[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 32

File: move by the left flank general.jpg (187KB, 750x908px) Image search: [Google]
move by the left flank general.jpg
187KB, 750x908px
Last thread:
>>51360392

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Repetitive strategies, what games seem to always devolve into the same old shit for you /bgg/? Any house rules/changes/suggestions to fix this problem? Is there a problem with optimal opening/finishing moves or is it ok as long as the bulk of the game is interesting and varies?
>>
>>51405357
>>51405357
In Battlestar Galactica, we gjave a player who's really good at playing a Cylon, so we send him to the brig first chance we get then just roll the dice whether he's really a traitor or not.
>>
>>51406780
Maan I wish i had people to play BSG with
>>
Which is the best version of Risk? Or, what would be the best alternative to Risk?
>>
>>51406935
Lord of the Rings Trillogy edition with the BBG variant
>>
>>51405357
During some Holidays, we played three weeks of Werewolf twice a day with the exact same persons, going through the exact same process all the time (kill this person, ask this person for werewolvery, denounce this person) but obviously with random cards all the time so that the process was fucked up and never "perfect", twas pretty weird and repetitive but it created something pretty cool nonetheless.

Love Letter, first round is always "guard, left neighbour, you have a baron" for all players, anyone who doesn't do that must have the princess. We all convinced ourselves it's a golden strategy when of course it's ridiculous but heh, collective mind.
>>
Quick, what should I get for this weekend, DOOM or retail version of Conan?
>>
>>51406935
Maybe risk legacy or kemet?
>>
>>51407174
DooM
Conan has to many kickstarter exclusives to buy retail.
>>
Anybody got a suggestion for alternatives to jungle speed? I really want this game but its kinda pricey/hard to find...

closest things i know of are rainbow rage and set.

halp? thanks in advance!
>>
>>51407384
oh snap i just realized i didn't check bgg marketplace haha, apparently its on there for a fair price so i guess im ok. Still curious if there are any similar games im unaware of though! :)

also, any opinions on original jungle speed vs safari?
>>
which race for the galaxy expansions should i be getting?
>>
>>51407384
>Jungle Speed
>Hard to find
Where are you from?
If its europe you can get the German version for like 20$, which is a fair and cheap price.
>>
>>51407465
Tbh race is best without expansions. The objectives are lame and the new cards don't add much of an experience.

Roll's is worth it though. Not a fan of the extra dove as they confuse new players, but the additional tiles add a lot to the variety of the game
>>
>>51407571
Yeah i actually found a couple copies on bgg market that are for a fair price, my bad. Failed to do some proper research before posting lol in any case im still interested in similar games if you know of any?
>>
I'm a total newb, haven"t really played board games since childhood. This christmas we got Evolution with my gf and we love it. So could you help me select my next purchase? I would like some entry-level eurogame with decent strategy, good replayability, ok with 2 players only but suitable for more, and most importantly something that will not put us off. Maybe one of the following:
Stone Age
Puerto Rico
Agricola
Carcassonne
Catan
Or anything else in the same price range.
(I know i should get most of those classics, I'm just asking what to get first)
>>
>>51408133
>I'm a total newb, haven"t really played board games since childhood. This christmas we got Evolution with my gf and we love it. So could you help me select my next purchase?
Find a group, play their games for a bit. You have no information about what you like.
>>
File: 1443972893758.png (42KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1443972893758.png
42KB, 592x533px
Just got War of the Ring and Growing Hunger (expansion for LNoE) for my birthday.

I'm probably going to be broke because of board games.
>>
>>51408133
Castles of burgundy
>>
>>51408133
PR is mostly 3-5 players. Never tried the 2p variant but it seems like they didnt design around that. Catan is 3-4 players, so its weird to pick too.

To be honest I find most games that go from 2 players to X either not fun as multiplayer game or as heads up game. Since in 3+ players there is an element of ganging up on stronger players and letting a weak player catch up, while 1v1 games are as much about holding back someone else as it is about improving your own game.
>>
>>51408227
I'll put that on my list of maybes, thanks.
>>51408324
Thanks! I will check out some duel style games as well than.
>>51408207
There is a store nearby where they let the customer try stuff out, they also have game nights. I'm just don't know if it is ok to go to one of those with 0 experience on the subject.
>>
>>51408440
Go to the store, first time is a bit awkward but most board gamers are chill.
From my experience playing with a girlfriend is different from playing with the guys, and like someone here said there aren't many great 1v1 games that transition into 3+.

Give Splendor a try, and do go to that place and try as many games as you possibly can.
Also don't just buy shit, research and try and get your hands on a test run either from someone from a Meet Up, Facebook, LFGS, or w/e.
>>
>>51408440
Usually they are happy to help and get new players. Also the people working there can give you some advice on what games you might like. The only problem is that if you played no games at all you cant really say what parts you like to see in a game. So you just have to try some games out and see which games you like and which not.
>>
>>51408133
Carcassone is a great game no matter what and very user friendly. It's simple and easy to teach to anyone. It's probably better with 3+ but it still works with 2. I've taught and played it with just my gf a couple of times
>>
>>51407767
we just feel like we want the game to last longer.

there is always someone that starts seeing that his best shot at winning is to quickly get 12 buildings with decent VP.
>>
>>51408133
star realms
>>
>>51407767
xeno invasion has a 8.0 on bbg. have you played that one ?
>>
File: What do you Meme.jpg (56KB, 960x868px) Image search: [Google]
What do you Meme.jpg
56KB, 960x868px
>>51405357
Damnit /bgg/ what did you! WHAT DID YOU DO!?!
>>
File: Team America Vomit 2.gif (971KB, 450x188px) Image search: [Google]
Team America Vomit 2.gif
971KB, 450x188px
>>51410148
>>
>>51410148
MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>51410148
What did he meme by this?
>>
Huge fan of Tower Defenses in computer gaming, is Castle Panic as td-y as it seems? Anyone has some input?
>>
>>51405357
TI3 always opens with every 2carrier race grabbing a ton of planets and using the production to stay ahead forever. I always win because I get Support for the Thrones using a complex web of game theory moves during Assembly. It's such a boring way to win but no one can stop me. We love assembly but might have to switch back to political because of it.
>>
>>51410148
It's like an actual, physical version of 9gag.
>>
>>51409660
Seconding. $10-15 for hundreds of hours of strategy that will force you to get better every time you play. I've played at least 1000 games now and my strategies have gotten so abstract I can't remember why newbs make certain decisions.
>>
>>51410148
Blame the publishers/designers, not the players here. They're the ones who thinks shit like that will sell to the masses.
>>
>>51410546
Which is exactly why we should blame the players. Maybe if enough weren't braindead fucktards but nope, lowest common denominator.
>>
>>51410675
Implying anyone here buys in to the cards against humanity exploding kittens style of game design
>>
>>51410469
I've got Castle Panic but I wouldn't it's too similar to tower defense. They're similar in the way that you have hordes of monsters rushing from all sides to destroy whatever your territory is. The difference is in tower defense you place down an obstacle and then sit back and watch while in castle panic you have to sacrifice cards/men to damage the monsters. Each soldier card can only be used in a certain area of the board so that adds some strategy to the game. You also have cards to reinforce your castle walls or to delay the approach of enemies. Castle Panic is a co-op game so you can trade cards between players to try and get the most out of a turn.

It's a pretty simple and fun light game I think. It's a lot simpler and lighter than Pandemic for example but there are still a few tense moments in the game. I'd also say that it's heavier than Forbidden Island if you've played that one. You pull tiles out randomly when you are placing down new enemies and a few of them are designed to screw over the players which can take a perfectly thought out plan and throw it out the window. I haven't played in a few years but iirc I'd say I've won more times than I've lost but I have lost enough to be memorable.

