[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 401
Thread images: 35

File: 20 INT Barbarian.jpg (481KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20 INT Barbarian.jpg
481KB, 960x1200px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread: >>51217315

How do you feel about odd archetype concepts for different main stat classes, such as INT Barbarian or STR Wizard?
>>
Reposting from last thread.

Need some critique on my Ranger archetype. Based it on the Runeseeker homebrew class.

Aside from any personal critique given, this is what I'm looking at knowing opinions on.

1. Is this too strong/overdesigned?
2. Does this offer a niche for Rangers?
3. What should the 11th level feature be?
4. Is there any features or runes I should tone down/scrap?
5. Any ideas on more runes you'd like to see?
6. What should the archetype be named? Runeweaver was a placeholder.

I myself think I should probably just scrap most of Runic Weapon and just combine it with Rune Arts.
>>
>>51223276
>How do you feel about odd archetype concepts for different main stat classes, such as INT Barbarian or STR Wizard?

funny memes
>>
As a fairly muscular and handsome hetero dude, would it be weird for me to show up to my friend's game with a qt3.14 witch character with heavy potion-brewing and Halloweeny vibes?
>>
>>51223276

I think a con-based caster would be fun
>>
>>51223276
>How do you feel about odd archetype concepts for different main stat classes, such as INT Barbarian or STR Wizard?
Depends on if it's fun.
>>
>>51223508
only if it's a subclass for barbarians, otherwise go fuck yourself that's terrible
>>
>>51223506
I'm 6'4, 235 and I once played a female gnome Alchemist in Pathfinder. Granted that was more of a mad scientist.
It isn't any weirder than what you make of it, so just go for it if you think it'll be fun.
>>
>>51223506
>muscular and handsome hetero dude
>handsome hetero dude
>hetero

it's okay, anon, embrace it.
>>
How do you run a heist?
>>
>>51223276

Wisdom fighter is neat. Human var. w/ Magic Initiate(druid) for shillelagh. Don't need strength and only need 14 dex to use medium armor well.
If you pick up PAM at some point, then your damage gets pretty damn good too.

Basically turns you into a SAD ranger who's better at fighting but basically doesn't get spells.
>>
>>51223506
No. You can get away with practically anything as long you roleplay it well.
>>
>>51223328
Change the phrasing on the third Runic Weapon benefit.
>You learn two cantrips of your choice from any class's spell list. These cantrips are ranger spells for you.

The level of exhaustion just seems mean, especially if your DM is even a tiny bit of a dick. If the DM knows how badly you'll be hobbled by a broken or stolen weapon, then (s)he is gonna have that happen every once in a while.

Plus, there aren't fixed rules on how hard it is to break weapons, especially when someone's holding it. Do you make an attack roll against the object? What's its AC? Is it the same as what it'd be if it was just lying there or does the wielder impact that? Is there a saving throw involved?

Et cetera. I'd just take that out.

The 5th level feature is either Extra Attack or something which takes the place of Extra Attack. Do you think "if you spend one of your limited spell slots you can do a little more damage with the feature you can use three times per short rest" is equivalent to "every single time you use the Attack action, do it twice"?

Only two of the Rune Arts deal any kind of damage unless Overloaded. Does Rune Shield work on any of the others if you don't Overload them? It's pretty good otherwise (it reinforces the conclave's features, and ever-changing resistance is a neat way to approach the ranger's 7th-level defensive feature) though I gotta put an asterisk there because I think there is quite a bit that you should change about the Rune Arts feature, which might mean some tweaks to Rune Shield in turn.

You should be able to use Interference whenever either you or a friendly creature is targeted, not just yourself. Also the point of origin for some spells (like cone spells) is already the caster, so you're gonna need to change that wording. Or why not just something like "you can spend a use of Rune Arts to cast Counterspell without spending a spell slot"?

The Rune Arts are the biggest problem. I'll get to them next.
>>
File: christie.png (285KB, 338x426px) Image search: [Google]
christie.png
285KB, 338x426px
>>51223508
Constitution is not a spellcasting ability. Stop it.
>>
File: heresymeter.jpg (8KB, 273x135px) Image search: [Google]
heresymeter.jpg
8KB, 273x135px
>>51223508
Blood magic pls go and stay go
>>
>>51223788
Not that anon, but I like the concept of a con-caster, however out of a witch/shamanistic point of view.

Most notably, scarred witchdoctor from Pathfinder.
>>
>>51223663
I'll response to everything after your next post/critique. I think you're the same Anon who helped me with the Fey-Blood Sorcerer.
>>
>>51223328
>>51223663
What is "the Overload effect"?

I think something to replace the extra attack would be "Choose fire, cold lightning, acid, poison or thunder. Once per turn, when you attack with your runic weapon, deal an additional 1d10 damage of that type. When you finish a long rest, you can change the type of damage."
>>
What's the best way to take advantage of fast hands? Is there any use for the sleight of hand as a bonus action part?
>>
>>51223884
If you scroll down, there's a second page with the runes and Overload effect.
>>
>>51223884
>>51223905
Oh, there was a second page.

The rune arts don't say how long they last.
>>
>>51223898
Secretly masturbating someone else.
>>
>>51223898
Stealing something on their person
>>
>>51223898
Subtle spell via mundane means? If you cover your mouth with a mask at least.
Reverse pick pocketing gas/oil/explosives?
Poison needle poking the target without the guards seeing?
>>
>>51223927
I should probably change the wording to "On your next hit". The intent was for them to last a single turn, but perhaps I should make it last two turns instead? Something like the Samurai, "Until the end of your next turn"?
>>
So in our last session, with the reaction resulting from placing a bag of holding inside another one, we destroyed a castle.
In our scurry to get away from there, the wizard tripped and ended up losing his legs.

Considering we have no access to Regenerate, what do?
>>
>>51223962
Strap him on the strongest party member's back. Hodor.
>>
>>51223328
The Rune Arts are sorta all over the place, man.

>Rune of Flame
From 5th level on, that's weaker than a cantrip, and you can only do it three times per rest.

>Rune of Phantasm
>ignore any AC bonuses the creature has aside from what they'd have from their Dexterity modifier or Natural Armor
So many things here. First of all, I get what you're going for, but in game mechanics terms that's nonsense.

You're forcing the DM to make calculations on the fly. "Okay, so their Dexterity modifier is +2, so their AC is 12" isn't a BIG calculation, but it's annoying and it adds up. Also most enemies have natural armor, so if you keep this, it should affect natural armor.

More damningly, though, that bonus usually isn't much bigger than gaining advantage on the attack roll would be. So again, this isn't really better than a cantrip but it's much more limited.

>Rune of Frost
>Rune of Draining
These are okay. They're roughly equivalent to 1st-level spells (Rune of Draining to False Life, Rune of Frost to a weaker version of Shield of Faith). Though without the Overload, I don't really get how "hit them with a weapon attack and get +1 to AC" ties in with ice.

>Rune of Steel
>Rune of Fervor
Much, much more useful than the others. Would you rather do 1d8 (average 4.5) damage to one enemy with Rune of Flame or would you rather do 5 damage per turn to every enemy within 10 feet for a minute? Would you rather reduce the enemy's chance of hitting by 5 percentage points with Rune of Frost or decrease the damage you take by 17% with Rune of Steel (for a Medium creature with a 2d6 weapon and 20 Strength--it's more for weaker attacks)?

If I were you, I'd probably reshape the Rune Arts from the ground up in a way that reinforces the ranger-as-arcane-spellcaster dynamic. Make it a benefit that activates when you cast a spell like the Favored Soul's self-healing deal, except stronger and more versatile to compensate for the ranger's much smaller reserve of spell slots.
>>
>>51223962
Strap him to a stick.
Have the barbarian hold him.
Refer to him as the staff of fireball.
>>
>>51223861
I don't believe I am.

>>51223962
Why would a mid-to-high level wizard ever need legs?
>>
Does the natural weapon granted by Alter Self count for sneak attack, and can I use dex as my attack stat with it?
>>
>>51223962
Get you a scroll of unseen servant.
Have the wizard craft a magic item that creates a servant to act as his missing legs.
>>
>>51224098
It does not appear so. You're making an unarmed strike, which uses Strength unless you have the Martial Arts class feature. Sneak Attack requires the use of a ranged or finesse weapon.
>>
>>51223663
>>51224035
>>51224051
Alright, I appreciate your critique and this has given me some good ideas on how to tweak it. My original idea was to have EK's War Magic(or variation) at 5th/7th level and place Overload higher up. But I felt at the time that making Overload come so late into the class made it overall not worth having to begin with.

Should I make Overload stay at 5th level after redesigning the Rune Arts and make the 7th level War Magic?
>>
>>51224152
Yeah, that's what I thought.
>>
File: thankong.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thankong.png
7KB, 112x112px
Since alignments are apparently important to my new DM

A Changeling Rogue who wants to climb from the slums and claim the throne by any means necessary, be it assassination/deception or intrigue/politicking.

Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Evil? I'm not quite sure what, but he wants me to put down one.
>>
>>51224263
Why do they want the throne, what will they do with it? Rule with an iron fist, destroy the kingdom from within, or just for the heck of it?
>>
>>51224263
Chaotic obviously, any means necessary is basically that. As for the rest

Neutral is looking out for number one.

Evil is looking out for number one and then raping number two's wife to make sure he knows who's number one.

Which is he?
>>
>>51224178
Frankly, I don't think Overload IS worth having to begin with.

War Magic could work for the 5th level feature, but you'd have to really hit hard on the archetype making the ranger more spellcasty. Maybe give three cantrips instead of two, for a start.

For the ranger, the 11th-level feature is usually Extra Attack But Not Quite (Volley, Whirlwind Attack, the beast master's version of Whirlwind Attack).

>>51224263
Depends why he wants to take the throne.
>>
>>51224296
> any means necessary is basically that.
No, that's Evil.
>>
>>51224263
That seems kinda short sighted for a changeling. I mean he's going to be found out eventually by virtue of not being able to have kids/have the same political skill or fancies that everyone's going to know the king for.

Is the reason he wants the throne just?

Lust for power=chaotic evil
Thinks he can do better with a shitty kingdom/he's the only one that can change it given the current climate=chaotic neutral/good
Thinks being a king would be neato=neutral evil
>>
>>51224263
Lawful - Follows a code, whether it's personal honour or the law of the land/an order.
Chaotic - Does what he feels he wants to.
Good - Willing to help others and take some detriment (whether minor or large) to himself in the process.
Evil - Helps himself even when it's detrimental to others.
Note that any alignment can still have friends and loved ones. They mainly affect how you interact with strangers.
>>
>>51224311
Chaotic is the ends justify the means, lawful is the means are just as important. He doesn't care how he becomes king, just that he does.
>>
>>51224303
Alright, so make 5th level War Magic, entirely nix Overload and replace it with something else. Maybe making the 11th level something that has to do with exploding effects?
>>
>>51223276
>finally looking up bkub

holy shit nigga, thems some hard to deciper references.
>>
>>51224350
That could work.
>>
>>51224386
Alright, thanks Anon. Time to get to work. Flavor/fluff wise, does being a Runeseeker/gish fit the Ranger archetype?
>>
>>51224394
Sure.

By the way, they're "conclaves" now.
>>
>>51224417
Conclaves it is, thanks.
>>
So I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle with one of my players, and I'm hoping I can get a bit of help to solve it.

I previously told the players that most classes from 3.5 can be ported over to 5th edition with little/few changes, thanks to a combination of archetypes and slight homebrew. Well, one of them wants to play as a Swordsage from Book of Nine Swords, and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to do it for this person, either as a homebrewed port or a mix of feats and classes.

My initial thought was to just say, "Use GFB, BB, etc., and play as a Bladesinger, EK, or Warlock" but while that solves some of the mechanics, it doesn't fix all of them. Now, based on the class in 3.5, I'm trying to figure out how to port it over, and which class in 5e has a decent backbone/structure to it that would allow this to occur.

