[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 67

File: dominic-cooper-warcraft.jpg (59KB, 595x627px) Image search: [Google]
dominic-cooper-warcraft.jpg
59KB, 595x627px
>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally involved if the threat become great enough.
ITT Fiction tropes that you secretly love
>Ruins of advanced but ancient civilizations
>Massive underground ecosystems
>The gods take physical form and are belligerently unhelpful or insane
>There is a rare material everyone is after due to its physical properties
>Magical relics having minds of their own
>Magic having a corrupting influence on the user
>>
>>51348402
>Ruins of advanced but ancient civilizations
I fucking hate this one.
>>
>>51348402
>Kings who are badass
>>
File: 1438897817544.jpg (163KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1438897817544.jpg
163KB, 1191x670px
>>51348422
>I fucking hate this one.
But anon, why?

>I love huge ancient abandoned forts everyone believes are haunted and probably are
>>
>>51348422

Blame it on Rome.

The trope is based on britons living among ruins left behind by the more technologically advanced roman empire, which brought with them shit from around the world.

It wasn't ancient in the way that current fantasy defines it (TEN THOUSAND YEARS AGO...), but 200 years later the locals considered these ruins of a bygone age.
>>
>Teaming up with an evil character/faction to defeat a greater threat
>Especially if it's an alliance with the Undead
>>
>The fate of the world rests on the actions of a ragtag bunch of misfits that really don't even want to be there
This one is really underappreciated
>>
File: 1459122417680.jpg (200KB, 1027x1215px) Image search: [Google]
1459122417680.jpg
200KB, 1027x1215px
>>51348402
>The grizzled old war veteran comes out of retirement to mentor or guide the young hero
>And of course they have to die performing some last great act of sacrifice
Curse of a hero, you never live a long peaceful life
>>
>>51348443
Romans are also responsible for the same thing in france and italy. In egypt it was pretty fucking hard to not notice pyramids too.
>>
>>51348402
>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally involved
>what is the ancient greek aristocracy
>>
File: 1437364615036.png (844KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1437364615036.png
844KB, 600x720px
>Abominations from beyond the veil of time and space
>Humans are actually important as they seem to be able to stop them
>>
>>51348402
> The villain is best friends with his most direct subordinates, and has real loyalty and respect from his followers instead of just fear

> the protagonist isn't motivated by revenge or ambitions or greed, but by a simple, insane, almost autistic obsession with becoming a hero.
> He manages to live up to the hype he has set for himself
>>
>>51348443
No
It's much older than that
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)
They found an abandoned city with massive walls and couldn't believe modern methods had built it
There's a long history of underestimating the ingenuity of the past
>>
>Humans are immune to fate, but also cannot see or otherwise sense their fate because it does not exist.
>Other magical species are trapped in their pre-ordained paths and cannot deviate
>>
>>51348486
The old war veteran coming back to fight again is one of my favorite tropes in fiction.
>>
>alien culture based around aggressive warrior ideals
>noble knightly/paladin orders founded on a lie
>good undead
>heavenly antagonists
>cursed magic swords, especially if sapient
>succubi as dubious allies
>>
>>51348493

Yes, but in fiction it mostly happens because LOTR did it.

And LOTR did it because Tolkien was writing what he saw of as a mythology for Britain to call its own (King Arthur is actually a welsh thing, not properly 'English' to him).

So the fact that Rome did the same thing to other places matters much less to the development of fantasy tropes than what happened to England specifically.
>>
>>51348402
lost island full of dinosaurs
spooky mist filled rural countryside
collect the X MacGuffin crystals
>>
>>51348506
Muslim kings still do .businessinsider.com/king-abduallh-of-jordan-is-a-total-badass-2015-2
>>
>>51348532
Stuff like this is why "aliens did it" people just piss me off.
People are smart (sometimes) and if given enough time and motivation people will figure out how to do things like build giant stone structures without the use of modern heavy equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs
>>
>>51348523
> The villain is best friends with his most direct subordinates, and has real loyalty and respect from his followers instead of just fear
seconded
>>
>>51348402
bikini barbarians
>>
>>51348536
>>51348486
Bonus points for...
>The BBEG is someone the grizzled old veteran knows. They fought with or against them in the struggles of the past that are now haunting the present.
>>
>>51348402
Most of them, honestly. I don't care that putting them into a setting reduces it's originality, I like all of those and most of the others that you'd be able to name.
>>
>>51348402
Nan Madol is a great example of the "Ruins of Advanced but Ancient Civilizations"

Apparently Lovecraft used it as the basis for R'lyeh
>>
>>51348402
>>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally involved if the threat become great enough.

Isn't that just the BBEG?
>>
>there is a spaceship under the dungeon
>the witches are terrifying but helpful
>a holy warrior must deal with the bureaucratic weight of his religion
>you lighting wand is a ray pistol
>>
>>51348544

Well at least one of those is good. Maybe two.
>>
File: Akihiko_Yoshida-FF3.jpg (1MB, 1122x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Akihiko_Yoshida-FF3.jpg
1MB, 1122x1600px
>humans special trait is indomitable will
>elfs and dwarves hate eachother
>lawful good character who never wavers
>lawful good character whose one vice is alcohol
>king is honorable as shit everyone loves him but has awful kids who no one wants to take the throne
>group of young chosen ones who all need to rescue the world while also dealing with normal adolescent angst

I'm a cheesy fucking dude.
>>
>>51348402

>Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather
>>
>>51348402
>>Massive underground ecosystems
>tfw you can't do this anymore in heroic fantasy without people comparing it to the Underdark
Fuck!
>>
>>51348443
>britons

Hah. Italians were surrounded by the ruins of the Roman empire like they were living in bloody Mad Max

Just go to Rome itself, there are countless building built around and into Roman ruins
>>
>>51348443
The thing is that these ruins weren't entire abandoned cities. They were generally just old buildings that had fallen into disrepair mostly due to lack of infrastructure. The Colosseum wasn't some majestic structure to most people, it was an old building that they sometimes looted for stone.
>>
>magic exists in all forms of life, and can be used to directly imbue life into inanimate objects or create entirely new beings
>life created this way has no guarantee to be intelligent or even sentient, leading to bizarre failures of artificial creation terrorizing people
>successful creations feel responsible and take up careers using magic and their unique forms to destroy them
>>
File: ILoveYouSheriffTruman.jpg (161KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ILoveYouSheriffTruman.jpg
161KB, 1333x1000px
>relatively weak/cowardly character who is nonetheless stalwart in trying to protect people he cares about
>stoic professional mercenary who is actually very passionate about music or something
>character who acts like a prick but actually follows admirable principles
>gap moe in all its forms
>>
>>51348402
>hard-boiled detective who drinks, smokes, and falls for a dangerous dame
>Loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules but damn it, he gets results
>Lone wanderer who rides into town, solves all the problems, rides off into the sunset when it's done.

