[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear potential DM's. Do you wanna avoid being called "that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: tutorial.jpg (66KB, 548x365px) Image search: [Google]
tutorial.jpg
66KB, 548x365px
Dear potential DM's. Do you wanna avoid being called "that DM"? You want players to be careful and to not run blindly into encounters and to face consequences but don't wanna accomplish that with TPK? Take a hint from videogames: TUTORIALIZE.

Say you want your party to encounter a dungeon with traps? Well here's how you can do that.

1) Have the first trap they encounter have an obvious trigger. Have there be some broken panels of wood around a slightly raised stone. Have obvious burn/singe marks on a specific area or a part of the room clearly eaten away by acid. This trap should communicate to the PC's that "This dungeon has traps and if you're aware of your surroundings you can avoid them".

2) Have the next trap be more well hidden but nonlethal. A pit trap without spikes, a broken pendulum or just a simple dart/arrow trap that'll rough a player up or make traversal more difficult but won't auto-kill them. This'll teach the players that some traps will be more well hidden than others and that you may not always feed them the answer.

3) When you finally introduce your first bullshit horrible death trap have an enemy fall for it first. Have a goblin or orc or ogre run into a giant wall of spikes or a doorframe that explodes into a fireball spell. It'll communicate that there are traps that're horrible and will kill you dead but when the victim is just a random enemy they're not invested in there will be a sense of fairness there.

From that point on you can feel pretty confident that if players aren't careful or get buttfucked by a falling stone ceiling that's mostly on them and only the most petty or antagonistic players would blame you for something like that.
>>
>>51299187
Did something bad happen to you, anon?
>>
>>51299187
>I'm a whiny man baby that needs everything spoonfed to me!
>Why am I being punished for not being cautious in a dangerous environment?
>This should be more like muh vidya gaymes WAAAAAAAAAAH!

I think that about covers it.
>>
>>51299187
Or just talk to your players like they're grown ups.

>hey guys, this campaign will be fairly deadly, and you'll need to be careful, particularly in avoiding traps.
>>
>>51299364

Who shit in your mouth man?
>>
>>51299187
That's pretty overkill. Any one of those things should tell a player to look out for traps. I prefer the Goblinpunch method.
Trap A is in easy to see. The players just need to use their brain to figure out how to pass it.
Trap B is hard to see. If the players don't look for it, the trap will mess them up pretty bad.
Trap C might be seen even by passive perception, but roll for it. Or it might be unavoidable. This trap just hits them, and inflicts some kind of effect that make the players think "How do I fix the fact that I am poisoned/bleeding/covered in grey-render mating pheromones?".
>>
>>51299187

You come across as a smug misanthrope with a misplaced sense of superiority. All of these things could be handled better by being up front and using good communication skills to warn your players. But no, you assume off the bat that they're all brainless cud-chewers who need to be manipulated into correct behaviour.

Have a hearty go-fuck-yourself, you tryhard.
>>
Not only am I very sure I have seen the OP before, but I'm confident I have seen the first 5 posts in that order as well.
>>
>>51299187
>playing boring-ass dungeon crawls
Literally worse than a video game.
>>
File: 1335509903393.jpg (76KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1335509903393.jpg
76KB, 500x375px
>>51299187
>He doesn't advance slowly with a 10ft pole tapping every part of the ground
>>
>>51299637
It was probably himself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.