The closest thing I can think of is the Monk as a backbone, tweaking what weapons are allowed, and then saying Ki is used for the various maneuver abilities.

I don't want to just tell this player no, because he's willing to work with me on it and is fine with on-the-fly balance changes, but I'm at a loss.
>>
>>51223677

my campaign's clerics are more like holy power channelers, they use con instead of wis. makes dwarves the primary god-botherers of the campaign compared to the elves arcane talents.
>>
>>51224501
I kind of feel like the monk would probably be the closest though I've never played any of those classes. It also looks like if you get any more complicated than just giving him the weapon he wants and taxing him a feat for it, it would get way too weird.

I'd ask him what he liked about swordsage, and allow some homebrew items/feats that got into the core of that with an existing class.
>>
>>51223947
>Reverse pick pocketing
It's called planting.

>>51224501
I don't know anything about Swordsage, other than "unarmed swordsage= playable 3.5 monk." With that said, you did say "most classes," so maybe just a monk. Look at the archetype options, and they can use weapons.
>>
>>51224609
That makes dwarf clerics and clerics in general ridiculously op

Wis would be kinda fine for your flavor, if you think of it as the ability to recognize and concentrate on the holy power

But lifting the limitation on clerics to need both, high wisdom for spellcasting and high con for being tanky and maintaining concentration, which is pretty important to clerics, especially for frontliners, may break the game, or at least ruin it for other classes
>>
>>51224501
What are the core things about a Swordsage's feel?
>>
>>51224941
>I can shut down enemies with spells AND never die in my heavy armor and behind my shield?
>Sign me the fuck up!
>>
>>51223506
I played a transexual Arabian duelist once, so I'd say yours is at least less-weird than that.
>>
>>51224501
>>51224976
I haven't played 3.5, but is swordsage literally just a guy with light armor and martial weapons that uses some magical maneuvers? In that case I think the best way to go about it would be to mod the battlemaster. (Or maybe even the arcane archer?) Change the maneuver list for more magical effects. Give them some magical stuff for the other features like detect magic or identify, maybe evasion.
>>
>>51224609
You'd better reduce the Cleric to d6 hit dice if you're doing that. At minimum.
>>
>>51224976
Swordsage was originally made to be a fixed Monk class for 3.5, along with the other two classes in the book (Crusader = Paladin, Warblade = Fighter). It was meant to be a light armor wearing class that would deal damage based upon using various maneuvers (aka "weeaboo fighting magic") to hit, deal weapon damage and some form of elemental damage, and then back out without provoking an attack of opportunity. They also had various stances they could enter, usually to provide a bonus to AC or let them move about the battlefield without provoking attacks of opportunity.
>>
I've looked.

I'm tired of looking, googling, reading

where are size rules.
>>
>>51225353
Heavy. Small creatures have disadvantage on attack
rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and
bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use
effectively.
>>
>>51225374
Aside from the races speed and physical size and weight occupying spaces - and special rules such as heavy

there are no other size rules?
>>
>>51225400
No. Some abilities specify "creature of size Large or smaller" or "creature smaller than you", for example, but there's nothing general AFAIK.
>>
>>51225287
So sounds like a monk (you can already use ki to Disengage as a bonus action) with a homebrew Tradition that lets you use some Stances.
>>
I'm looking to DM a game for my friends. None of us have played D&D. Any tips? Been watching videos about it on YouTube, particularly Matt Colville's channel.
>>
>>51225400
I think it has them in either the Monster Manual or the DMG, since it includes some size-related guidelines in the DM Basic Rules.

But there aren't many size-related rules, especially on the player side. The only one that comes to mind is "you can move through the space of a creature two sizes larger or smaller than you".
>>
>>51224501 here, after reading some of the another anons who talked about Swordsage. My thinking is to make it a Monk archetype and combining it with other features the Swordsage class had back in 3.5. Here's what I've come up with so far:

>Martial Training
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with all martial melee weapons, and they are treated as Monk weapons.

>Maneuvers
You learn two maneuvers, special weapon techniques that are only possible thanks to your mastery of Ki. As you gain more Monk levels you may learn other maneuvers. Each maneuver requires the use of Ki. Refer to the maneuver itself to see how much the technique costs. (I then have to port over/balance out the Swordsage maneuvers for 5e, draw upon inspiration from Battlemaster Fighter maneuvers).

>Quick to Act
At 6th level, you gain a +1 bonus to your initiative count. This increases to a +2 bonus at 11th level, and a +3 bonus at 17th level.

>Sense Magic
At 6th level, you gain the ability to cast Detect Magic and Identify as a ritual.

>Weapon Focus
At 11th level, you gain increased proficiency and expertise with your Monk weapons. You gain a +2 damage bonus with all Monk weapons.

>Weapon and Body
At 17th level, your weapon truly is an extension of your body. Whenever you hit a target with one of your maneuvers that use Ki, you regain 1 Ki point.
>>
Trying to find a character app for android.

So far ive downloaded squire, 5th edition character, and d20 character sheet.

Where are the import files for squire found? Its got the neatest layout but its severely limited to what i can do.

5th ed character has more options but again is quite limited.

D20 sheet doesnt seem to allow multiclassing but does everything else fine.
>>
Anyone have a pdf of Legacy of the crystal shard?
>>
>>51225514
Check this one out for comparison https://merovia.obsidianportal.com/wikis/swordsage
>>
>>51225514
>>51225629
Also, I think the problem with using ki for maneuvers might be that they compete for resources with the base class (like Wot4E), while battlemaster gets resources completely on top of what the base class offers
>>
need some help for ideas

gonna give my level 1 players some funny magic music instruments since they are a "warband"

Bagpipes of invisibility
drums of
Ukulele of
Something to be used for singing
Tambourines of
>>
>>51223506

You seem to be lost friend. /pfg/ is a different thread.
>>
>>51225670
>Ukulele of Shrinking

Whilst playing you reduce from Medium to Small to Tiny, at which point it is large enough compared to you to legally be considered a guitar, so stops working and you grow back at the same speed.
>>
>>51225514
>At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with all martial melee weapons, and they are treated as Monk weapons.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON
You're letting the monk use a greatsword with Dexterity, plus make an unarmed strike afterward, starting at 3rd level.

I don't think it'd be the end of the world to let the monk use d8 weapons as a Tradition feature, but then you'd need to phrase it "You can use either simple or martial weapons as monk weapons, but must abide by the other restrictions listed. If you use a weapon with the versatile property, you cannot gain the benefit of this feature while you wield it in both hands."

The alternative--which I would not recommend, since I think it would require more complicated rules--is taking away the free unarmed attack as a bonus action.

You could probably give Detect Magic at-will at 6th level.
>>
>>51225659
Wot4E's abilities are horrendously over-priced for their effect. I'm still working on the pricing for these maneuvers and converting them for 3.5 to 5th edition, but my initial guess is to make the maneuvers themselves only cost 1-3 ki.
>>
>>51223506
Only if you make it weird.
>>
>>51225800
For the 3rd level weapon proficiencies, what about limiting it to specific ones that make sense for the archetype (and what I am basing it off of): all the one-handed martial weapons?
>>
>>51225873
That's fine, too.
>>
>>51225670
drums of beatboxing

Listening to the sound of this drum and succeeding on a dc 15 perception check you realize, it doesn't really make the sound of a real drum but rather just play a recorded particular skilled beatboxer imitating drum sounds
>>
>>51225670
Microphone of blasting.
https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/horn-of-blasting.html
Imagine one of your players trying to start his song and the microphone immediately exploding, putting him into a bloodied state.
>>
>>51225670
>not bagpipe of absolute annoyance/terror

Drums of marching, ukelele of... Something. Morris Tambourines.
>>
>>51225659
There's nothing wrong with using Ki for the abilities. The wrong thing with the Wot4E is that it gets nothing else. Level 3 should be "you learn disciplines. At these levels learn more." Then level 6, 11, and 17 are all free for real benefits.
>>
>>51225536
Please someone, anyone.
>>
File: 131.jpg (31KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
131.jpg
31KB, 184x184px
New-ish DM here. Was wondering on others' opinions on the optional Flanking rule from the DMG.
Now, most of my players have come from Pathfinder (even though I'm not really a fan of it), so they expect to get something out of flanking.
I was running with it at first, but after they absolutely demolished the boss I set before them earlier, I'm starting to think that giving Advantage on Flanking might be way too fucking much. I had to buff the boss twice during the fight to compensate for everyone mobbing around it.
How would you guys do it? Disable it altogether? I've thought about reverting the Flanking rule to how it worked in previous editions: a +2 to hit.
I do feel like my players should gain something from clever positioning, but I don't want it to feel flat-out broken as it did to me. Thoughts on this?
>>
>>51226117
You should be careful running single enemies at all. Players can just shove them to the ground and hold them there.

Advantage is honestly too much, considering you can't stack advantage.

I honestly wouldn't give any real bonus unless you completely surround something, and even then you have the advantage of having more turns than them.
>>
>>51224329
Paladin who feels the strong should rule the weak, the feeble shall, and will yield.

However, it is the responsibility of the strong to cultivate and protect the weak under his service, as they are but sheep living amoung wolves.

He owns slaves and is will contently reprimand them if needed with whips or other means of punishment, however he would also fight without hesitation to protect them against anyone causing them harm or bother, as they are both his possession and his responsibility.

He would happily leap forward to save villagers from bandits, as he knows they are too feeble and pathetic to save themselves, he is a wolf among sheep. He asks no reward, but also adores being praised as a hero so the act is not entirely selfless.

Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Or Lawful Evil?
>>
>>51226117
The benefit from flanking in this edition is free rogue sneak attacks and OAs when the monster moves.
>>
>>51224263
Neutral Evil seems the right spot but as others say it depends on his motivation to rule.

If it's to depose an evil tyrant for the good of all, he may be considered TN or even NG.
>>
>>51226151
He does it to gain, exert and demonstrate power over others, so I'd say he's evil. What he does is a good example of tyranny, which is LE.
You think the Soviet Union under Stalin was completely horrible in every way? It was tyranny, but the government did still protect them from harm.
>>
>>51226199
Seems good, love to see other peoples takes on this.

I want to bring this kind of character to the table but I know "Ehuh, my character is Evil!" is a huge red flag to most GMs, I'm happy to have him save the day, quest for the good of all and be the hero but don't want the GM to say "You're bloke is a pretty swell guy, you're LN now."
>>
>>51226117
Advantage is a very potent bonus. You ever see the Inspired and Second Chance traits in Pathfinder? Reroll skill checks 1/day, reroll a failed save 1/day. Used correctly, they are the difference between winning and losing. In 5e, anything that grants advantage should be pursued and exploited to the greatest extent possible. Flanking already provides bonuses, particularly when your entire party is wailing on one enemy. If you're so inclined, small modifiers like +2 shouldn't disrupt anything, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>51226151
Lawful Evil, definitely.
He's protecting his flock, sure. But he's protecting them because they are HIS.
An evil character can, from the outside, appear to be a very good character until you scratch away at the surface and see what really motivates them.
>>
>>51223898
Take the healer feat. You can revive companions with a bonus action. You're god now.
>>
I want to make a noble who disappeared among voodoo using savages and returned changed, wielding their strange magics. What class should I roll? Part of me wants to do necromancer wizard, but I also think Warlock would be pretty good for it. It's too bad the warlock can't raise any undead.
>>
>>51226117

Been playing with this one DM for two years now. First campaign we did had flanking and back attack. Second campaign had just flanking. Our next campaign will have neither.

I've convinced him that advantage should be something relatively hard to get. Which it should be.
>>
>>51226117
Bear in mind that when the party faces a boss, you mustn't think of them as a single character, but as several. They have action economy on their side, and action economy is crazy strong. It only takes one successful grapple check to lock your boss down, and a party of five characters get five (or more, with things like action surge or haste) attempts per round, while the boss only gets one roll to get out. Likewise, your party can toss five control spells on him each round, while he can only use his action to get out of one of them.

