusable, but to be honest most of my complaints are just if somebody tried to publish this as an official UA. As long as the player's aware that the DM can revoke anything that appears stupidly overpowered, let'em have it, and you can give them a gun if you don't give them all of the gunsmith features, so it can just be an improved ranged weapon that doesn't have scaling damage or extra attacks or anything.
>>
>>51428116
> Can't even post a general properly
If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
>>
Why don't you limit your settings to only feature Humans as PC races?

Nobody needs Gnomes and Dragonborn and Elves.
>>
I play on Roll20, is there a good place I can go for village maps and the like? I hate making my own since they're always just shitty boxes.
>>
>>51428193
Hey, last OP asked someone to make a new thread.
I just Copypasted the last OP
>>
>>51428199
I do that every time my players all end up picking human. Which is often.
>>
>>51428199
t. Zarus
>>
File: IMG_0356.png (152KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.png
152KB, 500x381px
Thinking about allowing bladelocks to take a fighting style at level one to keep them more competitive

Thoughts?
>>
>>51428253
Half the fun of the concept of a bladelock is that you can switch up your weapons as the situation requires.
>>
>>51428261
>>51428253
Give them a choice of fighting style when they summon the weapon. There, adapting as the situation requires.
>>
>>51428261
That's true

>>51428277
That just sounds OP though
>>
>>51428253
>>51428277
Well, it's something. It's not interesting, but it's better than the nothing of before.

>>51428301
Totally unfair to Rangers and Paladins, right?
>>
>>51428116
Hopefully some more element-based bloodlines.
>>
>>51428174
Re-posting.

That pet thing is game breaking.

It's also represent everything that is wrong with 3.pf and the thing that 5e trying to move away from. Like cluttering of complex rule, mental note taxing of both player and DM. companion action economy issue (a second character under a player control that is as strong as PC is not in 5e for a reason. It's also the same reason why UA Ranger's pet lost multiattack).
>>
>>51428116
More sorcerous origins that aren't bloodlines. At least acknowledge the option, since people constantly push blood this blood that.
>>
>>51428174
tell your player to go back to their fox waifu in /pfg/. His autism isn't welcome in 5e.
>>
What's better on a character that shouldn't ever be in melee: mirror image, misty step, or dimension door?
>>
>>51428253
What defines a 'bladelock'?
Someone who says they'll be a bladelock?
Someone who takes the pact?
Someone who fights in melee instead of EB?
Someone who doesn't take EB?
>>
>>51428316
Yeah, among other things like being impossible to balance properly

>>51428385
Someone who takes pact of the blade, fights in melee but doesn't have EB
>>
Instead of forcing fighter or warlock into weird melee/magic mashup subtypes, why isn't there just a Warmage type class?

If Ranger, whose class idea is "fighter but woodsy", has justification to exist, so does Warmage.
>>
>>51428253
Shouldn't they get the fighting style at the level they actually take the pact?
>>
File: image.jpg (964KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
964KB, 1500x1500px
>>51428385
Pact of the Blade you diddler
>>
>>51428428
There's already like ten different ways to make that character, it doesn't really seem necessary.
>>
>>51428353
>>51428174
The pet is supposed to be a mount, and is so hard to work with its insane.
It isn't supposed to be a battle bot, it's supposed to be a wing-pack or a carrying unit.
>>
>>51428428
Because they're saving that to release later. We all know it'll happen with archetypes to be more like wizard, warlock, and maybe cleric.
>>
>>51428380
All of them plus blink.
>>
>>51428466
Cleric already has paladin.
Wizard has Eldritch Knight AND Bladesinger.
The only caster that doesn't have an official "Gish option" is Sorcerer.
>>
>>51428428
Pathfinder fan are the worst. Class bloat us
>>
>>51428430
That's what I meant. I just start my games at level 3 so it's from the beginning
>>
>>51428483
8 CHA 16 STR Favored Soul.
>>
>>51428483
I know, they're still going to do it because people are clamoring for it. Maybe the divine one will be more like a druid that a cleric but people would complain that there was no cleric based option.
>>
>>51428483
Favored soul is UA, but that's sorta gishy right?
>>
>>51428428
>Instead of forcing fighter or warlock into weird melee/magic mashup subtypes, why isn't there just a Warmage type class?

Because TRADITION! It wasn't in the other 1-3edition PHBs, so it's not in 5e.
>>
Why do people try to play Warlock as a melee option? Nothing that you do will be better than just spamming EB right? If you just want a fighter with access to cantrips why not just go Sorcerer1/Fighter 19?
>>
>>51428630
It's because pact of the blade and its invocations exist only to trick you.
>>
>>51428653
To be fair, they do sound pretty great, and they probably would be if you got them earlier.
>>
>>51428428

The 5e PHB should have also included...

1) A divine skill user/assassin type class
2) A warlord type martial class
3) A straight up fighter/mage
4) An alchemist/crafter class

Would have covered all the bases.
>>
>>51428630
Greatsword does the most damage from level 1 to 10. You just gotta get heavy armor so you don't need so much Dex. That's why people start as a fighter or paladin, but you could also start with moderately armored (v. Human or Dwarf) and take Heavily Armored at 4 for AC while keeping high Str for fighting.
>>
I've got a character that trivializes huge chunks of story

The character is well written and normally balanced. Really good story, RPs well

Yuan ti scholar fey warlock
Eyes of the rune keeper
Eldritch sight
Devil sight
Observant
Keen minded

This guy trivializes everything not combat/parley related, he's smart irl and figures out puzzles easily, which lets him make use of keen minded ...
>>
File: Dune Mimic.jpg (69KB, 453x537px) Image search: [Google]
Dune Mimic.jpg
69KB, 453x537px
How this ability works? I doesn't have a save?

PS: Dune Mimic from Tome of Beasts
>>
>>51429037
PS2: The Engulf ability.
>>
>>51429037
Right. It's like the swallow ability some big creatures have.
>>
>>51429105
OP as fuck.
>>
>>51428664
>It'd be nice if it gave extra attack before martials get extra attack?
I Don't Think That's What You Meant.
>It'd be nice if it got Improved Divine Smite before paladins get improved divine smite.
What, like an Oathbreaker?

It would be nice if it did anything more interesting than "you have a weapon", like paladins.

>>51428653
It might also exist to appear to support low cha warlock builds and then backstab you with Lifedrinker at level 12.
>>
What options would I have if I in general love the Paladin class, but absolutely HATE the 5e rendition of Smite?
I much, MUCH prefer how it was handled in Pathfinder.
>>
>>51429037
I had my party fight one. They were level 10, and didn't have a ton of trouble.

That thing'll eat casters alive no problem if it grabs them but high AC martial classes don't have much trouble with it.
>>
>>51429130
>>51429037
The mimic must first attack as an action.
Then, you are grappled if you're hit.
Players can attempt to free themself from the grapple.
The next turn, the mimic can engulf creatures. An engulfed creature can still attack the mimic from the inside, though questionably it looks like the mimic might be able to attack things it has engulfed.

It takes two turns to engulf somebody, so it's not insanely powerful.
>>
>>51429225
Porting over the attack/ac bonus from the pathfinder paladin wouldn't work with 5e's bounded accuracy. There's a spell called hunter's mark that rangers and vengeance paladin's get that is sorta similar flavor-wise/mechanically.
>>
>>51429130
Oh, unlike swallow, it doesn't deal damage on the turn it engulfs. This is probably fair for not having to roll dice to engulf.
>>
>>51428174
>Almost 5 pages for a single subclass
>Homebrew

Hmmm I wonder if it's going to be op or not
>>
>>51429192
Nah, I wasn't talking about extra attack, I was talking about the other Life drinker, something like being able to use Shillelagh for your pact weapon you know? I think that would be nice.
>>
>>51429387
Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>51429290
That definitely doesn't feel like Smite though.
>>
>>51429225
Smite is fucking brilliant for how you can burst with it, how you can wait until you crit to use it more conservatively and how it'll never go to waste.
That said, I don't know pathfinder's version.
>>
>>51429422
Some of the channel divinity options are more similar to pathfinder smite, but those are only one use/short or long rest.
>>
What is more OP, Oathbreaker, Oath of Conquest, or Oath of Treachery?
>>
>>51429523
At levels 7 to 19, oathbreaker.
At levels 3 to 6 and 20, treachery.
>>
>>51428116
>What do you think the new Sorcerous Origins will be on Monday?
Fey Sorcerer
Genie Sorcerer
Battlemaster Sorcerer
>>
>>51428253
why don't you just fucking give them their extra attack and bonus damage for free instead of the invocation tax and call it a day
>>
A couple days ago we started the new campaign but one of the players was missing. His char is a bard and apparently he's practically the anchor of the group.

We played but we had a very low energy game imo. No clever cutting words, no vicious mockeries, I tried to stay true to the character if the group RPed but had to keep that character to the back. Gave the bard to the group during fights so they could track of slots and inspirations.

I also made the mistake of letting them take a long rest, while I most definitely shouldn't have.

I'm thinking of retconning that day and doing a fresh start to the campaign. I think we lost some of the magic of the first chapter that I prepared which was supposed to be very clutch and high energy beginning.

Is there a good way about doing this? Should I just let it slide? I think with a bit of adjustment and a more focused game table/environment, we could have a blast playing.
>>
>>51429615
How is battlemaster a sorcerous origin?
>>
>>51428253
Push it back to 3 for when they pick their pact
>>
>>51429658
1) nothing breaks if you give Sorcerers the Battlemaster archetype
2) I was referring to a Sorcerer archetype that has maneuver-styled shit that keys off a limited resource
3) it's a meme
>>
File: 1447813202827.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447813202827.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>Group gets quest to deal with orc tribe
>banditry, enslaves and makes human sacrifices to an evil god
>Lawful good: The solution to this problem is salting the earth. Let's pick up some torches, rope, pikes and manacles. We'll capture the ones that surrender and make an example of the rest.
>4 players triggered because nooses
>"orcs are basically black people they dindunuffin, racist murder hobo!"
>explain to them that's how you deal with vile bandits, you leave them at the side of the road to deter other bandits
>"Racist."
>4 others talk their way into the stronghold by pretending to be sexy bandits with free shit
>stuff the gnome into bag of holding
>offer another PC as a sacrifice
>tries assassinating a drunk half-orge leader as a level 2 sorcerer while pretending to be a female orc, does 3 damage
>drunk half-orge leader likes it and gives him a prolapse rectum
>The quest said to SLAY, not LAY the orcs
>"What was the plan?"
>"lol that was the plan"
>they eventually pull out and regroup, DM was being nice and didn't slaughter them
>lawful good gather the bones of their victims to show the city guard and put them in the gnome's bag of holding
>lawful good tries to get the guard captain to loan us horses and a militia to deal with this large bandit stronghold
>bleedingfarts start freaking out and don't want to "genocide" the "innocent" tribe, refuse to hand the bag of human bones over
>they run over to sign a retarded peace treaty and tell the tribe that they were about to be raided by the humies
>Me and another based player gather a small millia of commoners and get the fucking MARILITH bartender to help
>march over to the stronghold, galently
>Bleedingfarts: We made a deal! Stop!
>Lawful Good: Ah yes, their terms of surrender.
>Bleedingfarts:We signed a peace treaty! They promise they won't be evil anymore!
>Lawful Good: We want justice and reprisal for what these savages have done.

part 1/2
>>
>>51429491
That's the thing, it's a gimmicky one trick pony that turns you into a more nova fighter, since you're using all of your spell slots for it.

