[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/ Does anyone have experience with getting players to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Hi /tg/
Does anyone have experience with getting players to get invested in roleplaying?

At my table we do a lot of RP, and one of my players just sits there, not really doing anything, playing on his phone and not paying attention, so important shit will happen and he won't know about it because he wasn't paying attention, and then he'll get annoyed later because stuff happened and he couldn't do anything about it.

I've tried a lot of stuff to help him out. I've tried giving out RP experience, but that's just resulted in everyone else being 1 to 2 levels higher than him. I've tried giving the group a mission specifically related to his character, but the party monk ended up taking it more seriously than he did. I've tried having NPCs interact with him, but when I ask him what he does 50% of the time he'll just stare at me and go "I dunno".

It's a really bizarre total lack of creativity, and I really have trouble understanding it. Is there anyone that's uncreative that could offer me some advice? I'm at a bit of a loss honestly.
>>
>>51197863
You may not still be here, but tell him to either get involved or he'll be kicked out entirely.
He's wasting everyone's time, especially yours, the person running the game.
What's the point in him coming if he's only there to roll dice?
>>
File: IMG_20130302_124738.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130302_124738.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>51200258
Not OP, but probably there is few other places where he can get his PokemonGO-ish itch scratched IRL, where people will tell him he killed a dragon after rolling a set of dice.
>>
>>51197863
>then he'll get annoyed later because stuff happened and he couldn't do anything about it.

How often does this happen? If it's a fairly regular occurrence, it needs fixing. Ask him to pay more attention, and as the GM, try to make sure you get his attention when you're doing important shit.

If he's happy not roleplaying much, and nobody else minds, then you might just have to accept that he's not into that. People play these sort of games to meet different needs; some people really dig roleplaying, others dig combat, some just like the social aspect of being with friends, or whatever. If he's not happy, try and identify why he's there in the first place, and throw some stuff that he's likely to engage in his way.
>>
>>51200699
I kind of feel like he wants to roleplay, but he just isn't sure where to start. Like he's kind of intimidated if that makes sense?

He's complained about how much farther ahead everyone is, so I think I'm going to stop with RP exp and switch to milestone at least.
>>
>>51197863
I ran a game about a year ago I ran a game and ran into a similar problem. There was one player who I KNEW was an excellent roleplayer from previous games, but for some reason he kept sitting everything out. Every time something would happen with the group, he would find an excuse for his character to sit it out or leave.

By itself it wasn't a problem, but he kept accusing me of not giving his character anything to do. When confronted with his behaviour, he would just say "it's her character" and brush it off. I think ultimately the problem was that he played a character that he didn't know how to play or just didn't like her enough to get invested in the game.

So my advice would be to just talk things out with him, see if there's a particular barrier keeping him from getting invested. Not knowing much more about the situation, my guess would be that he doesn't care about his character and should maybe consider rerolling.

If you're still around, OP, what's the game like and what sort of character is he playing?
>>
>>51202980
wow that first paragraph was a mess, I should not post this early in the morning
>>
>>51202980
>>51203007
It's a pretty high magic D&D 5e campaign. The players are members of a prestigious adventurer's guild (think Fairy Tail), go on missions, save the world, learn the true meaning of friendship, all that stuff.

His character is a gunslinger named Percy. By the time that I found out what Critical Role was they were already 3rd or 4th level, so I just rolled with it. We're about 8th level now, and the character is pretty different from the show at this point, so I'm not too worried about it.

I've asked him a couple of times whether he wants to try a new character, and he's told me no every time.
>>
>>51197863

You dun goofed OP.

If you want players that do shit, you have to make them do shit even OOG. Basically, that mission "about him"? It should've been something that he put out.

For this, the best thing is a first session about collective worldbuilding and background building, leaving holes to explore later.
>>
>>51203062
It sounds like he's at least interested in his character, then.

Are there any instances where he DOES get active, even if it's really short-lived? Maybe you can pick out something that he enjoys and throw in some more of that.
>>
>>51197863
Thank you for calling the /tg/ complaints department. Have you tried talking to them like a mature adult?
>>
>>51202980
>I think ultimately the problem was that he played a character that he didn't know how to play or just didn't like her enough to get invested in the game.

I've met a handful of folks who want to play the quiet, brooding loner types of character - which is all well and good, until it comes to actually playing a game based around a group of characters working together to achieve a common goal.

Nearly all of them go with the "it's what my character would do!" excuse for not getting involved with the game while simultaneously complaining that they can't get involved. The trick is to just take the character sheet off them and explain that they should make a character that wants to get involved.
>>
>>51203203
I've thought about it some, and I think it's a couple things.
I think it mainly comes down to, he wants to get involved, but he doesn't know what to do a lot of the time. So in lots of situations, he really wants to get involved, but he isn't sure what to do, so he just defaults to playing around on his phone.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
>>
>>51197863
Group creation session.
It helps interparty dynamics tremendously.
>>
Having a really good roleplayer at the table will often help others get more into it, since - if they look cool/make their character look good, then they're going to want to make their OWN characters look good, too.

Though sometimes your players are too unimaginative/assholeish to pull that off, in which case you kind of just give up on them, sad as that is.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.