Bosses meant to be used in singular are typically the ones with lair and legendary actions. Other bosses should get a few mooks to help them out.
>>51226289
Exactly this. A common example of a character who would come across as better than he really is is NE, as that is the alignment usually associated with sociopaths. High Charisma and NE combined is what gives you things like vampires that put on a convincing air of nobility or grace, or psycopathic wife-beating swindlers who befriend the law and lie their butts off, coming across as charming and caring even though it's all an act.
>>
>>51226225
I currently play a lawful evil character, and hell, most of the party even acknowledges that he is evil. But they have accepted him because he has always done right by them. In fact, for the first time, at level 9, (started at level one) has my character done something that required the rest of the party to step up and say something.

My character being evil has also given the party some insight into the minds of other npcs and their motives. Had to track down a killer at one point, my character suggested following Person A, because the killer is either Person A or Person B, if he is Person A, we have him, if he is Person B, he will come after person A.

Of course, they didn't like the end of the plan of letting the killer murder the other person so we can be certain or just killing both of them. But that was a problem for the good guys in the party to figure out.
>>
File: 46107393.jpg (110KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
46107393.jpg
110KB, 500x281px
>>51226225
>>
Why does it feel good making bad people quit a campaign
>>
What god would work the best for an aasimar and tiefling paladin or cleric to be a good cop/bad cop duo.
>>
>>51226225
I think the only time an alignment change is deserved is when there's a key moment an evil person could take advantage without any downside.

Say, if nobody would know if they looted something while nobody was looking in the middle of a raid on the city. Though a lawful person might still have a code of honour sometimes even if they could have taken advantage of the situation.

It's not a 'does your character frequently backstab everyone' but 'if you're offered ultimate legtimate power in exchange for your friends' sort of thing.
>>
>>51226225
Evil does not equal disruptive. Evil still has loved ones, evil can still form friendships, evil can still care about things.
Most important of all, evil can still get hurt by other evil. The vampire who wants to enslave the kingdom for food is not going to agree even slightly with the crazy dragon who wants to burn the entire planet to ash. Neither is your LE paladin going to agree with either of them. Finding motivation for a evil character to do something with the party can be a bit more difficult as you can't just go "Because it's the right thing to do!", but then being good and doing that is still easy to turn into very boring roleplay.
>>
>>51225514
Man, trying to balance these maneuvers for 5th edition is insane. So the Swordsage in 3.5 could learn up to 25 maneuvers, and up to 6 different stances. Even if I combine them into one thing and then only give 1 maneuver for each level (because their maneuvers were treated like spells, which meant 1st - 9th level maneuvers) in the various fighting styles they could learn, that's a total of 54 potential maneuvers.

Even if I cut that in half that's still a lot of options, probably too much for what the archetype is meant to allow. I may have to make it so that they have 18 options, and can learn up to 9 maneuvers, which on top of the normal Monk Ki abilities means a total of 16 abilities (9 from the archetype, 7 from the normal Monk levels).
>>
>>51226513
>Finding motivation for a evil character to do something with the party can be a bit more difficult
eh, normally it doesn't have to go beyond them asking themselves "But how does this benefit me?"
>Getting a cut of the spoils
>political power (having a nobleman indebted to you is quite useful)
>having the town think you are a hero typical nets you free food, drink, and discounts on eye gougers
>proving you are the best
>protecting all your ill gotten gains
The only time an evil character might have any issues is when doing "the thing" results in a loss no matter the outcome, such as "come my brothers, we must lay down our lives to protect this village, and while we will die, the peasants will be safe!"
>>
>>51226144
>>51226157
>>51226281
>>51226372
>>51226382
Thanks for the input, I'll see if the next boss goes less shittily with just offering a minor bonus. If it it doesn't I'll just remove the ruling altogether.
On that note though, does getting the jump on someone (surprise) give you advantage while attacking them on the first round? I understand that there's no surprise round (I've read that bit of the PHB), but it doesn't clarify whether it should give you advantage or not.
>>
>>51226626
If you were being sneaky and get the jump on them and they don't notice any of you with their passive perception, you get something like a surprise round.

Otherwise, you need to be unseen to get advantage, but it's completely reasonable the DM might give advantage if they don't think it's surprise worthy but it is enough of a surprise to get advantage.
>>
>>51226505
Kord and Pelor?
>Alright lets kill this son of a bitch
>Nae my friend, we must execute him in GLORIOUS BATTLE. Give him a sword.
>We are not giving him a fucking sword.
>Then how will we see who the fates favor?!
>>
>>
>>51226663
So as far as I understand, if this lone patrol was walking along a corridor and a rogue passed a stealth check to sneak up behind him and shank him, they would be surprised, but the Rogue wouldn't get advantage from it? That seems somewhat weird to me.
>>
>>51226813
>>
>>51223581
He said Hetero, if he wants to be the little girl that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, that's gender identity.

>>51224501
Really, go monk. Either homebrew a Monk archetype that uses Superiority Dice for manuevers and cherry pick manuevers from the battle master list and the other Unearthed Arcana playtest fighter archetypes that use those dice with pre loaded manuevers to best represent the spread of abilities he had as a Sword Sage, or just use the most recent Monk playtest from UA and have him play a Kensei Monk, which is thematically a Sword Saint.
>>
>>51226818
They'd get advantage since it's an unseen attack.
After the first attack though, you may or may not get advantage depending on the DM. Rogues normally only make one attack anyway though or something.

Getting a free round essentially is more than worth it without also getting a load of hit bonuses.
>>
>>51223607
What could be some good back stories/origins for a fighter that has a small access druid magic, inconsequential strength, and ok dexterity? Do you just pump con and wis instead of str?
>>
>>51224263
Is the rest of your party cool with you being an evil character?
>>
>>51226626
Flanking is actually pretty mandatory if you want melee damage to be balanced with ranged. There isn't really any upsides to melee damage, just lots of risk with little reward.
>>
File: 165.jpg (42KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
165.jpg
42KB, 499x499px
If three players of my group are wandering down an hallway while the other two are still in the previous one, and they trigger an encounter, do the players in the previous hallway roll for initiative as well?
>>
>>51227090
is this some sort of magical hallway that blocks all sight and sound if you are outside it?
>>
>>51227090
Yes? That way they have to use their turns to run into the combat instead of just free moving.
>>
>>51227118
I'm mostly wondering what to do when the other players don't have line of sight to the other players or can't hear any signs of struggle.
>>
>>51227142
i think you vastly underestimate how loud combat is.
I have headphones on and i can hear the TV upstairs. Now imagine being in some dark quiet dungeon and suddenly:
>RAAAAAARGHHGHGH
>GET THE BEAST!
>CLASH BANG STOMP STOMP
>FWOOOSH
>BOOM!
>>
>>51227090
Yes. If it takes a long time for the other players to get there, maybe the three players should use common fucking sense for once and use actions such as dodge or use tactics to get away instead of mindlessly hitting the enemies.

Though they should be careful about splitting the party in the first place.

I've seen games before though where the DM just kinda lets players arrive on the outskirts of the fight because everybody's fucking around somewhere.
>>
>>51227142
What is preventing the party members from yelling "yo get the fuck over here now" to the guys in the other room
>>
>>51226372
>advantage should be hard to get

Advantage is so hard to get, it's a mundane action any familiar can do.
>>
>>51227142
We just make them do a perception check depending on how far away they are.

Just in the other hall? No check.
100 feet away and magic and shit is being used? really easy check.

200 feet away and it's a longbow fight? Somewhat hard.
>>
Does anyone find it weird that the sorcerer class has the exact same proficiencies as the wizard? The latter spent years studying and learning how to manipulate the flow of all magic through careful practice and training.

What the fuck did the former do? Sit at home eating potato chips until daddy told them to go kill some goblins?
>>
>>51227226
Was born with power overwhelming?
>>
>>51226372
>I've convinced him that advantage should be something relatively hard to get. Which it should be.
any group with half a brain is going to have at LEAST half the group having advantage at any one time, even without flanking rules.
>Help action
>Prone
>Blinding
>Attacking without being seen (hiding or invisibility)
>Restrained
and that's not even counting class features.
>>
For UA ranger hunter subclass, is there ever a point not to go colossus slayer? I'm about to start skt, and was wondering if giant killer would be worth it?
>>
File: 152.jpg (25KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
25KB, 323x454px
>>51226872
Okay, so, just to see if I'm understanding this correctly.

Player A is an Assassin Rogue. As such, they have advantage against enemies that haven't taken a turn in combat yet, and critically strike those they surprise.
Player A sneaks up, undetected, on Enemy Goon.
Player A decides to shank them.
As there's no actual surprise round (as far as I understand), both Player A and Enemy Goon roll initiative.
Enemy Goon is surprised, but rolled higher initiative.
What does this translate to in game terms? Did the Enemy Goon turn before Player A could stab them?
Player A still benefits from the critical strike against surprised enemies, but no longer get advantage on their attack?
Help me out here.
>>
>>51227267
Right but with flanking rules players do None of that because they have free advantage anyway
>>
>>51227251
I meant more along the lines of "if the sorcerer never had to spend any time studying magic and was free to pick up other skills, why do they have nothing else to show for it?"
>>
>>51227287
Enemy Goon takes a turn but is surprised and thus can't do anything. They're surprised until the end of the round.
Player A can make a move. They get autocrits and I believe advantage because the goon hasn't taken a turn yet.
Then, after Player A, the next round starts.
Goon is no longer surprised, and can take a turn.
>>
>>51227226
>same proficiencies
>int wis = con cha
>>
>>51227316
Chips are good man.
>>
>>51227316
Learning how to use their Magic you fool.
>>
>>51227287
if he was undetected he should get a surprise round.

>>51227279
Giant slayer will probably be about as good as colossus slayer, 1d8 damage vs increased opportunity chance (so weapon + str/dex damage + etc.)

>>51227311
your players are simply retarded then. there are more reasons to assign the conditions above than just flanking. Hell, three of those listed give the enemy disadvantage as well. Also, flanking works both ways. Enemies can flank YOU. unless you are a retarded GM and only apply it one way.
>>
>>51227204
Once. Then the familiar will pretty much automatically die to any attack. Familiar assistance is only unbalanced because Owl gets flyby.
>>
>>51227316
I heard the idea that what Wizards do is take magic from the air, and mold it to their liking. Sort of like opening a faucet and getting a glass of water, the water is the magic, and the glass is the shape they want it to take.

What sorcerers do is kick off the sink with their hands in a vaguely cup shaped form, frantically trying to catch droplets from the resulting geyser of water.
>>
>>51227325
RAW surprise ends after you take a turn, as clarified by sage advice/J Craw. Anon had it right
>>
>>51227368
>if he was undetected he should get a surprise round.
Not the conumdrum. I understand that they get a surprise round, but, if the enemy rolls higher initiative (despite surprised), does the Rogue still have the Unseen Attacker advantage?
>>
>>51227380
oh no, how ever will i get my familiar back.

Oh wait! I have some spare change!
>>
Out of curiosity, how well would this new Artificer class fare in a game that takes place in a setting with guns?
>>
>>51227406
"No wizard, we're not stopping for another hour you cuck, press on."
>>
>>51227406
50 gold and a one hour cast to get advantage once doesn't seem unbalanced to me.
>>
>>51227393
So not only do you have to surprise an enemy, you also have to beat their initiative?
>>
>>51227435
what are "words never once uttered in a game?"