Pathfinder;
>Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the paladin gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.

The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the paladin rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: Paladin, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.

Pathfinder one feels more like an actual resource instead of pseudo-spells.

>>51429518
Aye, but it's just.. disappointing really.
I love Paladin, but I cannot even look at it in 5e because I hate how Smite is handled.
>>
>>51429813
Paladin was probably my favorite part of Pathfnder, but I like 5e's paladin too if only because it's now one of the best classes in the game. Brings a tear to my eye as someone who suffered with the 3rd edition paladin.
>>
File: 1417747082986.png (207KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
1417747082986.png
207KB, 600x453px
>>51429776
>only a level 3 fighter
>"Can I use a mount and lance?"
>"Uh, sure"
>use mount and lance while half-orge doesn't have reach or a ranged weapon
>can't touch me and he ends up rolling a bunch of ones
>perfect him with a couple of crits and earn enough EXP to hit level 4
>entire orc tribe is panicking now
>get threatened by 4/6 of the party with PvP and keep getting called names
>I behead the slain half-orc and parade his head on the end of my lance
>the mirlith starts slaughtering the armed orcs
>the dozen or so millita set fire to the huts
>Bleedingfarts: S-stop!
>Lawful good: WE DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH BANDITS, NOR DO WE HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO
>Bleedingfarts: You're gonna start a racewar! They'll go to the nearby orc city and tell them what you've done
>capture and casterate the unarmed orcs for aiding and sheltering fugitives and obstruction of justice, normal practice in the middle ages
>Lawful Good: Hm, good point! We can't let any escape then.
>they start flipping out
>the bleedingfarts run to the orc city to try to get Lawful good in trouble because they think I'm gonna turn the orcs into soap
>turns out the bandit stronghold was in orc terrority
>law&order.mp3
>RPPVP time
>my 8 int and 8 cha knight isn't going to roll for shit, gotta do this hard way
>make aguruments and provide proof that they were bandits
>orc city considered them wild and didn't know they were practicing banditry
>eventually get the orcs to pay for the damages the bandits caused to the families of the lost ones because of overwhelming evidence
>they also pay the ransom for the captives we took in the raid
>get inspiration

We hugged at the end of the session.

Part 2/2
>>
>>51428116
What's the most fun I can have playing a non-caster who repeatedly spends their ASI's on Magic Initiate?
>>
>>51429865
Lovely
>>
>>51429896
I think technically that isn't legal, but whatever.
>>
For some reason Google just stays frozen when I search for this, so I'm going to ask here.
My Necromancer comes from a NOble Background and so they get a Scroll of Pedigree. What is it and how can I use it for roleplaying reasons?
>>
>>51430050
It's proof that you are of noble birth.
>>
Why is the minimum hit points for a CR 1/4 creature 36 according to the DMG? That really doesn't sound right.
>>
>>51429813
Eh, well, it's not bad as a sort of 'Challenger fighter' that chooses an opponent to fuck over.

You could have an ability like that in 5e, and certainly it might be more interesting than the current smite which is rather just a burstey fighter that can also conserve smites for crits for double crit damage, but...

I still kinda like the current paladin anyway. Aside from being simple, it's.. Less faff. You can do other things, paladins have a per short rest channel divinity which can do things like 'choose an enemy, you get advantage on attack rolls against them' or 'you empower your weapon for +CHA to hit chance'.

I feel they didn't want to put one specific ability in and would rather have several more general abilities in.
>>
File: charles-ii-of-spain_mainstory1.jpg (15KB, 468x326px) Image search: [Google]
charles-ii-of-spain_mainstory1.jpg
15KB, 468x326px
>>51430050
Pretty much a scroll that certifies you as a perfectly inbred mongoloid nobleman

Which has some benefits when dealing with similarily inbred mongoloid noblemen, such as audiences, mayhap favors, maybe even offers for further inbreeding
>>
>>51430050
>he doesn't know what a Scroll of Pedigree is

perhaps you should stick to playing cousin-fucking peasants, hm?
>>
>>51430113
>>51430131

Wait so which ones were inbreeding again now I'm confused
>>
Hey what do you guys think about this invocation:
Hexblade (pact of the blade only)
When you strike an enemy with an attack using your pact weapon you may cast hex on them without expending a spell slot. As long as you are holding your pact weapon you do not need to concentrate on hex.
>>
>>51429952
How so?
>>
>>51430168
When in Europe, do as Europeans do.
>>
>>51430172
Completely broken. Go back to the drawing board, kid. Better yet -- graduate high school first.
>>
>at bookstore
>$60 a book

Fuck

Also;

>LMoP (bought on roll20)
>players are not into it

Thinking of just starting out of the abyss, but each character is 4
>>
>>51430178
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/07/the-only-feat-that-you-can-take-more-than-once/
>>
>>51430168
They were all inbreeding, but when a nobleman (or an animal) does it it is called "pedigree"
>>
>>51430113
>>51430131
kek
>>
>>51430196
How is it broken? All it does is give hex damage to the blade
>>
>>51430199
>buys LMOP
>players are not into it
>wants to run a massive module like OOTA instead

lol good luck
>>
>>51428980
Tips pls

I'm gonna start having BBEG minions focusing him, but it may be railroading
>>
>>51430199
LMoP serves as a great base for a campaign. Try building on it with stuff that the players seem interested in, use the parts they like to branch off into a custom adventure.
>>
>>51430229

>warlocks only get two spell slots per short rest
>hex is so fuckin good people burn their limited slots on it

>but dude what if we just gave it to them for free with no concentration or spell slot useage at all?

How fucking braindead can you be
>>
>>51430349
Calm down guy, why are you so aggressive?

It's pact of the blade only, the pact that everyone complains about as being terrible complained to the others

Would it be better if it still used a spell slot?
>>
What sorts of creatures stay and lurk around a Manticore's nest? I'm assuming other predators like Worgs who are increasingly aggressive because of the lack of food. Crafty humanoids perhaps?
>>
>>51430172
I hate how everyone still fails to realize part of the reason pact of the blade is bad is it doesn't even fit in at all.

Why make a pact that's all about HAVE SOME COMBAT BUFF, YOU GET AC AND MORE ATTACKS AND HOW ABOUT THIS HEX AND MAYBE MORE DAMAGE when the other three pacts are all 'Okay, have some utility that might sometimes come into combat'

Pact of the blade should not be a pact option. Full stop. people need to stop rescuing it like it's a beggar and giving it their money will stop making it homeless.
>>
>>51430456
>wanting less options ever for any reason

You can fuck right off bud
>>
>>51430445
No predators because that's the manticore's niche. Scavengers like carrion crawlers oozes, otyughs, and cranium rats might lurk nearby to clean up its scraps.
>>
>>51430391

Maybe something like

>Hexed weapon
>requirements: blade pact, hex
>you have advantage on concentration checks when concentrating on the spell hex
>before making an attack with your pact weapon, as part of the attack action you may change the target of your hex to the creature you are attacking.

This would curb some of the downsides of hex, and really shine for keeping those 8 hour hexes working all day.
>>
File: shitposting.png (66KB, 358x245px) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.png
66KB, 358x245px
>>51430456
>Pact Boon: Pact of the Tool
>You can use your action to create a pact tool in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this tool takes each time you create it, taking the form of any tool or piece of adventuring gear that is worth 10 gp or less (see chapter 5 for tool options). You are proficient with it, if applicable, while you have it on hand.
>Your pact tools disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the tool (no action required), or if you die.

>Eldritch Invocation: Wealth of Tools
>Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Tool feature
>When you summon your pact tool, you can summon any tool or piece of adventuring gear worth 100 gp or less.
>>
>>51430445
Lots of bugs. Not big ones though, probably maggots on unfinished food, swarms of smaller flying insects.
>>
why the fuck do people make dice towers
>>
>>51430502
Good call. Thanks!

>>51430534
There'll be lots of small bugs, but maybe some challenging ones as well might work?
>>
>>51430541

It's to ensure no sleight of hand rolling, I believe.

Thanks for reminding me by the way, I kinda want one. Gonna go check on some now.
>>
>>51430088
Read the whole section on creating a monster. 36-49 HP relates merely to a part of Defensive CR. So sure, you could have a CR 1/4 with 36 HP, 13 AC, +3 to hit and 5 damage output per round, but usually you're gonna balance things out and give them less HP and more damage per round.

>>51428980
If you're being outsmarted by one of your players, I guess you should step up your game. Spend more time thinking up your puzzles/social situations, consider how you could add complications, and ask for help from other smart friends you might have. I mean, in this kind of stuff, the DM has one mind versus 4 of the players, so it's easy to be out-thinked.
>>
>>51430524
>Pact of the tool
>Take this pact when your patron completely believes you're an inept retard that won't get anything done right
>One ability, Eldritch Conquest
>On death, you explode, dealing 4d1000 damage to all creatures in a 50 mile radius.
>Nothing else.
>>
>>51428208
Google, Pinterest, Deviantart.

Or better yet: git gud
>>
>>51430490
>Wanting trap options
Just no

If you really want bladelock to be a thing, do not make it a pact option, make it something else

Find something actually pact appropriate to replace pact of the blade. You know, something that doesn't suck and all its invocations are 'combat buff!' and that actually works if you DON'T take invocations with it.

