[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is Fate Core/Accelerated? I am running a game with a Solar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: photo-main.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
photo-main.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
How is Fate Core/Accelerated?

I am running a game with a Solar Dragon, Raccoon Post Apoc Gadgeteer, steampunk squire, and a psychotic psionic in a multi dimensional threat sorta superhero esque game.

Near everyone just doesn't seem to stand Mutants and Masterminds 3e, at least not the combat due to it being "swingy" and either enemies get absolutely demolished or attacks not doing anything at all (Although really, those few cases have been my fault in both enemy approach and calculation of defenses) and that they have to "wait" for an enemy to make their saving throw rather than being more "proactive" with their rolls.
>>
FATE is... Okay. It's good at what it does but by this point it's not particularly impressive. Aspects and the concepts it was working with were revolutionary when they first turned up, but by now they're kinda par for the course for narrative games.

It's a solid system for genre emulation, lots of neat narrative rules for making your character matter and a significant amount of content and subsystems you can plug in for various themes and settings.

I've always liked the idea of FATE, but what's let it down for me has been the lack of a meaningful and enjoyable combat system. In so many stories conflict is the center of storytelling, those climactic moments when everything comes to a head really mean something. And in my experience FATE just fails to capture that. Combat feels like everything else, at best, or annoyingly unsatisfying at worst, especially since the actual 'game' of combat is a solved puzzle by this point, with a single optimal strategy that's always best and no real variety in what you can choose to do.
>>
>>51330836
tl:dr: Fate is a narrative-focused rpg. Those who come from a more traditional ones - say, D&D - need to do a perspective shift to grok it. Some can do it better than others, and some will find out they actually prefer more gamist-centered games instead.
>>
>>51330890
Oh hey its you again. I'll just repeat that combat does not have an optimal strategy, and for further arguments refer to previous threads where it has been explained already.

Or, you can always go to Fate Core G+ group and present your arguments to its developers there, who are likely very happy to explain things in great detail.
>>
>>51330962

I've never really posted this before, so enlighten me.

Did they ever fix the 'stack aspects, last person king hits' issue? Since in many prior iterations of the game that was always the most efficient way to approach things.
>>
>>51330962
>Or, you can always go to Fate Core G+ group and present your arguments to its developers there, who are likely very happy to explain things in great detail.

If you want to advertise, buy a self serve ad.
>>
File: Your mind on 4chan 2.png (345KB, 514x390px) Image search: [Google]
Your mind on 4chan 2.png
345KB, 514x390px
>>51330890
Well, I was considering Fate because one of the experienced GM players recommended it to me. But if the combat sucks in that I really don't know what to do at this rate.

It would have been really nice if I didn't have to worry about this shit. if I wasn't running on four hours of sleep, under stress from people threatening to leave the game, and having to hear complaints about things I cannot control from literally everyone in the group, maybe the combat that was considered so bad last session would have been interesting.
>>
Have you looked into Valor? It's another M&Mish system with build your own powers, but a more fleshed out tactical combat system.
>>
>>51331582
It looks interesting but I can't say I'm too fond of the strong emphasis on attributes for powers, at least that's what I'm seeing so far.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.