[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 43

File: pgt beauregeneral.jpg (62KB, 432x590px) Image search: [Google]
pgt beauregeneral.jpg
62KB, 432x590px
Last thread:
>>51210698

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Dudes on a map and wargames, what's your best? Worst? Is STEEV right that pushing carboard HoN and 2 dice is better than the buckets from Memoir '44?
>>
dominion has no theme
>>
>>51276022
>HoN and 2 dice is better than the buckets from Memoir '44?

Heh, Memoir 44 - buckets...

Ork / Imperial Guard / Tyranid players from 40K would like to have a word with you about what 'Buckets' of dice really is...
>>
A Question about Descent.
Anyone tried the Automated Overlord?
Are there any other such options? different rules / tools that change the game?
>>
>>51276077
Go to bed Sam.
>>
>>51276402
One could potentially create a deck of cards that controlled the actions of the Overlord (sort of like the enemie AI cards for Gears of War) that could allow the game to run without a human Overlord player. But I don't know of anyone having created such a deck.
>>
>>51276398
Fair enough, but when someone asks me for an intro "wargame" those are the two I'd recommend, and I generally ask how much do you wanna just chuck dice?
>>
>>51276022
Ogre is the best wargame and everyone knows it

I mean the original ogre
>>
File: IMG_1307.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1307.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51276022
>fresh oc for fresh bread

so i have been taking the knife to my boxes. wether it is the actual box, a new box or making an insert that will fit all expansions in the main box.

here i made a new box that snugly fits all of tempus components in literally half the box.
http://imgur.com/a/Yo3yO

i was going to make a foam insert but decided that everything fits so neatly there really was no need. (also wouldnt even fit, so small is the box now.)

soon i will have three times as much space.

also. i was just gonna print out the tempus name and glue the paper on the box and sides. i think it will do its job well. just wondering if anyone has a better solution.
>>
Anyone else hype for Gloomhaven?

Looks better than KD:M tbqh
>>
>>51276398
Yeah, my one real gripe with HoN is the criticality of single d6 rolls. Having your tanks all whiff their shots on the same halftrack for two rounds in a row could drive a nun to murder. Single die keeps combat simple and fast, but larger numbers would normalize better.

I've considered splitting the difference between dice and deterministic resolution by giving each player a set of playing cards marked 1-6 to use each turn instead of a die, having the player pick one of those to play facedown (and then discard for the rest of the turn), and then the opponent picks whether to accept that card's result or substitute a die roll and chuck the card without seeing it.
>>
File: 1436165599769.gif (3MB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
1436165599769.gif
3MB, 266x200px
>>51276559
poorfag detected.
>>
>>51276559
I'm at a solid 9/10
>>
>>51276559
I'm ready to be disappointed
>>
>>51276599
>Card or dice houserule
My first instinct is that any opponent will expect you to spend your high cards on the critical rolls and just always make you throw the dice on thsoe, rendering the houserule moot, and then make you take the card for the less-important rolls in the round, assuming you gave those the low cards.
But then you'd just play the low cards on the critical rolls assuming the opponent makes you take the dice anyways, and then get guaranteed success on the weaker ones when the other guy thinks he's feeding you a 1.
And once the other guy thinks he's being out-mindgamed he can just decline to participate and always give you the die.
Might end up being just as random as the dice, but at least people would feel a little more responsible for it.
Let me know how it works out.
>>
File: pic152928.jpg (210KB, 750x1011px) Image search: [Google]
pic152928.jpg
210KB, 750x1011px
My favourite strategic wargame is Virgin Queen, but for two players I'd go with Pax Baltica. My favourite tactical wargame is probably Commands and Colors: Ancients, but I'll admit I haven't played many.

the absolute worst wargame is an old shitshow called Dark Emperor, "a game in which the ground itself is your greatest enemy". It's a strategic game where one player is the Dark Emperor, invading a world iwith ring-shaped continents, and the other player is the inhabitants, and you have to rally the nations and coordinate defense.

I absolutely love the premise, but it is a game where every single move you make with your armies is going to cause attrition, which will consist of losses much greater than any battles you will fight. There is no way to reduce attrition, so your best bet is to simply stack as many dudes in a square as possible, which will lead to inevitable losses, but fewer losses than if you march divided and fight concentrated.
The shape of the continents also means you can't really maneuver anything, except your heroes who can fly around as much as they want.

Oh, and the designers notes include him jerking off to his world-building, while admitting he didn't spend a lot of time playtesting.
>>
>>51276446
That exists already, its called redjak automated overlord

Available on BGG forums
>>
>>51276599
I think this would be more interesting if you only allow the defending player to ignore something like 3 or 4 of the cards in a round, so they still have to make a choice about what they think the other player is prioritizing and can't just stick their fingers in their ears and refuse to participate.
>>
>>51276559
I'm very hype. Probably too hype.
>>
File: 1413929577704.gif (850KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1413929577704.gif
850KB, 320x320px
>>51277063
While I don't own Descent, posting that tidbit was greatly appreciated.
>>
How hard is it to make a decent Dune pnp
>>
>there will never be a spiritual successor to space hulk death angel
>>
>>51280469
Shouldn't be that hard, someone posted full files on BGG for a version themed around the Sci-Fi version of the film. Believe there were a couple mispellings, but everything was there to do either on cardstock/sticker paper or upload to one of the game crafting pnp websites.
>>
>>51276077
It has no fun either.

>>51276022
I feel like vanilla trash without my own independent opinion whenever I say it, but Twilight Struggle is that fucking good.
>>
Is memoir 44 a good first wargame
I feel like my brother would dig it since it's ww2 themed and it's days of wonder (and I really love em)
>>
>>51283381
There's a lotta people who deride it as playing with a bunch of army men (and it is but fuck you that's fun); those same people often love Commands/Colors Ancients. The system can be learned in under 5 minutes, the card system does a decent job simulating fog of war; but it is pretty swingy based on your dice, and I've heard some of the missions aren't perfectly balanced. Personally prefer it to HoN, but the downside is parts of it are OOP/hard to find.
>>
Am I alone in wishing games were more mechanical than thematic?

I've been getting really into the abstract strat games of the 60s and 70s with some of it due to the lack of theme. Does theme matter to people? Have you guys taken a chance due to theme, or steered away from?
>>
>>51284131

I think theme is incredibly important for providing a mental framework for what you're doing. You could strip, say, Pandemic of its theme and you're just working to get rid of colored cubes because that's the goal of the game, but I guarantee that it would be harder to learn or play, because when you're engaging it you're drawing on (on some basic level) your knowledge of how disease works. Even with something relatively theme-light like Dominion uses what flavor text it does have to make cards stick more easily in your mind. Also, a lot of game design comes from looking at a real life thing and figuring out a clever way to boil it down into a set of rules that's fun to interact with.

That's not to say you can try to trade on theme alone. You can't just say "Zombies!" or "Cthulhu!" and have a good game. There's a lot of shitty theme-heavy games out there. But I don't think it's something you can neglect.
>>
>>51284523
That's sort of the thing with me though is I've been playing a fair amount games that are devoid of theme entirely and I love it, so much so I've taken to liking other games that are more theme heavy less. I see what you mean about attachment to rules through more light information to hold onto as well as pre association with something thematically.

It's mainly just interesting to me given everything I play lacks theme, but it seems like everything I see people post is very theme oriented.
>>
>>51285283
Good luck convincing anyone to play an abstract version of twilight imperium.
>>
What are some good competitive non dexterity based games?
Preferably something around 20-70 USD, looking to round out my collection since the closest thing I have to that would be TTR.
Also preferably one that scales well from 2-6 players, and is on the lighter side (or at least something that isn't more than 3 hours when learned)
>>
Help me out bgg, I bought some card sleeves for my space hulk death angel game (base set only). I put all of my cards in the sleeves but now the stacks are too tall to fit into the box, any advice on how to make them fit?
>>
>>51286162
The only games that fit your description (minus, potentially, good) are Ticket to Ride abd Catan.
>>
>>51286336
dang really?
i was thinking about getting another ttr like europe but i kinda want something with combat
maybe ill look at kemet to see if it'll fit my groups
>>
>>51286823
2-6 is an awkward count, truly great 2p games generally aren't as good at higher counts, and there's not a lot of games balanced from 3-6. There was a pretty decent Dice Tower top 10 on games that scale well, that might be a place to start for you, just expect if you want to cover that large a player count, you might be better off with 2-3 really good games that don't fit every situation, vs one unicorn.