It's not going to be the game you pull out and play all night long but it's a quick (hour playtime I think?) and simple game that you and friends (or just you if you're forever alone) can play and probably enjoy.
>>
>>51410733
I've seen people defend Cosmic Encounter and Shadow Hunters.
>>
>>51410469
My only input is that having "true" TD in a board game would be hard (because it's hard to have HP in board games).

I have a vague idea of making a TD/deckbuilder hybrid that I think would kind of work but... yeah.

You should also check out Ghost Stories.
>>
>>51410469
Take a look at Neuroshima: Convoy.
It generally gets medium to favorable reviews and is often described as feeling like a tower defense.
>>
Top 3 games?

Mine are:

1) Agricola
2) Race for the Galaxy
3) Dominion
>>
>>51411156
Terra Mystica
Terraforming Mars
Voyages of Marco Polo
>>
Machi Koro.
Yay or nay?
I thought about buying it for the girl since she love Splendor, and it has the same idea of building an engine just with a bit more luck in the equation.
>>
>>51411188
>a bit more luck
Nothing but luck. May as well go play game of life.
>>
>>51411156
Millenium Blades
Thunderstone Advance
Spectre Ops
>>
>>51411188
Machi Koro is VERY random. But it does it relatively well with keeping everybody involved in everyone else's turns. If you're okay with VERY random gameplay then it's just fine.

If you're looking for another shortish, easy engine building game take a look at Arcadia. It's pretty good.
>>
>>51411447
How good is spectre ops? Replayable? Easy to teach? FUN GAMEPLAY?
>>
>>51410148
The little girl in that picture is quite well known. is this legal?
>>
>>51410815
Oh boy, here we go with this shit again.
>>
File: 1485401515466.jpg (63KB, 519x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485401515466.jpg
63KB, 519x500px
>>51410815
>People aren't allowed to enjoy fun games
>>
>>51411726
buzzword alert
post invalid
>>
>>51411480
The game is extremely easy to teach and straight forward. I'll do it right here for you.

-The agent wins if they active three of the four objectives and then escape.
-The hunters win if they kill the agent or run out the fourty turn clock
-Turns alternate between the agent and the team of hunters.
-When i'ts your turn you move up to four spaces
-The agent writes their moves down on a paper pad while the hunters have their figures on the board.
-If the agent is visible in a straight up/down/left/right line (no diagonals) from the hunters either at the end of the agent movement or at the end of a hunter's movement, then the agent has to place their figure on the board
-Hunters attack an agent they can see (orthagonal to and unobstructed) by rolling a six sided die and comparing the result to the number of spaces away If you equal or exceed the distance then you hit the agent for 1 damage
-The agent completes an objective by being next to it at the start of their turn

There, that's the rules. Everything else is setup, equipment, particulars about some board elements, and special rules of the unique hunters/agents.
>>
>>51411572
Well, she's not in nude or any otherwise "risque" situation, so I would imagine it is legal. Maybe not in Australia.
>>
>>51411480
>>51411772
As for the other questions, I find it very replayable since there's four unique agents and four unique hunters so there's quite a few combinations as well as it being relatively shortish (around an hour when you're comfortable with the game)

And this is the hidden movement game I've had the most fun with because both the hunters and agent have fixed starting locations so you always have some form of lead meaning there's always pressure and tension, and it doesn't drag on to 3+ hours like fury of dracula. Plus its super simple rules allow you to focus on the hunt and not tons of interlocking game mechanics that break the tension.
>>
>>51411786
But is it legal to sell a picture of someone else without consent just because you find the picture on the internet? If I made a game called hot or not and just filled it with images of profile pictures from various websites, you think there's nothing stopping that?
>>
>>51411447
>Specter Ops
muh nigga

>>51411480
I've unfortunately only been able to play it once but I think it has potential to be a really fun game if I can get my friends into it. One issue you could say is that if one side is much more calculating and plans out more than the others than that side should have no trouble winning. I've only played 1v1 where my friend playing the hunters had two hunters to control. I ended up steamrolling him and only getting hit once because I used a smoke grenade to slip across the board and left him in the dust.

Granted, that was his first time playing the game and he didn't know what all equipment I could have had. So I'd imagine that it'd be a lot of fun and really intense with a group who knew everything that the other side could do.
>>
Have any of you guys played Orléans? I picked it up today and am looking forward to play a 4 player game this sunday. Read the rules and watched a few reviews and the game seems solid. So far I like at least the art-style, something in it just really hits my comfy-nerve
>>
File: I want to buy the little girl.jpg (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
I want to buy the little girl.jpg
92KB, 400x400px
>>51411572
>is this legal?
>>
>>51408133
Check out Istambul
>>
>>51410785
Really? That much simpler? Because I already feel that Pandemic rides the line on being too simple at time.
>>51410840
Yeah, I think capturing the feeling is what I was going for, it's not like I'm expecting a 1:1 copy of gameplay, thanks for the input
>>51410899
Will do!
>>
>>51410546
It was crowd-funded. We should definately hate the players.
>>
>>51410469
a TD-style game that's been on my wishlist for ages is The King's Armory, it looks pretty neat but I'm not sure about its replayability
>>
File: 139955.jpg (25KB, 450x323px) Image search: [Google]
139955.jpg
25KB, 450x323px
Played Gloom recently and I fucking loved it.

What are some similar games with a storytelling angle? I know Munchkin and Once Upon a Time, but is there anything else similar?
>>
>>51411156
1) Scythe
2) Eclipse
3) Glory to Rome
>>
>>51415092
When I said that Castle Panic is simpler I meant that there is less going on at all points in the game. It's easier to win in Castle Panic, there are less "lose conditions" (you lose if all 6 inner towers are destroyed, that's it), there are less things to keep track of, there are no chain reactions that require you to be careful not to over or under count. Castle panic usually has maybe one or two threats on the board at a time whereas Pandemic can have 5+ depending on how things go.

Castle Panic is more laid back where you usually have less of a chance of input overload.
>>
>>51415430
>Munchkin
>Storytelling angle
You wot mate?

What's Gloom like? I've always wanted to play it but I haven't had a chance yet.
>>
>>51416260
Not that previous guy but I own it so: Really absolutely depends on the people you play it with. It's a great game all the time and I've had a blast each time, but the actual plays felt very differently, from actually trying to put a story together to Whil Wheaton's Tabletop-levels of utter bullshit (it was at my flatmate's birthday and people asked me if I was down for a game).

Also: Fuck yeah, I have my copy of Santorini sitting here and waiting for an opponent, along with four others I have to deliver to their respective owners. It's a thing of beauty.
>>
File: 1459478670529.jpg (89KB, 512x382px) Image search: [Google]
1459478670529.jpg
89KB, 512x382px
>>51407174
DOOM is fun as heck, but I haven't played conan
>>
>tfw too smart to play board games
>>
>>51417126
Come on, two days in a row? It's not that slow in here.
>>
>>51416201
Tell me about Scythe and Eclipse.

I own Caverna but want a game where combat is an option / there is more player interaction. I've heard ppl say Scythe either has a lot or very little interaction.
>>
File: 1389146306950.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1389146306950.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>>51417126
> mfw trolls to stupid to come up with even 1/10 level bait...
>>
I got a guy who has the 500$ kickstarter pledge for dungeon sage that he's wanting to let go of. It's mostly a trade, maybe some cash also going his way.

So how does it stack up against, say, descent 2e? Conan? The others?

I know I certainly have grown to dislike descent 2e, and watching what few videos there are (that dice tower review is awful. I want a nice concise review, not a how to play), it seems pretty promising.

