[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>setting is nature vs technology >nature is considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 454
Thread images: 30

File: gRRR.png (210KB, 800x689px) Image search: [Google]
gRRR.png
210KB, 800x689px
>setting is nature vs technology
>nature is considered right because humans are too advanced and destroy nature for resources.
>setting is sentient androids vs humans
>androids are considered right because humans refuse to accept change and advancement that threatens them

what are some cyberpunk settings where humans are on the side of virtue and the other guys are just assholes?
>>
>>51373363

One is a sci-fi trope and one is a political and ethical statement.
>>
>>51373363
> >androids are considered right because humans refuse to accept change and advancement that threatens them
I can't remember a single instance where this is true. A species that willingly admits its extinction isn't a species that would fight for survival in the first place.
>>
>>51373363
when you make humans unambiguously right, you are a little egocentric

when you make humans wrong, you can deliver whatever soapbox speech you had prepared
>>
>>51373458
>I can't remember a single instance where this is true
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
>>
>>51373458
AI and The Machine.
>>
File: GKC.jpg (228KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
GKC.jpg
228KB, 600x849px
>>51373363
Gunnerkkrigg court, maybe ?
Wouldn't clearly label this a "cyberpunk", but you get that clear cut and passive hostility between the forest (nature spirits, elves, etc...) and the court (basically psyonic scientists with lots of robots).

It is pretty clear that the court hides some dark stuff (first, where did they find all these gifted chidren, and what they are planning to do with their magitech devices), but the forest is clearly ruled by an almighty and childish god of death with a morbid humor, and his borderline crazy wolf-butler.
A shame we don't get to know more about the setting, but the comic's slow pace is quite entertaining.
>>
>>51373458
Pretty much anything by Issac Asimov.
>>
>>51373363
In real life humans are usually right, atleast some of them
>>
>>51373664
And with who are they arguing with? Gibbons?
>>
>>51373702
What do you think people do on 4chan?
>>
>>51373375
I'd say both are political and ethical statements.

Since the only source of intelligence we know irl is mankind, painting the human in a bad light is almost always a cautionary tale about what irks the author in the current world.

Putting them in the good guy shoes is the same. If humanity triumphs over the aliens from Zorglub III because of the power of friendship/overwhelming firepower/..., that's probably because the author thinks that those traits are desirable, rather than humanity is superior.

Ideological separation is way easier when the two viewpoints belong to clearly different species.
>>
>>51373363
>what are some cyberpunk settings where humans are on the side of virtue and the other guys are just assholes?
real life - for a given definition of "human" and "the othe guys"
>>
This is why my little slice of oc cyberpunk sidesteps these issues with a handwave. The situation has already been dealt with and instead things like augmentation and the technology that has turned the world into curosant meets a forge world is considered the norm
>>
File: 1483848068241.jpg (39KB, 347x263px) Image search: [Google]
1483848068241.jpg
39KB, 347x263px
>>51373363
>cyberpunk settings
>someone is clearly on the side of virtue
>>
This is some weird "I've had my mind poisoned by HFY" shit right here.

Nature vs. Technology? There are humans on Nature's side, and its ultimately for the betterment of humans.
Android rights? There are humans campaigning for android rights, and its ultimately for the betterment of humans.

Stop trying to act like these are X vs. Human plots, you dumbass.
>>
>>51373363
>setting is nature vs technology
>technology is considered right because humans are advanced and need resources
>setting is sentient androids vs humans
>humans are considered right because androids refuse to accept tradition and biology that threatens them
>>
>>51373363
See, I'd rather the setting just make up its mind instead of having both of these be true.

If Technology is Bad, then Androids are Bad.
>>
>>51374583
I really hate how HFY turned from a fresh perspective on traditional SF into murder and genocide glorifying, jingoistic crap.
>>
>>51374736
It was always going to turn out that way.

It's written by wannabe murderhobos for wannabe murderhobos. Where do you think you are?
>>
>>51373363
>setting is blank vs. blank
>good v evil dichotomy instead of being subjective
>>
>>51374736
>fresh

Shut the fuck up already, you stupid piece of shit.
"Humans being victorious" has happened since the start of science fiction, all HFY did was say "Boo hoo hoo, humans don't win ALL the time, that means they need to win more!!"

There's nothing fresh about it except idiots confusing complex concepts with "X vs. Humans", like they think it's some sort of cosmic volleyball game.
>>
>>51374767
>subjectivity
>in a world where readers want to ESCAPE from nuance, complexity, and the total lack of any objective qualities in the world they know and live in
>>
File: staringhusky.jpg (69KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
staringhusky.jpg
69KB, 1280x853px
>>51374783
Faggots in 4chan need it more since it become more apparent that everyone is dominating over them in real life too much.
They are more successful in life, marry the crush they like and have children and properties that those faggots will never have.
Dehumanizing the others and then making the plot supposedly underdog useless pathetic """humans""" (a.k.a their self insert) win satisfy their ego despite that those stories do nothing to change their real life situation where everyone dominate over them.
>>
File: gibbon.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
gibbon.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>51373756
FUCK YOU HAIRLESS APE, GIBBON RIGHTS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: Hunter_L4D.png (85KB, 368x344px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter_L4D.png
85KB, 368x344px
>>51373488
Is that a Hunter on the left?
>>
>>51373458
The animatrix turned the matrix setting into that retro-actively.
>>
>>51373363
>>setting is nature vs technology
>>nature is considered right because humans are too advanced and destroy nature for resources.

>nature is considered inherently good at all
I want the hippies to leave
>>
>>51374583
>muh luddites muh trees muh progress is bad
>for the betterment of humans

>>51375008
>all this projection
Christ allmighty, there is nothing worse than armchair psychologists.
>>
>>51374783
Jesus fucking Christ, it boggles my mind how retards like you can breath and type at the same time.

Yeah, that's exactly not what it was, you fucking idiot. It was about looking at humanity as something else than the "average". It all started with a point that even on Earth, humans are kind of weird, and that we just view ourselves as the default in science fiction because we are us.

You're an utter fucking retard if you think it was always about "winning", and that's exactly what I'm speaking out against, you mong. Try to fucking read the posts you respond to before getting triggered.
>>
>>51375270
The only idiot here is you.

Quit trying to make HFY more than it was, especially with that old stupid "boo hoo hoo, humans are used as the baseline in D&D and that makes me think the designers are calling them boring because I exclusively play humans" bullshit.

You HFY fags just never give up, do you?
>>
>>51375106
It's Robot.
It's a fugitive android who's friends with the two main girls.
>>
>>51375208
>Implying trees stand in the way of progress
>>
>>51374583
>There are humans on Nature's side, and its ultimately for the betterment of humans.
I want the earth liberation front internet defense force to leave
>>
>>51374792
But I love nuance. I get so tired of the people around me trying so hard to pretend things are black and white that I want to escape from THEM and dive face first into a world of subjectivity.
>>
>>51374721
You never find these in the same setting.
>>
>>51374064

I really like the Uplift universe when it comes to this type of story. In the series Humans (and Neochimps and Neodolphins) are the plucky underdogs who keep pulling wins out of their asses, but this isn't really due to some unspecified quality of Humanity but due to the fact that Humans weren't raised to sapience into a billions year old civilization of stagnation. And later in the series we meet member of alien species who have intentionally gone primitive and rejected the galactic civilization, and with just a little push from humanity end up going their own way and they are much like humans in that they are able to grow, change, and adapt without just being humans in a different body.
>>
>>51374682
>technology is considered right because humans are advanced and need resources

Yep, but resources are finite, so better direct all the resources and research into the whole mass and energy theory and create infinite mass and energy.

>humans are considered right because androids refuse to accept tradition and biology that threatens them

Why not give the androids a biological upgrade and make them techno-organic?
>>
>>51379561
Well, they do kinda get in the way when you're putting in roads.
>>
>>51373465
>when you make humans unambiguously right, you are a little egocentric
No you're not.
>>
>>51373363
>humans are a faction
>advanced horticulturalism doesn't have environmental impacts beyond the positive
>humans don't immediately abuse the shit out of AI
>AI looks enough like a person that it either has or desires rights
>whole classes of beings acting like Bethesda RPG factions complete with varying degrees of sympathy and plot holes
>just wanting to alter how sympathetic your favorite faction is rather than scrapping the whole thing

Humans are virtually never a compelling entity as a whole in a story because it's hard to get a good look at something from inside it. It's kind of similar to the reason characters based on the author are so often so weak.

On the topic of peeves in general, the "high minded" shit often isn't much better.
>people have consistent identities, reliable memories, and a clear understanding of the motivations that drive their actions
>they both value and retain these things in a transition into something other than human
>they make the transition willingly rather than largely by accident or for reasons that aren't really clear to them either in the moment or in retrospect

>digital/dream/magic worlds look like the real world but with solipsistic power fantasies and whatever special effects are hot now
>alternatively blue shit with no consistent UI, except that space functions intuitively like space in spite of all the shit you can't do in that system (such as chatting with two people who are available to you but not to each other)
>illusions are pixel perfect recreations of things rather than concepts standing in for objects (the viewer is projecting the idea of a tree into the space) or pixel perfect recordings from past experience, leaving the implications of those alternatives unexplored
>>
>Not having the human/android fighting end up completely fucking pointless since all the humans were actually extremely realistic androids that didn't know it.
>>
>Humans vs Androids
The Animatrix is probably one of the fastest piece of media to turn people towards the Machines and against Humans.
>>
It's a Romanticism vs Enlightenment argument.
>>
>>51373363
I thought cynicism was a central element of cyber punk. Hence the punk.

What you want is cyberhfy.
>>
>>51380337
Oh, and by the way, the setting you're looking for is either Star trek or Mass effect.
>>
>>51373363
>Inhumans vs sentinels
>>
File: 1430860624973.jpg (202KB, 1150x830px) Image search: [Google]
1430860624973.jpg
202KB, 1150x830px
>Setting is Transhumanism
>48 fucking flavors of humanity
>Erryone mah nigga
>No aliens, just different types of human and biotech animals, some of which are so different to baseline as to be alien minded so perfect excuse for 'Star Trek' aliens and earth-like ecosystems all over
>Rampant expansionism due to out of control seeder ships means that humanities expansion is exponential and explorers just keep discovering new worlds that have had life dropped on them and left to their own devices
>No unsubtle HURR, WHAT IS IT TO BE A MAN type themes, just based space niggas being excellent to one another
Truly, best setting
>>
>>51375803
It was explicitly about giving humans a hat other than "the normal guy", though.
The only way you wouldn't know this is if you were not here when it first happened.
This stance is further backed by how you seem to be adopting some sort of tribal stance instead of discussing the issue.
>>
>>51373458

You, sir, are not well read.
>>
File: hexxus.gif (32KB, 333x200px) Image search: [Google]
hexxus.gif
32KB, 333x200px
>>51373363
Hey guess what.
I wanna play as hexxus SUPER BAD.
No game lets me, though.
>>
>>51381634
I would enjoy playing/running this.
>>
>>51384774
I really love FernGully. No joke.
>>
>>51384857
Check out Energeos if you can still find anything for it online.
>>
>>51384926
>Check out Energeos if you can still find anything for it online.
All I can find is a couple of posts talking about it on /tg/.
>>
File: 1463876076666.png (359KB, 416x570px) Image search: [Google]
1463876076666.png
359KB, 416x570px
>X vs Y
>Someone is """""objectively""""" right
>>
>>51381634
So, is that organism an article of clothing or a person or both?
>>
>>51384923
Fern gully was great, but it added to my "the villains always are way cooler and have a much better time" mentality.

Now, as an adult, I fucking love polluting because everyone doing it, be it from captain planet or fern gully, is having a great time and getting super rich.
>>
>>51384967
Maybe contact the author if you can find him? He joined the military and might have died, though.
>>
>>51384704
>It was explicitly about giving humans a hat other than "the normal guy", though.

That's just about never been the scenario though. Humans as the baseline doesn't necessarily mean they're "normal" (especially because normal is relative), and more importantly they tend to have a degree of versatility that makes them either the strongest or one of the strongest playable races.

What most game designers don't do is try to define humanity with narrow and naive definitions, which is a common and embarrassing symptom of HFY.
And, there's never been an "explicit" HFY purpose, with different people arguing different reasons, each more inane than the last. Ultimately, it's just a purposeless writing prompt for people who have warped perceptions, somehow believing that the most victorious and popular race in fiction both isn't interesting enough or doesn't win enough, so they tackle that imaginary issue by writing terrible fiction with humanity succeeding by exaggerated aspects poorly understood by the writer that are then treated as the sole defining features of a race not quite so easily defined.