Also if you've already got TtR your first purchase should be either the 1910 expansion for better card shuffling, or Asia for team variant.
>>
bought snake oil for my cousin
now i wish i had something like that
any suggestions? was thinking of funemployed but i wanna know what else is out there in that same category... something thats just fun and creative but not super taxing... a party game i guess but not something as mindless as cards against humanity yet something that's not as mindful as lets say, once upon a time.
greatly appreciated c:
>>
>>51286162
caverna
>>
>>51286336
>>51286823
>>51286965
Wait, did you mean competitive as in not co-op, or competitive as in having a tourney scene? I assumed the latter.
>>
File: Maritans.png (678KB, 817x800px) Image search: [Google]
Maritans.png
678KB, 817x800px
What do fa/tg/uys think about First Martians? It's in preorder now, expencive as fuck. But I'm hyped for this.
>>
>>51286162
Euphoria
>>
>>51286316
New box, or unsleeve them. What other options are there?
>>
>>51287766
If I was going to buy a co-op this year, that would probably be it
>>
>>51286316
Take out the insert
>>
>>51286823
If you are looking for a "fighting" game, my recommendations are
2-5 players - Kemet, Cosmic (can be 6 with expansion)
2-6 players - Rex, a bit heavy and is really best played at 6 players.
3-7 players - Cutthroat Caverns is a great Take That game, you work together yet against each other. Lots of backstabs and fun to be had.
>>
>>51276022
hi guys, i am looking to get chaos in the old world, does it have any merits beyond the setting? Is the game actually fun? I have looked at the good reviews, but i thought you might have some more insight.
>>
>>51289215
Played it only once years ago, but it was enjoyable. Different strategies for different Chaos gods brings replayability. But don't take my word for it.
>>
File: image_7.jpg (20KB, 420x418px) Image search: [Google]
image_7.jpg
20KB, 420x418px
Do you sleeve your games?
>>
>>51289360
I don't have many games but yes, I recently actively looked for sleeves to fit my Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu game because we use it very often. I've been thinking about doing the same for Bang! but I'm growing disinterested in this game due to the elimination factor. The rest of my games either don't need those (glass chess game, dice game, etc.) or I haven't had the chance to use them often (like Descent which is almost brand new).

I'd go for transparent sleeves everytime because it's both cheaper, it keeps the spirit of the game and heavy to find/easy to replace a damaged sleeve.
The only occasion I'd use themed sleeves is for a TCG game like MTG but I gave up on this game quite long ago and am selling my cards.
>>
>>51289215
I had a chance of buying it new in shrink for 80$, I skipped it.

While it looks nice, I just cant overlook the dice combat.
>>
>>51289360

Yes, and I have a collection of over 200 games including many deckbuilders and fantasy flight sprawling messes of cards.

It's the bane of my existence, but I can't stop.
>>
>>51289215
i mean. are you ready to pay like 200 bucks?
>>
>>51289810
i found it for 50€.
>>
Quick question about Kemet.
When you decide what you are going to do in a turn, do you need to already have a single token on every row before you can put 2 in a row?
As in do I need to have
1 X
1 X X
1 X X X
Before I can put 2 tokens in a single row? or is the only requirement is when you finish the 5th turn you'll have a token in each row?

Can I put a token in the first row in my first and 2nd turn?
>>
>>51286162
Quartermaster General
>>
>>51289360
No, just the cards
>>
>>51289215
In my opinion, it's one of the best dudes-on-a-map games. Personally, I like the asymmetry being built-in form the start, unlike in Kemet or Blood Rage. The expansion improves it further, as it adds a fifth player and gives each god multiple feasible paths to victory.

>>51289558
Would you prefer card-based combat like in Kemet or Game of Thrones? I created a variant that does that, but none of my friends mind the dice so I haven't tested it. I can prove it's balanced on my own (in mean and variance of number of hits and in probability of getting at least one hit) but I can't test whether it's fun without playtesters:

Each player has four combat cards:
Murderous Swarm: +2 Attack if you have any Attack.
Reckless Carnage: +2 Attack if you have any Attack. One opponent with any attack power assigns +1 hit to you.
Lurking Shadows: -1 Attack. +1 Defense. (you have one HP that must be removed before hits can be assigned to your units)
Vile Hordes: (no effect)

When there's a combat, each player involved simultaneously reveals one of their combat cards. After modifications to their attack power, everyone assigns hits equal to their attack power/2, rounded down. After you use a combat card, you don't get it back until you've used all four of your cards.

Obviously, there's room to make this a full expansion with different cards for each god, but this small version works as a simple replacement for people who don't like the dice.
>>
might be weird. but what are good games that i can sleeve with swans. 57mm x 90mm sleeves. i bought 2 packs and they didnt fit for my game. so i might as well buy a new game based on card size.
>>
>>51290308
No, you only have to have a token on every row by the end of your last turn on a day.
>>
File: IM_SOORY_LINK_I_CANT_GIVE_CREDIT.png (310KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
IM_SOORY_LINK_I_CANT_GIVE_CREDIT.png
310KB, 1280x853px
>still deciding whether to sleeve millennium blades plus all the mini expansions or not and get ready before it comes out
>>
>>51291244
That's the size I bought for Space Hulk Death Angel if you don't have that one
>>
>>51291345

I couldn't imagine trying to keep the store deck upright with sleeves. I just tell my friends to be careful when we play - that game is a treasure.
>>
>>51291443
I was thinking about getting and using a card shoe instead of keeping it upright
>>
>>51289360
Only ones that I value highly or are out of print.

I have 100% of Thunderstone Advance and it is 100% sleeved.
>>
Anyone here who owns Capitan Sonar and can tell me the dimension of the boards? (the ones each person gets according to his role).
>>
>>51291418
yup, just sleeved it. still have 1 pack left. is saboteur a good game ?
>>
>>51291976
Did you have trouble getting to fit back in the box?

I haven't played saboteur in about 4 years but I remember that it was a fun and simple deduction game. Games are quick too so it only takes maybe 30-40 minutes to play. I think it's a good one to get
>>
I'm wanting to buy a LCG to learn and try out, what are some really good ones?
>>
>>51291946
Netrunner is really, really good. I think the best, certainly the most unique. Also probably the hardest to get into, massive cardpool at the moment, though a large chunk is about to rotate out of competitive play, which might make now/soon one of the easier points to jump in.

Conquest isn't as good or as unique, but it's very solid in it's own right if you're into the 40k theme. Move quickly if you want to get into this one though, it's dead in the water and may not get another reprint before it's gone for good.

Ashes is a pretty good twist on the MTG style and does some fun stuff with dice as resources, but a really slow release schedule, for better or worse.

Doomtown is probably in second place behind netrunner for most unique, but I don't like it quite as well. Also dead, so there's no upcoming releases - which both means it'll stay stagnant but that you won't have new releases to keep up with.

Epic is more or less an LCG that does a good job of being MTG on a cocaine/speed cocktail for cheap, excellent for drafting.

LOTR if you want co-op.
Arkham if you want fancier co-op.
>>
>>51287692
Competitive in the sense of it being no co-op
>>
>>51292508 (You)
Meant to respond to >>51292404

>>51291946
Player boards are 11 1/16" x 8 1/4"
>>
>>51292193
Yeah, Saboteur is a blast, but shit only starts to get real at 6+ players. It can be a tense family game or a shit-spewing beer and pretzels bonanza with drunk friends.
>>
>>51287766

Not pre-ordering for MSRP + shipping to euroland, will be picking it up on release though.
>>
>>51292508
>>51293004
Thanks STEEV. I know you hate co-ops but are LOTR and Arkham fun and well done games for someone who does enjoy co-ops? By Netrunner being hard to get into were you referring to just the massive cardpool or is the game also difficult to learn/teach?
>>
>>51293671
Netrunner's a LITTLE tricky to learn teach, but about half of that's just getting used to the terminology, which is thematically appropriate but a little unintuitive. The cardpool can be rough at first, but the list of really critical things to know about isn't really that long. Even at a casual competitive level just a vague idea of what kind of threats the other side might be able to present is usually sufficient to keep the match from being a surprise blowout because you didn't see something coming. Outside of really janky navel-gazing combo decks, of course.