So...yeah. Thoughts on dungeon saga?
>>
>>51416574
I tried watching the tabletop episode of gloom but I closed my browser in the first five minutes. Holy fuck I can't believe I actually used to enjoy watching that shitfest
>>
>>51417333
Eclipse is mostly about avoiding conflict as much as possible until the last 2 turns where you blast each other to hell. There's not much player interaction until then in the base game, you just go around exploring new planets, killing aliens, and buying tech until everyone has ships loaded with plasma missiles. The players who do engage in earlier interplayer conflict will fall behind because they wasted actions and money on fighting rather than research or exploring. The game is fun enough for a couple times, but it's like a Cold war simulator without any of the actual political intrigue or player interaction, and lots of down time between players. Would have been better as a co-op game
>>
>>51411156
Twilight Struggle
Rex
Lord of Waterdeep
>>
File: lolfagit.jpg (54KB, 800x441px) Image search: [Google]
lolfagit.jpg
54KB, 800x441px
>>51417126
>tfw dumb fuck has no face
>>
>>51419153
>Being this shit at eclipse.
Don't talk if you're a retarded scrub desu.

High level eclipse usually features players switching sides of the board due to how aggressive they play.

You can look it up on youtube, people play eclipse competitively.
>>
>>51419425
>tfw
is that feel when
>mfw
is my face when
>>
>>51410469
I think Stronghold is somewhat Tower Defensey.
>>
>>51416231
I see. Thanks for clearing.
>>51415368
Replayability?
>>51420537
Will take a look! Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
that feeling when you punch and organize a new game
>>
>>51421133
What game?
>>
>>51421644
Falling Sky.
>>
File: IMG_3751.jpg (526KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3751.jpg
526KB, 736x414px
Want to purchase a fantasy dungeon crawl and was thinking between RuneBound or Warhammer Quest. Which would you choose?
>>
I hear a lot of you talking about Millennium Blades.

I like self contained card games that are easy to get into without a ton of terminology to learn.

I also like economics and trading, so the "buy" phase has a lot of appeal to me.

Is there any red pill you guys can feed me on this game or give/show me a good let's play or whatever?
Is the base set fine? I've seen new expansions on the lvl 99 site and wonder if those are good too?

Thanks friends.
>>
>>51421644
Small World
>>
>new top 10 video
>opens with Sam shitting on KD:M
It's gonna be a good day
>>
>>51423227
>two and a half bald men
wgaf
>>
>>51423227
Since when has Sam's opinion ever mattered?
>>
>>51421076
Defense Grid: The Board Game
>>
>>51423227
>some guy who sucks jesus's cock
>hates a game that involves sex and brutal combat
who ever would have seen that coming
>>
How the fuck is one supposed to get board games in Australia.

Just saw Millennium Blades. Looks sick but no retailer will ever stock it in this trash country and postage is like $40+
>>
>>51424009
Games Paradise has it for 130 AUD with free postage.
>>
>>51424210
Says to "try later"

The reprint is shipping to backers soon, isn't it? Will some copies find their way to retailers?
>>
A guy brought Adrenaline at my LGS and described it was "FPS in a board game form" and I was quite skeptical of that description but boy was he spot on.

It's like you're playing Quake/Unreal Tournament in board game form.
>>
>>51424333
Heard the same about Frag.
>>
>>51424333
Played it once didn't like it.

If you want to have fun you'll get shafted.

If you want to autistically and painstakingly do the optimal play you'll have to spend a loooong time taking your turns (because the board game can change state so rapidly that you can't think on your opponents turn) and even if you score optimally every round it still falls back to luck.
>>
>>51410840
It would be simple. Use thick double chits for creeps and towers where the top chit spins with a bottom window. Now it can track position and hp. As for tower upgrades, just put 8 square tile slots around each position. Include several double sided boards for variety.
>>
>>51424375

>frag
>anything like a fps

I mean, thematically yes, but if you want something that plays like an arena/fast paced shooter, you're better off actually playing it in vidya form. I've yet to see a system that pulled off the feel in the slightest.
>>
>>51424254
I'm not aware of any delay between the backers and the retailers. They should both hit middle of February.
>>
>>51425231
Cool, cheers.
>>
>>51423227
No matter how many videos I watch I still can't stand tom
>>
>>51426189
I can't stand any of them.
>>
>>51423227
>all i see is that it's at the highest board game spot, and gross models
Way to be inquisitive, Sam.
>>
I'm not sure which is more scary - the fact that someone is asking $239 for a set of Scythe minis that have been painted to a mediocre level, or the fact that 2 people are watching the auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scythe-hand-painted-figures-for-Scyhte-Board-Game-from-Stonemaier-Games-/182428640252?hash=item2a799823fc:g:UUoAAOSw4DJYgmHU
>>
>>51426663
Looks like something I would be proud of not having ever painted minis before.
>>
>>51426663
>buy super hyped game
>spend max two hours painting the minis
>split them up into multiple auctions
>idiots/hipsters/casuals cum in their pants and pay me
>still keep the other components and play the game with minis i like better anyway
sounds like a smart fucking move senpai
>>
>>51426663
Oh damn, I thought that was for the game included. Hell, you could buy the game, pay someone to paint your miniatures and still come out ahead.
>>
>>51426778
>play the game with minis i like better anyway

So what minis would those be then? Have a care anon, for if you choose poorly, you know what will happen.
>>
>>51426817
considering I'm making 250x4 selling my bullshit painted originals i don't think there is a wrong choice. that said id probably finally paint my konflikt 47 and use those
>>
Gloomhaven is in the hands of the US fulfillment center. Hype is reaching dangerous levels.
>>
>>51426974
what kind of faggot goes out of their way to post something this uninteresting?
inb4 the same kind of faggot who wastes his time responding
>>
>>51423227
>so much hate for codenames
They can't be right...can they?
>>
How do I get good at Dominion? Every time I feel like I've finally got my action cards down but then everyone else starts rushing to end the game, and I don't have time to buy victory points.
>>
>>51427699
>notice someone is grabbing good action cards
>better end the game quick
learn to adapt and play a tactically sound game. sounds like what your opponents are doing.
>>
>>51427699
Don't bother, go play something better instead.
>>
>>51427729
Fuck people who want to improve games they like, right brother?
*tips fedora*
>>
>>51427744
Godamnit, I'm going to perfect my shit-eating technique and buy the fanciest spoon. I bet I can get the exact angle down for maximum effect, what do you mean I'm still just eating shit, fuck you.
>>
>>51427776
Taste is subjective. There are people irl who choose to eat their own shit. Someday you just might read a book and learn something. Until then have fun shitposting about things you dislike anon. You're nearly adequate at it.
>>
>>51427799
Did, did you just defend eating fecel matter?
>>
>>51427829
No, I pointed out your horrible metaphor. But I see you took my advice about continuing to shitpost to heart. Good for you, making your own decisions is an important part of developing into an adult. (Don't worry, I won't report you for being underage on this site.)
>>
>>51423779
Holy shit i love defense grid. Thanks for the heads up, will take a look!
>>
>>51427852
>the equivalent of calling someone "son"
Aaaaand you're done.
>>
>>51427723
When should I generally start buying victory points? I usually start by trying to upgrade to silver so I can buy stuff.
>>
>>51427869
Again, my advice was to adapt to what everyone else is doing. If they start buying points right away, pay attention to how much silver they already have and try to gauge their point buying potential. If they seem to be trying to build decks first, take the initiative and put them on a clock by buying points. If you're looking for starting strategies you can blindly follow you can probably probably find some on google.
>>
>>51423779
Holy shit i love defense grid. Thanks for the heads up, will take a look!
>>
>>51427869
You've basically lost from the start. If your card plan isn't the most optimised before you've even started (and you average out the luck) then someone else has already won and it's simply a matter of boring your way through the game until the end. This is why dominion is shit and you should just go play a better game instead.
>>
>>51427964
Like Tanto Cuore.
>>
>>51427979
>tell friends you love dominion so you did lots of research about deck builders
>say you've found the best, a hidden gem few people know of
>hype up mechanics like its rules were written by gods dick
>have game dealt out when they arrive
>the sexy theme of tanto cuore will ensure that your gaming group will finally cross the threshold into physical demonstrations of your bond
>after the copulation play a damn solid deck building game with cute anime art
This is the dream anon. Go live it.
>>
>>51427537

>calling code names trash

I might just have to sit down and watch that video now. I'd love to hear the reasoning on that one.