HFY is like a bizarre way to willfully make yourself stupid, to stop looking at stories in any terms beyond "are the humans winning or losing?" Even attempts to break away from this crippling question just end up going the long route back to it, because HFY has always only ever been a terrible joke made to address a non-issue.
>>
>>51385966
>That's never the scenario though
>most game designers make humans the baseline versatile guys

You literally are agreeing with them RIGHT NOW and you don't even know it.
>>
>>51373363
>What are the settings where humans, who can't even decide themselves which side they are on in even the most basic political questions, are on the virtuous side
Gee, I wonder. Maybe some kind of grand utopia where everyone is a clone of Bob the fiscally conservative everyman from Michigan.

In grand Bobtopia, humans are on the side of virtue, because every human is fiscally conservative Bob.
>>
>>51386070
>baseline versatile
>boring normal

You seem stupid. The baseline is because something needs to be the baseline, and humans are chosen because they're not only the only real race so we actually have a frame of reference, but they're also the race we should be innately familiar with. Having Elves have +2 vision and humans +0 is no different from having humans have -2 vision and elves +0 instead. "Normal" is relative, and treating humans as the outlier serves no purpose for a game.

Versatile is far from being boring, and is in fact what enables humans to be the key to many of the more interesting character types. Beyond being the most popular race in every edition of D&D and just about every other game as well, they also tend to be one of the stronger races, and this "versatility" is the core of that.

To not understand this, and to complain about how the designers didn't decide to try and hamfist a "all humans are X" definition onto them, is being stupid and upset for all the wrong reasons. Everyone defines humans differently, from person to person, and the "versatility" allowed by the designers is so that each person can come to their own individual conclusions without trying to force their personal definitions on anyone else.

No human enjoys another human telling them that they can define humans better than they can.
>>
>>51386324
>There needs to be a baseline, so we always choose humans
Yes, that is their point, and the thing they disliked.
>>
>>51386324
>>51386369
Humans being the boring versatile ones is sort of super played out.
As is us being the diplomatic ones.
>>
Just make the Human vs Android thing like any real life revolution, the sides may not be "wrong" but they are total assholes to each other and from an outside point of view both are unlikeable cunts.
>>
>>51386369
>the thing they dislike is the thing that makes sense and has no reason to be disliked except due to warped perceptions

It's like you're trying to be stupid.

>>51386405
What part of what was written didn't seem to get through to you? It's not "played out", it's what makes sense. It's like trying to say that humans being human is played out, which is largely why most HFY stories aren't about humans, but bizarre caricatures of humanity created by people with very little sense looking through distorted lenses.

Humans are not boring. Their "versatility" allows people to personally define humans for themselves without forcing their ideas on people anyone who would disagree because they value different traits.

You need to stop treating your own personal mental hangups as having any basis. Calling humans boring because they serve as the baseline is forgetting that these are the same humans that the HFY idiots worship (when they're not inventing new races of "Humans except they're defined by a single trait and that results in something completely alien but I'm going to call it human anyway").
>>
>>51386923
Since you seem to be so hung up about humans being "versatile", what's your opinion of human groups that aren't portrayed in that way, but only due to backstory about said group, such as political beliefs or past incidents? Most HFY stories that are good usually have this kind of approach, and distinctly make this clear.

Diff anon btw
>>
>>51387057
"Versatile" is the wrong word. "Resistant to Singular Definition" is more appropriate.
>>
>>51386923
>>51387114
So, are you being stupid on purpose about how someone might get tired of humans being the default versatile guys?
Because it seems like you are.
>>
>>51386923
But humans shouldn't be the versatile guy if aliens exist.
Each should be good and bad at things due to natural species differences.
Them being the versatile guys is a lazy shorthand used by people who don't want to actually think hard about aliens.
>>
>>51387181
What part of my explanation seems to have failed to enter your brain? You would need to be dumb on purpose, because "default versatile" is what I'm explaining isn't what they are, it's just a failure of your perception.

>>51387213
Regardless of what aliens appear, it makes sense to first compare them using humans as the baseline. How many times does this need to be explained to you.
>>
>>51387264
How many times do you need it explained that regarding humans as a baseline is an error in perception, and they will most likely have traits unique to them like aliens do?
It seems your petty grudges are getting in the way of your capacity to understand these things.
>>
>>51381634
>No unsubtle HURR, WHAT IS IT TO BE A MAN type themes,
You are the cancer that is killing science-fiction.
>>
>>51373363
>when you realize that nature vs. technology is actually about whether to crudely remain with a dim and slow-burning light, or expire in a magnificent and fiery spark
>>
>>51373458
the matrix
>>
>>51374682

Close, but no cigar.

>Technology is considered right because with it lies the key to preserve the universe, and without its presence nature will eventually be subsumed by entropy and forgotten
>>
>Nature vs technology story
>'Antagonist' is the Earth's will made manifest or some shit
>Shows up to wipe out humans because they 'are a disease to the planet and nature itself'
>Never once is it touched on the fact that humans are a part of nature, and any other species, if they had reached human's heights, would do the exact same, all for growth of the species.
>>
>>51381634
That would be loads of fun, but I feel without some conflict their wont be much plot. Unless its something along the lines of
"Our Gorrilla Uplift niggas on Taris IV are all out of space bananas. The Tropical world of Nu Caledonia has plenty, but the local Mer people have relinquished technology for a more basic way of life, and have no means of transporting their abundant space bananas."
>>
>>51387284
What part of you thinks that humans as the baseline is a universal statement, you absolute, irredeemable, aliens-can-use-your-personal-level-of-intelligence-as-the-verifiable-nadir-of-all-species idiot?

It's just for the sake of convenience and for use as a starting point. And, if you think that a trait humans have would be unique, what you're simultaneously describing is aliens who are unique for lacking those traits. In fact, from any sensible perspective, the latter is essentially the more interesting thing you are describing, and yet you somehow think that you are making humans the ones that are more interesting. Ultimately, we are familiar with humans, and at the point where you exaggerate a trait we possess to the point where you think you can write a story about it, you've exaggerated it to the point where the humans are barely recognizable as being humans.

You can't tell me "Look how special humans are! We have two eyes, when those aliens have one hundred!" and then expect me to want to ignore the hundred-eyed alien just because you're upset because you think that no one appreciates how great having two eyes is. We do. Most of us have two eyes. We don't need to be conquering galaxies because we have two eyes for us to understand that two eyes are neat.
>>
>>51388029
>It's just for the sake of convenience because we are lazy
Yeah, that's what they've been saying. It's lazy and boring.
>>
>>51388029
Anon, you're the only one going on about conquering galaxies.
other people are going on about how humans should be markedly different than aliens, and not the bland versatile guy or diplomatic guy.
There's probably an alien out there WAY better at being versatile or diplomatic.
>>
>>51388029
I don't think you have a single statement about this topic that isn't made of strawmen from one end of the spectrum of a genre you claim to dislike and want to destroy.

I hope this isn't another one of those "If I like it, it's not the genre I don't like" scenarios like that asshole was doing with steampunk.
>>
>>51388049
Holy fuck, you're a moron.

This isn't about being lazy, it's about being intelligent.

You're the kind of guy who, when presented with a simple and elegant method, decides that instead you will choose a pointlessly roundabout that accomplishes less, produces worse, and only succeeds in satisfying you and your ego because you value that far above what you value sense and reason.

There's no reason to dislike humans as the baseline if you have a basic understanding of why humans are the baseline, and how a baseline is simply a matter of perspective.
>>
>>51388067
>other people are going on about how humans should be markedly different than aliens, and not the bland versatile guy or diplomatic guy.

You mean aliens should be markedly different from humans.

And no one said anything about bland. And rather than versatile, resistant to singular definition.
>>
>>51388091
Please, don't call HFY a genre. It's a dumb writing prompt at best, and you need to be a special kind of idiot to think that constitutes a genre.
>>
>>51388091
Try reading for once. There's a fair amount of statements there you seem to refuse to allow to sink in.

Here. Let me highlight some important passages for you.

>And, if you think that a trait humans have would be unique, what you're simultaneously describing is aliens who are unique for lacking those traits.

>Ultimately, we are familiar with humans, and at the point where you exaggerate a trait we possess to the point where you think you can write a story about it, you've exaggerated it to the point where the humans are barely recognizable as being humans.
>>
>>51388174
Those points don't really hold any weight, anon.
>>51388133
>It's not bland, I just refuse to try to accurately gauge what they are good at because it will offend somebody. I don't care how boring that is

That's pretty much the entire argument here.
>>
>>51388122
Anon, understanding why they are the baseline doesn't make it less boring, overplayed, and lame. Your argument is based entirely around the idea that it's impossible for someone to get bored of a thing if they understand it.
>>51388144
It's a genre now. It's even got dedicated haters and everything.
>>
>modern /tg/ shits on things it used to like because it is full of hipsters and no oldfags
>hipsters can't even recall the correct order of events, but argue until they are blue in the face anyway based on strange impressions and incorrect timelines
How "cringey"
>>
>>51388939
Stop being willfully stupid, anon.

>it's bland because I say humans being humans is bland

Humans are not changed in the translation into statistics. They have their full capabilities and moreso.

You call it boring, because, once again, you are an utter moron who fails to understand that what we're talking about is a matter of perspective, something you fail to wrap your head around no matter how many times its repeated to you, you dense fuck.

You want to define humanity. You want it to be the X race or the Y race, when all you are doing is creating and defining fictional races by what they lack, and stupidly thinking that you are doing something novel when you're just going about the process ass backwards.

Also, it's not a matter of offending anyone. It's a matter of you trying to tell people they need to accept your version of humanity when they happen to be human too.

Tell me, how long have you been this stupid? This is some particularly ingrained stupidity that seems to be coming from you.
>>
>>51389107
>It's boring because you're stupid, you couldn't possibly understand the reasons why people do it and then still find it boring even though they do it every single time
You've hit full retard, anon.
>>
>>51388972
>Anon, understanding why they are the baseline doesn't make it less boring, overplayed, and lame.

Try understanding it first before you decide its "boring, overplayed, and lame." It sounds like you actually may be too stupid to understand why it's done, even when it's explained to you.

You genuinely seem like a moron, because this is not a matter of it being boring, this is it being a matter of not being stupid. The alternatives presented range from the dumbest ideas ever conceived to naive essays written by people who should be the last to consider themselves spokespeople of the human race.
>>
>>51389107
>It's not a matter of offending people, it's a matter of offending people
>>51389054
Hipsterism apparently rots the mind.
>>
>>51389127
>people do something smart
>that's boring

No, you're stupid.
>>
File: caveman science fiction.jpg (634KB, 960x1299px) Image search: [Google]
caveman science fiction.jpg
634KB, 960x1299px
>>51373363
Humanity isn't meant to have certain powers...
>>
>>51389158
>>51389151
>You can't be bored of the thing I like and do every single time, you must not understand it, you're dumb!
Full retard achieved.
>>
>>51389154
>i don't understand basic language

Do you even understand the futility of trying to convince another human that you are more of an expert on being human than they are? Or are you permanently dumb?
>>
>>51375144
I feel like Morpheus' VR PowerPoint implied that humans messed it up it in the original movie.
>>
>>51389186
>unable to understand logical consequences
Everyone needs to be convinced of and like what you are doing! You don't want to offend anybody!
>>
>>51389179
>bored of doing the smart thing

Yes, you are dumb. You call it boring because you don't understand why people do it, even though it's been explained to you.

People do it all the time because it's the right way to do it. Being upset about that is being upset that people aren't more wrong like you, you living testament of abject failure.
>>
File: 1428475566378.png (101KB, 320x250px) Image search: [Google]
1428475566378.png
101KB, 320x250px
>>51374583
>android rights
>ultimately for the betterment of humans
>>
>>51389215
>you can't get bored of smart things
>It's smart because I say so
>It's smart because it's popular
Every single portion of your statement is full retard and indicates a basic misunderstanding of life.
You may actually be a robot.
>>
>>51373363

Humans are shit. Especially you.
>>
>>51389229
>>51389215
Man imagine a race where something being smart actually makes it not boring.
They'd be fucking titans of invention, assuming they ever finished accumulating all knowledge.
>>
>>51389214
Who are you trying to convince then? What exactly are you doing, beyond masturbating to the sound of your own voice? I'm pretty sure you've long ago decided to abandon basic communication skills, but it's absolutely bizarre that you've forgotten even a basic purpose of communication.