I've only played a very small amount of LotR, but found it fairly unsatisfying - too much subversion of theme for a nominally thematic game.
I haven't played Arkham, but several friends with opinions I mostly trust think it's really, really good, and a huge improvement over LotR.
>>
>>51293777
>I've only played a very small amount of LotR, but found it fairly unsatisfying - too much subversion of theme for a nominally thematic game.

Yeah the Arkham Horror LCG improves hugely on this, it's super successful in delivering a cohesive thematic experience in my opinion. Great game.
>>
Thoughts on Imperial Assault vs Descent?
>>
>>51287584
But Wait There's More
>>
>>51292193
i can easily get it in. with an elastic band the lid even stays on.
>>
>>51276402

I played RAOV recently and while descent is just generally fun to play and it was great that the one friend that always gets stuck playing overlord was able to be a hero for once, the system is kind of easy to beat.

an example being in one encounter (archive of arrizon 2) a pack of archers spawned with basically a clear shot to the overlord objective (killing arrizon) but because of their programming they instead just took potshots at the hero group which was holding a choke point against an Ettin group.

A human overlord would have probably been able to bumrush the objective and won the encounter because of some poor preparation on the heroes part but the AI overlord couldn't.

Its still fun to play though, just not as exciting or depthful as having a human overlord.
>>
>>51291345
I'm never worried for Millennium Blades. You only shuffle once, and that you can all do yourself. Otherwise you're just drawing and holding cards, and I for the most part trust my friends with that.
>>
>>51294643
Same but different. Which flavor do you prefer?
>>
>>51296331
why is this game so expensive.
>>
>>51296412
It should be cheaper. Should be around 60-70. It just sold it is all. Everyone is waiting for the reprint to arrive, so scalpers are just selling it for like 200 on Amazon. The game will be back in stock middle of February.
>>
>>51296715
okay. i am guessing its an american focused market though?

and that the mini expansions wont be reprinted.
>>
File: 1483903027766.png (158KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1483903027766.png
158KB, 379x440px
>>51296331
I don't trust my friends or myself
Or cards
Or anything
I'm insane when it comes to sleeving I wish I could be normal
>>
>>51294643
They're pretty much the same idea from what I've heard. Take it how you want to but I believe shut up & sit down said that Star Wars improves the problems that descent had
>>
can somebody enlighten me on kemet? I just don't understand how people can like it. It seems to me without luck factor the game will become stale fast, way too fast.
I am not a hater, i am considering buying it and the overwhelmingly positive reactions of people make me think i am the onw in the wrong. Is it just an impression?
>>
>>51298151
A great deal of the appeal is that it has a lot of variety and longevity without leaning on luck or random elements.
>>
>>51298222
i considered that too, but the otpions dont seem nearly enough to make up for the lack of variance.I mean how many times can you play it before you know all the possible ways to build yourself?
>>
>>51298435
There's what, twenty tiles in each of four colors, and in a given game you'll probably get something like 6-8 of those? Permutates out to a shitload.
>>
>>51298435
>math is hard for me
no wonder you'd rather rely on random chance, retard
>>
>tfw so bored im organizing my games to sit sideways
>>
>>51298482

20 n taking 6 at a time is 38,760 combinations and 27,907,200 different permutations for each player

20 n taking 8 at a time is 125,970 combinations and 5,079,110,400 permutations

so even if there's an optimal strategy found, the re's quite a lot of possibilities
>>
>>51299054
how's it coming?
>>
>>51276610
Paging Mr STEEV.
>>
>>51299509
It's actually 80n, but with easy access to only 60n, and actually slightly less than that since there's some duplicates and you double up.
>>
>>51299577
yeah I don't know the precise tile distribution, was just following up on anon's thought
>>
File: everzone.png (1MB, 801x889px) Image search: [Google]
everzone.png
1MB, 801x889px
Has anyone played this yet? I saw a review of it and it looks pretty fun
>>
>>51299565
I'm sure my clever, eloquent, and original post will change the heats of many people.
>>
>>51297167
I understand that, but I learned to let go under some simple rules like only certain snacks allowed and keep the drinks on the side tables. Only one friends I keep my eye on now who once forgot to eat and came up to the table with a plate of pizza slices.
>>51296889
I'm not sure the international-ness of it. There's copies being shipped to Europe as well, and these include those mini expansions for the stores. I'm kinda curious though with the printing of this game. Usually I say if it sells well, it'll keep printing, but this sold well and they need a second kickstarter to print more. In any case, the mini expansions are pretty throwaway. For the most part, they just add way too much of something you'll get limited use of each game as is. Get ready for some statistics:

The core game comes with 6 characters. Set Rotation comes with 4 more. Mini expansions add 2 more. You'll use 1 per player a game.

The core game comes with 28 booster pack options. Set Rotation comes with 12 more. Mini expansions add 4. You'll use 12 a game.

Here's where the majority of the mini expansions are. Promotional packs. You have 10 by default. Set Rotation adds 9. Mini expansions add 28. You will use 5 a game.
>>
>>51301338
>but this sold well and they need a second kickstarter to print more.
>need
Risk free capital brah how does anyone turn that down.
>>
>>51301386
I suppose that's true. I doubt level 99 was going to not print more. Still, it took some time for this game to catch on. It's only as of late they started going mad outta stock everywhere. At least they're abusing kickstarter to make an expansion pack rather than to dump a load of exclusives.
>>
>>51297167
For now I'm only sleeping games I can't replace. Which so far entails Space Hulk Death Angel
>>
File: pic2308707.jpg (252KB, 728x804px) Image search: [Google]
pic2308707.jpg
252KB, 728x804px
Who /sde/ here?

After playing the base game several times I've decided to build a campaign since I'm a sad loser with too much cash who just can't seem to find a goddamn D&D campaign. Since it looks and plays like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance I'm gonna build a campaign that follows roughly these formats. Screw the three map minimum, it'll be several 1 and 2 map missions of fetch quests and "don't let the bloke die" quests before the occasional 3 tile quests.

I plan on making the BBEG/Dark Consul a sort of extraplanar Eldritch horror type fellow who summons enemy creeps through the spawn points, so that the spawn points can be converted into summoning crystals that let me dig into my figure collection and summon Charizard to Fire Blast the map.

Also vehicles like Airships and Caravans that can, using a separate meter system, deliver attacks on the map like aerial bombardments.
>>
File: 1460647085251.png (129KB, 315x283px) Image search: [Google]
1460647085251.png
129KB, 315x283px
>>51302778
Do you think millennium blades will still be getting print runs in three years?

>Tfw sleeved my copy of death angel as soon as I got it
As soon as the world ends I'll be able to sell it to a games workshop autist for mad capital!!!
>>
File: drop bears.jpg (33KB, 355x366px) Image search: [Google]
drop bears.jpg
33KB, 355x366px
What's up, /bgg/

Has anyone here ever played Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilisation?

My mates and I are going to be giving it a go for the first time tomorrow afternoon and I was just wondering if anyone here knows what we're in for.
>>
Anywhere I can bulk order some decent matte sleeves in the uk?
>>
>>51290432
How would you say Chaos in the old world holds up without the horned rat expansion?