>>51430524
Still better than pact of the blade. Though, the main concern is often people could just hoard lots of little tools for themself. Though I guess proficiency with said tools sells it over just hoarding lots of tiny things.
>>
>>51430541

Because everyone has that one idiot who cant roll dice without them going off the table, so the DM makes people use a tower under the pretense of it keeping rolls fair.
>>
With the Dual Wielding feat, will you be able to dual-wield lances on horseback?
>>
>>51430551
really, any scavengers that can fly would likely be hanging around, the manticore not really having a way to get rid of them, or possibly just not caring because they only eat his leftovers and don't bother him.
>>
>>51430588
Yes.
>>
>>51430584
>not machining your tower such that a die dropped from the entrance of the slot on the far right side with one of its faces parallel with the first striking surface will land on said face 50% of the time and using that to crit your players non-stop
>>
>>51430507
I was going more for a "the weapon is the one doing the hexing" so the no concentration needed part is crucial, even if it becomes "you may concentrate on one more spell while this version of Hex is active"
Mechanically this would allow the bladelock to buff himself further
I do like the moving the hex as part of the attack action part though
>>
>>51430588
yes, but why.
>>
File: espurts.jpg (29KB, 422x378px) Image search: [Google]
espurts.jpg
29KB, 422x378px
>>51430588
You can also use Great Weapon Master.
>>
>>51430583
Nobody wants a trap option, and personally I feel blade is perfectly fine, but a weapon is pact appropriate, despite what your personal preferences might be
>>
>>51430629
>not wanting to poke bitches with your massive rod up to 5 times while being hard to hit
Although I would also consider taking the Mounted Combatant Feat as well if you are on horseback.
>>
>>51430607
Thanks.
In addition to this, can you use Quickened Spell metamagic with Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade? I wouldn't think so since part of the action has to be an attack, so you'd have to have multiattack if you want to be able to do so.
>>51430629
>>51430652
I'm not the one asking this, my player is.
>>
>>51430664
>In addition to this, can you use Quickened Spell metamagic with Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade?
Yes, you can.
>>
>>51430674
Huh, alright, then. Twinned Spell, too?
>>
>>51430664
There is a difference between making an attack roll, and using the Attack action. When you use the Attack action, you make one attack roll, or two if you have Extra Attack, etc. Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade use the Cast a Spell action, even though you make an attack roll as part of the spell. So an Eldritch Knight with Extra Attack can only cast BB or GFB once with their action, but a sorcerer can quicken spell and cast them with both action and bonus action.
>>
>>51430731
Booming Blade, yes. Green Flame Blade, debatable, but I'd say no.
>>
>>51428222
You forgot the title
>>
>>51430731
>>51430750
Booming Blade yes, GFB no.
>>
>>51430750
>>51430768
I'm thinking the opposite since Booming Blade needs to hit, so it can't be twinned, but GFB can be twinned since the fire jumps from one target to another.
>>
>>51430781
GFB can target two creatures, so it can't be twinned.

BB only targets one creature, so it can be twinned.

That's all that matters for twinned spell.
>>
>>51430661
It's pact appropriate to give a weapon that provides at most some combat utilities and some out of combat utilities.

The pact, as is, does fucking neither, leaning more towards pure combat utility with invocations.

Pact of the chain is a good pact. You get a flavourful helper that isn't required for any playstyle but supplements with utility for as far as you can think of utilities of an extra little helper.

Pact of the blade is a bad pact. You get proficiency with martial non-ranged weapons, essentially, you can hide weapons. That's about it, very limited utility and then the invocations only gives 'you hit things harder'.

The reason it shouldn't be a pact is because it should be something like a level 1 choice between EB and melee.
>>
Favorite combination of classes?
>>
>>51430830
Paladin/Warlock where the paladin's deity is a Great Old One without him knowing.
>>
>>51430830
Rogue/shadow monk.
>>
>>51430797
See, you are basing what a pact "should" give on your own subjective opinion. The game designers decided at least one pact "should" be purely for combat, and it's their game, so there it is

Was it the best implemebtation? Not really, but it fits thematically
>>
File: 1199247.jpg (98KB, 1417x1969px) Image search: [Google]
1199247.jpg
98KB, 1417x1969px
>>51430830
I have been enjoying my Paladin/Sorcerer a lot lately. Finally realized what kind of silly shit I can pull off. I probably should have started as a Paladin instead of Sorcerer, though. So I fucked that up, but my party has been helping carry me until this point where I can hold my own, finally.
>>
>>51430859
I'm currently playing a fallen aasimar paladin who fell because he realized he lives inside a roleplaying game
His god is Wizards of the Coast, and he'll be a GOOlock with powers granted by the player's handbook
>>
>>51430897
I read a really interesting guide on Paladin/Sorcerer, and have been using it to shape my Paladin/Warlock. Very high damage.
>>
>>51430866
So the designers decided that at least one pact "should" be shit?

So we should just make a shit option for every good option?

There's a reason behind my logic.

When you give players an option for a fighting style, you don't give them:
>+1 AC
>+2 damage
>1 skill proficiency
Because it discourages a good balance of fighting and not-fighting. You might get someone who goes all in on combat buffs but has a very boring character out of combat, or you might get someone who goes all for non-combat buffs and ends up with not being able to do much in fights.
Either way, there's a reason non-combat utility choices and combat utility choices are typically kept seperate.
>>
How do you feel about letting your players restat their character at level two for multiclassing reasons? Like going Sorcerer at first for rp reasons but then on level two letting them act as if they had always taken paladin first for mechanical reasons?
>>
File: 0m0.jpg (123KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0m0.jpg
123KB, 1024x1024px
>>51430947
That sounds like shit, anon.
>>
File: 1459689781967.png (605KB, 697x699px) Image search: [Google]
1459689781967.png
605KB, 697x699px
>>51430391
People get aggressive when confronted with idiocy. Get used to it - you will experience it often in your short, difficult life.
>>
>>51430967
How so?
>>
>>51430947
>>51430967
I like to start at level 3 either because that's when the archetypes usually start or if you want your character's identity to involve multiclassing then you can be on it from the start.
>>
>>51430925
Source? I could use it for the same reason.
>>
So my players are nearing the end of a two-year long campaign where everyone recently hit 17th or 18th level. Last night they had a pretty great fight with the main antagonist's death knight servant, and a lot of boiling animosity finally saw its resolution when they fought through his henchmen, unhorsed him, and disintegrated him after beating down his legendary resistances. By the end of the fight, his body was completely destroyed and they looted all his cool magical gear.

He's the part that has me thinking, though: my players want to cast True Resurrection in an attempt to get some use out of him before the final battle.

If I understand correctly, True Resurrection would return the death knight to life as he was before being resurrected. Would this include alignment? The history of this particular character was that he had been a fallen paladin struck down during a quest for atonement, and and as such had not succumbed to evil until events occurring after his death and resurrection. Would True Resurrection return him with the personality and morals prior to becoming a death knight along with his body, or would he just be a disempowered evil dude?
>>
>>51431013
Multiclassing is the first step in becoming a powergamer, anon.
>>
File: 0u0.jpg (155KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0u0.jpg
155KB, 1024x1024px
>>51431013
>Start level 1 Sorc with proficiencies and Skills already written down
>lmao I've always been a Paladin now and let me get All that Heavy Armor, Shield, and Weapon Proficiencies
You made your bed now lay in it. Work with what you got.
If my DM Didn't allow me to respec my terrible scores at level 3 because I was new at the game, why should you?
>>
>>51431095
Mutsuki stop impersonating Kenzaki
>>
File: 0w0.jpg (132KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0w0.jpg
132KB, 1024x1024px
>>51431128
Never.
>>
>>51430947
Yeah, sure, as long as it doesn't cause any major issues.

Though it'd be easier if they just took the levels in the right order in the first place. Also this >>51431053
>>
File: 32292_739529.jpg (74KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
32292_739529.jpg
74KB, 500x600px
An encounter I had spent a few weeks hyped up for ended pretty anticlimactically today, when one of my players realized something I'd neglected: the fact that the Orc warchief is the chosen champion of his god might give HIM legendary resistance, but that doesn't extend to the roc he likes to fly on.

Nothing makes your antagonist look like a chump quite like a tense narration of him coming over the mountains on a massive bird while the players are fleeing the rest of his warband across a bridge, only for the wizard to banish the roc he's mounted on to another plane of existence and send him plunging into the canyon bellow.

Live and learn, I suppose.
>>
Does Minor Conjuration create objects based on objective properties, or subjective ones? Or to put it another way, based on what the object is, or what the caster thinks it is?
>>
>>51430583
What if there was an accompanying patron for it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psh6ccbkrvwpp9e/The%20Warlock.docx?dl=0
>>
>>51431291
Next time, the Orc Warchief will come riding his roc AND will have a friendly caster with Counterspell.
>>
>>51431291
Honestly? I would have a good laugh and award inspiration for that one
>>
>>51431057
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass
>>
>>51431427
thanks, anon
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>51431427
> giantitp
>>
>>51431452
at least it's a different brand of screaming autism to here. makes for variety.
>>
>>51431095
Because my DM is cool and yours isn't?
>>
>>51431452
If it works it works.
>>
File: doyoufearme.jpg (32KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
doyoufearme.jpg
32KB, 624x480px
>>51431532
>tfw also having a cool DM
Mine let me float the odd point left over from char creation until I finally decided what I wanted to do with it at level 8 (dropped it into Wis and took Resilient).
>>
>>51430664
Is your player also a barbarian?
In that case, he's mimicing AM BARBARIANS meme Pathfinder build.
>>
File: Fuck you.png (5KB, 239x258px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you.png
5KB, 239x258px
>>51431567
Lucky.

>tfw my group used standard array dogshit
>>
>>51431427
That's a lot of fucking words for something that should be simple enough.

Like, jeez.

Go paladin2/sorcererX , paladin6/sorcererX or paladin11/sorcererX and consider taking a level of undying light warlock if you must.
That's.. That's it.
Then you can either go greatsword or rapier or you could even take 3 levels of warlock for shillelagh if you're drunk. Or 6 levels of bard.. If you're drunk.

Actually, they do have some pretty good comments overall, but it's way too flashy and wordy. Fucking forum posts.
>>
>>51431657
Yeah, it could be a bit more succinct, but their reasoning did give me a few other ideas to try. I do like the flashy .gifs, though.
>>
What cantrips should my palalock take?

EB is a given, but then what?
>>
>>51431328
Magic.

If you want something more autistic than that, the many limits on the feature prove that there's much more going on than just the wizard's idea of an object becoming real. It would have properties of matter that the wizard doesn't completely understand. Since it has to have the form of something a wizard's seen before, a likely explanation is that the conjuration is based on a real item from the past that left an impression on the Weave and also has a connection to the wizard similar to that exploited by a Scrying spell.
>>
>>51429865
>We hugged at the end of the session.
Fake and, most of all, gay.
>>
>>51431775
Mage hand, it is too useful to pass up
>>
>>51431753
Even they don't cover everything though. I'm such a fucking sad fuck that I know twice as much as even they do and I can't take inspiration from anything anymore other than character fluff ideas.

