[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello all, I play a lot of video games but I'm convinced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: buttlestation.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
buttlestation.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
Hello all, I play a lot of video games but I'm convinced anymore that video RPGs are trash at actual roleplay. They are much better than tabletop at dungeon crawls IMO, but characterization and whatnot, forget it.

My problem is I'm also uncomfortable with acting and playing a part, I don't like getting 'into character' and so I don't feel like I can get the real experience of an RPG. Also I find it hard to really roleplay naturally. I mean when someone enters a room, they don't ask someone else what everything looks like unless they're fucking blind. But that's apparently what you have to do when you play tabletop as the DM explains every fucking thing to you. It just seems so stupid.

I guess the question is how do you roleplay and not feel like a dumbass the entire time? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>51203681
You should watch some people actually role-playing, because your preconceptions are a bit off.
>>
>>51203681
You don't seem to have a lot of realistic ideas about what TTRPGs are like, but in terms of not looking like a dumbass, it's like VR. Sure, from the outside you might look dumb, but worrying about not looking dumb is going to keep you from having fun. Everyone there is roleplaying too so no one there is going to treat you like a dumbass for doing what they're doing
>>
>>51203681
>>51203718
watch this https://youtu.be/QNzpg-qdZ0g?t=24m10s
>>
>>51203869
skip to about 24 minutes in if you don't want to listen to pre-game chatter (I have no idea why they don't cut that stuff out)
>>
>>51203681
>how do you roleplay and not feel like a dumbass the entire time?
You have to learn to let go of your self-consciousness and enjoy yourself, or get into character.
It's a lot like dancing. you need to let go a bit to get it right, or you WILL come off like you're bad at it.
It is acting.

Otherwise, 'roleplaying' and 'playing a roleplaying game' are different. There are in-character actions and speech, and out-of-character ones. For example, the DM describing the room to you is OOC, but the NPC talking to you is IC.
>>
>>51203918
>>51203681
Also, the thing to remember is that ROLEPLAYING IS ACCEPTED AT THE TABLE. Nobody should be judging you for doing so. If they do, they're a jerk.
And yes, your autism is showing. But this is /tg/, we're pretty much all autistic here.
>>
>>51203869
A podcast via Skype is not really the best way to learn how to play RPGs. Those people are more concerned with their presentation to the audience.

I meant that you should actually sit in on a real-world game with real people who are really in the same room as you.
>>
>>51203718
>>51203773
>>51203869
>>51203888
>>51203918
>>51203932
>>51203960
>taking OP's bait
>>
>>51204385
not baiting here mate, just interested but really not understanding how to do it properly and not feel like an idiot

how do you roleplay and not feel embarrassed at yourself? I have no idea, I find the idea of acting out a character to be very uncomfortable, as already stated.
>>
>>51204414
>how do you roleplay and not feel embarrassed at yourself?
O shit, were you bullied at school or something? Because that sounds pretty heavy.
>>
>>51204414
and thanks all for the posts thus far, perhaps I need to find an actual group and try it. The only time I tried in the past it was really uncomfortable and I didn't have a good time at all, but maybe that was just a bad group.
>>
>>51204431
no, my school life was pretty uneventful. I just find the act of 'stepping out of one's skin' to be very unpleasant, and I don't know how people get around that sensation. I don't know what it is, maybe a feeling that I'm being disingenuous? In case you couldn't tell, I was not a thespian of any kind in life either, and I never did creative writing as I found it too cringe-inducing to imagine someone reading whatever I put down in words.
>>
>>51204451
>I was not a thespian of any kind in life

Oh shit a ghost.
>>
OP stop being a faggot and make a character that you are comfortable playing. You're acting like roleplaying requires a single mindset and method, and that you don't have a capacity for it. If you want to try it, try it. If you don't like it or it doesn't work, stop being a bitch and find a different hobby.
>>
>>51204470
neither was I
Start with a character that resembles yourself, maybe. /tg/ frowns upon self-inserts because they tend to be power fantasies, so try to not make it a power fantasy.
Oh. Also. Remember that other party memebrs exist (usually), so don't hog all the spotlight.
>>
File: asd431312414.jpg (20KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
asd431312414.jpg
20KB, 210x240px
>>51203681
You dont. You just found out the biggest secret of people who play RPG's; If you "roleplay a character," it's always going to feel stupid. The only rpg games that work are either joke games that nobody takes seriously or games with with minimal stories that focus on gameplay (not just combat, but the flexibility of game play afforded to you by a non-strict ruleset you can't get in a video game, being able to make up solutions to problems, etc). The only way to "have fun" is to push back the stupidity of the experience into the back of your mind and not think about it.
>>
>>51205108
>I have confidence issues
some of us actually can roleplay at the table, don't take your own experience as universal
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.