I understand it adds a lot, specifically more ways to win which makes the game a whole lot better.
>>
File: IMG_8321.jpg (85KB, 625x374px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8321.jpg
85KB, 625x374px
>>51303203
>>
Should I geti Kemet: Ta-Seti?
>>
File: PB080018.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
PB080018.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>mfw Santorini is the real deal and now everyone in my community wants a copy of it
>local stores bought the hell out of the game when the kickstarter was still going on to resell at the equivalent of $68 right now
>almost sold out a day after they made the announcement they're in stock yesterday

Damn

And who would've thought it took a maths professor so many years to create a game so simple and fun.
>>
>>51307254
Yes, the fourth color alone is a huge improvement, and making people pick a color right from the start they can't get without raiding is just delicious. The initiative fix is solid, the additional combat card is. . . Probably good, I haven't decided on how much I like it so far. And the path to take seriously itself is the tiniest bit clumsy to operate, but adds some great decisions to normal play.

>>51307330
Right? Excellent game for how simple it is, and the ridiculous production doesn't hurt at all.
>>
>>51306310
Well I began with the premise of some young adventurers from a big guild in Crystalia journeying to Fae Woods to set up a chapter there, setting the campaign for the Forgotten King leg. That automaticaly led to the idea of a tutorial fight where you have to protect your Caravan from being destroyed, which opened up the concept of, in later missions, your transport vehicle being a support effect in battle.

This allows gold to be earned from quests so that you can have money to pay for upgrades, providing a little more utility than just potions and weapons which you can get from questing anyway.

Another idea that was born out of the ffta comparison is the need for unique victory conditions. For instance, at some point the town the guild is in gets assaulted by the Forgotten King's army, so they must help rebuild. Part of this is getting wood, so the party must buy axes which are a custom equipment that offers a 1 ranged Str attack roll from the blacksmith and kill X wooden minions with said axes. Non axe deaths don't count. Hopefully I can come up with more colorful concepts to add to the flavour of the base game itself.

As the game progresses new party members will join, which implies recruitment side quests and an avenue for players to role play with npc. It also provides the players the freedom to later cycle through different party members.

Unfortunately this won't be one of those more freeform dnd type quests with skill checks and personalized player characters due to the nature of side. Instead I'm taking reference from the fact that it stylizes itself off jrpgs to offer a tabletop jrpg experience with a more rigid narrative structure backed up by mini games.
>>
>>51307330
It's probably not so much that it took years to make, just that he finally had some time on his hands after retiring
>>
File: codexlogo.png (329KB, 640x363px) Image search: [Google]
codexlogo.png
329KB, 640x363px
Has anyone here played Codex? I've seen a few videos and it seems like a pretty fun/well made game, definitely something I would like to pick up. But I have that problem a lot of us do where if I was going to get it, I would want ALL of it and I'd splurge for that complete deluxe set. But if it's only an "ok" game I'd rather just pass entirely. I probably have a problem.
>>
>>51308798
ree sirlin, etc.
But yeah, I have the same issue of you, and can't tell if it'd be worth it.
>>
>>51309052
I know sirlin is pretty money hungry, but I still think the games are good. Yomi is a lot of fun, and definitely has a lot more weight to it than the mechanics initially would make you think. It's basically rock paper scissors but it's managed to keep me entertained well beyond that.

I should also add on that I'm wondering how it plays with more than 2 people, if that's even a thing.
>>
File: 1484271084664.png (786KB, 859x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484271084664.png
786KB, 859x720px
>>51302778
>>51304264
I sleeve every single game I own. Given how expensive games are, and how cheap they are to sleeve, there isn't any reason I shouldn't.
MB costs like $60, and about $4 to sleeve. It just makes sense.
>>
>>51309180
I'm deciding wether to sleeve arkham horror the lcg or not too, it seems like a no brainer but I dont like how much itll cost for some decent sleeves
>>
>>51309180
>$4 for 652 sleeves
Where is this magical place? Even literal penny sleeves would cost more than that.
>>
>>51309180
>Millennium Blades
>$4 to sleeve
What did you sleeve it with? The self loathing of buying four McChicken sandwiches at once?
>>
>>51310928
>>51311195
I gently iron on some plastic wrap
Simple.
And a roll will cover more than one game.
>>
File: XQYJ1bH.gif (283KB, 189x250px) Image search: [Google]
XQYJ1bH.gif
283KB, 189x250px
>>51311275
This... doesn't sound like a good idea.
>>
>>51305642
You're absolutely right. Without the expansion, Khorne can only win on the dial and Nurgle can only win on points. (Tzeentch and Slaanesh could win either way.) Also, there are obvious first choices in each player's upgrade cards. With the expansion, most gods could win either way* and all the upgrade cards are useful.

I would still play it if someone brought a copy without the expansion, but I'd definitely miss the extra options.

*I think Nurgle still needs a bit of help on the dial. Maybe remove one of his "remove corruption" dial spaces to make his dial a bit shorter?
>>
>>51310305

If sleeving Arkham I'd recommend just sleeving the cards in each player deck. Definitely will keep costs down.
>>
>>51304324
It's the best implementation of the civil video game on cardboard.

That means a long playtime, strategy and planning, careful resource management.

The empire's are a card tableaux, so although there military interaction it's abstract and frankly pretty limited.

Top tips: get Iron in age one, don't be the weakest military, snag your cultural techs in age2: you can't wait for age3.
>>
>>51311275
I can't tell if this is bait
>>
>>51311275
>I gently iron on some plastic wrap
>Simple.

Yeah... Pics or it didn't happen.

I've tried laminating cards with regular single sheet lamination pouches and it worked 'OK' but would be a lot of effort and expense to do for an entire game's worth of cards.
>>
>>51307330

It's a glorified Connect 4. Everyone just wants to fellate themselves for liking an abstract.
>>
>>51313280
>It's a glorified connect four.
Citation needed.
>>
>>51313453
I, uhhh, kinda get what he's saying? It's like the vaguest connection, but he's saying one of the general ways you setup a win is to create 2 victory points so he can't block them both?

The problem is taking that any further, Santorini has a lot of blocking and positioning of your workers, and that's not including the gods which are a HUGE part of the game.
>>
What's a game with good components that ISN'T just using that as an excuse for shallow bad gameplay?
>>
>>51313821
Splendor
Cosmic Encounter (Most Fantasy Flight games)
Inis
>>
>>51313856
>inis
Don't forget the other two of the Matagot myth trilogy
>>
>>51311559

Thanks bud.

We all love Civ on PC so that should be perfect.

Thanks for the tips too, these poor fuckers aren't gonna know what's hit them.
>>
>>51308323
The game itself is pretty old. It's just Roxley having picked it up and blinging the shit out of it.
>>
>>51313821
components as in what?
good art? good cards? lots of thicc chits? fancy dice? tons of plastic minis?
>>
>>51307330
Can someone tell me what makes this game so good?
>>
File: Warlords.jpg (391KB, 680x1860px) Image search: [Google]
Warlords.jpg
391KB, 680x1860px
>>51276022 (OP)
Does /tg/ think Hexpanse is worth the cost if I'm looking for a strategic game?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1385946864/hexpanse/description
>>
>>51317133
mite b cool
but instead of waiting 8 months for it theres a bunch of other hex based strategy games out there
>>
>>51299698
Bump
>>
>>51311195
>>51310928
Buy 'em in bulk. You can get 3000 for about $20 off ebay. I thought at first I bought too many, but I went through them pretty quickly.
Ok well it comes out to $5 but it's close enough.
>>
>>51319003
Problem is I hate penny sleeves. Feels like cheep off-brand crinkly sandwich bag material.That and the fact that they do NOT fit standard card very well at all.

Just makes your game looks chintzy to me.
>>
>>51319126
I would go for penny sleeves but you can't mash shuffle them and that's almost the entire reason I use sleeves.
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg (810KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg
810KB, 2048x1536px
>>51276022
>Dudes on a map and wargames, what's your best?

Pic related - old school SPI 'War of the Ring'. People bitch about TI3 taking 'all day'. (Bunch of pussies...) WotR games could span several full weekends or be played a few hours at a time for long stretches.

> Worst?

Battleship?

> Is STEEV right that pushing carboard HoN and 2 dice is better than the buckets from Memoir '44?