See, both bard and warlock can be in corporated into their builds, and they only gave mention of 1 or 2 level dips into warlocks for things like armor of agathys.

Like I said, you could do 6 levels of bard or 3 levels of warlock or 1 level of warlock into the build for various effects. Of course, it makes a fucking mess but I'd call them viable. Paladin2/bard6/sorcerer12 for example. They didn't make a single mention of shillelagh anywhere.
>>
>>51431904
Because Shillelagh fucking sucks. It's everyone's go to, but not everyone wants to use a shit club or a quarter staff.
>>
About bladelocks... What if they had essentially eldritch blast "built in" their pact weapon, as extra force damage on their attacks? Let me run the math...

Blasterlocks
>3rd level: 1d10+1d6+3 (12)
>5th level: 2d10+2d6+8 (26)
>11th level: 3d10+3d6+15 (42)
>17th level: 4d10+4d6+20 (56)

Bladelocks with extra 1d10 force damage on attacks (2d10 by 11th level, 3d10 by 17th), taking the appropriate invocations
>3rd level: 1d8+1d6+1d10+3 (16.5)
>5th level: 2d8+2d6+2d10+6/8 (33/35)
>11th level: 2d8+2d6+4d10+6/8 (44/46)
>12th level: 2d8+2d6+4d10+18 (56)
>17th level: 2d8+2d6+6d10+20 (69)

Would this make them at least worth considering? I know how fucking autistic I look for doing all this, I'm just bored cause my group canceled our session today.
>>
>>51431982
It's literally rapier but better. You can even use PAM with it.

Only downside is you can't sneak attack with it.
>>
>>51431790
Two scenarios:
>Conjurer sees the cover of a book, uses Minor Conjuration to create a copy with all the text.

>Imprisoned Conjurer sees a key on the wall outside his cell, and is convinced that it's the key to his cell. Uses Minor Conjuration to make a copy of the key and it works, regardless of whether or not the original was a key for his cell.

Which of these would you prefer to be true?
>>
>>51431982
>>51432005
Oh, if you mean fluffwise, fuck you
Wooden hammer
Wooden sword
The club can be shaped as almost anything.
>>
>>51431291
Banishment only has a range of 60 feet, the war chief must've been pretty close in order for that happen, and should've been able to survive a fall that long.
>>
>>51432006
That's a false dilemma, but the first scenario is more in keeping with the actual rules for the class feature. The text may be illegible, though, just because the whole book is glowing.
>>
>>51431993
Compare it to other melees
>>
How about we do this to fix Bladelock:
Their level 5 invocation instead is War Magic
>>
>>51431775
I took friends, but that's a situational spell, our campaign started in the depths of an undercity and convincing people of things and being gone in the next minute was usually the necessary course of action.
>>
File: 1483955756773.png (39KB, 333x269px) Image search: [Google]
1483955756773.png
39KB, 333x269px
>>51432083
THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE PACT IS ENTIRELY COMBAT RELATED, LIKE WAR MAGIC IS
THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT'S A PACT OPTION, WHEN A PACT OPTION SHOULDN'T DECIDE BETWEEN 'ELDRITCH BLASTER' AND 'MELEE COMBATANT'

KEEPING PACT OF THE BLADE AS A PACT DOES NOT HELP ANYTHING JESUS FUCK JUST REMOVE THE PACT AND MAKE A NEW CLASS CALLED 'BLADELOCK'
>>
>>51432083
The problem is that their magic is entirely focused on melee, instead of being a blaster/melee hybrid, which they should've gone for. A caster is never going to be as good as a martial at melee.
>>
>>51432152
Calm down guy, you'll burst a vessel
>>
hows unearth arcana barbarian paths? Any of them top totem warrior abilities? I've been thinking about storm herald, it gives other possibilities when it comes to picking feats (you have bonus action spell like ability, so GWM/ shield master is a dead end). anyone have some expirience with it?
>>
File: 1479101028681.gif (404KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479101028681.gif
404KB, 640x360px
>>51432208
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

EVERY DAY

EVERY FUCKING DAY IT'S ANOTHER BAD BLADELOCK FIX

LIKE 'FREE COMBAT BUFFS!' IS A GOOD PACT OR 'LET'S MAKE BLASTLOCKS SHITTIER' IS A GOOD IDEA

AAAAAAAH
>>
>>51432262
There there buddy, it's alright
>>
>>51432152
Or, we just make bladelock better.
>>
>>51430202
Well that's stupid.
>>
Anybody got stories of high level 5e? I found this thing for Epic Characters on DMs Guild. Wasn't sure if 5e gets as janky in the high teens as 3.x or how in 4e you become a god around level 20.
>>
>>51432262
Okay but what if we gave Bladelock some more Invocations?
>>
File: ULTIMATE NIGGA HOURS.jpg (84KB, 600x545px) Image search: [Google]
ULTIMATE NIGGA HOURS.jpg
84KB, 600x545px
I want to make the beefiest motherfucker ever using only official material (Including UAs)

Max HP is easy, correct me if I'm wrong, but the most HP would be Dwarf Revenant Totem Barbarian (+3 CON, +2 from Dwarf, +1 from Revenant)

level 1
Point buy-
12, 12, 18, 12, 12, 10
(Assuming even distribution for +1 to saving throws except CHA because there's never CHA saves, if you were to actually make this I'm sure you'd do something else.)

level 4 ASI, bump to 20 CON

level 8 Feat- Tough

If I'm correct, that means if you took 7 HP per barb level you'd have 117 HP at level 8, and with Bear Totem giving resistance to all but Psychic that's an effective 234 HP.
>>
>>51432481
Well, that could be good, but it doesn't fix any of bladepactlock's inherent problems.
>>
>>51432228
Haven't played with them but they seems pretty neat. The aoe element one seems cool, giving barbs access to abilities they didn't previously have with some nice magical flair.
>>
>>51431089

If memory serves, the former. Admittedly I'd probably say the former anyway, as that sounds much more entertaining.
>>
>>51432022
I did make sure to make the wizard wait for him to swoop within range to pop off Banishment, which was the one saving grace of that fight. It was still a kind of tense moment, if only because he was close enough to fuck everyone up if the roc had made its saving throw.

For what it's worth the chief did survive the fall, my only problem is that I think it's going to be hard for the players to take him seriously from now on.
>>
>>51432060
Bladelock can't really compare to other melees, because that's not what it's supposed to be. It still has all those powerful spells, even if it doesn't have as many slots. As the other anon is desperately shouting (as much as I don't necessarily agree with him), the Pact is just supposed to add an extra cool thing the warlock can do.
>You gain the utility of rituals
>You gain the exploration of familiars
>You gain a magic weapon

When really the last one should be
>You gain the ability to hold your own in combat, so you can save your precious slots for other stuff
Not "excel in combat", not "be great at it", but enough to hold your own and make melee fighting worthwhile.
>>
When a cleric or other divine caster performs a spell are *they* casting divine magic, or are they partitioning their *god* to perform magic?

My GM says my cleric can't perform his spells right now because my deity is depressed over his wife leaving him and isn't paying attention to anyone's prayers but I'm pretty sure that's not how clerics work.
>>
>>51432530
If you don't put 12 into int and wis you could have higher dex/str for dmg and AC. If you want to be a wall might as well do something while you're standing there. Also more ac is a factor in beefiness imo. With a shield and a lil dex you could have 18-19 ac at level four. Foregoing str you could use the whip as a dex weapon and self flagellate yourself for fun and rp.
>>
File: Everdim_Keep.jpg (89KB, 640x465px) Image search: [Google]
Everdim_Keep.jpg
89KB, 640x465px
Do you guys have any fun house rules for exploration stuff? My players are going to be in the Underdark and I want to have more exploration things instead of straight up combat.

I'm currently trying to stat out wetsuits since bodies of water are going to be quite frigid, Wetsuits will allow them to swim for longer, faster and reduce the chance of hypothermia.

I'm also working on a system for crossing large crevices
>You can use a ranged weapon to fire a piton attached to a rope
>damage roll determines piton depth in rock
>athletics checks every X feet of rope
>failures cause the piton to loosen
>once failures equal the depth, the piton falls out and possibly causing people to plunge to their death
>>
>>51432743
>your god is too sad to grant you spells try again later
Holy shit my sides
>>
>>51432530
If you're fine with stuff other than most HP, becoming a dex barbarogue (high dex+con) for 20 AC, adding a shield for 22 AC and then using a rapier for sneak attacks along with other things and using rogue's uncanny dodge and evasion and such can make you pretty damn tanky.
>>
File: Autism.png (1MB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
1MB, 800x474px
>>51432760
>I'm also working on a system for crossing large crevices
>>You can use a ranged weapon to fire a piton attached to a rope
>>damage roll determines piton depth in rock
>>athletics checks every X feet of rope
>>failures cause the piton to loosen
>>once failures equal the depth, the piton falls out and possibly causing people to plunge to their death
>>
>>51432665
I think in the end it's all well and good, because I'm sure that'll be a good story to tell in the future. The chief could now be super embarrassed and over compensate everything, adding to future struggles of the party.

"You'll regret this day you fucks!"
>>
File: shoulder_shrug.jpg (175KB, 442x550px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder_shrug.jpg
175KB, 442x550px
>>51432743
You're a cleric. You rely on your god to give you magic or cast magic for you. Your god is sad and doesn't want to do either. Deal with it.
>>
>>51431427
>giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass
Broken link
>>
>>51432743
Sounds like a shitty situation. Your gods have any pals you could bum some spells off of?
>>
New DM

Gotta punish a player. He "looted before anyone else" a small statue worth 100x (150gp) what the party found in gp. Told everyone to fuck off ooc when the party tried to take it.

He already checked it fior Magic, mundane

Thinking about cursing it.
>>
>>51432773
I think his #1 goal is HP, so taking the lower hit dice each rogue level is a no-go
>>
>>51432665
Maybe you could have narrated in a way to make him badass despite the situation? As in "With a faint popping noise, the roc vanishes from sight, banished elsewhere. Confusion settles in the warchief's face, as he begins to plummet to the ground, no more than 50ft away from you. He quickly overcomes this confusion, however, and braces for the impact, landing with a loud thump and raising a cloud of dust. It settles after a moment, when you realize the warchief is already standing. More than that, actually, he's charging the wizard and because of his Agressive trait, he manages to close the distance in time to attack." Then you roll his attacks and damage and ask them to roll initiative!
>>
>>51432898
Well that was just for that one, and for max HP it's Barbarian or nothing since they're the only d12 hit die, but for maximum total survivability I'd assume some kind of EK/Paladin combo might beat it with stuff like Shield and other abilities.

