[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How autistic do you get when it comes to worldbuilding? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: wbd.jpg (197KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
wbd.jpg
197KB, 1366x768px
How autistic do you get when it comes to worldbuilding? It's a pretty big problem for me, as I've drawn maps of tectonic boundaries and wind patterns, determined the degree to which a planet is tilted on its axis, and have pages upon pages of cosmology and where magic comes from all in the name of justifying whatever bullshit I come up with. None of this stuff ever comes up in the game, mind you, I just have this insipid need to understand how my gameworld works.
>>
>>51376458
Why don't you write a book?
>>
>>51376458
>None of this stuff ever comes up in the game

Then don't fucking do it. I hate worldbuilders who go into so much detail and then you never hear about any of it in any practical sense. It's just mental masturbation. Who gives a shit about the recipe for cooking udder roots from the native tribes in the jungle of a forgotten island if that island is never shown in any meaningful way.
>>
>>51376458
You suffer from too much inspiration and love thinking about ideas for your worlds? Seriously, go write a book. Even if it's not very good it seems like you'd have fun writing it, and that's some valuable writing experience for future world building.
>>
File: WorldOfKings.png (139KB, 1360x582px) Image search: [Google]
WorldOfKings.png
139KB, 1360x582px
>>51376458
lol

i drew my maps in ms paint
>>
File: Map of the Dark Medieval.png (99KB, 1850x1094px) Image search: [Google]
Map of the Dark Medieval.png
99KB, 1850x1094px
>>51380298
>>
>>51376458

The only good worldbuilding in RPGS campaigns is collaborative worldbuilding.
>>
>>51376458
My GM and I take turns running games. He's very improvisational, and he's incredibly good at it, meanwhile the few games I've run have been too rigid, so I've basically taken to being just sparse enough on the Worldbuilding that I can predict NPC reactions to player actions.
>>
>>51376458
DJ?
>>
>>51380298
Is that totally not Westeros?
>>
>>51381020
it totally isnt, i hate GRRMs shit and that entire continent is yellow because its basically deserts, badlands and other barren shit. replied to OP's autism because he is all about details and shit like wind patterns, tectonic plates and other useless realism stuff, and then there are ppl like me. world of kings is a heavy metal setting btw lol
>>
File: 1455853330162.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1455853330162.webm
2MB, 720x405px
I think world building is best when it comes reactively, after the characters and plot are fleshed out, in order to better service them.

I start with a general idea for a setting, plot, and characters, and worry about the nitty gritty once the core is already coming together.
>>
File: 1453595030111.png (106KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
1453595030111.png
106KB, 683x470px
>>51381091
Yeah, now that I actually looked at a map of Westeros again, that doesn't look to similar
>>
>>51381091

>lel drew my maps in mspaint noshitsgiven
>that like Westeros
>urg NO my world is heavy metal and totally different GRRMMMMM a shit OP autistic REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51381163
if u got that impression then you have really difficult mental problems lol especially with ur response :-(
>>
File: All bait in this world.png (36KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
All bait in this world.png
36KB, 640x960px
>>51381204
>>
>>51376458
The good point of being autistic (tectonic plates and etc....) is that you get good results without needing creativity.

Thats the good point of that, you get stuff that people without enought creativity (and not using the same 'autistic' method as you) wouldnt get.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.