[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Coming up with ideas for stuff, DMing, characters, anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1440134253906.png (121KB, 281x385px) Image search: [Google]
1440134253906.png
121KB, 281x385px
>Coming up with ideas for stuff, DMing, characters, anything
>hit gold with an original idea and start to develop it
>realize it's just a slight modification of something else way more popular
>>
>half year spent on detailed campaign
>players still consider you talentless hack, since main twist similar to plot of vidya released last week
>>
>>51407165
>>51407224

Good artists copy, great artists steal
>>
>>51407165
dont worry too much about being original, just focus on refining the idea and making sure it all goes smoothly

it is much better to have a simple concept executed well, than it is to have an "original" idea that is all over the place

and really we have gone 2000 years with the exact same Heroes Journey and no one complains, you'll be fine
>>
File: variks.jpg (252KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
variks.jpg
252KB, 2048x1152px
>>51407165
>Get this idea that I want to portray the drow as the remnants of a once-noble and highly magically advanced race.
>Want to portray them now as desperately clinging to a shadow of their former nobility even as they've been forced to resort to petty piracy and raids against the surface just to survive.
>Get told this is basically the Fallen from Destiny (A game a knew nothing about until I looked it up to see if this was true).

Life is suffering.
>>
I knew a guy who played a character with a barbed wire bat with a feminine name, and was a cunning barbarian.

Said guy was kicked into the dirt when TWD presented negan, so it's what it is.
>>
>>51407287
>Which is just the Eldar from 40k

Life is suffering
>>
File: 000_0910.jpg (111KB, 478x594px) Image search: [Google]
000_0910.jpg
111KB, 478x594px
>>51407165
Reminds me of a story I read years ago:

>be GM
>spend months building a modern world based on real myths and legends
>run engaging campaign around a mysterious mcguffin
>session finally ties plot points together and reveals mcguffin is the Spear of Longinus which-
>players deride you and yell out that your plot is directly stolen from the previous night's episode of Witchblade, which you don't watch.
>wut

This story is made more horrible and funny to me since the spear has been used a dozen more times in tv & movies since then.
>>
>>51407165
As long as it's actually good, I usually just make sure that player's don't know or won't get the "original" source and go with it. No idea is 100% fresh any more OP.
>>
I "came up" with a survivalplot in a planetspanning walmart that's slowly decaying and contains millions of years of science-fictional weaponry and technology, just decayed to near unusability. After years lurking /tg/ and months reading the archives, I still somehow missed Walpocalypse. In my pride, I actually made a thread. My first thread. First reply is the superior and entirely fluffed out walpocalypse that was made long before I had my idea.
I'm ended
I'm ded
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.