[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm dming for d&d 5e and one of my players (a monk)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: monk7.jpg (164KB, 800x1188px) Image search: [Google]
monk7.jpg
164KB, 800x1188px
I'm dming for d&d 5e and one of my players (a monk) constantly complains about not being able to do anything because he gets shit rolls a lot of the time (even though monks get multiple attacks per turn). All the other players are cool when they miss, they're just like "ah shit, alright". What should I do to get him to stop complaining? He's mentioned he wishes he could have some form of reliable damage, so maybe something where it's just a piddly 1d6 damage or so but it always hits when he attacks?
>>
Are you using feats?
What's the level of the party?
Monks are ok at low levels and as long as there aren't feats in game, if neither of those they are pity damage dealers and their only utility is to stun. They also have problems if their stats aren't good because, unlike everybody else, they can't wear armor/shield when their stats are low. Is not as bad as 3.PF, but monk is still not great.
>>
>>51262947
Also
Is he going full unarmed? tell him to use a spear or a quarterstaff till he reaches 8th level.
>>
>>51262947
Started them off with 1 feat each, he took Mobile. They just became level 3 at the end of the last session, and he has a spear but for some reason doesn't use it and elects to use unarmed instead.
>>
>>51262901
>>51263014

So hes a fucking retard then
>>
>>51263014
>Mobile
Probably the only feat worth a damn for a monk
What the other players pick? Great Weapon Master? Sharp Shooter?

>Doesn't use spear
Tell him that 1d8+Dex + 1d4+Dex > 2d4+2xDex. Seems weird he asks for reliable damage but doesn't pick a better weapon.

What are his stats?
Ideally he should have 16 on Dex and Wis.
>>
File: trap.png (5KB, 450x321px) Image search: [Google]
trap.png
5KB, 450x321px
>>51262901
By the way, the same player has an issue with traps and possibly metagaming.

Last session, I had a simple trapdoor that was situated around the bend of the corner (pic related) and they rolled for perception as they approached the corner because the player (ooc) stated that the corner was a likely place for a trap. DC to spot the trap was 10, none of them passed it and a different player fell in. The monk was upset because he failed to spot it and kept on going on like "In real life, I would have spotted it" and how he'd "have just kept rolling perception until I spotted it"
>>
>>51263081
War Caster, Great Weapon Master, and Lucky.

And 16 in both wis and dex, I helped him make his character.

And by reliable damage, he means something like burning hands where an enemy is damaged no matter what.
>>
>>51263198
>DC to spot the trap was 10
That's pretty low, passive perception is 10+Wis
>none of them passed it
What? his char is a monk, he at least had to be possitive Wis bonus

Anyway, the problem is the player.
>>
>>51263265
It was dim lighting and his character is a human, so he had disadvantage on the perception check.
>>
>>51263256
>Great Weapon Master
...In a few levels the monk player is going to stab himself in the eyes XD

Tell him to go Sun Soul Monk, at 6th level he's going to have Burning Hands for 2 ki as bonus action
>>
>>51263299
>Walking around without a torch
I correct myself, your whole group seems to have different degrees of moron
>>
>>51263315
They didn't want to be spotted by enemies or something, so they didn't light them. I was just like okay...you do realize that 3/5th's of the party don't have dark vision though, correct?
>>
>>51263365
If there aren't torches on the dungeon that means the monsters inside have dark vision, this is logic 101, so they're still going to spot them before they do.
>>
Well OP, tell your player to grow a pair and take his and rolls like an adult.

I just played in 3 only war sessions where, in a game where most folks have at best a 50/50 chance to hit with a given attack I missed every single shot with my ratling sniper, catastrophically. My failure leading to the death of a valued NPC because I missed the shot.

Another group Christians a new verb after my character. "To Makcrag, is to miss the enemy by the narrowest of margins despite using all available resources" as you may imagine it happened with some frequency.

In the last rogue trader game we played in, I had to roll an ork as all my other characters kept dying when I crit failed actions. He blew himself, got hit by friendly fire, and generally survived by the skin of his teeth every session. Even the sessions without combat.

The answer here is not to placate this player, but to ask him, calmly, but forcefully, to shut the fuck up and take his bumps like a grown man because it causes you distress to hear him whine, bitch, and moan.
>>
File: 1474611092971.jpg (47KB, 362x582px) Image search: [Google]
1474611092971.jpg
47KB, 362x582px
>>51262901
>>51263198
Kick him. Players are a dime a dozen, find someone worth your time who will contribute to the enjoyment of your game.

If he's not kick-able, then you shouldn't game with your friends if they aren't mature enough to handle it.

If you don't want to kick him, or don't think you should, even after all the shit you just posted, then you shouldn't be DMing because you can't handle all the responsibilities that Dms have to deal with, or your personal judgement as a DM sucks.
>>
>>51262901
Don't allow Monks in your games.
>>
Tell him to harden up. You can't help little babies or low rollers
>>
>>51262901

Why did he chose to play what for all intents and purposes is an NPC class? It's like complaining about why a warrior is unable to do as much damage as a fighter.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.