[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am currently planning to GM a Star Wars campaign with a long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: SolMonAndHisPirateGang.jpg (2MB, 1435x1428px) Image search: [Google]
SolMonAndHisPirateGang.jpg
2MB, 1435x1428px
I am currently planning to GM a Star Wars campaign with a long time group of mine.
The players seem really hyped at the prospect, since they are all huge star wars nerds, but it feels to me that they are going of the rails a bit with this.
The game is still weeks away, and they are already starting to cite crazy stuff from the wiki back at me "can i find x in the game world" "can i have y exotic creature as a pet" "how available is z technology?" etc. etc. I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed with their expectations of what this will be, i wanted to do a fairly simple pirate adventure with them, but there is just so many bizarre and crazy details in the lore that they keep digging up. How do i prevent them from going "Let's go to Dathomir and capture a rancor"? I am worried this campaign is going to get derailed as soon as it starts.
TL,DR: How do you keep your players from going too crazy in an established and extremely detailed world like star wars without dampening their excitement too much?
>>
>>51396969
Evolve with them or die without them.

Christ that was a cringe answer
>>
>>51397801
i don't quite understand?
should i just let them have all their crazy stuff?
or deny them? Cause i'll never see the end of it, either way.
>>
>>51396969
I didn't want to even consider dealing with this, which is why I created an independent setting to use with the FFG Star Wars System. Can't complain about or abuse Canon that isn't there.

Of course, I said I would do this at the start, with the promise that the players would have opportunities to become more important to the setting than they would otherwise in the Canon universe.

Star Wars itself doesn't really make for a good campaign setting. It's the same with Forgotten Realms. You have to deal with the Drizzt/Elminster effect, and fanboys will go crazy with Canon and exploiting their knowledge of the universe.
>>
The Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook adresses some of that.

Make sure they stay interested and focused on the adventure you have planned for them, make sure the adventures are fairly open ended, and learn to improvise. It's a lot less scary than it sounds.
>>
>>51396969
>they are already starting to cite crazy stuff from the wiki back at me "can i find x in the game world" "can i have y exotic creature as a pet" "how available is z technology?" etc. etc. I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed with their expectations of what this will be, i wanted to do a fairly simple pirate adventure with them, but there is just so many bizarre and crazy details in the lore that they keep digging up. How do i prevent them from going "Let's go to Dathomir and capture a rancor"?

You need to explain to your players that their characters aren't 21st-century nerds with full access to the Wookieepedia. Nobody knows that rancors are native to Dathomir except for a handful of people, none of whom are the PCs.
>>
File: 1478660702852.jpg (94KB, 350x415px) Image search: [Google]
1478660702852.jpg
94KB, 350x415px
>>51398224

This. Player Knowledge vs. Character Knowledge. If someone says they know something, when their character wouldn't, you can just change that info about them. Or throw it out.

Nothing will get the point across like saying, with a shit-eating grin, "Well, there are Legends that say that, but in reality..."
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.