[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do with a veteran player who's shitting up your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1484618358204.jpg (153KB, 1000x745px) Image search: [Google]
1484618358204.jpg
153KB, 1000x745px
What do you do with a veteran player who's shitting up your game, /tg/? One of my players has min/maxed the shit out of his sorcerer to bluff his way out of any social challenge, fireball/magic missile anything that moves, and is generally crashing my game with no survivors. What do?
>mfw he DMs my game for me
>>
>>51270503
Talk to him like an adult?

Take him aside and ask him what's up

Is there something wrong with your dming? Would he rather be playing a different style game? Is he just blowing of steam because he's usually forever DM? Is there a way you can sort things out so he can enjoy it and you don't get your game ruined?

One would assume as a DM himself he would understand
>>
>>51270503
How do you bluff your way out of any social challenge? How is that even possible.

What the fuck are his modifiers?
>>
>>51270503
passive-aggressively slight him though the game at every opportunity.
>>
>>51270555
He's conscientious of the fact that he's getting a lot of screen-time, but he can't help himself. The other players are getting bored of his antics and wild tangents to go do cool sorcerer shit that I have to improv. I don't want to hurt his feelings, because he really is a good player, I'm just looking for a way to ask him to settle down, or some way to hamper his ability to be the main character in the group's campaign.
>>51270588
max ranks in bluff is +9, +3 Cha modifier, +2 for Persuasive, +3 for snake familiar
>>
>>51270790
That's +17 total. Meaning he has to roll a 13+ to pass "near impossible" checks, which means he's failing more often than succeeding. Let alone the fact that anything that's logically impossible is still just that, impossible.

This isn't hard to Dm Around.
>>
>>51270901
Ok, I guess I've been setting my bar for "near impossible" checks a little too high. I think I'm going to have to make all of my social challenges a bit harder, and be way more strict on what exactly you can try to BS.
>>
>>51271021
Bluff checks are: How likely is this person to believe your lie?

Say, the person needs a signed missive from the prince to enter the palace, and the guards are instructed of this.

The player doesn't have this missive and doesn't know the princes signature / crest well enough to fake it.

Bluffing that he belongs without this missive is an "impossible" check. They simply won't believe you.
>>
>>51270790
>I'm just looking for a way to ask him to settle down
Have you tried asking him "hey buddy, can you tone it down a bit?"
>>
File: rocksfall.jpg (70KB, 334x500px)
rocksfall.jpg
70KB, 334x500px
>>51270503
>>
>>51272555
seriously though, if a player is attempting to totally derail your campaign, and going full bullshit Munchkin social sorc cunt, make him build a new character.
this is assuming you (and the group) have already told him to fucking stop and he is still going.
>>51271091
also this. there is only one way to succeed at impossible checks, and thats outright mind control, which I can bet he won't take because he's a sorc. and sorcs need those spells for blasting
>>
>>51270790
OK what wild tangents?
>>
>>51270503
make a monster resistant to magic and fire
>>
> as you enter the cave you notice a dull hum and a greenish glow emanating from the back of the cave
> I cast...
> nothing happens, something about the cave is nullifying your magic powers
> I leave the cave...
> the entrance has sealed itself shut behind you

Done.
>>
>>51270503
shit like this is the reason why I run systems that do not depend on checks for social interaction.
It is a matter of honor (and not having to be the poor bastard who brings all of the snacks) for us to stay in character no matter how much of an asshole/stupid he is. and even if a guy who doesnt know how to play a dumb/smart character, he will get some suggestions from the GM or other players.

rolling for social interactions is cancer.
except for bartering maybe
>>
>>51270503
>sorcerer
>problems with it are damage spells (ooooh magic missile is sooo scary) and high charisma
Sounds like a serious case of holy shit it's 99% your fault
>>
>>51273395
Mostly secret occult stuff that doesn't involve anyone else at the table. He roleplays a little too hard for the group, and I think I've been appeasing him too much. I like to preserve player agency, but I think I've got to keep him on a slightly shorter leash.

>>51274298
Pretty much. This is my first time DMing a 3.5 game to Lv 6, and I wasn't ready for how much power growth casters get. I'm just going to have to plan encounters a bit more thoroughly.

Thanks for the help anons, I think I'm better equipped for the next meeting.
>>
>>51270503
>>mfw he DMs my game for me
Make him the DM and roll up a dragonborn barbarian, have some real fun
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.