>>51227439
10gp
>>
>>51227456
>10gp
True.
Still, the one hour cast time is more than enough.
Guess what, if you're spending an hour casting a spell you're not relaxing enough for a short break. Find Familiar therefore becomes more or less a "once per day" spell for a dungeon crawl, and a massive inconvenience in city or wilderness play.
>>
File: wtfamIreading.png (719KB, 446x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wtfamIreading.png
719KB, 446x1000px
>>51227311
Flanking isn't that good for players, since you end up trading ideal positioning there's way more convenient ways to get advantage. It's a rule that helps the DM more and makes mooks scarier without having to Help spam.
>>
>>51227476
it can still be quite worth it, especially since any attack that is going to the familiar is an attack that is NOT going to someone else, generally speaking. People are also forgetting all the shit the familiar is doing outside of combat, like scouting.
>>
>>51227439
Advantage and an attack not aimed at you

If they can even target it in the first place, because it can fly and possibly if pact of the chain go invisible

You have to consider that find familiar is practically a class feature for wizards, who are already powerful enough.
>>
>>51227522
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that non-owl familiars don't make advantage too easy to get. You'll sacrifice your scout and touch-spell delivery system for that day in exchange for absorbing one attack (if it doesn't get hit by an AoE) and giving you advantage on one attack.
>>51227552
They absolutely can target it. Owl gets flyby, which is what makes it unbalanced, but the other familiars are way better balanced. Raven flies in, gives you advantage, and then either eats an opportunity attack, an AoE hit, or a normal attack.
>>
Has anyone played an oath of conquest paladin?

How'd you roleplay it? How'd it go?
>>
How much benefit could a Martial get out of a familiar? Assume Magic Initiate is in play here.
>>
>>51227584
With flyby, they have to make a ranged attack with a slight chance of missing. Not every monster has ranged attacks, and it might even be able to fly far enough away that it won't be hit by a 30ft attack.
And then that's an attack ate up.

I don't think familiars should be able to usually give advantage. They already have enough utility and wizards already get them for free. Why not just give the wizard a free bag of holding while you're at it?
>>
>>51227638
Rogue can use an owl to get free advantage on sneak attacks. Everyone else could use it to get a better chance of a critical hit, but paladins stand out as benefitting particularly from it with smite.
>>
>>51227584
>Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that non-owl familiars don't make advantage too easy to get. You'll sacrifice your scout and touch-spell delivery system for that day in exchange for absorbing one attack (if it doesn't get hit by an AoE) and giving you advantage on one attack.

That can be incredibly worth the risk, and possibly not a risk at all if you plan it right. Granting the fighter in your group advantage at the right moment can leave you with a dead enemy.

>>51227638
>How much benefit could a Martial get out of a familiar? Assume Magic Initiate is in play here.
Almost as much as the wizard.
>>
>>51226552
Ok, narrowed down this list to 18 maneuvers available to learn. Let me know what you think.

Burning Blade - Spend 1 ki, deal an extra 1d6 fire damage on next weapon hit. At 9th level, you may spend 2 ki to deal an extra 2d6 fire damage. At 15th level, spend 3 ki, deal an extra 3d6 fire damage.

Feigned Opening - Spend 1 ki, as a reaction you may force an opponent to use their reaction on you. If successful, you may attack them at the same time they attack you.

Child of Shadow - Spend 1 ki, can Hide as a bonus action.

Spider Dance - Spend 1 ki, cast Spider Climb upon yourself as an action.

Bonecrusher (Level 9 required) - Spend 1 ki, next melee hit deals an extra weapon die in damage. Critical Strike range increased by 1.

Mind over Body (Level 9 required) - Spend 2 ki, as a reaction, you may choose to make a WIS save throw next time you have to make a CON save throw.

Overwhelming Mountain Strike (Level 9 required) - Spend 2 ki, next melee hit deals an extra weapon die, and target's move speed is reduced to 0 until beginning of your next turn.

Giant's Size (Level 9 required) - Spend 2 ki, cast Enlarge on yourself as a bonus action.

Moment of Alacrity (Level 11 required) - Spend 2 ki, can act during a surprise round.

Mirrored Pursuit (Level 11 required) - Spend 2 ki, as a reaction, you chase after a foe that moves away from you up to half your move speed.

Iron Bones (Level 11 required) - Spend 2 ki as a bonus action, for next minute you take half damage from slashing, piercing, bludgeoning damage.

Continued below.
>>
>>51227657
I've said that owl is unbalanced from the start, mate. Non-owl familiars being able to give advantage isn't as bad because they don't have it nearly as easy getting out alive.
>>51227678
>Granting the fighter in your group advantage at the right moment can leave you with a dead enemy
Absolutely. Same thing goes for the rogue, the paladin, or the sorcerer. I'm not saying it isn't a strong spell, because it's extremely strong, but if you remove the owl it's pretty decently balanced as a "once per fight" trick, that is reusable if you kill someone with it.
>>
>>51227701
(cont. from above)
Radiant Heat (Level 13 required) - Spend 2 ki, for next minute, foes that enter square next to you or start turn next to you take 2d6 fire damage.

Shadow Noose (Level 13 required) - Spend 2 ki, make ranged spell attack (Prof. bonus + WIS mod), 30 ft. range. On hit, deal 4d6 necrotic damage. Attack has advantage if target doesn't know where you are located.

Dragon's Flame (Level 13 required) - Spend 2 ki, make a cone attack, 30 ft. range. Foes within make a DEX save (DC = 8 + Prof. mod + WIS mod) or take 5d6 fire damage on fail, half damage on success.

Blade Flurry (Level 17 required) - Spend 3 ki, make 4 melee attacks vs. target foe for 1 Attack option, all 4 attacks have disadvantage. Can only be used once a turn. Requires a weapon for each attack.

Rising Phoenix (Level 17 required) - Spend 3 ki, for next minute, gain fly speed equal to your current move speed.

Fool's Strike (Level 17 required) - Spend 3 ki, as a reaction you may reflect the next successful melee attack on you back onto the opponent.

Wolf Pack Tactics (Level 17 required) - Spend 3 ki as an action, for next minute any time you and an ally is in melee range with your target, you grant them and yourself advantage on attacks vs. that target.

My thinking is you start with 2 maneuvers, and learn another one every odd numbered level. That means a total of 9 maneuvers learned by level 20.
>>
>>51227727
My mistake, that number at the bottom is wrong. You stop learning maneuvers once you hit 9 learned at level 17.
>>
>>51227401
Still need an answer to this.
>>
>>51227709
And I'm saying the help action at all is unbalanced, not just owl.
>>
>>51227789
Surprise round is meant to be that whomever is in it moves and attacks first. Basically, if normal combat begins in round 1, surprise round stuff is in round 0.

So yes, Rogue will still have Unseen Attacker advantage, if the enemy's passive perception doesn't beat the Rogue's Stealth check.
>>
File: plate12.jpg (26KB, 450x230px) Image search: [Google]
plate12.jpg
26KB, 450x230px
Can a Thief in a duel use a Sleight of Hand check to make a feint with their rapier to try to gain advantage on their attack and sneak attack?

I'm trying to be honorabru instead of pocket sanding and cutting their throat like I normally would.
>>
Gearing up our wagon for a mircromanage hefty open-world campaign.

Things like keeping barrels of water and trail rations for the times where we can't, or don't want to stop for forage are things we keep track of.

What are some must have essentials for travelling, we've got a few scrolls of mending for the road, an arcane-locked hefty luggage chest for valuables chained to the wagon under the seat.
>>
>>51227915
Yes, but it would likely be an action to do, setting it up for next turns attack.
>>
>>51227915
A Thief can use Cunning Action to use Dash, Disengage, Hide, Sleight of Hand, Thieves Tools or Use an Object so no
>>
>>51227945
Horses, or if it's an evil campaign, zombies.
Last session the party of three necromancers, a rogue and a fighter chained their bandit zombies to the wagons after the horses were killed in an ambush. Good times.
>>
>>51226813
>>51226832
Been meaning to ask. Why is this always posted twice when it shows up?
>>
>>51227991
That's why I'm specifically asking about using Sleight of Hand for that since it's such a broad ability.
>>
>>51227945
Fire extinguisher, horse food, healing potions for when your horse inevitably gets shot, a gnome for a back up food supply, something to make a fire so you can cook the gnome.
>>
>>51223677
What is blood magic?
What is mental strain?
>>
More Articifer!

I'm wondering which feats would be considered best for a gunsmith (provided you've reached 20/18 in Int/Dex?

Been looking at Resilient Dex, Medium Armor Master and Sharpshooter, but I don't want to gimp myself too hard.
>>
>>51227995
One is official canon, and according to Wizard's meant to be allowed by default. The other includes Unearthed Arcana (semiofficial homebrew) and various odd supplements.
>>
>>51228022
>Sharpshooter
People are always onto that.

Sharpshooter isn't good for giving you damage, but it is for giving you range if you're so inclined.

Lucky sounds more useful as you really want to land that one attack you get each turn.
>>
>>51227915
No, you cannot use a skill check to gain advantage on every attack you make, which is what you just asked.

Fast Hands very clearly states what it can be used for. Sleight of hand nowhere states it can be used for anything resembling what you just described.
>>
>>51223276
>Articifer
I was expecting this class quite expectantly...

But 4 level spells? LESS Than Paladin and Ranger? Are you fucking kidding me??
>>
Is there any reason I've never heard of this until now?
>>
>>51228208
because the full version is in Storm King Thunder.
>>
Best backgrounds for a alchemist plague doctor?
>>
>>51228178

It's really weird. The class gets an entire feature about sharing spells about in items...then gets basically no spells to share.
>>
File: 1450019510665.jpg (618KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450019510665.jpg
618KB, 1920x1080px
Hey I'm gunna be playing Hoard of the Dragon queen in about an hour and two of my mates aren't showing up to meet the minimum player count for the campaign, anyone from /tg/ wanna join? We're playing in Tabletop Simulator and we have slots for 3 more players for a total of 6.

https://discord.gg/ZPytu
>>
Kenku can speak only with Mimicry, but how about writing?
Like, I know a Kenku can't just say "Hi there" unless he's heard someone else say it before, but what about writing "Hi there" on a chalkboard?
>>
>>51228178
>>51228325
This is something I'll be expressing complaint over in the survey. Both so few spells to share and such a limited list.

I almost think it should have both Fifth level casting and a smaller list of cantrips. If someone should have Shileleigh they should.
>>
>>51228208
Because it's not that useful for minmaxing or as a DM reward and ended up getting the entire idea of prestige classes in 5e scrapped (which is a good thing).
>>
How do I convince my DM to let me play a changeling? The ability doesn't seem all that powerful to me, considering it's only the disguise feature from Alter Self and not the useful stuff, but how would you nerf it to make it seem more reasonable?
>>
>>51228357
>This is something I'll be expressing complaint over in the survey. Both so few spells to share and such a limited list.
>I almost think it should have both Fifth level casting and a smaller list of cantrips. If someone should have Shileleigh they should.
Thanks for the (You).

And seriously, is the class so powerful they can not be full casters? I mean, Bards are 9th level/spellslingers too, and not half a bad skills even without them.
>>
>>51228281

I just ran one with Sage earlier today and it was the hook used to get me to join the partyso I'd say it went well
>>
>>51228022

The real problem is that you don't get anymore attacks to really take advantage of that +10 to damage and trying to get more through dips is still inefficient
>>
File: hy.png (153KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
hy.png
153KB, 600x447px
>>51226190
Well, he wants to get rid of a pretty shitty government. I'd argue they're tyrannical. The thing is, the government is run by three different people. My character wants to rule the whole thing himself unquestioned.

So, the best way I can put it, he'll do whatever it takes and step on anyone to become a benevolent dictator who will finally help the people and villages instead of the nobles and kingdoms. Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Ends justify the means in his eyes, whether that is misguided or not.

