[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is going to sound like a stupid question but what are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

This is going to sound like a stupid question but what are some beginer friendly tabletop rpgs? My friend bought a DnD book and it's filled with so much content and no real earnest to go about playing without already knowing what to do. It's all gibberish and not enjoyable or easy to digest.

Like what about something with 5 stats and a basic choice of equipment that confer bonuses to choose from and a simple way to quest some shit up?
>>
Rules light RPGs are a good place to start learning the ropes, although some editions of D&D are also better than others.

Powered by the Apocalypse games are the most famous for really streamlining the mechanics and getting you right into the roleplaying, but rules light games are in vogue at the moment so there's a huge amount to choose from and you can find PDFs of a hell of a lot of them floating around on /tg/.

If you really want a D&D type exeperience, I'd say 4e is probably the most beginner friendly. Of all the editions it has the best layouts and templating for ease of use, a generally streamlined set of mechanics and power cards neatly set all your options out in front of you, telling you exactly what you need to roll and what they can do.
>>
>>51288194
Have you seen Harmon Quest? Like that seems so simple and the right style to go about things. Just give players choices and events and each character has equipment already they chose.
>>
>>51288216

Looking it up they actually use Pathfinder, so it's likely that the simplicity is just the GM doing most of the work before the session or behind the screen, and/or just handwaving rules for the sake of swiftness and comedy.

That sort of competence does take a while to build, a lot of effort to look effortless and such.
>>
File: quick_primer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
quick_primer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51288167
c >>51279523
>>
>>51288167
I would say 5e, as it is very simple but has just enough crunch for new players.

What about WHFRP though? I read it, it doesn't sound too difficult desu
>>
>>51288167
GURPS
>>
>>51288322

That is literally the opposite of everything he is asking for.,
>>
>>51288167
I had a really good time with Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition, but I'm pretty sure the book is out of print. The pdf is floating around somewhere. It's about as minimal as it can get without being World of Dungeons.

>>51288332
I don't like GURPS, but no it's not, as long as they stick to Light or Ultra Light.
>>
>>51288167
4th and 5th editions DND are much more newbie friendly than previous ones so you could try those for ease and popularity.

>>51289122
>I don't like GURPS, but no it's not, as long as they stick to Light or Ultra Light.
Gotta specify that rather than throwing the whole swamp of available books on them.
>>
>>51289227
The old D&D are also pretty friendly, really it's just AD&D 2nd ed and 3rd edition spinoffs that are a bit overwhelming (honestly though, even 4e and 5e aren't that newbie friendly, only compared to other D&Ds; there's a lot of content and a lot of busywork before you get to the game).
>>
>>51288167
DnD5E und Warhammer
>>
>>51289297
5e really didn't feel like that.

I'm new to D&D, with just a bit of experience otherwise, but once I had concept that I'm making a cleric it all went pretty quick. Standard array stat spread with emphasis on mental stats, few equips options (no picking through the whole giant pile of stuff just by costs and guessing what's good for your class), select domain, pick spells and done, ready to roll.
>>
>>51289328
Although to add, I did use the online tool to look up spells, the book has them organized hella weird.
>>
>>51289325
Warhammer doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>51289122
GURPS Light is easy to learn and if you like more details and shit you can transition easily to core GURPS.
>>
>>51292237
You can play WHPG as much as any other RPG.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.