Better not be "it forces social cooperation".
>>
>>51428076
Mostly it's just sam whining that looking at some words for half an hour isn't fun.
>>
>>51428398
>reading isn't fun
Southern half of the US really is a fucking shithole
>>
>>51428076

I seem to recall a previous video in which he said you can play Codenames by randomly reading words in a newspaper.

Sam's arguments never hold much weight.
>>
>>51427537
>>51428076
Its like you people still haven't realized they sometimes just shit on games with no reason.

Something just doesn't sit well with them and they just straight out shit on a game and can ruin the reputation of some small game because its not christian enough for them, or they don't understand a mechanic, which is fucking stupid seeing as they reviewed so many games.
>>
>>51428604
Codenames is all about metagaming. And /tg/ frowns upon metagaming.
>>
>>51428604
>religious fanatics
>reasonable people
pick only one
>>
>>51428398

Kind if skimmed the video. Man, Sam has to be the least liked of the bunch, he seems like such a cock.

>(regarding kdm) "I've actually never played it but it's bad"

That not quite accurate but close enough. Sounds like he's just being spineless and not be up front about why he doesn't like it. I think he slipped in the words gross models, but if he feels that way why not just say so instead of dancing around.

>"people only talk about it (KDM) when kickstarter comes up"

Because it's stupid expensive, and a lot of people don't own it. I've heard nothing but good about it from the people who bought it. Some expansions are bad, some rules are bad (which they're fixing in the new edition), but everyone is generally satisfied with the game

>that codenames part

I really feel like he's just not a very social person. Like, the kind of guy who's incapable of playing games with people outside his core group. Really feels like he doesn't like it because the social skills involved.

>Tom almost seems to express sadness at warhammer fantasy getting killed

He got a minor boost in respect from me about that. Still don't like him as a whole though

Also, dude on the left seems to be by far the coolest of the bunch. Was nice to hear someone else think splendor is shit because it has zero theme. This is only a thing to me because I've had people tell me (people who loved the game) that there's plenty of theme and I'm just not seeing it.
>>
>>51428510
Sam is garbage both in opinions and his attempt to be funny 'LOL JUS TRYIN TO KEP IT RALE' trying to force his catchphrases like a shitty 80s tv show.

Tom is a mixed bag because ultimately he's just a very big child with his opinions. While entertaining to watch he can get overhyped for games and love them despite massive flaws or dislike things because or some weird niche reason. But at the very least he doesn't pretend that his opinions are objective.

Zee a best. He's not a giant self-important douche all the time like Sam is and he rags on on the mega-fat all the time. His personality works well and feels natural on camera. Plus he has an actual functional sense of dry humor.
>>
>>51428658
>Splendor
>Theme
Sure the Art is nice and the poker chips are awesome, but Splendor has no Theme.
Drawing a couple of nobles & jewels doesn't cut it.

Its still a great game for what it does, but it has no theme.

Anyone here has played Inis and can recommend? I really enjoyed Kemet and Inis seems like a step in the same direction, just a little deeper in the thought process, Kemet is fun for a light strategy dudes on map game, but Inis seems to actually require a bit more brain power.
>>
>>51428717
some people just dickride things they like so hard that they either cannot or will not see the faults in them

i love splendor, but of course i know it has no theme. i saw a cool retime of it once where the gems were resources like oxygen, plants, fuel, etc and the mines were planets that you could "colonize" by using the resources. thats about as theme heavy i think as you could make splendor and its still almost nonexistent
>>
I just want to play Twilight Imperium, but my normie friends can't play anything more complex than Lords of Waterdeep.
>>
>>51429133
try to find a board game meet up near you or start talking to people at an lgs. a lot of people want to play ti but have a hard time finding groups, there are probably more of them in your area if there is any kind of bg scene at all
>>
What is with board games and HP Lovecraft
>>
>>51429213
Same thing video games have with Tolkin.
It's already established, it sells well & it caters to nostalgia fags.
>>
>>51429213
>nerds like board games
>millennials copy nerd culture
>millennials love HP Lovecraft
>millennials as a whole have incredible buying power
and now we get a new cthulhu game every other month. hooray.
>>
>>51429213
Pulbic domain, mayne
>>
>>51429336
Public domain that is
>>
>>51419490
Sorry. Only played it maybe a dozen times and that's eventually the strategy my group landed on. Mind linking some competitive eclipse games? Not that I doubt you, there just doesn't seem to be anything about it on YouTube
>>
anyone try gamebox? Its like a subscription service where they send you a game a month based on what you picked. I got one for christmas and so far theyve sent me suttakku and BattleCON War of Indines
>>
>>51429361
>Its like a subscription service where they send you a game a month based on what you picked

Going to be garbage. Just like every single other instance of these things, it's just a way for them to shift warehouse crap they wouldn't be able to move in a month of sundays.
>>
>>51429361
i took one look at the examples they gave on their site of games they've sent in the past and wrote it off as shit

plus >>51429469
>>
>>51429498
Are the games I've received so far any good?
>>
>>51429579
>took one look at examples
>wrote it off as shit
what about this post makes you think i gave them my money?
>>
>>51429579
BattleCON is really good.
No idea about suttakku.
>>
>>51429620
I'm asking if you recognized the games I named obviosuly
>>
>>51429756
Oh shit ya I totally read your post wrong, my bad. BattleCON is cool, not really my cup of tea but it is a well made game which I've heard gets better if you have a regular opponent.

Never heard of the other one desu
>>
>>51417126
Understandable for modern boardgames. You should try some older ones That aren't just dice fest model wanks with 2 minute rules.
>>
>>51429361
If the MRSP of the games you get each month is on average higher than your subscription, it's probably fine. Getting a 15 dollar game for 30 per month would feel bad though, unless you don't care what games you get you're probably better off keeping the money and buying only when you need to.
>>
>>51429361
It's way too much for what you get. Occasionally you're paying less for something good but on average, you're just paying too much for something you didn't want. Board games fluctuate too much in quality to leave to chance.
>>
>>51427964
>>51427699
Look at the kingdom cards and see if you can make a shuffle deck go for that, if not get the smithy (or labs) and then buy gold until you can buy provinces. Then buy gold if you cant buy a province, buy province if you can.
>>
>>51431018
>>51431122
Well I believe it was a deal of 75$ for three months and i got a 20$ game and a 30$ game so so far its on par but it was a gift so just asked to make sure the giver didn't get tricked.
>>
>>51431211
So atleast a 20$ game for it to not be a ripoff essentially. Atleast you got BattleCON instead of something cheap like Love Letter.
>>
>>51431256
Yeah, BattleCON was a good haul from that. I dunno, I would never stake my money on it but as a gift from someone who doesn't know boardgames as well as you but know they want to get you boardgames, it makes a good gift.
>>
Should I get Blood Rage? I've read that it is overrated.
>>
>>51430823
>old games
>not being dicefests
Sure the models are new but the dice bullshit was there too
>>
>>51423227
Sam is the worst. He passes judgement on games long before he even looks into it, most often related to his bible thumping morals. I like Tom but mostly as an anti /bgg/. He can get over excited, but /bgg/ can become a /v/ level hate train at times.