NE still? Can a benevolent dictator be considered NE if his climb to power is bloody and brutal?
>>
>>51228428
Changeling isn't overpowered, but if he really doesn't like shapeshifting offer to put a cooldown on it.
>>
>>51228543
No, and Yes. I would argue Lawful Evil, but that depends on the METHOD of murdering his rivals. Honestly, since you say bloody and brutal, I guess NE is appropriate.
>>
File: pThuqDDr.jpg (306KB, 1456x1165px) Image search: [Google]
pThuqDDr.jpg
306KB, 1456x1165px
>>51228543
Honestly dude, alignment is whatever you want it to be. What alignment do you personally think fits him best? Use that alignment. If it doesn't fit, your DM will talk to you and have it change.
>>
>>51228444
Hardly, actually. By review and playtest in a couple of one shots over the course of the week, I've found it a touch weak. Even as a support/utility class it feels rather limited and I was underwhelmed by performance compared to other classes even in a support role.

I feel that 5th level casting would go miles to improving the class's performance. For the alchemist I would like to see the damage scale for the damaging formula lowered and grant expanded abilities or damage to each formula by din of spending spell slots on them not unlike the Paladin's smite feature. They're still a useful tool for damage but now have a bigger edge for damage that is also standard resource dependent.

I maintain, as I've said a few threads back, that I would like to see more subclasses for the class and more thought put into things.

A subclass that has features similar to the arcane tradition first trotted out as the Artificer for one, relying on temporary improving equipment.

A sub class that deals in scroll scribing, ritual magic, and further expanding the spell list.

The Mechanical Servant to be relegated to Find Familiar and Find Steed being added the the Artificer's ritual list, with the Construct caveats placed on Mechanical Servant, and for a subclass dealing with an enhanced and semi permanent servant not unlike the Beast Conclave UA Ranger.

Gunsmith, to this token, needs work as well with per combat resources and combat flexibility. Perhaps taken away from Gun and just being a set of abilities applied to enhancing any special weapon the artificer has made. I understand their want to tie the gun to the Artificer, but making it so central an archetype feels...not insincere but perhaps tacked on.

Lastly, and this I maintain, there should be a Wand Adept Subclass. Giving class features that deal specifically with using Charge items more efficiently, allowing spell slots to be spent in place of charges or to recharge, and give some kind of advantage vs depletion
>>
>>51228543
Definitely evil in some form. Deposing of an entire government and all its members despite a good number not being evil rather than trying to reform it is neutral at least. Doing so to put one's own self in power is definitely evil. Depending on the methodology it may be CE.
>>
>>51228178
>>51228444
Artificer can put their spells into objects so that others can use them and concentrate on them, including haste at higher levels. Giving them full casting would be ridiculous, as they would be having most of the party self-maintaining haste at 5th level.

I would support a bump up to half-caster, but there are very few 5th-level spells that really fit with their caster status as pure support. The best I can find for fitting 5th-level spells is giving them animate objects, though that would make high-level artificers the ultimately action economy cheeselords--especially if they get more than one 5th-level spell, since they could use infusion to let someone else also cast animate objects.

So in the end them being third-casters is actually fine, imo. Mearls has already said that their spell list is likely to be expanded upon, since they played it pretty conservatively for this first pass.
>>
>>51228328
As someone who's played it before, please find a way to not make the rogue have to check for traps every 6 fucking steps. It ruined the module for me.
>>
>>51228679
>So in the end them being third-casters is actually fine, imo
Well... I´ll give it a try tablewise, but I have no great expectations about being the shit, really.
>>
>>51228729
I use passive perception a lot, and some of our characters have good perception so I don't think it will be a problem
>>
My playthrough of a Plague Doctor themed artificer went pretty well today. There was a lack of combat to really test things out but I didn't feel particularly weak. It turned out to be a little harder patching up a severely injured party member than expected as well. A big damn hero moment where the rest of the party crashes in carried by Mecha-Vulture to rescue the Paladin who had accumulated triple digit damage. A alchy potion and healers kit couldn't really get him back into fighting condition so it was good that combat was light.

Utility-wise I felt much more useful as the pretty solid skill list and mobility from the Mecha-Vulture ended up being a prettu big deal. The damage on my acid bombs was alright but I really didn't feel like it was that great. It might feel that way since the next damage upgrade is a level away and I'm underestimating it a bit

All things considered though I felt pretty good about the class.

Final thoughtI think Ritual Caster miggt be a good thing to get for more versatility since you already have limites slots for spells and you can round out that pretty solid utility you got
>>
>>51228936
What kind of infusions did you make?
>>
>>51228974

I had only gotten touse Longstrider once on my Vulture to speed up the rescue. Im gonna try and give party members Enhance ability next game and see if like getting that one on command
>>
>>51229064
If you've got 2nd-level spells I suggest giving Blur a go. That's a particularly strong infusion at 7th level onward, person who activates it is basically dodging for a full minute.
>>
>>51228328
>>51228328
>>51228328
>>51228328
Come on guys I'm pretty desperate here
>>
>>51229177
Your first mistake is tabletop simulator.
>>
So what UA do you think we'll see tomorrow, ranger or another surprise?
>>
>>51227316
The answer is that sorcerers are lying their butts off. They spend just as much time experimenting with magic to make spells as wizards. They just spend all that time actually experimenting instead of a mix of reading and casting.
>>
>>51229223
I dunno. In case of flakes, you can just burst out a board or card game.
>>
>>51229478
Enjoy your board game tonight then.
>>
>>51229464
I think of it more as the difference between a theoretical scientist and a lab scientist. The theoretical guy sits in his office inventing entire new forms of math to describe his theories. The lab scientist instead slaps equipment together and tests his stuff out directly.
>>
Dont the Genasi have CON casting?
Everyone forgets elemental evil.
>>
>>51227701
>>51227727
It's almost funny how much you don't know about 5e while you're trying to do this.
>>
>>51227902
There is no surprise round. There is no round 0. There is a surprised condition which ends after your first turn.
>>
>>51223607
PAM? Polearm Master?

Why not just dual wield clubs?
>>
>>51228729
>I check for traps
'Okay. You see two walls and a floor.'
>Are there any traps?
'There are two walls, a floor. Oh, also a roof, if you hadn't guessed.'
>So no traps?
'I don't know. Traps is a bit general.'
>So I'll go forward.
'Are you sure? I know you're a bit new to this.'
>Look, fine, I look at the floor. Are there any traps?
'There's a regular brick pattern with mortar all over the floor. It's a bit dark ahead.'
>So, no pressure plates?
'Nothing obviously looks like a pressure plate.'
>Okay, then, I poke it all with a long pole.
'That's an extremely tedious and time-wasting way to do it, but I'll let you for now until you get tired or think up a better way. You eventually find a few bricks are loose, without mortar.'
>Okay, obviously a trap, I disarm it.
'How're you disarming it?'
>With thieves' tools.
'Yes, but how? Are you going to pick a lock on it?'
>Well, then, I.. Go around it?
'You're too late. All your noise attracted a wandering monster. Roll initiative.'
'Oh, it goes first. It approaches, steps on the pressure plate.. The walls on each side open up and water starts flooding in. Congratulations.
>FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

>the rogue could have, say, poured water or simply said 'I'll walk along and look for anything out of place' and notice the discrepancy with their passive perception, then walk around it. They could also see if water seeps in while walking.

This never happened, and it'd probably waste even more time.

And that's how you run OSR style traps.
>>
>>51229708
My DM basically said "You check for traps, you move, you check for traps, you move."
"Alright fine fuckit, I check for a trap. No? I go to the mouth of the hall."
"You fall into a pit."
Repeat 15x over and over.
>>
>>51229742
Pfft.

Traps on perception is stupid. It's basically 'there's a trap that fucks you over, but you have to get lucky to avoid it'.

No interaction from the player, just 'you either see it or you don't'.

Perception is already used for enough things, though you might want to use it to see minute details of a trap in the dark or something.
You can still use thieves' tools to try to disarm a trap you can't easily get around, too.
>>
>>51227995
What this guy >>51228027 said, the second one has UA, DM's Guild material endorsed by WotC, the Planeshift books (MtG/D&D crossover), and the custom backgrounds made by the Adventurers League.
>>
>>51227186
Yeah combat can be so loud you need to yell at the person a few metres away if you have any hopes of them hearing you.

And youll still need to yell a few times to get the actual message across
>>
what was that pasta about someone playing d&d with their friends and all of them bringing monks?
>>
>>51229790
Perception
>You notice something amiss. Holes, loose tiles, tripwire, etc.
Investigation
>That's a trap. Darts, pits, carefully balanced boulder, alarm.
Thieves' tools
>The trap can no longer be triggered.
>>
File: kung-fu fighting.png (37KB, 777x654px) Image search: [Google]
kung-fu fighting.png
37KB, 777x654px
>>51229902
this the one?
>>
>>51229902
thanks

i thought it was funnier though
>>
>>51229987
There was another one, I think.
>>
>>51223506
I played a gay barbarian who treated everyone like a bro-dude but couldn't speak well near woman.

[spoilers]So basically me[/spoilers]
>>
>>51229954
all pastas are better when you think back about them
>>
>>51229922
So, basically
>roll or have a passive perception
'You see this'
or
'You trigger a trap because you rolled poorly / your stat isn't high enough. Roll a save maybe.'
then
>roll investigation
'This is how the trap works'
or
'You don't know how the trap works'
then
>roll thieves' tools
'The trap no longer works'.

That's horrendously boring, it kinda half defeats the point of a trap that makes you think about it.

Instead, I'd be saying it's more like
>Meet these conditions: Have someone who isn't fucking blind, decent perception, don't be running and be moving carefully, have enough light to see and maybe not just dim light
You find a trap
or
You trigger a trap because you've been reckless.
then
>Figure out how what's going on. If in doubt, roll investigation
As above, you're either told information or you have to work it out yourself. This is normally the same as above unless you go by 'your characters don't know anything only you know'.
>Thieves' tools or logic
You either use logic to get around it (Say, fucking walk around it, throw a stone there, use an ability, melt the trap) or.. Logic. Thieves' tools is logic, you can do things with thieves' tools. You don't just 'I stop the trap from working', you 'I get a crowbar and wrench the plate open, and I can do it reliably because I have thieves' tools expertise, I'm used to this, no need to ask me to roll'. Then you Jam up the mechanism underneath. Then you continue on.
>>
>>51230017
>>51229922
Of course, what I just said takes a lot more time so you want to make traps less frequent and it doesn't fit 5e as well when you expect a certain number of encounters a day, but...

The only point of a trap you only roll on is to basically discourage roaming in a dungeon, to reward people with high perception (as if they're not rewarded enough already) / proficiency in that stuff and to create a dilemma that players have to work their way out of (unless it's not a pitfall trap but, say, just a fireball that deals damage to them, in which case what the heck.)
I wonder if there's a fast yet descriptive and more meaningful way of running traps that doesn't have people trying everything they can think of but also doesn't reduce everything to meaningless rolls.
>>
>>51228551
Uh, yes it is. The feature isn't "alter self", it's "polymorph".
As in "I use an action to grab +2Str +2Con from being an orc" or "I use an action to grab Darkvision and +2 Cha from being a half elf".
>>
>>51229922
>>51229790
>>51229708

I'd run it slightly differently..
When your players enter a dungeon, ask them if they're going to do it QUICKLY or CAREFULLY.
Give each trap a concealment DC. This is what perception roll is needed to see them.

>Quickly
PCs move at normal speed. If a trap's concealment DC is greater than their passive perception, they miss it. They can STOP and roll perception as a full-round action.

>Carefully
Treat the PCs passive perception as DOUBLED. Move at 5/10 feet per round. Less noise (fewer wandering monster rolls).

You don't need to have the players move on a grid in initiative order, but just having in your head "this room will take them X rounds/seconds to check and clear" gives you a better idea of how to track time limits like a pursuing army.
>>
>>51230093
That's a holdover from past editions' wording. It does not act like Polymorph, the spel.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/02/04/changelings-shapeshift/
>>
>>51230095
Something like that. Players trying to run through a dungeon should be basically in the 'Bad shit is going to happen unless we know the path is trap clear from moving through there before, we're willing to accept traps might spring and cause us extra dilemmas'

Players moving carefully through the dungeon shouldn't have to worry about making perception rolls to notice anything but the most bullshit of traps / traps that need things like seeing invisibility. You usually just straight-up tell them it's there to save time if they're being careful, and they've gotta work out how to get around it or maybe consider using it to their advantage later.