*Not counting Onion Bear Druid
>>
>>51432868
First off, stop being a faggot and tell him to cut it like an adult.

If you fail at that, make it damn near impossible to find someone willing the buy such an expensive statue.
>>
>>51432743
Clerics get their magic refilled by their god through prayer, so if the god doesn't want to then yeah you're fucked. Still sounds like a shitty thing for the DM to do.
>>
>>51432868
Remind him that D&D is a cooperative game and that if he doesn't want to cooperate, he might not be able to play.
>>
>>51432868
Cut post in half

Can identify and detect magic recognize curses are even there

Secondly, what creative curse that isn't too debilitating would be good punishment? Thinking of making the statue expand and break his bag of holding
>>
>>51432840
>>51432949
Fuck, I guess I really am going to have to play matchmaker for god.

I'll bite my GMs plot hook then, but I'm going to be bitter about not getting any spells until I do I tell you that
>>
>>51432375
If you don't have full casters in the party, I can confirm high levels can be fairly easy to manage as a DM. With high-level casters, I've found that they are perfectly manageable in combat with the use of counterspell, dispel magic, and creatures with good saves. Out of combat, full casters can be managed with resource costs and, if absolutely necessary, removing Demiplane and Clone as castable spells.

Because I may be needing epic-level progression in my games, Can I have the link to that?
>>
>>51433019
What level are you? Spells are a huge part of a clerics arsenal and he's seriously cucking you if he denies you spells for any prolonged period of time
>>
>>51432847
The title is right there dude, I'm sure you could google it.
>>
>>51432971
>"Most methods of identifying items, including the identify spell, fail to reveal such a curse, although lore might hint at it. A curse should be a surprise to the item's user when the curse's effects are revealed."
>>
>>51429655
Bump

Any experience on retconning?

Any suggestions regarding the situation?
>>
>>51433172
Let it slide. Personally I'm uncomfortable retconning single events, let alone entire sessions.

If you want magic just make it happen next session.
>>
>>51433172
I know the feeling when the first session just doesn't feel right. However, once your core player is here, I have a feeling your next session will be much better.

Retconning is only necessary when there is a major problem that will screw up your game and is otherwise irreversible. If you consider the situation to be that dire, then I recommend suggesting the idea to your players and hearing their thoughts on the matter.
>>
>People just hate gnomes because of WoW
>Don't instead just reflavor them as colorful fairy folk

Bitches love fairies, man.
>>
>>51433272
I just have an irrational hatred of playing manlets.

Not sure why, I don't even like playing Dwarves. Maybe it's because if I'm looking to play a fantasy heroic character I assume they shouldn't be shorter than I am.
>>
Would it break anything to make Dragonborn Breath Weapon recharge like normal Dragon breath weapons, but maybe on a 6 instead of 5 or 6?
>>
>>51433244
I don't want to retcon either. Just a thought I had when we ended the session.

>>51433270
The bad thing is since I let them take a long rest in a safe, guarded place, they missed out on a lot of encounters. It was supposed to be quick missions during 1 night. But they ended up in a place where they couldn't take 2-3 more guys so they absolutely had to rest there. I thought a short rest would suffice but they wanted to a long sleep.

That kinda fucks up the schedule. Now the missions they didn't attend to are automatically failed. They gotta see the consequences.

Shitty that there was a cool dragon encounter that I really wanted to play out.
>>
>>51433378
Honestly probably not? Dragonborn breath weapon is absurdly weak when you consider the other damage options they have.
>>
File: angriest frog.jpg (60KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
angriest frog.jpg
60KB, 665x662px
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/825115698502307845

GIVE US THE UA, WIZARDS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51433425
Fuckin hell.

I was disappointed by Rogue, hope this wait pays off for other classes.
>>
File: 1484303247556.png (2MB, 1214x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1484303247556.png
2MB, 1214x1109px
>>51433425
>mysticcucks cucked again
>>
>>51433425
Welp, no mystics for my new group this weekend.

Works out, though, I hadn't accounted for mystics in the setting yet.
>>
>>51433425
FUCK'S SAKE. HOW FUCKING BIG IS IT GONNA BE
>>
>>51427227
Can it also substitute for things that include "...which is consumed by the spell"?

I thought if it has either a price tag or the spell eats it, you need to actually be carrying the object.
>>
>>51433599
If it doesn't have a price tag, then the wand or stave will work. if it consumes it, it won't eat the wand.
>>
>>51430865
What's the best way to do this? I've been trying to get it working but I'm kinda stuck.
>>
File: Incoherent Rage.jpg (92KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Incoherent Rage.jpg
92KB, 400x300px
>>51433425
I hope this is gonna be worth the wait
>>
>>51433711
Monk 6/Rogue X. You have a decent amount of ki, your shadow teleport, extra attack, and stunning strike. Sneak attack gives you more damage, then you get your extra skills, cunning action, and so on down the line. It also leaves you only two levels behind in ASIs, which hurts as a monk but isn't absolutely terrible.
>>
>>51433778
I assume I'd want to start rogue for the skills and weapons but what level would I switch ?
>>
>>51433425
These fucking cunts.
>>
>>51433795
Nah, start monk. Go to monk 6, then go rogue the rest of the way. Use shortswords and unarmed strikes.
>>
>>51433882
Alright that seems easy enough. I'm just pissed I can't get a shadowdancer rogue but this'll do.
>>
>>51433629
Foci can't take the place of mats that get consumed, even if they don't have a price:

>IF A SPELL'S MATERIAL COMPONENTS ARE CONSUMED, CAN A SPELLCASTING FOCUS STILL BE USED IN PLACE OF THE CONSUMED COMPONENT?
>Nope. A spellcasting focus can be used in place of a material component only if that component has no cost noted in the spell’s description and if that component isn’t consumed.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-spellcasting
>>
Why is there no race that gives +2 Wis?
>>
For gameplay reasons I plan to play a Feral Abyssal Tiefling Shadow Monk. Is there anyway to make this not edgy?
>>
>way of the four elements

what kind of sucky shit is this?

Garbage can: the class
>>
>>51434196
Firbolg.
>>
File: MrCranstonsWut.jpg (96KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
MrCranstonsWut.jpg
96KB, 326x326px
>>51434267
>Feral
>Monk
>>
>>51434321
Need that +2 DEX.

I'm only playing one because I hate Wood Elves and Halflings.
>>
>>51434267
You've got one too many adjectives there, buddy.
>>
So, is there any realism to the massive pirate / East India Trading Company fleet standoff in Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End?

If I set up something similar (with the players on one of the main ship's of either faction) is that pants on head retarded? How do I do a massive fleet on fleet battle between pirates and "authority"?
>>
>>51434267
Well let's break it down and see how we can maybe make it less edgy.
>Feral abyssal tiefling
Well.. I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be edgy-
>shadow monk
I mean.. yeah you're on your own here buddy, shit is pretty edgy.
>>
>>51434345
>>51434351
Should I just play up the edge in the closest thing I can get to funny?
>>
>>51434369
I mean you could.
Or you could just do any other race with a +2 dex mod. Like half-elf.
>>
>>51434290
There's a fixed version floating out there that's pretty decent. Honestly it's not that hard to at least make it more viable.

Off the top of my head I'd just straight up let them choose to deliver elemental damage equal to their unarmed instead of bludgeoning (or piercing/slashing if they're birdy/kitty).

Otherwise I guess reduce most of their spells by 1 ki point, although the whole idea of 'techniques' that are just spells is pretty dumb in the first place.
>>
>>51434381
75% of characters I make are Half elves.

I mean it's basically just a Tiefling Monk when you shorten it. Just a lot of edgy adjectives.
>>
>>51434407
See if you'll be allowed to play an Aarakoa. Or just get over yourself about being 'edgy'.

You can always portray your character the way you want. Don't gotta be edgy, you just scary as fuck.
>>
Monks seem so shitty.

Tons of flavor, but they don't appear to do anything since they need to so much ki. Way of shadow gimps itself, way of the four elements is probably the worst specialization in the game, and way of the fist appears to be the only valid option, and that just gives a self heal, and a CC option with open hand.
>>
>>51434443
Is asking my DM for wings taking it to far?
>>
File: 127-1-1456742973.jpg (28KB, 361x519px) Image search: [Google]
127-1-1456742973.jpg
28KB, 361x519px
Building an antimage warlock. I'm definitely useing tome pact and picking up shillelagh and probably guidance and shocking grasp. Do these seem like good gets for this kind of build?
>>
>>51432228

Spirit barb is kinda like the Knight but it requires less shenanigans to get it to cover allies

Storm Barb has more options than most a coherent theme and follows similar precedent too the totem barbs.

Zealots middle abilities are utter shit and the total package isnt very good either
>>
>>51434471
Stunning strike can chain-stun certain enemies, making it a pretty powerful ability.

I always find Shadow's ability to teleport essentially at will pretty useful.

Wot4E has various issues, but is one of the true 'trap' builds for 5e. But admittedly a handful of house rules can fix pretty much anything.
>>
>>51433425
This better be something on the scale of the UA Ranger rework if they're taking this long, what the hell man.
>>
File: 1470040374407.jpg (86KB, 640x460px) Image search: [Google]
1470040374407.jpg
86KB, 640x460px
Thoughts on this?

>Pact of the Chisel
>You gain proficiency in two tools of your choice
>As an action, you may conjure a tool which you are proficient in. Your proficiency bonus is doubled on checks using this tool.
>Your pact tool disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more, if you use this feature again, or if you dismiss it (no action required).
>While using your pact tool, you have advantage on any check made to use the tool to glorify your patron, such as chiseling an idol or painting an image of them.

>+Some kind of invocation that gives Fabricate or some similar effect
>>
Can y'all sanity/stat check the first step of my shitty Monk Archtype? It's called Path of the Mask, for a wrestling-themed character.

3rd level: Signature Move.

