[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/ Been a fan of 40k for a while and I'm just starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 40k.jpg (28KB, 480x251px) Image search: [Google]
40k.jpg
28KB, 480x251px
Sup /tg/

Been a fan of 40k for a while and I'm just starting to get into playing. Had my first game with some friends today as imperial guard. I was wondering about what a decent army to start with would be? I've been looking at tyranids and recently Inquisition but I haven't had a chance to check their respective books. I want to come to a decision too since the books and models are a bit pricey and I don't want to get something I won't have fun with.
>>
First things first, go to the 40k general. They have all of the codices available for download there so you can pick and choose your army.

Secondly, do you play other strategy games? (ie Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Total War) What's your strategy in those? Hordes of nameless weaklings? Late-game heavy armored badasses? Tanks? Light Cavalry? And so forth.

Lastly, what sort of experience or constraints do you have with tabletop games? Do you paint models? What sort of budget do you want to divert into the hobby?
>>
>>51301782
Just pick whichever army you like the looks and playstyle of the most.
>>
Also: are you really motivated by the style of Inquisition and Tyranids? Or are there other armies you're invested in? There's not much use of building an army you don't like to play with.
>>
>>51304077
I would usually try to get an even mix of all kinds of troops in AoE and rush enemies in waves until they died with out really caring how much of my own units fell.

and I'm a little tight on money currently but I planned on seeing if I could find some stuff on ebay for cheap, or saving for one of the starter sets on the gw site.

>>51304105
I mainly really like them for fluff reasons. I played a lot of Dark Heresy so I just love the inquisition anyway, and tyranids are badass. I haven't really looked over the other armies all that much though.
>>
>>51304077
also I have no previous experience with tabletops or painting models but that's just part of the appeal for me.
>>
>>51307264
>even mix of all kinds of troops in AoE and rush enemies in waves until they died with out really caring how much of my own units fell.

Imperial Guard
>>
>>51307264
I'd recommend you go download the Astra Militarum (aka Imperial Guard) codex from the 40k General and give it a read. I think you'll like their premise and strategy.

Starter Sets are a good option. The Astra Militarum are easy enough to paint and build. Make sure you get the basic tools for 40k (i.e. paintbrushes, tape measure, etc) from people who aren't GW if you can. That'll save some money.

If you like the Inquisition for fluff reasons, go take a read through the Inquisition part of the Inperial Agents codex. There are rules for bringing Inquisitors, their Acolytes, some Storm Troopers, and elites based on what branch Inquisitor they are (Deathwatch for Oreo Xenos, Grey Knights for Ordo Malleus, etc). You can bring your acolyte team to life using those rules, and ally them with your Astra Militarum to bring them all in a game, if you want to.

Make sure you read the rulebook a few times before you play so you have an understanding on how the game works. Also, check out some of the pages on 1d4chan. It has some good tactics for basic strategies, building armies, etc. Here's a good page for how to do tabletop well for beginners, though it still helps to read the rulebook: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.