No need for a rollfest unless they want to investigate or perception or something to work out anything extra they didn't notice/work out.

Players will learn not every trap needs to be tinkered with, as some of them might be hard to disarm without just setting them off, and a skilled trap-disarmer will probably know that it's hard to disarm. Say, magical wards that they can't tamper with with tools.
>>
File: Surprise.png (19KB, 652x214px) Image search: [Google]
Surprise.png
19KB, 652x214px
>>51229646
Okay, now this is something that is amazing subject to a lot of discussion. Trust me, I spent the last hour researching on 5E's surprise and Assassinate (just on that alone there's a 60+ page topic over at ENworld).

See pic for RAW.

What IS your first turn in combat? A surprised enemy does nothing in his turn during the first round. Does that count as it taking its first turn, if it effectively does nothing? If the enemy rolls higher initiative than you, does it really make sense for them to stop being surprised before the attack can even land?

Several scenarios can happen depending on how you interpret the rules.

A) Surprise ends during the enemy's turn in the very first round, you roll higher init

1) Attack benefits fully from Assassinate.
2) Enemy's turn, and, despite it being unable to act, is no longer surprised.

B) Surprise ends during the enemy's turn in the very first round, you roll lower initiative

1) Enemy's turn, and, despite it being unable to act, is no longer surprised.
2) Your attack no longer benefits from Assassinate.

C) Surprise ends during the first turn where the enemy can actually take actions, you roll higher init

1) You get all the benefits of Assassinate on your first attack.
2) Enemy's turn, but he cannot act.
3) Subsequent turn, enemy hasn't acted yet, you get the benefits of Assassinate again.

D) Surprise ends during the first turn where the enemy can actually take actions, you roll lower init

1) Enemy's turn, but he cannot act.
2) You get all the benefits of Assassinate on your first attack.
3) Enemy's turn comes up again, you no longer benefit from either of Assassinate's benefits.

So which scenarios are correct, /5eg/?
>>
>>51230121
>>51230093
Do you think my DM would let me have it if each use costs me a level 2 spell slot?
>>
>>51230196
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-july-2016

> The intent is that a surprised creature stops being surprised at the end of it’s first turn in combat.

A and B. If you doesn't get higher initiative, you waste assassinate opportunity.
>>
>>
>>51230196
At least from RAW there's nothing that says the surprised 'condition' ends after their first turn.
In fact, there's nothing that says the surprised condition ends ever - it just stops your first turn from happening.

However, sage advice is as per >>51230269
Which is kind of silly, honestly, but I suppose all the more reason to take alert on an assassin. Also makes a level of UA ranger even more powerful. It means monsters still have a chance of avoiding autocrits by rolling high initiative, I guess.
>>
>>51230269
I understand the rule mechanically, but I'm having a hard time understanding it from a roleplay perspective.
So this guy is just minding his own business, whistling and shit. An Assassin Rogue sets up perch on a rooftop 60 feet away, and shoots them with a crossbow.
Initiative is rolled, whistling bum rolls higher.
So you're telling me the guy that was completely distracted is somehow not surprised that a guy they had no idea was there shot them?
>>
What reliable ways are there to get darkvision? It doesn't need to be permanent, but I want at least eight hours per day.
>>
>>51230311
I would hate that sword if only for how much it would slow down combat.
>>
>>51230355
The spell.
>>
>>51230343
He gets a surprise round since the whistling guy isn't prepared for combat.
>>
>>51230017
>Meet these conditions: Have someone who isn't fucking blind, decent perception, don't be running and be moving carefully, have enough light to see and maybe not just dim light
Running gives you -5 perception. Dim light gives you disadvantage so -5 perception.

Understanding how the trap works tells you how you might get others to trip it, and use it to your benefit, or avoid it and leave the trap for later.
The rest is just you expecting players to jerk you off instead of using their abilities. It's fine if that's how you prefer, but there can be the feeling that you're just jerking off and not being impartial.
>>
>>51230375
Yeah but that's the thing, surprise rounds -aren't- a thing in 5E. That is why this is excepcionally confusing. It was stated in Sage Advice that the moment you take an attack action out of combat, Surprise and Initiative are immediately determined and everything proceeds as normal.
>>
File: dqq.jpg (616KB, 704x563px) Image search: [Google]
dqq.jpg
616KB, 704x563px
>writing the next story/plot hook as the last plot thread is done
>want the BBEG to be called "something, the Crimson King"
>sounds cool as hell
>we've all read JJBA and listen to King Crimson

I don't wanna break immersion but the name is so cool
>>
>>51230371
Should have mentioned, I'm a rogue, not a caster, and the party doesn't have a caster who gets it.
>>
>>51230380
Well, I'm not sure there's any definite agreement on 'Just fucking roll thieves' tools' versus 'Actually describe what you want to do to the trap' but I think everybody should agree that most traps should be easy to see if you're moving slowly and you have proper lighting.
>>
>>51229658
Because you can 1hand a quarterstaff which qualifies for Shillelagh, you can get the +2 from dueling, get Polearm Mastery since that also works with it AND wear a shield on top of that.

tl;dr, quarterstaff is masterrace.
>>
>>51230396
Then go for it.
Nothing would be made ever if we didn't crib a little bit of something from something else.
If anyone asks, just say, "I liked the name. I thought it sounded cool/fits the character."
>>
>>51230396
How about Burgundy or Scarlet?
>>
>>51230343
If whistling bum is a wizard, he can cast shield as a reaction only if he rolls higher on initiative. If the guy could react to your attack, can you really call him still surprised just because you shot first.
>>
Can a monk use the catch and throw part of deflect shot if it the initial ranged attack would have missed?
>>
>>51230465
It's a question of how the fuck can he react to something he isn't expecting in any way or form. He's realizing he's being attacked when the arrow's already halfway through its trajectory.
>>
>>51230493
No. You can only deflect missiles when you're hit.
>>
>>51230515
He hears the clunk of the crossbow firing or the thwapp of the bowstring.
Let's be honest here, only someone exceptional is going to regularly beat an assassin rogue for initiative.
>>
>>51230515
He doesn't get a full 6 second turn, but he can take reactions which means he can at the very least move his head slightly to prevent an attack hitting his vitals perfectly.
>>
>>51230343
The DM should call for initiative before the Assassin Rogue attack. The bum is fast enough to dodge a headshot.
>>
File: 76.jpg (40KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
76.jpg
40KB, 400x300px
>>51230545
>>51230549
I'll take you guys' word for it. Here's a different spin on the question though.

Assassin sneaks up on Mook undetected.
Mook rolls higher initiative.
Mook is no longer surprised.
Does the Assassin still have advantage from Unseen Attacker, or is it assumed that during its turn, the Mook saw him approach?

It seems like a moot point to do Stealth vs. Perception tests before the attack if initiatives are just going to blow it.
>>
>>51230660
The enemy hasn't taken a turn in combat yet so assassin grants advantage.

Also, stealth still saved you from having the enemy move first.
>>
>>51230660
Unseen Attack advantage still apply.

That thing doesn't have anything to do with surprised.
>>
>>51229622
Care to enlighten me then, or are you one of those people who feel that homebrew are always shit and shouldn't be attempted ever?
>>
>>51226881
You could pretty much use the same backstory as a ranger, since it's basically the same idea.

>>51229658
You can one-hand a quarterstaff and still get benefits of PAM. That frees up your other hand for a shield and lets you use dueling too, which more than justifies the feat tax in my opinion.

In other words, for an 11th level fighter with 20 WIS and shillelagh already cast on a previous turn:

>Dual clubs w/ two weapon fighting: 4d8 + 20 (avg. 38)
>Q. Staff w/ PAM and dueling: 3d8 + 1d4 + 28 (avg. 44)
>>
>>51230660
He is still hidden until the attack hits or misses, so he has advantage on the attack roll.
>>
File: rs536.png (220KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
rs536.png
220KB, 500x385px
>>51230752
So according to previous posts, they're no longer surprised, as they went first on the initiative order, and they see the attack coming, but they haven't seen the attacker, even though they're the ones doing the shanking? This is what's confusing me.
>>
What my DM does is just have combat start when both sides are aware of each other.
Walk into each other in the dungeon? Combat immediately, initiative rolls all around.
Assassin sneaks up and stabs a guy in the back? He does the stab action, anyone who is aware of him goes into combat and rolls initiative.
Bard stealths around in Greater Invisibility and then shoots a guy with his crossbow? He does an attack action, then everyone who notices rolls for initiative.
>>
>>51230786
No, they don't see the attack coming, as the attack doesn't happen until the assassin's turn.

It's like having a hidden enemmy during combat: you know there is someone, somewhere, but you don't have a clue as to where they are. The mook just realizes something is wrong quickly (higher initiative), so he isn't surprised. But he still doesn't know where the assassin is, so the atttack still has the advantage from the unseen attacker.
>>
>>51230355
Three levels in shadow monk, or any casting class that gets the Darkvision spell.
>>
>>51230905
Oh also: two levels in Warlock, take the appropriate invocation.
>>
>>51230834
That's simpler, but wrong.

By RAI the bard walks in, rolls stealth, likely with advantage. Anybody whose passive perception is lower (or equal to?) than the lowest stealth roll by the party is surprised, and anybody in the party who didn't roll stealth is also surprised on grounds that they didn't take part in the ambush.

Honestly, it's not much different except for the fine details.

Also, starting combat whenever you see anything seems like a bit too much faff. I'd basically say 'The moment something decides hostility, initiative is rolled.' otherwise it'd be 'the first person to decide to act is where the initiative starts' which means rolling a high initiative roll is actually bad.

>>51230355
Artificers get 'goggles of night' at level 2.
Warlocks get devil's sight at level 2.
>>
>>51230834
>>51230957
Whoops deleted a part of my post.

Then again... I'm thinking it's probably okay to roll initiative straight away, because it promotes actually having fights in D&D rather than talking things out, and players can choose their actions to be 'dodge' or 'store action'. Players should know their choices, however.

As long as the DM isn't doing stealth wrong (invisible people don't roll stealth, or monsters always roll active perception instead of passive) I'd say what your DM is doing it perfectly fine.
>>
>>51230985
Invisible people do still roll stealth, though. They simply become able to hide without going behind some cover. You can still hear them or, say, see their footprints on some surfaces.
>>
>>51230786
You know you can hide in combat right? It's the same case.

If you want to go all anime, just say the opponent feel your "killing intent" and then ready his stance or whatever.
>>
>>51231079
I think that's what he said. Not rolling stealth while invisible is an example of the DM "doing stealth wrong".
>>
Got a question about initiatve. I know when players roll equal initiative, they decide amongst themselves who goes first. But what if a player ties with a monster? Is there any rule written anywhere about whether the monster or the player goes first? I can't find it.
>>
Readying actions shouldn't be done out of combat, and initiative should be based on wisdom + dexterity modifiers
Surprise is lost after you reach your first 'skipped' round, or the first attack that hits (even in multiattack), you'll be trying to defend yourself at this point.
Rogues only get bonus from being hidden at beginning of combat, unless they move, can't keep hiding in the same spot
Rogues can't sneak attack oozes, zombies, etc because they don't have weak points
>>
>>51231149
DM breaks all ties. i.e. DM chooses.
>>
>>51231149
PHB, 189. Right under Initiative.
>>
So what can you even do with Artificers that wouldn't be better with a full caster? Sure you can let others use spells, but if they wanted spells that bad they should have gone Wizard.
>>
How do you politely tell another player his proposed character concept is horrible and has no chance of meshing with the rest of the party at all?
>>
>>51231161
> zombie and oozes
> don't have weak points
>>
>>51231212
Why won't you make a session 0? Having everyone make characters together tend to weed out that kind of problem.
>>
File: it's shit.png (152KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
it's shit.png
152KB, 500x200px
>>51231161
>Rogues can't sneak attack oozes, zombies, etc
>>
File: Capture.jpg (30KB, 464x174px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
30KB, 464x174px
>>51231149
Its in the combat section.