Create a special move and give it a name. You may expend one Ki point to perform this maneuver on an enemy that is Stunned or Prone. You instantly leap to your feet (if prone) and can take up to your full movement. At the end of your movement, you perform an attack against the target. If it hits, you do 1d10 damage + additional Unarmed damage (goes up with monk level, starts at 1d4) for every 5 feet of movement expended.
>>
>>51434662
I mean it's fine but not very exciting at all. I can see a player getting bored of it very quickly.
>>
>>51434813
Assuming that it's just the unarmed damage per 5 feet, a level 3 wood elf monk could do:
5(1d10)+20(8d4) damage with this signature move, plus modifier if it applies.
>>
>>51434813
How many actions does it use?

So a wood elf with mobile at level 4 could do (30+10+10+5)/5 *1d10+1d4= 11d10+11d4 damage for 1 ki point?
W-what

Also it seems pretty bland when most other monk traditions have cool things like 'you can cast fun spells!' or 'you can prone enemies and knock them around!' or 'you can cast sanctuary and heal!' when this is just.. Damaging things.
>>
>>51434813
First and foremost, AC = 10 + STR + WIS
The movement stuff is weird. If you have a stunned or proned guy you can just run away and come back for the full movement, if you're in a tight space just run back and forth until your movement ends etc. I dig the idea but you gotta express it better.
>>
>>51434821
Until they abuse it for mass production of masterworks to rake mad dosh...
>>
>>51433425
You blithering cunts realize it's just two people banging them out, yeah?
>>
>OP contains a discord link
>OP forgot the thread title
>muh bladelock fix
>muh unarmed str build
>"ua when wizards" reeee
>>
>>51434947
/5eg/ in a nutshell
would be glad if you mentioned the glorious first comment in your memearrows
>>
File: Juicer.jpg (303KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Juicer.jpg
303KB, 1440x810px
I'm trying to make a Warforged Barbarian who awakens with no memory and only knows that it needs to be "Good" based on his creator's last wishes, so it wanders around trying to be "good". What background would fit it mechanically?
>>
>>51434958
Must have missed it. I'm just glad that thus far the thread at least avoided having any
>4e was better
posts.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (153KB, 629x596px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
153KB, 629x596px
>>51434947
>a namefag brings up the Discord after almost 300 posts of no mention of it
>>
>>51434892
If you've got players who want to "win" DnD I suppose.
>>
Hey guys. I haven't played D&D since 2.5 ed. I am coming back and hesitating between three class. I am looking at all around commentaries (fun, usefulness, power, RP opportunity) of : Warlock (old ones), wild sorcerer and psychic. Thank you!
>>
>>51435046
>psychic
Hahaha
At least pick something proper like any PHB race or artificer

>wild sorcerer
It's shit, but it's not super shit. It's playable. But if you have a wizard in the party who knows what they're doing, they'll be better than you at most of the things you can do.

>warlock
Eh. I mean, it has good RP potential, flavourful... It can feel limited and it's not as powerful as the real full casters (Aside from sorcerer) but has good cantrip spam I guess. Just don't try bladelock and you'll be fine.
>>
Is 5e overpriced for what it is?
>>
>>51435046
Frankly 5e is pretty well balanced, so I wouldn't worry about efficacy. People'll mention how you'll "never be as good as the wizard" but honestly it shouldn't be too noticable. /5eg/ has a bad habit of taking things to the extreme.

Psychic (Mystic) isn't complete yet so I'd cut that out from the get go.

Between Sorcerer and Warlock, kinda just depends on your flavor. Personally I think that Warlocks are more flavorful, but they're kinda similar when you get to the bare bones of it.
>>
>>51435118
>Overpriced
Frankly, no. Especially considering past DnD. And its comparable to other roleplay systems, considering you only need one book to play.

Unless you're comparing it to Pathfinder, whose base rules are free only because they have to be.
>>
File: anaboost.jpg (12KB, 260x246px) Image search: [Google]
anaboost.jpg
12KB, 260x246px
>>51429615
>genie sorcerer
>>
Alright /tg/, made improvements based on your recommendations.

If you tell me more of what's broken, I'll fix it, and hopefully we'll end up with a worthwhile fighter option.
>>
>>51435046
Wild Sorc is dependent on your DM. You want to be rolling for wild magic every chance you can get. Otherwise it's stone-dead boring.
>>
>>51435139
The deal isn't 'it's not as strong as wizard' because most classes aren't depending on things
The deal is that sorcerer is similar to wizard but wizard is better, which means a party with a wizard and sorcerer may find the wizard can do all the things the sorcerer can, and then some. Though I suppose sorcerers still have a few tiny things they're better at.
>>
>>51435210
>Though I suppose sorcerers still have a few tiny things they're better at.

>Being able to Haste both the party's fighter and rogue at the same time with one concentration

Sure, seems tiny.
>>
>>51435089
I would be the only caster beside a cleric.
>>
>>51435244
And that's pretty much the only thing you can do. Twin and quicken spells, and quicken spells is nicer when you can multiclass for better cantrips.

Twinning spells is on a similar level to a wizard school, and the wizard then still gets better spellcasting.
>>
>>51435297
Point.

Honestly I hope the new UA on Monday is maybe one new origin, and like 5 new metamagic options. That'd make all the existing options much more worthwhile.
>>
>>51435349
The new UA is on february sixth
They cucked us again
>>
File: 1482098571740.jpg (81KB, 500x570px) Image search: [Google]
1482098571740.jpg
81KB, 500x570px
>>51429615
>Genie Sorcerer

I really fucking hope so
>>
Rules Question:

Can any character technically be able to get a Familiar and a Paladin Mount through Ring of Spell Storing?
>>
>>51434850
>>51434881
>>51434889

This is for a player who wanted to play a wrestlemonk, he just turned level 3 so I want to give him a wrestlething.

Monks don't have great damage output, so this lets them hit HARD on enemies. But they have to set it up, either by tackling them or stunning them or whatever. The movement is supposed to evoke the People's Elbow, you run around, do a little dance, whatever, then drop the hammer.

Balancing the damage is tricky since I'm pretty new to D&D. What about 1d10 plus 1d4 for every 10 feet? This character only has 40 feet of movement at the moment, so 1d10 (5) + 4d4(8) = 13? Is that really worth a Ki point + the effort spent setting it up?
>>
QUICK /tg/

I need a feat for a level 8 aaracokra dex-fighter battle master, already have defensive duelist and my stats are pretty good.
>84 HP, rolled
>Saves are kinda eh, Wis save could be better
>20 AC
Dunno what feat to take,
Shield Mastery, Tough, and Resilience(Wis) all seem like good/ridiculous choices.
Anyone got any advice?
>>
>>51435642
>rolling for stats

And reasonably any good dex fighter, especially one that can fly, would have crossbow mastery and sharpshooter.
>>
>>51435642
Do you have Athletics?

Take Grappler / Tavern Brawler and just fly away holding a dude.
>>
>>51435443
Sure, why not?
>>
300 Ravenloft monsters. https://mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk
>>
File: ohboy.gif (693KB, 339x279px) Image search: [Google]
ohboy.gif
693KB, 339x279px
>>51435814
ty
>>
File: 71iH0tTzBCL._SL1417_.jpg (252KB, 1417x945px) Image search: [Google]
71iH0tTzBCL._SL1417_.jpg
252KB, 1417x945px
>>51429776
>>51429865
Well done for both playing Lawful Good correctly AND still annoying the party with your inflexible moral code.
>>
>>51430899
>TFW the great old one trolls you by breaking the 4th wall and making you a warlock devoted to him.

Your character development should progress by having him learn to metagame and eventually if you reach level 20 then you should learn to attack the DM directly dealing 1d100 + STR modifier plot damage to the session itself thereby ending the game and "winning" DnD
>>
File: 1475265599088.jpg (28KB, 340x455px) Image search: [Google]
1475265599088.jpg
28KB, 340x455px
>>51435191
>dat pic
>>
File: 1200.jpg (44KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
44KB, 1200x675px
>>51435814
I love you
>>
>>51429776
>>The quest said to SLAY, not LAY the orcs

This is funny enough to probably be a cliché
>>
>>51434339
fuck you
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
So I'm making a CR30 monster for a bunch of crazy ass adventurers messing with Time, and currently it has:
>AC of 25
>455HP
>attacks 6 times per turn doing on average 16 damage per hit
>can use a reaction every round
>the usual legendary resistances
>takes half damage if it should fail any saving throw to take damage, and takes none if it succeeds
>is immune to poison, necrotic and nonmagical weapons
>resistant to most common damage types
>can use legendary actions to cast slow
>can use all legendary actions at once to "undo" one attack against it
>is under the effects of foresight, so has advantage on attack rolls, ability checks and saving throws and creatures have disadvantage to hit it with attacks
Anything else I need to add? comparing it to Tiamat and the Tarrasque it seems to fall short.
>>
>>51434476

Ask for Feather Fall as a racial, wings at 9th.

It's around the same time a druid gets his flying forms, and he'll be airborne whenever the fuck he wants already anyway, so it's about the same shit gamewise
>>
>>51434482
>antimage

Magebreaking burns slots. You don't have slots to burn. Magebreaker warlock is definitely not my route

I recommend Bard. Get that Counterspell, Jack of All Trades, Enhance Ability and later Self-Inspiration and maybe a Stone of Good Luck and you'll mage break like a motherfucker.

Added ontop of that, you get to play around with Silence, Dispel Magic, Anti Magic Field, Conjure Woodland Beings and so on, not to mention Cutting Words to fuck with a mage that tries to counterspell your counterspell
>>
Just made a human monk. Feels dirty.

Used variant rule for 1Wis/1Dex and got Resilient feat for Cons. Point Buy stats. Open Palm Tradition. Upped to lvl 6. Took Martial Adept feat at 4. Riposte and Menacing.

Can heal. Can deflect incoming missile, even throw it back. Can retaliate against melee with Riposte with increased damage. Extra Attack.
> Hit.
> Hit.
> Menacing Attack maneuver
> Flurry
> Hit and Knock prone
> Hit with Adv and block reaction
> Turn around
> Walk away extra fast

The only down side is stats are meh 3 Dex 3 Wis, so the Save DCs aren't that high. 39 HP averaged. 16 AC.
>>
>>51430456
Familiars are useful in combat all the damn time. Blade's problem is that it is too mundane. It's a good place to put more 4e style boons for finishing off creatures. The other pacts give unique abilities and have invocations with wide, game-altering, if subtle, effects. Blade just gives completely ordinary effects.

It could give an effect that recovers on kills, or recover existing features on kills. The invocations can be improved, like adding bonus action summoning to thirsting blade and healing from necrotic damage for lifedrinker. Allowing it to summon tools isn't a bad idea.