Of course STEEV is right. The artwork alone makes HoN a worthy investment. The fact that it doesn't require ASL levels of autism to play is the frosting on the cake.
>>
>>51321536
Sorry but what's HoN?
>>
>>51276022
>Dudes on a map and wargames, what's your best?
Of the ones I've tried, Triumph&Tragedy, no question.

>>51322114
Heroes of Normandie
>>
>>51313821
Hive. Love me some chunky bakelite pieces.

Ortus Regnis. There is somethign about having cards with zero text/icons on them, that really makes them pop. Was sleeving the base set+ expansion, and I couldn't help but stop every once in a while and wonder why the cards looked so large (they are just regular playing card size).

>>51289360
Depends on the game FFG tiny cards are expensive to sleeve when i have hundreds of them, other odd shaped cards like Summoner Wars have overpriced sleeve packs that do not come in bulk. I hate that fact, have everything but the last 8 faction packs (just over 1k cards), and none of the are sleeves as I might as well buy the last wave of expansions for that much money.

Still, spent way too much money on card sleeves for what IS easy to protect. Might as well have bought a bunch more games with that dough. Also, it sucks when suddenly the box insert is useless when extra thickness is added (looking at you, 7 Wonders and Ortus Regni).
>>
Heads up to all the Cosmic Encounter fans out here, Cosmic Incursion just finished a print run and is being shipped from the FFG warehouses, should be in stores in 7-10 days according to them.
>>
File: mageknight.jpg (15KB, 250x178px) Image search: [Google]
mageknight.jpg
15KB, 250x178px
This is great solo game?
>>
>>51317248
Any suggestions? I'm not married to the idea of hexes, but want a solid strategy game that doesn't take forever and a day to set up.
>>
>spirit of harambe minor faction
abort
eject
abort
>>
File: pic3112623.jpg (628KB, 1203x837px) Image search: [Google]
pic3112623.jpg
628KB, 1203x837px
Thoughts? I'm thinking about picking this up...
>>
>>51323702
Yeah. I initially backed for a game, but the more I look at the game, the less appealing it is.
>>
File: gAR9unk.gif (3MB, 605x325px) Image search: [Google]
gAR9unk.gif
3MB, 605x325px
>>51323702
>Just found out about this game
>See the latest update
>>
>>51325448
What's the game?
>>
>>51325681
>>51317117
>>
>>51325862
>Deleted post
>>
>>51325862
>>51326061
The game is Hexcape
>>
>>51325862
>>51325681
>>51317133
Hexscape
>>
>>51326228
Are the devs even competent? This update is written horribly
>>
>>51276077

>fpbp
>dubs

Confirmed for undeniable truth.
>>
>>51289360

I recently picked up Legendary Predator and Big Trouble in Little China on sale and I want to sleeve them but I also don't want to spend almost as much as I paid for the games on sleeves.
>>
>>51326738
That's going to be around 40 bucks to sleeve that whole game
>>
What's your most played game?

Ours is Race for the Galaxy, I play it single and with my son.
>>
>>51326980

It's closer to 60 which is just shy of what I paid for them.
>>
>>51327004
Either carcasonne or seasons
>>
File: Screenshot_20170120-192604.png (142KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170120-192604.png
142KB, 1080x1920px
>>51327004
For my girlfriend and I, Race for the Galaxy.

With my regular group, Arkham Horror

But I really wish I could say BattleCON was.
>>
>>51329481
>But I really wish I could say BattleCON was.
Don't be too jealous. It's my most played and I love playing it. I just wish I could convince more people to give it a try. There's only one other person I've gotten into it, a girl at my FLGS who fucking loves it and will play it with me all the time. It would help if she wasn't 19 going on 12, a horrifically socially inept weaboo who makes constant Naruto references. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>51327004

Battlestar Galactica. Played it once a week, every week, for about 3 years.
>>
>>51326449
KDM guy is nearly illiterate and the game is amazing
>>
>>51329598
She hot?
>>
>>51329839
Fuck no.

Also, I already have a girlfriend, but she tried Battlecon and it's not her kind of game. She's more of a Captain Sonar fan, which is fine with me but much harder to get on the table.
>>
File: cry havoc.jpg (593KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
cry havoc.jpg
593KB, 1417x1417px
Can anyone tell me if cry havoc is good? It just looks so sexy

>>51323380
Yes
>>
>>51330314
There was a ton of hype leading up to release, and a fair amount afterwards, tempered by some at least partially valid complaints about some balance problems.

The "Every game you like is bad" guy isn't a fan, finds the action system and game length too restrictive and the races a little pigeonholed.
I think the last point has some merit, but I haven't gotten enough plays in to usefully comment on the balance, but I haven't had any serious problems so far.

The upcoming expansion seems to be primarily aimed at giving some more breadth to the races by giving them more structures and abilities to choose between, which should help, but probably still won't give a lot of room to change strategy after the game starts.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say it's got some fantastic ideas but has problems that dull them a bit. I wouldn't take it over Kemet or Mare Nostrum, but I don't think it's a bad purchase. At least not so far.
>>
Why are we so dead?
>>
>>51332489
People actually playing games this weekend.

>>51327004
With Wife: Galaxy Trucker and Neuroshima Hex! She has the aps for both, and has gotten so good at them I will make a move and she will snicker or shake her head in disappointment if it was weak sauce.

On the not app side with her, innovation and valley of the kings.

With friends, sadly it is codenames and for sale. Great games; I just wish we only invited two or three people more often so things like TI3, Mare Nostrum, Chaos, and Cosmic would actually get some love.
>>
did the FFG warhammer board games get a reprint even when they lost the warhammer license?

i dont really look at board game news that often but I noticed that Forbidden Stars is like $50-60 in some places. I remember that skyrocketing to like $120+ a few months ago and it was pretty much sold out in most online retailers.

what happened?
>>
>>51334539
There was quite a lot of bitching between GW and FFG. Rumors spread by an FFG employee say that GW wasn't too pleased with them encroaching on their market space via the Rune Wars miniatures and so pulled their licences for every game and rpg that FFG has done.
In the end, shrugs were had on FFG's side, as they have their Star Wars stuff practically printing infinite money with every new game.

>tl;dr No, they will not get a reprint. GW is being bitchy

On that note, has anyone played the Relic expansions? I snagged both of them for 30€ a piece last week.
>>
>>51335193
I hate that no game has straight-up replaced CitOW yet
>>
Hi /bgg/
Tomorrow I receive the final expansions missing from my collection for Eldritch Horror.
How long should I wait before starting Madness Mode (every AE one after the other)
>>
>>51317121
Quick to play abstract strategy that works pretty well vanilla and really well introducing unique character powers. It's the kinda game where I break it out and end up playing it 5 times before packing it up. Plus it looks pretty as hell.
>>
>>51311559
I heard that in the first edition going full military was overpowered.

I only played one game, though so can't comment. Being able to put in colony cards and snagging them seems very powerful, but the one game we had was very mellow on the military (one attack, one war both unsuccessful).

Definitely a cool game and I can't why people here don't talk about it more often.
>>
>>51337567
Hype's died down, cult-of-the-new has forgotten about it, and long, involved civ games are a very small niche. It's too heavy and too long for casuals, clunky, fiddly and lacks innovation to become a classic. None of this means it's a bad game, though, just that it's not for everyone, and the people who enjoy it are no longer talking about it that much.
>>
>>51338301
What's the classic huge clunky civ game?
>>
Inis or cosmic encounter?
>>
>>51338457
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184424/mega-civilization
>>
>>51338528
CE. Inis will be forgotten by next year.
>>
>>51338568
Hopefully so will CE.
>>
File: 18player-version-of-Civilization.jpg (1022KB, 1024x864px) Image search: [Google]
18player-version-of-Civilization.jpg
1022KB, 1024x864px
>>51338534
Pic related.
>>
>>51338586
Good luck with that.
It's still better intro material than Catan.
>>
>>51338586
Well it's been around for 40 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to just go away.
Staying power right there.
>>
>>51338586
It's been around since '79 or so.
Don't hold your breath
>>
>>51338702
>>51338610
>>51338723
Well monopoly has been around for a fucking hundred years and it's still shit.
>>
>>51338602
I'll never get to play Civilization with anyone, let alone with 18 people.
>>
>>51338812
CE is an objectively good game and that you don't think so is making me suspicious of your sincerity in other respects
>>
>>51338835
Not debating whether CE's good or bad, I was just making the point that quality and longevity do not necessarily correlate
>>
>>51338826

I got to play it with 10, by the end of the night I had a headache and was super sensitive to any motion or load noise. The mind wasn't meant to concentrate that hard for that long.