Zee seems like a cool guy. He likes lighter games, but would play games with him.
>>
>>51431812
Its different than I expected. I expected some viking blood and plunderfest. But instead it is mostly passiveaggressive area control until someone starts plundering. It feels like it tries to take all the popular game mechanics and bring them together with a viking sauce. You have models, you have drafting, you have fighting, some stats and resource management. Overall it is mostly a bunch of mechanics done lightly, rather than a few really indepth. It is nice if you have some people that arent super into boardgames but are willing to try something and you want to put something down which impresses. There are pretty models for them to look at, there is some fighting, some big fuck you cards, and after 1 game already people can get a vague idea of what they are supposed to be doing and play it again.
>>
>>51431812
I love it but it takes a lot of people off guard. It is not the area control game you expect and there's no resources or anything apart from what you're pillaging for. You're just fighting to level up your army pretty much so you can win more points in future fights and all your resources to fight with come from the drafting phase. Movement is abstracted so no ones really blocking you, you spawn units basically anywhere you want sept for the middle area, and you never directly attack a player. Someone says they pillage a space and any surrounding spaces with enemy units get a chance to say they want to pillage it too and then a fight happens.
>>
>>51431999
reverse satanic trips speak the truth, you can always count on a religious zealot to pass judgement before attempting to understand anything

Relevant captcha (yes I still use it): For Sale Arcadia
>>
>>51431999
>passes judgment based on his bible thumping morals.
I think he's a terrible reviewer, but I can't think of a single explicit instance of this.
>>
>>51432951
He didn't like CitOW because the theme was too dark for him, which made people angry. He also puts Christian themed games into some of his top 5/10 lists. I can't speak to the games he's praised as I haven't played them but I enjoy CitOW while still recognizing it won't appeal to most gamers. Having a flayed human skin map is gonna be a tough sell.

I can't watch his solo reviews, but I think he helps Tom/Zee bantering back and forth/playing devil's advocate at times.
>>
>Reading one star reviews of Betrayal at House on the Hill on Amazon for kicks
>All these normies complaining that the rules are too complicated/too hard to understand

Confirmation that the typical normie has a double digit IQ? Betrayal is one of the simplest, easy to understand board games I've ever played.
>>
>>51409644
If you want a longer experience Id just buy roll. Its not really any heavier but it feels that way and scales up excellently with more players, wheras I feel race is best at 2. Part of the appeal of race to me is how fast a 2 player game with experienced players can go. Not really a detriment in my opinion.
>>
>>51433300
Not like it really needs confirmation, it should be readily apparent that people are just fucking stupid.
>>
>>51410815
What's wrong with Shadow Hunters?
>>
>>51433345
Player elimination
Game plays you
Complete random fest

You may as well go play Talisman.
>>
>>51433375
Kinda sounds like you played it once or twice, got btfo and salty, and never tried it again.
>>
fuck this thread's OP pic, change it
>>
>>51433155
what anon don't know can't hurt him
my player group doesn't into warhammer, and I didn't tell them the particulars of each god's personalities or that the map is supposed to be flayed human skin
>>
>>51433389
Thanks for refuting zero of my points.
>>
>>51433395
that's not how it works, goy, you're welcome to use facebook for that kind of functionality
>>
How's Shadows over Camelot?
I'm interested in the traitor aspect but I don't wanna overload my collection with Days of Wonder games
>>
>>51433967
Quite good, scales well and maybe the biggest selling point is you drop in/out as the game's going. I'd prolly say BSG is the better game, but it doesn't have as wide of appeal. Maybe Dark Moon replaces it, but I feel like it still beats Dead of Winter for handling traitor mechanics.

>don't wanna overload with DoW
Honestly the only bad thing with having lots of their games if having to pay the Asmodee tax. Other than that they make really solid games with quality components and mass appeal.
>>
File: IMG_8384.jpg (369KB, 1675x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8384.jpg
369KB, 1675x1920px
>>51433300
Checked
>>
>>51410815
>cosmic
>bad

Cosmic is only a bad game if you play with turbo autists (probably like yourself) who can't into social interaction and political discourse. The Game is balanced funky purposefully because the players interactions are where the balance comes from. Its quite a genius design and there's a reason its been a table top staple for more than 30 years
>>
>>51428717
>Anyone here has played Inis and can recommend? I really enjoyed Kemet and Inis seems like a step in the same direction, just a little deeper in the thought process, Kemet is fun for a light strategy dudes on map game, but Inis seems to actually require a bit more brain power.
Inis is a drafting game bolted on to an area control. It and Kemet (and Cyclades, for what it's worth) aren't remotely comparable.
>>
>>51434807
>casual scum.jpg
>>
>>51431812
The pure Loki strat is bullshit that's no fun for anyone and will get second place but every game someone will go for it and just fuck the whole thing all up.
>>
>>51433300
>Confirmation that the typical normie has a double digit IQ?
Doesn't about half the population have a double digit IQ by definition?
>>
>>51435250
Except the Brute, that was a legit misstep.
>>
>>51435771
Yeah that's fair, but you don't have to shuffle in flair cards that your group hates.
>>
File: 1428078478522.jpg (6MB, 3410x4200px) Image search: [Google]
1428078478522.jpg
6MB, 3410x4200px
I want the new Doom game.

Kinda wish it was Halo though. Reach or something.
>>
>>51435888
Does halo have cyberdemons?
You know honestly it probably does by this point, nevermind.
>>
>>51435739
What's the pure Loki strat?
>>
>>51436169
Get all the Loki cards that feed you points for losing fights. Then get into lots of fights you can't possibly win.
>>
>>51436264
But most of the loki cards rely on you losing lots of troops and you can only get so many troops. I've seen some tides turn with uses of Loki, but there's no such thing for as much as I've tried of a pure Loki strat, you get generally a pretty flat amount per troop lost and losing multiple battles doesn't make that really go up. And the ones left on the board generally get to do a lot more then you at that point..
>>
>>51423227
What games does /tg/ think need to be dethroned? I actually would agree with KD:M but not for the "I don't like it" reason Sam gave. Someone out there could make a game like it that isn't a $400 miniature man's wet dream which takes 2 years to get produced and out to people and can never see store shelves.
>>
>>51436622
>Cards Against Humanity
I wish there was a game that normies love and isn't utter shit
>>
>>51436622
I actually thought each of them had 1-2 good arguments, but Zee was dead on with Arabian Nights and Betrayal that we need a couple good story driven games to come out that have actual game play in them.

>>51436753
>Bachelor party last summer, bring 3-4 simple games for the normies
>we end up playing a Trump satire themed CAH knockoff because the groom's brother had just bought it
It hurt on so many levels, I've never hated my friends more.
>>
>>51436622
>>51436753
>>51436784
CAH is number 1.
>>
>>51435888
>liking Halo better than Doom
Get the fuck back to /v/ you underage shitstain.
>>
>>51436622
>Someone out there could make a game like it that isn't a $400 miniature man's wet dream which takes 2 years to get produced and out to people and can never see store shelves.
Something by GW.

No seriously, the games are cheapier, easier to play. Not as good as KD but they're exactly what you're talking about.

People like KD because it's exactly what a lot of us have been asking for (A Co-Op miniature wargame).

It's a stupid argument anyway made by people who get triggered because their personal preference isn't specifically catered too.
>>
File: Tesla Disapproves.png (73KB, 229x269px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla Disapproves.png
73KB, 229x269px
>>51436993
Are you seriously throwing a tantrum over a game that came out fifteen years ago?
>>
>>51436993
Halo's fine and different enough. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.
>>
File: help.jpg (4MB, 4032x5456px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
4MB, 4032x5456px
SO, WEREWOLF GAME!

Anyone got some quality card designs?

I'm finding really hard to get some quality images on the same art style (same artist?) for the roles.

Looking for inspiration on actual Werewolf games, i ended up with these 2 styles.

* The left one is completely minimalistic. Picture, name and balance number
* The right one i based on Ultimate Werewolf cards from 2008.

Maybe if i knew how to mess with Photoshop i would be able to make something better, but i'm stuck making these cards on FUCKING MICROSOFT POWER POINT.
>>
>>51436798
#1 shit game maybe
>>
>>51437036
>>Someone out there could make a game like it that isn't a $400 miniature man's wet dream
>Something by GW.

