[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you like the handle your insectoid/hivemind/biotech/plaguera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: bad-image-comp.png (4MB, 2053x1040px) Image search: [Google]
bad-image-comp.png
4MB, 2053x1040px
How do you like the handle your insectoid/hivemind/biotech/plaguerace-type creature(s) in your sci-fi campaign settings?

Any interesting takes on the idea not seen in these well known examples?
>>
>How do you like the handle your insectoid/hivemind/biotech/plaguerace-type creature(s) in your sci-fi campaign settings?
With my penus.
>>
>>51208885
I honestly hate the entire concept. It's always a convenience to facilitate a number of things, those being..

1. All enemies are not individuals, and thus need/have no development, personality, or motivation of their own, you don't even have to think if they had a life of their own after killing them because they're all just drones.

2. You can take out the king/queen/whatever dominant creature and all the others die out/lose all intelligence/coordination and are instantly no longer a real threat
>>
Only interesting hive race i've encountered would be either the Geth from mass effect or the ones from Enders Game.

Shit like the zerg make my blood boil, they are literally only there to add a sense of danger in a lazy way

>Oh yeah we all wanna kill everything and / or eat/assimilate it
Gets me so damn invested
>>
>>51209220

Making their queen the hero's waifu was also a shit move.
>>
Each person in the hive mind is a person of their own with distinct personalities, ideas, and sometimes even conflicting ideologies. But, they all dip into the same overarching 'cloud' of information and goals. Sadly they're currently all depressed after realizing the world is going to die and there is nothing they could possibly do without making everything worse.
>>
>>51208885
It's renaissance era but
>They work similarly to ants, queen, prince, workers soldiers, ect everything is super specialized.
>There were many hives fighting amongst each other for resources
>During the same period humanoid civilizations developed to late medieval levels and started exploring the continent.
>As they explored and encountered the hives, they changed the balance of power for the bugs weakening one side.
>The war in between the hives snow-bowled from there up to the point one super hive was emerged, like the one in Mexico.
>The hive turned its attention to the humanoid races, at first pushing their shit in up until they unified and went balls deep in military spending, by late medieval/early renaissance standard.
>Eventually they push back the bugs to a natural choke point in the landscape, fortified the shit out of that.
>As of 200 years latter, during the campaign the wall holds and the two neighbouring while still weakened and underpopulated, hold the biggest military to civilian population in the continent and are generally left alone since they literally hold back the apocalypse.

I don't have much more though since my player didn't get really interested in that and took another plot hook.
>>
What would be different in a hive mind culture? Here's a few:
>Greetings are pointless
>Spoken and written language may be limited.
>You wont live with direct relatives (unless there's a Queen).
>Education is limited to research and exploration since all information is already readily accessible.
>Inter-personal conflicts will be nearly nonexistent.
>Probably the only possible way communism would work.
>>
I've read a couple of short stories where the hiveminds are not evil or particularly numerous. They were just a bro-tier race who liked to meet new cultures. I really liked the idea of their instantaneous telepathic connection being useful alongside technology. Plus, the individuals don't mind volunteering for dangerous/suicidal tasks on behalf of others.
>>
The Borg were interesting, until they got a Queen and become beatable.
>>
I love it purely because I love attrition warfare and also because they tend towards a Zerg/Tyranid aesthetic which I love, been playing SC since I was young and the zerg are just the shit to me, might be boring and 1 dimensional but I love the idea of an endless tide of space bugs, especially when the space bugs are hyper-adaptable.
Without the bug aesthetic I'm pretty impartial, I'd be a lot less likely to play the mass human conscript faction than any other but a lot more likely to play the endless bug swarm than any other.
I think the way the faction's aesthetic is designed plays a huge part for me.
I'm sorry for saying aesthetic so much anons, I can't think of any other words.
>>
>>51208885

The way to the futre, if their intelligence become greater the more that there are on a place. The only way a species is going to understand the time travel shenanigans that awaits us in the future.
>>
File: MorgawrMindControl.jpg (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MorgawrMindControl.jpg
337KB, 1920x1080px
>>51208885
I like the way endless legend did it with Morgawr.
As a race they're a single entity and consider each individual to be a part of the whole that is Morgawr, but within Morgawr there are the acknowledged individual facets that make up the whole, a sorta schizophrenic self of selfs.
They also specifically have them leave the ocean because of industry and the troubles of metallurgy without fire and air etc.
>>
>>51209478
>>Probably the only possible way communism would work.
Kek
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.