On the up side i won, As Syria I cut off Babylons expansion and forced him back into his flood plains just as a flood hit.
I had a empty player slot(very small) to my right, and the actual player to my right crossed over from Italy and got in my grill, but was too scared of the warmongers in Europe to push against me too hard.

I spent most of the game trading a couple cities back and forth with Baby but overall having just a little more than everyone else. A few amazing trades later...
>>
>>51338826
>18 people
That game would take forever to play
>>
>>51338835
>CE is an objectively good game
I'm afraid you are so wrong it's not even funny. I think you'll find that CE is demonstrably an objectively shit game.
>>
>>51339252
I find the "CE is just Munchkin" Crowd can usually be mollified by removing all the "zap" cards from the decks.
>>
>>51339384
Well sure, if you took out the garbage and put in some good mechanics and maybe a game or two then it wouldn't be a turd.
>>
File: RepOfRome.png (652KB, 584x436px) Image search: [Google]
RepOfRome.png
652KB, 584x436px
Anyone ever played Republic of Rome? Snagged a used copy really cheap, and looking through the rules it seems like I made a good deal - This game was basically made for me and my friends
>>
>>51339384
I find that you can mollify them by saying "it's not for you"

I mean, it's not an amazing game, but if you get the right crowd it's great fun. I think it's better for roleplayers than board gamers really
>>
>>51339635
>if you get the right crowd it's great fun
Oh boy it's the "don't worry, this game can be fun if you play with your fun group of funny friends who are fun" argument.
>>
>>51340170
No. You don't get to assume my argument.

My argument is that people with the right disposition to play makes it a superior experience than simply "hanging out". For Cosmic Encounter specifically I'm referring to people with a disposition towards immersion and oratory, rather than people with a disposition towards strategy and abstract calculation.
>>
>>51340368
Yes I get to assume your argument because it's the same fallacious tired dross we've all heard time and time again.
>>
>>51340695
How is it fallacious?
>>
>>51340695
>>51340773
I don't know why you bother, one of you is arguing whether the game is fun or not and the other is arguing whether the game has serious design flaws or not. These are not equatable scales.
>>
>>51340368
How is Cosmic fun? In every game, there's one guy the table has to collude to keep someone from using their power because it is too powerful and/or enables steamrolling (such as powers like having multiple encounters, keeping discarded cards, or swapping hands).

Then, during your turn, you're told where to go despite it being a stupid option because another player is leading or you're leading and need to kill someone's power to keep ahead.

People say it is like Munchkin because it is. It's a long if the hill game where the second person to threaten winning wins because everyone blows their load on the first faggot.
>>
>>51341915
All of this is true if alliances weren't a thing and all anyone did was go for solo victories. While I encourage it if the opportunity is right, if you think you can't win because everyone will gang up on you, then you need to call some allies. And what keeps the player after you from winning if you just failed to solo win with everyone teaming up on you is defender rewards which boosts the hands of everyone they needed to defend. If you rushed that far ahead and you have no allies to call, then you have a big self made problem.

As for the comments about the people you play it with, its not a matter of Red Dragon Inn where people tell me I just need to find the card names funny, it's a matter of people not realizing what's horribly sub optimal and king making. Like people only panicing at 4 instead of at 3 or calling all allies when there's one person who really shouldn't be invited because he's ahead. It's just easy for someone who doesn't care that much to ruin it for everyone else.

Also what separates this from munchkin is you actually make desicions in this game and it still manages to end an hour earlier. Take that is not inherently bad, it's just similar to bluffing, you can't build an entire game around just that. You need grander mechanics and ways to mitigate it.
>>
All this Cosmic hate.
Let me add a bit, while yes, there is some luck and some kingmaking, if you play it smart and aim to push the focus on someone else, usually with words or early alliances, you can easily secure a good place near the top with little to no heat.

You have smart hand management - what to use and when, should I burn my strong cards, do I need to suck up to someone so I can def and get some fucking cards so I don't toss my race card when I run out of cards.

Smart use of ships, should I spread so thin? do I mind losing some cards?

Yea there is a lot of luck, yea there is king making, but if you play smart and play around that, you will see the strategy in the game.

This isn't a dry Euro, you have luck of the draw, you have hidden information, you have lots of negotiations and bluffing, if you aren't into that dont play the game.
>>
Cosmic Encounter vs Small World vs Stone Age
Which should I buy
>>
>>51343716
Stone Age is the only one with real choices to be made.
>>
>>51343716

I like all three.

C.E. if you have a highly interactive, social group
Small World if you want something light that scratches that "risk" itch
Stone Age if you want a comfy worker placement game that everybody can pick up and play.
>>
>>51343834
now if only it didnt cost an arm and a leg
>>
>>51343532
>This isn't a dry Euro, you have luck of the draw, you have hidden information, you have lots of negotiations and bluffing
Because euros can have none of those at all while also being an actually good game.
>>
alien frontier.
yay or nay ?

the kickstarter is ending in 11 days.

also are the expansions worth it ?
>>
>>51344109
>comfy
when you add the expansion it becomes cutthroat as fuck.

also people get pissed i always lap everyone else because i switch what i collect when i see a better option. where other people just stick with their 1 thing.
>>
>>51338975
60% of the game is simultaneous play, and 30% of the remainder you can resolve multiple people at a time so long as whoever's in charge is good at juggling multiple balls at once.

18 people still takes a whole weekend to play
>>
Any other game like Mage Wars? I mean something that gives more control to the players on their units/spells/equipment even tho the damage output is still decided by dice.
>>
>>51345474
Mage Wars Academy
It is Mage Wars Arena "lite"
>>
>>51344905
i was thinking about backing it fully for 150 bucks and just get everything. not sure if the faction and expansion packs are worth it though.
>>
>>51345729
I think I should've said "something outside of the MW family"
>>
>>51345474
Codex has some similarities.
>>
>>51346103
how so? I mean isn't that game like wants to act like a RTS?
>>
>>51346194
I was assuming he meant 'control' as in the open spellbook that Mage Wars has.
>>
sup fa/tg/uys!

So i've collected a good amount of games now, and im trying to fill in some gaps... I notice that options are super limited when it comes to simple rules for newbies who aren't really gamers

Any suggestions?

now I'll list a few games i assume would be good suggestions however, I already own them!
these games are:
carcassonne
king of tokyo
biblios
karuba
codenames
dixit

What I'm looking for is something like biblios; it takes 5 minutes or less to explain how to play, yet it takes some clever decisions to win. its not necessarily a gamers game i guess but it isn't completely on autopilot or up to luck. I dont mind if there are great party games to recommend but im not particularly going for that.

a few that i've got in mind:
zany penguins
jungle speed
telestrations

not looking for opinions on what i have already listed in this post, just providing those lists in order to give an idea of what i'm interested in as well as what to actually not suggest

I'd like something that can handle 4 players, whether thats the max or not is not a big deal.