KEK! Pick one. If you had said 'quality rules' that would have just as readily eliminated GW. The 'board games' that GW makes (with the exception of Space Hulk that came out decades ago), are little more than excuses to get fan-bois to pay for over-priced minis.
>>
>>51438082
>bloodbowl
>>
>>51439063
Bloodbowl is fucking great, perfect ameritrashy board/minis game hybrid.
>>
>>51422254
The game has a decently large amount of stuff to learn right off the bat, because essentially it's 2 games in one. You have to learn how the shop phase works, and then the tournament phase, both of which are completely different and could each be games in and of themselves.

However, neither of these are actually that difficult to learn. The game has a "tutorial" tournament you can play with premade decks and I definitely recommend using that if you want to learn, that's how I taught all my friends and it works really well.

As for the expansion, I can tell you in about 2-3 weeks cause supposedly that's when my copy is coming. But I can tell you that my friends and I have played the base game tons of times, and pretty much every week for the past several months, we look at my game shelf, say "what should we play tonight" and then inevitably end up playing millennium blades anyway like we did last week and the week before. Because even with the base set, there is so much god damn content and potential for combinations and new decks that we are still not sick of it.

I would never call it a game for everyone because it's much too specific in terms of theme and mechanics and such. But holy shit, if it ends up being your thing, it is so god damn good. So, so god damn good.
>>
>>51437968
Yes, that's the topic, you retard,
>>
>>51437615
Make the numbers on the left cards stand out more.
>>
File: awgdte02onx1_web_box_3d_l[1].jpg (130KB, 910x910px) Image search: [Google]
awgdte02onx1_web_box_3d_l[1].jpg
130KB, 910x910px
Onitama expansion announced, 16 more cards. Looks like the 4 promos are likely to be included so total is just 32 cards. Should be nice though. Still my go to game for 10 minutes of waiting for people to arrive.
>>
>>51440107
Why is the box so horribly shaped. I will never buy this game for this reason alone (petty, I know)
>>
>>51424829

The optimal play isn't that difficult. Shoot someone early and hit as many people as possible. Use high powered weapons to score overkills on people. There's complexity to the game but don't overanalyse it. Put as much damage as you can on people, that's really the optimal play in 90% of the cases.
>even if you score optimally every round it still falls back to luck
What luck? There's absolutely no random element like dice rolling that is outside your ability to control actions. Everyone has access to the same set of powerup cards. Every attack is a hit.
>>
>>51440184
More importantly, why are they showing that oddly shaped box for an expansion that includes literally 16 cards. Is this redesigned to be able to hold all the components plus the new cards? I'd think the spot the cards go in should be fine on their own.
>>
>>51439725
Just curious, what other games do you like?

And how would you rate Millennium compared to those other games?
>>
Playing KD:M is almost like board game version of Capcom's Monster Hunter. And like Monster Hunter I am pretty sure this game never ends. That's just a hunch though and I don't own the game so I have no idea where the rest of these sessions will eventually lead to but boy is this game a commitment because to play this game you're not committing hours, you're committing days.
>>
>>51410469

If you like TD type games you can also give Xenoshyft a try. Fair disclaimer though, the game is difficult.
>>
>>51411156
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Kanban: Automotive Revolution
Mansions of Madness (1st edition)
>>
>>51436264
Loki is required for the game to function. Especially in the first age where you can bleed someone who uses the sea serpert dry.

If someone plays pure loki just get the +stats on win cards. Then if he starts lokiing you can get a shitload of free stats from him. Much more than he ever gets for fucking with you. Only a loki who holds some other cards back is any good. Then he can surprise+6 you and suddenly snatch a win.

Also most loki cards fit in other strategies, so stop being a retard and draft one or 2 yourself. Which makes a pure loki strat almost impossible
>>
>>51440292
It's hard to rate it in comparison. I'm not gonna totally stuck it's dick like the others, it's far from perfect. Plenty of little things add their dings and dents to the site. The card game itself being pretty bland and full of some awkward to teach rules and a rather overwhelming amount of stuff to do in the real time aspect make this a scary game to a lot of people. Card art being pretty meh favoring a mix of jokes rather than a consistent theme felt pretty unnecessary. There is also a bit of a character imbalance as the money guy quickly falls off to realize he gets a pretty shitty power when barely anything uses star power and paying too increase it doesn't help in most situations.

The thing is though I got it because it was so unique and it does it well. A diamond in the rough I doubt anyone is going to copy given the scale of the project they tackled here.
>>
>>51440535
So you'd recommend it? It seems like a game that is really worth owning.
>>
>>51411156
Cosmic Encounter
Seasons
Baseball Highlights 2045

>>51440549
Yeah, if you have a group up for the task of learning it, it's definitely a blast to play. The intimidating nature of the game is the lowest point. Fulton honestly isn't that bad a character and my brother loves to play him, and honestly I'm the guy who bought it and I'm the only one in my group who doesn't seem to like most of the jokes. Lastly, the card game is a 6 out of 10 which is good for a short game within a game that just serves as a cog in a grander machine. I'm hoping Set Rotation's added coop mode will serve as a friendly way to teach the game to people because really that's all that holds it back from hitting my table more often.
>>
>>51436993
Well I was drawn to the game by the ip ofcourse but the fact of the matter is my friend circle practically formed around Halo and getting buddies round the table would be a cinch.

I know liking Halo makes me underage but it does not bring me any pleasure to say many moons have passed since those days and I'm 26 now.

/tg/s opinion of this Doom board game seem largely positive,yea
>>
File: war-of-the-ring.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
war-of-the-ring.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
>>51408220
Watched a full playthrough of it just now.

Wow I'm floored. I liked the game when I decided to buy it but now I can't wait for it to get here.

Are the expansions worth getting?
Anything worth modding except sleeving the cards (I've seen people getting red/blue colored fighting dice and adding colored strips to the figures).
>>
>>51440382
I think a large majority of its fan base plays it solo. Something ive never understood, because why wouldn't you just play a video game at that point.
>>
File: 1348608231924.jpg (161KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1348608231924.jpg
161KB, 1440x900px
looking at the new CMON campaign, Ride of Moloch. (sic) what are you guys' opinions on it?
>>
>>51441594
Is it chock-full of delicious KS exclusive content?

Wait, it's CMON, of course it is.
>>
Can someone tell me A) what version of Carcassonne and/or its expansions are worth getting and B) same question but for Mice and Mystics.
>>
Recommendations for a fun game to play with family this weekend, something on the weight of Ticket to Ride or Codenames?
>>
>>51443427
Maybe sheriff of Nottingham? Turning your parents into crazed Mafiosos is always good.
>>
>>51443245
My favorite setup is base Carc + Inns & Cathedrals + Traders & Buildings + River + Ferries + King & Robber Baron

No idea about Mice and Mystics, but I've heard it's a good family friendly narrative experience, if mechanically weak
>>
>>51443245
Mice and Mystics is OK but you kinda have to understand it was a game made to teach kids to read. Not sure if it stands up at all with adults.
I hear there's the big box that has everything to keep you happy a while with Carcassonne. As an added bonus, it's a big box which is super handy for storage.
>>
>>51443891
> it's a super handy box
Nah, my dude, its a HOLY SHIT THIS IS TOO FUCKING BIG box. I made a couple of trays to hold each expansion separately inside a reasonably sized box and tossed that humongous waste of shelf space.
>>
>>51443933
See this is why I just bought the winter edition Carcassonne. No expansions, you get to keep it in the standard euro box; sure the base game isn't complex and really only works as a gateway/icebreaker game, but isn't that the reason to own Carc?
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205KB, 745x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205KB, 745x600px
>>51443245
You want Carcassonne 'Big Box 5' if you can find it. The only add-on that isn't really ideal in the box is 'the wheel'. Everything else is excellent.
>>
This made me grin...