I feel like these are mostly american tropes, but hell they're pretty great when done right.
>>
File: ea9.jpg (38KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
ea9.jpg
38KB, 582x600px
>>51351363
>mfw american tropes are the best tropes
>>
>>51350428
>I can't marry you because [insert angst and fatalism here]
>>
File: adventure.jpg (455KB, 1600x2096px) Image search: [Google]
adventure.jpg
455KB, 1600x2096px
>Elves and fey are defeated by bread and iron
>ancient giants are revealed to be normal humans
>legendary figure turns out to be still alive and is a tired broken man
>dishonored veteran given one last shot at redemption by training next generation of heroes
>BBEG motivation was to bring dead child back to life but dark magic spiraled out of control
>Demons/Devils/Eldritch monstrosities defeated by heroes showing self control not by direct conflict
>magic only being usable by the foolishly insane
>barbarian heroes, grizzled human fighters, and plucky young squires saving the day through a combination of strength, grit and cunning
>air/spaceships that look like sailing ships
>when the hero is defeated but through determination and divine intervention he rises again to defeat the foe in a blaze of glory before dying forever.
>Pyrrhic battle that leaves the heroes broken, bloody and greaveing friends but victorious none the less
>adventurers who are well and truly prepared and equipped for dungeon delving
>>
>>long time enemies must work together to defeat a newer and greater threat
>>evil cannot comprehend good
>>space ship has sapient AI
>>giant robot mecha
>>
File: 1484820944002.gif (3MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484820944002.gif
3MB, 444x250px
>Secrets of a dead empire
>Lost technology and magitech
>Good undead who need to struggle with their destructive instincts
>Noble self-sacrifice that while necessary brings great personal suffering
>Recurring villain that eventually gets recruited and redeemed
>The laid-back sidekick is actually a huge badass when he gets serious
>>
>>51351490
>ancient giants are revealed to be normal humans

So the world has been inherited by halfings? Could be kind of neat.
>>
>>51351615
kinda its usually paired with
>Elves and fey are defeated by bread and iron
with small fey telling legends of iron blooded giants that belched fire and built mountains
>>
File: 1316663913185.jpg (436KB, 1864x3263px) Image search: [Google]
1316663913185.jpg
436KB, 1864x3263px
>character gets horrifically injured and beaten down, but continues getting back up
>as an extension of the above, Revenants exist
>heroes get a little help from beyond the grave/helpful ally turns out to have been dead the whole time
>everyone the heroes helped during the story shows up to assist during the climax
>antagonist is motivated by nostalgia and just wants to bring the comfy back
>>
>>51348402
>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally involved if the threat become great enough.

Plenty of real Kings spent all of their time on the battlefield and, at least in medieval times, were actually not glued to a glorified chair but instead traveling the realm because God knows it wasn't going to keep itself together on its own. So that's a good trope. The unrealistic part is having him not be an asshole.
>>
>>51351664
>belched fire
That was Ted with his beer-trick wasn't it?
>>
>>51351664
>Bread
As in a logistics train or actual bread?
>>
>>51351922
like the old legends actual bread (but probably as a metaphor for logistics)
>>
>>51348443
Shit man, we consider all the towns you pass through between Detroit and Chicago as ruins from a bygone age.
>>
>>51351956
>like the old legends actual bread
>"Fear the might of our freshly baked goods!"
>>
>>51348422
>I fucking hate this one.
Why?
>>
>>51352103
more like its deadly poison to them, but I'd play that for laughs, "Affix Baguettes "
>>
File: 1469465577302.jpg (91KB, 637x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469465577302.jpg
91KB, 637x960px
>Incompetent and useless character sacrifices himself just to buy the heroes time

Yours shall be a place of honor Governor Shakeel.
>>
>"There. I set the bone and drained the poison from the arrow. Stay off your feet for a few weeks and chew these herbs with your supper if you feel a fever coming on. No don't make that face its not supposed to taste good," grunted the orc doctor Snaargalgsh of Clan Morghar. "What? You didn't think we were all reavers and beastriders, did you? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class at Bloodkill Valley Medical."
>>
>hero gets the princess
>hero's buddy gets the qt girl next door
>>
>>51352151
Carbs are the weakness of elves and fey?
>>
>>51352211
weat
>>
>>51348402
Honestly, if a king was someone who was on the front lines leading his people and fighting alongside them, I wouldn't mind following him. It's like how George Washington at least shot people or threw rocks at them at least. I feel like the last few presidents we've had are just professional paper-pushers that don't get involved in real issues more or less and we all ask each other why we have problems.

This is a problem I have sometimes in my groups when the players reach a new land and find out there's a kingdom and immediately start asking if there are ways to dethrone the king and establish a "good system". It's not fun storytelling, for me.
>>
>>51352242
Rye would that be, anon?
>>
File: Bread.jpg (4MB, 2650x1767px) Image search: [Google]
Bread.jpg
4MB, 2650x1767px
>>51351664
>>51351922
>>51351956
>>51352103
>>51352151
>>51352211
Wikipedia suggests fey hate bread because of it's association with the taming of nature, the home and hearth and civilization.
>>
>>51352275
Do they hate dogs and cats too then or any farm animals for that matter?
>>
>>51351709
>character gets horrifically injured and beaten down, but continues getting back up
My nigga.

Similarly:
>character with seemingly naive ideals maintains them after experiencing something terrible
>>
>>51348402
>Magic having a corrupting influence on the user

Absolute power corrupt absolute kind or Demon lurking in mana realm ala Warhammer or Dragon Age kind?
>>
>>51352290
Corgi are a gift from the fae, supposedly, so no.
>>
>>51352147

He's african.

No, not WE WUZrican, but from the sub-Sahara.
>>
File: 1482267704472.jpg (196KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482267704472.jpg
196KB, 1280x720px
>>51348402
>Rival becomes a full blown villain for the greater good
>realizes he fucked up
>THERE IS NO TURNING BACK FOR ME NOW
>protagonists redeem him anyway

Gets me rock hard every time.
>>
File: things that will never happen.jpg (37KB, 655x785px) Image search: [Google]
things that will never happen.jpg
37KB, 655x785px
>>51348402
>women cabable of unconditional, romantic love

Completely fictious but it salves the soul
>>
>>51348402
>The protaganists are competent and win their battles through planning, training, and teamwork
>The antagonists are seen as a real threat and win major victories because they are also competant
>>
>>51348448
>>51348486
>>51348570
>>51348607
>>51350268
>>51352294
This is the best.
>>
>The villain isn't such a bad guy, you just happen to be on opposite sides.
>Foes confront each other with each side knowing damn well only one of them is going to survive.

Bonus points if the two are used together.
>>
>>51348486
This, Especially combined with
and
>The Seer that sees that today is their Last.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>51352545
>>
>>51348536
Especially with
>Paladin, when after his noble sacrifice, returns at the end as an angel/Spirit/Herald of their god, to aid the party in the final Battle.
and
>Past ally covers the party's advance to the BBEG's throne room.
>>
>>51352673
>The Seer that sees that today is their Last.
>The Seer that knew today would be their Last decades ago.
>>
File: El-Cid.jpg (75KB, 780x439px) Image search: [Google]
El-Cid.jpg
75KB, 780x439px
>a champion so noble he inspires a good-for-nothing wimpy king to be a better man and ruler
>a hero who unites the people against a greater evil regardless of creed or race
>he is so iconic even the sight of his stiff corpse is enough to usher men towards suicidal odds
>>
>>51352705
YES!
and
>The Seer that wishes to die already so their partner will stop nagging them to death.
>>
>>51352705
I also like ones where

> The Seer predicts some cataclysmic event will befall the royal family/kingdom/country, yet no one believes them
> Said cataclysmic event happens exactly like the Seer saw

Other favorites of mine include:

> Technology always seems to hover right at the early Renaissance level, even with magic around
> In this same tech level, some crazy idiots randomly spread throughout the world experimenting with black powder for handheld weapons and not just use in cannons or fireworks
> A small group of long-lived individuals (usually good-aligned) watch over the world to protect it from otherworldly disasters without the masses being aware of it
>>
>>51352705
Didn't Dr.Strange do something like that with the Ancient One?
>>
>>51352517

Good taste.
>>
>Holy warrior-Bard sings the rallying song "It's good day to die"...
>>
>>51348564
Abdullah is the way he is because he was the spare and not the heir, and so he got to play soldier until his brother died without issue. If William and his family eat it, and Harry gets on the throne, you'll see the same thing in the UK.
>>
>>51352822
>Half-Orcs are Niggers with Tusks.
>>
>The King is an old-man.
>The Queen is a teen-aged whore who will put out for the party.
>>
File: 00033196.jpg (77KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
00033196.jpg
77KB, 600x400px
>old ruler who spent his youth in decadence and debauchery looking back his earlier life wondering whether or not it he should have lived a more prudent life or even if any of it mattered since he has no male heirs anyway
>>
>Elves are Sluts, Half-Elves are Sluttier
>Both male and female.
>>
>>51351606
>Recurring villain that eventually gets recruited and redeemed
An anon after my heart

also a fan of
>Proud member of a warrior culture (Klingons, Vikings, Dwarf McBigHammer)
Bonus points if that culture is in decline, but our honored tradition lives on forever (Saiyans, Samurai, Ancient Elf warrior order)
>>
File: maleficent.jpg (88KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
maleficent.jpg
88KB, 1296x730px
>the evil villain who kidnaps/abducts/adopts a child for his/her own nefarious ends but ends up becoming too attached to the child
>inb4 ''Maleficent isn't a villain''
>>
Retired adventurers or former big-shots who have settled comfortably and just want to be left alone, trying to hide their past. One way another they just keep getting roped back into the fray.

