[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing something for a game: when in combat, characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I'm doing something for a game: when in combat, characters can choose if they strike or defend. If you choose to attack and you win the opposed roll, you deal the difference in damage. If you choose to defend and you win the roll, you get a bonus die for the next attack.

Strenght is added on the attack, dexterity is added on the defense (maybe could be used to attack with certain weapons, but IDK, maybe it makes the stat too powerful).

This also implies that me, as the GM, should take this decision for the monsters; unless I randomize it taking into account the intelligence of the given monster. This is the part that I like less (maybe is too much work in the practise, IDK)

As for who decides first, I'm torn between
1. pcs always decide stance first
2. is secretly decided, then rolled at the same time. Including a red dice into the roll means that you're attacking. All white, means you're defending. This is fairest, but adds a new layer of complexity into the system; which I intended to be pretty light but with some tactical choice.

Also, if you fight against a weapon that has longer reach than yours, (sword vs spear) you must Defend first. Should you win, you get into fighting range.

Have you ever used a combat system like this? Does it get too tiresome after many battles?
If you didn't, what do you think about it at first glance?
>>
>>51374826
Seems fluid at first glance, but the combat has to be somewhat lethal because it will be tiresome if a fight of 2 characters take like, 30 turns to end.
I'd consider adding strength to the damage and use dexterity purely for hit chance. Maybe add a third attribute to the formula, say, "body" for the defence. Or use dex for hit chance and defence, I think it makes sense.
Your dex defines your ability to hit right and to parry/deflect.
Your strength defines how much your hits that hit right hurt.
>>
>>51374826
Seems a good idea.

What dices are you using ? d20 ? d100 ? d6 ?
And how high is the roll result compared to the stats bonus ?
>>
>>51375100

d6 only. You add them together. Strenght and dexterity are skills; if you have them, you add a d6 to the relevant choice. You add a third d6 if you have defended the last turn.

>>51374903
>somewhat lethal
PCs HP is calculated as 1d6+level (1 to 5). You add 1d6 if you have the Strenght Skill. So yeah is pretty lethal I guess, average Warrior having 8 HP at the start.

>I'd consider adding strength to the damage and use dexterity purely for hit chance.

the thing is that there is only one roll: You roll to hit, then the difference is the damage. But, If you think about it, Strenght still increases your damage, as it will increase the difference; and Dexterity increases your chance to hit as it lets you deliver a biggest blow: it's just that isn't a passive bonus: you have to activelly use the dexterity by keeping a defensive stance first.

If the fights are somehow too slow, I can consider making it deadlier: If you're hit, youre dead. PCs can try to resist by rolling a d6 under their level. Just dropping some ideas; the system is pretty much in the air yet.
>>
>>51375494
What is the opposed roll if both attack?
>>
>>51374826
Reminds me of Riddle of Steel
>>
I did something like this a long time ago. It looked nice on paper but absolutely terrible in practice. Fights got boring very fast. There wasn't anything special or fun to do. Everyone quickly figured out that stacking for either offense or defense was the best way to go. There was no middle ground. If you tried to be balanced out you were quickly outshined by the other players and made useless which feels terrible.

Do not make certain weapons give DEX to damage that would be awfully unbalanced mechanically.

With the way your system is designed I see no reason for anyone to attack on the first turn. Defending would be the absolute best thing to do. There's a chance you get a bonus damage dice and even if you don't you reduce the damage you take. Why would I want to do anything else until I have an absurd amount of bonus dice to attack with? Even one extra dice gives me the power to 1-hit KO another warrior. Seems really silly. Everyone would just defend.

I suggest rethinking your system. If only because I don't want you to end up with the same dissapointment I did.
>>
>>51375677

it would be 1d6 +str vs 1d6 +str.

Granularity comes only through the amount of HP the contenders have

>>51377028
Thank you for your advice, this is just what i want to avoid. I forgot to point that the Defending advantage is not stackable: you get only 1d6, no matter ho many rounds you defend.
Also, on my behalf i¡ll say that you don't have much to stack on character building: the builds are very simple: you either have dex and str or you dont. Going for defense always has the downside that you don't do damage; that's it. You reduce the damage you take both on an attack roll and on the defence roll; attacker always deals the difference between the two rolls in damage.

>Do not make certain weapons give DEX to damage that would be awfully unbalanced mechanically.

Yeah. Maybe only chain weapons and that, but not let them do damage straight, just entangle effects.

>>51376638
I'll check it to see how they did it
>>
>>51376638
I dunno, there's zero advantage to stabbing them in the dick
>>
>>51376638
dude this is nothing like riddle of steel
>>
>>51374826
Just use the Burning Wheel combat scripting system.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.