[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Your usual generic medieval fantasy world >Except that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1483091423494.jpg (412KB, 1100x775px) Image search: [Google]
1483091423494.jpg
412KB, 1100x775px
>Your usual generic medieval fantasy world
>Except that there are occasional dimension travellers from our world and current time
>This is accidental, meaning that none of them are scientists or have any goal aimed at this point in time
>They keep everything they had on their person, and can learn magic

How would a world work with such a concept? how would normal peasants fare when someone from our world is smart enough to push technological advancements increasingly rapidly by themselves? would there be a society that heavily monitors the dimension jumpers? would the dimension travellers unite together to further expand their capabilities? what would happen if farmer john was living his entire life in the farm and suddenly a man in a harley appeared asking for food and a place to stay?

What situations can I throw my players in? here's some ideas I had

>DJ gets thrown with most of his equipment, his mixer is left intact and preserved hundreds of years by a tribe, awaiting the arrival of the mighty "Yamaha"
>Soldier is hunted by groups of assasins in search for what rumours say is "the ultimate weapon"
>Electricist trying to find a way to make electricity and usher the world into a new age
>>
File: apocalypse warrior 1.jpg (162KB, 1062x751px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse warrior 1.jpg
162KB, 1062x751px
>>51336599
>some lore about an 'other world'
>tech people are carrying is not going to make a lot of impact
>maybe you'll meet some people that talk like modern day new yorkers and tell you they used to be a bank teller
honestly, sounds like a rather boring way to use parralel worlds

personally I'm more fond of the idea of the fantasy world being our world in the far future (after some catastrophic event) then the isekai self inserts can be cyronically frozen to end up here or something and you can use the remains of the old world as great setpieces.
Or else have it be an intentional thing anyway and have the dimensional travellers be nazi seperatists fleeing Earth after the war ended using occult nazi magic and setting up an isolationist and xenophobic base in the mountains using WWII technology.
>>
Sounds like the Bardic Voices series of books.

We'd probably have less of these threads if people actually bothered to read books anymore.
>>
>>51336599
That sounds like GURPS Banestorm
>>
>>51336779
well maybe it depends on how implausible you can get with stuff

What if the bank teller tries to form the basis of the first corporations around

what if the tech that the people are carrying starts to be used in bigger than life situations, like the mcguffing being a gun (Which essentially allows any peasant to have destructive power) whovever gets to it first, can use it to backwards engineer it and start making guns for their own faction (Can be handwaved as dwarves knowing how to craft shit)

the tech of the other world would essentially start bleeding into the fantasy one, erudites would be learning the teachings of some high school biology proffesor or a medic, and certain advancements (possibly electricity) could arrive faster than normal, creating a big rift in between the common peasant and the folks living in the capital were proffesors teach fairly limited by our time but absolutely groundbreaking for them
>>
>>51336599
Go and read the 5 million isekai manga and anime.
>>
>>51336599
Sooner or later a mathematician or an economist is going to fall through, and then your generic medieval fantasy is going to turn on its head.
>>
>>51336599
>>51336975
Yeah. It's a good setting.
>mfw Abydos.
>>
>>51336599
Your average person isn't going to be able to push technology in a "medieval" setting forward anyway. Your average person knows next to nothing useful about modern or even old fashioned technology that could be remotely useful for the medieval men of wealth. Your average person from today would do terribly in medieval europe.

t.killjoy
>>
File: 50257933_p0.jpg (316KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
50257933_p0.jpg
316KB, 900x900px
>>51336599
gj, I love poco's works
>>
>>51336599
But thats literally Planescape you fucking doofus.
>>
>>51336599
>>51338598
This image is really cool.
I think FFXV is going to be the introduction to modern fantasy (that isn't all hidden masquarade) to a lot of people, and I hope it popularizes the concept.
Imagine combining it with some higher fantasy tropes like flying islands or fuckhueg trees.
In this art I can already imagine modern cat- schoolgirls waking up to their electric alarm clock, petting their tiny dragon pet and jumping on their scooter to follow the wooden boardwalk to school, 6 levels up.
>>
>>51338755
Masquerade type of modern fantasy are garbage tier self-fellating shit.
I always hate that type of garbage since it is obvious the author are self inserting and writing his own wank material.
>>
>>51336599
>What is Zero no Tsukaima
>>
>>51338803
>masquerade

What?
>>
>>51339813
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Masquerade
>>
>>51339813
>>51340147
You can just say "like in Harry Potter" and most people will get it. What I don't understand is why the chosen one in HP would be more self inserting wank material than the chosen one in Eragon. The only thing the masquarade does is make it plausably happen in "the real world".
>>
>>51342564
bump
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.