If you are telling people "Humans are X" and they have no reason to ever agree with you because only an idiot would present those kinds of limits to humanity, why do you keep trying to tell people "Humans are X"?

Rhetoric question, don't bother flapping your lips any more.
>>
>>51389255
Eh, they'd have a disadvantage of actually inventing stuff, because a lot of invention is doing dumb things for smart reasons.
You need dumb smart people for invention.
Like the sophons.
>>
>>51389265
>All fiction exists to convince people of something because I am unable to imagine fiction that does not have some kind of political authorial intent
I think this guy is breaking down, he's getting more and more detached from reality.
>>
>>51389229
I've explained why people do it, why it's smart, and why it's popular.

So shut up already, you retard.
You're bored? Of what essentially amounts to "You can define humans as whatever you personally want without imposing that everyone agrees with you", or, effectively infinite definitions without pretension?

Eat a dick, you dumb faggot. Choke on it, and maybe that will cure you of your boredom of other people not being an idiot like you.
>>
>>51389268
>>51389255
Yeah, they'd be more some kind of weird archival race.
Actually, probably the kind of thing one of the stupid smart races would make.
>>
>>51389285
>strawmanning

Guess you're done here, you moron. You've been strawmannning quite a bit, but at this point, you're not even trying to pretend to be anywhere close to what I'm saying.

Quit being retarded already, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>51389302
>you are stupid for being bored of this thing that is done over and over!
>you insist everyone agrees with you whenever you write a thing!
Man, that second one is such an absurd strawman.
What kind of guy thinks every bit of fiction exists to convince people of things?
>>
>>51389319
>I didn't say that
funny, because you did in
>>51389302
>>51389265
For some reason the idea of convincing people that this work of fiction is true is super important to you, going by your posts.
>>
File: 1458309322464.jpg (651KB, 791x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1458309322464.jpg
651KB, 791x1068px
>>51373363
What bothers me more is that nature only seems to ever come up in opposition to technology, so it's really a plot that's stuck in sci-fi, cyberpunk, or post-apoc stories.

You could argue fantasy includes it against civilization, but that's more because natural things are considered part of disorder and chaos. Aside from token druids in adventuring parties and wood elves (which is a cliche that a lot of people see and avoid anyway), you never really get to see nature in a positive light, let alone as a major part of a campaign.
>>
>>51389353
Nature sort of really sucks, though.
That makes it hard to portray it well in anything but the most optimistic of story.
>>
>>51389326
How many times can "it's the right way to do it" not enter your thick skull?

Oh, I get it. You're just genuinely retarded.
You're going to keep doing things the wrong way no matter how people explain to you that your half-assed attempts at defining humanity are retarded and about as interesting as listening to people ask "what if humans stopped being humans but were still called humans" and none of them appreciating the irony.
>>
>all this "humans are varied and undefinable!" shit running around the thread
Humans are easy to define.
They're those weird tribalistic monkey fucks who don't get tired fast.
Yall are crazy.
>>
>>51379910
good argument friend
>>
>>51389383
I dunno, they seem pretty interesting.
I mean you were interested enough in them to argue vehemently about them for, what, hours?
And interesting enough for people to be on the lookout for any mention of them in order to get into hours long arguments about it.
Say what you will, but calling them uninteresting is pretty self defeating.
>>
>>51389414
The only interesting part is how stupid they have to be. You have to be pretty damn retarded.
>>
>>51389383
>People can't get bored of things that I declare the right way to do it! That's impossible!
>>51389438
I think the problem here is you are too dumb to enjoy HFY. That explains your entire post chain.
>>
>>51389386
>Humans are easy to define. They're those plucked chicken–looking fucks with broad nails.
>>
>>51389447
Yeah, you have to be pretty stupid to not see the enjoyable parts of HFY.
Doubly so to make claims about what people can get bored of. You can get bored of anything. The internet taught us that.
>>
>>51389447
You wouldn't be "bored" if you understood what makes it not boring. Your own stupidity is at fault, because it was explained to you already, but you are just genuinely a moron.

Fuck, how dumb do you have to be to declare humans boring for no other reason than that their statistics and abilities are presented in a useful manner, and then say pigeon-holing would make them interesting?

You fucking moron.
>>
>>51389470
that's more a physical definition than a niche definition, mr. ancient greek guy
>>
>>51389480
Nah, people can get bored of anything, understanding or not.
I know you have this real solid objective opinion thing going on here, but people really can get bored of fucking anything.
>>
Can't any of you niggers learn an insult besides "dumb," "stupid" or "retarded"?

English is a really great language for insults, if you're just willing to put the work in.
>>
>>51389514
Apparently not, this guy's entire thesis is based on how you have to be dumb to not like his opinion.
>>
>>51389470
Go to bed Diogenes, you are being mean.
>>
>>51389497
Before you tell me of what people can find boring, try not being an idiot first.

You've literally got humans as is, and you say you're bored of that because the infinite exploration of what each of us defines as humans is apparently less exciting than "Humans being good at running long distances" or some other equally trivial shit like cooking or breathing oxygen.

You're not just an ordinary moron. You're a barely-fit-to-be-called-human moron.
>>
>>51389514
Repetition is necessary for idiots of this level.
You have to call them an idiot a hundred times before they even consider the idea.
>>
>>51389532
>You don't like my opinion, you must be stupid
>Only dumb people get bored!
God forbid someone enjoys the idea of humans being good at a thing.
>>
>>51389542
see? What'd I say. He's got to call people dumb or else what he's saying falls apart.
>>
>>51389548
>god forbid I be an idiot in the face of common sense and understanding

God forbid.

Stop being an idiot already, and do yourself a favor and actually read what the fuck I'm telling you instead of willfully ignoring it all just so you can maintain your stance of "Humans are boring because we're familiar with them and that upsets me because I can't comprehend that's not enough to make something as vast as the breadth of humanity boring."

You're bored because you're an idiot. That's what idiots get when faced with questions they can't comprehend. You need to simplify it down to your level, you moron, and that level is apparently "Humans need to be good at one thing, otherwise I'm bored."

Fuck, how dumb you must be.
>>
>>51389542
I don't know which anon you are, or what side of the argument you're on, but I do know that you're a loud-mouthed wasting disease that should have been sprayed across your mother's face for an extra fifteen dollars. And what's more you're a dumb idiot retarded dumb stupid.
>>
File: 1424321813912.jpg (36KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1424321813912.jpg
36KB, 450x600px
>>51389514
>put the work in
>insulting strangers over the internet
Someone's feeling euphoric tonight.
>>
>>51389574
>bitching about people willfully ignoring you while willfully ignoring the other argument for the entire duration of the conversation
Not once did you read the post you were responding to. It is a shame that your tribalistic bullshit is getting in the way of conversation here.
>>
>>51389580
Your half-assed insults are embarrassing. You're really not as clever as you really wish you were.
>>
>cyberpunk setting where the central theme isn't that humanities are using technology to be the same sorts of dicks to each other that they've always been

That's not fucking cyberpunk.
>>
>>51389532
I think we're going to have people being tired of all that namby pamby infinite human possibility shit until after everyone who grew up with "everyone is special' schooling dies.
>>51389591
Man, that sailed right over your head.
>>
>>51389366
But treemen and dryads and all sorts of mushroom and vine monsters and satyrs and stuff...
>>
>>51389580
It's actually pretty amazing how cordial the pro HFY guys are being when faced with the anti-HFY guy's low level insults. I gotta give them a hand for being good sports about it even though the other guy is petulant as fuck.
>>
>>51389597
It's not even infinite possibility. It's just trying to comprehend a question that has an answer that's more complex than "humans need to be good at one thing."

That answer has humans stop being humans.
And that makes it dumb.
>>
>>51389616
>If humans happen to be good at something in comparison to aliens, they aren't human
>If a system uses some other race as the baseline and humans are a crazy outlier, the humans aren't actually human
I mean, yeah everyone has a right to an opinion, but yours is kind of crazy and exclusionary of all others.
>>
>>51389615
Pat yourself on the back if you want, but you're just hoping that being a pussy is enough to hide how much of a dumb faggot you are.

Add that to the fact that you can't really call someone educating you on really basic shit an idiot without looking dumber in the exchange, and it's hardly worth jerking yourself like you are.
>>
>>51389612
>nature forming cool things that we can talk to and interact with
>not just forming a million dickwasps to sting you and then fuck you
See, this is what I was talking about. You can only portray nature positively if you are super optimistic about it.
>>
>>51389640
A nice round of facts and opinions would cheer you right up.
>>
This thread makes me want a system where humans are the weirdos with all sorts of special rules required to play them, and everyone else is some kind of fucking crazy alien space monster.
>>
>thread hijacked by antiHFY nofunallowed retard

Every time. Are you CTR or something?
>>
>>51389726
That's just the power of easily triggered crazy people, anon.
They have no jobs and all day to go on about things they don't like.
>>
>>51389667
Start building it. Hopefully, it'll be what finally makes you realize how stupid the idea is.
>>
>>51389738
Man you a nut, anon.
>>
>>51389667
My favorite version of that is in caves of qud, where the expected hero is a mutant with all sorts of powers.
An alternate hero type you can choose is pure human. No powers, but fucking huge stats. Because he's a genetically perfect uuberman.

Really split up the gameplay.
>>
>>51389746
Go on. Maybe all you really needed was to actually try designing a system to really understand why people do the things they do.
>>
>>51389733
Ugh. Can't he accept that people have different interpretations of humanity?
>>
>>51389772
Caves of qud is sick. I always play extreme egomancers with light manipulation. Miiiind lasers!
>>
>>51389615
No one here is pro-HFY. They're pro-the original concept which inspired it, giving humans a recognizable niche in a setting the way most aliens have one, which is a far cry from the rotting pile that HFY is.
>>
>>51389640
>>51389890
Go, shoo. This is /tg/, not /b/.
>>
>>51389890
You've got no grace, buck.
>>
>>51389901
Those are clearly two different people.
>>
>>51389915
He didn't say they were.
Are you?
>>
>>51389254
And if you think getting rid of them will change everything, bad news. Everyone else is just as bad, if not worse.

Spell LIVE backwards and you get EVIL. Coincidence, or a subtle hint that life itself was a mistake?
>>
File: 1418458031667.jpg (2MB, 2026x1480px) Image search: [Google]
1418458031667.jpg
2MB, 2026x1480px
Which is actually cooler, technology or nature?
>>
>>51373458
BSG
>>
>>51381634
Check out the "Fragged Empire" system. It's baseline setting is pretty close to this.
>>
File: I1TBl29.gif (2MB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
I1TBl29.gif
2MB, 256x256px
>>51389984
Why not both?
>>
File: 1483484525746.gif (794KB, 486x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483484525746.gif
794KB, 486x600px
>>51389984
I gotta say technology.

Even though the real answer is artificially generated nature.
>>
>>51374533
Pretty much this. OP was dumb for looking for clear "virtue" in cyberpunk.

There's plenty of sci-fi where humans are good, why specify cyberpunk?
>>
File: 1443632678978-1.jpg (19KB, 159x152px) Image search: [Google]
1443632678978-1.jpg
19KB, 159x152px
>stupid!
>dumb!
Learn some new words kids
>>
>>51389910
You've got no style
You've got no grace
This Kong has got a funny face
>>
It's almost like allegory helps us explore modern issues.
>>
It's almost like not everybody wants to explore social issues with their leisure activities.
>>
>>51373488
>
I would consider GK more a a WoD style urban horror. Also, I suspect the pace might pick up a little in light of recent events.
>>
File: 1453915533678.jpg (141KB, 960x780px) Image search: [Google]
1453915533678.jpg
141KB, 960x780px
>>51390205
>>51390235
Can we healthily resolve this difference of opinion?
>>
>>51374783
I was in the very first HDY thread, from when we were all bitching about Avatar's magical alien Indians
I remember three stories from its earliest days: the one where we get our shit together but an alien RKV fucks our shit anyway and we go on hyper mode, one where aliens reach their moon and find a plaque placed there by a human welcoming them to space, and one where we're from spaces Bermuda Triangle and play up that angle to troll everyone.
>>
>>51390262
NO
>>
>>51380040
Didn't Megaman kind of end up like this?
>>
>>51390343
yes, actually.
That's the final plot twist of megaman legends.
>>
>>51390017
Okay, wtf is that?
>>
>>51390528
Animation of a motor protein.
>>
>>51373363
How would androids vs nature look like?
>>
>>51390604
Studio Ghibli films and half the Xbox/GC/PS2 JRPG's that ever came out.
>>
File: 1473351914636.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473351914636.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>51373363
If you want a HUMANITY FUCK YEAH setting then cyberpunk is one of the worst places to look. Ambiguous morality is practically a staple of the genre.