The most noble actions coming from the lowliest of humble individuals.

Granting honors and commendation for said characters.
>>
>>51352246
Maybe stop playing with Americans. Them and their bloody democracies, why I oughta
>>
>>51348402
>mentor/veteran/older hero arrives to save the main characters
>villains are fucking terrified of him
>beats the shit out of them

alternatively:

>arrogant asshole on the hero's side
>steps out of line
>veteran/mentor effortlessly kicks his ass
>>
>Sapient/Conscious weapons
I played a campaign with a real good DM while I was still new to ttrpgs, he acted my sword and helped me a lot, then later on when I got more confident we had this real nice inside plot of my char battling against his own mind to regain his willpower. That was super nice, and the concept itself is really good imo
>Flying whales (or really, any fishes)
Because Gojira, and also the fact that PCs can't really interact with it (except if they are really inventive which is always good) but know something "bigger than life" is happening
>War veteran acting father-like to the PCs
Because it's still a better DMPC than an arrogant overpowered asshole-y snowflake, and it's really easy to befriend him, I never had any problem to have the PCs take his advice/quests. bonus points if he goes on war with the PCs if they diverge too much from his alignment
>Vilains that think they're doing something for greater good and realize fully the consequences of their actions
See "Handsome Jack" for further informations
>>
>>51352781
Yeah. She had already predicted her death, but when it came time for her to die, she slowed down time to stay alive just a little longer. Her last words gave me fucking chills:

>Death is what gives life meaning. To know your days are numbered and your time is short. You'd think after all this time I'd be ready. But look at me. Stretching one moment out into a thousand... just so that I can watch the snow.
>>
>>51348402
Why secretly OP? These are all great!
>>
>>51348558
>Tolkien was writing what he saw of as a mythology for Britain to call its own (King Arthur is actually a welsh thing, not properly 'English' to him)
Which is somewhat funny seeing as LotR is in large part a copy of Der Ring des Nibelungen, which is German into the extreme.
>>
>a recurring villain lusts after one of the heroes. Maybe they are even married, they fight like it when in public.
>Humans are the ancient dying race.
>Psionics
>Floating continents

>>51353022
Helps that a president is replaceable, unlike a monarch.
>>
The dissenter within the enemy faction's ranks, struggling to reconcile duty with personal convictions. Can often be swayed at a crucial moment, or are least reasoned to a more neutral stance.
>>
>>51352705
>The seer that commits crimes/horrors personally to prevent the worse ones they see comming
>>
>>51351709
>everyone the heroes helped during the story shows up to assist during the climax

My nigga, I dig this one.
>>
>>51352545
>tfw no BOYFRIEND FREE GIRL despite your sign
>>
>>51354505
Fuck YES! THIS FTW!
>>
>>51348402
Yes. I like that.

>the right hand of the villain is redeemed and helps the hero fight against his former superior, giving his life to save the hero
>the villain is defeated and the heroes ride off into the sunset
>>
>>51349914
>the witches are terrifying but helpful

This. I fucking love putting witches in my games, and always they have a weird price for their service too.
>>
>>51354165
>a recurring villain lusts after one of the heroes.
My next game will feature that.
>>
>>51354938
They don't already?
>>/b
>>
>>51354847
I don't generally like a lot of Satoshi Urishihara's work, but there was one instance that I absolutely loved.

The main badguy sends his good right arm, a powerful sorcerer-warrior, to deal with the enemy. He manages to capture the good girl's love interest,and being her to the main bad guy. He then faces off against the heroine and is driven back to his master.

Who transforms him back into his right arm and reattaches it.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>51348402
>The legendary hero believes he has failed, and has gone into hiding or solitude. The scrappy band of misfits must find him and convince him to return.
Really any version of the hero's return.
>>
>>51348422
What did you fucking say about dwemer ruins?
>>
>dragons are ancient, wise, and exceedingly dangerous no matter how helpful they are being
>the wizard knows that his job is to help heroes, not to try and be one
>ancient trinkets, baubles, and swords that are useless until the hero buys a clue and realizes he's a fuckin' hero and then uses the trinket/bauble/weapon properly for the first time
>ancient races learning new tricks because they traveled with a hero
>Captain Harlock
>>
>>51348607
Awww yeah
>>
>>51348402
>psionics and magic coexisting in the setting and being on opposite sides of the situations
>>
>Dream sequences
Maybe it's just because I grew up on Baldur's Gate 1+2, but I love the idea of something / someone trying to communicate to the player, and only being able to touch in on some way in their dreams
>>
>>51348402
>that one guy who is otherwise useless but is SO LUCKY reality itself bends over backwards to ensure he survives whatever life throws at him
>manages to aid the heroes completely accidentally

Also!

>powers with a mind of their own - they care how you use them
>physics-bending and physics-breaking MAD SCIENCE which is a superpower unto itself
>Frankenstein's Monster - lookalikes
>>
>>51348402
>the bad guy wins
>the bad ending is canon
>the hero is incompetent, yet manages to save the day
>the hero has a retarded amount of luck and doesn't realize it/thinks everyone is making fun of him
>>
>Protagonist gets a super mode
>Initially it's overpowering
>Overtime, the Protagonist has to use their super mode more and more often, as it's all they can do to just simply keep up with stronger and stronger enemies
Bonus points if the Super Mode deteriorates the body or damages the mind each time it's used.
>>
Cliches became cliches because they are cool in the first place. Being overused what made them "bad", but they are still good underneath that.
This thread is nothing surprising. Keep it up.
>>
>Protagonist also has super-powerful allies who occasionally throw in on their side to match the super-powerful villains
>>
File: a kind of hero.jpg (654KB, 1280x1708px) Image search: [Google]
a kind of hero.jpg
654KB, 1280x1708px
A heroic last stand.
>Save yourself, I'll hold them back!
>>
>>51355164
Space pirate Captain Harlock is a gift to the people
>>
>>51350268
>group of young chosen ones who all need to rescue the world while also dealing with normal adolescent angst
It's my meth.
>>
>the villain was right all along but is defeated and the hero only realizes the truth after the deed is done and feels like shit because everyone else doesn't know and keeps congratulating him
>>
>>51356242
If there is one trope I would erase with atomic fire, it's this one.
>>
>>51356273
Anywhere this is the case other than Fable III?
>>
>>51356293
MGS3
>>
>>51356313
Meant for >>51356311
>>
>the prophesy is a lie and there is no chosen one, but the party still finds a way to save the day
>big bad redemption arc
>big bad joins up as a regular with the cast
>MC's rival saves the day during a losing battle
>weapons of legend
>the grizzled cowboy with a heart of gold
>the villain just wants equality for all, but goes about it all the wrong ways
>the Heroes of Legend vanish, leaving behind a new generation to take up the mantle
>last stands, especially when it's a losing effort
>>
>>51348402

>The gods take physical form and are belligerently unhelpful or insane

Man i love this. Other tropes i love:

>The villain has some blood relation to the protagonist.
>Any kind of non-mongol culture
>Rumors of a treasure actually making everyone go crazy and very greedy. Old west style
>The highest authority of a religion starts to think himself as God.
>>
File: guyver-3-manga.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
guyver-3-manga.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
>>51348512
That's not a trope.

