[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk about Tieflings, /tg/. I mean, once you look at D&D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1456343216988.jpg (138KB, 1084x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456343216988.jpg
138KB, 1084x500px
Lets talk about Tieflings, /tg/.

I mean, once you look at D&D it gets super confusing based on which Edition or Splat-book you have in your hand. In one Tieflings are more akin to Changelings as in "Mostly human, but there is something creepily inhuman about them" then you have "Suave Devils" until you arrive them "Everyone knows they are demonspawn and no one trusts them and no one likes them but not enough enough to start a pogrom" which is just abstract levels of wat.

And the same goes for the looks of a Tiefling or their Stats, first you have "Yeah boi, they creepy, -2 Charisma also roll on the table to see how much of a fucking FREAK you are" then you go "But muh Hot Topic-Attire and muh devilblood makes me more charismatic, also Red Skin and Horns and Tails for everyone" and a lastly "You know what kid, take whatever stats you like and make them look whatever you want, now fuck off".

What I am trying to say is, do Tieflings as a race make even sense?
>>
File: 1456343282179.jpg (215KB, 779x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1456343282179.jpg
215KB, 779x1129px
>>51399362
>cont
What is a Tiefling actually supposed to be like? If I think about it the first version makes the most sense to me and the other two just make them another trivial race. So one of your ancestors was unfortunate enough to get shagged by some sort of demonspawn. You are born human looking but as you grow there are STRANGE THINGS about you like you growing points teeth or tar-black eyes or having skin that is really hot to the touch.
I mean if are already born with Horns and Tail hat exactly keeps your terrified parents from throwing you into the next fireplace or drowning or shit which seems like the sane reaction to OH GOD BERTHA WERE YOU BEHIND THE SHED WITH THAT O´MALLEY BOY AGAIN I TOLD YOU GINGERS HAVE NO SOUL AND NOW LOOK AT YOUR BABY?!
And even if you assume that the society they live in is less xenophobic against them, wouldn't a Tiefling try to avoid the Stigma of being associated as Demonspawn and trying to pass off as a human? If there is a Church of people with twitchy SMITE-ing fingers and I am boy with a pair of horns wouldn't I saw them rather off and try to look more like John Doe the most boring and normal-looking Shepherd this side of the kingdom?

PS: Its nearly impossible to find a Pic of a Tiefling who tries to pass himself off as human. Or a creepy looking human with just enough OFF about him to make him look creepy?
>>
>What I am trying to say is, do Tieflings as a race make even sense?

They made sense in their original context, where they lived in a multi-dimensional city and were far from the weirdest things there.
They kind of also made sense in 4e, where they were an entire empire of devil worshipers that had deliberately altered themselves for teh evulz.

What I am trying to say is it depends on the setting
>>
>>51399462
>They made sense in their original context, where they lived in a multi-dimensional city and were far from the weirdest things there.

I agree that this makes sense.

>They kind of also made sense in 4e, where they were an entire empire of devil worshipers that had deliberately altered themselves for teh evulz.
This on the other hand not really. A whole race of devil worshippers that look like devil-worshippers kinda completely defeats the reason for the existence of Tieflings, doesn't it?
>>
>>51399607
They're not devil worshipers. Their empire made pacts (note: not worship) with demons, but that empire fell so long ago it's barely in the history books. Sorta like... Ancient Egypt. Now it's just a group of people who are the great great great great etc grand nephew of some guy from a dead civilization and are born with horns and a tail, and they like fucking other people with horns and a tail - who wouldn't?
>>
I like tieflings, though I prefer random assortments of oddity over everyone being red and horned.

But as for a specific race? Nah. I'd rather it be a sort of template you can stick on during chargen--no reason for there to not ever be any elves and dwarves with a bit o' demon blood in them.
>>
IDK much about tieflings. The one time I played a tiefling, he was a paladin who hated his demonic heritage more than literally anyone else in the setting.
It was fun, but I've got to agree, they seem very niche as a race. It is odd that they get so much representation in the manual.
>>
>>51399375
I once played a Tiefling who /desperately/ tired to act human.

He covered his face with a horned masked, and acted like some eccentric wizard. He didn't speak because when he did, he had a second, echo'y voice that followed the first. So he used signs and other methods to communicate, hence the eccentric part.

He was actively terrified people would find out what he was, and pretended to be incredibly physically weak along with giving himself a limp to appear old. Mostly casting decent spells but nothing to indicate his demon blood tended to let him do more nefarious casting.

It was pretty fun to play.
>>
>>51400632
>I'd rather it be a sort of template you can stick on during chargen--no reason for there to not ever be any elves and dwarves with a bit o' demon blood in them.

This is actually the best idea so far. It has a name, it exists, it happens but they are not their own race.
>>
>>51407294

So how would you do it? What modifications would it make?
>>
File: Faridun_defeats_Zahhak.jpg (1011KB, 1102x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Faridun_defeats_Zahhak.jpg
1011KB, 1102x1536px
>>51399362
>>51399375

Its nearly impossible to find a Pic of a Tiefling who tries to pass himself off as human. Or a creepy looking human with just enough OFF about him to make him look creepy?

Most Tieflings I've seen on 4chan (to be honest I've never had one in my table) actually try to hide their nature in some way. But, well, in art you want to show things how they are. If your character is red and with horns you'll show him like that, and only if you have different portraits of him maybe one shows him in his disguise.

The character you're using for your posts if from persian mythology and he works in a similar way. He's a king with snakes on his shoulders who need to eat human brains. In the legend the didn't openly show this curse to people, but often depicted with the snakes. They're an easy way to identify him and what he is for those who see the art.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.