Thanks in advance my fellow gamers!
>>
>>51346520
kwatro
king domino
no thanks
dominion
stone age
>>
>>51346633
>kwatro
>king domino
>no thanks
>dominion
>stone age

Thanks for the suggestions friend!

kwatro is the only one of those which i have not yet looked into haha
>>
>>51346682
technically speaking. isle of skye is a pretty easy and fast game.
>>
>>51346682
I'd suggest For Sale for quick rules but requires outsmarting your competition rather than luck. Survive too, though that does have a bit of luck, and requires all players be ok with murdering each other starting on turn 1.
>>
File: alien frontiers.jpg (343KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
alien frontiers.jpg
343KB, 644x644px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-frontiers-relaunch

You goin for it?
>>
>>51344423
I wish you would put on a trip so I could filter your salty, fun-hating cuntiness.
>>
>>51347990
looks like a good game but i hate waiting
>>
>>51347990
Why do the best dice placement games have to be produced by asshole publishers?
>>
>>51348472
Agreed. I've played A.F. and enjoyed it - the app is very nice. But I've got Roll for the Galaxy, and Quantum is another dice placement that's also good. So I'm disinclined to buy from Games Pollute.
>>
>>51348520
Well and Kingsburg is FFG, Dice City is AEG, no matter which way you go there's someone else who's shitty to people who just want to give them money. Been looking into Roll Player, which seems like it'd work really well for my group, but it's out of print everywhere.
>>
File: 1468301384073.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1468301384073.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
>Level 99 Games no longer ships to anywhere but burgerland/Canada

fucking why
>>
>>51348721
Executive order, Trump signed it last night. Board games will make America great again and you can't have any.
>>
>>51348766
b-but I have 3/4 of my board game shelf filled, all I want is to play a weeb TCG simulator card game and support Lvl99 by buying from them directly

I guess it's a sign that I probably should restrain myself for now given that my job has downsized a third of the staff and it's not clear at this point if the business will still be running in a few months
>>
File: No Rationality.jpg (122KB, 768x624px) Image search: [Google]
No Rationality.jpg
122KB, 768x624px
>>51348985
>I guess it's a sign that I probably should restrain myself for now
>>
>>51347990
>Londonderry, NH
Ooh! So that's why my FLGS has every single component for this game. The devs are like an hour away!
>>
>>51348766
>buy American and hire American
>no more cheap Chinese plastics for miniatures
Well FFG is going to charge $45 per X-wing/Armada pack, and $200 for a board game, but I guess it also kills all the kickstarter companies too, so that's good.
>>
>>51349178
>but I guess it also kills all the kickstarter companies too, so that's good.
Stanemeier, Kingdom Death, Level 99, Mindclash Games, and NSKN are all great though.
>>
>>51349178
>all this salt
lmao
>>
>>51349280
Not really salty, kickstarter's actually pretty useful, but not sure it's helping the hobby. FFG produces beautiful games, but they have disdain for the bargain shopper. Neither really affects me anyways since I only buy new games 2-3 times a year when there's conventions and fire sales. The only thing that'd really piss me off if Trump screwed with gaming is I'd have to give money to that Gamescience guy for dice, since chessex is produced in Germany.
>>
>>51349410
>chessex
American dice are the best dice, beautiful dice. With them you'll be winning like you wouldn't believe. German dice are overrated, so, so bad.
If they want to sell dice in America, pay big imports tax, or leave!
>>
>>51349410
>but not sure it's helping the hobby.
You're a goof.
>>
What with people and their hatred for dies?
>>
>>51349039
you're right, I should continue figuring out which 18xx game I should buy to dip my toes into pure unadulterated autism

currently scoping out 1846 and 1889 in particular, any particular recommendations /bgg/? would prefer to keep it at 4 hours max for regular playtime
>>
>>51349861
>>51348985
resTRAIN yourself
get it?
get it?

I'll show myself out.
>>
>>51349781
>disagree with someone enough to post about it
>call them a goof
/bgg/ confirmed friendliest place on the chan
>>
File: 1481991230207.jpg (133KB, 629x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481991230207.jpg
133KB, 629x800px
>>51349909
kek

though seriously still would like to know about lighter 18xx recommendations in general
>>
File: 1484921271645.png (323KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484921271645.png
323KB, 900x900px
>>51349691
>you'll be winning like you wouldn't believe.
You're right anon, I lost the faith for a moment, all those pretty color combinations blinded me to the fact I wouldn't be winning.

>>51349963
It's ok he just doesn't realize China is ripping us off in kickstarter trade.
>>
>>51349992
Chicago Express
>>
>>51350028
>China is ripping us off in kickstarter trade
Fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>51349410
>they have disdain for the bargain shopper.

No, "they have disdain for customers who expect value for money now." thanks to a bunch of french chuckle-fuck bankers.
>>
File: pic3257988_lg.jpg (329KB, 905x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic3257988_lg.jpg
329KB, 905x1024px
>5-8 players
>Werewolf mechanics requiring lots of cover noise
>moderator needed
Fuck you Cryptozoic, must you ruin every good thing from my childhood?
>>
>>51346995
Thanks for the auggestion! Already own that one but you're totally right

>>51347622
Thank you! I have for sale and its definitley works for what im asking about. Survive However is one i have heard of but dont know much about, will surely look into it soon, thanks again! :D

I know i already mentioned this but biblios is really the epitome of what i want. So easy to explain and teach yet its got this depth to it.

Anyways, on a side note, has anybody here played kanagawa?
>>
File: download.jpg (18KB, 243x208px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18KB, 243x208px
Guys what do you think about Jungle Speed?
I've seen the game played before, and it seems like a fun niche game to play while you wait for someone to show up.

Does the novelty wear off pretty fast? or is it a game that lasts?
I found a german version going for ~20$, is it a good price?
>>
You backing spinagogue goy?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (35KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
35KB, 300x297px
>>51354180
This is the German version, whats different about it?
The game itself isn't language dependent right?
>>
>>51354749
>being so /pol/ your phone autocorrects guy to goy
>>
>>51354180
With a group of people who like the pseudo-panic of going fast, it's really fun. Maybe only for about 20-30 mins at a time, but I've had good times with it. $20 sounds ok I think.
>>
File: marco polo.png (136KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
136KB, 212x300px
>>51348472
Alien Frontiers is a fine game but in no way would I say it's among the best dice placement games. If you are interested in getting a really great dice placement game you should check out pic related. We already got a couple dozen plays in and we still love it and play it all the time, and I'd also say it's one of the best game in my entire collection.
>>
>>51354806
No it was intentional.
>>
>>51347990
i just backed KD:M and if i back this i dont know if i could "not" back everything instead of just the base game.
>>
>>51354890
Ah, okay.
I'm not Jewish so I don't really have a use for Dreidels: The Beybladesening
>>
>>51345282
> simultaneous play

Any other games with this mechanism? I always thought it was underused and you could streamline a lot of games better when you'd have simultaneous play with some clever "conflict resolution"
>>
File: medioevo universalis.jpg (314KB, 1034x1086px) Image search: [Google]
medioevo universalis.jpg
314KB, 1034x1086px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166119889/medioevo-universalis/

Does this have potential?
>>
>>51354983
Is this DEUS VULT: The Game?
>>
>>51354983
>another plastics pusher

There should be a special place for anyone who tries to "develop" one of these "games", maybe the bottom of a lake or the inside of an oven.
>>
>>51355063
The base game uses tiles. You can replace them with plastic for $117. Not worth it imo but 479 people seem to think so.
>>
>>51355063
How else would you design and produce such a game? For some games you just need tons of plastic for tons of figures. Unless you wanna resort to cardboard tokens or chits which isn't really cinematic and doesn't feel half as good as seeing your army in the form of nice looking 3D figures.
>>
>>51355135
see
>>51355132
>>
>>51355135
>How else would you design and produce such a game

I would use time spent fagging about shoving plastic down peoples throats to actually design a good game instead of something that is going to end up delayed by at least a year and if it ever does eventually deliver will be yet another trash dice chucker that will be instantly forgotten except by butt-hurt buyer remorsers.
>>
>>51355188
>implying you can design a game
>>
>>51349410
>kickstarter's actually pretty useful, but not sure it's helping the hobby
I own 8 games that came from kickstarter and only Blood Rage among them had any kind of kickstarter bullshit going on. That thankfully small part of Blood Rage aside, I love all of them and I didn't even back any of the kickstarter.
>>
>>51354983
Please be Team vs Team.
>>
File: 1474696220687.jpg (21KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
1474696220687.jpg
21KB, 352x352px
>>51355324
No I've read the description. It's not
>>
>>51354983
>up to 9 players
>appear to portray 10 playing stations
>>
>>51356537
>tfw one of the "stretch goals" is the tenth player.
>>
>>51356634
>10th player is a stretch goal
lul
Seriously though this "stretch goal" shit is getting out of hand.