The real trope is
>humanity is completely irrelevant to the beings beyond space and time

My favourite trope:
>a villain becomes an anti-hero
>whenever the moral rigidity of the hero becomes a weakness that other villains can exploit, the anti-hero steps in guns blazing
>>
File: 1457662614659.gif (856KB, 500x247px) Image search: [Google]
1457662614659.gif
856KB, 500x247px
>>51348523
>The villain is best friends with his most direct subordinates
>>
>The strange, eldritch being is actually friendly, just doesnt understand how humans work.
>>
>>51356057
This but minus points if the Super Mode has a retarded drawback that is either conveniently ignored, or the audience will never see the consequences. (I'm looking at you Luffy/Second Gear)
>>
>>51348523
>The villain is best friends with his most direct subordinates
Can I get examples? I can honestly say that I can't for the life of me, remember a time this has happened. (Not saying it never happens, just that my memory is shit)
>>
File: nyoron.jpg (21KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
nyoron.jpg
21KB, 260x260px
>>51356481
>I just peeled him skull open and flooded it with wisdom of cosmos.
>Y'g-sotoh, that kills people.
>tfw
>>
File: 9f666416f8a6c24f8d44ad909e962ddd.jpg (298KB, 1300x732px) Image search: [Google]
9f666416f8a6c24f8d44ad909e962ddd.jpg
298KB, 1300x732px
>>51348402
>Hero is torn into twenty different pieces and stands up to fight anyway.
>simple-minded giant protectors
>the hero returns from the dead just in time to turn the tide of the final battle

>>51348523
>> The villain is best friends with his most direct subordinates, and has real loyalty and respect from his followers instead of just fear
Oooh. That's a good one.
>>
>>51356611
All those lifespan "drawbacks" will end up with him dying in his sleep right before reaching the one piece because he fucked up and used it too much[/spoiler or will not let him enjoy the treasure at all bcause he'll die young, though without regrets
>>
>>51356611
>Super Mode has a retarded drawback that is either conveniently ignored, or the audience will never see the consequences
How to spot a shit shonen series.
>>
>>51348402
Defiantly if its a female ruler with big tits
>>
>>51356611
>>51356722
That reminds me of Goku's Super Saiyan Blue + Kaiokenx10... just seeing his muscles and bones contort... that shit just looked painful.
>>
>Characters that are horrifically scared and have to hide their mutilated face behind a mask or bandages
>Even better if they have a deep booming voice
>Battle-Nuns
>Sentient Swords with their own agenda's that take control of the owner momentarily.
>Villians doing what they do for the 'Greater Good', condeming themselves to save others. See Ozymandias
>>
>>51356481

>>The eldritch thing is just chillin'
>>Every screw-up is the result of some idiot human poking the sleeping giant
>>The heroes do something to fix the problem, which makes the giant wake up
>>He wanders off to find a better place to sleep, taking the problems with him as he goes.

Maybe this is a subversion instead of a common trope, but it would be nice to see for once.

>>The militaristic empire spreads across the world
>>The world is a mess and can only benefit from unification and a strong military
>>
>>51348486
I fucking hate this one.
>>
>>51348402
>The King/queen/emperor is actually a badass that gets personally involved
>Fiction trope
>>
>>51356859
I quite like the first part, the second one not so much.

What makes you hate it anon?
>>
>>51348565
You may enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

I certainly did.
>>
File: oh geeze.jpg (43KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
oh geeze.jpg
43KB, 600x390px
>>51356711
>He finds out the real One Piece is Friendship
Oda may have said that's not the case, but he's been known to lie about shit like that
>>
>>51356627
Prominent with bosses of crime syndicates and gangs. Gangs probably more so due to inherently being very tightly knit groups, even if they have a hierarchy.
>>
File: ble41-hollow-ichigo.jpg (120KB, 600x485px) Image search: [Google]
ble41-hollow-ichigo.jpg
120KB, 600x485px
>>51348402

>>The villain taunts the hero, encouraging him to throw away his morals and self-restrictions

>>After a long struggle, the hero does so

>>the villain doesn't live long enough to regret his mistake
>>
File: SaintWalkerApproves.png (39KB, 163x161px) Image search: [Google]
SaintWalkerApproves.png
39KB, 163x161px
>the hero is on his last leg facing an insurmountable challenge alone
>his ally shows up out of nowhere to lend aid, full well knowing they're both probably gonna die there
>then another ally shows, and then another, until the whole team is gathered and they all pull through alive
So fucking cheesy but I'm a sucker for the power of friendship
>>
>>51352545
>Husband
>not an ATM
but that is the literal function of a husband. You're destroying the institution of marriage!
>>
>>51357024
>>the villain doesn't live long enough to regret his mistake
He did, though.
Just no longer than that.
>>
>>51350902
Does any protagonist in Elder Scrolls see dwemer ruins as anything more than a giant pile of lootables?
>>
>>51348441
Not that guy, but personally I just find the whole "ancient and therefore better" trope to be overplayed

>the big bad has a legitimate grievance
>the ultimate heroic sacrifice
>power/magic/technology is neither innately good or evil
>>
>The villain is evil for the sake of evil

People really seem to hate this one for some reason because they think it makes for terrible villains, but I have seen it make for some of the best.
>>
File: crono-crusade-11-16.jpg (116KB, 730x1099px) Image search: [Google]
crono-crusade-11-16.jpg
116KB, 730x1099px
>>51356611
>tfw the Super Mode's retarded drawback isn't ignored, and the audience sees the consequences
>>
>>51357150
Seeing as they are blank slates for the player to rp with (or not) it depends entirely on you.
>>
>>51352298
I like both. I do like to do the first, because I did the latter in a homebrew and all my players went "SO LIKE WARHAMMER?" "Well, kinda yeah, but the wizard isn't gonna explode"
>>
>>51357163
You can always invert it.

>players finally reach the lowest level of the dungeon
>they destroy the lich
>the entire treasure is full of worthless ancient coins, and magical weapons made of half-corroded bronze so old it turned green

Should I ever use a campaign like that, I will allow for the easy transference of enchantments from weapon to weapon though.

Bit mean to award players with jackshit.
>>
File: mahoromatic_36431.jpg (21KB, 246x250px) Image search: [Google]
mahoromatic_36431.jpg
21KB, 246x250px
>>51357186

Shame the ending fucking ruined it.
>>
>>51352298
>>51357197
But Warhammer and DragonAge are completely different.

In Warhammer, danger scales with power. No matter how powerful you are, you can always become possessed unless you are lucky/remain vigilant. The dangers of possession are equal to all. In DragonAge danger diminishes with power. Once you reach a certain level, you can only become possessed through your own greed and hubris. Possession only happens to the weak.
>>
>>51353976

No, LotR and DRdN are both inspired by the same sources, that being the old north-western European sagas, epics, and poems.
>>
>>51357220
>the ending
I'd say the lack of any sort of middle arc ruined it more than anything. It literally goes straight from introducing the protagonists to starting the final arc.

The only thing I truly hated about the ending was the fucking aliens thing.
>>
>>51357203

>Reward the players

Their reward is not being utterly destroyed by an all powerful world conquering lich who had no need for such trinkets and material wealth.

