[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here shamelessly cribs from and near plagiarizes tons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Makaan.jpg (37KB, 774x503px) Image search: [Google]
Makaan.jpg
37KB, 774x503px
Who else here shamelessly cribs from and near plagiarizes tons of sources when creating a new campaign?

My current set of players are allied with a renamed Makaan from homeworld, chasing Mcguffins that are scarcely changed from Full Metal Alchemist, are facing villains mainly inspired by Pillars of Eternity, and are doing it all within a plot shell resembling Disney's Atlantis.

Given that no one has called me out on it, and they all seem to be having fun, I'm not worrying about it for the moment. Anyone else build campaigns this way?
>>
File: 1253324059629.jpg (131KB, 766x552px) Image search: [Google]
1253324059629.jpg
131KB, 766x552px
>>51419905
>>Given that no one has called me out on it, and they all seem to be having fun, I'm not worrying about it for the moment.

Because you're doing it right. Borrowing elements from a setting makes it familiar and comfy. It's only when everything is from a single setting, or obviously stolen and not even renamed, that the faggotry sets in.

Besides, Makaan wasn't shit except in the fluff. In-game, apart from some monologuing he didn't do a damn thing worth remembering.
>>
Yeah man, that's more or less how it's done. My current campaign is a hodgepodge of Metal Gear Solid, Bad Company, Halo, and Mass Effect.
>>
>>51420096
One of the elements I've introduced into this game is "truesight", which is effectively the ability to visualize probabilities for the near future, ala the Zero system from Gundam Wing.

Much like the Zero system, using this ability (which is extraordinarily hard to acquire) usually drives a person insane rather quickly, and is thus used sparingly even for those who can.

Makaan in this game is a desert corsair warlord who through an odd series of events has permanent truesight, meaning he's batshit insane, but in a subtle way.

I thought this would would with the "believes he is the chosen one" and "psychic mongol warlord" elements of his character.
>>
>>51420140
>I am Big Boss and this is my favorite base in Reach.
>>
>>51420181
That makes a surprising amount of sense.
>>
>>51420181
So far this hasn't happened. We've spent most of the campaign operating on a planet that is essentially the Middle East/Africa, but with aliens.
>>
>>51419905
One benefit to being a native born Brit GMing for yanks is that you can shamelessly steal from old, pre-reboot Doctor Who and they never figure it out. We've been playing Call of Cthulhu for two years straight.
>>
>>51422492
Don't know why, but I never could get into any form of Doctor Who. I think it was because of the insufferable female fangirls of the show who I grew up with.

In your CoC, is burning/purging the correct solution to most problems?
>>
>>51419905
Dude, most RPGs explicitly recommend ripping off absolutely everything you can because the goal is to have fun, not to write an original story
>>
>>51422688
Shoot, karate chop and explode your way through insane humans all day, but the big monsters typically need trickery to defeat.
>>
>>51422754
Sounds good. In my D & D campaigns, usually its strength and coordination that beats minibosses, but full on villains are only reasonable to tackle if you've figured out their weakness.

For instance, the current villain is a crazy tyrant, but the source of his madness is that a certain anti-hero the party encountered somehow managed to ascend to god-hood instead of him. As such, I'm feeding them hints that maybe trying to fuck up his ascension ritual (in any way they think of) might be a better method than kick-door kill guy.
>>
>>51419905
>Who else here shamelessly cribs from and near plagiarizes tons of sources when creating a new campaign?
you and literally everyone else.

Name one (1) person who ever came up with something original
>>
>>51422829
Asexual female demons from venus who invade to teach us that friendship is what really matters.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.