Some kickstarters have stupid shit for the first 100K like thicker cards and thicker boxes and better paper for the rule book.

As if they wouldn't reach that goal they'd print out everything on plain paper, who are you kidding, if you have nothing to offer don't.
>>
>>51356634
Why do games do this? Expansions/extras just to add one, two people more to the game that are uneccisary.

You can just makeup house rules if needed and want to add more people. Most of the time you wont have to do anything more then ask someone to pull up a chair.
>>
>>51356634
KS notes said the designer's early versions played up to 12, his group used to be very large and tight.
>>
>>51354860
This melanin rich fellow knows what's up.
>>
>>51354860
Torn between this and Bora Bora, since I generally enjoy Feld games. Would you recommend oen over the other?
>>
>>51357060
Bora Bora
Marco Polo is just another pretender game.
>>
>>51357060
Personally I prefer the mechanics of Marco Polo and the player powers make every game really interesting and fun but both games are very good. I suggest you watch plenty of gameplay and playthrough videos of both and then decide.
>>
How is Dungeon Fighter? Sounds like a good party game. How many players is best?
>>
>>51322174
What are your thoughts on Triumph? Looking at buying it. It's either that or Churchill. Maybe both
>>
>>51357207
>Marco Polo is just another pretender game.
woot? Marco Polo is great!
>>
>>51357562
Depending on the player power you get and your starting bonus locations, you can lose the game before you've even started.
>>
>>51357576
That is nonsense. It sounds more like you just aren't particularly good at the game.
>>
>>51357576
Your bonus location cards can be largely ignored and you can still win the game focusing on contracts
>>
>>51357599
Get the fuck out right now you worthless fucking shitter.
>>
>>51357466
3 tends to be best so no one has to sit out a round when you've only got standard dice; just make sure if you're going to play you've got a couple feet space around the table, sometimes you'll need/want to step back to make a throw.
>>
>>51357617
Not if other people have ones which tie together well and their bonus abilities helps, no, 21 points cannot just be ignored.
>>
>>51357721
Your opinion about the game?
>>
>>51357765
The first time I played it was at a con when our table was too close to others, and we had 4, so we always had someone left out each round (my nephew had a good hero after a couple of pieces of loot so he always threw, and often had 2/3 dice) which felt meh (6.25/10). I got another chance to play with 2, and it felt a lot better when you're involved the whole time, but still felt like it wasn't quite there (7.3/10). The expansions are supposed to add a lot, so maybe that'd take it to an 8/10 for me, but it could also be that I don't really see the need for it in my collection, it's not a real dungeon crawl, and I've already got lots of dexterity games. I'd still play it anytime someone asked, assuming I wasn't the 4th.

Some of the trick shots are also near impossible so may require house-ruling (step back + blow off hand for smokers = impossible).
>>
>>51357763
That's like 2 or 3 additional contracts, plus the 7 point bonus for having the most contracts, hardly insurmountable.
>>
>>51357924
because other players, now they have the advantage in starting randomness, will just completely forgo doing contracts, yup won't even touch them.
>>
>>51358116
They won't ignore them, but a good chunk of the resources they have to spend on traveling can be used by you to complete more contracts than them.
>>
>>51358246
Except travelling in itself often rewards those resources back, either as first explorer rewards, recurring income or locations that you can activate which have greater results than the standard actions.
>>
>>51276077
Who cares? I don't play it for the theme.

/bgg/ I need your help. You guys are hte only ones who can do it. Some months ago I stumbled about some "project" which had artwork published on Fagbook. The artwork was amazing, it was pictures of this eerie forest with fantastical creatures and the particularity that everything seemed to be speckled with gold, both plants and beasts, I think I remmeber one animal in particular had horns and hooves of gold. It was pretty clear that whatever it was, it was going to be fantasy, but the only link provided directed to an empty site, which I didn't bookmark like a moron.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
>>
>>51299698
>>51317719
Horrendous. It's derivative shit that tries so hard to be something cool and different and it really is not. So the Zerg are a bit less insectoids and the Protoss are robots, big fucking deal.
Where it fails spectacularly, though, it's mechanically. It has cards that can be played, some cards in play have triggered abilities, some cards in hand are reactions to played cards. Kinda like what happens in Magic. And just like what happens in Magic, the last card played solves first.
So who is forced to play first and who gets to play last?
No one. This game has no sort of priority system. Players are supposed to just stare at each other until someone drops the first card or declares the first activation. Then the other player can cherrypick a direct counter and completely shaft the player who decidedto play first just so they could both get on with their lives. There's no rules for when a playing "window" should close either. It's when both players agre that they are satisfied with the board state like gentlemen.
When asked about this apparent oversight the author said it was intentional and he liked the idea of players staring at each other, cards in hand, like gunslingers. I don't know if he was just covering his ass...
Anyway, I don't think it did any good on the market. Expansion never and I am not planning on losing any sleep over that either.
Are you italian, anon?
>>
>>51292508
Yo STEEV
How dead is Ashes in your opinion on a scale of "not at all" to "like the fucking dinosaurs"?
The release schedule is not slow, it seems to have compeltely paralyzed. The 4-deck box was supposed to come out in Q4 2017. Not only we have yet to hear anything about it, but there's rumors it won't even be released as a box but as 2 decks and another 2 at a later date. When asked about that, or the rules update we've been waiting for since July, all PHG has to say is "Soon! Have patience!" and it's been the only answer we got since October.
Could have been acquired by Asmodee really have fucked up their schedule so much? It seems unbelievable to me...
>>
File: 1458347383716.jpg (213KB, 1600x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1458347383716.jpg
213KB, 1600x1584px
I figure most of you all probably have a dedicated group. I'm new to my area and would like to meet/join one however the bgg guilds and meet ups are like 45 minutes away and Craigslist is a bust. So how did/do you all meet your groups.
>>
>>51358921
I'm wedged way too far up the asscrack of potatoland to have any kind of useful first hand knowledge of the game's health. There's like two people in my town that play it that I know of, and they seem pretty depressed about the state of things.
But yeah, it looks like an incredible train wreck online. No news is not good news in this business.
>>
>>51358994
>>51358921
After a while with no product, people will jsut start spending their money on other stuff. We nerds just want shiny things, soon, now. And there's a lot of companies willing to sell them to us.
Where is potatoland? I love potatoes!
>>51358986
Can't help you there bud, I've been in the hobby since I was 14, always have been part of a club for it and almost all of my friends and acquaitances game, though not all are nerdcore. Try looking for an appropriate facebook page?
>>
File: Idaho-PotatoMuseum1_2560.jpg (1MB, 2560x1826px) Image search: [Google]
Idaho-PotatoMuseum1_2560.jpg
1MB, 2560x1826px
>>51359049
>Where is potatoland?
>>
>>51359269
Potatoland shouldn't be Ireland?
>>
>>51359312
Don't ask me, I just play board games here.
>>
>>51359312
Potatoes most likely originated in south america. They were introduced to Europe as an easy to grow, hard to kill crop. They took off so well in Ireland because at the time Ireland was an absolute shithole filled to the brim with poor, starving people. So the potato was an easy and cheep way to feed them.
>>
>>51348985
If you're European and have a game store, it'll likely arrive there with the mid February shipment.
>>
>>51359269
My God Man! That pic! It's like people in Idaho have no idea what mountains really look like...

Speaking of 'Wack' stories - the parking garage outside of the Dayton (Ohio) International Air Port has lovely colored glass plates of aviation related drawings from local elementary school aged children built into the stair cases. Pictures include jets, World War II fighter planes in action, etc. And a lovingly hand rendered drawing of the Hindenburg going down in flames. Yes, that's right. One of the most well known disasters in modern aviation history is pictured there in the parking garage to comfort passengers about to board their flights. I laugh every time I see it too.
>>
Fresh bread
>>51360392
>>51360392
>>
>>51359269
>insert latvian joke here
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.