Maybe a sacrifical maiden or something down there is worth some cash when returned to her family or something. Maybe she will marry one of the PCs and run a store or something for them in between adventures as a source of funds generation.

We did the latter in a game we played once where however much total money we invested into the store she got back for total proft at the end of our adventure. So we invested 200 gold and when we made it back, we had 200 gold given to us as our share, we reinvested it and 400 for the next run. Spent that on goods and shit and got 400 when we got back again. Tossed 1,000 gold in there. Got 1,400 back when we returned.

Using this system we wound up netting about 15,000 gold on top of whatever we found normally on each adventure because that chick was earning. Her simple store turned into a massive franchise, the party was incredibly wealthy, we got massive discounts from people looking to make a good impression for future business deals with the PC's wife, and we also had an easily exploitable excuse for adventures for the DM.

>Your newest store is having a problem a few towns over because X is happening. Matilida (the PC's wife) asks you to investigate.

>You return from the quest to do X but can't find Matilda anywhere. Follow the clues (bitch got kidnapped travelling on the road between stores)

>Tax time, the local baron for town X is super corrupt and is trying to swindle one of your stores. A further investigation reveals that is far from the only thing amiss about the baron.

It was a constant excuse for travel, it was good world building, and it really was probably one of the longest series of random adventures my group had that felt natural and I recommend others do it if the DM is looking for a super easy place to set-up adventures.
>>
>>51348448
Ahhhh yes anon. With you all the way.
Rattle Rattle
>>
>>51353353
Hello Doctor Strange
>>
File: EGCvnVv8_.png (63KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
EGCvnVv8_.png
63KB, 520x390px
>The weakest team member volunteers for the suicide mission, knowing their loss would hurt the team the least
>they just want to be the one helping instead of needing help
>>
>>51357203
That makes a degree of sense. Anything a lich or other Ancient Awoken Evil might own is bound to be aged to the point of decay. Other trope's I enjoy include

>the hero, embittered or emotionally drained/wounded goes into hiding once the battle is won

I'm a sucker for melodrama and tragic sue. My personal headcannon for several games is that my character has up and abandoned their life after X event.

My saints row boss went back to stilwater after gat's "death" to be a low-tier thug again

My femshep, the suicidal vanguard already broken by her death and subsequent rebuilding took Liara and the normandy, and vanished into deep space. Unable to handle the stress of being The Last Hope after being ignored, betrayed by cerberus, imprisoned and finding out that her ship, her home had been gutted and raped by the alliance. She stood before her trial, watching the reapers descend and laughed. The heaving, sobbing laugh of someone for whom only petty, vindictive vindication is left.

My hawke, stayed in kirkwall. She and Aveline had a whole hulk-widow thing going on after she went all reaver in the wake of her mother's unpleasant death
>>
>>51356326
I pray for a future in which people like you learn that you can just delete your post and repost the corrected post.
>>
>people from incredibly diverse backgrounds are inevitably roped into a grand adventure with dire consequences, and they have to rely on each other's special talents to survive

Best example I got of this is Sense8. As for a fantasy setting equivalent I got none.
>>
>>51348402
>The empire isn't actually evil, and is generally fair and benevolent towards its subjects, but is also fairly strict as a means to preserve its power
>post-humans as near god-like cosmic wanderers
>>
>a powerful and likable character who has traveled with the MC, fought alongside him, defended his actions to others, and is genuinely nice and cool steps up against an unbeatable monster
>prepares to unleash all his skill and/or power
>MC asks if he can win the fight
>"No, but I don't need to. I'm the distraction. Go do your job, make me proud."
>steps out to fight and die anyways

Ben. ;_;
>>
>>51357613
>As for a fantasy setting equivalent I got none.
Are you serious?
>>
>>51348534
Where does this come up? And how even does it work, if humans are immune to fate the first thing they'll do is fuck up anything else's.
>>
>>51357613
What about most adventuring parties?
>>
File: fellowship8.jpg (79KB, 752x340px) Image search: [Google]
fellowship8.jpg
79KB, 752x340px
>>51357613
...dude
>>
File: 1484657165076.jpg (19KB, 367x328px) Image search: [Google]
1484657165076.jpg
19KB, 367x328px
>>51357652
>The empire isn't actually evil, and is generally fair and benevolent towards its subjects, but is also fairly strict as a means to preserve its power
I use the Mongol Empire as the basis for a few empires I made. Their General Modus Operandi is that for villages the empire is about to absorb have the choice to surrender or fight.

If they Surrender; they only need to do two things: Pay a quarterly Tribute and accept most officials from the Empire as their superior in rank(IE a Corporeal for the main Army has authority over the Mayor). What they get in return is doctors, masonarys, engineers, guards, teachers, and patrols on the main trade routes to any other town within the Empire to ensure safe trading. The main idea is that the Empire wants to encourage commerce so they can tax low, but since everyone is making so much dosh, they get a high return on investment. Dead Merchants and razed towns actively work against this.

That being said, if the Village refuses, they go ahead and raze it since the cost of actively suppressing dissidents is not cost effective in lives or money spent. They then incorporate any survivors as slaves, send them to the far reaches of the Empire to be auctioned off, and send officials to see if rebuilding the town is worth the initial investment. If not, onto the next town.

Things in general, become more civil(sans slavery) the deeper you get into the empire, but all the main action is on it's fringes.
>>
>>51357739
Maybe you can assume some level of fate-stickiness. Like a cosmic anti-butterfly effect. Someone bound to their fate needs to be pushed REALLY hard to break free of it.

Maybe if an elf is destined to one day own a bakery and create the ultimate pastry, it'll take deliberate effort from a human's part to prevent that from happening. It won't just be enough to pillage his hometown and drive him penniless, it won't even be enough for a human to cut off his left arm and sell him to slavery.

One day he'll break free and build his own bakery, making that pastry with a single hand if needed. At least unless humans do something extreme enough (like kill him).
>>
>>51357613
>As for a fantasy setting equivalent I got none.

... You have to be trolling, right? Hah hah hah??
>>
>>51357794
But where does this come up? That's the question desu. This is about cliches we like. Where is this a cliche?
>>
>The Villain's second in command is a Femme Fatale who doesn't agree with his evil plan.
>The Femme Fatale follows the Villain because she's in love with him, and because he saved her from some fucked-up situation in her backstory.
>The hero/party tries to recruit her / flip her and she instead chooses to stay loyal to the villain and dies with him at the party's hands.

Misplaced love gives me heartache in the best possible way. I also love thwarting white knight attempts to rehabilitate evil waifus.
>>
>>51356611
Yeah in bleach they atleast address this but it's much slower than they seem to make it out to be
>>
File: 1430547467836.jpg (528KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1430547467836.jpg
528KB, 1200x1200px
>>51354669
>>51351709
Especially as a drawn-out "getting to the BBEG" sequence.

>The inverse, where the BBEG is defeated because they pissed off people who had no capacity to hurt them at the time
>Maltreated minion sets them up to fail

Also
>The old fart doesn't need the vigor of youth to beat your ass in sideways
>Humans being surprisingly inhuman
>Nonhuman things being surprisingly human
>Huge motherfucker is always super careful and gentle, and has a kitten or something hiding in his clothes
>Something threatens said kitten and gets punted into the stratosphere
>Ugly, horrific, or threatening thing helps the heroes because they risked being kind to it
>>
>>51348443
For most of human history the perspective had been the world is getting worse. It's only in the last couple of centuries we've really started thinking 'fucking hell electricity and lavatory paper is sweet, we're Lucky's

Even now you get plenty of people saying how hood the old days when we built stuff were
>>
>>51352912
>implying he had any decadence or debauchery if he doesn't have at least a dozen bastards running around
>>
>>51348402
>In the most dire hour, the hero is overcome by a supernatural force, and completely wrecks legions of evil troops

Iunno why but this gets my blood pumping.
>>
File: 1478594826295.png (225KB, 347x801px) Image search: [Google]
1478594826295.png
225KB, 347x801px
>>51357919
>>The old fart doesn't need the vigor of youth to beat your ass in sideways
My absolute favorite
>The Mentor goes toe-to-toe with their ancient rival, knowing they probably won't win, in order to buy their student time to run/get into position/etc.