Under initiative.

Weird right?
>>
>>51231212
Try to suggest options that would change that without having to re-build the entire concept from scratch, you know, so it won't turn off the player.
What's the concept?
>>
>>51231161
>>51231239
It doesn't make sense for zombies that much but oozes really don't have any weak points.
>>
>>51231161

>Zombies don't have weak points.

...I'm not sure how you can exist in the modern world without hearing 'Shoot zombies in the head' with how over-saturated we are on zombie stuff.
>>
>>51230168
If you want to be Fun, then add little discoloured patches to your dungeon floor that AREN'T traps.

Matthew Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders books are pretty good examples of modern day, Indiana Jones style dungeoneering. Some notable traps include...

>A complex set in an area with a ton of volcanic activity. Pipes release volcanic material when pressure plates are tripped.

>A twin-path dungeon. Puzzles in one path disable traps in the other path. Each path's puzzles are based on the writings of different philosophers.

>Solid platforms hidden under the surface of an algae-covered lake. The algae is toxic if it gets into your eyes, nose, mouth, etc. You must LEAP between the platforms as they are too far apart to walk.

>A quicksand pit with handholds on the ceiling. Certain handholds are fake and will drop you if you put weight on them. Only authorised entrants are given the correct sequence of rungs.

>The treasure is at the top of a cavern. Entering the cavern triggers a number of fire traps- the smoke will make the top impassible.

>Sliding crush-blocks in a sloping passage that herd you towards a spiked pit. The block has runners OVER the pit, so you can actually hide in it and be perfectly safe.

I probably forgot a ton of good ones.
>>
>>51231230
How do you have a session 0? I usually let people make characters on their own, but doing a session 0 sounds like it could be fun.
>>
>>51231321
>How do you have a session 0?

Well what you do is, you gather everyone together at your house like you were going to play.

But instead of playing, you sit around and talk about your characters and create them together so they all fit nicely.

This is also a good time to establish rules like, no lolis, no PK.
>>
>>51231212
Be direct, but not rude. Offer some advice for a compromise that would let it or something very similar to it work. . "I'm afraid I don't think that will work with the party. Maybe you could do x instead of y, that way it would work better with the party.
>>
But the question is, where can I download all the modules for fantasy grounds without having to pay for them?
>>
>>51231367
The Internet
now Fuck Off
>>
>six 5th level PC party
>last encounter of dungeon incluedes a bodak
>barbarian gets ready to attack and bodak looks at her funny
>barb fails save spectacularly and drops to 0 hp
>everyother player makes it clear THEY ARE NOT LOOKING AT IT
Well that was fun
>>
File: IMG_4469.png (1MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4469.png
1MB, 1242x2208px
Does anyone have a PDF of this or the second one?
>>
>>51231290
Well yeah but 'modern' zombies use their brains. D&d undead run on negative energy. They'll typically run until you pulp all the bones or dismember the body.

>>51231212
"Your character concept won't mesh with the party. What from it do you like the most?"
>>
So I've been seeing some Battle Master talk here lately. Never touched the class before, how is it?
>>
>>51231443
Disadvantages, ho!
>>
>>51231516

It's a more complex fighter. He still mostly wants to hit people with his sword but he gets a few tricks along with it. It's basically the best archer fighter option about though.
>>
>>51231516
Options so that's always fun
>>
>>51231443
So how do you even deal with that as a melee attacker? Do you just circle around it while looking at it from below the waist then shank it from behind?
>>
>>51231489
I agree, it's not so much that zombies haven't got weak points, it's that sneaking up on them and attacking precisely won't help. They don't dodge anyway.
>>51231516
Really good. You can basically pick any weapon /fighting style and make it work really well
>>
>>51231573
As a barbarian?
Duct tape a mirror to your face?
>>
>>51231573
Have your wizard polymorph you into something with blindsight.
>>
File: 1484490721251.jpg (394KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484490721251.jpg
394KB, 1920x1080px
>>51231161
>lol no weak points
>>
>>51231573
try something other than "I attack it"
>>
How decent is taking magic initiate on a fighter for hex? I know usually everyone gets find familiar, but it doesn't fit my character as much as hex.
>>
File: 1484184433698.gif (809KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484184433698.gif
809KB, 500x281px
>>51231161
Go back to 3.5/Pathfinder
>>
Anybody here play College of Whispers? How did stealing someone's shadow feel?
>>
>>51231545
>>51231559
>>51231602
Awesome. Is it something you could just dip into or is better to main it?
>>
Here's one for you

Alchemist throws a tanglefoot bag down.

A creature with 30ft speed is shoved prone into tanglefoot bag's area.

Somebody casts 'freezing ray' at the creature.

If the creature dahses, can they stand up? How much speed do they have?

(30-10)/2 = 10ft? (30/2)-10 = 5ft? Is the movement they need to stand up 10ft or 15ft? If they dash, do they gain 5ft, 10ft or even 15ft speed?
>>
>>51225536
Still looking if anyones out there that can help
>>
>>51227316
Bad game design.

Also sorcerer having the same d6 Hp die as Wizard is some serious bullshit when they learn their magic innately and don't have to spend decades in a mouldy library.

But then again they gave monks, the class that trains their bodies to become a weapon a Fucking d8 Hp die putting them on the same level as some petty criminals (rogues).
>>
>>51231752
Hex is good. But the limited amount of casting really makes you question whether its worth a feat.

If youre going eldritch knight then yeah.
>>
Also, can a healing draught heal the artificer's level 6 construct? Honestly it probably shouldn't be able to.
>>
>>51223508
I would do that with telepathy or blood magic
>>
Can Stormborn Sorcerer make a good gish?
>>
>>51227316
Laziness. If magic comes easy and you don't have to work for it why do anything
>>
>>51231920
It's (30-10)/2 = 10ft and they need 15ft to stand. If they dash they gain 10 feet, which means they could stand and have 5ft movement remaining... but they couldn't actually move the 5ft since they're in the middle (5ft radius) of difficult terrain.
>>
>>51232259
I'd argue it acts as a mending spell. But it has to be applied to the wound, not ingested.
>>
>>51232259
Ask in sageadvice? Currently you could use it to heal undead and construct like Aura of Vitality.
>>
>>51232281
Just play tempest cleric. Same flavor but better chasiss for gish.
>>
>>51232325
>>51232363
Fair enough for RAW, but it seems like it'd be a bit too powerful. The construct's main disadvantage that keeps it in check is that it could be destroyed and you have to repair it, leaving it with 1 HP after a long rest. But if you can give it a draught before and after the rest it makes it tanking more trivial.

I'm not really hooked up with twotter, but maybe somebody can ask for me. The level 6 construct is likely deterministic of whether artificer is underpowered or overpowered.
>>
>>51232314
Yeah, makes sense. Flat modifiers before multipliers.

Still an awkward combination to pull off because that's tanglefootbag + thunderstone + freezing ray.
>>
So new UA in the morning, what do you guys think it's going to be? Ranger, or something unexpected again?
>>
>>51232522
I hope it's rogue

mostly because I have no idea what else they can do with rogue and want to see what they can do

What else could they do anyways? Trap maker? Some sort of cleric rogue abomination?
>>
>>51232522
I hope it's Ranger because despite it having received the Revision, it has had no new customization options since Deep Stalker.
Meanwhile Fighter has had like, 8.
>>
>>51232522
It'll either be ranger or something unexpected. I'm betting on ranger.
>>
>>51232608
As a matter of fact, actually, is Deep Stalker even adaptable to the Revised version of Ranger?
>>
>>51232666
It was included in the revised ranger UA, so I'm going to say yes
>>
>>51232556
Fey rogue : charm people and disguise people.

Anti-undead rogue : add necrotic damage on sneak attack

Weeaboo rogue : auto advantage on attack. Able to use STR on bow and gun.
>>
>>51230738
Nothing against good homebrew, but I'm not going to try to teach you literally everything from my phone. I gotta sleep
>>
>>51232802
>anti-undead
>add necrotic damage
Shouldn't that be radiant?
>>
Hey Fiveegg, how do be a more creative player?
>>
>>51233066
Drugs
>>
>>51228018
>mental strain
Wisdom faggot
>>
Okay so im new to DnD, me and about 4 other guys are going to start playing soon. Is the standard starter kit enough or is this going to quickly balloon to warhammer level entry costs?
>>
>>51232852
It was a joke anon. Look at all the previous anti-undead UA.

Druid's circle of the twilight > necrotic damage
Cleric's path of the grave > necrotic damage
>>
>>51233275
The $15 starter kit? That's enough to play for long enough to decide if you're into it.

For a full game, you'd ideally want the full books, but those total to less than $100, divided among the group.
>>
>>51233315
alright thats much easier to swing. Thanks for the information. Also, is it possible for a DM to have a character or we going to have to rotate DM duty so that we all have the ability to play? Only asking since Id like to actually have a character but im likely to end up being the DM
>>
>>51230396
Vermeil
>>
>>51232522
ANTI-UNDEAD ROGUE
FEY ROGUE
BATTLEMASTER ROGUE
>>
>>51233381
Generally, it's discouraged to have the DM playing a full-on player character. If you just want someone to roleplay consistently, consider encouraging the player characters to get some followers/hirelings/etc.

Rotating DM is an option, though overarching plots can be a bit trickier to execute.
>>
>kenku rogue sneaks down a hallway and looks in Door #1
>three bugbears
>keeps going and peeks in Door #2
>three bandits
>gesture everyone out of the hallway
>don the signifying cloak of the bandit group
>kick in Door #1
>Your employment has been terminated; no more pay. The others will be along shortly to kill you.
>leave and kick in Door #2
>The bugbears are turning traitor!
>leave and run out of the hallway
>walk back into hallway a minute later
>six corpses
feels pretty good
>>
>>51233457
Bugbears take pay?
>>
>>51233441
>>51233381

It's discouraged mostly because some DM's mary sue it and jack the rest of the players along on the DMPC's rails. If you think you can play that character without doing either of those things, do so, if not, don't.
>>
>>51233473
How do you think they afford oil for their whips
>>
>>51233473
>he doesn't have a bugbear hireling
>>
>>51233533
>Walk into Goblin Camp
>Alright shitheads, I have 1000 gold.
>I'm willing to give that to any survivors
>Fight me, fight each other, I don't give a fuck. The ones left over at the end earn the cash and a monthly salary.
>>
File: warblade.jpg (191KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
warblade.jpg
191KB, 400x500px
How big is the difference between 20 AC and 21 AC in terms of how often you get hit? I don't have a good grasp of 5e math.
>>
>>51233477
Yeah, i figured that if i did actualyl play a character during a campaign in which i was DMing, id limit the guy to being more focused on solely combat instead of the aspects of the game that are about surviving the game world. I'll see how it all shakes out

>>51233441
Hm. Maybe we'll rotate DM's after each campaign, and then have that DM's character come into the next campaign with the level and experience of the weakest party character? that way characters could take hiatuses from the game during the time the player is DMing without fucking them over when its their turn to play again. Does that sound more or less okay or would that be game breaking?
>>
>>51233564
Yes, you should take the Defense fighting style. then beat up your party Wizard and take his Staff of Defense +1
>>
File: orcarmy.jpg (147KB, 1200x755px) Image search: [Google]
orcarmy.jpg
147KB, 1200x755px
>>51233555
Thus the PCs became the baddies, started their own monstrous warband, and terrorized the countryside.
>>
File: 1328546908889.gif (135KB, 400x335px) Image search: [Google]
1328546908889.gif
135KB, 400x335px
>>51233583

Fuckin' nailed me.
>>
>>51233567
There's nothing saying you all have to play the same characters from one campaign to the next
>>
>>51230396
>maroon majesty
>red Rex
>scarlet sovereign
>burgundy baron
>magenta magnate
>sanguine sultan
>etc
>>
>>51230396
As long as you know how your villain works, the name doesn't matter.
>>
>>51233637
Really? I thought a big part of this was developing your shitty little level 1 asshole into a big bad monster slayer over the course of several games
>>
>>51228018
Cha
Any of your mental attributes.
>>
>>51233567
I think DM character should get the same xp that every players get. This will promote them to think the encounter throughtly (too easy = no xp for their character. TPK = no xp for their character).
>>
>>51233803
You can do whatever you like. Nothing restricts you to starting at 1 and playing till 20. Actually, it's pretty rare because that process can take years of real world time. But if everyone's having fun with the campaign then there's nothing wrong with it. Most campaigns tend to lurk in the 4-14 range though. If you're all new to 5e then starting at level 1 or 2 is a good idea, but plenty of campaigns start at level 4 or 5 or even higher. Hell, you could start everyone at level 20 if you wanted (though its not recommended). Level 1-20 is literally going from peasant to demigod, so there's plenty of room to enjoy the growth of a character somewhere in between those levels. Sometimes the best part of a new campaign is getting to try a new character/class out.
>>
>>51233992
Does everyone in the party, assuming they all face the same enemies/encounters, always have the same xp? i thought it could be different by who rolled what in certain actions. like if a thief character spends a night stealing while the rest of the party sleeps, he'd get more xp than the rest.