As for settings that hold humanity in high regard compared to everything else literally any setting with an alien invasion of some sort will do.
>>
File: android.jpg (341KB, 775x1300px) Image search: [Google]
android.jpg
341KB, 775x1300px
>>51373363
I'd like to fuck over the Ranger and the Druid, say "to hell with this tree hugging bullshit!" and join with the technologists.

Fun fact: Nature doesn't give a shit of you life happily or die in agony shitting yourself to death. Therefore, the only logical end is fr humanity to embrace transhumanism, science and technology in the name of survival. Anything else is nothing but feelgood bullshit and stupidity.
>>
>>51373363
>ctrl+f princess mononoke
>0 hits

I mean it's not a perfect example, but I can't think of anything closer. The technology side in the movie see all the creatures of the forest as demons, which to be fair it hosts a LOT of them. The strength of nature seems to be fading with the advancement of guns and other tech, but not all is lost. A few guardians still remain that understand the well being that the spirits of nature are supposed to provide. Caught in the middle of the fight is the protagonist- a man cursed by evil and charged with healing himself and ultimately saving his home.
>>
>>51390741
I thought the protagonist was a teenage girl who rides gliders better than everyone else.
>>
>>51390759
Different film by the same company.
Incidentally also a story of nature and machine, but far more one sided.
>>
File: 1483791317175.png (102KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1483791317175.png
102KB, 500x442px
>>51387790
I'd love to see this though if humans who started living like Australopithecines were spared by the "Earth's Will" creature(s). Sort of like how in Predator the alien would only kill you if you were armed. Then it becomes a question of "is losing everything that makes us human worth avoiding extinction?" That's a genuinely interesting question.
>>
File: ps-modron-01.png (259KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ps-modron-01.png
259KB, 800x600px
>>51389470
Humans are easy to define. They're those guys who fuck everything but don't like being naked for some reason. They fucked the sky once or twice.
>>
>>51389642
>>51389366
Well nature includes crops to eat, animals to hunt and air, water, wood and stone to build homes and pretty much everything else we need. And it's not like this stuff is super hard to get, most of it is just lying around.

It just happens that we aren't the only ones occupying "nature." It doesn't centre around us but that's a pretty shitty reason to put it down as evil.
>>
>>51391031
I'm not putting it down as evil.
I'm putting it down as AWFUL.
Slight but very important difference.
>>
>>51379819
>Why not give the androids a biological upgrade and make them techno-organic?

Because that's my fetish.
>>
>>51389890

I'm pro-HFY. It's a decent trope, people just get too upset that's it's open for anyone to contribute to.
>>
>>51373363
Modern urban liberalism is a religion. Environmentalism is its original sin, and transhumanism is its rapture.
>>
>>51391664
>trope

It's not a trope though.

It's not anything except people saying "Oh, humans win? Yeah, that's HFY."

People try to define it, try to give it purpose, try to formalize it give it some semblance of structure, but at the end of the day the stories themselves are just human wank, and anything it's supposed to address is a non-issue.

You can try to claim it's not shit or that its a trope or genre, but the stories assembled in the HFY collections themselves say otherwise.
>>
>>51392263

Yes, it is a trope. Look up what trope means.

But I do like that you try to define what it is, and then try to say people aren't allowed to try to define what it is. So allow me to say HFY is just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane. You may not like it, or even agree with it, but it hardly matters.
>>
>humans need a specific niche!
>no they don't
>yes they do, otherwise they're boring
>that's not true, humans are the most popular race likely because they don't have a predefined niche and they can vary greatly from character to character

>no they are boring
>what niche then
>what
>what niche should humans have that isn't a terrible idea
>well, anything I suggest is just going to be picked apart because humans are not homogenous and there's wildly varying opinions as to what defines us, so any answer is weak and only provides enough for a "what if?" question. "What if humans were the [blank] race?" really can't go very far because it's imposing a cultural limitation on humans that isn't sustainable for any prolonged examination, and any answer I gave you would just be argued against because likely the only way I could even try to define humanity is by presenting invented races to serve as anti-humans

>so, what niche?
>I don't need a specific answer, I can change it however I want
>so humans don't need a specific niche
>but they do, because otherwise they're boring
>>
>>51392314
The stories don't match your definition. You can't say "HFY is this pointless personal definition that excludes the majority of the stories written for HFY" and then expect anyone to accept it. You can pretend that it's one of the professed purposes of HFY, but it falls apart under any scrutiny and fails as any major definition.
>>
>>51392451

Name one HFY story that doesn't match the definition. Go ahead.
>>
>>51392523
Even the infamous "humans breathe oxygen" story doesn't match your definition, because it's less about allowing a different point of view on the mundane, and more about masturbating to the insignificant.

You can try to use euphemisms, but there's no exploration, only exaltation, in the most cringe-inducing manner just short of the aliens deciding to give humanity a collective blowjob at the end.
>>
>>51392603

>Even the infamous "humans breathe oxygen" story doesn't match your definition, because it's less about allowing a different point of view on the mundane, and more about masturbating to the insignificant.

So you picked one that perfectly matched what I was saying, and then just went "nuh uh, I don't like it". It's still about us taking being able to breathe oxygen and making it something we take for granted.

>You can try to use euphemisms, but there's no exploration, only exaltation, in the most cringe-inducing manner just short of the aliens deciding to give humanity a collective blowjob at the end.

Still waiting for you to give an example that doesn't match my definition. Go ahead, you get another chance.
>>
>>51392687
You missed the point. Your definition ignores that it's less about simply viewing a lesser trait in a new perspective, because that would include negative approaches. Your definition is barely half-true, because it serves only as a lip-service front to the actual underlying purpose, an ultimately mindless exaltation of Humans, with your personal definition falling into "masturbate to the most banal shit."

It's called Humanity Fuck Yeah, not "making mountains out of humanity's molehills."
>>
>>51392914

>says a definition doesn't apply to the stories
>can't find one example to prove he's right so says the definition now isn't valid

Whatever, you got called out. Take it like a man.
>>
>>51392959
>doesn't understand what someone told him
>still persists

Why. I just have to repeat what was already said, just for you to repeat the cycle of either feigned or genuine ignorance.
>>
>>51373363
>what are some cyberpunk settings where humans are on the side of virtue and the other guys are just assholes?
Blade Runner. The movie can be interpreted to have the androids in a more positive light, but in the book they are more explicitly assholes.
>>
>>51393075

No, no, don't squirm. You said, and I quote:

>The stories don't match your definition.

Now, when I asked you to give one example, just one little example to back up the certainty you had, you couldn't do it. Instead, you decided to try to reject the definition, and I quote:

>Your definition ignores that it's less about simply viewing a lesser trait in a new perspective, because that would include negative approaches. Your definition is barely half-true, because it serves only as a lip-service front to the actual underlying purpose, an ultimately mindless exaltation of Humans, with your personal definition falling into "masturbate to the most banal shit."

So we went from my definition not matching the stories (even though they do), to now my definition is invalid because they cover the stories too well.

Take. It. Like. A. Man. Bite down on the pillow and just stop struggling.
>>
>>51373363
> Technology vs nature
In such cases PCs create biotech horrors and confilct sides are either erased or unite to fight them.
>>
>>51393127
They don't match your definition, because your definition is neither all-encompassing, nor the shared core, and ultimately frivolous and disimgenuos. Dolling it up doesn't change that, no more than calling genocide "population-control."

I don't understand how something can be explained and resisted so fervently. It's like you don't like the taste of knowledge.

So, treat this like bitter medicine, and take these truths like a man.
>>
HFY is kind of a DUMB concept because it tries to take humanity as a hivemind where at best everyone seems to have the qualities of whoever is authoring it.

Example humans like to fuck and the story is about how humanity conquered everything by fucking things into oblivion sexually. Except watch our birth rates shatter right now.

Or humanity as being incredibly resilient, fearless, and fighting to the last drop of blood yet we have enough people just freezing whenever there is a murder going on nearby with all their survival instincts getting shut down, or soldiers dropping down and thinking they are done for the moment their vest gets hit by a bullet that didn't penetrate and at most bruised some ribs.

In the end it's stupid since humanity has a gigantic political and moral spectrum and believe different things. It just ends up glorifying some kind of image of perfect human you had in your head as the pinnacle of humanity, which is stupid.
>>
>>51393221

>They don't match your definition

Go ahead, find one example then. That or shut the fuck up with your whining. It's pathetic.
>>
>>51393253
>humans like to fuck
> Except watch our birth rates shatter right now.
Dude condoms exist. Humans don't like paying money for children they didn't intend on having.
>>
>>51393285
This goes much further. Japan has their virginity meter leaning to kissless even more with this generation.

Millennials as a whole are the generations to have the least amount of sex comparably. You could argue some but there is enough humans that just seem indifferent to sex with their own species. Saying we're all gonna fuck weird aliens is kind of strange.
>>
>>51393316
I personally, wish to fuck a weird alien.
>>
>>51393356
Get in the van weirdo
>>
>>51389993
In the original BSG, the humans are the good guys. In the reboot, everybody is terrible, but the cylons are arguably worse than the humans.
>>
>>51393278
I gave you an example already, it's just that you've failed at basic comprehension.

Calling the theme of Humans Breath Oxygen "different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane" is no different from saying "decapitation is a headache cure" or "water is toxic".

In fact, beyond the central theme of masturbation, the story revolves around presenting oxygen as poisonous and dangerous. We've got two layers of "missing the point" going on here, and you are still insisting on your disingenuous definition.

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe you. As a human, I would be embarrassed to call your ilk kin.
>>
>>51393463

>still can't prove his point
>getting all buttflustered

ONE EXAMPLE
N
E

E
X
A
M
P
L
E
>>
>>51393492
>if I ignore his point, I win!

What a fucking loser you must be.
>>
>>51393517

One example.
>>
>>51393532

>>51393463
>>
>>51393517
One example.

It's cowardly and shows a lack of integrity to make accusations without proof. Provide one example.
>>
>>51393576
Thats disimgenous
>>
>>51393576

Unos examplos.
>>
>>51393590
Ignoring proof is ten times more cowardly.
>>
>>51393624

Provide proof, then. One example.
>>
>>51393658

>>51393463

We can do this all day, except you look dumber each time.
>>
>>51393673

And you look more like a cunt. One example, just to prove yourself right. Go on, do it.
>>
>>51393690
Learn to read.

>>51393463
>>
>>51393750

Fine, I'll tear your shit apart if you really insist on it:

>I gave you an example already, it's just that you've failed at basic comprehension.

The example fits my definition perfectly.

>Calling the theme of Humans Breath Oxygen "different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane" is no different from saying "decapitation is a headache cure" or "water is toxic".

Completely redundant and irrelevant.

>In fact, beyond the central theme of masturbation, the story revolves around presenting oxygen as poisonous and dangerous. We've got two layers of "missing the point" going on here, and you are still insisting on your disingenuous definition.

The "story" is that aliens find us terrifying because we breathe something considered poisonous to them, while we don't even think of it. It's exactly something "that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane".

>Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe you. As a human, I would be embarrassed to call your ilk kin.

More foot-stamping tantrums from you to distract from the fact you have fuck all to disprove me with.

Now that's done, back on with the show: ONE EXAMPLE, YOU THICK FUCK.
>>
>>51393807
>Completely redundant and irrelevant.

Not at all.
In fact, it the crux of why your definition is irrelevant and meaningless.

So, we're back to square one, with you being stupid, your definition pointless, and missing what makes HFY HFY.
>>
>>51393826

Why can't you find one example that disproves me? One example.
>>
>>51393839
Sure thing.

>>51393463
>>
>>51393871

Already refuted. Give me one example.
>>
>>51393881
>refuted

You mean you tried to dismiss the central argument as irrelevant because you couldn't refute it.
>>
>>51393910

No, that's you just trying to avoid responsibility for your own failure. This is what you said:

>The stories don't match your definition.

I've asked you to provide one example. You've been unable to.

So, where's an example?
>>
>>51393937
>I've asked you to provide one example. You've been unable to.

Except you're ignoring this.
>>51393463

In fact, you've gone so far as to read it, read the central argument, and then deliberately say "No, please, don't argue that, please don't bring that up, I literally can't handle that."
>>
>>51393966

I'm ignoring nothing. The example you gave perfectly matches my definition.