Also >Mentors being gigantic trolls
>>
>The old wizard studies dark magic because SOMEONE needs to know the signs
>The old wizard extracts benign secrets from dark magic while doing so
>The old wizard is shunned, cursed, and laughed at, but trusts that it's all worth it in the end
>The BBEG tells him it's not, and gets a facefull of shitwrecking in return
>>
>>51348486
This is probably one of my favorites, but what I really love is when that old grizzled war vet pulls off his or her "final" great act of heroism, then says screw this, I ain't dying just yet, and joins the party.
>>
>>51348402
extreme odd couples because I have the emotional temperance of a gossipy teenage girl.

He's a paladin she's a mistress of torment of the 7th circle of hell.
He's a simple woodsman she's an immortal elven noble
He's a werewolf she's a vampire.

etc.
>>
>>51352770
>the seer is a sexy female virgin that loses her powers along with her virginity
>>
>>51348402
>The BBEG in the previous story is now a badass ally in the sequel

Fuck you all I LOVE this one.
>>
>>51351709
>>everyone the heroes helped during the story shows up to assist during the climax
I've loved this one ever since Final Fantasy 4 and Earthbound, and whenever I GM games that have a heroic theme to them, I try to use this for the finale. It's fan-fucking-tastic and feels so good.
>>
File: PFQy4yB.gif (27KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
PFQy4yB.gif
27KB, 300x169px
>>51357678
>try to enact a heroic sacrifice in a TTRPG
>crit on the death save
>>
>>51356894
Not that anon, but I would think that it's because (1) you're killing off a pre-determined badass character, and (2) it implies that only the young are capable of accomplishing things and that there is an "age limit" to adventuring.
>>
the hero says fuck the prophecy, does thing their own way, it works.
>>
>>51358006
>bastards
>heirs

I don't think you understand the fundamental flaw of bastards. Is it because you are one?
>>
>The remains of the last group of heroes get together to stand against a new threat
>The missing members show up for the final fight too

>The inspirational dead guy shows up when they're most needed, giving the heroes hope
>...They're not actually back, but it gives everyone else hope to keep going
>>
>>51356197
Bonus points if it's a character that's not been given respect by the rest of the characters.
>>
File: 1462939120671.jpg (191KB, 595x784px) Image search: [Google]
1462939120671.jpg
191KB, 595x784px
>There are no magic universities/schools/colleges.
>The world was "better" in the past (more unified/advanced/prosperous/peaceful, ect.) and almost everyone living in the present can't get over how great the old days were.
>Dungeons actually had a purpose before they became an abandoned dungeon.
>The bandit chief is a huge dickhead along with all his underlings.
>The gods directly intervene where they can by empowering their champions/followers.
>All the major parties at play just want to carve out what's best for them and their subjects with all other parties being damned.
>The only powers that are truly selfless, noble, and good are too scattered and too few to actually make a dent in the world, but they push against the current anyway.
>Creature hunters, mercenaries, and other lone warriors who don't concern themselves with politics and only care about their craft and their coin.
>Hag covens. I love me some hag covens.
>Treasure hunters who wait outside a ruin and steal from/kill the dumb saps who actually go in and get loot.
>Magic relics of great power from a forgotten age falling into the lap of some nobodies.
>The king's advisor is not working against him in any way.
>>
File: 1481912748802.jpg (140KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1481912748802.jpg
140KB, 640x640px
a personal favorite of mine, unexpected help from a previously unknown source shows up.
>>
>>51348402
>the Big Bad is a good person, but deeply misguided and with a serious case of tunnel vision
I like this one. Makes me sad but in a good way.
>>
>>51358077
>Wicked dangerous elf/demoness/etc.. Slowly develops feelings for hero. Turns into tsundere. Develops a soft side reserved only for hero still a homicidal maniac otherwise.

My dick is diamonds every time.
>>
>>51348402
>night time cities that aren't desolate shitholes and instead look amazing.
>boss weapons versus boss weapons.
>>
>The braggart rival to the Chosen Hero realises saving the world is more important than being the hero themselves and provides critical help

>Everyone was the Chosen Hero

>No one was the Chosen Hero because the prophecy was a load of hippie dippy baloney.
>>
File: 568969569734.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
568969569734.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>the kingdoms have fallen on poor terms of late
>they honor their ancient pact of brothership
>>
>>51358218
Without doubt, the best scene in the whole dammed trilogy. Theoden's death speech and the charge..
>>
>>51348402
>the cunt who does everything through money and political manipulation is murdered violently
>the consequences involve the world becoming a better place and the killer being glorified
I wish it was that easy in reality.
>>
>>51358235
for a movie that didnt include any super graphic violence I thought this was easily one of the best battles ever recorded in film history.
>>
File: Last Stand.jpg (355KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Last Stand.jpg
355KB, 1920x1080px
>one man army

And i mean literal 'plough though a thousand soliders like mowing grass' Musou tier one man armies.
>>
>>51358218
>The capitol is under siege
>A massive army is seen approaching, from a neutral faction
>Everyone holds their breath while they approach the besieging army
>...Rising into a cheer as they begin attacking the enemy
>>
>the villain has a legitimately better reason for doing what he does than the hero's reason for stopping him
>>
>kindly old mentor is actually a reformed evil wizard attoning for a lifetime of bad shit
>nobody knows until the party gets cornered and he fucking obliterates the enemy with dark magic
>>
File: 1420812498897.png (127KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1420812498897.png
127KB, 247x248px
>>51358285
>...which rises into despair as they attack the defending army after dealing with the attackers
>>
>completely alien or otherwise nonhumanoid monster turns out to be friendly or at least benign

In my campaigns, Otyughs are Brotyughs.
>>
File: r u srs.png (15KB, 197x197px) Image search: [Google]
r u srs.png
15KB, 197x197px
>>51348465
>underappreciated
>>
>>51358275
>The hero stays behind to hold the enemy back
>The hero's body is found next to a giant pile of their bodies

Or, more extreme
>The hero swears an oath to stand firm
>The hero dies, covered in wounds, still standing
>None of the enemy really want to be the one to see if he's really dead
>>
>>51358274
It's solid. Admittedly I don't know shit about mounted combat and so LoTR treating horses like motherfucking tanks seems odd. But watching them tear through the orcs is enough to rouse my feels.

