[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>noob joins group >teach them how to play >help them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1371388704206.jpg (349KB, 781x750px) Image search: [Google]
1371388704206.jpg
349KB, 781x750px
>noob joins group
>teach them how to play
>help them make their first character
>a few months pass
>tell no-book to read the book
>scrub makes excuses why the book is impossible to read
>they stay stupid
>slow down the game, get characters killed and break rules
>get frustrated whenever a ruling isn't in their favor or that their character sucks because they keep forgetting their abilities
>blames the DM
>leaves the group

How do you get noobs to READ THE FUCKING BOOK so they don't turn into no-book clingy scrubs? At what point do you unscrew the training wheels and how do you go about it?
>>
>>51259768
kindly disinvite noob or play a different game or find a way to put more the garbage rules on their character sheet
>>
>>51259768

>playing games so stupidly complex that you need to read the book

>2000+15+2
>>
>>51259768
Just stop reminding him of things. If he complains about this, pass the book to him. If he says it's too hard to read, remind him that everyone else in the group (or at least you) has read it, so obviously it's possible, and helpfully point out the specific pages he needs to familiarize himself with. If he doesn't even attempt after that, then let him leave.

>>51259990
Oh yeah, Fate core, the Black Hack, and Cat are all way too complex. Really in need of a mechanical trim.
>>
>>51259990
If you're going to spend an entire night a week for months playing a game, upwards of 20% of some people's free time, you should at least know how your own character works and write a basic background.
>>
>>51259768
Make it a requirement that he reads the book if he wants to play the game.
Have a rule of "forget a common roll three times in a row and you're out."

Worked wonders for me and my groups.
>>
>>51259768
I only get to run con games, so there is no opportunity for my players to ever RTFM.
>>
>>51259918
>disinvite noob or play a different game
fpbp
>>
>>51259768
In my time as a novice DM I make sure by shoving the fucking book down their throat and requiring they read it before they get ANY character stats down.
>>
Why do you care if your players read the book? When I GM I don't really give a shit of they understand the rules - it's GMs job really, I rather have players focus on the narrative
>>
File: 1483462010869.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483462010869.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>51259768
>Brother plays D&D with us because he was invited because my other brother (who does actually learn) suggested it
>He doesn't pay attention
>He doesn't read the goddamned book
>He forgets how to make an attack roll every session
>Half of the group doesn't know how to play anyways
God dammit, I never should have agreed to teach new players while not in person.
>>
File: fuckshitdamn.gif (949KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
fuckshitdamn.gif
949KB, 301x300px
>>51260562
>what's an attack roll?

I've had this asked before. The guy was 22 years old and was playing an archer for five weeks. He was a creeper and touched in the head.
>>
>>51260211
I dunno, I get certain rules muddled between games all the bleeding time. Especially games that are similar and have tons of esoteric differences. Here's looking at you 3.5 and Pathfinder.
>>
>>51260672
>pathfinder
>3.5
>m&m
>gurps

Yup, I know why you mean.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.