"Explanation Of Board Game Rules Peppered With Reassurances That It Will Be Fun."

http://www.theonion.com/article/explanation-board-game-rules-peppered-reassurances-55162

It's like they're trawling the /bgg/ for content... Heh!
>>
>>51444689
>It's like they're trawling the /bgg/ for content... Heh!
I wouldn't doubt it
>>
>>51441305
I played it only a couple of times.but it was really fun.

Our first time everything went exactly like in the books so that is a plus.
>>
>>51440382
I played it and it was fun at first, two sessions in we discovered how to exploit a lot of the game and it became mostly repetitive. A lot of those issues are said to be fixed in 1.5 but we dont really care about pinnups and agreed that we would pay at most 60 for a gake that includes all we like of the game.
>>
>>51445686
>two sessions in we discovered how to exploit a lot of the game and it became mostly repetitive
I hear this a lot. Mostly from people who play the game wrong.
>>
>>51442126
very full indeed.
>>
>>51446497
>play the game wrong
Then how do you play it right?
>>
>>51446900
Fight and butcher a bullmastiff with a butter knife before every session
>>
>tfw Gloomhaven shipping notice
>>
>>51446497
several times we looked how the rules really worked. We understood simple mistakes people seem to fall in like how monster vision really works and duration cards, the rest is fairly simple.

We just had survivors that acted like fodder while important ones attacked when everything was safe. The item that let ypu rearange 2 AI cards and 3 hit locations are too powerful for the game, making the hand the easiest nemesis by far.

The insta deaths are a bad design choice from our point of view but necesary for balance. Those deaths alone where around 75% of the deaths in the game we had, with the rivalry settle event beig the most anoying ones. But at that point we were swiming on saviors. Green are by far the best ones.

I mean, it was fun the first campaing, even though hunting the phoenix for the 5th time in a row to make that stupid ring is what made us stop playing. Never faced the watcher.

It was fun albeit repetitive. Maybe expansions would have helped, but at this point I doubt we will play again. Pathfinder card games scratch the itch for a permanent advancement coop game enough amd is way easier to set up.
>>
Anyone played Onirim before? Is fun and worth getting? I know it can be played as a solo game but how does it hold up with two players?
>>
What's the best Dominion expansion?
>>
>>51444689
>picture is ticket to ride
>text is pandemic
They really did their research, neither are any fun.
>>
>>51448831
It's the Onion, did you really expect high quality articles?
>>
>>51448873
It's a Harvard paper, so yes.
>>
>>51448900
>Harvard paper
What are you talking about? Every article from the Onion is satirical. There is nothing academic about them.
>>
File: IMG_5403.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5403.png
1MB, 640x1136px
What's the game with the knight on it next to his face?
>>
>>51449637

Orleans. Deluxe version maybe.
>>
>>51449710
Thanks. I like knights, so is it any good?
>>
>>51444665
Bought it from a guy on Aliexpress.

comes in 2 packages, 1 for the base game and 1 with all 5 expansions.

Pretty good

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-English-Carcassonne-Basic-6-Expansion-The-River-Tower-Catapult-Count-King-Chaser-Board-Game-Card/32709971939.html
>>
>>51450309
shit

6 expansions*
well, of sort...
>>
>>51449884

Never played it. The fact that there's no interraction or theme in it turns me off.

I think you'd like it if you're into Dominion and want something different.
>>
File: IMG_2895.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2895.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /bgg/, looking for some advice. We're playing some Axis & Allies 1914, and we stopped a game at the middle of the fourth turn and will reconvene later to finish. Russia's been mostly neutralized, as we're down to Moscow, and India will likely fall on the Ottoman Empire's next turn.

My question is, what the fuck am I supposed to do with Germany? I'm stuck building all of my land units several spaces away from my objective. The logical move would be to build transports, but there's three countries' entire navies floating around right outside my naval yards, and even though I'm doing quite well (42 IPCs a turn) I'm not going to be able to outdo all three of them. How can I stop this from turning into a 7 turn slugfest?
>>
I've got ~$45 to spend on something from Amazon (US), any suggestions?
>>
>>51450763
https://www.amazon.com/GMT-Games-0510-14-Twilight-Struggle/dp/B0060L6EE4
>>
>>51450763
What kind of games are you looking for?
>>
Is Inis recommended 'round these parts?
>>
>>51451050
No.
>>
>>51451057
Why not
>>
>>51451104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M327-9uMzI
Take his reviews with a grain of salt but his analysis of Inis in particular is spot-on.
>>
>>51451028
Light to medium complexity. 4 or more player count. Dice are fine, but not a slave to dice.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: c26-1589947207-1-l.jpg (68KB, 600x636px) Image search: [Google]
c26-1589947207-1-l.jpg
68KB, 600x636px
>>51451153
I would recommend Game of Thrones

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Board-Second/dp/1589947207

At around your price range, can support 3-6 players, no dice used, and about medium in rules count. GoT has become mainstream so it can also be used to rope in more normie players.
>>
>>51443627
What's a good replacement for the shitty bags they have in Sheriff? I've asked for replacements but they're also tearing up already.
>>
File: IMG_0474.png (4MB, 680x3419px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0474.png
4MB, 680x3419px
>>51441594
Shit
>>
>>51451539
That's disgusting
>>
>>51451643
What's disgusting is that I really want it but won't buy it from principle. I need a 1vX and I like the aesthetic, very Hellboy-ish.
Oh well.
>>
>>51451539
"Hey guys, you wanna play a game that (apparently) takes 3 hours to set up?"

said the person that soon lost all his friends because fuck hardcore tabletop

When we gather up, we play chill stuff like War, Mafia, Werewolf, The Resistance or other games like that.

When we REALLY feel like complicating things up a bit, we take games we created (either out of thin air or by mashing some games together). It's really more enjoyable that way.

We got stuff like:

* WAR of Thrones 2 (mix of War + GoT theme + Magic the Gathering spell/instant mechanics)
Played like normal War, but we made Effect Cards that work like spells/instants from Magic the Gathering. Before the game you get assigned a House at random, every house has it's unique powers. On gameplay, every conquered territory grants you 1 Gold and 1 Glory and at the end of your turn you get an Effect Card.

* GunPron (mix of Zombicide gameplay + loot drop mechanics from Borderlands series)
So it's normal Zombicide where zombies now can "shoot" you. We got separate decks that consists of parts. 4 parts make a gun. Grip Cards tell you how many dice to roll. Body Cards tell you the damage (1, 2 or 3 and etc). Sight Cards tell you which numbers need to get a hit. Barrel Cards tell you how far you can shoot.
Also for fun effect every part card has a name that gets added to the final weapon.

So yeah you can make crazy shit like the "PMS Octopussy Cuck-Killer Handbreaker", the 8-barrel .50 BMG handcannon.

* Time WAR (game using 3 identical WAR with some chess pieces to represent unique units a.k.a. heroes)
Easy, left to right you have Past, Present and Future maps and you can send your troops and alter conquered territories using time-related hypothesis. Also there are rules for paradoxes and shiet.

* Street Chess 2 (Chess where every match is played out on Street Fighter 2, with Handicap Power adapted for pieces)
Self explanatory.

Anyone got any more batshit insane ideas for games?
>>
>>51451416
Self control? Mine have seen years of use without problems.