>>51358287
once. Just once I want to see a dnd campaign where the players are harpers and get just torn into for being meddlesome and moralistic fucktards.
>>
>>51350848
And they still had to "discover" and "explore" them in the renaissance.
>>
>Humans are the aggressive and imperious race
Love it.
>>
>>51358349
if you didnt have a wall of expertly trained pike and spear men, armored cavalry pretty much were tanks. and when you get a charge the size of the one in the movie, 6000+ cav, its going to be exactly like a stampede featuring weapon slashes.
>>
>>51358381
If life sapient life exists out there we first contact will either involve killing it or fucking it.
>>
>physically weak character with a courageous streak
>especially if it gets them hurt sometimes
>>
>the disgruntled foreigner makes peace with the natives
>falls in love with the chiefs daughter
>helps the natives overcome the foreign invaders
>finally finds peace with a new life

pocahontas, ferngully, dances with wolves, avatar, im sure im missing more but this is clearly a popular trope.
>>
>>51350902
The pyramids and the sphinx were seen as majestic structures built by advanced predecessors. Even by the ancient Egyptians themselves. Also there were plenty of ancient ruins in the central America that were seen by newer peoples as remnants of great civilizations of the past (and which they were).
>>
>>51358397
the more you know. I'd chalked it up to the same constraints that forced a tap to the breastplate to put an uruk-hai down. In other news

>the kindly old grandfather wizard is actually a brutal manipulator. Callously destroying lives and crushing internal opposition in the name of some greater cause

The world needs another Bayaz
>>
>>51358431
also, I think the main reason people love this trope is because the local Chad always gets BTFO by the foreigner.
>>
>>51358442
And by the way, in Central America they were entire abandoned cities.
>>
>>51358458
if you'd like a historical example of how massive cavalry charges work, look up the battle of gaugamela. Alexander the great vs the king of persia who's name i forget. Alexander charged with 18000 cav and the persians broke before he even hit their lines. Even if you manage to stop a charge that big with foot soldiers, the first few lines of men are going to be utterly destroyed, and its hard to find soldiers willing to stand their ground in that situation.
>>
>>51358431
It was actually surprising to see Avatar play the mighty whitey, noble savage and all the related tropes absolutely straight.
>>
>>51358487
18k is one hell of a number. No matter how many times you slice it. But I' ll look it up, somehow I always expected a line or three of pikemen to just murder a charge. The idea of horses jumping or just breaking through never really seemed real
>>
>>51358133
>he doesn't know William the conqueror

kek
>>
>>51358163
You mean like deux ex machina or like when it was foreshadowed previously?
>>
>despite the Kingdom's noble and valiant defensive effort it ends up getting destroyed by the attacking forces
>>
>>51358536
The number is probably exaggerated.
>>
>>51358536
its something that looks amazing on paper until you try and find men willing to stand in the face of a force that large. RotK did an excellent job portraying what it would be like when half the orcs were getting scared, a few of them started running, and the others just stood there looking dazed. If you watch the scene from braveheart you might think pikes > cav automatically, but there was only around 200-300 cav in that scene.
>>
File: 1239737447056.jpg (99KB, 450x336px) Image search: [Google]
1239737447056.jpg
99KB, 450x336px
>>51358568
>The last defenders go down singing, not a dirge, but a triumphant hymn
>>
>>51358536
>>51358579
I had my numbers mixed up actually, 18k was the "largest cavalry charge in history" and was jan sobiesky the third of poland leading winged hussars into muslim invaders. Gaugamela was 7000 cav.

but like that second anon said, historical numbers are always debatable.
>>
File: 1345595757044.jpg (635KB, 2000x1297px) Image search: [Google]
1345595757044.jpg
635KB, 2000x1297px
>>51352991
>inb4 ''Maleficent isn't a villain''
In that movie? No, she isn't.
>>
>>51358629
Either way that puts some shit into perspective
>>
>>51352246
>"good system"
Maybe show them the tyranny of a democracy that results when you dethrone a family with a literal (if fantasy setting) divine mandate to rule?
>>
>>51358664
I want to play this. I can see all the different factions now, from brutal warlords to the tyrannical remnants of the mage's college to "meritocratic" merchants, with the party trying to find the heir, and facing the possibility that there might not be one left.
>>
File: 1476770929622.gif (176KB, 312x322px) Image search: [Google]
1476770929622.gif
176KB, 312x322px
>>51348486
Can you have a fetish for your favourite cliches/tropes?
>>
>>51358369
Have you BEEN to Italy? The line between Medieval and Renaissance buildings and art is far more blurred there than anywhere else, precisely because a Roman influence has dominated their culture since the beginning of the Middle Ages. The significance of the Renaissance was also partially played up by the historians of the greatest Renaissance era bigwigs, precisely to inflate the importance of their contributions. That's where the whole "Dark Ages" idea originates from in the first place
>>
>>51358645
theres another really good "test" for cavalry charges that was done on deadliest warrior of all places. They took 1 guy and had him stand in a field, then had 30 or something men on horses ride past him while they measured his heart rate. needless to say it was a very tense moment for him
>>
>>51351606
>>Good undead who need to struggle with their destructive instincts

I really appreciate the way Dark Souls did the whole Undead thing, where they must constantly struggle and maintain their mind and personality either by force of will or by taking the easy route and stealing the humanity of others.
>>
>>51358746
Yes I have. And yet it is a fact that people didn't care much about all that shit lying around.
>>
>>51358133
Do you? The first trueborn son has the strongest claim, but if one doesn't exist, then it's not really an issue.

The lineage would then either go to a son born of a daughter, or a bastard son, or a cousin, a nephew, or an uncle. The very concept where there wouldn't be a male heir is practically unheard of.
>>
>>51355374
>but is SO LUCKY reality itself bends over backwards to ensure he survives
It's weebshit but they did that in Danganronpa with Nagito. I definitely like when they are self aware that they can get away with a lot of shit.
>>
>>51358894
It's true, the only sort of kingdom that wouldn't have a male heir are the sort of degenerate ones that think only having a queen is ok.
>>
>>51357820
Tolkiens elves, were in fact bound like that.
>>
>>51348402
>hot headed evil guy/rival is egotistical but honorable. Turns out to be a relatively decent guy and defuncts after he is betrayed by evil faction.
>grizzled war vet is a big softie, but only to the younger females
>melee combatants met with a wall of bullets.
>low grade priest/cleric pulls off high level miracle when all else is lost.
>>
>>51359012
Which was heavily influence by abrahamic theology. Man has free will.
>>
>>51348422
Me too.
>>
>Old villain who realizes the error of their way and now seeks only peace, but is continually pursued due to infamy

A la Rurouni Kenshin
>>
>>51358547
>he can't recognize how exceptions only reinforce the rule
>>
>>51358637

From the people's point of view she was
>>
>>51359306
But not from the story point of view, and that's what matters here.
>>
File: Phoenix_ikki_final_bronze_cloth.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix_ikki_final_bronze_cloth.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>51356450
awwww yeeeaaaah
>>
>>51359012
Everyone in Tolkien was bound like that. Making an oath is serious business, the elves were just willy-nilly with it and got fucked for their hubris.
>>
>>51354165
>Helps that a president is replaceable, unlike a monarch.
You don't have a very good Vizier.

Oh, that's a point when it comes to tropes, the vizier is a cunning snake of a bastard, who maintains his own snake pit, shark and/or piranha tank, torture chamber and everyone except the king knows about it.
>>
>>51352506
Google Great Zimbabwe, retard.
>>
>>51359594
That's East Sub Saharan, even the greater kingdoms in West Sub Saharan didn't really leave ruins because the weather wasn't right for it.
>>
File: legolasandgimli.jpg (24KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
legolasandgimli.jpg
24KB, 500x508px
>>51348402
>Two badasses from different races become bros for life
>>
>>51358664
You don't even need a divine mandate for that. Revolutions are a bloody mess and very rarely lead to anything good in the observable future. You'd need some VERY good reasons to justify a revolution. Also, a reminder to Americans that a war of independence is not a revolution.
>>
>>51359694
I back this
>>
>>51359614
Your point? I don't see "west" or "east" mentioned anywhere in the post I was answering to, it's still Sub-Saharan.
>>
File: 1324780877774.jpg (37KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1324780877774.jpg
37KB, 409x409px
>character earns the grudging respect of another character who is predisposed against him
>by saving their life, or someone they care about
>>
>>51358274
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