>a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane
>aliens view oxygen as a poison and humans don't, which scares aliens

Now, if my definition is so wrong, you should be able to find dozens of examples disproving me. I'm only asking for one.
>>
>>51393999
Calling the theme of Humans Breath Oxygen "different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane" is no different from saying "decapitation is a headache cure" or "water is toxic".
In fact, beyond the central theme of masturbation, the story revolves around presenting oxygen as poisonous and dangerous. We've got two layers of "missing the point" going on here, and you are still insisting on your disingenuous definition.
Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe you. As a human, I would be embarrassed to call your ilk kin.
>>
>>51394017

Already refuted here >>51393807

One example.
>>
>>51394032
>refuted

You mean you tried to dismiss the central argument as irrelevant because you couldn't refute it.
>>
>>51393316
Probably because courtship is costly and people are beginning to realize they can do things besides have children. Probably a bit of a population scare too.

Though obviously this will vary by part of the world too.
>>
>>51394043

Your central argument is that the HFY stories don't match my definition, and we've already established the oxygen breather ones fits. So go ahead, find me one example.
>>
>>51394087

>>
>>51394098

Either re-write your shitty post to make sense to this imaginary point you insist you've made (despite it clearly being that the HFY stories don't match my definition, which has no proof so far), or accept it's been refuted.

Now where's my one example?
>>
>>51394126
Or, you can try reading it once. Or, at least stop pretending to be as stupid as you seem to be.
Like I said earlier, you being stupid this long just makes you look dumber.

Apparently, there's not even any room for you to argue, Mr. "I-reject-any-point-that-I-can't-refute." I can understand why you've given up and are hoping to move past the point that unravels your everything.
>>
>>51394188

So now you can't even clarify this point you've apparently made and I've apparently missed? Makes me think you never had one and it's all been a weak attempt to deflect. It didn't work, though did it.

One example.
>>
>>51394203
>now you can't even clarify this point you've apparently made and I've apparently missed?

Here, let me help you out.
>Calling the theme of Humans Breath Oxygen "different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane" is no different from saying "decapitation is a headache cure" or "water is toxic".

You've got the choice of either continuing to pretend to be stupid, or give up, because there's nothing here that's particularly hard to grasp. But, here's a last bit of help. Like I said earlier, you might as well be calling genocide "population control." Your definition is so far off the actual mark, it's embarrassing for you to even try to present it.
>>
Again, you're not re-writing your point to make any sense. Right now, all you're offering is something I've already refuted. I'll even do it again, just you it gets into your thick head.

Completely irrelevant and redundant. Obviously humans breath oxygen fits my definition because it is aliens seeing humans as frightening over something we see as mundane. The decapitation and water bit is nonsensical and if you really think that's an argument, you're a moron.

>In fact, beyond the central theme of masturbation, the story revolves around presenting oxygen as poisonous and dangerous. We've got two layers of "missing the point" going on here, and you are still insisting on your disingenuous definition.

It's very clearly taking something we find mundane and looking at it from a different viewpoint. The exact same as my definition. How are you so retarded not to see that?

>You've got the choice of either continuing to pretend to be stupid,

Which isn't the case.

>or give up,

Nah, not when I've got you by the balls.

>because there's nothing here that's particularly hard to grasp.

Other than why you can't see how wrong you are. One example and you can't even do that.

>But, here's a last bit of help. Like I said earlier, you might as well be calling genocide "population control."

Another completely irrelevant strawman. If you want to argue analogies, you need to get ones that fit.

>Your definition is so far off the actual mark, it's embarrassing for you to even try to present it.

And yet you can't refute it with a single example.

One fucking example, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>51394334
You might as well be trying to argue that what defines HFY is assembling letters in long sequences. You're ignoring the point even when it's explained twenty times already.

>And yet you can't refute it with a single example.

Already did, it's just you refuse to actually listen to what's being told to you.
>>
>>51394334
>The decapitation and water bit is nonsensical and if you really think that's an argument, you're a moron.

>the point
>your head
>>
>>51394394

>You might as well be trying to argue that what defines HFY is assembling letters in long sequences. You're ignoring the point even when it's explained twenty times already.

So your other point (which I already made clear ages ago here >>51393127) is that my definition is now far too broad, even though you started by saying it was just incorrect?

That point is fucking nonsensical. It means absolutely nothing. HFY is about taking the mundane and seeing it from an alien perspective. If you can disprove that with an example, go ahead and fucking do it. If you can't, fuck off and take your "oh but it covers all the examples too well so it doesn't count" with you.

>Already did, it's just you refuse to actually listen to what's being told to you.

Humans breathe oxygen is the perfect example to prove my definition. The fact you keep referring to that makes me realize you're actually a cripple.
>>
>>51394454
>HFY is about taking the mundane and seeing it from an alien perspective.

Except you're missing the point with that useless definition. Keep in mind that most HFY is very far from the "mundane", exaggerating traits like exceptional mindless bloodlust or sexual prowess. More importantly, it's not about looking at them in an alien perspective, but to congratulate humans for possessing that trait. We're not saying "look how disgusting humans are for breathing poison", it's "Holy shit, they breathe rocket fuel, they're the badasses of the universe."

The example presented shatters your definition. This has been explained fifty times now.
Are you still going to pretend to be stupid?
>>
>>51394499

>Except you're missing the point with that useless definition.

You mean the definition you can't refute.

>Keep in mind that most HFY is very far from the "mundane", exaggerating traits like exceptional mindless bloodlust or sexual prowess.

Nope, they're all mundane for us in comparison to how the alien sees them.

>More importantly, it's not about looking at them in an alien perspective, but to congratulate humans for possessing that trait.

But we are looking at them from an alien perspective.

>We're not saying "look how disgusting humans are for breathing poison", it's "Holy shit, they breathe rocket fuel, they're the badasses of the universe."

My definition says nothing about it needing to be disgusting.

>The example presented shatters your definition.

Not even slightly. It seems you just don't understand what the definition is, despite basic English.

>This has been explained fifty times now.

Nope. You repeatedly referred back to a single refuted post with a couple of irrelevant strawmen. No clarification, just repeated insistence that your pointless post was being overlooked, despite it having nothing to overlook to begin with.

>Are you still going to pretend to be stupid?

The only one being stupid here is you, but you aren't pretending. You tried to claim the HFY stories didn't fit my definition, but couldn't come up with a single example. Now you're trying to argue that my definition is both wrong still (despite no examples to counter it) AND that it's too broad to work. It's one or the other, retard.

Pick either argument you're trying to make, you still need to provide one fucking example of a HFY story that disproves my definition.
>>
>>51394570
>You mean the definition you can't refute.

Too late, already did.

A hundred times now.
You're looking to be told a thousand times or something?

>You tried to claim the HFY stories didn't fit my definition, but couldn't come up with a single example.

You keep saying this, only to repeat the same cycle of having your definition thrown out the window with an example that shatters it. Again and again, what a glutton for punishment you must be.

But, that's enough. You're clearly going to keep asking for examples while ignoring the ones that refute you, so I'm going to go ahead and give you one last "I can't believe you are actually this stupid, you can't even stop and say 'I was just pretending' at this point."
>>
>>51394653

One fucking example. Do it, cunt.
>>
>>51394665
>>51394653

So this is what it looks like when two autists meet in the wild. It's like watching chatbots talk at one another.
>>
>>51394665
Okie-doke.

>>51393463

Example provided.
I accept your resignation.
>>
>>51394732

Humans breathe oxygen was already shown to match my definition. Try again. If you can't link anything beyond that same refuted post, you willingly admit defeat.

One example.
>>
>>51394750
Tell me more about how genocide is population control.

You are literally too stupid. You are immune to intelligence treatments. You are cancer in ignorance form.
>>
>>51394803

One example.
>>
>>51394810
You got it, boss.

>>51393463

Example provided. For the thousandth time.
I accept your resignation.
>>
>>51394853

Linked back to the same old refuted post that only provides an example that matches my definition. Thanks for willingly accepting your defeat, even if it took you all this time to realize it.
>>
>>51394879
>refuted

Ha.
And look, you're still trying to ignore the central point.

What a moron you must be. One million times, and still nothing enters your empty skull.

You're incurably stupid.
>>
>>51394945

One example, or you admitted defeat. You couldn't do the former, so you did the latter. Don't get salty about it now, cupcake. You lost and your little mind just couldn't handle it.
>>
>>51394965
>one example

Already provided, and thus, you lose by your own admission. Glad this is finally settled.

Let me beat you to the punch.

>refuted
You just ignored it.
>one example
Already provided.

And, your loss, once again.
>>
>>51395014

Aww, he still thinks his "example" did anything more than reinforce my definition. Poor bab, even after he gave up, he still can't work out why he lost.

You know what the worst thing for you is, though? The memory of this. Whenever you see a HFY story, and the whole alien perspective on a mundane thing, you're going to remember this. You're going to remember me forcing your face down into that pillow and just fucking you senseless.

I'm sorry for that, but you really should've been smarter and just accepted you were wrong right from the off, instead of arguing with irrelevant and pointless shitposts. Too bad, cupcake.
>>
>>51395055
>Aww, he still thinks his "example" did anything more than reinforce my definition

You need to be one idiot to think that, when I explained how it unravels your purposeless definition.

And, done.
>>
>>51395072

And the bab keeps going! He's rung the bell but he's still swinging at a shadow. He couldn't offer up a counter-argument, so he sat linking the same old tired post that had absolutely fuck all in it. It's like watching a hobo who believe his empty beer bottle still has stuff in it.

Wake the fuck up, you delusional cunt. The sooner you accept you got fucked, the better you'll feel.
>>
>>51395055
> the whole alien perspective on a mundane thing,

If this is true, what if I write a story where humans suck because of something mundane?
>>
>>51395104
>giving up like this

Kind of sad. You type a lot worse than you think you do.

Thanks for the win though. Kind of sad to see you reduced to this though, but hey, you brought it on yourself by choosing to be stupid.
>>
>>51395104
>losing this hard

Give it up. You got your example, ages ago. Now, with your mental exercises spent, it's time for you to stop posting.
>>
>>51395120

It'd still be good. Imagine a story where humans are too fat to float like the aliens can, so they end up being mole-like people who fight from underground, where they can catch the floaty aliens easier?

>>51395137

And the memory of his fucking haunts him still! He's like a masochist that can't work out the safe word.
>>
>>51395155
This is getting too sad. You're almost too pathetic to be real.
>>
>>51395153

He still thinks his "example" didn't fit my definition perfectly. He's so precious.

>>51395164

You just can't stop yourself, can you? It's upset you that much that you lost. Just calm yourself down, son, and wind your neck in.
>>
>>51395164
Just leave him alone. He's not well.
>>
>>51395195

>replying to himself

Hey, knucklefuck, I can see posters haven't increased since we started all this. Don't try to act like anyone would be stupid enough to back you up.
>>
Don't do it. Just ignore him. I think this guy is legitimately sick.
>>
>>51395267

Do you not understand where the poster number is? I can see it's clearly you, you fucktard.
>>
Hey fuckfaces. You're not winning any prizes or praise for this. You are both losers.
>>
>>51395331

Here's your (You).
>>
File: HFN.png (41KB, 1327x400px)
HFN.png
41KB, 1327x400px
You know, I'm not a big fan of the humans/technology/nature conflict THING you see a lot of in fiction, but a lot of the reactions to it are fucking textbook examples of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
>>
How about this, you're all fucking morons who can't get over the thought that someone has different tastes than you.
>>
>>51395546
No, one is a brain-damaged baby that can't stop mouthshitting over the fact that his mindless masturbatory fantasies are being critically examined and keeps shoving his head further and further up his own ass to hide from the obvious, and the rest of us think that shit tastes like shit.

It's like the mentality he excretes into his HFY wankfests is the same one he uses in day-to-day life: smearing his shit all over the walls and being proud of it.
>>
>>51392398
Humans don't need the same niche in every story.
Humans might work well as generalists in baseline fantasy stock because humans are the point of entry for the reader.

In other stories, it might be better to choose aspects to emphasize that make humans a good foil for whatever else there is.
For example, first contact stories either make humans less advanced (there's a reason they found us) or more advanced (same reasoning flipped). While it's more typical for humans to find the artifacts of extinct aliens, there's no real reason why you couldn't write a story about a federation of unique aliens finding the remnants of human civilization.