But drawstring bags might work too.
>>
I own too many Fantasy Flight games
>>
>>51452346
I'm sorry to hear anon

look into GMT and Level 99 Games
>>
>>51451816
>because fuck hardcore tabletop
Honestly, if you can find the right crew for big dumb games, it can be really rewarding, I'm playing Virgin Queen later today. I would never try and force it on anyone though, that is just cruel
>>
>>51447702
someone posts some bullshit about being excited for gloom haven every fucking day. when are plebbitors gonna learn that no one gives a fuck about your flavor of the month ks circle jerk here?
>>
>>51453175
I really don't get the kickstarter hate on /tg/. If there's any industry it has benefited, it's boardgames. I didn't even realize it until I started googling the games in my collection, but I own a fuck ton of stuff that came from kickstarter, and of it only one of those had anything exclusive, and it was like 4 cards out of a 60+ card game.
>>
>>51453699
Depends on the game. Some are like Scythe that have no exclusives, others are like >>51451539 where only the core game is NOT an exclusive. Most of the hate are backlash from hating on the ones that have bad practices, which extends to other Kickstarters because generalization without further research seems to be a thing.
>>
>>51427699
Just buy gold and vps. Unless the people you're playing with are real serious it'll be better than whatever they're doing.
>>
File: 1327413401041.jpg (103KB, 676x800px) Image search: [Google]
1327413401041.jpg
103KB, 676x800px
>>51451643
wait, why is this disgusting? Seems like good value for that kind of money. Lots of minis you can use for other games like DnD and CoC. And a pretty fun game at its core.
>>
>>51437968
What about Munchkin?
>>
>>51453699
i was really talking about people hyping these games to no end for no reason. gloom haven basically looks like kdm light without the randomness that actually makes a crazy long campaign system like that interesting. instead of models most of the figures are those fucking cardboard things.

the game is clearly a cash grab. campaign based rpg for less than kdm, just in time for the legacy craze, and more euro than trashy so people don't feel like it is just some simple bullshit even though there is very little depth if you have the awareness to look past the legacy aspect.
>>
>>51453819
its disgusting because you either overpay for the full game now or overpay for half the game later. minis you can use for other shit is a retarded argument because you could buy better minis at cheaper prices elsewhere
>pretty fun
how could you know that?
>>
>>51453982
I don't know anything about gloomhaven and only a little about KD:M, but a campaign driven game doesn't sound like an idea that is particularly exclusive or needs to be treated like it's exclusive. Especially when the game it's apparently ripping off is one that's so exclusively over the top in terms of ridiculous price and 2 months of availability a year and a half before coming even close to shipping.
>>
File: MoH.jpg (870KB, 1688x1674px) Image search: [Google]
MoH.jpg
870KB, 1688x1674px
>Mall of Horror
I came across the game on some Chinese knock-off website, anyone heard or played the game?
It actually seems pretty nice.
>>
>>51454031
who said it should be exclusive? all i said was its a game being released now as a cheap and cheaply/poorly designed version of a quality item.

why are you shilling so hard for it? already regret backing it, anon? it's ok, i would too
>>
>>51451138
jesus he's cringy when he tries to be funny.
>>
>>51454060
I know.
but he has to do it for the views.
>>
>>51454038
It's probably like every other zombie themed amerigame. I literally can't tell these things apart anymore.
>>
>>51454045
>already regret backing it, anon?
Gloomhaven or KD:M?
Because even if I did end up not liking KD:M I'll easily be able to resell it at a profit.
>>
>>51454110
gloomhaven obv
>>
>>51454038
I have it since many years, it's an ok game, best at 5-6, don't bother to play with less.
Basically I describe it as an "alliance game", each turn, you decide who you tag along with to fuck the other and depending on current placement and turn order, it will probably change every turn. It's a kill-em-all game, the goal of the game is literally to have less people kill than the opposition, and the only way to do that is to use the zombies at your own advantage. Each of your three characters has a special power and every player have the three same, zombies comes regularly and randomly, only one person get to know more or less where they go so everybody else kinda align with said player, bonus cards can reverse a situation, there are six locations with different pros and cons and potentially some very strong killzone where you can push other players in.

I've always felt it's a decent game, it's not very nice though, the aim is to actively deceive and fuck the other players.
>>
>>51454151
>the aim is to actively deceive and fuck the other players.
Sounds like our kind of game.

One of my groups all time favorite (if not THE all time favorite) is Cutthroat Cavern, a game about working "together" torwards a same goal while actively backstabbing each other.
>>
>>51453989
I enjoyed the gameplay videos, like the theme, love the art direction
>>
>>51454151
>>51454105
Seems like a newer version is out, City of Horror, apparently its much better.
>>
>>51454361
>enjoyed gameplay videos
So you let paid shills influence how you spend your money? Sad.
>like the theme
You like the same old fantasy theme being recycled yet again? Sad.
>love the art direction
There are no pictures on most cards and there are more cardboard cutouts than models. Sad

Maybe someday you'll realize that supporting half baked trash like this is bad for the overall health of the consumers in this industry. Those of us who appreciate quality products can only hope.
>>
>>51454361
If you enjoy watching the gameplay videos you should just save your money and watch them desu
>>
File: 1358720329466.jpg (753KB, 1876x1858px) Image search: [Google]
1358720329466.jpg
753KB, 1876x1858px
>>51452346
I own cosmic encounter, fury of dracula 3rd edition and eldritch horror. How guilty am I?
>>
>>51454578
Depends on your collection. You can own ten FFG games and if you've got a warehouse somewhere it still wouldn't be too many.
>>
You freakin Americans are so lucky.
How the fuck do 20$ games end up selling for 40GBP?

How in the hell is that fair?
Almost any game can be bought 2nd hand from someone for 1/2 the price if not less, if I buy 2nd hand here Im lucky if it costs 15% under the regular cost.
>>
>>51454621
Being more than 1/8 of the world's GDP does that for you.
>>
>>51454621
>How in the hell is that fair?
How young are you that you think life should be fair?
>>
>>51454578
what percentage of your collection does that make?
>>
>>51454886
Niggas are dying in Africa and he's complaining about having to pay 20 bucks more for a toy.
>>
>>51454378
you seem sad, anon, what game hurt you?
>>
>>51454925
Your standards seem low, anon, where is your self esteem?
>>
>>51455022
never had any to begin with, I buy shit because I think it is pretty or might be fun.
>>
>>51453860
That's #2
>>
>>51454912
First world problems amirite?
>>
>>51455623
That's kind of meta.
>>
File: jew_magic.png (574KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
jew_magic.png
574KB, 605x558px
>>51454597
>>51454911
I own 18 games. But 50% are euros, so maybe the patrician bgg gods will have mercy on me
>>
>>51455660
Glad someone caught it
>>
File: Zaxxon01.jpg (351KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Zaxxon01.jpg
351KB, 1600x1200px
>>51455660
>>51455874
Bu... But if you meta-game you're having bad-wrong-fun!
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 92x102px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 92x102px
The guy who asked about Mall of Horror here, I looked around a bit about the new version of the game, City of Horror, and most of the reviews are positive, and almost everyone agree that its overall better than MoH.

Anyone has any experience with the game?
Would you recommend?
>>
>>51405357
New thread is up ----> >>51455983
>>
>>51455945
I posted a followup in the new thread so you don't run out of space for replies as this thread is on its way out.
>>
>>51455945
I don't get to play it very often, but yeah, it's a great little political and risk management game, if maybe very slightly long for its depth.
Recommend.
>>
>>51453982
>i was really talking about people hyping these games to no end for no reason.
>for no reason.
Having actually, legitimately played the game (2.5 hour demo at Origins this year), I can tell you definitively that you're talking out of your ass.

You could take the campaign aspect out of Gloomhaven entirely and it would still be the single best adventure / dungeon crawler ever made. Hands down. The core gameplay is just that good.

And it's being delivered today. To my fucking doorstep.

(And to comment on your KD:M comparison, having also actually played through a solo campaign of KD:M on TTS, they are very different games. KD:M is nowhere near as mechanically tight as Gloomhaven is. It's a lot more casual, there are less decisions to be made, fewer tactics available, and more reliance on card draw and luck of the dice. I view KD:M as being similar to Dwarf Fortress -- it's not the most mechanically compelling game out there, but it's amazing at creating emergent narratives. Gloomhaven I expect to have a much more railroad-y storyline with little to no emergent narrative, but more satisfying and challenging combat.)
>>
>>51456498
Bump
>>
>>51460156
We're on a new thread.

>>51455983
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.