There is competition out there.
>>
>>51356978
>Yfw its actually just one piece of gold and the pirate King just blew all his money before he died
>>
File: Ludwig.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ludwig.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>51348402
>Civilization has fallen to a corruption
>All the heroes are insane or have turned into monsters
>In a fight to the death, the former paladin regains a fraction of their sanity and would rather fight you to the end as a knight instead of a beast
>>
>>51357175
Because there is a stage honesty to it, not justification no fake morals or half-assed ethics, just a character throwing off the shackles of society and their humanity
>>
File: 5f7.jpg (18KB, 296x523px) Image search: [Google]
5f7.jpg
18KB, 296x523px
>>51357439
Truly a great trope.
>>
>>51352991
>>51358637
Making Maleficent into a hero is absolute bullshit. Hated that.
>>
>>51356807
>>The world is a mess and can only benefit from unification and a strong military
TES.
>>
>>51348422
Well, I guess you're in the wrong fucking thread dumbass.
>>
>>51358349
Then what would you have? Players just not helping or stopping the villain?
>>
>>51360439
From his pov every villain is the hero.
>>
>>51348448
You are me.
>>
>>51352175
WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY TO ME I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I GRADUATED TOP OF MY CLASS AT BLOODKILL VALLEY MEDICAL AND HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN NUMEROUS SECRET RAIDS ON
>>
>>51356450
>That's not a trope.
trope inversion, okay
>>
>>51348486
>goblins attack village
>townsfolk rally near the town square and try to fend them
>farmers with pitchforks standing shoulder to shoulder with the town guard
>commotion coming from the back of the goblin horde
>Holy shit is that old man marcus?
>swinging some old greatsword around like he's twenty
>Gobbos getting cut down like it's going out of style
>break and run
>THE DAY IS SAVED

Or something to that effect. Old adventurer retires to the edge of a quiet village. lives there long enough that most people forget what he used to do and saves them from a bit of trouble later.
>>
>>51357820
Kingdoms of Amalur, but there was only one dude
>>
>>51356978
>You see, each of your friends is but One Piece of the crew, but together you make the greatest of treasures! The real Pirate King's trove was by your side all along!
Fuck that shit.
>>
>>51348427
That movie sucked
>>
>>51352893
You're that asshole I keep having to stone to death in CK2
>>
>>51357439
The best. Also
>Teammates discussing which of them should sacrifice themselves, before facing a challenge which will inevitably require it.
>They come to a level-headed, relatively drama-free agreement.
>>
File: Rincewind.png (154KB, 250x430px) Image search: [Google]
Rincewind.png
154KB, 250x430px
>>51355374
Sure you don't mean SO UNLUCKY?
>>
File: sweating intensifies.jpg (99KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
sweating intensifies.jpg
99KB, 426x341px
>>51354165
>Floating continents
Oh my yes.
>>
>>51356311
>>
File: 1485074691770.gif (328KB, 549x598px) Image search: [Google]
1485074691770.gif
328KB, 549x598px
>Least godly/faithful man of the group prays durin the groups darkest hour to a deity for help/salvation
>Miracle happens and said character takes it as a sign/starts worshiping
>>
>>51358503
It's literally Space Pocahontas
>>
>A city absolutely lousy with thieves and corruption

>Irritating but mostly harmless and even endearing rivals of the MCs that get foiled every time.
>The one time they are successful, they are brutally slain by the BBEG.
>>
>>51358431
Ever read Shogun?
>>
File: one kek man.jpg (19KB, 292x326px) Image search: [Google]
one kek man.jpg
19KB, 292x326px
>>51352175
>Bloodkill Valley Medical.
>>
>>51348402
>>The King/queen/emperor is actually completely incompetent but insists on getting personally involved if the threat become great enough.

Long live the liability.
>>
Modern world humans transported into generic D&D world, the Gates premise of generic medieval fantasy meeting modern technology and other fish out of water, culture clash and first contact tropes. Especially the first contact part.

Polymorphing/transformation as a plot device.
>>
File: AKU.jpg (77KB, 1070x687px) Image search: [Google]
AKU.jpg
77KB, 1070x687px
>>51355437
>>the bad guy wins
>>the bad ending is canon
>>
>>51348402
>Magic having a corrupting influence on its users
Fuck yes, whenever this is included in a setting with magic it instantly gives it a big boost for me.

Also
>A greedy and/or selfish character always ends up doing the right thing by accident or happenstance
>>
File: 1447713250621.jpg (71KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1447713250621.jpg
71KB, 680x680px
>>51352246
>threw rocks at them
>>
>>51362945
>That image
>What is "Dream of the Fisherman's Wife"?
>>
>organization not directly related to personal combat
>each member's fighting prowess correlates to their position in the hierarchy anyway
>>
>>51357613
>>51357779
I think anon is looking for *psionic hivemind fellowship*

I guess
>>
File: 269751375.jpg (50KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
269751375.jpg
50KB, 640x400px
>>51351709
>>everyone the heroes helped during the story shows up to assist during the climax

sexy
>>
>antagonist is honorable as duck and heals/shares a meal with the heroes before battle
>overcoming fate or destiny
>rousing speeches to rally the troops when everything seems darkest
>Fighting against a god and winning
>when a regular ass motherfucker like Sam in Lord of the Rings turns out to be the biggest bravest hero of them all
>>
>>51363503
>honorable as duck
Thanks auto correct.
>>
File: 0_5f7f5_de3c5746_XXL.gif (319KB, 700x870px) Image search: [Google]
0_5f7f5_de3c5746_XXL.gif
319KB, 700x870px
>>51353270
>Flying whales (or really, any fishes)
>Because Gojira
Literally did this, and for the same reasons
>>
>>51351303
>character who acts like a prick but actually follows admirable principles
This. I love stuff with this kinda shit, like WORST (the manga) & others like it
>>
>>51363503
>>antagonist is honorable as duck

>>bbeg is actually a giant evil rapist duck with impeccable manners shrouded in legalese and nobility
>>
>>51359984
Fucking Ludwig
There isn't anything that can top this for me
>>
>>51359984
>>51364828
Who is he? And wtf happened to him?
>>
>>51348465
Wow, i could SMELL the sarcasm.
>>
>>51352702
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzvjOg9zBSI

I'll never get tired of things like this
>>
>>51348607
They did this best in a recent film known as "Kung Fu Panda 3". Superb work.
>>
One of my favorite tropes is when a super powerful character is in his final fight, and loses and arm or a leg and doesn't even acknowledge it.
>>
>>51364930
I cannot give this character justice, but it's from the game Bloodborne
Basically Ludwig is a pretty fucking big deal, since he was one of the most powerful knights of the realm
Spooky shit starts to happen with lovecraftian entities, and ludwig gets a big fucking magical sword that makes him even more powerful
He has such an influence on the various people & factions that his sword gets replicated into standard steel version and an entire fighting style is created from it, that is highly honored amongst the hunters of the church
Things get worse, and as the world falls into corruption, the sword that was pretty much the only things keeping Ludwig's sanity at bay starts to wisper in his ears
Since a rule in bloodborne is basically that the more you have killed + the more your will is strong = the more corrupted and powerful you become when you fall, ludwig turns into one hell of a monstrosity over the years
So yeah, ludwig doesn't fuck around. But, the thing is, when you finally met him, he's no longer even conscious, he's litterally turned into the very thing he sought to destroy. If you take half of his health down, he'll start having memories of himself again, and even though he cannot stop himself, he basically decide to still fight you like the knight that he once was
enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPP1e7hOyik
>>
>>51365405
This is probably the most memorable fight in bloodborne if not the entire souls franchise.
>>
>>51365405
>mfw I have his face next to the sword as my phone background
>>
File: ludwig.jpg (374KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ludwig.jpg
374KB, 1920x1080px
>>51365435
I agree
the orphan of kos was a nice one too but way less memorable
>>
File: Gaunter.jpg (171KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gaunter.jpg
171KB, 1920x1080px
>>51357175
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.