HFY still usually sucks, mind. But "humans should always be X" is a shit alternative.
>>
>>51375106
it's a robot who's gay for a shadow and has a cyberarm and also is maybe the prophet for a new religion for robots centred around a strongly psychic teenaged machine savant

who is a lesbian
>>
>>51379910
well he made a declarative statement

go home boys, it's over, he's won everything forever
>>
>>51385016
yes

he's a friend who likes being a cape

but he's a squid
>>
>>51395770
Your autism and self loathing are showing, anon.
>>
>>51396115
I thought the robot had a wood arm?
>>
>>51396146
>My bro, I have decided to dedicate my life to making you look stylish as fuck.
>>
>>51390235
It's almost like leisure activities are embedded in a social context that will exist no matter how much one tries to ignore it.
>>
>>51373488
lol they look like Bratz
>>
>>51394725
Chatbots are at least interesting from a PolSci perspective. This is just...

Embarrassing? I feel like embarrassing is the right starting point but it isn't all encompassing enough...
>>
>>51396176
Cid the Squid was well liked at parties for a reason

Would that we could all be as excellent as Cid
>>
>>51396150
He did (and may still do? I can't quite remember) but he now also has a bio-mimetic arm which is some next gen cybernetic shit
>>
>>51395482
I don't understand what that expression means in this context.
>>
>>51396648
i think he means to imply that the story in the screencap he posted is bad, and that stories like it (reactions against HFY stupidity) are bad
>>
>>51396893
>>51396648
Oh no, it's kinda the other way around. I'm annoyed with the brand of HFY that desperately tries to glorify even the flaws in humanity. You know, the kind that says things like "pollution is just nature failing to fight back".

You see the same with people who, rather than try to reach an agreement with druids over the acceptable amount of logging/hunting, would instead burn down the forest. Because sustainability is for people who hate themselves, I guess.
>>
>>51397314
>with the brand of HFY that desperately tries to glorify even the flaws in humanity.

You mean HFY.
>>
>>51397314
fair
>>
>>51373363
The green text has reminded me of the Eternal Earth setting. My reaction was roughly that of the OP image.

For those unaware: It was a setting wherein historically Earth was once inhabited by both humans and Furries (I think you can already guess where this is going). Humans were generally roaming around breaking shit and tweaking their mustaches, while Furries were doing awesome things as individuals such as Beowulf and Zeus (shit you not the lore states them to have been fuzzy fleabags). Shit eventually gets so bad with humans breaking shit that the Furries are evacuated into a pocket dimension so that humanity is by itself. Of course as a result we make Robots so that we can have someone to oppress still in the time until we nuke ourselves to death / leave Earth an uninhabitable toxic wasteland. The gods come back shortly afterwards, fix everything (but keep the humans gone), bring back all the Furries they temporarily displaced along with some good Demons and Vampires that they spared (but not humans, they were all bad!) and reward the remaining Robots with souls for everything they suffered at humanity's hands / being so kind to the Furries after they returned.

I had pushed this from my mind for several years you fuck.
>>
>>51397378
I get what he's saying.

It's one thing to go 'humanity is pretty great, look at what we could accomplish compared to some other races. Despite our flaws, we're not worse than the special aliens we keep seeing.'

It's another thing to go 'humanity has no flaws, any bad thing that we do is going to help in the long run because we're just that special. Everyone else cannot deal with how great humanity is, they're baffled by sheer awesomeness.'
>>
>>51397745
>It's one thing to go 'humanity is pretty great, look at what we could accomplish compared to some other races. Despite our flaws, we're not worse than the special aliens we keep seeing.'

Which is as far from HFY as you can be while still liking humans.
It's essentially "Humanity's Not Bad", the sort of thing that most people who hate HFY can agree with.
>>
>>51397745
How often do you genuinly see that last thing in HFY threads? I mean really.
Often it's about something like humans being really great cooks or something.
Anti-HFY faggotry is just contrarianism.
>>
>>51397955
I was about to say the former is effectively nonexistant, because even when humans are simply cooks, they are cooks so good that aliens fear and respect them to the point of mindless adoration.

HFY is always about silly extremes with no sense of balance, because for humans to be just good cooks isn't enough for humans to be glorified.

HFY faggotry is just.. faggotry.
>>
>>51390017
Is that a virus that is moving via a protein chain? Can they do that
>>
File: dancing abominations.gif (922KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
dancing abominations.gif
922KB, 500x263px
Clearly nature and technology should work together against the insidious shape-shifting agents of madness and oblivion.

I mean, just look at this sick display of their false humanoid forms!
>>
>>51399175
right so i know the middle one's nyarlathotep, and the one on the right's probably Hastur or the King in Yellow because yellow hair

who's the ABOMINATION on the left?
>>
>>51398211

That's a myosin protein dragging endorphins to a receptor. You're literally watching happiness.
>>
>>51400388
Fated to watch, and never to feel.

;_;
>>
>pop in to thread hoping to talk about OP topic
>Anti HFY autists get triggered, proceed to shitpost for over 12 hours
holy shit
>>
>>51400944
it's pretty impressive
>>
>>51400944
>HFYfag gets told
>can't let it go

Sad.
>>
>>51401520
As an impartial observer, I gotta say the anti-HFY folks got blown out so hard this thread I am considering that they might be HFY folks or trolls false flagging.
>>
>>51401569
>As an impartial observer, I have to give victory to the shitters who spent the entire thread spamming U MAD while ignoring obvious facts even when they're explained to them repeatedly.
No wonder you'd like to think "they" are all false flags.
>>
File: 1441225971832.gif (2MB, 200x167px) Image search: [Google]
1441225971832.gif
2MB, 200x167px
>>51400944
So you're just popping into the thread to go 'wow this side won' instead of trying some last ditch discussing? Makes it almost seem like you're biased instead of coming in late and without reading through anything.
>>
>>51401569
I don't know what thread you read, but I'd like to know how you're posting from an alternate and much better universe where rhetoric wasn't a dead artform and teeg wasn't just spergs

angry, angry spergs
>>
>>51401569
>impartial observer

Sure. Like I said,
>HFYfag gets told
>can't let it go

Sad.
>>
>>51401938
>>51402138
see, real anti HFY fags wouldn't melt down this hard.
That's how you can tell it's HFY fags trying to make anti-HFY fags look bad.
>>
>>51402177
>someone doesn't like your bullshit
>"lol u mad, u triggered, u retarded baby, u super duper pwned" (repeat for several dozen posts)

The HFY's master pwnage plan in a nutshell.
>>
>>51400944
>made this thread because I was bored on a Tuesday night
>contribute nothing to the thread besides the OP
>two days later the thread has hit bump limit because people hate the opinions of others
I shouldn't have come here
>>
>>51402225
Real anti-HFY fags also wouldn't act like petulant little children like this, especially if they thought they won.
I mean, this is some straight up /b/ tier shit.
>>
>>51402247
/tg/ has way too many badwrong fun board policemen. They derail every third thread with meaningless shitstorms.
It sort of makes this place way worse for actually discussing things. Most discussion occurs in generals these days as a result.
>>
>>51395770

The little spastic is still upset he lost and couldn't come up with one example.
>>
>>51402248
>>51402269
>lol u mad, u triggered, u retarded baby, u super duper pwned
This nutshell is bigger than I thought.

That's to be expected, of course. HFY is basically a self-congratulatory love song to random and mundane things about humanity, so it's no surprise that its supporters would proudly boast about their misbehavior as if it were some sort of ultimate victory.
>>
>>51401938
>>51402083
>>51402138

All this samefagging.
>>
>>51402324
>complains about being insulted when his entire argument up until now has been insults
So, troll confirmed?
Shit, I was hoping that you were legitimate in your beliefs, and not just trying to start a ruckus.
>>
>>51402266
This has been a growing problem on /tg/ for a while now.
There's not much that can be done about it, sadly. Not even bans work on them, in this age of easy evasion.
>>
>>51402366
>complains about being insulted when his entire argument up until now has been insults
That's you. All you've done is claim victory and spew fountains of insults while ignoring (or denying without logic) what people are actually saying to you.
>>
>>51402410
You sort of lost any ground to stand on there when you went on a tirade about how you have to call people stupid and are unable to let things go.
>>
>>51402434
...he spewed, ignoring what the post he's insulting actually says.
>>
>>51402448
>>
>>51402463
No, I did the exact opposite of that and described it accurately as another example of you spewing insults and ignoring what people are actually saying.

Of course, if you're already ignoring what I'm saying then you're likely to baselessly accuse me of doing the same, not caring that your actual behavior is what's being described.
>>
>>51402498
>>
>>51402503
>HFYfag mindlessly repeats himself even when his words are clearly untrue
Such is the unrivaled awesomeness of humanity that not even logic and facts can stop them! They always win even when they lose! FUCK YEAH!

This is a good example of why people don't give HFY the respect it wants. It's about lavishing glowing praise on mundane and stupid things like pollution, treating them like godlike traits worthy of worship.
>>
>>51402603
>...he spewed, ignoring what the post he's insulting actually says.
>>
>>51402324

We've already established HFY is taking our mundane and looking at it from an alien perspective, so don't try making a new definition.
>>
Oh jesus christ, it started again? You're not even debating the merits of HFY or the OP or anything, you're just calling each other stupid poopie heads and then arguing about who said it first!
>>
>>51402603
>>51402498
>>51402324
upon initial count, the anti-HFY fags have been responsible for over 90% of all insults in the thread.
Further, upon examination, all of their discussion of HFY is based entirely on strawmen, as seen here
>>51402603
In short, we can conclude anti-HFY fags have no actual argument.
>>
>>51402651
That's what happens when board police gain power, anon.
All good discussion is stomped out by shitposting about how you hate things other people like, and rebuttals to that.
>>
>>51402603

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

And there's the crux of his tantrum. One example would've been too much for his ego to handle.
>>
>>51402640
"What would aliens think of human traits that we think are mundane?" is what inspired it. HFY is a masturbatory slurry that it's been reduced to, in which the answer is always "they'd fear us like the invincible awesome badasses that we are" even when it's about something like polluting the environment or having blood cells. It's a waste of any potential the question could have actually had. It started as an interesting thought experiment, but HFY is anathema to thought and introspection because it risks having an answer other than "FUCK YEAH!"

There are several works of fiction which genuinely examine what aliens might think of humans. They generally involve a detailed answer with actual logic behind it, and they don't fit any definition of HUMANITY FUCK YEAH that deserves to be attached to the term.

>>51402655
>the anti-HFY fags have been responsible for over 90% of all insults in the thread.
Then you've read none of your own posts.

>all of their discussion of HFY is based entirely on strawmen
Then you've read none of the posts directed at you.
>>
>>51402795
>in which the answer is always "they'd fear us like the invincible awesome badasses that we are"
strawman
>HFY is a masturbatory slurry
insult
>>51402640
no insults or strawmen
>>51402655
no insults or strawmen

Gee, that's weird.
>>
>>51402760
>One example would've been too much for his ego to handle.
You've been given your example. If you can explain how an example is not an example, without going on yet another dozen-post whinestorm about how you've won everything forever and everyone who disagrees with you is a worthless subhuman that you're raping with your fifty-foot HFY supercock, then feel free.

I expect that you'll fail to do so, act like you succeeded, then double down even more on your noticeably desperate tirade of condescension.
>>
>>51402829
Failure to read rebuttals to his argument, projection based on his own low quality discussion.
>>
>>51402352
If you think people disagreeing with you is samefagging, I feel for you
>>
>>51402829

>HFY is about taking the mundane and seeing it from an alien perspective
>Hums breath O2 is taking oxygen and making it look poisonous to aliens

Yeah, great example. Really showed me.
>>
>>51402826
>strawman
No, it's the core concept. HFY tries to falsely broaden its definition to take credit for actually good fiction, but it's not HUMANITY FUCK YEAH if it's not shouting FUCK YEAH to humanity.

>no insults or strawmen
There are hundreds of HFY posts filled with them for you to peruse at your convenience.
>>
>>51402884
Continued strawmanning based on intentional misunderstanding of core concept.

Claims of insults that are not actually here excusing insults that are here.
>>
The joke is that people who argue for HFY being anything other than an enjoyable writing prompt, or indeed who pretend that it's somehow a gateway to interesting and nuanced examinations of the strangeness of humanity from another perspective totally free of conceit, well.

They can't read.

It's "Humanity, Fuck Yeah!", not, "Humanity, let's examine ourselves critically!".

