[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Tell me about your character!

How in depth do you go with personality/backstory?
>>
I know every single pubic hair of her since the day she got them and every secret thought and wish she never dared to speak.
>>
>>51293837
broad strokes and bullet points.

it gives a GM leeway to fuck with it for best effects(like inserting old girlfriends/victims/both or past encounters like bounty hunters).

and it's usually a short enough list that I can hand it to the other players and they can assume to know everything on it got explained in idle conversation...
>>
I tend to sort of go overboard after an old DM burned me often for not providing specific info.
>>
>>51294568
>after an old DM burned me often for not providing specific info
The fuck?
>>
>>51294637
If we weren't very clear and detailed about our characters, then he'd fill in the blanks or take advantage, to fuck us over.

Like he tricked me into an oedipal situation because I made an orphan character in an attempt to avoid added detail/complexity.
>>
File: 1474152582894.jpg (92KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
1474152582894.jpg
92KB, 500x345px
>>51293837
Broad idea that I narrow over the course of a campaign.

Or that's how it would go if I ever played anything.
>>
>>51294661
What a cock. He sounds like a terrible DM.
>>
>>51294637
I'll bet it's the other end of the spectrum from >>51294543
putting in stuff because there was a free spot in the backstory timeline.

>>51294661
>oedipal situation
...wow, what an asshole...
unless thats your fetish
>>
>>51294661
That's kinda funny and neat, but still sorta fucked up?

How'd you feel about it?
>>
>>51294684
>That's kinda funny and neat
How is that neat? Fucking over a player and dictating their actions/character motives for the player is a real dick move.
>>
>>51294661
So do you just write multi page essays, detailing every year of your character's life?
>>
>>51294676
He was a good DM just kind of vindictive if you gave him the chance.

>>51294684
I didn't like it, no. At least it wasn't just a random "Gotcha!" though, there was plot motivation for it.
>>
>>51294721
I have a form I follow for every character now.
>>
>>51294723
>just kind of vindictive if you gave him the chance
Which is really douchey. A DM shouldn't be actively looking to tick off players.
>>
>>51293837
I went deep because I thought the whole party was doing so too but that was incorrect, led to situations where the character simply couldn't continue with the group only three sessions in, to make it worse he wasn't even a LG pally or something, just a normal former soldier.

never again.
>>
>>51294758
Doesn't mean bad DM though.
>>
>>51293837
>Tell me about your character!

I'm playing a human fighter (archery focus) who, as a kid, got sick of living in a little hamlet and decided to stow away with a traveling theater troupe. Eventually joining their ranks and learning archery (trick shots 'n such as part of their act).

Years later, while travelling around, they were beset by a tribe of lycanthropes. His friends in the troupe were found either dead or missing. The woman he loved, a villager in one of the towns the troupe regularly visited, was cursed by the lycanthropes. He couldn't bring himself to kill her.

He now travels the world looking for his missing troupe-mates and a cure for the woman he loves. He picks up odd jobs here and there, partying with various adventures.
>>
pretty deep

i play 2 characters right now in pathfinder games

a human l/n inquisitor and a n/g thiefling(dwarf base) magus

the inquisitor is an ex cultist for a rival god, now convert. he's a moderate zealot (gonna push his views but not gonna torture or kill for them)

the magus firmly believe he is a dwarf with too much devil blood due to an old familial curse surging back in him

both are well defined with likes and dislikes
>>
>>51293837
It tends to depend on the setting

If I am really behind the setting and am inspired by it, I can pretty easily come up with a fairly in-depth character

If the setting seems bland or I just don't particularly care for it then its a lot harder for me to make a character that lives in that setting
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.