It doesn't do the wrong thing right now. It really just doesn't do enough.
>>
>>51436173
Martial adept on a not-battlemaster sounds pretty horrible.
>>
>>51430797
>The reason it shouldn't be a pact is because it should be something like a level 1 choice between EB and melee.
You can already melee at level 1, if that's what you're going for, thanks to simple weapons. The boon and invocations are alternatives to agonizing blast and cantrip scaling, and should be priced as such.

You can even take both.
>>
File: everything.png (358KB, 676x508px) Image search: [Google]
everything.png
358KB, 676x508px
>mfw I just got away with murder
>>
>>51436282
whose murder?
>>
>>51436292
the queen of the kingdom we've been working for

i convinced everyone that she actually killed herself
>>
>>51436231
Why? The reaction Attack it gives is pretty decent. Menacing attack was to dick around.

Might change but definitely wanna try out some pvp situations
>>
>>51430934
>Either way, there's a reason non-combat utility choices and combat utility choices are typically kept seperate.
They aren't actually kept separate, especially for spellcasters. You see it in feats as well.
>>
>>51436188
Familiars are nowhere near as useful in combat unless you're seriously abusing the 'help' action, which seriously shoudn't be a thing.
You can use them to go and pull levers and such, but that's more 'utility in combat' much like how cantrips can be 'utility in combat'. Though shillelagh is more of a combat buff making you less MAD.
>>
In a party with a Rogue, Eldritch Knight, Wizard, Sorcerer, and Druid. What should I play?
>>
>sunsoul monk
>shooting ki blasts and playing DBZ

this is awesome
>>
>>51436300
Oh. I thought you meant a real person.
Boooooring.
>>
I see a lot of people having issues with Undying Light Warlock, mostly because it's OP, but also because of the patron. Do you think that a Patron always has to be negative? Could you work for a positive Entity, or would that just make you a Paladin?
>>
>>51436359
>OP
How so?
>>
>>51436320
Whatever the fuck you want
Or a Bard.
>>
>>51436320
Whatever you want to play. Party build isn't a problem.

If you wanna go different I'd get Bard and KS everything with vicious mockery.
>>
File: 1a1a13cc6aa70b2c2750f322ac0ff9fe.jpg (178KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1a1a13cc6aa70b2c2750f322ac0ff9fe.jpg
178KB, 1191x670px
Let's say I want to play a character who is an agile melee striker who can both avoid and take hits while thriving on a battle rage/trance and brutal unarmed attacks.
Should I play Barbarian or Long Death Monk? What's good or bad about either?
>>
>>51436383
>Unarmed Attacks
Monk.
>>
>>51436359
In my experience, Undying Light is far, far, FAR from overpowered, so much so that one session killed him. Admittedly, I say this more because I dislike the DM's style and less to be helpful, but still, how do you think the Undying Light is OP?
>>
>>51436368
Not exactly sure on that myself? The most it does is give you CHA bonus to Radiant/Fire Damage. Not really sure why some think it's OP. Maybe the healing?
>>
>>51436055
Anyone?
>>
>>51429865
How kind of the DM to work with a Neutral Evil character.
>>
So, I"m running a homebrew jungle exploration campaign. The few sentient, native races that inhabit the jungle are Lizardfolk, Bullywugs, and Grung, all who share a common language. The party doesnt speak this language, but one of them is a Lizardfolk "guide" hired by the party, so they won't be super fucked. But, It will get tiresome for them to keep talking through that one person.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of ritual, or bauble a native shaman can give them to be able to speak the language. What crazy shit can I have them collect to give to this dude to make the magic work?
>>
Anyone else use the old Tiefling Tables? I've never used it before but I got really lucky and ended up with this for my Feral Abyssal Tiefling Shadow Monk.

Striped Markings all over body, Blue Hair, Red eyes, Scaly skin, Fangs, Spiny Ridges all over and Goat hooves. I have to play this character.
>>
>>51436359
Fey patron are already positive. Edgey people are just stupid.
>>
File: Spiral Power Acquired.jpg (437KB, 700x840px) Image search: [Google]
Spiral Power Acquired.jpg
437KB, 700x840px
>>51436456
Ancient tribal brew, made with the worst possible ingredients to be found in the island. A birds guano, saliva from the pits of a feral beast, the liver from a poisonous creature, and ladened with dried insect carapace.
It is more so a test of endurance, to see if they can handle speaking such a language. Once ingested, they will begin seeing visions, and ancient tales unfold before them. If they survive this ordeal, they will be able to understand the language.
Least, that's how I would do it.
>>
>>51434482
Warlock is non-negotiable
>>
>>51430180
That's racist
>>
>>51436173
I was gonna point out how terrible your build is, but I guess as long as you are having fun, it's fine.
>>
>>51435642
mobile
abuse your ability to fly
>>
>>51433306
Why are y'alls masculinity so fragile?
>>
>>51431089
The guy has to be willing why would he be willing

and is this the death knight or his servant? Because death knights just come back as death knights themselves they can't be permanently killed
>>
>>51431993
You should really shoot for something more unique than EB but melee, and Hex isn't as good a use for your spells when you're only making two attacks.

>>51432152
No, the problem there is that you use your weapon in melee and EB not in melee so it doesn't make sense to do both at the same time.

>>51435004
>>4e was better
It's 4e was alright, and it was.
>>
>>51433599
>>51434021

This is technically correct, but the only spell I know of that consumes components without a cost is Protection from Evil and Good
>>
>>51436173
>>51436310
You only learn 2 maneuvers and you only have 2 superiority dice.

PvP in 5e is stupid. The game isn't build for it, that is why they separate PC and Monster rule. All PC are glass cannon and your monk will literally die in one round.
>>
>>51433425
That's really fair.

I've felt like this past slew of UA has been of relatively low quality, and I think that the weekly release schedule really contributed to that. I have high hopes for what's effectively this Monthly UA
>>
File: Nobody.jpg (116KB, 699x645px) Image search: [Google]
Nobody.jpg
116KB, 699x645px
I'm making a setting in which there is no "gods" in the traditional sense, and only two planes (Reality and one other I guess would be similar to the Warp in 40k if it wasn't full of demons).

Would the best way to go about Clerics be to just say they get their power by channeling the power of the not-warp using the strength of their convictions, similar to how a Paladin gets their power from their Oath, leaving them mechanically the same and just renaming the class "Channelers"? (PCs that still follow a religion could still call themselves Clerics or Priests, but wouldn't necessarily have to have a deity)

Also note that while there isn't gods in the traditional sense there is still very much religion, so most Channelers would be of some religion or another. It kinda just makes it seem more like pointless background fluff until the plot advanced far enough that the PCs would meet a "god"
>>
>>51436525
I like it. Ta mate.
>>
>>51435464
Normally a Ki point is worth one extra unarmed strike on a turn, so it scaled up from about 5 to about 10, assuming it has the same attack bonus. It needs to hit harder to cover its action cost, and be a little more efficient as stunning strikes are better, but a little less efficient if it allows the monk to nova.
>>
File: Gnome book.jpg (140KB, 592x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gnome book.jpg
140KB, 592x1000px
>>51436631
These peasants can't deal with gnomes
>>
I'm running a campaign set in my homebrew world and is there anything unbalancing about allowing a Large race if I mention they can't use Large weapons for extra damage but give a 22 cap on their strength?
>>
>>51436772
Not gamebreaking but not only does it discourage taking more interesting feats and instead just pushing your strength up..
Eh.

I'd do it like they did goliath.
>>
>>51434662
Tome can't get it for free so it's the second best Pact.
>>
>>51436843
The thing it's based off a friends old book he wrote in highschool.

The Giants are about 10-15 feet tall and mostly peaceful friendly hermits who aren't all that bright. I was thinking something like this.

+2 or maybe +3 STR, +1 CHA, -1 INT, Large, 22 cap on STR, Proficiency in Persuasion and Athletics, Disadvantage on Stealth checks and maybe something else positive. I'm not to worried about it being a bit on the strong side as long as it's not Gamebreaking.
>>
>>51436317
>unless you're seriously abusing the 'help' action, which seriously shoudn't be a thing.
But it is a thing. And chain also has that high level invocation.
>>
>>51436679
>You only learn 2 maneuvers and you only have 2 superiority dice.
You actually get only 1 die. I think Sentinel would work better.
>>
>DM for complete, complete dudebro fratguys who have never so much as touched any RPG outside of like fallout 4, even that may be giving them too much
>fully expect them to get bored after an hour, thought they were just humoring me as they all know I'm into D&D
>after a single 2 hour sess that was nothing but a bar fight, they love it
>next sess is a standard dungeon delve, they love it and completely destroy my dungeon, seriously this level 1 party fought five encounters in a single day, each encounter rated normal or higher difficulty going by kobold fight club, and I do not fudge rolls or give any mercy
>they smashed all my puzzles easily, they weren't hard puzzles but they aced them
>found all the secrets and shit in the dungeon, which they entered at level 1 and left at level 3, carrying out every optional, hidden reward I had put in the dungeon. I literally did nothing to point them in the direction of this stuff, they found it on their own

Anyone just been blown away by your players? I didn't even think this group was going to make it out of character creation and now they wanna meet 2x a week
>>
File: 1445067635243.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1445067635243.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
Need some advice.

I got 2 players, and they've recently stat'd up a Totem (Wolf) Barbarian/10 and a Thief Rogue/10. I just ran them through a brief adventure that ended with them getting a job invite from some Bad Dudes. The mission they're going to get is going to be a heist/assassination. They'll need to assault/sneak into a Wizard's Tower held by 4 archetypal adventurers, steal a magic item from storage, and possibly kill the party. The Barbarian and Rogue have some good burst and godly speed and stealth, so I'm willing to throw more Deadly encounters and threats at them.

Trouble is I feel like I can't possibly make up enough cool shit for them to deal with. Anyone here know any good advice for building a Wizard Tower type dungeon? Or a fun idea for such a game?
>>
>>51436983
In my limited experience people like that are always better then you'd think. All my friends who are nerdy have proven to be very shit at the game.
>>
>>51436983
You do realize that 6-8 encounters per day is considered "normal" by the books, and that just because you're playing with Fratboys doesn't mean you're playing with morons, right?

Congrats on finding a group that isn't all autistic neckbeards, though.
>>
>>51436995
Curious. Any theories as to why?
>>
>>51436983
>>51436995
Maybe that's because D&D is a social game and dudebro fratguys are usually very social people, opposite to many nerds.
>>
File: 1477622477409.gif (994KB, 257x194px) Image search: [Google]
1477622477409.gif
994KB, 257x194px
>>51433029
>http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173822/Epic-Characters
here you go brother
Let me know how it goes. I'm very interested.
>>
>>51437032
I think because they're honestly more confident.