The potential for masturbation is built in. There's nothing wrong in acknowledging that.
>>
>>51402897
>Claims of insults that are not actually here
>>51400944
>>51395182
>>51395155
>>51395104
>>51395055
>>51394965
>>51394879
>>51394665
>>51394570
>>51394454
>>51394334
>>
>>51402931
And yet, the ones thrown by the anti-HFY vastly outweigh them in quantity, and these only came around long, long after the anti-HFY group lowered the quality of discourse.
>>
>>51402947
It's because anti-HFY fags can't exist in a situation that has anything higher than /b/ tier conversation.
It's why they immediately attempt to lower any conversation to shitposting, as they have in this thread.
>>
>>51402947
>"My side of the argument has literally never insulted those mindless retarded babies when we were pwning them."
>receives a massive amount of disproof
>"O-oh yeah!? Well you did it too and our bad behavior is your fault anyway!"
>>
>>51402931

So many of my posts linked in there. I forgot how thoroughly ruined you were, it doesn't even seem fair now.
>>
>>51402971
>exaggeration of what the other side said into some kind of strawman
>s-s-stuttering nonsense
>complains about insults after being the first one to throw insults and the one to throw the most insults
>>
>>51402984
>I threw a shitfit for dozens of posts on end and I'm proud of it!
I see you've embraced the HFY spirit.
>>
>>51402971
>"O-oh yeah!? Well you did it too and our bad behavior is your fault anyway!"
oh, you mean like
>>51402884
said?
>>
>>51402990
>>exaggeration of what the other side said into some kind of strawman
>>51402655
>the anti-HFY fags have been responsible for over 90% of all insults in the thread.

>>51403007
No, I mean unlike you said.
>>
"You insulted more people so you're wrong!"
"No YOU insulted more people so YOU'RE wrong!"
"No if you insulted one more person than me then anything you said is wrong forever and ever my mom said so!"
"No if YOU insulted more people then nothing you say can be true!"
"Being rude makes things invalid, that's what my dad told me!"
"No YOU-"

>>furious accounting over who was the bigger meany beany bofeeney
>>because being mean is what makes you wrong, not your argument
>>this will never end because no-one involved here will realise the stupid feedback loop they're balls deep in
>>literally ms. manners the thread

Am I on 4chan, or am I on fucking reddit?
>>
>>51402926
>There's nothing wrong in acknowledging that.
Well, it would prevent certain people from acting like they TOTALLY SUPER DUPER PWNED TO THE MAX the worthless subhumans who don't like HFY. Whether that coun'ts as something wrong depends on how devoted you are to it.
>>
>>51402999

Sure, it was all me. I was the one that couldn't come up with one example and kept linking back to a nonsensical post as if it had a point. I was the one that threw a tantrum because I started off wrong and doubled down because I hate HFY.

Better? Or do you still need some comforting?
>>
>>51403044
Only one side of the argument is actually pushing the "those filthy vermin are WAY more insulting than us" thing as a trump card to win the argument forever. Others are just refuting their falsehoods.
>>
>>51403055
dubs confirm

I agree, largely. It's futile to argue with the spergs who think SUPER PWNAGE OMG XD is how one conveys an argument.

I don't know about you, but I can barely watch this any more. It's like watching a retarded dog growl at a tree.
>>
>>51403026
>they are responsible for 90% of the insults
>My side of the argument has literally never insulted
You used a literal dictionary definition strawman, anon.
>>
>>51403091
Well I'm watching both """"""""sides"""""""" do it so uh

I'm not sure what thread you're watching.

Frankly following who's being more of a bean counter is more effort than I care to exert.

Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not.
>>
Really? HFY guys are THIS austistic?

And people wonder why HFY is such a complete failure?
>>
>>51403102
Well, shit, that's pretty damning.
>>
>>51403113

It's only the anti-HFY guy that's the problem. You, I mean. Don't try to bolster your weak side by samefagging.
>>
>>51403102
Okay, you're right, I admit that your self-congratulatory attempt at shaming "the enemy" was slightly less extreme than I made it out to be.
>>
>>51403137
He's got to samefag, anon.
If he doesn't samefag, strawman, and shitpost, he has nothing to stand on other than "I don't like what you like".
>>
>>51403113
I mean another reason is that it's not really a genre yet. Probably never will be. When the starting point of the whole shebang is "this subject is great!" it kind of makes it hard to do anything thematically that, you know, portrays the subject otherwise.
>>
>>51403108
>Well I'm watching both """"""""sides"""""""" do it so uh
So you're not looking. One person is saying "my side are the nice good guys with the moral high ground" and another is saying "no you're not".
>>
>>51403137
>>51403155

Person with no dog in fight here, but if you think someone disagreeing with you has to be just one man hiding behind seven proxies and five screens, you need to realise that there's more than one fat guy on the internet, and that other people can disagree with you.
>>
>>51403169
Nah, both are doing it.
The anti-HFY guys literally said it was OK for them to shitpost because HFY guys did it.
And complained extensively about HFY guys being too insulting up here, starting the whole "who is more moral" discussion.
>>51402225
>>51402324
>>
>>51403189
As a guy with no stance in this, it's pretty obvious anti-HFY guy is samefagging here.
Especially near the start of the thread where he calls everyone stupids dozens of times.

Gotta learn to spot these things, anon.
>>
>>51403169
and from that follows the circular retardation of "you're mean so you're wrong" "no you're mean so YOU'RE wrong!" "no YOU-"

etc etc etc

it literally takes two to tango, and I'm watching two guys dancing furiously with each other

and then complaining about how the other guy is still dancing

they're all retarded, is what i'm saying
>>
>>51403215
there appear to be multiple people who don't think HFY is all that

the fact that everyone is responding to one sperg doesn't magically make them disappear

i mean it does in practice but they're still there
>>
>anti-HFY

You mean people from /tg/.
You Redditors really need to go back. HFY was cast out of here ages ago, and good riddance.
The only threads about it these days are made by awkward Redditors hoping to beat a long dead horse once more like they think it'll take another step, despite it being dead for over five years now.

Let it go. It was never good, and somehow got worse.
>>
>>51403238
Anon, everyone knows only newfags from other websites don't like HFY.
Truly, it is the oldfag taste.
>>
>>51403231

Oh yeah, people can dislike HFY, but it's highly unlikely anyone would back his stupid argument. It's just too obvious.
>>
>>51403231
Other guys popping in for one offs don't discount the main sperg from samefagging continuously.
Like, everyone, even real anti-HFY people, think that guy is retarded.
>>
>>51403254
No doubt he's bad at, well, probably everything, arguing included.
>>
>>51403238
>>51403250
Didn't we prove that /pol/ were the main anti-HFY fags last time this came up?

What with their continuous shitposting about reddit and frogposters, and how they drop into political discussion at the drop of a hat?
>>
>>51403269
Didn't say they did, and yeah he's terrible

But ironically those other posts contain stuff that no one's engaging because they're focus-firing on sperg

It's kind of sad how one jackass can render a whole thread near-sterile

Still amazes me
>>
>>51403250
Oldfags have hated HFY from day one. Even in the first thread people were calling it a terrible, short-sighted idea, and the only thing that's changed is that it's gotten ridiculous that an idea that never went beyond "We're upset humans are not special enough" has persisted this long.

Yes, you're upset. You're apparently going to be upset forever.

Just be upset on Reddit.
>>
>>51403278
fuck I missed a comma and now half the meaning of that is different.
>>
>>51402882
You know, after thinking about it I guess that really doesn't refute your definition. In fact, I can't think of any scenario, real or hypothetical, that COULD refute your definition! You could say "HFY is synonymous with X" and if anyone tried to give an example otherwise, you could either say that it's really X in a way they didn't think of, or that its lack of X means it's not "really" HFY.

Of course, this leads to some oddities, such as including things in HFY that don't involve anyone shouting "FUCK YEAH!" to humanity, including many things which would most likely be quite unwelcome in any HFY thread. It also makes it pretty pointless to discuss the merits of the HFY meme, since you could just say "it just means X" and that's all there is to say on the matter.
>>
>>51403289
Well, that's what happens when spergs learn to ban evade. They become a blight on the community, never to leave.

Everyone on both sides hate them, but nothing can be done to make them leave. Such is 4chan.
>>
>>51403250
You can't even really start to say that anyone except HFYfags like HFY until you produce a good story.

Until then, it's just going to be the same awkward circlejerk of bad writers trying to promote their terrible stories.
>>
>>51403304
Brother you aren't kidding.
>>
>>51403309
>>51403290
sup /pol/.
Still trying to push fake histories?
>>
>>51403318
People who disagree with you aren't automatically nazis

I mean you probably won't listen but I feel like shouting into the void so w/e
>>
>>51403316
I know it's tribalistic as fuck, but I still think /pol/ is behind this shit.
It got dozens of times worse during the election period, and never simmered down to pre election levels. And they never even bothered to pick up /tg/ style discussion, instead relying on /pol/ memes to carry them.
>>
>>51403299

Holy shit, it took him this long to finally admit that my definition was right all along. That must've hurt.
>>
>>51403332
It's pretty fair to call them /pol/ if they're pulling memes from /pol/ like le-reddit.
>>
>>51403344
You know generally? I suspect you're onto something. In this case? I don't know that they'd bother. Shitting on something that's been this out of fashion for this long requires more attention span than I credit them for, I'll be honest.
>>
>>51403351
I think you misunderstood what he's telling you.

He's saying your definition is meaningless.
>>
>>51403362
I'm genuinely not sure what the /pol/ memes here, man.
>>
>>51403380
I credit them with an extreme attention span, anon.
If I have learned anything in my time on 4chan, it's that a sperg can sperg out for LITERAL YEARS if they find something they don't like.
>>
>>51403394

You mean what you're telling me? And you've already admitted my definition fits, so why backtrack?
>>
>>51403398
Be glad, then.
>>
>>51403351
Calling it "right" implies a definition can be wrong. It certainly doesn't account for any of the problems with HFY as it actually exists, such as the bombastic self-praise for things which would be trivial even by alien standards, or for things which are just outright stupid like polluting our environment.

When people say they're sick of HFY's shit, that's the sort of thing they're annoyed with; they're not complaining about the fundamental concept of examining humans from an outside perspective, they're complaining about the shallow and illogical stories that HFY tends to produce.
>>
>>51403399
Actually you know what, on general principle you're right.

The dubs just help here.
>>
>>51403427
We had a guy this thread go on for like twelve hours about how he hates everything about HFY, from the fundamental concept to the stories.
>>
>>51403414
fucking ignorance is bliss and right now

i am blissful
>>
>>51403451
Damnit anon, I want to be wrong here so bad, but spergs keep proving me right.
>>
>>51403427

So we should tar all fantasy with the same brush because shit like Eragon exists? Or should we instead just enjoy the good stories without suffering from an autistic sense of encompassing?
>>
>>51403469
Anon, let me solve this argument for you before another dozen hours of discussion.

Anything good will be declared not HFY, and instead some other thing.

This exact thing happened with steampunk a while back, where we came to the realization that anti-steampunk people declare anything they like that happens to be steampunk some other genre.
>>
>>51403466
Shit anon I want to be wrong too. Alas it appears your wyrd is to get dubs and the truth.
>>
>>51403489
I hate my stupid super powers.
>>
>>51403481

Exactly. I know where this is going, I just want him to admit his bias.
>>
>>51403505
With great power, anon...

...Comes one dead ass uncle ben stand in.

Watch your family son, they're in danger.
>>
>>51403412
I think you're misunderstanding something.
Your definition doesn't "fit" because it doesn't do anything. It's not an appropriate definition.
I think what you're going for is "technically right" points, but that's not really worth anything when you're wrong overall.
>>
>>51403469
HFY as it's actually used, and actually developed by its fanatics, does not fit your definition. It's made mostly of shallow wankfests that people use to stroke their own egos over trivial things that are incredibly unlikely to impress any actual aliens that come across us, occasionally trying to justify it by filling the galaxy with easily impressed morons. I won't deny that there are some genuinely good stories that would fit the term, but that doesn't make it any more impressive that we breathe oxygen.
>>
>>51403530
Thankfully, my family is awful and a massive financial drain.

Supporting a gaggle of unemployed elderly chain smokers is expensive.
>>
>>51403587
Weed the herd, buddy.

Weed the herd.

With dub powers, no murdering. No direct murdering...
>>
>>51403597
I just have to attract tragic superhero backstories, I guess.
>>
>>51403546

Except it perfectly encapsulates HFY, which is why you couldn't find one example counter to it. All HFY stories are about aliens looking at some mundane aspect we have in a way we don't.