>>51234018
Ill keep that in mind. Im all for the rp aspect of the game but it might take a little convincing to get the rest of the guys into actually getting into a character and not just self inserting all the time
>>
>>51234082
>Does everyone in the party, assuming they all face the same enemies/encounters, always have the same xp?
Up to the DM. Some DMs do experience points where characters earn different amounts of XP for different things, and then characters level up at different times. Makes each character feel more special and unique. Other DMs find it's too much bookkeeping and/or breeds animosity in the group (eg: why did Bob get 50xp for picking a lock but I only got 25xp for convincing the barkeep to tell us where the secret entrance was?!!), so they'll do experience "milestones" where the whole group levels up together when they accomplish enough story goals together. It's entirely up to you which to use though, both can be fun in their own way.

> it might take a little convincing to get the rest of the guys into actually getting into a character and not just self inserting all the time
Yeah, that can be tricky. Some people just need coaxing. Mind you, not everyone embraces roleplay. Your main goal is to have fun, not get hung up on what the "right kind of fun" is.

BTW if you have a healthy amount of free time you might want to check out Matt Coleville's youtube channel. He's a D&D veteran that has a fuckton of videos aimed at new DMs (Running the Game #xx), right from your very first single session adventure on to global politics in your campaign. Mentioning his name here might get me shit on (we're misanthropes at heart) but he does give some pretty solid advice.
>>
>>51231573
One of my players threw a chalk pouch at his face, giving the remaining melees a chance.
Also disadvatage when attacking is not so bad for some classes, our battlemaster used shield bash/maneuvers to gain advantage, the bars threw knives, one of the rogues said fuck it and stayed at range with a bow.
>>
>>51234255
Hm. So if im doing individual points, its wise to be very, very careful as to how much im giving from each action. Maybe ill draft up a table that scales for difficulty and the skill of the character to compensate. I.E., the thief with topnotch lockpicking skills get fuck all from a flimsy lock, but the guy with 2 CHA that persuades the barkeep earns more due to the huge effort that would take his character? do any tables like that exist anywhere already?

Ill check that guy out, im really interested in doing this "right" in terms of having enough knowledge of the game to make it fun enough to get people into at least minor rp
>>
>>51233564
Each +1 AC above 16 AC is a 5% increase in the chances of not getting hit by normal enemies.
At higher levels when facing enemies with +12 to hit it only becomes a flat damage reduction so you can take more hits.
>>
Anyone here ever used the "deep magic" supplements from kobold press? How were the spells?
>>
>>51234307
Personally, I'm against your style of individual points.

It encourage players to split off and dicking around town, which will eat up into play time. And while you're narrating how this thief is going off solo and stealing stuff, what do you think other player would do? They has no chance of interacting with that story or encounter, so they will be disengage with the game and start dozing off, playing dice tower, drawing, playing with their phone. You're pretty much steering people toward bad table manner while you're jerking the thief off.
>>
>>51234307
It isn't necessary to play right, it's better to play fun and learn as you go. Veer to letting the players able to do what they want.
>>
Ideas for Triton PCs?
>>
>>51234307
Page 260 of the DMG has a blurb on experience. If you're going to do non-combat experience (which is optional btw) it recommends to eyeball the difficulty of whatever was done (eg: how good their chance was of actually picking the lock) and then reward individual experience as if they had just completed combat of equivalent difficulty. But if you want you can totally make a list. Or make it up on the spot.

>im really interested in doing this "right" in terms of having enough knowledge of the game to make it fun enough to get people into at least minor rp
There are a few Coleville episodes on engaging players - Different Kinds of Players (#12) is probably applicable here.
>>
>>51234355
As long as you keep it brief it's probably fine.
>Roll 1d20 to see how many rare golden dicks you steal.
>>
>>51234355
Oh not to mention, it's also punishing people who actually care about the story and pushing for the quest. Instead of going of "LOL I AM GOING AROUND TOWN AND EXTORTING AND KILL EVERY NPC FOR XP"
>>
>>51234379
But in that case, the thief already get his reward golden dicks. Why would you want to double his reward with xp AND golden dicks?
>>
File: 1381222783652.jpg (185KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1381222783652.jpg
185KB, 800x1200px
>>51234340

Thanks! What do we mean by "higher levels" here? Like over 10 or over 15?

Also, is there a good place to read about D&D math? I'm sure if I were better at it I could just figure it out from the PHB and MM, but I think I need a primer to really think about it.
>>
>>51234394
It's just carousing. The other players can think up their own rewards/side quests and it gives them more to care about for their characters.
>I craft 300 golden dicks to make up for the sudden dick deficit.
>>
>>51234394
This is why Milestone system is best XP system
>>
>>51232281
Well only if you go rogue....or actually scratch that.
Storm sorcerer is just "Wot4E Monk"-tier bad.
Play a blue or copper Dragon Sorcerer instead if you want lightning.
Shame there's no Dragon bloodline that boosts thundering damage.
>>
>>51232259
Eh I think of the construct as a lesser warforged.
>>
>>51234406
Randomly stealing stuff in town isn't a sidequest and it doesn't require much character investment.

It's as bland as "I'm gonna teach a noble child some sword skill" or "I'm gonna research my **magic** with big boobs witch". Would you also award XP and DICKS for those kind of activity?

Now, if you tie it with some kind of story, it might have been fine. But then that would be stepping back into "solo show in a group show time" kind of problem again.
>>
>>51234437
>I'm going to teach a noble child sword skills
Gives the DM a character that can be used as a quest hook or something the player can be invested in.

>I'm gonna research magic with the big boobed witch
Love interest, and interesting utility spells can be made from it. Making the character more unique.

Like I said, as long as this shit's not going on too long there's no reason the characters can't have their own shit happening.

And golden dicks are a very important niche market in the economy.
>>
>>51234402
Just look at the MM and statblock for adult dragons to see what I mean as higher levels.
>>
>>51233583
We have an Eldrich Knight with a Staff of Defense, Plate, and Shield using Polearm master.

It's fucking retardomancy.
>>
>>51234437
I'd try to balsnce it out and slightly punish dumb shit. For instance, in the thief scenario, if he was out all night stealing, he has to roll a constitution check to see if he's fully functional the next day. If he fails, he has -1 initiative for the rest of the day. Something like that maybe?
>>
>>51234407
Could you explain how milestone would work in non combat xp situations?
>>
>DM wants to run a campaign where the gods and demons and such are sealed away from the rest of the world, leaving things like Clerics to draw from the elemental planes and such instead
How bad, conceptually, is this? I see it potentially fucking up Fiend and Seeker Warlock and Aasimar, at the very least.
>>
isn't it funny that the mystic can't read minds?
>>
>Playing Chainlock
>Took 1 level of fighter on level 1 for flavour reasons
>Took Crossbow Expert with variant human feat
>I RP a monk/brawler type who uses Eldritch Blast in melee only (ELDRITCH PUNCH)
>We are now 11 and I am punching 3d10+15
>Fighter is mad that I can use d10's with 1 hand and still can still carry shield and plate (not that the character uses a shield - we fluffed it as bulging muscles that I need to "flex" Read: Equip)
>also mad that I can push enemies 10ft when I punch them with my ELDRITCH PUNCH
>threatening to suicide his character if game isn't adjusted to make him as good in melee as I supposedly am.

what do?
>>
>>51234533
Not sleeping should give him a level of exhaustion . But that's a different problem altogether.
>>
>>51234551
Actually, milestones typically ignore combat XP altogether. You never get experience just for killing anything (otherwise, why not kill everything?), you just get milestones for advancing the story, or side story, or character arc, or even discovering something out of the way.

An example could be finding the evil bad guy's secret lair. Maybe you beat up one of his henchmen and interrogated him to give up the location. Maybe you helped out an NPC with a problem and they tell you where the lair is hidden. Or maybe you just randomly stumble upon it. Regardless, it's all the same milestone. After that another milestone might be finding a way inside the lair - is there a secret password to open the front gate? A back door to lockpick? Maybe you can scale a cliff and hop over the wall. And defeating your BBEG would be another milestone. Usually this would involve combat but having a nice chat and showing him the error of his ways is technically defeating him too. Milestones aren't all equal either, so defeating BBEG's right hand man is much more important than discovering that the tavernkeep has a rat infestation in their cellar.

Also keep in mind that the DM almost never tells the party about milestones because it just invites metagaming (eg: lets help this NPC because she's obviously important, but the doughnut vendor we just ran into was obviously something the DM made up on the fly so we can safely ignore him). If your party doesn't know what actions specifically will get them milestones then they're more likely to play however feels natural, and explore the world. The DM keeps track of everything behind the screen and then, at the appropriate time (typically at a long rest, or end of a session), announces when everyone gets to level up together.
>>
>>51234597

As long as you fluff those things with a 1-to-1 mechanical replacement I don't see why it would be an issue. Tie Assimar to something else, make the Fiend into an authoritative fire monster, etc etc.
>>
>>51234627
>3 melee attacks and +5 strength are good at level 11
Tell your friend to git gud. Or roll a sorcerer with quicken.
>>
New thread motherfuckers.
>>
>>51234759
Make it! make it! make us a new bread!
>>
>>51234627
Start punching at 10 feet away instead.
>>
>>51234739
>mfw im thinking of multiclassing into sorcerer to quicken eldritch punches.
>>
New bread >>51234822
New bread >>51234822
New bread >>51234822
>>
>>51234799
What is wrong with your fighter? He got 3 attack... so even with longsword, he should do 3d8+21, which is more than your. And he could use bonus action on to shove his enemy with shield for more more dpr.

Maybe you could explain math to him?
>>
>>51234597
Would make me not want to play a cleric tbqh
It's fine to go nuts with story fluff but any DM should think long and hard before taking a sledgehammer to game mechanics.

>>51234627
Call him a munchkin and say that if he wants to be the faggot at the top of the damage meter he should stick to playing WoW.
Also, its your DM's job to recognize that Warlock multiclassing almost always ends up making something slightly broken, like doing 2H melee damage while wearing a shield.
>>
>>51234854
I don't know dude. When that fighter could be doing 3d12+1d4+60 damage.
I don't think 3d10+15 is broken.
Thread posts: 401
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.