They aren't specifically trying to be good and haven't heard stories so they just make it up and treat it like a game. Which it is.

They also seem less likely to get pissy and to find even slightly original plots to be amazing because they've never seen them.
>>
>>51436989
Oh man. At level 10, you're gonna need to throw them some powerful stuff, though not a lot of those, since they're only too. I'd suggest using Golems, for starters. Magical traps. Maybe some of those guardian creatures: Spectators, Flameskulls, Chuuls... For the final encounter, a Shield Guardian fighting besides the wizard. Stuff like that.
>>
>>51437098
I like some of the suggestions. That seems like a lot of shit for two level 10s to handle though.
>>
File: 1485134766470.jpg (139KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1485134766470.jpg
139KB, 1089x1936px
Guys i rolled an 18 for dex on my paladin
>>
>>51437216
DEX paladin build?
>>
>>51437216
use a whip
become the castlevania
>>
>>51436995
>>51437005
>>51437032
>>51437038
It has really made me question why D&D is considered nerdy and whatever

Kinda need some help though, I'm not sure what to do next session. Been running it by the seat of my pants, making up most of it as it happens.

here's the basics of the campaign so far

>party was hired by an guild to investigate the disappearances of loggers from a small frontier town
>they arrived to the town and immediately went to the tavern for booze
>in the tavern, the cleric noticed a group of armed men on the opposite side of the tavern eyeing them up. needless to say a barfight started shortly after and the men all were killed, last one alive was interrogated and told the party they had been hired to watch the town and report any adventurers coming through the area, died of his wounds shortly after
>party took on a job from an old logger, his daughter had gone missing near the forest. Old man directed the party to a retired ranger who may be able to help them track his daughter down
>party arrived at the old ranger's hut, to find it ransacked, with gnolls looting the place. after killing the gnolls, they found the body of the old ranger, and determined that he'd been dead for days, and was killed not by gnolls but by a strange three-toothed bite mark on his neck
>the party caught on to tracks leading to the forest, and followed them to a crypt.
>players adventured through the crypt, which was inhabited by strange pieced-together zombies, traps, and intelligent ghouls performing a ritual on a girl (the logger's daughter)
>after a big fight the party saves the girl and blah blah. Walk out of the dungeon with a chitinous black helmet that currently holds a strange skull in it, a grimoire written in ancient elvish, a small black book written in some unidentifiable language, and a sapphire ring found on the skeleton of an ancient elvish wizard, who had fallen victim to a trap in the crypt long ago

no idea what to do for the magic items or plot
>>
>>51437216
rapier and shield with studded leather. be an agile as fuck, stealthy as fuck, ancients paladin. Go wood elf for extra laffs
>>
>>51437216
Bugbear, here we come.
>>
>>51437261
>Go wood elf for extra laffs

don't know why I said wood elf, drow or halfling would be great too.
>>
>>51437263
I like that idea
>>
>>51437216
>>51437231
>>51437263
BUGBEAR MONT PALADIN
>>
File: 1402254990442.gif (2MB, 360x352px) Image search: [Google]
1402254990442.gif
2MB, 360x352px
>>51428116
Does this sound bad for a setting specific half-dragon race?

>+2 Con, +1 Int or Wis
>Nature skill
>1 skill and 2 tools of your choice

Was going to add one more thing if it wasn't too much already but I wasn't sure if I'd go with +1 to AC (dragon scales) or the Goliath's d12 damage reduction ability.
>>
>>51437345
Real question here: What's so different about Dragons in your setting that a half-dragon race is inherently attuned to Nature, but don't make for good Dragon sorcerers?
>>
>>51437397
Default setting wise: there's little to no arcane magic. They mainly picked up the dragon's long lifespan and penchant for being a jew

It's not my setting, I'm just helping a friend iron his out. I'm not super familiar with every little nook and cranny of his lore yet but I said I'd help out. The ASIs can be altered in the future if needed but I'm mainly concerned with balancing out the other stuff.
>>
>>51436983
Yeah, my group is currently made up entirely of big ass buff dudes from the gym. They all have really good rolls and just charge and destroy everything I put in their way. It's terrifying.
>>
>>51437440
Not him, but that sounds neato.
>>
File: 1359514886702.jpg (136KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1359514886702.jpg
136KB, 400x400px
>>51436983
>imagining a bunch of dudebromanguys around the table sporting dope ass wizard hats and skyrim helmets
>"I, like, point my sword towards the evil warlock and say "dude, we can't let you get away with any of this dude.""
>dude nice
>sick bro

That's fucking hilarious

>>51437485
Pic related

My main concern is putting too much into a racial chassis, as I've been guilty of doing so in the past. /tg/ usually helps me trim it down though. I might settle for the +1 AC since it's less to remember for players
>>
>>51437455
>When Chads Attack
>>
File: 1484593172539.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1484593172539.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>51437296

Do eett fhagot
>>
>>51428630
>>51428653
What if you start as a fighter, class into lock and go pact of blade, then take Invocations like Devil's Sight and whatnot to make yourself highly able to fight in any sort of combat?

Not to mention summoning the exact weapon you need for the job, which is also magical?
>>
>>51437518
Why don't you give us the race's pitch and see what the anons here think it should have? A lot of us have experience balancing racial abilities.

>t. neato-anon
>>
File: 1360007172279.jpg (190KB, 653x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1360007172279.jpg
190KB, 653x1224px
>>51437591
I would, but I've work in about half an hour. I'll try again some other time. Thanks though
>>
>>51437245
>Ghouls were trying to resurrect their creator (the dead wizard/necromancer), and kidnapped the logger's daughter as a vessel because of a resemblance to the dead necromancer.
>Henchman #1 shows up to see what the hold up is and discovers the mess. He removes the skeletal remains of the necro to a new lair, and buries the crypt in snow.
>This Henchman is actually a Druid who's grown desperate at seeing his lands stripped bare by the loggers. He discovered the crypt and the grimoire, and tried to fuse Druidic magic and Necromancy but failed.
>His resulting creations are frankenzombies and mutated beasts - now his minions to augment the gnolls he's been intimidating into helping him
>Using the helmet that lets you speak to (but not see) dead spirits floating around, he was able to select a few coherent souls and implant them in ghouls, making intelligent ghouls.
>The ghouls are tasked with finishing the ressurrection while the Druid goes to talk with a Goliath band. He's promised the band sanctuary in the land if they help him scare off (or kill) the loggers with his undead creations.
>The Goliaths are now tasked with getting the grimoire back (at minimum) but the strange book and helmet if possible. They ambush the party and curb stomp them, stealing their items (have a few gnoll "runners" around to zip the items away quickly) and are preparing to finish off the party when the Logger's daughter shows up with a bunch of the Loggers to save the day
>The Goliaths fuck off and now you have reason to track them down to dungeon #2, which may not even contain the goliaths and stolen items depending on how you want to pace this

As for the Ring, lots of options. MiteBcool ones:
>Ring of Animal Influence
The Necro had some kind of nature connection? Explains the Druid
>Ring of Mind Shielding
How the Necro kept his experimenting hidden
>Ring of Spell Storing
Probably the most generic option for a wizard, buut... you could tuck a homebrew spell inside it?
>>
File: 1431657267570.jpg (55KB, 612x768px) Image search: [Google]
1431657267570.jpg
55KB, 612x768px
>>51437606
Well good luck then. As a last note though, the sats you gave us make a very weak race. There was a cool reddit* thread where someone broke down the races into a point system, and going by that your race is pretty low-tier.

I would honestly add something else. Like vestigial wings that act as a permanent feather fall and gust cantrip effect. Maybe then make a racial feat that grants full flight. Or not.

*>hurr durr go back to lereddit meme XD
>>
>>51437657
Ah, that's good news. I won't feel like I'm adding a bit much if I add something more later then. Coolio

Well, time for another rousing night of guard duty.
>>
>>51437683
Go on anon. Kill the first adventurer who tries to pass you.
>>
File: coolio1.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
coolio1.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
>>51437683
>Coolio
>>
>>51437151
As i said, not all at the same time, but sprinkled across the tower. Another suggestion, in the mega there's the pdf for Rise of Tiamat. If you don't mind spoilers, read through Episode 7. It happens in a old wizard tower and has a bunch of cool stuff, especially a magical hedge labyrinth surrounding the tower.
>>
File: ravenloft map 2.jpg (6MB, 1920x4656px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft map 2.jpg
6MB, 1920x4656px
>>51437850
I actually have that book...but didn't have players when I read it, so I probably need to review. Thanks!

Pic is gift for you.
>>
>>51436989
Just want to chip in that I ran an adventure for only two players recently, and had a lot of luck just letting them make two characters each to control. It's something to consider if you want to throw more things at them, though the current makeup of two martial bros sounds pretty fun if they work off each other well.
>>
File: 1465096801347.jpg (345KB, 986x806px) Image search: [Google]
1465096801347.jpg
345KB, 986x806px
>>51438003
They do work well off each other, but they've both hated the idea of multiple characters whenever I ask them about it.

Also, I've done some rolling and thinking, and I wonder what the hell kind of defenses would a Divination Wizard come up with?
>>
>Decide to run a one-off session with a group of friends
>Characters are goofy but not outrageous: Monk pro wrestler, Bard as his promoter, Kenku rogue, Human dual-weilding shields
>Last friend comes up, notorious for playing pathfinder forever, pitches his idea
"Hey it says here that Air Genasi can hold their breath forever. Can I hide in a bag of holding then?"
>After a while, he becomes "The bag of holding, with a gun"

I have a good feeling about this one-off session.
>>
File: Poisons.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Poisons.pdf
1B, 486x500px
hey, cun/tg/uzzlers...

One of my players is gonna be playing an assassin in our upcoming game, and we both want to play around with poison and the poisoner's kit, so I tossed this together as an rough sketch.

I want poisons to be available to him but don't want them to become trivial or overused. I also don't want them to be impractically expensive or time-consuming to prepare (so the standard crafting rules had to go... 20 days and 100 gp to make a basic poison that sells for... 100 gp).
>>
New thread lads >>51438113
>>
>>51437518
https://vimeo.com/39114507
>>
>>51437345
Well draconic sorcerers get a naked AC of 13+dex for having scales. Skills and stuff don't seem OP but I'm wondering why your half dragons are so versatile as a race.
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.