Now your whole problem with it has been a lack of thinking it through. Let's say there's a story where humans are actually worse off for something mundane compared to aliens. You know what that is? AFY. See?
>>
>>51403614
Be the tragic backstory I know you can be, anon!

wait shit no-
>>
>>51403580

Impressive or not, oxygen still fits the definition. If you think it doesn't fit, you know what to do: one example.
>>
>>51403637
Fuck, it missed!
>>
>>51403656
oh fuck the sperg above you got it

we're fucked, man

game over
>>
File: the_future.jpg (9KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
the_future.jpg
9KB, 300x225px
>>51403683
>>
>>51403703
Well fuck you too now I have to go play one of the greatest DS games ever
>>
>>51403719
enjoy!
Also fuck they ported that thing to everything.
>>
File: Humanlegacy.png (15KB, 1223x305px) Image search: [Google]
Humanlegacy.png
15KB, 1223x305px
>>51403616
>All HFY stories are about aliens looking at some mundane aspect we have in a way we don't.

Sorry, but your definition fails.
It's weird that you played this weird game of back and forth when even a casual glance at HFY can provide a number of stories that contradict your definition flatly, even though your definition by itself doesn't mean much.

Here's an HFY post from a human perspective. It's humans looking at themselves, and rather than looking at mundane aspects its glorifying everything from our technology to our religion. That seems to be the exact opposite of your definition, which wasn't even that good to start.

I'm sorry you wasted what seems like hours today.
>>
>>51403644
I agree that your definition is a definition. It is not, however, a good one.

>>51403616
>Except it perfectly encapsulates HFY
No, HFY is a rather different beast from "What would aliens think of us?" On its own, that does indeed describe a lot of HFY stories, but it also describes a lot of stories that involve examining humanity from an outside perspective but don't involve making them look awesome or badass, basically having HUMANITY with no FUCK YEAH. I know that you've already answered this with "those stories still count", but if your definition was all there was to it, people wouldn't be annoyed by it and it wouldn't be called HFY.
>>
>>51403734
true fucking say

still holding out for a CC port

anyway i'm out, see you later space cowboy

take it easy
>>
>>51403765
As has been proven by steampunk, yes, people would still be annoyed by it.

>>51403766
Have a good one man. I'm still trying to muscle through one of the pokemons.
>>
>>51403759

In comparison to aliens who don't have it. So yeah, it's our mundane compared to aliens. HFY.
>>
>>51403774
o7
>>
>>51403765

It's called HFY for simplistic reasons, since it meant readers were seeing something mundane in a new light that made them go "fuck yeah".
>>
>>51403778
I'm sorry, did you say this?

>All HFY stories are about aliens looking at some mundane aspect we have in a way we don't.

Now, if you're going to backtrack and say otherwise, fine, but even then
>it's our mundane compared to aliens.

It's not our "mundane." That post is literally glorifying some of the most important accomplishments and abilities of humanity.

Really, it's just a bad definition.
>>
>>51403774
>steampunk
That's an entirely different set of issues.

>>51403778
You said it was all about aliens looking at us, but that's about us looking at aliens. So it doesn't fit your definition, even though it's definitely in the spirit of most HFY stories.

Speaking of which, it reveals one of the problems with the meme. It's about humans praising themselves for things that aliens don't have, but why wouldn't any aliens have them? Do they seriously not adapt to different environments? Or train animals? Or farm crops?
>>
>>51403808
>mundane

You mean like the HFY that glorfiy man's rapid advancement of planes to spaceships in under a hundred years? That's something mundane people are seeing in a new light?

You're really stretching what "mundane" means.
>>
>>51403874

It's our mundane because it's what we do. It's taking our history as conquerors and saying aliens aren't like that. It's my definition.
>>
>>51403891
No, seriously, people will get angry about this forever regardless of the quality of any given thing. Steampunk discussions perfectly mirror this discussion.
>>
>>51403933
>our mundane because it's what we do.
>So yeah, it's our mundane compared to aliens. HFY.

So, your definition is essentially "humans are different from aliens?"
I'm sorry, but your definition is going from bad to terrible.

HFY, especially most of the older stuff, doesn't necessarily care about the alien perspective, or taking minor traits and defining humanity by them. A fair amount include just humans beating aliens because that's what humans are apparently meant to do. Manifest Destiny extending to the stars and all that.

It's your definition, but it doesn't work.
>>
>>51404023

This is my definition.

>HFY is just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane

Our nature as conquerors is the mundane, our superiority over other races is the different POV.
>>
>>51404076
I have a sense, from how it seems like you argued for hours on this topic, that you're not going to bend in this matter.

But, you're backtracking hard, man. And, worse still, you're really stretching every word you've got in your definition.

>mundane means anything human
>humans thinking themselves superior to something is a new POV
>a human addressing other humans involves an alien perspective at all

I'm sorry, but the essential essence of HFY is not what you think it is, because that example is clearly HFY, and it clearly, at least without mental gymnastics being performed, directly contradicts your proposed definition.

I understand you're invested in this argument, but it might be time to let go. Just an honest suggestion.
>>
>>51404076
So your definition of HUMANITY FUCK YEAH doesn't have any FUCK YEAH in it. That's not a good definition, nor is it the one that is most commonly used.

If you strictly define HFY as nothing more or less than alien perspectives on humanity, then of course the complaints won't make sense because most of the people who are sick of its crap are talking about crap that isn't precisely that, such as the fact that many of these stories need to have galaxies full of idiots for humanity to look good by comparison.
>>
>>51404076
Humans being proud of scientific progress is hardly a new perspective. In fact, it's something that is commonly used to emphasize the awesomeness of humanity and encourage hope for the future, without getting aliens involved at all. There's not much in the way of new and different ideas, unless you count the idea that no alien race has advanced past the hunter-gatherer stage... but that's not a very good idea.
>>
>>51404162

No backtracking. Simply repeating my initial statement, since you seem uncertain as to what I've been saying.

And since the example given perfectly matches my definition, as proven here >>51404076, it would seem you've still got some work to do.

>>51404173

Fuck yeah is the reaction to the trope, which is why it got its name.

And complaints don't need to refute the definition to be complaints. You can like some stories but not others.
>>
>>51404266
No, it's fairly clear that you're trying to defend HFY by stating that definition, even though most of its problems have nothing to do with that basic concept but are nonetheless closely interwoven with HFY as it actually exists.

>Fuck yeah is the reaction to the trope, which is why it got its name.
Yet it is entirely superfluous to the definition that you offered, hence the dissonance.
>>
>>51404266
Man, I think I'm done. You really seem committed to being wrong here.

>HFY is just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane

Being proud of being in charge of the planet is hardly a different point of view, especially since its coming from proud humans in an address to proud humans.
I'm sorry, but your definition, aside from not applying to all HFY, is still far and away from actually defining what HFY is.

>Fuck yeah is the reaction to the trope, which is why it got its name.

That's not true at all. Fuck Yeah is basically the essence of Humanity Fuck Yeah. It's not "50 shades of Humanity" or "Alteranate takes on Humanity." It's basically the sole unifying trait of HFY, in that the stories exalt humanity in one way or another. If HFY was "just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane" it would include negative evaluations, but those would be distinctly not HFY.

HFY is simply praising humans. That's basically it. Even says so right in the title.
>>
>>51404365

While you wish to dismiss all HFY because a few stories you don't like?

It's superfluous because you can have good and bad HFY stories, so it's unnecessary in the definition. No dissonance at all.
>>
>>51404428

*being right

If you don't understand how taking a conquerors mindset and applying it to an alien setting shows it in a different light, I'm not sure it's worth trying to explain it any further.

One example is all that's needed to ptove my definition is wrong, and it hasn't been done.

As has already been explained, negative stories would be AFY. My definition allows for that.

Praising humans isn't HFY unless it's doing so by giving an alternative view on a mundane aspect. Find one HFY that does so without it. You won't be able to.
>>
>>51404444
>While you wish to dismiss all HFY
I'm not dismissing all of it. There have been some stories which are genuinely good and interesting takes on how humans might fit into the galaxy and what aliens might admire them for. But when most people start chanting "HFY! HFY! HFY!" it usually falls into the several common pitfalls of the meme.

>because a few stories you don't like?
It's not just a few. It's because of several common and pervasive trends, like trying to praise humanity for things like farming as if no alien race had ever been smart enough to do that, or for things that really aren't worth admiring such as polluting the environment or fighting bloody wars, or for things that really aren't that common among humans or wouldn't be rare among aliens but the story acts like they were. It's rare for a story to have the humans' special trait be something that actually makes sense, in a setting with aliens who aren't ridiculously pathetic, and doesn't lay on the "wankfest' aspect too thickly.

All of those problems aren't simply things that happen, they're closely linked to the HFY meme. A good story can appeal to the HFY mentality without making those mistakes, but that same mentality can easily prompt its writers to fall into self-congratulatory pits at the expense of logic and good writing.

>It's superfluous because you can have good and bad HFY stories,
It's not about story quality, it's about your definition not including a fundamental part of HFY, namely the FUCK YEAH.

>>51404524
Your definition is a definition. It would be impossible to "prove it wrong" regardless of what it was. It is not, however, a good one, nor does it invalidate any of the problems with HFY.
>>
File: The_Courage_of_Man.png (257KB, 1258x678px) Image search: [Google]
The_Courage_of_Man.png
257KB, 1258x678px
>>51404524
These mental gymnastic are getting disappointing.

>If you don't understand how taking a conquerors mindset and applying it to an alien setting shows it in a different light

Your definition got even more pointless, because now it is basically "Humans do/have something in fiction."

Even so, here, have another one that contradicts your definition for the road. I'm sure you want to tell me how a human praising humans for being human somehow is "just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane", but a far better definition for what HFY is would simply be "Something that praises humans."

>As has already been explained, negative stories would be AFY. My definition allows for that
>not backtracking

Man, you're a piece of work.
>>
>>51404651

>But when most people start chanting "HFY! HFY! HFY!" it usually falls into the several common pitfalls of the meme.

So now you're stereotyping it.

>It's not just a few. It's because of several common and pervasive trends...

I'm not a fan of elves and dwarves in settings. I don't now dismiss fantasy because of it.

>It's not about story quality, it's about your definition not including a fundamental part of HFY, namely the FUCK YEAH.

As already explained, it's not a requirement. A bad HFY story might not make you go "fuck yeah" at all. But it's still an attempt to take something mundane and look at it in a new light. Whereas you wish to base what is and isn't HFY on whether you think it's good or not.

>Your definition is a definition. It would be impossible to "prove it wrong" regardless of what it was.

Definitions don't work like that. If I say the definition of a duck is a 20ft tall fire-breathing sludge monster, it's wrong and can be proven so. Mine has yet to be proven wrong.

>>51404687

>These mental gymnastic are getting disappointing.

My explanations to you are the equivalent mental getting-out-of-an-armchair. It's not a difficult line of reasoning to follow.

>Your definition got even more pointless, because now it is basically "Humans do/have something in fiction."

Nope, you're losing concentration again. Here's my definition one more: HFY is just a trope that allows for a different point of view on something humans generally take as mundane.

>Even so, here, have another one that contradicts...

Again, you offer another story where the nature of humans is shown in a different light, this time compared to demons.

>not backtracking

Not even slightly.

>Man, you're a piece of work.

And you want to end that post of yours on a foot-stamp, like a petulant child?
>>
>>51404833
>My explanations to you are the equivalent mental getting-out-of-an-armchair. It's not a difficult line of reasoning to follow.

You've basically butchered the human language to the point where nothing you've said has value or meaning, and that each word must be used with extremely broad definitions that don't even hold up under casual scrutiny.

Frankly, you suck at this. Your definition has been reduced to something that means nothing because that's the only way for you to pretend it applies to stories that clearly contradict it.

I'm sorry, but the only thing you've convinced anyone of today is that you may legitimately be autistic.
>>
>>51404833
>As already explained, it's not a requirement. A bad HFY story might not make you go "fuck yeah" at all. But it's still an attempt to take something mundane and look at it in a new light. Whereas you wish to base what is and isn't HFY on whether you think it's good or not.
I specifically said the exact opposite of that. It's not about story quality. It's about how much the story praises the human race. That's why it's FUCK YEAH HUMANITY and not FUCK YEAH I LOVE THIS STORY. All the problems with HFY are outgrowths of the core concept; good stories can keep them under control, bad stories try to feed the human readers' ego at the expense of plot coherence.
Thread posts: 454
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.