[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice /tg/ Whenever I would DM for my friends I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (315KB, 800x447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315KB, 800x447px
I need some advice /tg/

Whenever I would DM for my friends I tend to not be very discriptive in the events that are happening in the story and describing the looks of NPCs. I also tend to fumble with my words a lot.

Is there any tips you guys could give me to help improve on that?
>>
>>51390267
If you're fumbling with describing the looks of NPCs, write them up beforehand.

Alternatively, cut back on the detail. I like to include a lot of detail myself, but sometimes it's for the better if it's quite minimalist.

Although, I imagine that if you just asked your players to hang on a moment while you figure out what it is you're trying to convey, they won't mind. They don't think that you're some omniscient god - most players will understand that you're a human and that what you're doing is tough.
>>
>>51390267
Read some books nigga
>>
File: 1483277553491.jpg (121KB, 500x698px) Image search: [Google]
1483277553491.jpg
121KB, 500x698px
I hate gms that go on and on about details. The world should be in the players head's, you don't achieve that by describing a monsters foot for 5 minutes.
Tell them the most important stuff, 2 bullet points, max 5.
Good:
'The Monster is like a shrimp but with lots of human arms instead and two praying mantis claws. It's feet are like a bird of prey's.'
4 points everybody knows what's up.
Bad:
'It has a exoskeleton with big plates, beginning at his head and going all the way down to his sort of tail. The plates get a bit smaller to the end. At his tail it's kinda trapezoid? But round y'know? Like this *gesture* And in the middle of it's body it has about twelve human arms with human hands. But it also has two normal arms at his shoulders, two longer arms. And they have like two elbows, like they go down and up and down and the last part is like a slim and long shield and they have these short kind of spikes.....'

After my vent, the conclusion: Short descriptions, low details, only the most important stuff. Don't let a description halt the game because it's too long. If you stumble over your words, you're probably describing too much. Give npcs 2 defining characteristics and leave it to your players imagination.
>>
>>51390866
This. Also ration out the descriptions at sensible pace i.e. at the first glance describe just the most obvious things ("you open the door and see a plain room with some people standing around"), and if the players indicate they take a moment to look then describe more in detail ("there's three of them, two males one female, dressed as foreign merchants. The room looks spacey because all the furniture is pushed against the walls.")
>>
>>51390267
get some good character and scene image collections.
>>
>>51391284
I liked pictures once but I think it's better to let the players imagine the world the way they want.
>>
>>51390267
Describing a few things in an entire campaign in mad detail (e.g.a palace you visit every single episode) can be ok but like >>51390866 said just give them a few details and let their imagination fill in the blanks.

I personally only attach a single defining descriptor to each NPC ("eyebrow piercing" or "wearing a black coat with a red shirt") which sticks in the player's heads better
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.